Sports

Suns like Jimmer Fredette but big man more likely pick

Comments

• Osgrath Provo, UT
    June 23, 2011 11:16 a.m.

I want to commend our friend, Crowntown1, for his continuing public service. He has taken upon himself the thankless task of making sure Cougar fans are never happy. No matter what the level of euphoria or even contentment BYU followers might exhibit, Crowntown1 is faithfully there to rain down a dose of reality on their heads. Without his services, who knows what levels of irrational exuberance might emanate out of Provo.

It's a sad role to take on, but I suppose someone has to do it.

• Snack PAC Olympus Cove, Utah
    June 23, 2011 7:14 a.m.

crowntown1

"Just telling you JIMMER fans your in for a big letdown."

Sure, almost everybody overlooked Jimmer coming out of high school too. Even though Jimmer was named first-team all-state by the New York State Sportswriters Association and the Times Union as a Junior and Senior, and ranked 6th on New York's all-time scoring list, including 12 different 40 point performances in his senior season.

The naysayers were proven wrong during Jimmer's college career, and they'll be proven wrong again during Jimmer's NBA career. Jimmer will be a star in the NBA, a mix of Steve Nash and John Stockton, with a little JJ Barea thrown in.

• crowntown1 Corona, CA
    June 23, 2011 12:12 a.m.

Guess what in college Jimmer took a ton of shots, and in the NBA they are not gonna ask him to do that. Just telling you JIMMER fans your in for a big letdown.

• gizmo33 St. George, Utah
    June 22, 2011 8:09 p.m.

the answer to the Suns problem is not an over rated jimmer

• BlueHusky Mission Viejo, CA
    June 22, 2011 6:05 p.m.

Dr. Dunkenstein

Not sure I'd do much trading for the guys you mention. All nice players, but ESPN talking heads say the the trade movement is for Jimmer.

We'll soon see.

• localblue Sandy, UT
    June 22, 2011 6:03 p.m.

The desnews seems to only quote those positive on Jimmer. But there are many more pundits out there who continue to say he will be nothing more than a bench role player, if that. The issue that most point out about Jimmer is not necessarily his defense but just his pure athleticism and size. He's 6 1, which without a lot of speed and hops, and I am talking about Allen Iverson type of speed, makes it very difficult to succeed in the NBA. People will say he has good vert but he rarely uses it to get to the rim and I think needs to have a perfect launch to do so. He dominated the college game but the NBA is a different beast. I'm hoping he does well but I don't think the Jazz should take him at 12. Take the best PG available at 3 and then a big at 12.

• Dr. Dunkenstein Salt Lake City, UT
    June 22, 2011 5:03 p.m.

@worf | 4:29 p.m. June 22, 2011

Yeah, I've heard the Spurs trade rumors, too (shopping Tony Parker or George Hill to move up to somewhere between #3 & 12), but I'm not sure that's all about Jimmer . . . it's just as likely that it could be about Brandon Knight or Kemba Walker, or maybe even a wing player like Kawhi Leonard, Jan Vesely, or Klay Thompson.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    June 22, 2011 4:29 p.m.

Look for Jimmer in a Spurs uniform. Just a gut feeling.

• MenaceToSociety Draper, UT
    June 22, 2011 3:29 p.m.

If the Suns take James Fredette, I will be very happy. Although that might be too high.

• crowntown1 Corona, CA
    June 22, 2011 2:29 p.m.

This will be probably be the last time he get's this much press.

• BlameItOnTheOfficials Cottonwood Heights, UT
    June 22, 2011 1:56 p.m.

he won't be available for Phoenix because the jazz will be taking him at #12

• SUNNY ALL DAY Saint George, UT
    June 22, 2011 12:19 p.m.

Kidd/Barea

Nash/Jimmer

• bballjunkie Cedar Hills, UT
    June 22, 2011 11:30 a.m.

If he won't be around for the Jazz at 12 then by my math skills he won't be there at 13. So if you want him, you better start trading up.

• CaliforniaCougar Lake Elsinore, CA
    June 22, 2011 10:35 a.m.

I am a lifelong 76ers fan starting with Dr. J, Moses Malone, Mo Cheeks, Charles Barkley, Allen Iverson, etc.

I can't wait until tomorrow to find out who my new favorite team will be. Jazz? Suns? Knicks? Pacers? Kings/Royals?

All options would be fun for me as a fan to follow Jimmer. Going to the Kings and then possibly coming down here to Anaheim the following year has our family pretty geeked about that idea. Going to Phoenix and playing under Steve Nash is a golden opportunity. Staying in Utah with the Jimmer-ites in the stands would be energetic. Going to Indiana to revive Hoosierland is a nice thought. And then heading to Big Apple and being near his hometown fans. If any of these choices pan out for Jimmer, I would be happy. Of course, I'd really like for him to go to the Sixers, but that doesn't appear to be in the cards.

• President Joker Washington, DC
    June 22, 2011 9:33 a.m.

Then they should draft him.