Utah

Lobbyist: Jon Huntsman Jr. should choose tea party running mate

Comments

• Democrat Provo, UT
    May 27, 2011 8:39 p.m.

Askar writes a lot of stories about other reporters' stories he has read on Politico or RCP. I am OK with regurgitation and analysis once in a while, especially if the original piece is by a real opinion maker.

But this is a story by a McCain backer who is basically trying to get Huntsman (a McCain protege) to do the same thing that McCain did last time (pick a far right, female candidate).

Huntsman won't do it.

Huntsman is a solid moderate candidate but won't be a top tier candidate unless Romney or Pawlenty falters. Huntsman does help Romney in one way though...he completes the Mormon innoculation begun in 2008.

• gizmo33 St. George, Utah
    May 27, 2011 6:30 p.m.

yeah right like Huntsman stands a chance of getting in the oval office against Obama

• danaslc Kearns, UT
    May 27, 2011 5:56 p.m.

I don't think the Tea Party would want anything to do with this liberal globalist that hides behind the GOP apron strings.

• Wildcat O-town, UT
    May 27, 2011 5:55 p.m.

I agree with Patriot. I really think Huntsman would have had a better shot at winning a Democratic nomination than the GOP nomination. If Obama gets a second term, and with the current field out there, it looks more likely, Huntsman could have tried to run on the Democratic side in 2016. Being a GOP governor would have hurt his chances, but the Democratic Party doesn't have a purity test and he would have had more consideration and not been excluded in the South because of his religion.

Now, he is trying to kiss the ring of the establishment to get in. I really could have considered voting for him if he was his own man--much like I could have for McCain if he would have ran on his own merits and ideas, but when they have to transform into a red meat conservative and push the corporate agenda, it is impossible to consider them. When Huntsman endorsed the Medicare/Social Security gutting budget, he lost my vote.

They should play the song, "Send in the Clowns" before all GOP debates now. Good luck to my GOP friends. I wonder what candidate will emerge from the mess.

• Eliot Santaquin, UT
    May 27, 2011 4:30 p.m.

Moderation in all things? Like what?

Smoking?
    Drinking beer?
    Cheating on your wife?
    Sunday meetings?
    Tithing?
    Credit card debt?

Yeah, I would say moderation went down the tubes a long time ago.

• Eliot Santaquin, UT
    May 27, 2011 3:52 p.m.

How did all those Utah Democrats and liberal teacher unions get into the Republican state convention in 2004 and 2008 when Huntsman won the majority of delegates? These delegates, mind you, are the ones everyone says are so ultraconservative that it makes the process impossible for moderates.

• freedomfighter American Fork, UT
    May 27, 2011 3:47 p.m.

I'll vote for him as long as he DOESN'T pick a tea party vp.

BTW, I love the lds folk commenting agaisnt moderates on this. I guess "moderation in all things" just went down the tube.

• Rufio Saratoga, UT
    May 27, 2011 2:42 p.m.

A big stretch as Huntsman has no chance at being the nominee and therefore will not have any part of selecting a VP of any sort. If it were not for Utah Democrats and liberal teacher unions he would never been elected in Utah.

• greenman108 Petaluma, CA
    May 27, 2011 2:13 p.m.

Greenman108--your statement that delegates aren't elected is not true. My husband has been a delegate and he was elected, by a voting process, by people in our precinct who bothered to take the time to show up to the precinct meetings. If you don't like your precincts delegate, then get to the meetings and bring your friends and neighbors in your precinct to come vote for you. Simple as that. If you're not willing to get involved, don't complain about the process.
    ---
    Katy, I was not complaining. To be clear, most delegates are indeed elected. The process varies from state to state. And, some are not elected. Highly placed politicians get to be delegates and are not elected. Some are appointed and some get to go by party rule, like US Senators. To make my point in a clearer way: I dont think picking one's running mate before its known who will really win would appeal to some of the highly placed delegates. I think that is something that would be more attractive to the general public. Happy day to you and to all.

• So. Cal Reader Escondido, CA
    May 27, 2011 2:03 p.m.

"He's a proven conservative with a reassuring, moderate tone and a model family." Perhaps from a society point of view, but certainly not from a church point of view. Sorry, but I'd like someone who is LDS, served a mission, has direct family members that go back to serving in the Quorum of the Twelve to be a bit more convincing & upfront about his church membership. For him to say "I am Mormon" on GBA, it sure took a while and after so much undercurrent from his previous vague references. SHOULD he be the GOP nominee, which will be a long-shot, this guy will not get my vote, and his running mate won't have any impact on my views.

• DeltaFoxtrot West Valley, UT
    May 27, 2011 1:42 p.m.

That's right Huntsman... go ahead and grab a Tea Partier. Get Palin on board, she's the Queen of the Party. Let her destroy your campaign just like she did McCain's.

• Kateybug Riverton, UT
    May 27, 2011 12:15 p.m.

• AaronM OREM, UT
    May 27, 2011 12:02 p.m.

Jon Huntsman is conservative like the Pope is Mormon!

I am LDS--and I will not vote for Huntsman or Romney, because neither one is a conservative! They are moderate's at best, but lean much more to the left than the right!

So far, the only candidate that I am interested in is Herman Cain! I am not impressed with anyone else at all!

• greenman108 Petaluma, CA
    May 27, 2011 11:49 a.m.

1. I thought yesterday that if Romney gets the nomination, Bachmann would make a perfect VP candidate for him.
    2. I figure Bachmann has a better chance than Huntsman does to actually win some delegates to the convention, so his 'offering' her 2nd spot at this point is both presumptuous and maybe offensive.

We need to remember that the process that Huntsman and Bachmann and Romney are about to engage is to influence delegates who will attend the Republican convention. I feel like some candidates forget that. 100's of delegates are not even "elected". They are the high and mighty of the party who will vote for the person who serves their interests best.

• We the People Sandy, UT
    May 27, 2011 11:48 a.m.

"He is a proven conservative..."

Say what?

• Independent Henderson, NV
    May 27, 2011 11:23 a.m.

"She is more thoughtful than she gets credit for."

That's just it. She doesn't get credit for being thoughtful. It's all about perception. Picking her as a running mate is just shooting yourself in the foot. It doesn't matter who she really is. The media has already decided she is Palin.2, and there is nothing anyone can do about it.

• Hans in California Valencia, CA
    May 27, 2011 11:16 a.m.

I believe that Bill Maher noted that Bachmann is the candidate for those who find Sarah Palin to be "too intellectual."

• DN Subscriber Cottonwood Heights, UT
    May 27, 2011 11:09 a.m.

So Huntsman needs a hard right Tea Party person to try to balance out his hard left RINO views.

I would not vote for Huntsman for any office ever again. He did enough damage here in Utah. Have people forgotten his endorsement of the bogus "cap and trade" foolishness to "fix" the global warming hoax.

Huntsman can do many good things, but being President is not one of them.

• Kami Bountiful, Utah
    May 27, 2011 11:00 a.m.

I wonder if some of these candidates feel guilty AT ALL at all the campaign dollars they spend when they know there is no real chance they could win the election. Think of all the ways that money could be put to better use.

• Skippy West Jordan, UT
    May 27, 2011 11:00 a.m.

Huntsman continues to say what people want him to say depending on what group he is addressing. Reminds me of Obamas style.

• TRUTH Salt Lake City, UT
    May 27, 2011 10:39 a.m.

Why would Bachman want to align with a RINO who supports global warming initiatives? Huntsman had better hope he can jump on as a VP with Gingrich!

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    May 27, 2011 10:38 a.m.

this is ridiculous. First Jon Huntsman Jr is not a conservative and could not co-exist with a tea party conservative. You can't fake core political values. Huntsman would really be better off in the Democratic party and should probably change parties instead of trying to pretend to be part of the new GOP.

• Pagan Salt Lake City, UT
    May 27, 2011 10:30 a.m.

'Lobbyist: Jon Huntsman Jr. should choose tea party running mate' - Title

Why?

I don't believe Huntsman has a realistic chance of WINNING in 2012.

While I have always said Huntsman is the best GOP canidate today, Obama's record is secure.

Unemployment is going down, Lybia is offering peace with zero American troops involved, 50,000+ troops pulled out of Iraq, and Osama Bin Laden is dead.

Obama 2012

Easy.

In 2016, if Huntsman dosen't fall to the extreme right along with the rest of the Tea/Republican Party, heck EYE still might vote for him?

But to get a Tea Party canidate? When just a little over a year till the 2012 elections?

Who would that be?

Sarah Palin?

They would only loose with Palin or another extremist Tea Party canidate.

Just like 2008.