Jimmer Fredette impresses during workout for Utah Jazz brass with Kemba Walker

• davidutefan Evanston, WY
    June 17, 2011 1:26 p.m.

I know who won American Idol too but, it doesn't mean I care. I respect his skills and think he was a very impressive college player. Sometimes that carrys over to the NBA and sometimes not. I read most of the sports articles on the Dnews but a lot of times it's just passing time.

• Bugoff Houston, TX
    June 17, 2011 12:30 p.m.

Thanks Jesse I probably misinterpreted your earlier comment. I do agree that if 4 of the college players who pulled out had stayed in Kanter, Knight etc would be down a few spots.

What is missing are top 10 bigs who have some game film that suggests they are reasonable risks.

As far as coming across highly opinionated that is probably true. I also am wrong a fair amount of the time. And my position changes as I get more or better information.

However, I appreciate the reality check from time to time so when I say something that is obviously wrong or that you disagree with please jump in.

To me you discover more of the truth if you have several camera angles.

Right now I am not sure about the 3 pick (unless Williams falls or a great trade develops) I lean toward Knight because Kanter has so little to go on.

Does anyone know about Kanter's inside moves and rebounding.

I suspect the Jazz may go with Valanciunas as he should gain 20 pounds in the next few years. Right now he is listed as 240. He is longer and safer and has a playing record.

• Kakashi Tokyo, Japan
    June 17, 2011 4:24 a.m.

i just hope...that if we get knight...he wont be a westbrook kind of player...i mean...its russel westbrick...throws 20 shots hits a third...

• WhatsInItForMe Orem, Utah
    June 16, 2011 6:10 p.m.

@ davidutefan,

The fact you're here reading the comments is why the SLC papers keep talking about Jimmer. People are reading it!

BTW, TP "over" is easier to unroll.

• Jesse Tooele, UT
    June 16, 2011 3:04 p.m.

Look Bugoff, i'm not saying cite your opinions, i'm saying you don't come off as giving your opinion. You sound as if you are auditioning for NBA insider job when you post. You come off as so matter of fact, such as 'Jimmer WILL take 2 years to develope...' rather than 'I think Jimmer will...'. Sorry to make it personal, because I appreciate all opinions on here. That is why I come to this site daily. I know you're knowledgeable, as most probably do.

Now about your opinion on comparing this years #3 to Deron I have to completely disagree. This draft is much weaker as far as star talent goes. 2005 gave the NBA Bogut, Deron, Paul, Felton, Bynum & Granger and 2nd rounders Ellis, Blatche & Gortat. I don't know that any body available at #3 fits in there. Now if you throw in Favors (#3 in '10), Harris (#5 in '04) and this years #3 then I think the comparison of Deron and whoever ends up at #3 is irrelevant and not on KOC's mind.

• Anonymous Infinity American Fork, UT
    June 16, 2011 11:54 a.m.

The Jazz would be smart to take Jimmer with the #3 pick, since there aren't any players who are head and shoulders above him. He would be a solidifying player for the roster. The Jazz right now have a borderline D league roster. They are no threat to any team that has a legitimate opportunity for a run at a championship, principally because their front court has numerous deficiencies on both ends of the court. The backcourt is simply a joke. Take Jimmer and let's work on improving the other positions. Bye bye Kirilenko is a given.

• Captain L Provo, UT
    June 16, 2011 10:23 a.m.

The Jazz FO spent alot of time over in Europe, I wonder how interested they are in Jonas V. , or Vesely? Montejunas and BB could be picks at 12.
    To bad there won't be a summer league, these kids could use the exsposure to the Jazz system and coaching they would get.
    Favors is the big question to me, will he work his B off and come back much improved? He has great potential , how long will it take to develop? Will he be a big scorer?
    Hayward showed he will work hard and he showed his shooting and scoring will be where we need it to be. He should have a very good year this next season.
    To me Knight is a clone of Harris but he does have a better jump shot. I would rather have Jimmer, Jimmer wants to prove he can be a true point and not just a scorer.

• Mitchell_12 Ogden, UT
    June 16, 2011 10:11 a.m.

Kanter is going to be the MAN in a couple of years! Mark my words. Jazz draft Kanter and Jimmer if Kings and Bucks pass on him.

• davidutefan Evanston, WY
    June 16, 2011 9:52 a.m.

Great college player. At the next level, only time will tell but, are the Salt lake papers capable of going a day without mentioning him? what's next? I'd like to know if his toilet paper is over or under. This is starting to have a "Utah Idol" feel to it.

• Led Zeppelin II Bountiful, UT
    June 16, 2011 9:04 a.m.

Jimmer will go between 4-8. jazz wont get him. I really wish they would make a trade to get him at 4. I think he is worth it. Perhaps even at 3.

• TrueBlue Orem, UT
    June 16, 2011 7:10 a.m.

Jimmer is first and foremost a competitor, a lightsout scorer, and someone who likes to prove the naysayers wrong.

If he's available at #12, the Jazz would be foolish to pass on Jimmer.

• Wombat1247 Mount Beauty, VIC
    June 16, 2011 6:14 a.m.

The more I see & read about this draft - this is what I would consider viable

3 - Jimmer - ( williams - tweener, Knight = Harris, Kanter = mystery)
    12 - Hamilton, Singleton, Leonard or Thompson

or Trade with Washinton 3 & Bell for 6 & 18

This will at least give as some good role players, and then with our 2 picks next year hopefully get lucky in a deeper draft

It will take us at least 2/3 years to get back to compete for the top 6 in the West, so we might as well work and set up for a better future

• BlueHusky Mission Viejo, CA
    June 16, 2011 4:42 a.m.

Many of you say it is a weak draft. I haven't seen the others play except in the tournament. I saw some nice players.

But i have seen Jimmer play nearly every game in the last two years. He is a generational player. He is exceptional. He will be a great NBA player. Jimmer is an unstoppable assassin. The tougher the competition, the better he plays. He can pass and he can defend.

Can he guard Kobe? No, and Kobe won't be able to guard Jimmer. NBA is all about team defense. Many, many NBA players can't be guarded one on one.

I'd take him #1. He is simply special and he'll prove it. He won't be around by 12. Take him if you get a chance.

If you don't draft him, you have to guard him.

• Kakashi Tokyo, Japan
    June 16, 2011 2:33 a.m.

i think there are still contract problems with rubio...so If williams goes number 1...minnesota might opt for Irving...and we might have kanter...also...Jonas Valaciunas...stock is a bit rising...he might go 3...

• ColoJazzFan Aurora, CO
    June 16, 2011 1:11 a.m.

If drafted by the Jazz, what jersey number does Jimmer take? "32" is gone...

• Bugoff Houston, TX
    June 16, 2011 1:01 a.m.

I tend to agree with Rainin Time. I get the impression from KOC that he has already made up his mind that he does not want Jimmer for whatever reasons. He s is "used to the Boos". That was part of one of his answers indirectly on Jimmer.

• RaininTime Orem, UT
    June 15, 2011 11:58 p.m.

I'll chime in, but I come through the lense of a BYU fan and a more of a Jazz observer the last few years, than a paying customer.
    First, I don't follow the Jazz as much as I do BYU because of a disconnect with the Millers, KOC, Ty Corbin and most all Jazz players. The only players I like are Millsap and Hayward, mainly because those two give 100% when I do watch.

Second, KOC's poker face and comments tell me the Jazz will not take Jimmer, nor Walker. The Jazz want Knight or Williams, if available. Those two are who I think they want for their #3 pick. I think the Jazz are assuming Williams won't be available @ 3 so they'll take Knight and Jimmer will be gone maybe at 7 with Sac.

However, if Jimmer is available at 12, and the Jazz picked Knight at 3, they won't take Jimmer and I have no idea who they'll take.

Lastly, I do think Phoenix will take Jimmer at 13 and thus I, and most that I know, will remain disconnected from the Utah Jazz.

• Bugoff Houston, TX
    June 15, 2011 10:49 p.m.

Now Jessie on your last comment. DWill was drafted at 3 as I recall. A 3rd pick in the draft should produce a player of DWill's quality.

I am asking a rhetorical question. Is Jimmer as good as DWill? If he is then he should be drafted at 3. If he is not then the Jazz (if they want him) should try to move down and get more resources assuming they do not think they can get him at 12.

There is no guarantee that Kanter, Knight, Irving, Williams or Valanciunas are as good as DWill. In my opinion Knight and Valanciunas are 2 of the safer picks since Williams is a tweener and Kanter and Irving have very limited or no college playing time.

Jimmer at least has 4 years of game film. His ability to defend is no surprise to those who have watched him for years. However, it is a revelation to those who do not follow him but only lap up what the media dispense.

The Jazz know Jimmer well. This workout was to look at Kemba and measure him against Jimmer (my opinion).

From now on you can cite everything you write.

• wer South Jordan, UT
    June 15, 2011 10:43 p.m.

With all due respect to Ty Corbin, his positive comments about Jimmer (which echoed a number of pro coaches, personnel, players, etc.) just reinforces the perception a growing number of fans have about professional ranks: how come it takes you guys so long to recognize talent?? Jimmer has been on just about every kind of visual media, and you guys are the last to know about him.

Actually, the football "pros" are no better: they have a very difficult time drafting the right players for their teams. One would think the so called experts would act more like, well, "experts".

• Bugoff Houston, TX
    June 15, 2011 10:39 p.m.

Okay Jessie. I watched the video of Kanter that was available and he hit several 3s pretty much at will. He was fluid and comfortable on spot up and moving.

My comments on Kanter playing the 3 were somewhat tongue in cheek as I know he is not an SF but neither is Millsap, Williams nor Morris. He is just as fast and just as quick as Williams. He is quicker and faster than the others mentioned.

I also watched the KY game and video on Knight. He is just as fast as Rose (combine stat) and he drives and shoots well which is obvious from his videos in real games. He is a much better shot than Harris especially from deep.

Your main complaint appears to be the writing style and perhaps you just disagree which is fine. Sometimes I post cites and sometimes I do not. Often I have read the material in the past and do not remember the specific cite but most people who post on here do not cite anything.

As you said it is opinion cited or otherwise. Even if it is cited so what. It is just someones opinion.

• Veracity Morgan, UT
    June 15, 2011 10:32 p.m.

I am putting together a cartell to purchase the Jazz...I need another 350 million and we can do it...then we can draft Jimmer.

• Jesse Tooele, UT
    June 15, 2011 10:08 p.m.

I'm going to vote for Bugoff to stop trying to sound like he's an NBA insider. Everyone comes on here and gives their opinions and that is what this is all about. But come on Bugoff, you're not David Aldridge, you're not Stein, you're not Ford and you're not even Locke. You have access to all of the same information as the rest of us, at least give some sources instead of passing it off like you're reporting. You're feeding a lot of misinformation.

'Kanter can play the 3' - No he can't.

'Kanter shoots the 3 as good as Memo' - I'm not really a Memo fan but no way. I think people used to say that about Kosta Koufos.

'Knight is more like Rose' - Really?

'If you essentially take Jimmer at 3 (or trade the 3 to get him) is he as good as DWill?' - Different drafts, and include Favors & Harris in that comparison.

Sorry to sound so harsh, but it gets overwhelming. I'm guessing i'm not the only one.

• BYU still rules Nephi, UT
    June 15, 2011 8:46 p.m.

2010/2011 assists per game: Brandon Knight 4.2
    Jimmer Fredette 4.3
    Kemba Walker 4.5

• WhatsInItForMe Orem, Utah
    June 15, 2011 7:43 p.m.

Anyone who thinks Jimmer only views himself as a ball-hog scorer hasn't paid close attention to his college career.

If you look at just his highlights, he seems like a ball hog. But, if you look at what he does when his teammates are cooperating, he knows how to run a team and can make great assists.

Even in the Jazz workout, Kemba credited him with great passes.

Jimmer will do just fine running a team like the Jazz where you have multiple scoring options, including pick-and-rolls, passing out to shooters, and handing off to bigs when the layup isn't there. And, Jimmer's strong enough to take bumps and finish.

I never missed a Jimmer game and paid attention to these things. It's too bad his overall teammate situation was so slim in talent. Just ONE other decent producer would've ended up with BYU as NCAA champ. They were that close.

No way Jimmer would've shot as poorly as Kemba did with the weak defense that was being played in that championship game. Even the announcers were aghast most of the game.

• Captain L Provo, UT
    June 15, 2011 7:27 p.m.

Givony has always had Kanter higher than most, the unknown is scaring people. Givony has had Jonas V. at 3 quit a bit of the time.
    If the Jazz take Knight,I hope BB is available at 12.

• Captain L Provo, UT
    June 15, 2011 7:17 p.m.

Jazz Source: Your acting like Jimmer can't be a pass first point guard, Nash came into the league like Jimmer as a shoot first , offensive point guard. Tim Legler thinks Jimmer can be like Nash and says he reminds him of Nash. If Jimmer is asked to pass he will, the fact he can score just makes him a threat and opens things up.
    David Locke had a scout on and he says Jimmer is a much better passer than people think and will make the adjustments he needs to to be effective. He really like Jimmer.

• Kakashi Tokyo, Japan
    June 15, 2011 7:11 p.m.

the draft is getting messed up...Kanter falling to 6 at some mock drafts...Jimmer moving up...guess this is why being a GM is stressful...you dont want to make a bad decision...when everyone is out there to get you if you did...i hope they draft on talent...rather than need this year...and we could draft for need next year...we have at least a top 8 pick with golden state...who knows next year's draft should be loaded and we end up taking Perry Jones @ 8...who ever is best at 3 and at 12 get them....if the brass thinks jimmer would be the future PG of the Jazz...then trade up using the 12...rather than trading down...from the 3...

• Captain L Provo, UT
    June 15, 2011 7:06 p.m.

Bug: Knight is by far more like Harris than Rose, the only thing he has in common with Rose is speed and so does Harris, Harris is actually 10 pounds heavier. The worry is that Knight may not fill out and will end up exactly like Harris. I hope he doesn't but we don't know.
    Jonas V , isn't anything like Tomic, Tomic is soft and like to play like Garnett, at the junction. Jonas like to play pick and roll and plays around the rim. Jonas is a good rebounder and has a 7'6 wingspan. Jonas may take a yr or two to develop but he would be a good pick.
    My preference is still Kanter, but Jonas would be better than Knight IMO.

• MiP Iowa City, IA
    June 15, 2011 7:05 p.m.

@ Larry Curtis.

The video was good. Video of Jimmer v Kemba? That would have been awesome.

I figured that the Jzz would be dumb to not take Jimmer at 12, but worried he might not be there. As these workouts continue, I'm no longer thinking 'worried' but rather I'm confident the boy will be gone by 12.

The Jazz need to figure out a way to get him. I mean, if there was a player made for this franchise, since Stockton, it's Jimmer.

You take Williams at 3, if available.
    If not, I'm starting to believe you gotta take Jimmer. No question I'd take him over Kemba, Knight, and Irving.

• Captain L Provo, UT
    June 15, 2011 6:59 p.m.

MenaceToSociety: Get you facts right before you post, you obviously hate Jimmer, but the facts are he outplayed Walker. Scotty G, said everyone he asked said Jimmer outplayed Walker, some thought he dominated some said, he just clearly outplayed Kemba. What is your problem?
    Scotty G, said he talked to alot of people that watched and had the same response from everyone.

• jazzhater Humble, TX
    June 15, 2011 6:56 p.m.

anyone but the jazz for jimmer

• BluCoug Provo, UT
    June 15, 2011 5:59 p.m.

Jimmer for pick threeeeeeeeeee!

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    June 15, 2011 5:48 p.m.

@Larry Curtis

Yes I watched all 5 and enjoyed them. Kevin O'Connor is never much of an interview because he won't tell you anything. I thought Corbin was a little bit more candid without tipping his hand. I actually really liked the Kemba clip, I was impressed with how he handled the questions posed to him.

In all they added to it nicely. I would enjoy having more of them although I'm sure I would be selective in the ones I take the time to watch. This article was particularly good because the subject is of high interest and made me want to watch all of the video. I doubt I would watch much of ones I'm not interested in.

• 1984 for life Salt Lake City, UT
    June 15, 2011 5:46 p.m.

If you listen to the interviews after the workout, both Kemba and Jimmer were both very gracious and well spoken. The interviewers in the Jimmer interview asked him questions about his performance while the same interviewers in the Kemba piece asked him questions about Jimmer. I wish Jimmer well and I think he will have a nice career in the NBA. However, this Jimmermania nonsense is really making people look bad. Those reporters should be ashamed of themselves. Have enough class to ask Kemba about his performance the same way you asked Jimmer about his. Good thing Jimmer was classy and gave some props to Kemba because the SLC media surely did not. This is what the Jazz brass should be very worried about when deciding whether or not to select Jimmer. Jimmer won't be the one influencing the Jazz not to select him (he's a good enough player), it will be the media and the unrealistic fan expectations.

• weedeater Murray, UT
    June 15, 2011 5:16 p.m.

The extended video coverage was nice. Usually on the news you only get the soundbite but it was nice to get a better feel for the person based on a longer video feed, and this is a perfect venue for that longer video clip. It would have been nice to get an extended video of Ty Corbin (OConner is too poker faced about these things)haha. So yes, do this some more.

• BigRich Orem, UT
    June 15, 2011 5:05 p.m.

The Jazz are nuts if they don't take him. Wherever Jimmer goes, I'm rooting for them including when they play the Jazz. Let's face it, every big man the Jazz draft hasn't worked out in the long term. Either they don't fit, don't play, don't work, don't stay free of injuries, the Jazz just never pick a good big man. So I don't trust them this year either. So choose a guard and choose JIMMER!!!!!!!!!!!!

• bluemoon1977 Provo, Utah
    June 15, 2011 4:52 p.m.

I love Jimmer Fredette, but he is not the #3 pick in this draft. The move I'd like to see is drafting Kanter and then seeing if Washington wants him. If they will trade 6 and 18 for Kanter, the Jazz should jump at it.

Then they can try to draft for multiple needs--small forward with Kawhi Leonard at 6, a point guard at 12 (Jimmer or Kemba), then a shooting guard at 18 (Marshon Brooks from Providence will be available).

All four of the players have great upsides, know how to be team players, and are extraordinarily competitive.

The Jazz would get the two best scorers in the NCAA last year and a monstrous rebounder. The three together will cost you less than six million bucks per year.

• Mildred in Fillmore Salt Lake City, UT
    June 15, 2011 4:51 p.m.

worf | 4:42 p.m. June 15, 2011
    Mcallen, TX

"So what? What's he suppose to say?---I won't fit in and don't like it here?"

Isn't that what Jimmer told the Bucks last week?

• KamUte South Jordan, UT
    June 15, 2011 4:45 p.m.

He's going to be a King in Central Cali.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    June 15, 2011 4:42 p.m.

Ernesto de Bajo | 4:12 p.m. June 15, 2011
    Albuquerque, NM

"After every workout hasn't Jimmer said this? "I'd fit into the system."

So what? What's he suppose to say?---I won't fit in and don't like it here?
    Lighten up Ernesta.

• Jazz Source Alpine, UT
    June 15, 2011 4:38 p.m.

Jimmer is a flat out scorer and dominates the ball, as he should have as the #1 talent at BYU but I ask....does that sound like Jazz offense to you?

Then I think you have your answer.

This guy would be an awesome two guard but unfortunately he is too short to play or guard that position in the NBA.

What did the Jazz do with their last PG that was their leading scorer? Trade.

Who was the last team that won an NBA championship with their PG as their go-to scorer? You will be looking a loooooong ways back.

I'm sure all of these valid questions will be ignored by the Jimmer massess but they need to be answered.

Truthfully I don't believe their is a chance the Jazz will use the #3 pick for Jimmer (if they keep it) and he won't be there at 12 which will absolve the Jazz of getting blamed for not picking him.

Not sure what all they hype is about given the realities of what is likely to happen.

• Kjallbee Orem, UT
    June 15, 2011 4:26 p.m.

O'Conner is quick to state that, while Jimmer may draw crowds in the beginning, if he washes out, those crowds will fade. Let's just say, if O'Conner misses getting Jimmer, the Jazz wash out immediately in the minds of the fans, and the crowds will never be back.

• Mildred in Fillmore Salt Lake City, UT
    June 15, 2011 4:23 p.m.

Thinking back to the year the Jazz took D Will over Chris Paul, they have always had an affection for pass first point guards (Mr. Stockton for example). It may come down to who the Jazz think is a better passer amongst the point guards. Anyone ever see Jimmer make a pass? Please, someone tell me yes.

• Mildred in Fillmore Salt Lake City, UT
    June 15, 2011 4:19 p.m.

Oh, oh. Listening to the Kevin O'Connor interview he had some very nice things to say about Kemba and Knight comes in tomorrow.......

• Larry Curtis
    June 15, 2011 4:12 p.m.

Dear readers, does the video add to this article for you? Did you watch it? Your input is appreciated.

• Ernesto de Bajo Albuquerque, NM
    June 15, 2011 4:12 p.m.

After every workout hasn't Jimmer said this? "I'd fit into the system."

That's a throw-away. If he worked out for 25 teams he would probably say it 25 times.

• Biggard SANDY, UT
    June 15, 2011 4:12 p.m.

Jazz should draft Jimmer at #3 because...
    1. He wont be around at the #12 spot. He is too good to be hanging around at #12. Milwaukee or Sacramento will snag him, maybe even Cleveland.
    2.This is a weak draft year. I realize at the #3 spot you want someone with superstar potential. Jimmer has superstar potential. Besides, no one else has superstar potential written all over them. Why take the gamble on someone else?
    3.I admit Enes Kanter is sweet. If the Jazz pick Kanter at #3 in hopes to get Jimmer at #12, I would not be too disappointed. However, the Jazz need a PG. Between Brandon Night, Kemba Walker, and Jimmer Fredette, Jimmer is the better pick.

• 1984 for life Salt Lake City, UT
    June 15, 2011 4:03 p.m.

Jazz will take Knight at 3 and a defensive forward/center at 12. Good luck to Jimmer.

• Bugoff Houston, TX
    June 15, 2011 3:54 p.m.

I did a study the other day on size. Jimmer and even Kemba are about average among the top 20 or so PGs. They are undersized for SGs (average about 6"5"). They are somewhat undersized for general Gs.

A combination of Jimmer and Brooks could be a good thing for the Jazz. Hayward would move to SF until the Jazz got another one.

Jimmer and Biyombo could also be interesting. I am not a Biyombo fan and the combo is high risk but Biyombo can play D. He would have to be paired with Millsap or someone who could score at will from the PF probably on the 2nd team.

Jimmer and Vesley if he falls could be interesting.

Anyway the Jazz need the best combination of players who will help them the most. If you assume Jimmer is THE ANSWER at PG then you trade the 3 pick down and get him and extra compensation.

He could play SG but will have trouble defending the likes of Kobe or even Mathews.

The Jimmer mania should calm down as this is his last scheduled work out. If CLE schedules him then you can worry.

• WhatsInItForMe Orem, Utah
    June 15, 2011 3:49 p.m.

@ In My Humble Opinion,

Thanks for doing that research! S'what I've been sayin'!

Size isn't that important. Heart is more important. Desire is too. And the ONLY bball guy in probably 50 years with Jimmer's range? How do you defend that when he has such a wicked cross-over?

I'd hate to be the team that DOESN'T draft Jimmer.

• WhatsInItForMe Orem, Utah
    June 15, 2011 3:46 p.m.

@ Bugoff,

You're right. Knight wouldn't fit in the Jazz offense because of his slight build. Kind of like Harris hasn't.

Jimmer's beefiness, however, fits right in!

• Bugoff Houston, TX
    June 15, 2011 3:41 p.m.

It is generally assumed that DET takes a Euro big (probably Biyombo or Vesley). CHA needs an SF/SG more than they need a PG (Augustine). MIL said today they are not taking Jimmer. That leave GS. They might take Jimmer if they move one of thier Gs.

The biggest problem is some non lotto team moving up into the top ten.

All of the players available to the Jazz have some to a lot of risk at 3. Jimmer is not likely to move before 7 so the Jazz should be able to trade down.

However, that means Jimmer is the face of the Jazz. Top 3 picks should be great players like Durant, DWill or at least very good players like Hardin.

That is the dilemna the Jazz face.

Millers could simply call KOC and say get Jimmer. I want him. This decision is on me. I don't think they will do that unless they feel very stongly about it.

As long as Jimmer produces on court he is the perfect face for the Jazz organization.

• Bugoff Houston, TX
    June 15, 2011 3:30 p.m.

Knight is actually more like Rose than Harris. There is enought film on Knight to know he is going to be very good. However, with his slight build (will grow) he may not be the best fit for Utah and its screens.

Kanter is much more athletic than AJ and Kanter can hit the 3 about as well a Memo. The film is old and tells very little. Kanter is high risk mainly because he has no recent game film. He has the tools to play D and tends to bang so it is assumed that he can learn to play D.

Williams is not really an SF. He is good and CLE would trade to get him if the Jazz picked him at 3.

The Raps want a PG (probably Kemba) but Utah could maybe trade Harris for Derozan and a pick for next year while trading down to 5?

The Wiz want Kanter and Utah might be able to trade him for Jimmer and consideration but that is risky.

SAC may or may not want Jimmer worse than anybody else on the board. If they do not take him he probably falls to 12.

• MenaceToSociety Draper, UT
    June 15, 2011 3:30 p.m.

I was a told Walker worked Fredette, and Cougar fans from the media who were there were mad at Walker for it.

With how whack FredetteNation is right now, how insufferable will they be if the Jazz draft Fredette? I can here it now - Fredette is way better than Devon Harris and Gordon Hayward, he needs to start, play 40 minutes, and launch 25 shots per game. I've been a fan since '79, and this situation might make me root for the Nuggets.

Please, Kings - take James Fredette at 7 and save the Jazz from themselves!

• In My Humble Opinion South Jordan, UT
    June 15, 2011 3:25 p.m.

Bugoff | 1:17 p.m. June 15, 2011
    Houston, TX

Jimmer and Kemba ... are undersized.

Compared to whom?

Rajon Rondo, 6'1"
    Derek Fisher, 6'1"
    Steve Nash, 6'3" (I call baloney on that one)
    JJ Barea, 6'0" (ROFL! That there was funny!)
    Jason Kidd, 6'4"
    Derek Rose 6'3"
    Mike Conley, 6'1"
    C3PO, 6'0"
    Tony Parker, 6'2"
    Raymond Felton, 6'1"
    Ty Lawson, 5'11"
    Russell Westbrook, 6'3"
    Andre Miller, 6'2" (tough, rebounder and Jimmer size)
    Chauncey Billups, 6'3"
    Mario Chalmers, Mike Bibby 6'2"
    Jameer Nelson 6'0"
    Devin Harris, 6'3"

If you believe the numbers, then 6 of the 17 PG above are taller than Jimmer. I don't believe the numbers. I'm guessing it is half that.

Only 2 titles owned by the 2 PG on the list taller than Jimmer has a title.

There are 12 titles owned by the PG Jimmer's height or smaller.

The two 6'3" MVPs don't have titles.

According to measurements, Jimmer has "wide shoulders and long arms," and great strength. I think he is plenty big enough. And plenty skilled and competitive enough.

• WhatsInItForMe Orem, Utah
    June 15, 2011 3:19 p.m.

In the "Does anyone know how to score?" NCAA final, where it was NOT great defense that kept players from scoring, Kemba shot 5-19 from 2 and 0-4 from 3. He even got a shot blocked because of his lack of height.

But he did compete, and his team won. I'll give him that. He's a winner.

However, it's not surprising he had a bad shooting day against Jimmer, and that he couldn't stop Jimmer from scoring, as reported in this DNews article.

The gist of this workout from DNews is that Kemba got Jimmered.

Even Coach Corbin was surprised at how much quicker Jimmer was than he expected.

Kemba even gave Jimmer props about being a PG in the NBA, including ability to make great passes. Kemba's a good kid, but he's no Jimmer.

I'll remain on Jimmer's bandwagon, even if the Jazz don't get him. The kid's a stud!

But, I hope the Jazz do get him. They need a scoring PG that can also break down defenses in mulitple ways, which should get him a lot of assists.

I see a future backcourt duo of Jimmer and Hayward as dominating.

• AggieLuva South Jordan, UT
    June 15, 2011 3:18 p.m.

I wasn't sold on Jimmer after the season was over. Now that every work out he has done he has dominated in, I think I am SOLD. I think the Jazz should trade down the 3rd pick a few spots and get him. This draft is weak and if we can get him at 6-7,, let's do it! He will be a huge get for the Jazz. I'm completly sold now. I guess I can say I got Jimmered!

• oh ye confederacy of dunces Flushing, NY
    June 15, 2011 3:16 p.m.

I didn't think it was possible, but the Jazz MIGHT, and that is a big might, take Freddete at # 3. It is looking more and more like he will not be available at 12.
    The thing about Jimmer is that he always rises to the occasion. He always steps up when the pressure is on. His fire is what makes him such a special player.
    Those who have watched him play on a consistent basis pretty much have the same opinion about him--he will be effective at the next level. There is no doubt in my mind--I've seen one too many crossovers, pop and shoots in the blink of an eye, from well beyond the three point line to doubt it. His skill set is so unique, that despite what the prognosticators want to say I am positie that he WILL be successful in the pros. How fast it will happen all depends on which team he is a part of.
    So do the Jazz take Fredette at 3 when they can get him...or do they follow the currents of popular opinion and take some other player that is supposedly more fit for an NBA career?

• Two Cents Springville, Utah
    June 15, 2011 3:02 p.m.

Thank goodness the draft is next week and we only have to endure seven more days of conjecture, guesswork, probability and whatnot.

I will be a Jimmer fan no matter which team chooses him. (As long as it's not the Lakers)

• LAJazzFan Los Angeles, CA
    June 15, 2011 2:30 p.m.

I was warming up to Kanter after viewing his Nike Summit highlights from 2 yrs ago and hearing how athletic he is in workouts and at the combine.

He still might be a good player, but what concerned me is watching the dxexpress breakdown of his HS games (no defense, lack of effort) and watching some old Kosta Kufos videos. Kufos had highlights playing overseas where he was dominating on both ends of the floor, and he had a good year at Ohio St. I can only find offensive highlights of Kanter- concerning. He could be another Al Jefferson who can score, but there is little to no defense, and why would we draft the same type of player for the same position?

Vesely is tall, very active and athletic, but has a horrible shot and can't defend fast wing players or strong forwards- so where does he fit in?

Jonas V. is a 2-4 yr project who has to get bulkier to have an impact in the NBA. He could be a shorter Tomic, who will probably never play for the JAzz.

So, unless Williams or Irving unexpectedly fall, is the #3 pick really worth it?

• LAJazzFan Los Angeles, CA
    June 15, 2011 2:23 p.m.

The more I see and read about Knight, the more I am convinced that his ceiling is- guess who?- Devin Harris. They are almost identical in size (DHarris weighs about 10 lbs more) and neither is a true PG. Instead, they are quick and athletic and mainly played SG/off guard or as a scoring point prior to the NBA. Over and over again I read how Knight is going to have to learn to see the court and become a better passer. Aren't those the traits that you want in a PG? If they are fast, can score and defend those are secondary traits that are nice to have in your PG. Notwithstanding all of the rhetoric, Knight is a bit of a gamble as a PG at #3, and you have to wonder if he will be that much better than Walker or Jimmer, if better at all.

• Go Big Blue!!! Bountiful, UT
    June 15, 2011 2:18 p.m.

Not to Jazz . . . spare us the drama. Politely note Jimmer's abilities and send him on his way.

• 1984 for life Salt Lake City, UT
    June 15, 2011 2:16 p.m.

ute alumni | 1:57 p.m. June 15, 2011
    Tengoku, UT

"david james said that jimmer dominated kemba". But doesn't/hasn't/won't Jimmer dominate everyone?

• Timpman Heber City, UT
    June 15, 2011 2:10 p.m.

Besides his lights-out shooting ability, Jimmer has developed a very unique skill set. With his better than average quickness and what he has done in work-outs, I think he will be off the board by the 12th pick.
    If the Jazz want him, they will have to make a move.

• ute alumni Tengoku, UT
    June 15, 2011 1:57 p.m.

david james said that jimmer dominated kemba

• Bugoff Houston, TX
    June 15, 2011 1:54 p.m.

Rubio has had a change of course today (for the moment) on coming over this year. He is talking to his Spanish team about playing this year in Spain. So MN may be taking Knight at 2. That changes everything.

Williams may be available at 3. But the whole guard scene moves up. With Knight gone at 2 Walker and Jimmer move up the board for teams who want PGs.

This thing is fluid and will get more turbulent. Others beside Jimmer are moving up the board. Klay Thompson, Burks and Singleton are also moving up.

Nobody knows if the Euros are dropping. Vesley could drop to 12.

I doubt if KOC knows who he is going to draft. I also suspect there is not a lot of difference in the ratings of several players.

The Jazz are reported as actively seeking trades down. A combo of Jimmer and Vesley could be interesting.

The big question is why would TOR or SAC trade if they need a PG and Knight goes at 2? Or why would the WIZ trade if they are confident Kanter falls to them at 6?

This draft is a zoo.

• AZJazzFan Gold Canyon, az
    June 15, 2011 1:53 p.m.

Once again, the Jazz need to take him at 3 instead of hoping he is still around at 12. He won't be around at 12. The ones who are against Jimmer don't look at what he can do, and what he does, is better than any other player in the draft, including many in the NBA. The guy can score. He would be a good investment. If the Jazz get a top player we know what usually happens after the initial contract expires, they are gone. As far as how he did at the workout in front of Jazz brass, that doesn't matter. We already know what he can do. He has proved it. The other draftees aren't as proven. The majority just happen to be taller than him. The Jazz will have opportunities to get height, but will not get any more opportunities to get a special player like Jimmer. It is a weak draft as is and Jimmer is the most proven of the group. If the Jazz get him some day he will actually compete to be the most popular Jazz player, competing with Stockton and Malone. Mark my words. Hey Jazz, don't get jimmered!

• rudipen Layton, ut
    June 15, 2011 1:50 p.m.

Haters will always hate. Just kidding, I've always wanted to say that overused phrase even though it does not pertain to this article. Jazz just might pick him at 3. Me thinks all the talk about a BIG MAN is deception, smoke and mirrors, and strategy. Wait, just a sec. I'm on the phone "what's that Greg.......uh huh....I see.....Ty wants him at 3 too" Done deal.

• Striker Omaha, NE
    June 15, 2011 1:35 p.m.

I'm so glad I don't have a job as one of those reporters. How annoying would it be to have to stick a microphone in someone's face all day, while reaching and competing with dozens of others? Do people really like doing that?

Anyway, I'm glad I don't have to sit around and guess where these guys will go. Just sit back and enjoy it people. It will be fun to turn on the TV and watch where he goes. Any team that takes him will be VERY fortunate. Based on how he's doing, he'll probably end up in the top 5.

Proud to be a fan of a team who has a player who was chosen to be the best player in the country!

• Bugoff Houston, TX
    June 15, 2011 1:17 p.m.

Jimmer held his own with Kemba. That does put pressure on the Jazz to trade down if they can get 5, 6, or 7 to cooperate and then use the extra resources to move the 12 pick up.

Taking Kanter @ 3 and using him in a trade is risky. MN might take Kanter if they do not trade, then Williams is available at 3. CLE might pass on Irving and take Williams and the best PG at 4 if they do not trade up.

There is a lot going on.

Jimmer and Kemba are different styles of PG. Teams who liked Kemba are still going to like him but Jimmer may have helped himself with later lotto teams. Both are undersized but both have enough experience an ability to contribute next year (probably not as starters).

Jimmer is better than the doubters claim but he will still take 2 years to develop as a PG AND his ability to run a team better than Harris remains to be seen.

• Madden Herriman, UT
    June 15, 2011 1:16 p.m.

I read a report that said Kemba had an off shooting day, and had trouble keeping Jimmer from scoring. That said, either of these guys at 12 would be a great pickup. I'm not sure I'm sold on Knight at #3, especially if Williams is available (and the Kanter guy = total mytery, which usually does not bode well...you use late picks for those types).

• Jazz-Nation Lehi, UT
    June 15, 2011 1:07 p.m.

We know Jimmer worked out today, that is NOT news. We all want to know how did it go? Did Jimmer dominate? seriously, give us something!

• CaliforniaCougar Lake Elsinore, CA
    June 15, 2011 12:55 p.m.

Note to Jazz ... please select Jimmer.

• bigsoccer Syracuse, UT
    June 15, 2011 12:54 p.m.

Does anyone know how it went?