Sports

Brad Rock: Having to choose the lesser of two evils in the NBA Finals

Comments

• junkgeek Agua Dulce, TX
    June 19, 2011 9:48 p.m.

You're jealous of Mark Cuban, who is everything Greg (?) Miller is and won't ever be. Have fun celebrating that MLS Cup...

• philaD Clifton Heights, PA
    June 15, 2011 4:02 p.m.

Hey Sandra Bullock, I mean Brad. Just kiddin bro.

Spot on. Basically, there are not too many good role models in pro sports. And those that are good role models aren't in the spotlight too much.

I was a Dallas fan for the last couple weeks because they were a "team" and the HEat were made of 2 teams, the big name players and the rest of the guys necessary to have 5 players on the floor. Now I'm back to wondering what the Jazz are going to have to do to get a trophy in SLC.

• bdckpakccd Plano, TX
    June 13, 2011 12:11 p.m.

Just got around to reading this article. I've just been TOOOOO busy watching a first-class team put a first-classing whooping on a bunch of showboats. I'm busy with a lot of sports here in the Dallas area, since we have hosted the Super Bowl, the World Series and the NBA Finals this year. This doesn't even begin to touch how well we do high school football (just ask Bingham about Euless Trinity).

Oh and about calling Texans a bunch of braggers. Son, you need to understand that it isn't bragging if it's true.

• AZJazzFan Gold Canyon, az
    June 12, 2011 10:14 p.m.

Great article. Yes, the Mavs are the lesser of the two evils, though Nowitski and Barrea are likeable. Barrera was clearly a better point guard than Kidd. Cuban does great things for his team, although made one of the lesser intelligent moves in the history of the NBA when he gave up Steve Nash predicting he would be injury prone with the way he plays. Can you imagine Steve Nash on this team for the past x number of years?

• J-TX Allen, TX
    June 12, 2011 8:44 p.m.

@ UtahUte16 | 5:02 p.m. June 12, 2011
    "The only way the Jazz have not been successful is if you consider their lack of a championship. Otherwise, this statement is completely false. The Jazz have been on of the most successful franchises in the NBA."

I will give you that the Jazz have been one of the most successful regular season teams in the NBA, but my point stands. More than half the NBA teams have won an NBA championship. The list below includes the 14 who have not - but 2 of these at least won ABA titles.

Did you miss the part about how I am a Laker fan? 17, baby! But I am still hoping that when I watch today's game on the DVR, the Mavs will have won their first - one more than the Jazz.....

Pathetic loser list:
    Charlotte - Bobcats
    Charlotte/New Orleans - Hornets
    Indiana - Pacers (Won ABA)
    New Jersey - Nets (won ABA as Oakland Oaks)
    New Orleans/Utah - Jazz
    Toronto - Raptors
    Minnesota - Timberwolves
    Cleveland- Cavaliers
    Vancouver/Memphis - Grizzlies
    Dallas - Mavericks
    Denver - Nuggets
    Orlando - Magic
    Phoenix - Suns
    San Diego/Los Angeles - Clippers

• MiP Iowa City, IA
    June 12, 2011 7:08 p.m.

I think Rock has some very valid points.

We get on Wade and LeBron for "celebrating"....

But running down the court, arms extended, ready to take off as a jet? That's OK.

It's true. Cheering for the Mavs is like cheering for the Insurance company.

• Kakashi Tokyo, Japan
    June 12, 2011 6:15 p.m.

Reason to root for dallas?

Two Words...Dirk Nowitzki...

• holt56 Salt Lake City, UT
    June 12, 2011 5:42 p.m.

When I see a former Jazz player with a chance to win a ring, I cheer. I don't look at Stevenson and say, hey, there's that profane statutory rapist that used to play for the Jazz. I don't look at Jason Kidd and say, there's that wife beating divorcee cheater. C'mon, Rock, most of us have forgotten that stuff, why is it important for it to be in the forefront of our minds when watching the finals? I'm not a Dallas fan by any means, but that's who is representing the West, and that's who I want to beat the Heat. Period.

• UtahUte16 Salt Lake City, UT
    June 12, 2011 5:02 p.m.

Not surprised Brad Rock would write an article like this. What's the point of this article? To me it just seems like a bunch of negative bashing. Fits Rock's style perfectly though.

J-TX
    "This is a highly biased, whiney piece by someone who is obviously jealous of anyone more successful than the Jazz (which is just about every team in the NBA, historically)."

Personally, I love Dirk. He has gotten where he is by some talent, but mostly hard work. He deserves every oz of success he's had. I used to be bugged by Dirk, but now I feel his is very humble, hard working, competitive in nature, and as clutch as anyone in history.

• Ryan20 Provo, UT
    June 12, 2011 4:56 p.m.

I love ya Rock, but I think you misfired on this one. The Mavericks, despite their inflated payroll and flamboyant owner, win the right way. They play excellent team defense, move the ball on offense, rebound, and hustle hustle hustle. That's very refreshing in today's NBA where most teams rely on star power and raw athleticism to overpower people. If I cared about player's criminal records or marital infidelities when deciding whom to root for, I wouldn't watch professional sports.

• gizmo33 St. George, Utah
    June 12, 2011 2:12 p.m.

this is funny must of been a slow day at the office all this article did was describe EVERY NBA team. the only differance between any NBA team is the jersey they wear

• zjtech Erda, UTah
    June 12, 2011 11:30 a.m.

What a terrible article!!!

• justcap Provo, UT
    June 12, 2011 10:31 a.m.

I love the Mavs for a variety of reasons (which were all sparked by living in Dallas until I was 13), but the biggest one during the playoffs and Finals is J.J. BAREA. That guy out-hustles everyone on the court and makes things happen for Dallas.

Go Mavs!

• LKA Tremonton, UT
    June 12, 2011 10:25 a.m.

Well Sandra when you only have a choice of two you always go for the less evil. Bron and Wade are nothing more than rich bullies. I hope they go down in flames.. @Red Headed Stranger: I have never been to Texas but had a son serve a mission in East Houston. He said if he was to drive home when he left Texas he would only be half way there. I am old enough to remember when Texas was the largest state in the union before 49 - 50th state came in. All ther states make up a great country and I can find something nice and maybe different in each state. It is a shame we can't see it all. And Sandra you need to be carefull who you pick a fight with. Just be quiet and humble.. IMO

• chubbuckidahocougfan Chubbuck, Idaho
    June 12, 2011 10:09 a.m.

I agree with Red Headed Stranger-I've lived in texas for 3 months one summer during my college days when I sold pest control in Austin, TX. That brisket is very good!!!

• oldcougar Orem, UT
    June 12, 2011 9:59 a.m.

Rock, you should take some time off and recharge. Maybe take a long walk, a nap, enjoy a steaming bowl of chicken soup. I hope you have a fine day today and are able to put "whatever was bothering you yesterday" behind you.

Looking forward to your next.

• Red Headed Stranger Billy Bobs, TX
    June 12, 2011 9:14 a.m.

"And all those men wearing boots with suits"

Seriously? Have you ever actually been to Texas? I've lived here for over half a decade and I've never seen that. You know, that's like when people find out you are from Utah that they ask all those weird questions.

Texans are friendly. I got more grief for being a Mormon the three months I lived in Salt Lake City then I have the entire time I've lived here.

Have you ever wondered why Texans brag about this place? There must be a reason. You can get a good job, buy a reasonable house and eat amazing brisket.

• AZnewser Snowflake, AZ
    June 12, 2011 9:07 a.m.

Reasons to root for the Mavs:

1. The underdog
    2. Dirk has no visible tattoos
    3. Dirk's work ethic
    4. Dirk shuns the spotlight
    5. Their second best player has been out since Christmas
    6. Cuban is a hard working success story, like Larry H. Miller
    7. Starting point guard is 38... That's 70 in basketball years
    8. If I had a billion dollars, I'd try to buy an NBA franchise also
    9. Allas transformed themselves into Dallas
    10. I was at a Mav's game, when a quiet crowd was watching the T-Wolves dismantle their team in the 4th. Mark Cuban stood on the ledge of his luxury suite, and started a cheer that got our section, and then the entire arena in a frenzy. The Mavs came back and won, and he won me over as a Mavs fan, although I was there as a guest of the T-Wolves.

• J-TX Allen, TX
    June 12, 2011 7:03 a.m.

OK, Andy17 just about said it all. This is a highly biased, whiney piece by someone who is obviously jealous of anyone more successful than the Jazz (which is just about every team in the NBA, historically).

Come on! "men wearing boots with suits"? Like there aren't any of those in church in Utah this very day? Face it, you just don't like Texas. And that's just because you don't GET Texas.

The Mavs are a team of guys with good character, including Stevenson of late. They are playing team ball. And they finally have found a way to do that which escaped them for the last 10 years - finishing games in the 4th quarter. I respect them for their great performance this year. And I have been a huge Laker fan since 1971, so it hurts this year to say it, but Go Mavs!!

Get over yourself!

• Andy17 BERKELEY, CA
    June 11, 2011 10:20 p.m.

Its dislike for Lebron James personally after The Decision especially the way in which he played the city of Cleveland into thinking that he was going to resign, only to turn his back and crush their hopes with not a word of condolence. Its their disposition of entitlement, highlighted by the pre-season over-the-top and flamboyant parade before they have proved anything. Its for attempting a coup detat on the NBA with superstars of their magnitude (James and Wade quite possibly number 1 and 2 in the NBA with Bryant aging, Durant and Rose still young, Dirks reputation for playoff failure [until now], and Bosh a top-15 player) having never joined forces before, and having never joined forces before in this way, where, instead of letting owners work out fair trades, decided to take matters into their own hands, leave their franchises guessing until the last moment, and choosing of their own power to play on the same team (something which they had likely planned years before).

So please, sir, do a little research before writing a poor article that misrepresents the issues, misrepresents the controversy, and misrepresents the players.

• Andy17 BERKELEY, CA
    June 11, 2011 10:19 p.m.

And they pay a little more for players than other teams? Two of Dallas most highly paid players arent even contributing to this series (Butler and Haywood), and that fact that you must go into a teams payroll which happens to be a few million dollars higher than other hundred-million-dollar-plus NBA team payrolls is again indicative of your inability to find substantive issues against the Mavericks, against suggest that you have a personal distaste for the Dallas Mavericks, and again (through your inability to come up with better points) answers your question for you.

By the way, you state that people dislike the Heat for buying their way to a championship. I think you need to do some more reading, interviewing, research in general, because the franchises payroll is NOT the issue, by any stretch of the imagination. Its (as I mentioned earlier) the attitude and culture of the team, the childish arrogance the way in which they look down upon others, they way they feed off beating others down but dont come thrive (cold hard stares the norm) when things arent going their way.

• Andy17 BERKELEY, CA
    June 11, 2011 10:18 p.m.

I guess the fact that you fail to mention one basketball-related problem you have with a single Mavericks player and were forced to go into off-court issues except for someone who isnt even playing on the Mavericks answers your question for you.

And to close by having answered every single flawed argument you make, you mention Cubans deep pockets: leather reclinersHD TVs757 jet. This is another are you kidding me moment. Which basketball team, actually, which professional sports team does not have an extreme over-abundance of furnishings and luxurious accessories that pamper overly-paid athletes while the majority of the world can barely get enough food to eat? Does the Miami Heat not have leather couches? Do they lack HD TVs? Are you feeling sorry for Lebron James and his multi-million dollar mansion and coterie of servants because his teams carpets are a year older than Dallass?

• Andy17 BERKELEY, CA
    June 11, 2011 10:18 p.m.

See, no one is hated for relationship issues (unless its something as big as Kobes rape or Tiger Woods 100+ women, and even they were forgiven by many). People are hated for BASKETBALL-ISSUES. And the presumptuous Miami Heat parade, the arrogant and prideful (even disrespectful, with mockery of Dirk was an example) way they carry themselves on court on national TV, the nationally televised Decision (which was about BASKETBALL), etc. define the character of the Miami Heat, James and Wade especially, as something that is not very appealing to most. And others could go on and one in my stead.

The only one who comes close on the Mavericks is Jason Terry, who does a jet motion, which has occurred few and far between (one time) this series (and is merely his 2-second signature-move celebration after a big shot). Its interesting that you note off-court issues but fail to mention on-court issues. Except for non-Maverick-player Mark Cubans annoying first-pumping, which happens to have stopped for this postseason run.

• Andy17 BERKELEY, CA
    June 11, 2011 10:16 p.m.

So why are you saying that Jason Kidd should be disliked for fights with his spouse? Or that Deshawn Stevenson should be disliked for some questionable actions (perhaps the worst coming when he was still college-age (especially since he grew up in a house where his brother tried to kill him when he as 1 year old, and his father murdered his mother when he was 12 years old). And, ARE YOU SERIOUS when you think that Dirk loving and being faithful (to the extent that he was going to tie the knot with her, until his legal advisers made him conduct a background check on her) to a woman who has 15+ aliases, and has a history of playing athletes to get their attention/money, is somehow his fault and hurts his reputation? Are you kidding me?

The point: all your reasons against the players have been relationships issues, so it begs the question: have you never gotten upset at your spouse? Have you never made a mistake in your relationship? Should there be hate for Mavericks players because of relationship issues when no one on the Miami Heat is hated for their relationship issues?

• Andy17 BERKELEY, CA
    June 11, 2011 10:15 p.m.

Ok, so you mentioned a few things to dislike about the Dallas Mavericks. I dont like Mark Cuban either. But arent you being a hypocrite when you do the exact thing you criticize? you accuse those rooting for the Mavericks of being one-sided, but you do the same thing when you overlook the issues of the Heat players.

Nobody dislikes Dwyane Wade for being involved in a nasty divorce and for helping to precipitate that by cheating on his wife and living with a girlfriend before the divorce proceedings. Nobody dislikes Lebron James for refusing to marry his longtime girlfriend and mother of his children (probably because of alimony), even though that would add stability for the kids. (And Im sure there are others that you failed to mention.)

• WhatsInItForMe Orem, Utah
    June 11, 2011 9:10 p.m.

I think the reason many people want Dallas to win it is because no one likes sports to be rigged, and the way the Miami "big 3" got themselves together there smacks of rigging things.

If superstars are allowed to build their own team, then why have other teams?

Personally, I like Wade and Bosh, and used to like James before I realized how subpar he performs relative to the innate talent he has. I hate to see players resting on their laurels get paid millions.

• Joe Moe Logan, UT