Utah

Author: LDS is 'dangerous religion'

Comments

• dryforkcreek Vernal, UT
    Aug. 10, 2011 4:34 p.m.

I am a "Smith".
    Warren smith is warped in his definition of anything regarding the Mormons.

• Scott Bradley Rigby, ID
    June 13, 2011 1:52 p.m.

I apologize but must say it was exactly the "prophet"'s teachings that led me in the wrong direction. I know this might sound unfathomable to current believers, but indeed, it was most certainly the case.

• Silly Rabbit Magna, UT
    June 3, 2011 5:10 p.m.

Cont-

I have never been asked from anyone in my faith to go to another religion and yell stuff at them as they walk into their house of worship, so I guess I need to grow up.

So when there is a natural disaster and the LDS church sends tons of food and other goods around the world to people that are not part of the faith, its not the grown up thing to do I guess.

Long ago when I lived in another place that didnt understand my faith and people threatened me with bodily harm when I did nothing to them so I really had to take a closer look at myself and wonder if it was all worth it.

Sorry for the long rant Sergio, just to let you know I understand how you feel. I too really dont understand a group of people out there and I think they should grow up and take a good look at themselves, but this isnt about Laker Fans (Smiley face)

• Silly Rabbit Magna, UT
    June 3, 2011 4:59 p.m.

Cont-

for me to take a look at myself and thank the lord that I am not like those people that picket and protest the church I am a part of. Then I look at these youth Im with and have to teach them that it doesnt matter what these people are saying and yelling at us, we just need to let it go and take the higher path.

Sergio when you say we need to take a good look at ourselves and its time to grow up, well to be truthful I believe that most of us cave dwelling backward LDS people are grown up and have taken a good look at ourselves whenever we go to temple square for not confronting those people that tell us we are vile and evil people. I think it would just be easier to punch someone in the face then turn the other cheek and yet 99% of us just walk by. Those are good odds.

Cont-

• Phargo Rexburg, ID
    June 3, 2011 1:52 p.m.

Is this not a good example of why members of the LDS Church should not just have faith in their religion, but seek to understand and explain it intelligently and articulately? Upon reading Smith's article, it is clear that he takes emotionally charged tidbits of truth and stirs them into an incomplete stew of controversy. The difference between human and chimpanzee is less than 5% and no one would rationally conclude we are the same. Smith's profile of LDS teachings are at least 5% incomplete. It would be safer calling a chimpanzee a human than to accept Smith's argument based on the variables used for his hypothesis. The antidote for rhetoric like Smith's is for LDS members to contribute intelligently to the dialogue. Maybe Smith does not want to know or accept the truth about the LDS Church, maybe he does. However, I would guess there is at least one person reading his opinion that would actually care about understanding what the LDS Church really does teach, regardless of what they do once they know. Members of the LDS Church should thank people like Smith for continuing the conversation.

• Boilerup SOUTHAVEN, MS
    June 3, 2011 1:24 p.m.

To websrfn,
    If one becomes what one thinks (or believes), what does one become if one thinks (or believes) nothing? Hmm, more proof positive of a mind's fragility?

• christoph Brigham City, UT
    June 3, 2011 8:21 a.m.

We are dangerous in some ways---if we get the whole world to stop smoking, we put that industry out of business, if we get people to not drink, we put that industry out of business, if we get people not to support Hollywood, we put that industry out of business-------prophets were put to death in the Bible because their words put some industries out of business. The Lord was put to death over, in my opinion, money----his gospel puts some people out of business and power. The good news is, of course, simply, the only industries we truly need are food and clothing (1 timothy 6:8) We don't need houses, we can live in tents, we don't need the latest gadgets----- food and clothing is all we need, everything else can go out of business.

• ScottP Evanston, WY
    June 2, 2011 8:53 p.m.

Lake Effect | 8:41 a.m. June 2, 2011
    Springville, UT In 2000 years, things have not changed. Men still can't recognize the light that shines in darkness

• Albert Saint George, UT
    June 2, 2011 3:40 p.m.

"Dangerous Religion" Really??? Have there been any incidents where a radical LDS youth strapped a device to his body and detonated it in a crowded area spraying everybody with green jello? Well, has there?? No I didn't think so. So just how dangerous does this guy think LDS folks are?

• I M LDS 2 Provo, UT
    June 2, 2011 12:52 p.m.

Old Jake,

Yeah, Mr. Smith is nobody...except that he is the co-producer of WORLD Magazine, the nations largest Christian news magazine, and was the publisher and editor of the Evangelical Press News Service, a wire service for approximately 100 Christian newspapers with a combined print-run of more than 1-million each month. His essays, reviews, interviews, and articles have also been included in various books, including Public Relations, one of the most widely used college journalism textbooks in the world.

Warren has been an active supporter of the Boy Scouts for more than 30 years. He is an Eagle Scout, and he served for seven years on the staff at Philmont Scout Ranch. He served two terms as president of the Philmont Staff Association, and he has contributed to or edited four books about Philmont.

But other than that, nobody listens to him the way they listen to Old Jake!

• Munk Cottonwood Heights, UT
    June 2, 2011 10:46 a.m.

What next? Mormonism is linked to the Illuminati? Frankly, and honestly I don't see Mormons burning someone at the stake for being Catholic, Jewish, Pagan, etc. I can not say the same about a lot of evangelicals that I have met or known.

I also find the vitriolic negative ranting from some evangelicals to be extremely non christian.

• sergio Phoenix, AZ
    June 2, 2011 9:44 a.m.

It seems that the Mormons are too smug in their self rightous ways so as not to see that they are in total denial of the problems that others are trying to help them see. If you think you are right and the rest of the world is wrong, then it is time to take a closer look at yourself. The world is changing and people are better informed. The Mormons are no longer a mysterious peculiar people hidden back in the foot hills of the Rockies. It is time to grow up.

• WestWyo Orem, UT
    June 2, 2011 9:34 a.m.

Next thing you know Mr. Smith will be predicting the end of the earth! Anyone want to cash out their savings and donate?

• grip Meridian, ID
    June 2, 2011 9:24 a.m.

Perhaps Smith is a "false" Christian. People tend to be down on what they are not up on. Bigotry keeps people down on many things because they do not open their minds past their own prejudices.

• Old Jake Salt Lake City, UT
    June 2, 2011 8:47 a.m.

Warren Cole Smith doesn't even rank on the Peer index. He doesn't have any influence. Let his mouth move all it wants because no one is listening.

• Lake Effect Springville, UT
    June 2, 2011 8:41 a.m.

"...the time cometh, that whosoever killeth you will think that he doeth God service." (Jesus, John 16:2)

In 2000 years, things have not changed. Men still can't recognize the light that shines in darkness.

• DR Hall Clearfield, UT
    June 2, 2011 1:58 a.m.

I would like to see a good person that holds high standards of conduct get into being the President of the US. I would like him or her to strongly hold to those standards and try hard to do what is right for America. Whether they be christian, Muslim, Atheist, Judiac, or what ever, but not a Communist or the like. We need freedom and true justice and fairness. We have very few of those left any more. Our elected officials for some reason have allowed them selves to slide so far to the far ends of decency and fairness that they care not for the needs of the country but for only the things that can be gotten by the practice of greed. It seems though that Rossevelt and Truman were trying to be good men, Americans and good Presidents. I also think that Jimmy Carter is up there with those leaders. I think that a active gospel living LDS person would make a good president if he or she held to the gospel standards and went by the true needs of the people and not sell out to unions or big business.

• DianeM44 SAN ANTONIO, TX
    June 1, 2011 8:44 p.m.

Yep, I'm not surprised this is going on. There were people from the 1960s who did the exact same thing with JFK because he was Catholic. It's a shame that people still don't learn from history. They must enjoy repeating it over and over again every generation or two.

• O'really Idaho Falls, ID
    June 1, 2011 6:27 p.m.

I actually appreciate a flip-flopper (AKA someone with an open mind) who can see the error of their thoughts and ways and is humble enough to change. I bet there is not one single president of the USA who hasn't changed their mind on something, even if the general public never knew about it.

So to accuse Mitt Romney or any other candidate of being a flip flopper is really a compliment in my mind. One thing Romney has never flip flopped on(and this is a good thing) are his religious convictions. You have to feel secure as opposed to the insecurity of having a "dangerous" president that he would hold fast to the things that really matter. Huntsman? ...eh, not so much. You've got to wonder about someone who can't really identify their faith.

• gratefulmouse san angelo, tx
    June 1, 2011 6:11 p.m.

ok..so a smith thinks mormons are dangerous..wow..is he related by any chance to the joseph smith people..or left over after emma smith broke away from the church. on meridian there was an article of a great great granddaughter of Joseph smith who was taught to hate mormons from utah..actually the brigham youngites. got to wonder why there is so much hate or disdain..where there is smoke there is fire. I dont worry over mitt being mormon..a president as we have seen doesnt promote his religion..he is there to govern. yep there is something down deep and he needs to come out with it. you dont hate something unless it has affected you in the past or present..yep..

• Amazed at your logic Lehi, UT
    June 1, 2011 5:14 p.m.

I am confused, I posted a question regguarding a Book, that has good and bad information about the Church. My thinking is that this Author has taken someof the information and included it in his reasoning. The post was denied. Why?
    I have been taught we have an agency to make out own decisions on what we read and study. Hmm am I wrong?

• Clinker Murray, UT
    June 1, 2011 5:09 p.m.

"Can't we all just get along?"

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    June 1, 2011 12:53 p.m.

the only thing dangerous about Mormonism is church basketball !

• Kami Bountiful, Utah
    June 1, 2011 12:31 p.m.

The LDS church doesn't flip flop; Romney does. Personally, I don't like his name associated with the LDS church (in political circles) for that reason.

• In Arizona Mesa, AZ
    June 1, 2011 12:26 p.m.

To the comment made by jdaliix: Who could possibly care what a fanatical Christian has to say on the subject ...?

Well, there are 7 pages of us who appear to care because we, including you, have written a response!

• itsajelly Walla Walla, WA
    June 1, 2011 12:03 p.m.

Dangerous to Warren's income? Was that mentioned.

• jdaliix Bountiful, UT
    June 1, 2011 11:39 a.m.

Who could possibly care what a fanatical Christian has to say on the subject, including the Mormon flock? He's just as much a blind sheep as everyone else.

• ballantyne Draper, UT
    June 1, 2011 11:00 a.m.

He's trying to sell books. Ignore him.

• Ross Madison, AL
    June 1, 2011 10:36 a.m.

Acts Chapter 5

34 Then stood there up one in the council, a Pharisee, named Gamaliel, a doctor of the law, had in reputation among all the people, and commanded to put the apostles forth a little space;

35 And said unto them, Ye men of Israel, take heed to yourselves what ye intend to do as touching these men.

36 For before these days rose up Theudas, boasting himself to be somebody; to whom a number of men, about four hundred, joined themselves: who was slain; and all, as many as aobeyed him, were scattered, and brought to nought.

37 After this man rose up Judas of Galilee in the days of the taxing, and drew away much people after him: he also perished; and all, even as many as obeyed him, were dispersed.

38 And now I say unto you, Refrain from these men, and let them alone: for if this counsel or this work be of men, it will come to nought:

39 But if it be of God, ye cannot overthrow it; alest haply ye be found even to bfight against God.

He will judge whose right it is to judge, in the end.

• Idaho Coug Meridian, Idaho
    June 1, 2011 9:56 a.m.

This highlights one of the problems with religion - the insistence that only one religion or belief system is true or the only way to God.

Imagine if we could reframe this to the idea that - there is one religion or belief system that makes the most sense for an individual's spiritual progress given their unique personality and life situation?

Whether or not you give credence to near death experiences, they almost universally DO NOT speak of one true church or belief system. Their language may reflect their spiritual upbringing but their core message seems to be the importance of learning to love while on this earth rather than attendance at or belief in a particular church.

In addition, it is fascinating to me just how broad and diverse the spiritual experiences are for humans. Individuals of all belief systems experience very profound spiritual experiences confirming beliefs that vastly contradict one another. As LDS, we don't even come close to having the market on powerful spiritual confirmations.

I greatly respect that certain belief systems resonate better with certain individuals. But the general insistence that only one is true just seems to conflict with reality.

• libertarian Cedar City, UT
    June 1, 2011 9:46 a.m.

One thing I've noticed about many "religious" people --

"My religion is the only true one and all the rest are false"

When you point an accusing finger, there are three pointing back at yourself.

• Truthseeker SLO, CA
    June 1, 2011 9:43 a.m.

Certainly some believed the Mormon church was dangerous in the early history of the Church. When Mormons gathered en masse in an area they upset the local political climate. More recently the LDS church has demonstrated it's ability to launch an effective campaign for political purposes, namely Prop 8. LDS Church members contributed a significant portion of the funds raised as well as the ground work. LDS members and church-owned facilities were involved in the commercials and developing the campaign. So, " dangerous" can depend on one's political leanings.

• Hank Pym SLC, UT
    June 1, 2011 9:41 a.m.

re: Mr.Glass | 9:27 a.m. June 1, 2011

"I'm talking about abandoning belief in resurrection, miracles etc Think of how many religious leaders create conflict based on differences based on religious beliefs."

Jefferson Bible anyone?

• Mr.Glass Salt Lake City, UT
    June 1, 2011 9:27 a.m.

I think we would be better off if we all abandoned religious beliefs. I'm not talking about abandoning love, compassion, charity and other virtues encouraged and practiced by both Christians and non-Christians; I'm talking about abandoning belief in resurrection, miracles etc Think of how many religious leaders create conflict based on differences based on religious beliefs.

Wouldn't it be nice if our conflicts were based on reality we experiences?

• New Yorker Pleasant Grove, UT
    June 1, 2011 9:25 a.m.

Scott Bradley,
    As a convert to Mormonism and having left the Protestant genre, I can tell you that Mormonism and Mormons in general take a very liberal view of the scriptures when compared to some Protestant denominations. Not only that, but Mormons focus on the living prophet, not the dead ones, whether those from the Bible or those from the 1800s. What God gave those people in knowledge and understanding for their milieu, so they could carry their life's burdens, was important for them, but only a "type" for us. We have our own "Way to Be" to prepare to meet God. Huntsman is right, explaining all this in a sound-byte to the media is close to futile. If the teachings in your ward or home were overly literal, you'll have to get past them and watch the living prophet and apostles. Whether you find your way back to the Church or not, it's not as you've portrayed it. There are probably about 40 years of Ensigns and conference talks on line that anyone can study to learn the true and underlying teachings of Mormonism.

• morpunkt Glendora, CA
    June 1, 2011 9:15 a.m.

Isn't the tacit implication of Warren Cole's remarks more concerned about monetary loss from prospective congregants who convert to Mormonism?

• gizmo33 St. George, Utah
    June 1, 2011 9:14 a.m.

to each their own I have no use for religion I dont critize anybody for their prferance to be a member of a religous group. its just not for me. and as I have said in the past I would never vote for Huntsman or Romney and them being LDS has nothing to do with it. my stance on them two is purely political I just dont like their politics

• New Mexico Albuquerque, NM
    June 1, 2011 9:12 a.m.

Is a vote for Harry Reid a vote for the LDS Church also??

• snowman Provo, UT
    June 1, 2011 9:00 a.m.

Anti Bush-Obama: Look at what Romney did for his own state.

• InsideView Draper, UT
    June 1, 2011 8:34 a.m.

Dangerous? We will know dangerous first hand if Obama wins a second election. Huntsman is not far behind. I worry that "Fence Sitter" Huntsman will really make non-Mormons (who really don't understand what and who Mormons are) even more confused about the religion. Go Mitt!

• Rifleman Salt Lake City, Utah
    June 1, 2011 8:00 a.m.

The LDS Church will still be growing world wide long long after Warren Cole Smith is forgotten. By their fruits you shall know them, and based on the assistance the LDS Church gives to the hungry and poor it would appear that their fruit is sweet and good.

• peter Alpine, UT
    June 1, 2011 7:55 a.m.

If the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Sainst didn't promote good principles, the devil and his advocates would leave it alone. Smith, thanks for the compliment and letting us know where you stand.

• mohokat Ogden, UT
    June 1, 2011 7:53 a.m.

What about Mormonism? Ask Huntsman he would know!

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    June 1, 2011 7:46 a.m.

I love the irony in the fact that the political party most LDS align with hate mormonism.

• silas brill Heber, UT
    June 1, 2011 7:33 a.m.

[ Smith replied, "Let me ask you: is anything that is false not dangerous? Anything false is dangerous. Falsehood leads to danger." ]

I couldn't agree more. All religion is false. All religion is dangerous. That includes the religion of Mr. Romney as well as the religion Mr. Smith. Let's please do away with them.

• radio_lover Toronto, Ontario
    June 1, 2011 7:26 a.m.

I have read all comments, having read the story first, of course. I have some wonderful friends in the LDS faith though I myself am not a member. Tolerance can go a long way here. I wonder how many remember when some extremist factions pointed a finger at Elvis Presley when he was beginning to make a name for himself. Some people even went so far as to say anyone who listened to Elvis, even when he sang a beautiful ballad, was doomed to eternal damnation.

• Esquire Springville, UT
    June 1, 2011 6:50 a.m.

He says: "Anything false is dangerous. Falsehood leads to danger." I guess the GOP is dangerous, then. {wink}

• Rynn Las Vegas, NV
    June 1, 2011 6:39 a.m.

Re: Xenon Vortex

Everyone has their own opinion, so I'm not going to hate on the guy, but it's a little shallow to base a vote off of religion. Likewise goes for people that might be Mormons. I've heard people say they want to vote for him just because he's Mormon. Or vote against him just because he's Mormon.
    Honestly, some people need to look beyond that and get down to the grit of the politics.
    ----------------

Very true. We aren't voting for a Spiritual Leader of the country.

• bribri Holladay, UT
    June 1, 2011 5:16 a.m.

LDS religion is not an issue, the only issue is the way LDS people are with others.

• Scott Bradley Rigby, ID
    June 1, 2011 3:59 a.m.

I'm glad somebody said it. The scriptural literalism I learned from Mormonism made me make so many mistakes in my life that I eventually realized something was wrong and found my way out of the church.

• Brahmabull sandy, ut
    June 1, 2011 12:00 a.m.

Even if the church isn't "true" as many claim it is, the word dangerous can hardly be applied to mormons. Many mormons are some of the most kind and christ like people I know. Yes, some may be judgemental, but I think that the vast majority are good hearted people with a desire to do good to others. I don't think this guy has thought about what he said before he said it.

• B Logan, UT
    May 31, 2011 11:51 p.m.

@atl134

"And 16 straight months of private sector job growth. Considering when he was sworn in that month lost over 700k jobs... the fact that it only took 11 months after that to get back to 0 job loss and then follow that up with 16 straight months of private sector job growth... he really isn't doing bad at all."

Get serious. You can drink the DNC koolaid if you want to, but it doesn't bring back jobs. 9% is the official rate of unemployment. The real rate is estimated to be much higher. So MSNBC and the DNC can spin this anyway they like. They can try to remind us about Bush and this is all HIS fault. It won't matter to people who are out of work. It's the only thing that will matter in 2012. Obama is in trouble.

• DesertRat Gilbert, AZ
    May 31, 2011 11:33 p.m.

I've been reading Holocaust Literature for a class, and the rhetoric coming from these guys is eerily similar to that leveled at the Jews prior to World War II. Would they pass laws making it illegal to do business with Mormons?

• OU812 Layton, UT
    May 31, 2011 11:27 p.m.

I didn't know Maverick was Mormon. Crazy some of the things you learn these days. LOL

• Captain Moroni Provo, UT
    May 31, 2011 11:05 p.m.

Hey Warren,

Why do you fear?

"Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering." - Yoda

• GoodGuyGary Houston, TX
    May 31, 2011 10:20 p.m.

Who is Warren Cole Smith? What has he done for this country?

• metalmaniasunshine Visalia, CA
    May 31, 2011 10:15 p.m.

Let me get this straight. I am a mormon and I am not bashing anyone else. I just ask that you don't bash my religious beliefs because they are sacred to me. Just like your beliefs are sacred to you. Judge not that ye be not judged. This is a commandment to all people... not just one or two. We all are children of God and just because we are different religions does not make one or the other evil and dangerous. If you want to call names.... find out first what you are talking about then judge me, because I am sure that My Heavenly father will be the final judge. Like it or not we are brothers and sisters. We will find out in the long run...... Quit judging others. It is not our place in this life.

• JRJ Pocatello, ID
    May 31, 2011 10:05 p.m.

Let's see, "actively promoting a false religion." Would that be Rev. Wright's church or perhaps Obama's.......religion....whatever it is?

• Still Blue after all these years Kaysville, UT
    May 31, 2011 9:43 p.m.

Many Evangelicals would rather have Obama than a Mormon. They won't say this but their votes will make it happen.

• RagnarL4 Tupelo, MS
    May 31, 2011 9:03 p.m.

Mormons are dangerous?

That's laughable. Something about "By their fruits". I wonder why here in the Belt Buckle of the Bible Belt we have the highest poverty, illiteracy, obesity, and teenage pregnancy anywhere? "By their fruits" I suspect.

But yes, Romney himself is dangerous. In fact he's pure political poison. His policies are essentially the same as Obama's. I fear if he were to win, these ominous policies would be celebrated rather than vilified as they mostly are today.

The GOP needs to find a better candidate... fast... and it ain't Palin.

• WHAT NOW? Saint George, UT
    May 31, 2011 8:25 p.m.

@7:33 PM

Thank you for your comment.

To add to your thought:

Someone once said:

There are three sides to every story...

Yours, Mine and the Truth.

• coltakashi Richland, WA
    May 31, 2011 8:09 p.m.

These anti-Mormons who want to deny to Mormons their civil rights as Americans to be elected to any public office would alsobe happy to take away our freedom to vote and to proselyte and to practice our religion, since, after all, they consider it "dangerous".

But surely what is more dangerous is a man who has declared his opposition to the principle of freedom of religion that was embraced by the Founding Fathers in Article VI of the Constitution--"no religious test for public office"--and in the First Amendment. People who want to deny Mormons full citizenship are religious bigots who reject America's founding principles of religious pluralism, and equal justice under law. They are enemies of America as a community of people defined by common ideals, by God's ordinance giving all men and women equal rights, and insist instead on government in which the people are governed not "by the people" but by those he deems as right-thinking Christians.

• greenman108 Petaluma, CA
    May 31, 2011 8:04 p.m.

owl master tells us: Religion or lack thereof has no place in a political contest.

We have so called freedom of religion and to base one's qualifications upon his or her religion is tantamount to attempt to establish a national religion.

If anyone states his religious preference during a campaign or even alludes to a religion I will not support of vote for that person. I don't care which political party they belong to.

In real life, I saw a Bible thumping man demand from the audience that all the debaters in the early Republican 2008 debate tell the national audience then and there whether they each specifically believed every Word of the Bible to be True. Neither the organizers of the debate nor any candidate spoke up that religion is a personal matter and to get off the stage before we drag you off by your ear. owl master: You probably cant vote at all if you are going to restrict yourself to people who wont let on what their tradition is. Eisenhower was unique in keeping his beliefs private.

• man of few words Salt Lake City, UT
    May 31, 2011 8:00 p.m.

Yeah ... except that both Harry Reid AND Mit Romney are Mormon and since their politics don't often agree, his argument doesn't hold water.

• Wally West SLC, UT
    May 31, 2011 7:50 p.m.

re: TRUTH | 3:30 p.m. May 31, 2011

Really?

• Joggle Clearfield, UT
    May 31, 2011 7:42 p.m.

Indeed, Mormonism is headed up by a charismatic leader and believes in things others may see as dangerous, or at least unknown. But when we speak too much of charismatic leaders and strange practices, then we must also look at original Christianity as dangerous as well. Christianity was originally seen as false and dangerous. It was violently persecuted as well as being a persecutor. Religion as a whole can be dangerous if those that are born into a religion are taught at a "very" young age to "believe" as their parents do. This is very effective and is a form of brainwashing. There is little more pathetic and sad, then to see a eight year old child telling you that you are going to "burn in hell". Religions can be dangerous when its' influence effects decision making, sometimes life altering decisions are made based on religious influence. Religion can be dangerous when it causes fear and hate. Religion can be dangerous because it is the only area of human discourse that is considered off limits to reason. Without subjecting this discourse to reason, no compromise is ever possible. That makes religion the only perpetually divisive idea on the planet. Examples_show_here_everyday!

• MapleDon Springville, UT
    May 31, 2011 7:41 p.m.

Smith is creating publicity for himself by being controversial. Pure and simple

• Idaho Coug Meridian, Idaho
    May 31, 2011 7:33 p.m.

This really isn't too complicated. Non-Mormons think Mormons don't have the truth. Mormons think non-Mormons don't have the truth.

Too bad it bleeds over into politics.

• greenman108 Petaluma, CA
    May 31, 2011 7:32 p.m.

I hate to see such prejudice, masquerading as "knowledge" or 'fact'. Its the kind of evil attack that provokes the scientific community to pound on ALL religions, as if no religion and no spiritual practices could possibly be in alignment with Truth.
    Our country has high-falutin' ideas about itself. Often we dont live up to the ideals expressed in our founding documents. I remember being amazed when I learned during high school American history, that Utah had to renounce polygamy to gain statehood. Maybe Romney's service to our nation will be to get people to question the meme that the US of A is a 'Christian' country. I long for separation of church and state to be accepted everywhere, and for all persons to adopt a live and let live attitude about personal life decisions. Once again we are faced with the ugly side of American prejudice. The other day a Catholic man brought weapons to a place where abortions are performed, with the intention to murder an MD and make others fearful to exercise their civil rights.
    Enough. Please.

• The Rock Federal Way, WA
    May 31, 2011 7:29 p.m.

@DeltaFoxtrot

It is self-evident that those who will not govern themselves cannot be trusted with self government. John Adams, our second president said The Constitution is completely and wholly capable of governing a good and righteous people, and completely and wholly incapable of governing any other kind. The freedom of this people depends on each individual maintaining high moral and ethical standards.

Alexis de Tocqueville, a French author, after visiting America said:

I sought for the greatness and genius of America in her commodious harbors and her ample rivers; and it was not there; in her fertile fields and boundless prairies; and it was not there; in her rich mines and her vast world commerce; and it was not there. Not until I went to the churches of America and heard her pulpits aflame with righteousness did I understand the secret of her genius and power. America is great because she is good; and if America ever ceases to be good; America will cease to be great.

Freedom and Religion are inseparable. To say that religion and politics should never mix is to deny the very source of our liberty.

• Razzle2 Bluffdale, UT
    May 31, 2011 7:13 p.m.

All Mormons have trampolines. ...Soon to be installed at the White House.

• Neanderthal SLC, Utah
    May 31, 2011 7:07 p.m.

LDS a dangerous religion? Wait a minute. We just elected a president who attended a Madrassah in his youth. Madrassahs are run by the Muslim religion who is implicated in terrorist attacks and terrorist activities around and across the world... Even the terrorists who flew planes into NYC's Twin Towers killing 3,000 Americans were Muslim, not LDS.

• Aggielove Junction city, Oregon
    May 31, 2011 6:30 p.m.

My green jello with lima beans, or carrots will taste even better after reading this story.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    May 31, 2011 6:29 p.m.

"Obama is presiding over 9% unemployment."

• Xenon Vortex New York City, NY
    May 31, 2011 6:27 p.m.

• JoeBlow Miami Area, Fl
    May 31, 2011 6:20 p.m.

"MONEY!!! Yes it's the all - mighty dollar"

And power. All major religions have MONEY and POWER over others as a bi-product.

Funny how it always seems to work out that way.

• Oregonian Sherwood, OR
    May 31, 2011 6:16 p.m.

This does remind me of another election when the religious establishment said a vote for the "cult" member was a vote for Satan. Barabas won that election in a landslide.

• owlmaster2 Kaysville, UT
    May 31, 2011 6:15 p.m.

Religion or lack thereof has no place in a political contest.

• grandmagreat Lake Havasu City, AZ
    May 31, 2011 6:10 p.m.

Many of these comments indicate that most people do not really know or understand the doctrine of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. My ancestors were driven from their homes in Nauvoo, Illinois to make the long unmarked path to the Rocky Mountains, and part way there my Great Grandfather became one of the Mormon Battalion that made the longest military march in History to protect this country from a war with Mexico,leaving his family behind to make the trip with the help of other members. I have voted in many many elections, my family have been both Democrat, Republican, Independent, and some that didn't care enough to vote. But we all have the same testimony that this is a country that was initially organized because people wanted freedom to worship as they may. My suggestion is if you don't know what the LDS (Mormon)church is all about you better talk to one of those young men in white shirts and ties with the black name badges. I testify that they can help you to know that this Country was established for religious freedom. grandmagreat

• B Logan, UT
    May 31, 2011 5:42 p.m.

Oh the hope of the left that stuff like this gets some traction. People make too many assumptions about ALL Christians. Foremost among those assumptions is that everyone in the Bible belt votes in lockstep with one another.

Here's the fact (and I think I have stated this several times in several posts): Obama is presiding over 9% unemployment. A lot of people (as evidenced by last November's election) are NOT on board with the democrats. My prediction is that there will be many stories like this one between now and November 2012. But if the unemployment rate doesn't drop really fast really soon, Romney's Mormonism isn't going to matter to people as much as Obama's ineptitude.

• Silly Rabbit Magna, UT
    May 31, 2011 5:41 p.m.

Dangerous, wow, its good to know. I witnessed some dangerous LDS people once it was after the ward picnic when evryone was driving home hoped up on to much ice cream.

Driving a mini-van full of kids with an Ice Cream headache = Danger

Oh yea this other time I was playing basketball in a ward house ooh yea Church Ball, yep you guessed it DANGER! This Smith dude must have witnessed some LDS people in those activities.

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    May 31, 2011 5:39 p.m.

I don't want to be mormon. I certainly don't want mormonism to influence government. But I live here part of the year. Call 'em weird, quirky or whatever, but I've never found 'dangerous' in the mix. This is just one more reason religion should be a more personal and less public phenomena.

• John20000 Cedar Hills, UT
    May 31, 2011 5:35 p.m.

Dangerous???

When was the last time a Mormon strapped explosives to himself and blew people up? Or triggered panic by claiming the end of the world was coming? Or held a high political office and pushed his religious beliefs?

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Mine is that Mormons are not dangerous.

• cindyacre Shelley, ID
    May 31, 2011 5:28 p.m.

Keller needs to read what President Hinckley told Romney when he met with him during Romney's last run for US president, "It will be great if you win, and it will be great if you don't." (paraphrasing)

The differing factors of the LDS faith and others are very real, but one factor must be given pause: That the LDS DO believe in Christ (even as an individual, not a Trinity), and that they DO believe in living Christ's teachings. Those two facts are more important than any differences out there.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    May 31, 2011 5:28 p.m.

I want to think about this a different way for a second.

Let's take a hypothetical scenario. You're an active LDS member, happily married in the temple with several kids. One of whom is 20 and decides he or she wants to leave the church. How many LDS members consider that decision dangerous? For instance, if you think that leaving the church could harm celestial standing then wouldn't you consider that dangerous? Would thinking that decision is dangerous at least imply the consideration that whatever faith or lack thereof they were joining was also dangerous?

This pastor is suggesting that churches that disagree with him are teaching falsehoods and that falsehoods could harm standing in heaven which is dangerous for ones chances in the afterlife. On this level, is it really much different than how a significant proportion of LDS members would view leaving the church (other than the fact he's being less polite about it)?

(I'm overlooking his amusing lack of consistency and his political implications just to stick to this one point).

• coleman51 Orem, UT
    May 31, 2011 5:12 p.m.

I hope that there are far fewer of these extremists in our country today. If anyone is dangerous, it is people like Keller and Warren Cole Smith. I have been reading the Documentary History of the Church lately and they sound much like some preachers in the 1830's. I guess bigotry has never fully died.

• Wayne Rout El Paso, TX
    May 31, 2011 5:10 p.m.

It is sad that some are so bigoted that they place themselves as judges over everyone else. It is tempting to reply with the same sort of comments, but that accomplishes nothing. It is important to recognize those all who are known for good. I always feel that good people of any religion are better public servants than folks that have character problems.

• Spitvalve Denton, TX
    May 31, 2011 4:59 p.m.

It's interesting to me that opposition to the church flourishes wherever the church flourhishes. I moved to Denton, TX twenty-four years ago. There were four wards here. About the same time, a non-denominational church with a rabid anti-Mormon dogma started here. In twenty years it has grown into one of those megachurches. They just built a massive building and have thousands of attendees. They offer anti-Mormon classes and continually strive to "convert" Mormons around here. At the same time, the LDS church in Denton has grown from four wards to a stake that is bursting at the seams with twelve wards, and we will likely see the stake divide in the near future. Any negative attention given to the church from people like Professor Smith and that Keller guy will only help to move the work forward.

• CWEB Orem, UT
    May 31, 2011 4:49 p.m.

Funny if it weren't so very sad.

• sanpaco Sandy, UT
    May 31, 2011 4:31 p.m.

This guy is a first class moron. He can't even back up his own argument that anything false is dangerous when asked about Catholicism and Judaism. I don't know why crap like this makes the papers. Just ignore these idiots.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    May 31, 2011 4:14 p.m.

Bill Keller is scared to death about a Mormon president and the effect that will have on his "bottom line"... MONEY!!! Yes it's the all - mighty dollar that phonies like Bill Keller and his evangelitcal frauds are most concerned about. Mitt becomes president, more people take a serious look into "Mormonism" and guess what - Bill Keller loses even more of his flock to the LDS missionaries than he is already losing. The last thing Bill Keller wants is more competition which directly effects his pocket book. What a joke!!

• Independent Henderson, NV
    May 31, 2011 4:09 p.m.

"I guess this man's opinion stems from the belief that every Mormon doesn't think for him/herself, rather, they follow the whims of the all powerful prophet."

And how awful would it have been, had our government listened to Gordon B. Hinckley when he told us all to get our houses in order and stay out of debt? Can you imagine? How scary! We can't have politicians running around, doing good to all men and being honest and chaste like their religious leaders tell them to. It would be the end of the Republic!

• O'really Idaho Falls, ID
    May 31, 2011 4:07 p.m.

Thumbs up to DonO's comment. The only danger I can see in a Mormon president is that if he actually turns out to be a good president (independent of his religous beliefs) it might in a roundabout way cause more people to become interested in the president's religion and by doing so, find truth for the first time in their lives, thereby desiring to leave congregations like that of this befuddled pastor and resulting in a dangerously low amount of money in his pocketbook. (I know that was a run-on sentence.)

Honestly the only effect Mormonism might have on the president is to hopefully make him/her a better individual. Although even that is questionable-for example Harry R.

• Pagan Salt Lake City, UT
    May 31, 2011 4:04 p.m.

'If you call yourself Pagan and you have an opinion on Christians....' - TRUTH | 3:30 p.m. May 31, 2011

And when you call yourself 'Latter Day Saint' and not Christian...? :)

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    May 31, 2011 4:01 p.m.

@underdog

"though I do wonder how they reconcile some of the things that the party and those that control it stand for."

I struggle to figure out how the United Order is not the most socialist gov't type system the US has ever seen.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    May 31, 2011 3:58 p.m.

"Which means the reality is that the only hope for an LDS president is out of the Democratic party. And given the fact that the latest census numbers show that there are exactly 13 LDS Democrats, this appears unlikely. "

The Udalls are both over 60 so if they're going to run they're probably going to have to do it around 2016 or 2020. I wouldn't rule out one of them being considered though I think it'd be a longshot that they even get into a race.

• Alex 1 Tucson, AZ
    May 31, 2011 3:56 p.m.

paperboy111:

"Yes, it does seem odd, but the only viable path for a Mormon presidential candidate today is through the Democratic party. "

Since when? No matter. Let us say you are right. The fact is, I don't participate in partisan politics merely for the purpose of electing a Mormon. The only draw for me to join the Democrat Party as currently constituted is that I won't be excommunicated for doing it. Wow, thats attractive. Of course, I won't be excommunicated for joining the Nazi Party either. If Democrats were electing people like Grover Cleveland again, then I would be jumping out of my skin to be a Democrat.

• Grundle West Jordan, UT
    May 31, 2011 3:51 p.m.

re: paperboy111

You seem to think that the LDS people meet together and agree on which political party to affiliate with.

I have this rather humorous scenario in my head of the Bishop of my ward (a wonderful man who declares himself a Democrat!) lining us up, having us count off by two and the 1s are assigned Republicans and the 2s are assigned as Democrats.

Some of the very liberal posters on these forums are LDS. Some of the very conservative posters on these forums are LDS. We are what we are.

I suspect that in our congregations we find people of many political persuasions. Most of the ones in my ward are Republicans.

Sometimes I am Republican too! Sometimes I am something else. Depends on the issue. I register Republican because it is the party to which I most closely identify. I am active in my local politics because I believe my point of view is worth hearing and has value.

Nobody needs to assign me to a group...I'll tell you what I think about a particular issue. I might even surprise you! I get surprised by my ward family all the time!

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    May 31, 2011 3:38 p.m.

Pagan, if you were offended/threatened by my post, it's past time to recalibrate your sarcasm meter.

• TRUTH Salt Lake City, UT
    May 31, 2011 3:30 p.m.

when analyzing criticism you always have to consider the source......

If you call yourself Pagan and you have an opinion on Christians....you are not going to be credible to anyone.

• underdog463 Yorba Linda, CA
    May 31, 2011 3:30 p.m.

@paperboy111 - I can think of many good reasons why members of the LDS Church would not want to be affiliated with the Democrats (the party of the left), abortion as birth control, support for gay marriage, the "progressive" viewpoint that is hostile to religion generally and Christian belief specifically, anti-merit based public policy such as support for affirmative action and condemnation of school voucher programs, slavish adherence to welfare programs that serve only to...well...enslave the poor, their insistance on forced charity, and earth worship to name a few. I know several members who are Democrats and I don't think any less of them, though I do wonder how they reconcile some of the things that the party and those that control it stand for. Our shared religious belief is what I like about them, not their political affiliation.

• IDC Boise, ID
    May 31, 2011 3:29 p.m.

Has Harry Reid been too dangerous to this guys flock?

Mitt could help the church, he could hurt the church.

The lies I have heard from other church's leaders are in line with what DonO had to say. It hurts the pocketbook.

• MarieDevine Divine-Way Kansas City, MO
    May 31, 2011 3:22 p.m.

All religions have been deceived and turned from what is clearly written to their prophets. Jesus said, First take the beam out of your own eye, then shall you see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye.

God promised more revelation, before and after Joseph Smith Jr. God has restored many things to the church that we find mentioned in the Bible. Most criticism of LDS is like the criticism of Islam. It is all based on fear, lies and a lack of knowledge of what God told the prophets.

Take your eyes off the prophets and the church and what they have become, and see what God told the prophets. You will see the power of truth to join all people to the Bible. LDS has several pages of references to Jesus Christ in his many roles. Doctrines and Covenants are Jesus' words giving guidance for the church. God is doing a great work. HOWEVER,

All religions are commanded not to make images and to follow the Lord's day, 7th day Sabbath of no work for any. Exodus 20, Ten Commandments. Corrections are needed by all, government should lead with the Bible.

• underdog463 Yorba Linda, CA
    May 31, 2011 3:18 p.m.

Here's another take on it. To this gentleman the LDS church IS dangerous. It is dangerous to his continued legitimacy as a religious leader and therefore ultimately to his financial well being. If Mitt Romney were to become president, or even if he actually became a nominee, that would cause people to want to know what that Mormon religion is all about and ultimately, some people would leave the hellfire and brimstone evangelical brand of Christianity for Mormonism. Those things could decrease his book sales, speaking engagements, and even invitations to be a commentator on TV (if he is) which would negatively impact his pocketbook. Just sayin.'

• Pagan Salt Lake City, UT
    May 31, 2011 3:17 p.m.

1..2...3..4..5...

Ok.

I'm stopping at five replies.

Must have hit a sore spot.

Relly people. I didn't even MENTION a specific faith by name. I simply IMPLIED something and some go gnashing at the bit.

Let me be clear, I have met, and are friends with wonderful LDS members. Who I would never think to be violent and, if needed, defend their passive, non-violent approach to many, diverse topics.

But others? Just like ANY group, there are excellent examples, and bad ones.

Thanks:
    Rifleman | 11:28 a.m., Jared | 11:32 a.m., KM | 11:42 a.m., georgeman | 1:10 p.m., Brave Sir Robin | 1:53 p.m.

for proving this author right.

• Idaho Coug Meridian, Idaho
    May 31, 2011 3:13 p.m.

It is clear that a certain percentage of the far right, evangelical voters will never respect LDS beliefs and will never vote for a Mormon. It makes no difference how "mainstream" our PR statements appear, there really is nothing the Church can do or say to make this block respect our beliefs or think we are Christian. There is nothing I can do to get my BIL to root for BYU over Utah either. It is what it is. Some things just are not worth the effort.

The problem is that I'm not sure someone can get the Republican nomination without their vote. Which means the reality is that the only hope for an LDS president is out of the Democratic party. And given the fact that the latest census numbers show that there are exactly 13 LDS Democrats, this appears unlikely.

• DonO Draper, UT
    May 31, 2011 3:12 p.m.

The only reason Mormonism is "dangerous" to evangelical preachers like Mr. Smith is because it tends to take away members of their flock who are paying "offerings" to support their grand lifestyles. I'd dare say that if you looked at William Cole Smith's income statement, home(s) and automobile(s) you'd see exactly why he thinks Mormonism is dangerous...to him.

• Alex 1 Tucson, AZ
    May 31, 2011 3:08 p.m.

Honestly, I am flattered that this man thinks we are dangerous. Seriously. Sometimes it is good to know that you make a difference, even if it strikes some with fear.

• Madden Herriman, UT
    May 31, 2011 2:52 p.m.

I am LDS and can understand the concerns of some of these Christians, even if I think they are wrong and often tactless (and usually missing the point).

I don't think the LDS Church would be Romney's puppet master, but would be uncomfortable about the idea if I were not LDS, same as if a Jehovah's Witness were running for president.

Do you honestly feel that if we had Romney as US President that Pres. Monson could not get an audience at any time? That the living prophets would have no influence on the US Presidency if they sought it?

We are very tied our church's doctrines and the modern revelations drive specific actions and behaviors more than almost ANY other church out there that is considered mainstream (or close to it). Our canon is not closed, we are part of a living church. When a pronouncement is made as general church doctrine, there is little getting around it if you are an active believer.

• paperboy111 Lindon, UT
    May 31, 2011 2:50 p.m.

I've constantly argued that Mormons need to start thinking about divorcing themselves from the "party of the religious right" in order to become politically acceptable by the mainstream voter of this country. Because the Republican Party is so closely intertwined with the fabric of the Evangelical Christian movement, it is nearly impossible for Mormon candidates outside of Utah, Idaho, Arizona or Nevada, where there is strong Mormon voting representation, to be elected to a national office. At one time Mormons enjoyed strong membership in both the Democratic and Republican parties. There is no reason a good Mormon cannot be a good Democrat today. Yes, it does seem odd, but the only viable path for a Mormon presidential candidate today is through the Democratic party.

• JohnJacobJingleHeimerSchmidt Beverly Hills, CA
    May 31, 2011 2:47 p.m.

I can't wait until Palin jumps in the game against Romney and unleashes some anti Mormon ignorance of her own and those Mormons who love Romney and Palin will feel completely betrayed. You don;t think she will do it? Just look at her ignorant and inflaming statements about the President, a fellow Christian. It's going to get nasty just like Huckabee did to Romney last go around.

• RAB Bountiful, UT
    May 31, 2011 2:32 p.m.

Far more dangerous than a Mormon president is some nutcase getting undeserved media attention embarrassing all Christians with his misguided un-Christ-like rhetoric.

On the other hand, more likely than not, he will only influence more people to investigate his claims and learn what the LDS church actually teaches.

• grj Bountiful, ut
    May 31, 2011 2:25 p.m.

Whether or not the LDS church is false, who appointed Warren Cole Smith judge and jury?

• John C. C. Payson, UT
    May 31, 2011 2:08 p.m.

His three mistakes:

1. Not all the lost tribes - just parts of two, and 1 group before there were 12 tribes. New revelation may name many more.

2. Modern ≠ historical ≠ Orthodox ≠ Biblical Christianity = The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

3. Mitt might spur growth of, or embarrass, the Church.

His hope is most curiousthat the modern revelation he finds dangerous might lead the Church back into orthodox Christianitywhich rejects modern revelation.
    In general, I appreciate that he sees the major differences between the LDS and other Christian Churches. Im glad he draws attention to modern revelation and the teachings of the Book of Mormon. I just dont understand the fear.

• Owen Heber City, UT
    May 31, 2011 2:07 p.m.

"The only thing dangerous about beliefs is if those beliefs could potentially lead to dangerous actions. A different view of God and salvation (physical v spirit, works v grace, etc.) really has no potential to lead to dangerous actions."

??? Crack open any history book. "A different view of God and salvation" is at the core of almost every conflict -- including those between Mormons and mobs, immigrants and the U.S Army.

• MOTO X Alpine, UT
    May 31, 2011 2:04 p.m.

Any religion that teaches you to be "...honest, true, chaste, benevolent, virtuous, and in doing good to all men..." is clearly a very dangerous religion.

I'll tell you what is dangerous....anyone who takes this author seriously....that is what is dangerous.

• John C. C. Payson, UT
    May 31, 2011 2:04 p.m.

I was curious to see what makes my religion seem dangerous to Mr. Smith so I read his interview. I found 5 main fears and one very peculiar hope.

1. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints believes in continuing revelation, making it unstable and unpredictable.

2. "On such essential doctrines as the Trinity and the role of Jesus in salvation, there are major differences between orthodox (biblical) Christianity and Mormonism."

3. "...the 'lost tribes' of Israel actually ended up in America, and that Jesus visited America and these tribes"

4. "Placing a Mormon in that [bully] pulpit would be a source of pride and a shot of adrenaline for the LDS church."

5. The LDS are not tied to historical Christianity.

His hope: "Because Mormons believe in continuing revelation, it is possible that in the future the LDS church will renounce its heretical beliefs and come fully into the fold of orthodox Christianity."

• Janet Ontario, OR
    May 31, 2011 1:59 p.m.

If the prophet were as powerful and influential as many non-Mormons think he is, sacrament-meeting attendance, temple attendance, tithing, home teaching, food storage, and many other things would be observed far more than they are by the LDS people. It seems the scare tactic du jour to say that anyone who opposes our viewpoint is "scary" or "dangerous." Yawn.

• johnnylingo62 Gray, TN
    May 31, 2011 1:57 p.m.

I was going to write something, but on second thought, it's impossible to "discuss" something when only one side is listening and trying to understand. Bias and fear keep people ignorant, "he that hath ears to hear, let him hear" (Matt 13:9, 13, 14, 43)

• RED23 Layton, UT
    May 31, 2011 1:54 p.m.

@DeltaFoxtrot
    Because every president we have had up to this point has been an agnostic? I believe we've had all sorts of religions serve as president of the United States. Let's not tie any religion and political office together. Kennedy was a Catholic. Look at Carter. I believe they were both VERY religious.

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    May 31, 2011 1:53 p.m.

@Pagan

Better be careful about offending all of us Mormons...after all, we're dangerous. You don't know what we can do to you.

As for the author of these quotes, I bet you $20 he'll be up on child porn charges within the next three years.

• 2 bits Cottonwood Heights, UT
    May 31, 2011 1:46 p.m.

It's only "dangerous" to pastors who want to keep their flock in check and keep them from questioning.

If these pastors had confidence in the people and the truth of their doctrine... there would be no "danger". People would just hear the message and reject it. Problem is... that's not what's happening more and more in today's world.

LDS people don't FORCE anyone to listen to their message or force anybody to believe their message. What's the danger?

LDS people don't believe it's "Dangerous" to have Presidents who are of OTHER faiths... so why would it be so dangerous to have an LDS President?

The LDS believe that church (an organization focused on individual decisions, morality, spirituality, etc) and state (focused on the law of the land) SHOULD be kept separate. That spiritual decisions are personal (not up to the state). And that we need to be obedient to the laws of the land. They acknowledge we all need to obey the laws of society... so they know we need to keep our government/laws good... so we can obey our government without having to disobey our conscience.

• Thlete Draper, UT
    May 31, 2011 1:46 p.m.

Ahh, the fear tactics to influence the ignorant masses. Fear that which you don't understand and call it dangerous. That way you don't have to study the issues and make up your own mind about a candidate. Onward, generalizations!

• axle Riverton, UT
    May 31, 2011 1:42 p.m.

I guess this man's opinion stems from the belief that every Mormon doesn't think for him/herself, rather, they follow the whims of the all powerful prophet. If you believe that, I guess I can see why this guy would be nervous. I wouldn't want to elect a Catholic if I knew he was taking orders from the Pope directly and that the Pope would be the real leader of the country. I don't think everyone needs to get all mad because of what this guy said, many of the evangelicals have been taught to believe what he said, and it will take time for people to see that the Prophet is our spiritual leader and not our all encompassing master.

• Miss Piggie SLC, Utah
    May 31, 2011 1:36 p.m.

@bricha: "Personally I kinda get a laugh when while I read his stuff."

I kinda get a laugh to think that the DNews would print this kind of stuff.

• DeltaFoxtrot West Valley, UT
    May 31, 2011 1:28 p.m.

@TheRock:

"The way a Mormon would govern or the way an Evangelical Christian would govern would be almost indistinguishable from each other."

And neither of them would be good for this country.

Politics and religion don't belong together.

• Idaho Coug Meridian, Idaho
    May 31, 2011 1:27 p.m.

The religious beliefs that worry me are the extreme end times beliefs. Would a leader with strong beliefs that the end is right around the corner make decisions differently based on that? Would he or she respond to middle east issues differently based on a belief of end times and Israel's central role in that?

The early LDS Church (up to late 1880's) was a very end times, Zion, gather together as one, us against the world, type of church. That legitimately did scare people politically. But the LDS church has moved away from that rehtoric a great deal during the past century.

It is actually the extreme, fundamental, far-right brand of christianity espoused by this guy that is very end-times, rapture oriented that I actually fear from a politician of that mind set.

Say what you want about LDS beliefs. But it is the beliefs of this guy that could actually translate into scary decisions.

• JohnJacobJingleHeimerSchmidt Beverly Hills, CA
    May 31, 2011 1:21 p.m.

I have seen some fellow LDS write on this forum, in emails and out loud denigrating other religions and calling them religions of evil so I am not surprised people would do this to the LDS CHurch. It is ugly human nature. What I am surprised by is Mormons bashing other religion considering on our own history of being persecuted and Joseph Smith being martyred.

I try to live my life and help others, regardless of religion. I am not going to vote for Romney or Huntsman due to religion. I especially won't vote for Romney the chameleon who is so desperate to get elected that he is going back on many issues he supported. I definitely won't have blind vote for him just because he is LDS.

• georgeman Kearns, UT
    May 31, 2011 1:10 p.m.

Pagan

Freedom of sexual choice does not mean freedom from criticism either right?

Just thought I would clarify that everyone has their freedoms and each freedom has its critics.

• wow Trabuco Canyon, CA
    May 31, 2011 1:03 p.m.

Wow, Ignorance is bliss.. Better to remain quiet and be thought a fool, than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt.
    Truth is truth, no matter what you call it. It's very interesting that he is a so-called Christian yet because of his lack in knowledge, he calls the LDS belief in Christlike living, false. Just because you don't understand something, it doesn't make it false.
    Note to Mr. Smith, Educate yourself first, lose your Hate second, then spout off when you have something intelligent to say.

• The Rock Federal Way, WA
    May 31, 2011 12:57 p.m.

This just shows the tremendous lack of understanding that people have of the LDS faith. It is important for us to see through their eyes so we can understand why they believe what they believe. Only after we put ourselves in their shoes and see what they see can we hope to change hearts and minds and much of that changing needs to take place with the LDS people.

I have heard LDS people making fun of the beliefs of others. We should not do that. Their beliefs as deeply held and very personal. Just as deeply held as our own testimonies.

Much of what Evangelical Christians believe is true. The Born Again experience is of God. It just does not mean what they think it means, but they are not that far off.

We must understand them first, then reach out in love and teach them the truth. I served my mission among them and have lived among them for 30 years.

• procuradorfiscal Tooele, UT
    May 31, 2011 12:55 p.m.

Re: "Author: LDS is 'dangerous religion'"

Maybe so.

But Mr. Smith, by establishing a religious test for public office, in direct contravention of the provisions of the Constitution [Article VI, paragraph 3], seems dangerous to the country and to freedom.

Whatever we may be dangerous to, it would be pretty hard to show we're dangerous to the Nation.

• bricha lehi, ut
    May 31, 2011 12:52 p.m.

Personally I kinda get a laugh when while I read his stuff.

• DeltaFoxtrot West Valley, UT
    May 31, 2011 12:47 p.m.

I contend that all major religions are "dangerous". Especially Judiasm, Christianity and Islam. All they teach is judgment and intolerance of differing points of view or ways of life.

• David B. Cedar City, UT
    May 31, 2011 12:46 p.m.

I've always treated religion as something that was meant to be private and not as a group thing where one group can be pitted against another. The ones that try to make it extreme are the ones on the edges of any religion.Rifleman you are right in your thinking to a point.The nuts in this country are the ones that go out of their way to find something wrong no matter how small and exploit it to a degree where it's not recognizable and its true meaning altered and lost.

• Eddie Syracuse, UT
    May 31, 2011 12:41 p.m.

@ Anti Bush-Obama

I believe a vote for Obama would be a vote for American Economic failure, destruction of American families as we know it and the complete and utter waste of all America holds dear.

Anything/one would be better than what this administration has done during the past 2 1/2 years.

• bigsoccer Syracuse, UT
    May 31, 2011 12:37 p.m.

So basically like anyone who doesn't understand something, he gave an answer that didn't answer the question at all.

• Anne26 West Jordan, UT
    May 31, 2011 12:27 p.m.

Anyone who believes the LDS church is not Christ centered, has not studied it's doctrine.

• metalmaniasunshine Visalia, CA
    May 31, 2011 12:17 p.m.

It is a commandment... Judge not that ye be not judged.... I think it is God's place to judge us not some guy that doesn't even know the first thing about being a Mormon. and btw... I know God loves me and Mitt Romney and even you YOU POOR POOR Judgmental man. He even loves you. I hope you learn to love others just a little more, because that too is a commandment. To feel hatred towards anyone is an act of Satan.

• JLFuller Boise, ID
    May 31, 2011 12:04 p.m.

This writer is just another in a long line of those who dislike us for one reason or another. It is no big deal. I suppose it will get worse if a Mormon is ever elected president. We knew what the landscape would be like before we got here.

• Iggle Salt Lake City, UT
    May 31, 2011 12:00 p.m.

I want to live in a world where Mormonism is something "dangerous" that the country needs to worry about. I want to live in such a world, where we don't worry about how our president will fight "dangerous" terrorists who can attack the U.S., or how we will protect the U.S. from the "dangerous" violence going on in Mexico and also how we can help that country or how we can improve the economy and save American families from the destitute conditions they find themselves in. I would love to live in such a world where someone's interpretation of belief in things you can't see can be a deciding issue for the leader of our country. I want to live in this world, but I do not. It does not exist.

Mr. Warren Smith apparently thinks it does, and he lives in it.

(I'm still not voting for Romney, though)

• FredEx Salt Lake, Ut
    May 31, 2011 11:51 a.m.

"Freedom of religion...

does not mean freedom from criticism."

Nor does criticism mean the critic is correct.

One of the main criticisms of the Mormon church is its claim to be the only true church. Well every other church claims the Mormons are wrong, so it sort of all evens out, doesn't it? I mean, if the others didn't think they were true, they'd be doing what the Mormons do, right?

• Anti Bush-Obama Washington, DC
    May 31, 2011 11:47 a.m.

A vote for romney is really a vote for the patriot act , continued TSA intrusions, more pointless wars and his heatlhcare plan which became known as obamacare. He will do nothing to reduce our debt let alone trying to pay any of it. He will be a terrible president and his religon is indifferent to me. I just look at the issues and what he supports and I cringe.

• Teafortwo salt lake city, utah
    May 31, 2011 11:46 a.m.

Barack Obama is far more dangerous to this country than an LDS president.

• KM Cedar Hills, UT
    May 31, 2011 11:42 a.m.

pagan

critisize all you want. The LDS church has offered much to society and will continue to do so. By their fruits ye shall know them.

• New Age Phil Delta, UT
    May 31, 2011 11:41 a.m.

Broad stoke brush by Smith. Specifically what tenets does either Smith or Keller claim justify their conclusions. Article did not specify just what their disagreement is with Mormonism as not being inline with their thinking of the Jesus Christ "Gospel" as they see it - thus their dislike of Romney as a Mormon.

• websrfn Saint George, UT
    May 31, 2011 11:40 a.m.

Warren Cole Smith is wrong. Religion, regardless of brand or geographic location is a parasitic thought disorder. If the motives or results of an election were fodder for "Prophesy" W.C.S. missed it altogether. Religion is proof positive of the extreme fragility of the human mind worldwide. You can't get something from nothing. You become what you think.

• Biker 100 Sandy, UT
    May 31, 2011 11:39 a.m.

Imagine. All my life I've been a dangerous man and didn't even know it. LOL

• metalmaniasunshine Visalia, CA
    May 31, 2011 11:38 a.m.

I am a Mormon and How dare you? We are taught to love each other It is a commandment. I am a Christian and I love Jesus and My Heavenly Father. How Dare you. For you to judge ANY religion is your ignorance. Study the Gospel that we believe in before you pass judgment on whom we serve because I serve God.

• InsideView Draper, UT
    May 31, 2011 11:35 a.m.

Didn't happen when he was Governor and won't happen when he is President.

• Jared Gainesville, FL
    May 31, 2011 11:32 a.m.

Re: Pagan

We (Mormons) don't want freedom from criticism. Did this article or any of the linked articles state otherwise?

• Rifleman Salt Lake City, Utah
    May 31, 2011 11:28 a.m.

Re: Pagan | 11:08 a.m. May 31, 2011

Some people vote for or against a candidate solely on skin color, political affiliation or the church they attend.

Wise people look a little deeper before voting for or against the candidate.

• We the People Sandy, UT
    May 31, 2011 11:27 a.m.

The LDS religion is dangerous only if you hate people who, generally, are trying to live Christlike lives.

Or if you think green jello and mini vans will conquer the earth.

• Jared Gainesville, FL
    May 31, 2011 11:26 a.m.

From the interview: "[According to Christians] the...Judaic belief is incomplete. The difference between Judaism and Mormonism is that everything that Judaism actively affirms, historical Christianity [non-Mormonism] believes to be true."

I don't think Mr. Smith thought through that answer. If Judaism is incomplete, yet historical Christians believe what Judaism actively teaches, you start running into some serious problems,especially with the belief that the Messiah has not yet come. Further, if you look at Judaism, even "active" (orthodox?) Judaism, it is temple-centric. That's one of the main reasons for the gathering of the Jews in Jerusalem (Zionism) so that they will be able to restore the temple at some point. Mr. Smith really was "not prepared to talk about Judaism," as he stated.

Mr. Smith's main issue is that he will only support a candidate who believes in Creedal Christianity (which is somewhat ironic considering some of the impetus for the Reformation resulted from the creeds).

• JDL Magna, UT
    May 31, 2011 11:16 a.m.

"The dogs may bark but the caravan moves on."
    Marion G. Romney, Gordon B. Hinckley and others.

• Pagan Salt Lake City, UT
    May 31, 2011 11:08 a.m.

'While expressing less vitriol in his delivery, evangelical author Warren Cole Smith said something similar in his recent article, "A Vote for Romney Is a Vote for the LDS Church."

Freedom of religion...

does not mean freedom from criticism.