Sports

Utah Utes basketball initial Pac-12 roster now complete

Comments

• Y4LYFE Lubbock, TX
    May 23, 2011 11:51 p.m.

An 8th player is leaving utah. In response to lame ute comments on the trib I shared this gem:
    Utah can recruit with the "we dont have the honor code" approach but BYU cant take the "we do have it" approach? Dude that limits BYU wouldnt you think? And BYU still comes into your hill and drops 100+ and beats you 9 of 10 times! Drop the defense mode, for utah has none, so neither should U

Thought more intelligent readers would like it here at D-news

• Real Bass Idaho Falls, ID
    May 21, 2011 10:55 p.m.

"missionary kids". Huh, this guy hasn't got a clue! This roster is a disaster.

• kitsutsuki South Jordan, Utah
    May 21, 2011 4:21 p.m.

Stop living in the past Utes. Historical results are no indicator of future successes - unless you are a national power with the name and wherewithal to attract top recruits - which definitely does not describe Utah. Besides, anyone under the age of 45 doesn't even recognize the names of the coaches you just threw out! Give me a break.

Let's see how your teams does and then see who has the last laugh!

• utahcountyute Cedar Hills, UT
    May 21, 2011 1:26 p.m.

kitsuwatsi

"The Utes have had a national prominence with one coach - and one coach only"

Look up coaches Peterson, Gardner and Pimm and then place foot in mouth.

The Utes are the 12th ranked team all time in wins even after the last 2 years.

The Ute's basketball program will always have high expectations and it will be back on top dominating the league and over the in state schools once again. It might not be next year but I have a feeling that coach K will have these kids over performing much like the big guy with the sweater did real soon.

Go Utes!

• kitsutsuki South Jordan, Utah
    May 21, 2011 10:12 a.m.

Anybody really believe the recruits he just landed, most of whom were not highly recruited by other schools (thus they were available now - well after the season ended) are going to get him to the promised land???

He has filled up his roster with, at best, adequate players - and even though the PAC 12 is much weaker than the old MWC, do you really think the Utes are going to be competitive?

The Utes have had a national prominence with one coach - and one coach only. Utah fan's dreams of getting back to when Majerus took you are gong to lead to nothing but frustration and disappointment.

• Tommy2Shoes Lehi, UT
    May 21, 2011 12:54 a.m.

Glad he got the bodies into the Ute program. Give the new coach a few years to recruit the kinds of players needed to win consistently in the new PAC12. Be prepared to take your lumps the next few years. But you will eventually scale the mountain again. Can't wait to see a revitalized Utah give my Cougars a run for the best in the state of Utah. I love to see competitive games like USU vrs BYU lately.

• MurrayMike Murray, UT
    May 20, 2011 6:37 p.m.

@ KEN

Hey buddie! You really think a no.3 finish in a couple of years is really in the works? Come on, losing seasons, losing recruits, last seven years 123-100 translates into a no.3 finish? LMHO - You're going to a stronger conference top to bottom and you don't have a single decent recruit. I'm thinking about a 7 -15 finish in the conf this year and maybe, just maybe a 9 - 13 finish the next year, lol top 3 finish, you've been drinking blue kool-aid from your big brother down South. The ONLY way Utes have a shot at .500 season next year year is scheduling, Wooford St, Denver College and St. Mary's Womens team, ute fans are in for a big surprise next year.....be careful what you wish for.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    May 20, 2011 6:03 p.m.

In truth I think Kryskowiak has done exactly the right thing with these guys. If they aren't committed then send them on their way because they won't be worth a thing. It remains to be seen whether or not he'll be successful but considering there was no success from these guys the last few years it is pretty safe to say they are no great loss and he was smart not to mess around and leave it hanging there. Move on and get started on the future. It was the samrt thing for him to do.

• Osgrath Provo, UT
    May 20, 2011 4:20 p.m.

At least Coach K is displaying good leadership qualities. As someone else mentioned, the coach is supposed to run the team, not the players. If their hearts and minds aren't there, their level of talent won't matter much because they will not compete as a team. I would rather have a solid and cohesive team of middle-of-the-road talent than a fragmented bunch of all-stars.

• davidutefan Evanston, WY
    May 20, 2011 3:01 p.m.

Re:bookonwomen: After watching them last year, I thought they werealready playing at a lower level

• bookonwomen Beverly Hills, CA
    May 20, 2011 12:54 p.m.

Re MiP

Chris Kupets, Antonio DiMaria Preston Guiot and one other player opted to leave because they felt they were better suited to play at a lower athletic level.

• MiP Iowa City, IA
    May 20, 2011 7:51 a.m.

A word on coach:
    I think the coach has been very decisive so far with a clear focus and direction for this team. But it seems he might have run off a few of the guys by his decision making. Namely, Chris Kupets and JJ O'Brien. It remains to be seen if not allowing these guys more time to think about their options will justify bringing in some unproven JC talent to fill their roles. I dunno, I'm having trouble seeing the urgency.

A word on the team:
    Time for the core to step it up. Watkins, Foster and Washburn have to be the leaders of this team.

Go Utes!

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    May 20, 2011 7:23 a.m.

I am impressed with how quickly he filled his roster, but to say they are back or that they will even have a winning season is really jumping the gun. I do not want to see them get embarrassed in the PAC but I also can't get too excited about a team loaded with transfers and leftovers. The coach did bring in a couple of legitimate division 1 players but there are a lot of question marks on this roster. I will gladly eat my words if they finish above .500 or finish in he top half of the PAC this year.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    May 20, 2011 5:13 a.m.

Sounds like it is all better.

• hoghead sandy, UT
    May 19, 2011 11:40 p.m.

Looked it up, over/under in vegas for guys transferring before the pac 12 season begins is 4.7. Move the decimal point and that's how many points Jimmer put up on the utes this last year.

• utahcountyute Cedar Hills, UT
    May 19, 2011 10:49 p.m.

Love this guy! Please don't let the kids run this program again.

Definitely headed in the right direction. I guess that is not hard after last year though.

Keep it up coach and....

Go Utes

• Skippy West Jordan, UT
    May 19, 2011 10:31 p.m.

It seems like Larry is doing great so far with his recruiting. As for the players that couldn't decide if they wanted to stay or go, I am glad Larry made the decison for them. He showed that he was the boss and the players are players. Everything will fall into place now and the UTES will be back.
    Thanks for coming to UTAH coach!

Message to Larry's brother...Some UTE fans are thrilled to have your brother as the new Coach. I am one of those fans! I think your Larry will not let you or the UTAH fans down.

• Smack Jefferson City, MO
    May 19, 2011 6:15 p.m.

So far, so good.

I definitely like the way our Coach K has done things to this point.

• JayDee West Jordan, UT
    May 19, 2011 6:03 p.m.

This program is back...to having at least five players suit up.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    May 19, 2011 5:26 p.m.

This program is back.

• Wayne Rout El Paso, TX
    May 19, 2011 4:54 p.m.

Hey,somethings better than nothing.

• phoenix Gilbert, AZ
    May 19, 2011 3:26 p.m.

Ken

"Within a couple years these guys will be competing nationally. A top 3 finish in the PAC 12 is a realistic goal for this team."

For a team that only has four returning players who have actually played at Utah, that's a pretty bold prediction.

These players haven't even played a single scrimmage together. It's nice to dream, but what do you base your prediction on, other than wishful thinking?

• pocyUte Pocatello, ID
    May 19, 2011 3:20 p.m.

It's actually George Matthews, not George Mitchell.

I think coach K is going about the overhaul in the right way. Put me in the cautiously optimistic category.

• Qwest Perfected Salt Lake City, UT
    May 19, 2011 3:20 p.m.

I like what coach K as said and the decisions he has made so far.

I wish Obrien would have decided to stay but I agree with the coaching staff that they couldn't hold his position for that long.

I hope that all of this translates into more wins next season - I'm sure there will be some growing pains with so many new people but I do have more confidence in this coaching staff's ability to coach up players.

Regardless of how good they are this year, I'm excited to see them compete in the PAC 12!

Go Utes!

• Dutchman Murray, UT
    May 19, 2011 3:16 p.m.

Great hire! It is going to pay off. Here's hoping the U can get that new basketball training facility on the fast track.

• bigsoccer Syracuse, UT
    May 19, 2011 3:02 p.m.

Its at 13 for right now, will see who all leaves mid way through the season.

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    May 19, 2011 3:01 p.m.

Good job coach! I like the fact that Coach K was willing to replace kids who weren't completely committed to the school, the city and the program. I think that may have been part of the problem this past season. We had talent, but they weren't committed. They were here only because Coach Boylen begged them to stay. We won't be in the top half of the PAC-12 for a few years, but if we can stay around .500 next season and improve from there I think the future looks bright.

• gonefishn Salt Lake City, UT
    May 19, 2011 2:57 p.m.

I am very impressed with Krisko so far. He hustles while at the same time has shown a lot patience in dealing with some of these young men. It is now time to concentrate on building the program back up to where we all want it to be with those who want to be here.

• Ken Sandy, UT
    May 19, 2011 2:53 p.m.

Within a couple years these guys will be competing nationally. A top 3 finish in the PAC 12 is a realistic goal for this team. This coach K is very similar to the other coach K in ability to improve talent and recruit talent.

• ouisc Farmington, UT
    May 19, 2011 2:50 p.m.

There is no question Coach Boylen overpromised and underdelivered to the players he recruited to Utah. Glad to see the Utes are moving forward with those who are committed to turning things around! I'm real excited, especially for the big guys, who are about to get some great big guy coaching. Keep moving forward Coach Krystko!!

• Penguin Inc. Salt Lake City, Utah
    May 19, 2011 2:42 p.m.

Larry has a the look of a champion! I think he's terrific!