Utah

Doug Robinson: A tale of 3 draft picks from BYU

Comments

• bgl Santa Monica, CA
    June 22, 2011 7:37 a.m.

Wow. This really puts things in perspective. I feel enlightened. Well, not enlightened really--

• NightTrader Colonia, Yap, FSM
    June 22, 2011 1:15 a.m.

Cute article. Some readers need to chill a little!

• deseret pete robertson, Wy
    June 21, 2011 9:42 p.m.

He was right to take the job in utah --- you have to make a lot of money to live in california. what he was offered wouldn't be enough.

• MiP Iowa City, IA
    June 21, 2011 6:26 p.m.

Of all the articles about Jimmer, this is one.

• Vince the boonies, mexico
    June 21, 2011 6:09 p.m.

Wake up peasants! The truth has been told, and as long as we (the idiots) fork over the money and time to the greedy owners and participants, thiinking we are being entertained for a max of 2hrs, this fiasco will remain alive and well in the big wide world of "GREED"! Advertisers pay through the nose for the stupid advertising time then we the peasants reimburse them and the stuffed shirts supposedly for entertaining us. What a silly world fantasy can be huh?

• The Jimmer Salt Lake City, UT
    June 21, 2011 3:04 p.m.

I think this article could have been a lot better...maybe have some news or opinion in it.

• brian timothy Lehi, UT
    June 21, 2011 12:04 p.m.

I think the author's not so camouflaged meanderings are right on the "money". Jimmer is a horrible human being. He should not take advantage of basic laws of economics - that of supply and demand. Further, someone should inform basketball executives how they are missing the point. Their business would certainly thrive if their front line worker bees would only accept below market bread crumbs. Yep thats the picture. Somebody is being more than petty here. What is the point of this article? Is it saying anything we don't already know? Ugh.

• rnoble Pendleton, OR
    June 21, 2011 10:49 a.m.

ed or ow?---neither---how about margaret thatcher---

what is in my refrigerator is a question about details over big picture---adjectives to describe is about language mastery---

• Joe Schmoe Orem, UT
    June 21, 2011 9:19 a.m.

The stupid questions do serve a purpose. It isn't about their job skills but it is about their personality. For many jobs you can train a person in what you want them to do. But you can't change their personality. Asking stupid questions just lets you see what they are going to be like in the workplace. If they give a lighthearted funny answer then you probably can guess you will not have a bunch of personality conflicts. If they give a very opinionated answer then you can guess what they will be like in the workplace. It isn't perfect but just lets you see a bit into their personality. I've seen some interesting stuff in the few interviews I have done.

• John20000 Cedar Hills, UT
    June 21, 2011 9:02 a.m.

BYU Accounting grad gets multiple offers in this economy. Wow!

• Uncle Rico Sandy, UT
    June 21, 2011 8:59 a.m.

Jimmer will make more money because he will entertain more people, make more people smile laugh and complain. Humans need an outlet, and he will provide it.

• Z South Jordan, UT
    June 21, 2011 8:48 a.m.

Ah, tales of the interview. Never have figured out what Oprah or your refrigerator have to do with your ability to do whatever job you are applying for. Interviewers think they are being clever, but rarely do these off-the-wall "thought" questions provide real enlightenment into the suitability of the candidate for the job in question.

• JDL Magna, UT
    June 21, 2011 8:40 a.m.

At the end of the day, it's just money. I wish Ryan, Nate and Jimmer all the happiness in their individual lives and I have the feeling they will all find it in their own, very personal way.

God, Family, hard work, achievement, goals, attitude, perspective, hope, faith, charity... make us who we are and build character that will long outpace this old mortality.

Onward and upward everyone!

• Kouger Lehi, UT
    June 21, 2011 8:16 a.m.

The article insinuates the familiar - yet hushed up - issue of the huge disparity between the money professional athletes make compared to their peers in regular jobs. There's a lot of sarcastic overtones which are pitiful yet true. Oftentimes, the average regular workers complain quietly about the disparity and yet they/we contribute in a BIG way to the problem as fans of professional sports.

• Colorado Reader Littleton, CO
    June 21, 2011 7:57 a.m.

Notice JIMMER applied all over the country. The other 2 just in Utah and maybe California! Maybe they should branch out a little bit and not be afraid to go out into the world. They might just find a job! Being afraid or unwilling to leave Utah is going to hurt them career wise. I used to be the same way but fortunately made a big move 23 years ago and now live closer to 'Home' than I ever have, but leaving Utah was the best thing that ever happened to me and my family.

Way to go Jimmer! The Nuggets could use you! Heck, they could use just about anyone but man would it be fun to watch you play here in Denver!!

• Voice Saint George, UT
    June 21, 2011 12:23 a.m.

Thanks for this entirely fun-to-read article! I laughed several times. I like the irony and the way Doug doesn't make anything out to be "good" or "bad." It is just the way it is.

Thanks, Doug!

• toosmartforyou Farmington, UT
    June 20, 2011 11:52 p.m.

This article reminded me of Seinfeld and other silly things that are meaningless. If I'd been asked which female TV show I preferred and why, I'd have said either "I don't rate TV shows" or "I can't decide between Carol Burnette or Lucy Ricardo.....next question, please." Silly questions seem to come from the "enlightened folks" that do job interviews. (What's in your refrigerator?...how about Food!)

For some reason it's a trendy thing to ask really dumb questions. If I wanted to stump a job candidate (and I've interviewed several) I'd ask them a question about their career that they couldn't possibly know the answer and see if they tried to fudge their way through it, become lost, or simply say they didn't know the answer.

I still am wondering why this article means anything to anyone. Maybe after a night's rest it will come to me.........