'Mormons Rock!' says Newsweek cover story about LDS Church, Mitt Romney

• Vanka Provo, UT
    June 9, 2011 3:31 p.m.

Good suggestion. Don't trust any other source of information except the Church itself.

By the same reasoning, don't listen to anything the LDS say about all other religions (being "all wrong" and "corrupt" - Joseph Smith History). Don't listen to any Mormon tell you about "the Great Apostasy". Don't place any trust in James Talmage's writings, because he cannot possibly inform you about Catholicism, or Protestantism, or any other religion. And don't listen to those BYU and CES professors and teachers as they teach about "World Religions".

Good suggestion.

• friedeggonAZstreets Glendale, AZ
    June 9, 2011 7:34 a.m.

@Sergio-I'm sorry, but there is no such thing as the Mormon Church. I don't know which Christian church you are referring to by stating it keeps changing day to day. I grew up in a religion (that I am grateful to have been in), but depending on who was your pastor it changed just like what you have said. Not sure if you are religious or not, but please before you speak about what you perceive is the truth about The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints I'd do my homework.

The Church of Jesus Christ has many websites you can review to find out more if you are inclined to hear about the church from the church.

June 8, 2011 4:07 p.m.

As a couple of astute commenter's have made mention of, the cover of the magazine is not an attempt to show Mormons in a frivolous way based on reality.

It is an attempt to mock Romney by displaying him in a knock off of the poster to "The Book of Mormon", the hit Broadway Musical up for 14 Tony Awards that paints Mormons as brainwashed clones, closet homosexuals and ignorant liars.

The reason that Romney's face is not simply Photoshopped onto the actual prancing missionary from the poster is because the people at Newsweek are more concerned with copyright infringement of a "successful" Broadway show than mocking a person and, especially, a religion that does not offer a future advertising revenue stream.

There is nothing innocent about the magazine cover.

• I M LDS 2 Provo, UT
    June 8, 2011 8:04 a.m.

I must admit, I have met some dangerous LDS people over the years.

• Dadof5sons Montesano, WA
    June 8, 2011 7:47 a.m.

I read it and it treats the church in a fair light!

• mkSdd3 Ogden, UT
    June 7, 2011 4:00 p.m.

I don't think it was appropriate when the article refered to the church as a sect. The historical usage of the term sect in Christendom has had pejorative connotations, referring to a group or movement with heretical beliefs it also infers that the group broke off from another group. The LDS church was not a reformed church and didn't break away from any other church. Using the term shows a malice towards the LDS church and shows the article as biased.

• Razzle2 Bluffdale, UT
    June 7, 2011 2:37 p.m.

Most Utahns are Mormon but most Mormons are not Utahns. I'm tired of judging all Mormons by Utah's politics and culture. "78% voted for McCain/Palin" What a stupid piece of data.
    Might as well say, "All Mormons are known for their of love of rasberry shakes and trampolines."

• all4one Provo, UT
    June 7, 2011 1:07 p.m.

I find it unfortunate that none of the comments from the professors in this article mentioned Jesus Christ. They mentioned many other things, but Christ and bringing others to Him is the focus of the LDS Church. Also, honesty absolutely needs to be a part of who we are. It's very sad that some of the politicians' spokespeople said they were politicians first and LDS second. Nothing should ever come before God.

• Ross Madison, AL
    June 7, 2011 11:23 a.m.

Ministers fuel the anti-mormon feeling with calumny meant to defame Mormons, Huckabee is good at it, this has been the case since the days of Joseph Smith. I think the real reason might be that these Ministers see the writing on the wall of self-preservation. In Joseph Smith's first vision with the Father and the Son, he was told "I must join none of them, for they were all wrong; and the Personage who addressed me said that all their creeds were an abomination in his sight; that those professors were all corrupt; that: they draw near to me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me, they teach for doctrines the commandments of men, having a form of godliness, but they deny the power thereof.
    In time all will know the truth of this message, but those who want to preserve the apostate Christianity seem to feel justified in using calumny againist all Mormons. In their reluctant ignorance they could find that they have been fighting against the God they say they believe in. To some not violently disagreeing with Moronism is the only way to preserve their traditions. Mormons should be wonderful people.

• Walt Nicholes Orem, UT
    June 7, 2011 10:52 a.m.

It would be the same kerfluffle if we were thinking of running a Moslem for president. Oh, wait......

• gizmo33 St. George, Utah
    June 7, 2011 10:44 a.m.

religion is something I have no use for. ( to each their own ) if someone wants to be a member of the LDS or Baptist or Lutheran religion then enjoy it. but I do have a question what is a Mormon church ? I've never seen one. but there is the church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints which alot of friends belong to and I drove around all day looking for a building titled the Mormon church and there isnt one to be found.. just a personal comment. oh and someone making a comment that they wont vote for somneone because that person is a Mormon. my comment to that is maybe you shouldnt be voting at all because you fail to see the true purpose of an election. Im not voting for Romney or Huntsman because I do not agree with their politics I dont care what religion they practice thats none of my concern and I dont care what religion Obama practices either

• The Caravan Moves On Enid, OK
    June 7, 2011 10:20 a.m.

Read the article yesterday. Fairly accurate. Nice to see they weren't out to destroy us. I do wonder if that Andrew Romano guy (article co-author) was biting his tounge not to be sarcastic. In the past he's been extremely rude towards the LDS church.

• Aggielove Junction city, Oregon
    June 7, 2011 9:35 a.m.

I love the white socks.
    Makes me a stronger member when i see these things. I love the attention. Keep it coming.

• sergio Phoenix, AZ
    June 7, 2011 9:27 a.m.

@ J-TX

It would be difficult to write a current balanced article on the Mormon church of today. It changes from day to day: from everything from its revised history, scripture, politics, profile, mission, etc. It is almost as difficult as nailing jello on the wall. Who are the Mormons; who knows, it all depends on the point of view.

• huggyface Murray, UT
    June 7, 2011 9:23 a.m.

Overall, the article was positive and one main theme was the LDS church has a formla for success. It's true.

Don't be too hard on Mr. Coppins and his role in the article and cover photo. It's one of the most accurate articles I've read.

Remember, they are in the magazine selling business and that cover would sell more than everyone dressed up in a suit and tie saying "cheese."

• 1Infidel APO, AE
    June 7, 2011 9:17 a.m.

@LDS Liberal,

You have missed the point. Mr. Romney did not pose for, nor likely was his approval sought, in the silly cover Newsweek put together.

@Ute21 - you are wasting your posts with Mr. Johnson. He is not apparently catching your jab. He probably has a hard time finding his regular seat at Rice-Eccles as well? LOL.

I have not yet read the article (is Newsweek even turning a profit these days? Talk about relevance...) but would assume that the point of even mentioning the tawdry, disrespectful and probably slanderous Broadway production by the creators of 'South Park' was to show that Mormon culture is mainstream enough now to be the subject of an unfortunately popular and certainly irreverent fun-fest for the dupes and ignorant with money and an evening to waste.

I guess Rep. Weiner is a member of the House of Representatives, sparing Lightspeed Harry any reason to have to answer questions about his behavior and what minimum standards are to the Demo. leadership these days for re-election funding... Certainly unlikely Sen Reid spoke up to Newsweek about any voting patterns that might be his and any influenced or affected by his religious background.

• cindyacre Shelley, ID
    June 7, 2011 9:10 a.m.

I think that the "general reluctance of political candidates to discuss their faith" means that they don't want to push their faith on others. Their reasons for running are really multi-faceted. They want to serve their constituents and their country, are willing to be active in the republic-democracy process, and they hopefully believe in the goodness of people and in equality of individuals and in their rights and responsibilities in this country.

• J-TX Allen, TX
    June 7, 2011 9:04 a.m.

@ morpunkt | 8:47 p.m. June 6, 2011

Did you read the Newsweek article? Hardly "favorable publicity". I think it was a thinly veiled attack piece, like so many others. Had the potential to be good journalism, but it would have had to have had a more diligent author doing more diligent research, and writing for a magazine that wasn't in such dire straights that it needs to pursue sensationalism over journalism. Sad.

• greenman108 Petaluma, CA
    June 7, 2011 8:06 a.m.

its a two-edged sword, to be singled out for your "interesting" religion, in the midst of a political campaign.
    For the religion desiring publicity and the opportunity to convert others to its point of view, and to minimize reactivity among the general population, to its point of view, such an article could be a plus in the short term.
    However, in my opinion, it would be ideal if political leaders would do as Obama has done, and call us all to transcend our racial, ethnic, religious and tribal differences and work together for our common good. However, due to the focus of the fundamentalists in the Christian and Jewish faiths in American upon our differences, difference can and has been used as a wedge issue, that is, a way for votes to be gathered to a particular candidate or party.
    We have only to look at Rick Santorum's opening remarks in his bid for the nomination. His expressed points of view amount to making much of differences, and making targets of those his brand of reality considers "outside the norm".

• RanchHand Huntsville, UT
    June 7, 2011 6:32 a.m.

If Mormons would treat others fairly, it would go a long way towards having other treat them fairly. (The golden rule, Karma, what goes around comes around,...)

• Sacramento Native FAIR OAKS, CA
    June 6, 2011 10:03 p.m.

RE: counter intelligence

we could use your clear thinking in the Golden State.

• christoph Brigham City, UT
    June 6, 2011 9:30 p.m.

Newsweek is dying-------has had low sales for a decade now. Come to think of it, Hollywood is dying too------all those old institutions that thought they had all the answers will soon be buried 6 feet under.

• morpunkt Glendora, CA
    June 6, 2011 8:47 p.m.

In spite of all this favorable publicity, (of which I am grateful), it's still the individual LDS who makes a more profound difference in people's lives, with personal face time.
    I was initially interested in investigating the church, from the great individuals who I personally knew, thereby leading to my eventual conversion from Protestantism, back in 1975.
    One-to-one contact with good examples spoke volumes more to me than one famous individual, with whom I would never get to meet.

• Independent Woman West Jordan, UT
    June 6, 2011 8:46 p.m.

I tried to see if anyone had made a comment on working class's comment, but no one has, so I must add my 2 cents worth. The idea that Mormon's have to agree on every issue is absolutely ridiculous. If it were true all Mormons would belong to the same political party which certainly isn't how it is. Were you trying to be funny, or do you really believe what you said?

• Still Blue after all these years Kaysville, UT
    June 6, 2011 7:42 p.m.

Like most politicians, those 11 that said they were politicians first and Mormons second, lack any courage of their conviction. Their fear of man (voters) apparently overpowers their fear of and love for God.

• Wastintime Los Angeles, CA
    June 6, 2011 7:29 p.m.

@So. Cal Reader -
    Before we get too carried away about the humanitarian aid contributions made by the Church, let's put it in perspective. The $1.3 billion total aid donated over 26 years (according to the latest numbers published by the Church) is about 1/25th the amount one individual, Bill Gates, has given away so far in his life, and is dwarfed by many others' contributions as well. It sounds like a big deal, but if you consider the number of members, the net worth of the Church, and the annual income earned by Church-owned businesses, it is not.

• Brahmabull sandy, ut
    June 6, 2011 6:22 p.m.

Thriller - no, LDS teachings are far from perfect. What teachings do you think are perfect? If they were perfect there would be no need for a current prophet and apostles. There would be no change in doctrine as there has been from the organization of the church. So let's not be shallow and say that our teachings are perfect.

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    June 6, 2011 5:11 p.m.

The photo looks a little like the photo on the 'book of mormon' broadway musical promotional material.

• greenman108 Petaluma, CA
    June 6, 2011 4:31 p.m.

AZrods sez: your criticism of Mitt perfectly describes every politician in America...

not really. predator capitalist is reserved for the few who are or were corporate raiders, who made their mark firing Americans, and shipping their work to China and then selling off the pieces. While many capitalists do indeed share the Romney experience of firing Americans and shipping their work to China, the corporate-raider-as-politician-package is more rare.
    Feel free to give examples among the Democratic candidate for Congress. If you can.
    Megan, the GOP candidate for Gov of Ca was such a one. See what you can share with us. no generalizations.
    no, vague statements that "they are all the same". no. they are not.

• FDRfan Sugar City, ID
    June 6, 2011 4:13 p.m.

What we need is inspired leadership. What we want or get is another matter.

• Independent Henderson, NV
    June 6, 2011 3:01 p.m.

Oh my gosh! Glenn Beck stuck his tongue out! Oh the humanity!

• Independent Henderson, NV
    June 6, 2011 3:00 p.m.

It really doesn't bother me if Newsweek or even most Americans think I'm weird for believing what I believe. I feel the same way about a lot of things that they believe. Stealing a line from Dave Ramsey, I want to live like no one else now, so that I can live like no one else later. Let them go ahead and laugh all they want.

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    June 6, 2011 2:28 p.m.

Mitt Romney as a Missionary?
    Glenn Beck sticking out his tongue?!

What a sell out.
    Anything for a buck, or a vote.

They don't represent me, or my religion.

Whatever happened to the dignified poses of LDS Prophets & Apostles - the "real" representatives of the LDS - gracing the cover of Time Magazine?

• Spitvalve Denton, TX
    June 6, 2011 2:10 p.m.

I've never seen a missionary wearing white socks.

• southmtnman Provo, UT
    June 6, 2011 1:30 p.m.

Some dude on that Newsweek article is really letting the Church have it in the comments.

• #1 Champ Salt Lake City, UT
    June 6, 2011 1:29 p.m.

Mormons have the formula for success, and a formula for weirdness. But I'm still voting for genius Mitt

• AZRods Maricopa, AZ
    June 6, 2011 1:18 p.m.

@counter intelligence, as always, I appreciate your clear and unbiased thinking.

I'd vote for you if you were in politics.

Good to hear from you again buddy!

• Eddie Syracuse, UT
    June 6, 2011 12:48 p.m.

Maybe those who are Mormon that didn't want to discuss their religion did not want to mix church and state! It is one of those things that you are darned if you do and darned if you don't.

No matter what, people are going to find fault with you on things. It is just like where I work. If I disagree with policy's of Obama, I am a racist. But people in the office can blast Mormons all they want and it is somehow okay.

• goatesnotes Kamas, UT
    June 6, 2011 12:34 p.m.

The line between satire and bigotry often depends upon whether there's a smile on your face when you read, hear and observe.

• Utes21 Salt Lake City, ut
    June 6, 2011 12:32 p.m.

@ Johnson72
    How are you getting religion of romney and making morman out of it? I am just curious?

• Weber State Graduate Clearfield, UT
    June 6, 2011 12:30 p.m.

As the Irish poet Brendan Behan once said, "There is no such thing as bad publicity, except your own obituary."

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    June 6, 2011 12:29 p.m.

"What exactly is a morman? Is that kind of like a merman? "

Yes, I believe they're most frequently spotted waving at high school buses passing by in the morning.

• junkgeek Agua Dulce, TX
    June 6, 2011 12:21 p.m.

Maybe the 11 elected representatives who were contacted think that discussing their personal religion for a public magazine is inappropriate given their job ... like it would be for most members of the Church...

• New Mexico Albuquerque, NM
    June 6, 2011 12:15 p.m.

Didn't know Romney had his own religion.....

• Johnson72 Salt Lake City, UT
    June 6, 2011 12:08 p.m.

@Utes21.... the religion of romney.

• Utes21 Salt Lake City, ut
    June 6, 2011 11:56 a.m.

I dont think anyone will be voting for morman? What exactly is a morman? Is that kind of like a merman?

• So. Cal Reader Escondido, CA
    June 6, 2011 11:54 a.m.

McKay Coppins, don't be so proud of your work in this article. I would have expected a lot more. I don't think you did the church many favors with whatever your "contribution" was. "Mormons always hear about the Church coming out of obscurity," Coppins said. "I think it's safe to say that the LDS church might not have that problem anymore." Huh? You really feel this article did that? Why link a rediculous Broadway play (that will never get .1 of my money) by self-proclaimed antagonists that has NOTHING positive to point toward the church? "Those inclined to think of Mormons as a band of sealots bent on amending the Constitution to outlaw cappuccino may never be convinced." Wow. That's funny. "Mormons .. perform spiritual & economic outreach to members of the Mormon community." Huh? Nothing said about MULTI-MILLIONS of dollars in humanitarian help/assistance to ALL PEOPLE throughout the World. Disappointed, Coppins.

• Thriller Saint George, UT
    June 6, 2011 11:45 a.m.

TJ, if I remember right, we often disagree when it comes to sports but you are right on with your comment today.

People struggle to realize that the way some Mormons act is not a representation of what the Church teaches.

I have a gay friend who was complaining to me the other day about the LDS Church because of a conversation he had with a member who had harshly condemned him for being gay. Because of the actions of this person, my friend had turned against the Church as a whole. I told him that the Church doesn't teach hatred toward anyone and I related to him an incident that happened to another friend of mine who was sexually abused by a gay man. Did the actions of that gay man mean that all gay men, including my friend, were sexual predators? Hardly. Likewise, the actions of one member of the Church are not an indication of the Church in general.

The teachings of the LDS Church are, I believe, perfect; not a single member is.

• Kateybug Riverton, UT
    June 6, 2011 11:30 a.m.

Hi bgl--I've been a Mormon my entire life and I've never considered it to be a controlling, shallow, power-hungry, paternalistic religion ever. There ARE INDIVIDUALS in the Mormon church who sinfully act that way, but you will find those kinds of people in EVERY religion. It's been my experience that if you are shallow and/or power-hungry--Mormonism is not for you because it takes a very deep and child-like humble commitment to live all the tenets of our faith. If you believe in the Bible where prophets saw God, had visions, interpreted tongues, wrote scripture, preached, had plural wives (practiced polygamy), were involved politically, etc. then I don't see how you can have a problem with Mormonism and its roots. It's all the same stuff, it just happened in modern-day times. Nowhere in the Bible does it say it would never happen again. Thanks for being willing to vote for a Mormon over someone else--not too many of you out there! :)

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    June 6, 2011 11:22 a.m.

A scientist; Sounds like your only one "M" away from being a Mormon yourself.

bgl; Shallow and power hungry are two things the LDS church teaches it's members not to be. Look up "The Articles of Faith". They give a pretty good understanding of what the LDS faith is taught. Perhaps you have different values than what the LDS church teaches or you disagree with an agenda they support such as gay marriage or abortion and that affects you view of their beliefs. Everyone has their opinion and the right to fight for their causes or beliefs. That includes the LDS church and yourself. Not everyone of the LDS faith have the same attitudes or opinions.

The LDS church teaches love and kindness towards all people. They also teach their members to take a stand against evil of all kind which to them includes issues such as abortion and perversion of any kind.
    Not to persecute people for their behavior but to help them understand it violates God's laws.
    Love the sinner but hate the sin.

• Johnson72 Salt Lake City, UT
    June 6, 2011 11:22 a.m.

I'm just glad I won't vote for a morman.

• working class Salt Lake City, UT
    June 6, 2011 11:14 a.m.

Regarding the relatively small percentage of LDS in congress who were willing to discuss their faith in detail, appreciate that the matter of Church unity can put some politicians in a tough spot. Mormon unity means being in agreement on EVERY major issue, how can LDS in non-Mormon majority districts finesse this?

• Yorkshire City, Ut
    June 6, 2011 10:46 a.m.

I am disappointed in McKay Coppins agreeing to and/or promoting this cover.

I was a fan of his when he was back writing at the des News, and for some of his early work at Newsweek.

This cover is intended to provoke, and to sell magazines, not to convey positive things about the LDS Church, as he suggests.

If Newsweek was looking to be fair, there would have been a great cover, not one that conveys a stupid, lets make fun, caricature like it does.

• bgl Santa Monica, CA
    June 6, 2011 10:45 a.m.

I've never thought of Mormon people as "weird." I've always thought of them as good people on the whole. A bit superior sometimes, but other groups are much worse in that regard. Often the first to jump in and help in a pretty altruistic fashion.
    The religion itself and it's roots and present day mingling in politics are what I can't handle. While I find other beliefs just as strange and difficult to understand, I can't take the controlling nature of Mormonism and the paternalistic stances taken by the leadership. These stances hurt many and empower the power hungry. I've met many a good Mormon who has the ability to live and let live and still keep the commandments of their church, but Mormonism is not a religion for the shallow or the power hungry. By which I mean to say, if you are shallow and power hungry--it might be just the religion for you.
    Still in all, being a Christian myself--I'll take my chances with a Mormon over a Born Again Evangelical any day of the week.

• AZRods Maricopa, AZ
    June 6, 2011 10:45 a.m.

ironyguy, your criticism of Mitt perfectly describes every politician in America, so perhaps a different comparision would mean something.

Also, I can think of much worse representing the LDS church.

I would say that if President Obama represents the "Christians" of America,
    then they use a poor system to measure true Christian values.

Regardless, if a national publication includes a few positive remarks about the LDS church, then maybe it will clear the air and open a few minds.
    If not, the church will move forward regardless.

We just need to make sure that we as LDS members are being the example of what we believe.

• Brad James Manti, UT
    June 6, 2011 10:36 a.m.

As an LDS journalist/broadcaster, it's frustrating that journalists don't have to do homework when it comes to Mormons. When I write any articles on religious organizations, I bend over backwards to ensure they are painted in a fair light. If a public official says anything that mocks gays or racial group, they are reprimanded swiftly, but if Mormons are lampooned, it's OK. No, don't give me the rhetoric that it's because the Church is true and that's part of the price to pay. True journalists need to do their due diligence on every topic, regardless of what it is, even if it means treating Mormons like everyone else.

• Lehicoug Lehi, UT
    June 6, 2011 10:29 a.m.

I just read the article. Somewhere I've seen this before; nothing new, same template. Good people, weird religion. Being LDS I have given up on any news publication or program getting it right. And I don't care anymore. I'm happy I'm weird with all the rest of us.

• A Scientist Provo, UT
    June 6, 2011 10:25 a.m.

"...of the 15 Mormons currently serving in the U.S. Congress ... only the four who represent districts with substantial Mormon populations... {were willing to speak 'on the record' about their faith".

As "representatives" of their faith, that means only about 27% of Mormons are not ashamed.

That's about right.

• FDRfan Sugar City, ID
    June 6, 2011 10:19 a.m.

I hope Mitt Romney will remember the type of neighborhoods where Mormon missionaries are accepted and act accordingly.

• Quayle Dallas, TX
    June 6, 2011 10:08 a.m.

Fellow Mormons, we still have a fairly long way to go, so we better develop very thick skin and let these things roll right off.

We know what we are about, and it isn't popularity. Besides, what can they possibly say that hasn't already been said.

Let's ignore all this stuff and keep moving.

• Mayfair City, Ut
    June 6, 2011 9:54 a.m.

article: "...go on to argue that this hesitancy is unwarranted."

Maybe this hesitancy on the part of Mormons to have anything to do with the media is they don't want to be a party to the ridiculousness that passes as "journalism at its finest" ---like the Front Line/American Experience totally embarrassing debacle: The Mormons.

We have many friends in the Bible Belt who think we as LDS are WAY weirder after seeing that, than they ever did before, when it was just their Evangelical leaders fueling the anti-Mormon, "look how odd Mormons are" fire.

• Irony Guy Bountiful, Utah
    June 6, 2011 9:38 a.m.

Too bad Mitt is the "representative" Mormon. Born surrounded with silver spoons? Predator capitalist? Says whatever he thinks will get him votes?