Sports

Vai's View: Jimmer and Jazz could net perfect match

Comments

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    May 31, 2011 11:25 p.m.

Wow, haven't got past the 1st page, and so many comments to comment about:

Independent - I'll admit to a similar experience for my first two years at the Y. But I solved it by moving into a much-less affluent ward on the south side of campus.

SanAntonioreader - In my day, they used to say a California Y student was somebody who spent 5 years complaining about BYU and the rest of their life trying to get back. I think most of us outsiders were the opposite though, like you described. Happy to have been there, happy to be away from there. Still, I had great colleges at home, but I went to the Y for the same reason - find a wife! Dated girls from about 30 different states and at least 3 different countries. Wider selection and better chance of finding someone who could tolerate me.

BillM75 and others - sorry, just don't see it the same way. Fun read, some specifics pointed at Jimmer that were non-descript and some tremendous insights into the LDS professional life. I bet Jimmer was not offended.

• toddfromsantaana Santa Ana, CA
    May 31, 2011 3:29 p.m.

As I have gone on the Jazz site and reportedly have said, it is about winning world titles, not drafting a one dimensional shooter who will not make a living making 25 and 30 footers vs NBA defenses. ALso 6 foot 2. The Jazz if they had another 1st round pick fine or 2nd round. This draft is critical to pick up some size and length and a point for the next 10 years. Knight would be the guy. Jan or Byombo at #12. Again like most in the state, they care about marketing, selling some jerseys and being fun and competitive. These things do not help produce the only thing that matters WORLD TITLES. Especially if you want to keep up with the Thunder and Grizzlies of the world

• Kakashi Tokyo, Japan
    May 30, 2011 5:46 p.m.

i dont think...draft position plays well on this draft...since...who knows...in 3-5 years...those unknown players drafted might turn out to be all-stars...and probably 1 of them could defy the odds and become a superstar...all these guys have its potential...its what they do with it and how the organization would develop them is the key...

• Kakashi Tokyo, Japan
    May 30, 2011 5:43 p.m.

@WhatsInItForMe

Actually if you're thinking in the next 3 years...some experts say that Brandon Knight would eventually be better than Kyrie Irving...so i think that says a lot...

• byronbca Salt Lake City, UT
    May 30, 2011 5:15 p.m.

If I'm coach Corbin I am praying the Jazz don't draft Jimmer. The last thing he needs is added pressure about playing somebody who likely wont be very good. The 12th pick in a relatively weak draft likely wont be much of a contributor in their first couple of seasons regardless of who it is.

The Jazz don't need a dog and pony show anyways. Winning brings in more money and success than cheap tricks.

The Jazz need to pick the best players available.

• WhatsInItForMe Orem, Utah
    May 30, 2011 9:57 a.m.

If what a player can become in 3 years is being considered by O'Connor as one of his draft criteria, Williams and Jimmer fit that bill quite nicely.

None of the others have that much going for them, including Enes K, Irving, or Knight.

I don't see anyone else outside of Jimmer and Williams as having that much UPSIDE.

• bgl Santa Monica, CA
    May 30, 2011 8:34 a.m.

I agree with IMHO--liked a lot of what this article had to say, but this young man deserves his privacy and the assumption that he is a guy of character and won't automatically turn in to an idiot simply because temptation is there. This smacked of "he might become like ONE OF THEM." If an athlete has been raised with an expectation of entitlement and being allowed to play by a different set of rules, he will probably succumb to the pressures of a star quality life. We don't know that Mr. Fredette was raised that way and we might have very good reason to believe that he wasn't. In either case, gossiping about what he might and might not do is sort of a waste of space. I like most of your articles, Vai. But this one was a clinker. And hey---who knows? Maybe he'll go out with his non Mormon NBA buddies and meet some nice people. It's been known to happen.

• Kakashi Tokyo, Japan
    May 30, 2011 5:39 a.m.

Its going to be Kanter and Jimmer...and probably a surprise draft day trade that would give us either a late and/oror a mid first round pick...grabbing Jeremy Tyler and Singleton...

• Bugoff Houston, TX
    May 29, 2011 10:29 p.m.

They are also working out Byombo in case he slips to 12. It will be interesting.

• Bugoff Houston, TX
    May 29, 2011 10:28 p.m.

I like Jimmer but I do not want the Jazz wasting resources moving up. Singlton, Marshon Brooks or maybe Klay Thompson are going to be okay players and would not be a waste at 12.

The Jazz may go Knight at 3 and Morris at 12. I am not thrilled but Markieff Morris claims to be a SF and they are looking at him.

The BC PG would also be good bu you could probably move down to get him.

• Kakashi Tokyo, Japan
    May 29, 2011 8:51 p.m.

@Bugoff

i agree with you with jimmer...people should see him as a basketball player...not because he played for BYU...the kid can flat out score...and he could dribble through double teams...and get out of triple teams...i think he is heavily underrated because most of the people think he is a slow white guy or he shoots a lot...or he turn the ball over a lot of times...all of them are fixable...he will have targets to pass to here...so i'd rather move up to 10...and draft him early...i really think Jimmer could be special for the Jazz...

• Bugoff Houston, TX
    May 29, 2011 7:44 p.m.

I am not to worried about Jimmer handling the temptation of NBA life. He grew up in a part member family in NY. He understands the mission field.

I hope the Jazz draft him purely because I think he will become a very good PG after the order of DWill. I do not think he is worth a 3 pick but he certainly would not hurt the Jazz at 12.

I thought of one important thing this weekend. According to the agility and speed tests, Kantor can play SF just as easily as Williams. Their tests are basically identical but Kantor is bigger. He could play 3 positions. Think of a heavy duty version of Luol Deng.

If Williams can play SF Kanter can play it. Kantor may be a better shooter from distance.

It does not matter if the Jazz take Williams or Kantor. IF they do not take Knight then they should take Jimmer. If they do take Knight the good bigs are gone at 12 so they might take Jimmer anyway.

If you have a chance to get a good big you have to move. They can get a PG next year if necessary.

• USAlover Salt Lake City, UT
    May 29, 2011 6:04 p.m.

If Vai can't understand how single LDS guys can play professional sports than maybe he should ask Steve Young how he did it.

• Daveman Pleasant Grove, UT
    May 29, 2011 5:25 p.m.

As a long-married LDS male and BYU Grad who has lived in over a dozen states, I have to back Vai on this. Utah contains a veritable smorgasboard of single young women looking to do things (marriage and family)the right way (I have four daughters of my own, which qualifies me to comment on this a bit). It is not always easy or simple, but your options are numerous here. Not nearly as much outside the state. The dynamics are there outside Utah, they just become more limited. Just a fact that revolves around absolute numbers. Besides, if he and his cute girlfriend are serious, they will inevitably let her parents know what is going to happen next anyway!

• RaininTime Orem, UT
    May 29, 2011 2:32 p.m.

Based on the responses to this article, I didn't read the same opinion piece some of you read. What I heard was Vai's opinion on being an LDS pro athlete and being married versus being an LDS pro Athlete and not being married. I also read that Vai opinion is that being a LDS pro athlete and married is in the athlete's best interest as he will have a wife to go home to, and not be tempted to "hang out" wherever. I read that Vai hoped Jimmer would get drafted by the Jazz so he would stay in Utah, marry his girlfriend so she could finish college at BYU--probably her lifelong dream.

What I didn't hear was advice for the Jazz. I didn't hear Vai wax on and on about the Jazz needs. I didn't hear Vai, who lives in Philly, slam LDS people outside of Utah or say the Saints in Utah are more righteous than those outside of Utah. I didn't read that Vai thought the Jazz should draft Jimmer so Jimmer could get married.

I read a well-thought opinion from one who has been there done that

• WhatsInItForMe Orem, Utah
    May 29, 2011 8:58 a.m.

Looks like the subject of Vai's blog is just as polarizing as Jimmer himself.

P.S., Cool Hand Luke, you spelled Ephraim incorrectly, if it's the Bible name you are using. Typo? Otherwise, I agree with your post. Good points!

• delasalle Sandy, UT
    May 29, 2011 12:42 a.m.

Umm, I would live it up if I were Jimmer. He's got it all on a plate before him. Enjoy it while it lasts. Most will never have the chance. I'm not necessarily saying go where all go and do what all do, but he has plenty of time to marry and settle down. See the world. Play the game. Travel around. And definitely avoid getting drafted by the Jazz. Blaze your own trail my friend.

• COOL HAND LUKE Old Ephriams Grave, UT
    May 28, 2011 8:40 p.m.

@ taxedtodeath yeah and his name is Jimmer The Jazz know exactly what their getting: lights out shooting, killer cross over, creates his own shot, goes to the cup and can score, on top of that 90% free throws. And has done this against many larger defender.He beat both K Walker, and B, Knight at the combine in 2 of 3 categories. One of the surprises, lane agility speed, better than both of them. v leap 33" 4" shy of B Knight. He shot 17 of 20 from NBA 3 land ...and .. Everything else will be a bonus. Mark my words. He wont be there at 12

• eastcoastcoug Danbury, CT
    May 28, 2011 7:19 p.m.

Vai,

I'm surprised you would want Jimmer to languish out in the obscure Mountain West. A young man of his basketball and missionary talents is sorely needed almost ANYWHERE else. You of all people should know this - your talents and abilities to relate to non LDS would have gone nowhere in SLC. Look at all the good you have done for the Church in Philly. I really wish the DNews writers and even the fans would wake up and realize that good people like Jimmer are needed out in the REAL MISSION FIELD.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    May 28, 2011 6:30 p.m.

Good lord there are alot of obtuse people on these boards. Vai in no way said the Jazz should draft Jimmer to help him marry. He said he hoped the Jazz would draft Jimmer so that he could be in a place where that might be accomplished more easily.

He wasn't giving the Jazz advice, he wasn't giving Jimmer advice, he was simply saying he thought it would be a good situation for Jimmer for those reasons.

For the life of me I cann't understand why it is so hard for people to actually comprehend the things other people say and write.

Quit being ridiculous.

• Theeng2 Holladay, UT
    May 28, 2011 5:36 p.m.

I'm convinced the Jazz will either get Kanter or Williams because there aren't any true elite point guards like a D-Rose or D-Will in this draft. I don't see Brandon Knight worth taking when you have the chance to get a big man. Jimmer would be great to roll the dice with the 12th pick. Part of me wants to see him play for the Knicks though.

• Willard Mesquite, NV
    May 28, 2011 4:21 p.m.

I agree with Uncle Rico. All Vai was trying to do was to explain things from his point of view. If someone has heartburn over that, then they get heartburn over small things. Vai is pretty live and let live, though he does have an opinion, and thats okay.

• Uncle Rico Sandy, UT
    May 28, 2011 10:14 a.m.

Wow, a lot of readers baggage sewn into their comments. I think all Vai was trying to do was give a perspective that 99.9% of us will never have based on being a top NBA pick, Mormonism and it's relevance specifically to Jimmer.

• MESOUTE Karchaj, A.V.
    May 28, 2011 9:52 a.m.

I usually love Vai's column but this one is extremely campy and as a Jazz fan the article does nothing to convince me that the Jazz would benefit from drafting Burdette, it only convinces me that Burdette might throw his life away by guaranteeing he gets married. I understand that this is a Mormon-based paper and that Vai always does a masterful job of incorporating Mormonism and sports, but this one I could have done without reading. I will look forward to the next edition of Vai's View.

• ArmyFamilyMan APO, AE
    May 28, 2011 9:07 a.m.

I graduated from Ricks and BYU without getting married and then promptly moved to the Midwest to begin professional school. I got married a month before I graduated and now have 2 great kids and a great marriage. I understand where Vai is coming from. However, my experience was that you can find the same temptations anywhere, be it in Provo or in a large city with a relatively small LDS population. The difference is that in Provo, temptations often came from other members of the church, which in some ways made it even more dangerous. Being in the minority seemed to give me more resolve to keep myself clean.

• taxed2death Sandy, UT
    May 28, 2011 9:00 a.m.

So Vai thinks that the Jazz should draft Jimmer at #12 so Jimmer can stay in Utah and either marry his girlfriend or find another "worthy" companion? Vai, every NBA fan outside the bubble is laughing out loud. If Jimmer can't handle the temptations of women throwing themselves at him, that's not the Jazz's problem. I don't think Jimmer will go crazy after he leaves BYU; however, based the lame comments on this lame opinion piece have convinced me that staying there too long would certainly drive anyone nuts. Everyone has to take off the training wheels and face the world at some point, the Jazz need to draft the best player available at 12, so they can help the team. Who knows, maybe there is an unknown like John Stockton waiting at 12.

• onyx1950 West Jordan, UT
    May 28, 2011 7:21 a.m.

Being a BYU grad and not marring until I left BYU. I agree with Val. In the singles ward you do have 80% of the women going nafter 20% of the guys. You hear all the time it is the guys fault they are not married. It is more the young womens fault because they are very picky and done give a lot of guys a chance. The young women need to open their eyes a realize their are a lot of worthy young men available that can taken them to the temple.

• Lauraloves2run SYRACUSE, UT
    May 28, 2011 7:19 a.m.

If it's true that Jimmer isn't marrying his girlfriend because her parents want her to graduate, I think that is more noteworthy than telling kids to rush into marriage. As a Californian, I have to say there are many eligible saints everywhere. D.C., CA, and Arizona, for instance, have huge populations of educated and eligible saints. The Wasatch Front is great, but sheesh...this article was silly to me. I think you need to put a little more faith in Jimmer's ability to make good choices.

• jimrochester ELKO, NV
    May 28, 2011 7:07 a.m.

Most here are making the assumption that Jimmer is looking for a wife or wants to get married. could be wrong assumption ,lots of guys are happy being single .

• Rikitikitavi Cardston, Alberta
    May 28, 2011 6:01 a.m.

If they love each other, then let them get married. What's wrong with transferring to any decent school in any NBA city to finish her degree. Could be the parents need a reality check as well. It's love that matters after all. Sure the degree is important but maybe it pales in comparison when hubby is an instant millionaire. I'd lay odds that Mom and Dad are scared of the daughter being married to the Jimmer.

• Veracity Morgan, UT
    May 27, 2011 11:28 p.m.

Where ever Jimmer goes, so goes my loyality.

• Jeff ls Farr West, 84404
    May 27, 2011 10:57 p.m.

I suspect that we will find out that Jimmer is a little better at defense than he is given credit for. The Jazz just plain need the shot. Let me ask a question. Can you name any pure shooters in the NBA today. Koby maybe Dallas Dirk. Who else has that pure shot? Give me names. Larry Bird was. A pure shooter is probably the most rare of all skills in the NBA. When you add the range of Jimmer to that ability to shoot, that is something to think about. Lets say the Jazz take Jimmer at 12. He has to learn team defense. Lets say the Jazz are getting beat by about 25 with 8 minutes in the game. Jimmer has been playing about 5 to 8 minutes a game. He comes in the game and pops a 25 footer. What happens? The crowd goes wild. He just changed the game and the other teams knows it. Spacing is now a huge issue. Offensive play for the Jazz just took a jump.
    Jeff

• Viva Los Jazz Garland, UT
    May 27, 2011 10:06 p.m.

If I were the Jazz I would look seriously at trading down for Jimmer instead of taking him at number 12. Why not trade the 3rd pick with the Charlotte Bobcats for the 8th and 18th picks and take Jimmer at #18 instead; he'll likely be there. NBA.com's David Aldridge has him slipping to #30 which is rediculous but I see him going 15 to 20 depending on workouts.
    In this senerio the Jazz get

#8 Bismack Biyombo, Jonas Valanciunas, Kawhi Leonard, Jan Vesley
    #12 Donatas Motiejunas, Marcus Morris, Alec Burks, Marcus Morris, Chris Singleton
    #18 Jimmer Fredette, Klay Thompson, Marshon Brooks

Or
    #3 Enes Kanter
    #15-20 Jimmer Fredette and future 1st round pick for 12th pick

• Wolfpack81 South Jordan, UT
    May 27, 2011 9:33 p.m.

First, some of you people out there are kinda scary! Moving on, I'm just guessing, but I imagine Vai understands well the considerations an NBA team will make in using a lottery pick, and recognizes that helping a prospect get married isn't high on its list, so I don't think that part of his message really is his message. I also think Vai has enough sense to know that Jimmer isn't interested in his advice on who and where to date and when to marry. So, ask yourselves what is his message and to whom is he trying to reach with it? Then, I'd apppreciate it if you let your message from Vai be yours, and mine be mine, especially you "scary" folk who like to tell others how to think.

• Wombat1247 Mount Beauty, VIC
    May 27, 2011 8:25 p.m.

forget about all the reglious & other things - The Jazz should draft the best player avaiable @ 12 - if it's Jimmer then so be it & good luck to him where ever he lands.

• Rikitikitavi Cardston, Alberta
    May 27, 2011 8:11 p.m.

San Antonio you seem to have missed the main point of Vai's article. Your situation was not that of a newly drafted pro star. Like myself, no one is going to pick you out of a crowd after a Spurs game. Jimmer the star is an entirely different situation. He will likely even have his own female following (groupie types). No sense getting ticked at Vai's viewpoint.

• christoph Brigham City, UT
    May 27, 2011 8:01 p.m.

The Jazz in the past have notoriously avoided BYU players----yes there were the exceptions---Fred Roberts for a half season or so; things can change I know and Jimmer would fill some seats--------yet I see The Jimmer going to Charlotte or New York.

• BillM75 Salt Lake City, UT
    May 27, 2011 6:44 p.m.

If things don't work out between Jimmer and his girlfriend, maybe he'll meet someone else outside of church, and maybe she'll convert?

And as previously mentioned being married is hardly a guarantee of faithfulness, and regardless of where Jimmer winds up he's going to be spending a lot of time out on the road.

I give Vai credit for always speaking his mind, and I understand the point he was trying to clumsily make, but he crossed a couple lines here. I doubt Jimmer or those close to him would be happy if they read this.

Jimmer is far too smart to ever say this, but I highly doubt he wants to play in this fishbowl. The Knicks are far closer to his family, right? And their style of play is far more suited to his skills, assuming Amare & Melo would ever pass him the ball.

• Honor Code Denver, Colorado
    May 27, 2011 6:23 p.m.

I hope Utah picks Jimmer!!! I can't wait to see Ty Lawson show Jimmer the tricks it takes to play in the NBA as he spins circles around Jimmer!!

• Anti Bush-Obama Washington, DC
    May 27, 2011 6:05 p.m.

Busines reasons is not a valid excuses to throw away the 12th pick in the draft to satisfy a clueless fanbase. Karl Malone was selected at 13 in a draft where they believed only Patrick Ewing would amount to anything. If the Jazz were drafting at 29 maybe they would take the risk but not at 12.

• President Joker Washington, DC
    May 27, 2011 6:02 p.m.

If KOC shared this guys view he would be on the unemployment line by next week.

• Uncle Lindy Wasilla, AK
    May 27, 2011 5:47 p.m.

Vai,
    Sorry, but I think you're a little Utah-centric. As someone who left Utah at age 17 and has been back a few times, I continue to be concerned about the LDS culture that exists there. Being in the "mission field" has made our family much stronger with values centered on the Gospel and not on the culture in Utah - we're now serving our second senior mission (the first in Samoa by the way). What is needed is for more members to leave Utah and have an effect on the world (as Jimmer would do playing in some other location) rather than cloistering together in a culture which is not always reflective of the values of the Church. Jimmer should have someone who will go with him to the ends of the earth, leave home and parents behind, and who will be a shining example for all.

• skiwampis Sierra Vista, AZ
    May 27, 2011 5:27 p.m.

I think Vai makes some good points. Nevertheless, the "one" is just that--one. The "one" could be anywhere, whether she is among thousands of fellow singles or part of literally a handful of eligible, worthy LDS singles. Perhaps Vai is alluding to the fact that being rich, famous, and single hurts Jimmer's prospects because the rich and famous are much more relevant than they should be once leaving college, and more specifically, the happy hunting ground.

• Oh, please! Saint George, UT
    May 27, 2011 5:20 p.m.

Vai has experiences in this realm that 99.9% of us do not.

However, I feel this article is inappropriate and out of line. This opinion should have/could have been delivered through a private channel, not in a public setting.

The insinuation that this young man and other "worthy" young LDS men most likely cannot find a "worthy" eternal companion outside of Utah is an affront to him, his girlfriend, their families, and young men and women of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

Maybe this blog should be put on hold until football season begins and there is something to write about.

• byuchick PROVO, UT
    May 27, 2011 5:15 p.m.

Though I agree with your concerns with Jimmer's future happiness, I gotta point out a few things. First of all, Jimmer grew up as the only Mormon kid at his high school. He knows a thing or two about not giving in to peer pressure. Second of all, yes, statistically you have better odds of finding an LDS spouse in Utah; however, if you don't live in Utah, it's not like you are socially doomed. Whatever happens will happen, and I think that the Lord will provide ways for you to meet good people wherever you go because he wants us to be happy. Sorry to say, but I think validating whether Jimmer should be drafted to the Jazz based on LDS singles statistics isn't a very valid argument. Though yes, I do want the Jazz to draft Jimmer so I can buy tickets and watch him play again!

• Texasreader WESLACO, TX
    May 27, 2011 4:57 p.m.

I seriously thought you were trying to be funny, how can you be serious about this?? Very poor journalism even for an opinion peace. You make it sound like all NBA players that aren't Mormon are sleazy. You also make it sound like marriage is a guaranteed way to prevent him from taking place in these activities. I really cant believe some people think this way. If you have to use marriage as a way to stay worthy I think you have serious problems and you should fix them before you get married. This whole article portrays the closed minded mentality that gives Mormons a bad name.

• coleman51 Orem, UT
    May 27, 2011 4:54 p.m.

What does this article have to do about Jimmer getting picked by the Jazz? It seems a little silly to think he should be picked by the Jazz just because he is single and wants to stay close to his girlfriend. Jimmer is an adult and can remain worthy regardless where he goes to play. I think Vai needs to let the Jazz brass decide who is best for their team and let such drivel as this article displays be laid to rest.

• JazzFanMontana Hamilton, MT
    May 27, 2011 4:22 p.m.

sanantonioreader: Via was speaking specifically from an athletes point of view. Sure he did mention singles who are in other professions, but his point of view comes as an athlete.

Have you ever been in a situation where you got off an airplane or left the locker room of your game only to be greeted by clads of gorgeous and forward women ready to sleep with you? Have you ever been completely surrounded by teammates and friends constantly inviting you to go party or hang out at the strip clubs with them? My bet is no!

Add the fact that these athletes no longer have the constant guidance of their parents, more money than they know what to do with and not as many single adult LDS members or friends around them, and you can start to see how one could be more prone to temptation. Plus, with fewer single LDS ladies to choose from, finding a worthy LDS spouse becomes much more difficult. It's a numbers game. He never said it was impossible, he just stated its much more challenging and being in UT especially until he begins a family would be better for him.

• Large Tuna Salt Lake City, UT
    May 27, 2011 3:41 p.m.

I don't think the Jazz should draft him because it would help with his love life. Not their problem.

• Pagan Salt Lake City, UT
    May 27, 2011 3:21 p.m.

BYU must feel real foolish right now.

• USAlover Salt Lake City, UT
    May 27, 2011 3:07 p.m.

For Jimmer's sake, I hope he is not drafted by the Jazz. The Ute fans would be merciless. It would be a no-win situation for him. I hope he goes to Phoenix or Indiana were he'll get a far shot with the fans and where he'll get to jack it up with freedom. The Jazz's steady, conservative set plays do not bode well for a guy like Jimmer.

I love Vai, but he's wrong on this one.

• Jazz Source Alpine, UT
    May 27, 2011 2:49 p.m.

The Jazz should pick Jimmer....if he is still there in the second round.

I love Jimmer and I love his shooting ability but his height, horrible vertical leap (see nba combine test results), and general lack of athleticism will limit his role in the nba to that of niche scorer. You should not be wasting a # 12 pick on a niche player.

I think he will have a good career but I don't believe he is a starter on a quality team. The Jazz should be trying to draft a potential starter at 12 and Jimmer is too short at shooting guard and is likely not athletic/fast enough to be a starting PG in the NBA.

Best of luck though Jimmer.

• defibman Syracuse, UT
    May 27, 2011 2:41 p.m.

I agree with you Vai. The older I get the more wisdom I see in this point of view. Too many lives are lost and/or wasted before a mate is found. I know way, way too many. With a talent like Jimmer, the sky is the limit with what he could do with a good woman by his side.

• Sally Smiles-a-Lot Vernal, UT
    May 27, 2011 2:30 p.m.

Vai, among the many things I enjoy about your blogs is the open honesty you display in the things you write about. Most people might THINK these things, especially about spiritual matters, but few people are brave enough to say them out loud, let alone in a published article. Thanks for that! I agree with the concerns you have expressed. A number of years ago my kids were friends with a young man they had taught the gospel to, and one of my sons baptized him. This took place in high school, in another state. He was a very smart young man, and applied to several top colleges, including M.I.T., and also BYU. He never knew, but I always prayed he would be accepted by BYU, and not MIT. That is what happened, and while there he decided to go on a mission. He'd met a young lady who wrote to him during his mission, and they married in the temple when he returned. That might have happened if he'd gone elsewhere, but the likelihood would have been less.

Thanks for your courage and honesty, Vai. Keep writing.

• MidMajor4ever Syracuse, UT
    May 27, 2011 2:26 p.m.

As a long time Jazz season ticket holder I hope that Jimmer doesn't end up in a Utah uniform. Jimmer is a terrific guy and is a great shooter but he doesn't address the Jazz needs.

Utah was beaten badly over and over this past year due to the lack of defense being played. Unfortunately, Jimmer's strength isn't defense so he would only add to the problem.

Phoenix, Boston and Indiana would all be nice fits for Jimmer.

Alec Burks or Klay Thompson should be around for our 12th pick. Each are 6'6" and would be solid at the two-guard position. Enes Kanter or Brandon Knight will be a good choice with the 3rd pick.

I wish Jimmer the best, he's been terrific for the Y and for our state.

• BlueSaint South Jordan, UT
    May 27, 2011 2:03 p.m.

I hope Phoenix takes Jimmer....He could use a tan!

• supainthehills Cottonwood Heights, UT
    May 27, 2011 2:02 p.m.

Vai -

Mahalo for the good spirit in your words. I love your posts and look forward to them at the end of every week. I have a good friend in my ward that also reads your blog. We often talk about the insights you've given us through the things you've shared and how those thoughts improve us and help us to be better men. Thank you for adding light!

There's truth in what you're saying...at least in the U.S. When I was 23 I moved back east for a great job opportunity. Even though I loved the singles wards in Manhattan and DC, there's no question that my opportunities to find someone to marry were better in areas with more LDS girls. I eventually found my wife in Utah. However, I know that in the mission field (I served in Europe) that the members often only have a few choices of who they can potentially marry if they want to marry in the Church. Every single one of them has found someone in the Church to marry...there's still hope for Jimmer even if the Jazz don't draft him. :)

• rlsintx Plano, TX
    May 27, 2011 1:49 p.m.

There are plenty of great, single LDS gals outside UT. Add to that his eastern roots anyway and maybe he's set no matter where he lives.

I'm betting celtics take him anyway. They've been too conspicuously quiet about it.

• Cats Somewhere in Time, UT
    May 27, 2011 1:48 p.m.

This is an excellent article. My husband and I have often discussed that fact that we hope Jimmer gets married before he leaves. Having dated a former pro athlete, I know that the situation can get pretty bad out there. Women throw themselves at the guys as they come out of the locker room. One of my girlsfriends is married to a guy who played pro sports. They were both from Utah County and he played at BYU. When they got in the pros they went into shock. They said there was really only one other guy on the team that they felt they could even associate with socially at all.

BYU is a special place where those kinds of temptations are much less than out there in the cold world. I hope Jimmer and his girlfriend can put it together and soon.

• Timp South Jordan, UT
    May 27, 2011 1:25 p.m.

Understand the audience this piece is targeted to and all, but still think it's a weird angle to take...

• AZ Dave Chandler, AZ
    May 27, 2011 12:59 p.m.

OH MY Kind of "jumped the shark" on this one Vai. Slow day

• BillM75 Salt Lake City, UT
    May 27, 2011 12:52 p.m.

Vai, I'm sure you're eagerly awaiting Jimmer's op-ed on the state of YOUR marriage. It's stuff like this that if anything will make Jimmer want to leave the Utah fishbowl, and remember, he grew up in upstate New York, not Utah.

Seriously, you don't think his parents and bishop haven't told him all this many times? And of course, there could NEVER be any gold-diggers in Utah's singles wards. I'm sure Jimmer would be treated just like a regular guy there.

Most of the athletes you listed met their wives outside of Utah. Steve Young didn't marry until he was almost 40 and his career nearly over. Sure, most BYU athletes marry in college. Most aren't high-profile superstars either.

Poorly executed article in general, and uncalled for specifically for meddling in someone else's private life.

• SanAntonioreader San Antonio, TX
    May 27, 2011 12:50 p.m.

Wow! At first I thought you were joking. Do you have any idea how ridiculous this article sounds to the millions of Latter-day Saints living outside of Utah? Believe it or not, it is possible to live righteously, find eternal partners, and have a great life outside the State. The suggestion that a member of the Church is more likely to be moral, happy, and successful if he/she resides along the Wasatch Front is kind of silly to those of us who prefer to live where there is more diversity. Take it from someone who left Utah after graduating from BYU and never looked back. I have no regrets or bitterness about my time in Utah, but I'm now enjoying living and raising a family elsewhere.

• Triple B Milford, NH
    May 27, 2011 12:50 p.m.

Vai makes some good points but I would like to say that if he is not ready or hasn't found the right person than it would be better for him to stay single. The last thing he needs is to force the issue and make a big time mistake. Oh and Vai...GO CELTICS!

• JeffE Grantsville, UT
    May 27, 2011 12:41 p.m.

@ IMHO "General advice in an article, great. Advice to a specific person? It is inappropriate and dare I say, cowardly, to gossip about another's life, much less in print. If you really care, man up and make a call, Vai."
    ----------------
    I respectfully disagree. I don't think this is inappropriate at all. Via wasn't gossiping, he was taking an interesting LDS view on well publicized situation. I didn't read once where he said "Jimmer, you need to...". He was speaking in general terms about an individual's situation to offer a perspective that can be applicable to others. Hopefully many single college guys will read this and gain an appreciation for their current situation and not squander the opportunities they have.

I know I was blessed by being married when I moved to Texas with my first job after completing my degree.

• DD JayMario American Fork, UT
    May 27, 2011 12:34 p.m.

In my humble opinion, that was not a humble opinion, In My Humble Opinion. Vai is pure gold.

• Independent Henderson, NV
    May 27, 2011 12:17 p.m.

Oops. I meant to say that it is easier to not be in a student ward where 80% are going after the same 20%, and people care more about money and appearances than the substance of your character. You know what I mean.

• Bill Shakespeare Salt Lake City, UT
    May 27, 2011 12:07 p.m.

Terrific piece.

• In My Humble Opinion South Jordan, UT
    May 27, 2011 11:40 a.m.

Love lots of your columns. This one is out of line.

• Independent Henderson, NV
    May 27, 2011 11:36 a.m.

I found it much harder to date and find a spouse at Ricks College and big student wards than by other means. Many of us found it much easier to be a YSA outside of that whole scene, where money and appearances don't matter so much as the substance of your character, and where 80% of the ward is going after 20% of the ward, and the rest may as well not exist. Jimmer's a jock though, so he should be fine.

• Uncle Rico Sandy, UT
    May 27, 2011 11:35 a.m.

While some of us want the Jimmer in Utah for selfish reasons, Vai is looking at his long term happiness. Classic Vai.

• seer kaysville, ut
    May 27, 2011 11:25 a.m.

Thanks Vai for speaking so truthfully about what lies ahead for Jimmer. In this world of political correctness, I for one appreciate the "plain speak" you have laid out.

As I read your article, I was taken back to the college world I attended in the early 80s and the temptations that were "ever" present (and I was just a regular kid). I can't imagine what these athletes must go through as they try to defend themselves both on and off the playing surface.

I too will selfishly hope that Jimmer is selected by the Jazz so that I can take my sons to watch him play. I can think of no finer role model than Mr. Fredette and would be proud to personally shake his hand and tell him that. For all the years of joy he has brought to my boys and I as we have watched him play, I at least owe him that.

• True Blue in SLC FARMINGTON, UT
    May 27, 2011 11:23 a.m.

Thanks for the great insight! It's refreshing to get a true LDS take on the professional sports world.

• DEW Cougars Sandy, UT
    May 27, 2011 11:21 a.m.

@Errand of Angels

add #3

Remember Dominique Wilkins refused to come to Jazz and Boozer loosers.

Jimmer will definitely come and stay.

• karenella Provo, UT
    May 27, 2011 11:15 a.m.

Amen, Mel. I laughed out loud at this, but I couldn't agree more. Frankly, I don't care where he plays (not tied to the Jazz all that much), but I really REALLY hope he doesn't get caught up in the whirlwind of stardom and end up a bachelor. Here's hoping they can figure out how to make it work not matter what...

• Mel Gardner Provo, UT
    May 27, 2011 11:07 a.m.

Vai sounds just like a YSA Ward Bishop. Don't get me wrong, I think Jimmer needs to hear this and I completely agree, but I sure didn't expect someone to say in print. Way to go.

• Poppa Al Fruit Heights, UT
    May 27, 2011 11:03 a.m.

That was great Vai! I loved it!

• Kyle loves BYU/Jazz Provo, UT
    May 27, 2011 11:02 a.m.

From what I've heard he wants to marry his girlfriend but her parents don't want her to leave BYU without her degree. Seems a little crazy to me, but obviously I'm not involved in the decision. Everyone I know who knows them expects them to get married and they have shopped for rings before. It's kind of creepy that I know all this but hey it's Provo.

Thanks for another good article Vai.

• IndianaCoug Bloomington, IN
    May 27, 2011 11:01 a.m.

Vai, interesting take on the draft. You're probably the only analyst in America who is concerned about Jimmer's singleness. When I first started the article I thought you were joking but you bring up some good points. This issue has been a hot topic in our home as we wonder if we should encourage our kids to head out west for college so they will have more dating opportunities. While I don't exactly agree with you about the importance of being in Utah for dating purposes, you do make some good points. Keep those blog posts coming and go Cougs!

• Foxtrot Mountain View, CA
    May 27, 2011 10:59 a.m.

You know when I first thought of this as an option for the Jazz, I hated it, but the more I think about it, I kinda think the Jazz MUST draft him. A few athletic reasons and lots of business ones.

1) Athletic - he might be good....might. Imagine the "type one" error if the Jazz didn't draft him and he was the next Larry Bird. The Jazz have always needed a shooter, and Jimmer can definitely do that.

2) Business - he will sell tickets for the Jazz for at least a few seasons. This won't only happen at home, but also aways. Mormons will likely want to see him at away games that are close to their homes.
    Jimmer if he gets good will likely stay with the Jazz, which gives them a competitive advantage in resigning him. If the Jazz don't draft him, the organization will further alienate more of their fan base. Jimmer is "popular", heck he is Sportscenter boy, and you should build off of that. Right now, Jimmer is the #1 sports fixture in the state of Utah, build off of it. It will be easier than selling anything else.