U.S. & World

Mitt Romney looks like the one to beat in GOP race

Comments

• greenman108 Petaluma, CA
    June 1, 2011 9:49 a.m.

new PPP poll, just from Iowa residents:
    Mitt Romney has the lead in PPP's first Iowa poll since Mike Huckabee and Donald Trump exited the race, but with six different candidates polling in double digits it's clear this thing is wide open.

Romney polls at 21%. Sarah Palin and Herman Cain are tied for second at 15%. Newt Gingrich is 4th with 12%, Michele Bachmann 5th with 11%, Tim Pawlenty 6th with 10%, Ron Paul 7th with 8%, and Jon Huntsman 8th with 0% (only one respondent to the poll picked him.) 8% said they supported someone else or were undecided.

key points. Huntsman got one vote out of 600 respondents. Cain moved up dramatically in his first appearance in this poll in Iowa. Pawlenty is an also-ran even though he is a neighbor from MN and visits often. Bachmann not improving although she is from there and visits often. We shall see. Such a long long way to go until spring of 2012.

• MenaceToSociety Draper, UT
    May 31, 2011 3:01 p.m.

Mitt The Flip-Flopper? Really? After the way the Republicans beat up on John Kerry with the flip flopper claims? Wow. Incredible hypocrisy.

• BlueHusky Mission Viejo, CA
    May 31, 2011 12:56 p.m.

Romney has no chance. The cracker wing of the Republican Party won't vote for a Mormon.

Had he stuck to his principles and defended his work in Mass (yes, his healthcare plan, which Obama adopted after Mitt dropped out), he might have retained some credibility with independents and centrists.

So by swinging to the far right, where he has no credibility, he has alienated centrist Republicans and independents. The Tea Party movement will further run the changes of a GOP challenger to Obama.

I for one am glad of the Republican Social Engineering blunders. They hit a firestorm after Ryan's brilliant rob the poor to give to the rich budget proposal. The GOP needs a few years in purgatory before they'll be able to speak to the American people again.

Obama has turned the Titanic away from the iceberg, and we're slowly moving out of immediate danger despite the suicide bombing from the Tea Party.

We'll give Obama another 4 years. Good bye, Mitt.

• johnnylingo62 Gray, TN
    May 31, 2011 12:11 p.m.

I don't think there is a "perfect candidate" who is a professional politician. Politicians have to make many promises to various factions in order to be "popular" and get "financed". There's not a "perfect" anything in this world. People and Issues "evolve" as circumstances change. You have to have some flexibility on a few issues, but stay steadfast to the CORE issues. Core issues are set in the U.S. Constitution.
    Our Country and our World will continually be in a flux. Who has the best "judgment" when faced with a crisis? Who can make tough choices to keep the ship afloat in a storm? Who will be humble enough to ask their Maker for help; and will they listen and implement?
    Whomever is going to be the Pres from 2013-2017 is going to face some very tough situations. The race will probably be a 49-51 outcome so half the population isn't going to like the winner.. again. Who can unite the largest majority of people to make our nation strong again and keep our core values?

• greenman108 Petaluma, CA
    May 31, 2011 11:49 a.m.

Romney is now 2nd in polling behind Ralph Guliani, former Mayor of NYC, in the first poll since Huckabee and Trump left the race officially. Romney 15% to Guliani 16%. Sarah is at 14%. they are in a statistical tie, due to possible polling error with only 600 people polled.
    This article is specious. Hopeful fluff for those readers of the DN who are pre-sold on the product.
    When Huckabee and Trump dropped out, those votes did not go to Romney. They went to a candidate (Guliani) who had not even been running up until now. Cain and Paul are quite close. 10 and 12. Cain just started. the article is premature.

• whoisjohngalt Holladay, UT
    May 31, 2011 11:12 a.m.

So sad to hear robots like So. Cal Reader repeat back what they hear FOX news say. "Ron Paul has no chance". Yeah he doesnt as long as your robot listenrs vote how you want. And they know that. Sad.

I will always stand behind the canidate who defends the Constitution!

• bricha lehi, ut
    May 31, 2011 10:55 a.m.

I also am a Mitt Romney supporter, for now, but honestly I dont understand what all the fanfare is right now. The election is a year and a half away, and the first primaries arent for another 9 months, tons could and will happen between now and then.

• thebigsamoan Richmond, VA
    May 31, 2011 10:49 a.m.

@Furry1993 Romney's only change was in regard to abortion and gay marriage issues. He's been accused and assailed mercilessly in the media for being a flip flopper but he has never changed back so that label is down right lame. Besides, who hasn't changed his mind about anything? Wouldn't you rather have a man who realizes and admits he's wrong and then have the courage to acknowledge it and change rather than someone who arrogantly insist on doing the wrong thing? The flip flopper label is very unfair because he has never flopped back on any of the issues he changed his mind on. I believe Mitt is every bit as worthy and capable of leading our country out of the mess we're in now. Let's not crucify him before he's even given a chance. The main issues now are jobs and the economy, and Mitt is well suited with his experiences as a businessman to help with that. I believe Healthcare will be easier to solve once the economy is healthy and everyone is gainfully employed.

• JBQ Saint Louis, MO
    May 31, 2011 9:20 a.m.

I am a Mitt Romney supporter. It would matter a lot with whom he is linked for VP. I believe that Marco "Polo" Rubio would be a wise choice. Jindel of Louisiana should also be considered. Obviously, the main line media does a "job" on Romney. His religion is seen as a liability and the Mormon religion itself is unfortunately looked at with disdain in many circles. He is a good man and he deserves his "place in the sun".

• DeltaFoxtrot West Valley, UT
    May 31, 2011 9:07 a.m.

Does it matter? He doesn't have a snowball's chance of beating Obama.

• J-TX Allen, TX
    May 31, 2011 9:01 a.m.

I don't think Mitt offers a panacea. Heck, I think he would be only an OK president. But I know he is a patriot, and I know he understands business. He's not going to throw $4 Trillion of my and my children's money stupidly at a problem that will resolve itself cyclically. If nothing else, Mitt would be a good Prez because I think he would hold to the first tenet of the Hippocratic Oath: First, Do No Harm. On this count, Obama has failed abysmally.

• J-TX Allen, TX
    May 31, 2011 9:01 a.m.

Anyone who has an understanding of the economy knows it is not improving much. "Effective unemployment" is around 16%. It's just that the Obama administration has re-defined it to show an "official" number under 10%, a trick invented by Reagan / Bush1 to raise expectations, to get people spending, which is the real economic catalyst.

ObamaCare will not deliver on its promises to 1) make healthcare more affordable, 2) ensure healthcare access to all. In response to Obamacare, I have already seen the renewal paperwork from my Group carrier - higher premiums, larger co-pays, more expensive prescription benefits, and more exclusions. All Obamacare will do is make the Insurance companies richer.

• FDRfan Sugar City, ID
    May 31, 2011 8:25 a.m.

A winning platform in Utah: 1) Kick out all illegal aliens; 2) Repeal all child labor laws; 3) Let the children to do the work being done by illegal aliens; 4) Restrict schools to only the wealthy elite only the children of Chuck Eliots stable families should get educated. It is their right to reign in America. Do we want another Obama? 4) Dont lean forward - run backwards at the double quick to 1912; 5) Do away with all entitlements including paid vacations and holidays; 5) Appoint the Koch brothers as president the business of government is business; 6) Repeal all progressive legislation like FDA, Social Security, SEC, etc. 7) Ban all taxes except sales taxes. 8) Ban the word democracy and replace it with republic; 8) encapsulate all noxious weeds and promote them as cures for all maladies; 9) Promote the pyramid plan as the ideal business model; and 10) Ban the Democratic Party - or maybe that has been done already. Fergetaboutit Romney! You are way too liberal for Utah.

• Pagan Salt Lake City, UT
    May 31, 2011 8:11 a.m.

'I also wouldn't be surprised to see us hit with a significant Terrorist Attack sometime with in the next 12 months....' - poyman | 11:44 p.m.

I do not agree.

As, the last 2 years have not seen a major terrorist attack.

Your thinking of 9/11. Which happened in 2001.

FYI, that was BEFORE Obama.

The best talking point from the Republican party?

Show us your birth certificate.

The economy is in recovery, 50,000 troops pulled out of Iraq, Libya on the verge of surrender with zero US troops in Libya, and Osama Bin Laden is dead.

*'Last U.S. combat brigade leaves Iraq' - By Rebecca Santana - AP - Published by DSNews - 08/19/10
    'Seven years and five months after the U.S.-led invasion, the last American combat brigade was leaving Iraq, well ahead of President Barack Obama's Aug. 31 deadline for ending U.S. combat operations there.'

*'Gadhafi asks Obama to stop' - By Matthew Lee - AP - Published by DSNews - 04/06/2011

*'U.S. job situation looks etter still' - By Jeff Thredgold - DSnews - 05/10/11

While I always advocate doing your reasearch on any canidate, to me, the answer is clear.

Obama 2012

• Furry1993 Somewhere in Utah, UT
    May 31, 2011 7:11 a.m.

Which Romney? He changes so ofthen that it's not possible to keep up with who he might be on any given day. He may talk a good talk, but he doesn't back it up with action (in fact he changes his positions to match those of the people to whom he hopes to appeal). He's all sound and fury . . . and we all know how much that means. Nothing.

• fran246 West Roxbury, MA
    May 31, 2011 6:29 a.m.

gogogoff said about Ron Paul "he would leave Israel high and dry."

I am more concerned about electing someone who would be president of all the people, Ron Paul or not Ron Paul. Israel has nothing to do with managing this country back to where it needs to be to protect our children and their children. We are founded upon a principle called separation of church and state; you may have heard it mentioned.

• poyman Lincoln City, OR
    May 30, 2011 11:44 p.m.

The Economy is now and will be the primary issue in 2012.... I fully expect the Dollar to take a dive before the election, and I expect Unemployment will rise to double digits and GDP to hang around 4%. I also wouldn't be surprised to see us hit with a significant Terrorist Attack sometime with in the next 12 months.... If these things happen, I would then suspect that the country will be open to replacing Obama and I further believe that Romney's skill set is best suited for that assignment.

My money and my voice will join the rest of my family in supporting the next President of the U.S., Mitt Romney.

• Mark B Eureka, CA
    May 30, 2011 11:36 p.m.

Rikki, I'm confused. How many electoral votes in Alberta in the next election? I don't know what you meant about Democrats "fighting dirty", but I haven't forgotten Florida 2000. I presume your "fight to the death" is pretty much rhetorical, right?

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    May 30, 2011 10:52 p.m.

Sarah is promising to mix it up this election. We need her. They've scared us so much that government can no longer do good. Therefore, we must let it do harm. GO sarah.

• bballjunkie Cedar Hills, UT
    May 30, 2011 10:32 p.m.

All I know is we need someone who can get America back on top economically! Romney can do it Obama has proven he can't. We need to stand up and make changes that will help us all start seeing a diffrence, or will all be paying 8.00 a gallon at the pumps soon.

• Doug10 Roosevelt, UT
    May 30, 2011 10:31 p.m.

Rikititavi,

although a member of the GOP I for one am very glad that this country is not being run by McCain and Sarah Palin. Yes it is hard to swallow that the Dems are the ones to beat next time but the country dodged a bullet when Sarah was unemployed after the last election.

There could have been tons more damage than what has been done to this country but hopefully this time our party can launch a candidate who is thinking and has more than just criticism to share.

• Doug10 Roosevelt, UT
    May 30, 2011 10:14 p.m.

Mitt should have stuck to his guns on the healthcare he got installed in MA. It was better than what was there before. Instead he showed doubt and the people from all parties pounced and he has been running ever since.

Mitt would never be able to help the country with the healthcare issue as he is now too fearful of his past. The healthcare issue, much like the illegal immigration issue is far from water under the bridge and this country needs somebody to sort out the confusion.

Mitt may be the current front runner but he has been spending millions going back and forth across this country deriding the current administration while Huntsman was actually doing this country some good. The election is still distant and there may be time for other good people to till catch up.

• FDRfan Sugar City, ID
    May 30, 2011 9:57 p.m.

I expressed an observation earlier that Senator Reid was the only Mormon politician to publicly claim to be influenced by the Book of Mormon. Ive been corrected. Ive been told that Senator Bennett has written a book on how the Book of Mormon has influenced him. I want to read it. But isnt it strange that Senators Bennett and Reid are so denounced as liberals in Utah?

• Fairenough4U Draper, utah
    May 30, 2011 9:56 p.m.

The polls are almost completely meaningless at this point.
    If the economy continues to improve, President Obama will be very difficult to defeat.
    I'm good with that. I would love to see the economy improve and I would like to see President Obama govern without having to be worried about another election. I would then like to see his wife elected for two terms. She is a very capable person and a great representative of the nation.

I could vote of Jon Huntsman.
    I could have voted for the old Mitt Romney--before he started kow towing to the religious right, I hope Sarah "Self-Goal" Palin gets the GOP nomination.
    She is good for the comedy shows and she would ensure President Obama four more years.

• Stano BRIGHAM CITY, UT
    May 30, 2011 8:27 p.m.

Let's listen to the debates in about 4 months. We won't make the same mistakes as in 2008. Let's have some intelligent debates this time. Go Mitt!

• Rikitikitavi Cardston, Alberta
    May 30, 2011 8:21 p.m.

We all know that right now the whole nomination process is very "early" with candidates coming in and others leaving. However by fall things will begin to take serious shape. As conservatives we must all be united against the hard left machine. Candidates like Newt must remember we should never "eat" our own..The Ryan fiasco will die but should never have happened. Let's keep it clean and may the best man/woman win. With the huge damage this President has done we still need a stronger candidate than in 2008. The left will fight dirty and they will fight to the death. We the people must prevail!

• Dadof5sons Montesano, WA
    May 30, 2011 7:40 p.m.

Well I will vote for any one who does not have the initials B.O.

• Moderate Salt Lake City, UT
    May 30, 2011 7:40 p.m.

Republicans played their hand too early. Now that they've revealed themselves as union busters and social manipulators, 2012 won't be their year. Wisconsin Republicans are facing recall elections. Perhaps Ohio too. How can Mitt Romney or any Republican candidate going to win in those states? Oh, yeah. The rigged electronic voting machines. Of course.

• Veracity Morgan, UT
    May 30, 2011 7:20 p.m.

liberal larry

A May 27, Gallup Poll among rank and file Republicans, has Romney at 17%, Palin at 15%, and none/no opinion. at 22%. Enthusiasm for Mitt is tepid, at best.

Please do tell Liberal Larry, who does have this overwhelming support you feel is necessary at this point in the game? Obama didn't have much support at this time a year and half before the election. So who is the man with all the support you so desire?

• liberal larry salt lake City, utah
    May 30, 2011 6:42 p.m.

• gogogoff Orem, UT
    May 30, 2011 6:37 p.m.

I am sick of Ron Paul, he would leave Israel high and dry.

MITT 2012

• Californian#1@94131 San Francisco, CA
    May 30, 2011 5:52 p.m.

When will the American people have a turn at winning an election?

• Dog Fur Prather, CA
    May 30, 2011 5:45 p.m.

I like Mitt. I hope he doesn't drop the ball.

• No One Of Consequence West Jordan, UT
    May 30, 2011 5:20 p.m.

How about a conservative candidate? One with a conservative record. As long as we vote for the best liars we can never hope to have honest government.

• Gentile brookings, SD
    May 30, 2011 5:15 p.m.

Mitt the glove has no chance to become the nominee, nor the president of this great land. But dreams die hard and for the next 12 months we will see more pie in the sky thinking. At least it keeps the newspapers in Utah and Idaho filled with articles. Makes journalists smile.

• Rae Salt Lake City, UT
    May 30, 2011 4:55 p.m.

Anyone but... Obama!

• Kouger Lehi, UT
    May 30, 2011 4:54 p.m.

I hope Romney wins the GOP nomination! He is the most qualified candidate for the job of President of the US.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    May 30, 2011 4:04 p.m.

For now he is but he's polling very poorly for a frontrunner. This time 2007 Clinton and Giuliani were leading with bigger percentages.

• dumprake Washington, UT
    May 30, 2011 3:34 p.m.

At least Romney will not have to fabricate a birth certificate to prove he is legally president.

• So. Cal Reader Escondido, CA
    May 30, 2011 3:26 p.m.

I love it! Let's go, Mit! I, too, am concerned with Romney's flip-flopping on issues; however, I also feel no candidate is perfect. I feel strongly that Mit Romney has the necessary skills to get this country & economy back in shape. Ron Paul has no chance of gaining the GOP nod. Either way, as much as I hate to admit it, Obama will be very difficult to beat.

• whoisjohngalt Holladay, UT
    May 30, 2011 3:10 p.m.

I'll pass on Romney-care and flip flopping. I'll take the canidate who defends the United States Constitution. I'm LDS and I support Ron Paul!