Opinion

Readers' forum: Huntsman and Jefferson

Comments

• christoph Brigham City, UT
    May 19, 2011 4:26 p.m.

Every member a missionary. If Jefferson really believed, he should have had the charity to share those beliefs, not keep them to himself. Huntsman, I do believe sincerely, is a missionary.

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    May 19, 2011 3:31 p.m.

What would be ideal?....

Obama dumping Joe Biden, and picking Huntsman for his new VP.

Talk about winning ticket!!

• SSMD Silver Spring, MD
    May 19, 2011 10:38 a.m.

It boils down to this: if a Mormon is elected president, his practice of his religion will be scrutinzed to the nth degree. I hope that that president will be exemplary as a church member, and that his performance as president would be honest and above reproach. Anything less would be damaging to the missionary effort. That president should let his light shine that the public will see his good works and understand the source of his integrity. That's why the stakes are so high if Hunstman or Romney win the election.

• Irony Guy Bountiful, Utah
    May 19, 2011 10:21 a.m.

Mr. Jefferson's private behavior with his slaves, now that it is public, has become something of an embarrassment to his "religion."

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    May 19, 2011 10:01 a.m.

Blue | 9:41 a.m. May 19, 2011
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Huntsman's comment simply demonstrates that he understands the no-win nature of such questions and he wisely chose to not enter that trap.

============

Exactly.

My2CentsExactly | 9:22 a.m. here's a Bill Clinton type answer.

The rest of us heard a Jesus type answer, like when he was also questioned about his being a Jew.

Don't mind them.
    For all the nay-sayers -- If Hunstman wins the GOP nomination - they're all gonna choke on their own vomit, and vote for him anyway.

• Blue Salt Lake City, UT
    May 19, 2011 9:41 a.m.

• My2CentsExactly Kaysville, Utah
    May 19, 2011 9:22 a.m.

I also think Huntsman was playing politics to answer the question. As I read his answer, I could hear Bill Clinton in the back of my mind saying "Well that depends on what your definition of IS is." I'm tired of polititions playing word games that leaves me wondering what they just said. If he can't give a straight answer to a simply question, then I can't trust him. And if I can't trust him, he will never get my vote.

• The Real Maverick Orem, UT
    May 19, 2011 8:48 a.m.

Huntsman just avoided the question altogether.

• Furry1993 Somewhere in Utah, UT
    May 19, 2011 7:06 a.m.

I am also an active LDS who believes that one's religion is personal, and not something to be worn on one's sleeve. Well said, Mr. Wilbur.

• Esquire Springville, UT
    May 19, 2011 6:00 a.m.

Wise words. I find it interesting that Mormons want religious freedom, then seek to impose their orthodoxy and dogma in search for a theocracy. Our own history as a people is not so ideologically pure. We were more independent in the past than we seem to be now.

• T-Jeff Uinta Basin, Utah
    May 19, 2011 5:23 a.m.

I think Huntsman's answer was political pandering and not anywhere near as honest as Jefferson's. Bad comparison.