Utah

President Packer 'resting comfortably' following fainting spell in Massachusetts

Comments

• Elder Dave Livermore, CA
    June 21, 2011 9:29 p.m.

tkimball of BELMONT, MA is correct on the dates for Boyd K Packer's and Paul H. Dunn's New England Mission Presidency years. President Packer 1965-1968 and
    President Paul H. Dunn 1986-1971. Brother T. Kimball lives/d in Massachusetts
    and I just Know too from having been in the neighborhood too. Both Presidents
    Packer and Dunn were Both General Authorities when they presided over the
    Cambridge based Mission.

I too wish President Packer a Speedy Recovery... God Bless...

• Summerdonna Huntington Beach, Ca
    June 21, 2011 6:55 a.m.

My prayers are with President Packer. You are a dear sweet and brave man. Thank you for all you do!

• PP Eagle Mountain, UT
    June 20, 2011 10:46 p.m.

I have kind feelings for both President Packer and the Longfellow Park chapel. I hope he is doing well and I am glad that the building is too.

• John Pack Lambert of Michigan Ypsilanti, MI
    June 20, 2011 8:53 p.m.

It would be more accurate to say Truman Madsen's widow Ann came to the dedication. This would explain why he was not there, specifically because he is sadly no longer with us.

I join with others in expressing the hope that President Packer recovers. He is scheduled to be the CES Fireside speaker in November. When I saw that I had to say "the people who made this list have faith". However I expect him to be with us at least another year.

• tkimball BELMONT, MA
    June 20, 2011 7:08 p.m.

SLC BYU Fan is not quite accurate on his New England Mission History. Truman Madsen was NE Mission President from 1962-1965. President Boyd K. Packer served from 1965-1968, and Paul H. Dunn served from 1968 to 1971. I came to Cambridge in 1963, and enjoyed them all. Truman was my cousin, and his wife, Ann, came to the re-dedication this weekend. Her attendance was acknowledged by President Low of the Cambridge Massachusetts Stake who conducted the meeting.

• Thinkman Provo, UT
    June 20, 2011 10:02 a.m.

I had the opportunity to meet Boyd a few times and visit his home as my ex-wife's family was friends with his oldest son Alan. While I don't agree with Boyd on some items, he is a man who means well and has raised a very good family. I wish him the best and to get well soon.

• MrsH Altamont, UT
    June 20, 2011 9:22 a.m.

Pagan, how kind of you. Thanks!

• Everest American Fork, UT
    June 20, 2011 9:12 a.m.

Thanks to Pagan for his kind words for someone he does not agree with. Civility wins.

• Pagan Salt Lake City, UT
    June 20, 2011 8:38 a.m.

I hope he recovers.

• Andermart Pullman, WA
    June 19, 2011 10:04 p.m.

Pres Packer is a great example of serving wherever and whenever called. There is no retirement, no time off. Just serve the Lord and His church all the days of your life. I need to do better.

• CougarKeith Roy, UT
    June 19, 2011 8:12 p.m.

I love President Packer, and his dedication to the Gospel of Jesus Christ and to the Lord! I am a convert and his work in the Footnotes of the scriptures, and his intellect is amazing on the gospel! I love that about him, and I love his talks, he says it as it is! I hope he recovers well, and soon.

• BobP Port Alice, B.C.
    June 19, 2011 7:08 p.m.

I was in a district in Halifax when it was part of the New England mission. I was passing through Cambridge, Mass and stopped to hopefully get my temple recommend signed. He signed it and I asked him if he knew of anyone going west to Utah that might want a free ride.

He almost set me up to take a single young lady to Utah with me, she had already left.

He was friendly gracious and kind.

• Mike Richards South Jordan, Utah
    June 19, 2011 7:00 p.m.

Elder Packer holds a special place in my heart. One of his first assignments after he was ordained an Apostle was to my mission in Belgium. He was a kind and influential man who helped us understand even more fully our duties.

When I was released from my mission, I flew to London and changed planes. Elder Packer was on the plane that I took from London to Salt Lake City, with one stop in between. He treated us four returning missionaries as royalty on that flight. When we learned that Salt Lake was fogged in and that we would be spending the night in Denver, Elder Packer took care of us as if we were his own sons. He had each of us call our families and report that we were safe and that we would be leaving Denver the next morning.

Because he had to be in Salt Lake as early as possible, he took the first available flight, but before leaving, he had arraigned our transportation to the airport and our flight.

There was nothing that he could have done that he did not do.

• A voice of Reason Salt Lake City, UT
    June 19, 2011 5:44 p.m.

Glad to hear he's okay! Hopefully he will be out of the hospital soon. I'm sure he'll be happy to be home and with family after this.

• New Yorker Pleasant Grove, UT
    June 19, 2011 5:24 p.m.

All of the apostles seem to give 110% for us. They're always in our prayers, but especially when the frailties of old age approach. They give up even their retirement for us, and we love them for it. Thanks also to their families who also sacrifice so much in our behalf.

• SLC BYU Fan Salt Lake City, UT
    June 19, 2011 5:10 p.m.

One correction that should be noted is President Packer served as New England states Mission President from 1962-1965, shortly after being called as an assistant to the Twelve in 1961 Paul H. Dunn served the 1965-1968 3 year term after his call to the Seventy in 1964.

• SLC BYU Fan Salt Lake City, UT
    June 19, 2011 5:05 p.m.

Lets all pray for President Packer, since he has at least one more dedication, that being the forthcoming Brigham City Temple that hopefully he can be well enough to participate in the dedication of.

• Ok Salt Lake City, Utah
    June 19, 2011 4:53 p.m.

Those guys sure do have a busy work schedule. Good to hear he is doing ok.