Utah

Comments

• UtahBlueDevil Durham, NC
    May 22, 2011 7:19 a.m.

@Chucks.... my "form of communism".

That statement right there just says tons.

But you know what, I completely defend chucks right to say and think what he will. That is absolutely what makes this country great. From the very beginning of this country we had strong debate between diverging opinions dating before even the Federalist and anti-Ferderalist letters. In letters between Jefferson and Adams, they often comment how there were many angry at both of them about their opinions of the day, in Philadelphia huge crowds of protestors gathered to protest Adams.

Chuck and I both enjoy the freedoms to civilly disagree. I did vote for Obama last election because I thought he was better than McCain. I may or may not vote for him again next election depending on who he is running against. I would hate to see either candidates religion, or who lived in their neighborhood be a deciding factor. I will choose based on what they have done, not what name is on the side of their church or who their bishop/pastor is.

The great news is we equally have the right to speak out and counter idiots like Keller.

• amst plano, tx
    May 21, 2011 10:34 p.m.

There is an old saying I don't agree with what you say but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

• Xenon Vortex New York City, NY
    May 21, 2011 1:52 p.m.

Seems a little insane for someone to call someone else "Satan" don't you think? I'd only say that if Romney was a Satanist. Seeing that he's not, I don't think calling him evil is an appropriate political strategy.

• Ravenal Somewhere in, Utah
    May 20, 2011 11:27 a.m.

I clicked on Mr. Keller's website and the first thing that I noticed was the big "Gold For Souls" button at the top. Here's the program in a nutshell, rather than sell your gold for cash, you send your gold items to Mr. Keller and he gives you a receipt for the value and you get to includes it as a deduction on your taxes.

• UtahBlueDevil Durham, NC
    May 20, 2011 8:27 a.m.

Chuck - the connection is Christ gave a wide range of commandments, of which include paying our taxes to the state, helping the poor, and living moral lives. We don't get to pick and choose which ones we obey, regardless if we agree with them or not, or how we interpret at talk by President Benson.

If we claim the moral right to use the government to enforce moral standards - actions between two consenting adults - surely the same precident could be used to enforce other moral standardss - feeding the poor, clothing the naked, taking care of the elderly. If we are to use the goverment for "Force" people to live our standards - something based on religous law - then the government can equally be used to force people to act morally in other aspects - such as taking care of the poor.

You can't have it both ways. Either the government can or can not be used to reflect religous based morals. You don't get to pick and choose. As a democratically elected government, we the people decide which of those moral laws we choose to codify into our government.

It isn't that confusing.... really.

• BobP Port Alice, B.C.
    May 19, 2011 9:25 p.m.

Evangelicals such as Keller at not Christian. They show it by their own words.

• DSB Cedar Hills, UT
    May 19, 2011 5:24 p.m.

@Mark - "LDS Church claims to have an understanding of where people will be in an afterlife."

Please, please, tell me where the LDS Church thinks I'm going! Or you, or any individual. If you have a problem with our doctrine, which says almost everyone will inherit a kingdom of glory, what do you think of most religions, which teach a strict heaven/hell concept of the afterlife, and claim much surer knowledge of that dividing line than any fellow Mormon I've ever met?

And, as Keller says, our doctrine is 100% incongruous with Christianity? 100%? Really? Obviously I'm just a "hypocrite" since I don't recognize the similarities between LDS teachings and what Keller is saying.

Thanks so much for your obviously unbiased claims about my people, no matter how horribly critical and inaccurate they may be, and without broadbrushing, of course!

Also, if people affiliate with religion to understand God's will, why would anyone attend a church they didn't believe was "true?" Do you really think Catholics and Baptists don't believe they're "true" and that Mormonism is not true? Are Mormons the only ones not allowed to have that belief?

• @Charles the greater outdoors, UT
    May 19, 2011 5:17 p.m.

@Duckie: How out of context can you make an argument? Those quotes from the church's website are in an answer about people not paying their taxes and many end up going to jail because of it.

The problem with your belief and the scripture you assert is that you think the government can tax for any purpose it wants. The COTUS says otherwise. And again, if you think that Christ supports stealing from one to give to another you have failed to make your case.

Maybe you should go read the sermon by King Benjamin and his take on taxes. Then keep reading for the next 10 chapters or so and see how burdensome taxes can be on citizens.

Of course there is a proper role of government. See Pres Benson's take on it in the speech called The Proper Role of Government.

See his and Pres. McKay's talks in both 1966 Conferences regarding your form of Communism. They denounce it. So do modern prophets. Provident living. Self-sufficient. Church welfare program is the model for what should be going on in the world.

I can't see the connection because there isn't one.

• UtahBlueDevil Durham, NC
    May 19, 2011 1:56 p.m.

@Chuckie... Being the spiritual guy that you are, then abviously you are well aquanted with Matthew 22:21. Christ is pretty clear on the issue.

Secondly, the church has said the following,

"the levying of federal income taxes is lawful and constitutional. Thus, Latter-day Saints are committed to the payment of their legal share of the taxes as confirmed by the 12th Article of Faith: We believe in being subject to kings, presidents, rulers, and magistrates, in obeying, honoring, and sustaining the law. [A of F 1:12]" Source Lds.org

So if it is lawful and constitutional... how can it also be stealing? Taxation is by definition that taking of money from a person to be used at the governments will - rich or poor. Not that hard to comprehend.

The church goes on to say those who claim Church membership making it appear as though their opposition to Federal tax laws is Church sponsored...We ask priesthood leaders to be on guard against such persons. They are not to be invited to speak in priesthood or sacrament meetings, firesides, or other Church meetings in attempting to spread their propaganda."

Sorry you can't see the connection.

• Uncle Charles Where freedom and liberty reign, utah
    May 19, 2011 11:15 a.m.

@KGB: your scripture doesn't say what you think it means. There is no redistribution of wealth at all, let alone through the force of government.

The rich man was commanded to SELL what he had, not have it taken away through government force. Huge, HUGE difference. He had the choice to do it or not.

I've never not taken responsibility for what I say. I stand by every single word of it. Hiding? Seriously? Thanks for the chuckles.

When quoting the words of Christ, one stands with the Master and doesn't need to apologize for anything and is always correct on the moral issues. Always.

@Duckie: What precedent did I set in saying God's commandments shouldn't be used for laws? Your post is incomprehensible because it is a strawman argument.

As a society we have the right to follow the COTUS. You don't have the right to take from one person and give it to another person through government force. If you THINK you have that right, then lay out where it says you have the right to steal from one to give to another -- purely for political capital and votes. Where?

• Soul Salt Lake City, UT
    May 19, 2011 9:47 a.m.

Since Mr. Keller is an appointed authority on all religions, including Christianity and the Occults, WOULD Mr. Keller be able to elaborate on the definition of "Mainstream Christianity", and provide specific examples on why some religious organizations are considered Christians and others are excluded based upon Mr. Keller's expert opinion.

I suspect that if Mr. Keller can explain the validity of his position, that fair-minded reasonable individuals would arrive at the same conclusion he has achieved. Is that too much to ask of you Mr. Keller? I look forward to your words of enlightenment?

• donn layton, UT
    May 19, 2011 9:10 a.m.

Mormon attacks on Christians: Brigham Young, The Christian world, so-called, are heathens as to the knowledge of salvation of God(JoD 8:171)John Taylor, What are Christians ignorant? Yes, as ignorant of the things of God as the brute beast(JoD 6:25) Joseph Smith on Christians, all their professors were corrupt...(JS History)

• UtahBlueDevil Durham, NC
    May 19, 2011 7:51 a.m.

@ Charles...

"Again, Christ didn't FORCE the rich man to do anything."

No, actually Christ just gave commandments. Christ said to render unto Caesar what is Caesars, and to help the needy, and to not seek the riches of this world. That all. I guess just suggestions, or recommendations.

You can choose too not obey the commandments, that is true. But if you are going to set the precedent that commands should not be used to establish laws, then you have to use that very same guide in all aspects... like marriage. You can't have it both ways. You can't say that you can't be forced to live a moral life (feeding the needy) but at the same time force others to live your (and my) definition of what marriage is.

As a society, we have the right to establish what we as a society feels needs to be done to support the community as a whole.. Taking care of the disadvantaged at a societal level is one of those things a democratically elected government can do.

• rlsintx Plano, TX
    May 19, 2011 6:58 a.m.

That's the beauty of the freedom of speech: you find out what's really in people's hearts through their mouth....

• KJB1 Eugene, OR
    May 18, 2011 11:13 p.m.

Uncle Charles 7:29 p.m.

Well, the moderator rejected my first attempt, so I'll try again.

You asked for an example of redistribution of wealth in the scriptures and I gave you one. You don't get to change the rules because you don't like the result. Anyway, this was just me attempting to speak your language, since I don't really believe that Mormonism is the "only true Church" or has any special pipeline to "God." You might as well be quoting J.R.R. Tolkien to me for all the good it does. Sorry to disappoint you, but you don't have any special claim to what is "moral" or "patriotic" just because of your religion, and as multiple people have told you, all you seem to care about here are insults and name-calling. Why don't you take responsibility for what you say instead of hiding behind your membership in the Church?

I'm proud be a liberal and progressive. I feel that this world is worth fighting for and that, with some hard work and diligence, that our best times are ahead of us. What do you believe in?

• Gene Hinds Redlands, CA
    May 18, 2011 9:56 p.m.

Let him take shots a Glen Beck, that's ok, but should end there.

• Wally West SLC, UT
    May 18, 2011 9:44 p.m.

Re: SyracuseCoug | 5:25 p.m. May 17, 2011
    Funny.

Re: Dadof5sons | 5:48 p.m. May 17, 2011
    Amen.

Re: AZguy | 10:02 a.m. May 18, 2011

If Ghandi is not going to heaven--I am toast
    Agreed. Ghandi & the Dalai Lama are 2 excellent examples of how to live

Re: BradenJ | 10:34 a.m. May 18, 2011

2. Telling a Mormon they aren't Christian is like telling Peyton Manning he doesn't play football because he's a basketball player.

A better analogy would be to say Peyton is a real football player because he plays for the Colts & not the Pats

re: Uncle Charles | 10:35 a.m. May 18, 2011

Oh well, suffice it to say that I don't call names; that's what your uber-Progressive friends on here do.

So, Chuck. You dont count making blanket accusations as maladjusted?

• Kimball Bakersfield, CA
    May 18, 2011 9:43 p.m.

He doesn't sound like a christian. Defamation of others is not christian. Keller is not a tool of the devil on purpose although ignorance is one of the devils tools.

• DC Alexandria, VA
    May 18, 2011 7:34 p.m.

Not a Beck fan - not a hater either. But this guy us a television evangelist. Nothing more really needs to be said.

• Uncle Charles Where freedom and liberty reign, utah
    May 18, 2011 7:29 p.m.

@mark: I don't dance, just ask my wife and kids. You proved nothing to me that the Lord's quote was false. See Doctrine and Covenants 1:30 for the Lord's words.

There are Lefty Mormons and uber-Progressives on these pages. It's just a statement of fact. Why run from it?

He who seeks offense finds it. See Elder Bednar's Gen Conf talk a few years ago.

I don't know any LDS members who have been insulting to Islam (you know it's a religion and not a people, right?)

What is the "pet name" for Catholics? I'm unaware of it.

@KGB: I'm not sure what your reference is supposed to prove. Again, Christ didn't FORCE the rich man to do anything. He had the choice to keep his riches or do as Christ commanded. This life is about choice and obedience, not force.

People like you believe you can use the government to force people to do what YOU think they should do so YOU can FEEL better.

@Dnews: it would be nice if you removed the post @ 7:00 tonight since it was in error and replaced.

• gizmo33 St. George, Utah
    May 18, 2011 7:13 p.m.

Glenn Beck should be able to spot when ome person attacks another person for who they are and the way they are because thats all Glenn Beck ever does

• KJB1 Eugene, OR
    May 18, 2011 7:02 p.m.

Oops, make that Mark 10: 17-25.

Again, Jesus' words, not mine.

• KJB1 Eugene, OR
    May 18, 2011 7:00 p.m.

Uncle Charles 10:35 a.m.

Matthew 10: 17-25

Jesus' words, not mine.

• Alex 1 Tucson, AZ
    May 18, 2011 6:28 p.m.

donn:

"Alex must be a Temple Mormon or Freemason."

Actually, I am both.

• donn layton, UT
    May 18, 2011 5:50 p.m.

Alex 1 Ya wanna know where the "deep dark" secrets of Mormonism come from? "deep dark Mormon secrets". these super secret rendezvous with the Lord.
    Secret, sacreds or sacred secrets, sounds like Alex must be a Temple Mormon or Freemason.

• cindyacre Shelley, ID
    May 18, 2011 5:38 p.m.

Isn't it sad that a Christian would tell others that they aren't Christian enough? What's the barometer for being Christlike? I think Christ taught what it was - "love thy neighbor as thyself" and even added an update: "Love One Another as I have loved you." Pretty clear.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    May 18, 2011 4:57 p.m.

"Most of Kellers statements are accurate. Except for stating that Mormons are promoting a lie."

I think of it this way. If you aren't Mormon then you have to believe at least some part of Mormonism is wrong. However, lying means to intentionally deceive which is impossible to do when you actually believe what you are saying. So I guess to make that statement accurate from his vantage point would be to say "I believe Mormons are promoting something that isn't true." Or in other words similar to a 5 year old who sincerely thought the answer to 2 + 2 was 5. The kid is wrong, but if he believes that's the answer he's not lying.

• sharrona layton, UT
    May 18, 2011 4:56 p.m.

JM: I think he was the type of person who would have stormed Carthage Jail, thinking that he was doing God a favor!
    Who killed JS ? A newspaper article in the spring of 1844. [probably Mormon]
    A very strong and bitter feeling was aroused against Joseph, among many of his brethren in and around NauvooJoseph had recently presented the revelation of Celestial Marriage to the high council for approval, and certain members were bitterly opposed to itFrancis Higbe a justice of the peace, sat a table in one end of the room and administered the oath to each individual separately, in the following manner, The candidate would step forward to the table; take up a Bible.. Raise his right handYou solemnly swear ,before God and all holy angels, and these your brethren by whom you are surrounded, that you will give your life, your liberty, your influence, your all, for the destruction of Joseph Smith and his party! The person being sworn in say, I do. About 200 hundred persons [took] the oath.
    (Millennial Star, Vol.46 pp 497,499,501,502 and 519)

• FredEx Salt Lake, Ut
    May 18, 2011 4:46 p.m.

It's always nice when someone tries to tell you what you believe. It just makes everyone feel so warm and fuzzy.

• mark Salt Lake City, UT
    May 18, 2011 4:36 p.m.

Keith, I am not trying to paint with a broad brush, I said "many Mormons" are critical. I did not say "all", or "most", or "the majority",   I said "many". I would have no idea if most, or the majority, of Mormons are highly critical of other religions. I do, though, know that many are. That is hardly painting with a broad brush.

But, again, my point still stands as far as the teachings of the LDS church, and the hypocrisy of those that do not recognize the similarities between LDS teachings and what this man is saying:

The LDS Church claims to know that other Churches are not "true", this man claims to know the LDS Church is not Christian; the LDS Church claims to have an understanding of where people will be in an afterlife, so does this man.

Many of the comments directed at this man seem to be of a decidedly unchristian nature.

For the record, I, personally, don't like his tone, then again, I don't like Beck's, and I don't like a lot of Mormons' tones.

4th comment. Silly we can't chat longer. Thanks for the discussion, Keith.

• Jim Mesa, Az
    May 18, 2011 4:35 p.m.

Helen Keller was phsyically blind, Bill Keller is spiritually blind. Helen overcame it Bill still has a long long way to go. Personally I think he was the type of person who would have stormed Carthage Jail, thinking that he was doing God a favor!!!

• firstamendment Lehi, UT
    May 18, 2011 4:22 p.m.

I've never heard other religions ridiculed by LDS.

I've been to many meetings, in many places. I know some formerly interpreted some Book of Mormon statements as references to Catholics, but Prophets from the beginning have indicated that this wasn't the case.

The other statement that some use to justify hating Mormons is the one given to Joseph in the grove, about the philosophers creeds. The creeds caused many tortures, brought dark times, prevented Bible reading and so on, but this wasn't the good Catholics. LDS Prophets have taught that there would be many good people of many faiths in the first resurrection

I'm pretty sure mark is an activist, many of them are here to "destroy" Mormonism, and have vowed to "go after your Church" and "drive them into the ground" until prop08 is overturned. Although it was overturned, they are still here, and often pretend to be LDS in their comments and have met with leading anti-Mormons, perhaps for training and resources, one in their mutual desire to "destroy."

• Just Truth Saratoga Springs, UT
    May 18, 2011 4:21 p.m.

If televangelism defines Christianity, I want no part of it.

Mormons are followers of the biblical Christ. We are glad this man does not represent us in defining a "Christian" for us, but sorry for those Evangelicals (who follow this guy) for how poorly this reflects on them, with his narrow view, and limited understanding of the biblical Jesus. If this man is 100% convinced that Mormons don't believe in the biblical Jesus, he either doesn't know Mormons or doesn't know Jesus.

• Jonathan Eddy Payson, UT
    May 18, 2011 4:13 p.m.

I can understand why Keller Corp. is so afraid of the Mormon "cult". The value of Mr. Keller's stock is dropping like a rock because of the efforts of approximately 55,000 19 year old boys with horns leading astray corporate contributors. If this keeps up, the good preacher may have to trade in his Bentley for a Corolla.

• CT98 Saint George, UT
    May 18, 2011 3:59 p.m.

Most of Kellers statements are accurate. Except for stating that Mormons are promoting a lie. I believe Mormons are different from other Christians becuase Mormons have the purest form of the Christian Gospel. All other Christians just have bits and pieces. Islam is indeed a 1,400 year old lie and Mormon doctrine is indeed different from some biblical doctrines. Simply because Mormons have been given the true doctrines directly through revelation. Most Mormons probably will end up in Hell (terrestial kingdom...along with Keller) because they don't follow their religion with exactness. Keller will sure be surprised when he finds out that Christ is directly leading the Mormon faith!

• byuh2010 Meridian, CA
    May 18, 2011 3:01 p.m.

I think it's unfair to be so ridiculed just because we are mormons. I feel bad for people are so blinded by the fake information that is spread around by people like him but I do think that if he would give us a chance to talk about it and for him to at least try to understand where we come from instead of releasing such rude attacks toward us. Still he is a child of God and I still love him like a brother! :)

• Keith43 Highlands Ranch, CO
    May 18, 2011 2:26 p.m.

@Mark,1:37pm. For the most part, I believe that we're in agreement. The disconnect we have is in the "motives" of those who speak ill of any religion. I firmly believe that we are ALL ok to talk about other religions. We need to evaluate and compare for ourselves, what we believe and don't believe. I don't see that as being wrong. Regarding your mention of the "label" that you say we put on the Catholic church, you're right to a limited degree. The point here though, is that we don't go out in a premeditated way and publicly slander the Catholic church. I am curious however, how you're in a position to be painting such a broad brush, assuming it's a fact that most all mormons speak ill of other religions. I for one, and I believe most mormons are the same as I am, simply don't waste my time with such things. I don't feel threatened by Keller, or anyone else. There's more important things to do with my time. I'm not one to be "casting stones" at anyone. Thanks for the exchange Mark.

• SLC gal Salt Lake City, UT
    May 18, 2011 2:11 p.m.

Stay classy Keller. If Ghandi's going to hell, then what earthly good are you, since apparently you're in a position to judge him...

• Laser Iowa City, IA
    May 18, 2011 1:53 p.m.

Who hasn't this guy condemned? Probably the people who pay him money to preach.

He really condemned Ghandi? I thought the Bible said God is the Judge. It won't be long before his guy will be exposed as having an affair or stealing money from the Church coffers. He'll cry on camera, say he is sorry, then walk off the stage laughing at the millions he's banked.

This guy is a fraud.

• Alex 1 Tucson, AZ
    May 18, 2011 1:48 p.m.

Ya wanna know where the "deep dark" secrets of Mormonism come from? Wait for it...wait for it... From secret meetings with the Holy Ghost and the Lord. It is called prayer, study, obedience, service, and temple attendance (among other things). It is very simple. The Holy Ghost fills you with light and unfolds the meanings of the scriptures and the words of the prophets to you. When we then treat what we receive with reverence, care, and obey promptings, we receive more of those "deep dark Mormon secrets". Funny how there is nothing dark about them. Sometimes the deep things are right under our noses. The Spirit brings joy, peace, knowledge, enlightenment, gratitude and understanding that attend these super secret rendezvous with the Lord.

The bottom line is that communion with the Holy Ghost and the Lord IS the inner circle of the Mormon church. The church leads you there and has been granted authority to do so. Having the Holy Ghost with you puts you "in the know" of the Mormon church. That is what Rev. Keller has as yet not understood.

• KD Salt Lake City, UT
    May 18, 2011 1:38 p.m.

Sounds like the Mormon missionaries have been converting his flock. I guess this guy missed the part in the Bible where Jesus told us to judge not the we be not judged. Condemning souls to hell isn't his job, even though he may have self elevated himself to that position. Rather than attacking other religions he should be teaching the truthful parts of his own religion.

• mark Salt Lake City, UT
    May 18, 2011 1:37 p.m.

"You're correct Mark, in that we mormons talk about other religions amongst ourselves. But, who doesn't? The difference here is that Keller goes on a public rampage. You'll never see the LDS Church doing that."

Keith, so you are saying that it is okay as long as it is done quietly and not in public? Thanks for your honest reply, but I think my point still stands, many Mormons have had highly critical words about other religions. Especially in the last few years many of the LDS members have been highly insulting to Islam. And like I said, their pet name for the Catholic Church is a dandy. (And I would lay money on the fact that I could find instances of that name being pronounced from the pulpit at the highest levels in the past, as well as other comments about other churches.)

But I'll give credit to the LDS Church, lately they have been very good at being officially accepting of other religions, officially.

I wish the members would follow the example.

• Alex 1 Tucson, AZ
    May 18, 2011 1:04 p.m.

I've heard the same line that this guy gives my whole life. He is trying to save me, I get it. I'm flattered. Unfortunately, the Holy Ghost is not taking his cues from him, since the Holy Ghost has renewed my spiritual rebirth repeatedly over the years as a fully believing member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints over the objections of Rev. Keller.

• mark Salt Lake City, UT
    May 18, 2011 12:58 p.m.

"mark: it was Christ who said the LDS church is the only true and living church on the planet. I'll take His word over yours every day of the week."

Well there you go Uncle Charles, you asked if anyone could prove that any of your posts are untrue to post away. Well right there, your comment about Christ is not true. You are just making it up. Prove that you aren't.

By the way, I'm sure your comment got removed because it was offensive, but you, instead of trying to recognize what was offensive about it, try to blame the person that was offended.

That's like the school yard bully, or the wife beater. It's the other persons fault, right? They shouldn't be upset about what you did, right? After all they asked for it. (and, also, that's silly you saying you don't call names in your posts, when in the exact same post you call names. "You lefty Mormons", indeed, "your uber-progressive friends", don't try to pretend those aren't being used derogatorily.)

Okay, your turn, let's see you dance and slide.

• Keith43 Highlands Ranch, CO
    May 18, 2011 12:53 p.m.

@Mark, 9:59am. You're correct Mark, in that we mormons talk about other religions amongst ourselves. But, who doesn't? The difference here is that Keller goes on a public rampage. You'll never see the LDS Church doing that. I've never seen anyone in any of our church meetings, openly and publically talking down about other religions. For some reason though, other churches tend to go out of their way to express their views on Mormonism. We have a community christian church here in my community in Colorado that actually has a Sunday School class that is dedicated to tearing down the LDS church. I never could figure that out - why a church or a person (Keller), would consume so much negative energy and aggression, in an attempt to destroy the LDS church. From the beginning, people like Keller have been after us. But, like those in the past, Keller will eventually go the way of all the earth, and the church will still be here.

• Lord Buckley Polkton, nc
    May 18, 2011 12:42 p.m.

Poor Mr. Keller, his donations must be way down. Have never met who hated Muslims, who didn't hate Mormons also.

• ADN Weiser, ID
    May 18, 2011 12:42 p.m.

It almost sounds like this guy is trying to really convince himself of something. That sounds like a miserable way to live life. It is too short to hate like this.

• juni4ling Somewhere in Colorado, CO
    May 18, 2011 12:29 p.m.

He is just trying to compliment the Church of Jesus Christ...

That, or he has forgotten that the earliest (pre-creedal) Christian Church was called a "cult."

Back in the day...

• Mel50 Nashville, TN
    May 18, 2011 12:10 p.m.

There is an abundance of evil out there putting pressure on Christians of all types - LDS, Catholic, Baptist, Methodist, etc - there are secularists who want to remove all traces of faith and religion from the public square. I tell Christians who would question my faith that with all this evil coming from the outside, it is counter-productive for Christians to turn on each other because we don't all pray the exact same way. I have issues with other denominations. I don't beleive in praying to saints, like the Catholics do. I don't believe church members should be allowed to vote on the doctrine they follow, like some Presbyterians do. But I'm not going to write books about how wrong they are, or stand outside their churches and confront them as they enter. I am busy working out my own salvation. I frankly don't have time to "save" a whole denomination from their beliefs, no matter how wrong I think they are.

• friedeggonAZstreets Glendale, AZ
    May 18, 2011 12:02 p.m.

Sounds like his ratings are hurting due to Glenn Beck or else why would he want be on his show? I wonder if people who do this really believe the garbage they are spewing? I want to know what it is he wants Beck to "fess up" to believing. I think it's more about the 'almighty dollar' than the 'Almighty God' this guy is fuming about.

• Uncle Charles Where freedom and liberty reign, utah
    May 18, 2011 11:20 a.m.

@2 bits: Thanks for the analysis but since they both were posted they must have met the requirements. In other words, one of the censors actually READ it BEFORE it was posted and felt it was okay.

My guess is someone whined about it so they removed it.

I did have to laugh though at your "untrue" assumption. If posts had to be factually true, then I don't think any would make it on, do you? Everything is an opinion unless you want to argue that 1 + 1 = 3.

Taking offense is in the eye of the beholder. See Elder Bednar's talk on those who seek to be offended so they can claim victim status to feel better about themselves.

Also, if you can prove that any of my posts aren't true, then post away.

I think the Dnews is hiring part-time censors....maybe you could apply?

Anything else?

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    May 18, 2011 11:06 a.m.

Beck is every bit as strange as Keller is. Even moreso. Have you read his comments about the rally he plans to hold in Isreal? Beck is completely losing it.

• 2 bits Cottonwood Heights, UT
    May 18, 2011 10:54 a.m.

Uncle Charles | 10:35 a.m.

Your post would only get un-posted IF...
    1. It was "UNTRUE"
    2. It was "OFFENSIVE"
    3. Had too many characters, all caps, etc.

So.... now we know that your reply to KGB was one of the above (offensive, factually untrue, or over 200 characters).

I wonder which one got your post removed. Probably not too many characters... so that just leaves the other two.

• Uncle Charles Where freedom and liberty reign, utah
    May 18, 2011 10:35 a.m.

@KGB: I responded to you last night and they were on there and then some sensitive censor removed them.

I support all of my positions with facts and substance. I also support my comments with gospel principles.

Nowhere do I find force through government in the gospel and yet that's what all of you Lefty Mormons on here propose. That plan was rejected.

The real plan is choice.

This minister doesn't have a clue about gospel principles but equals the hating, vitriolic comments that are posted on here each and every day. Just read Mav, esquire, Dukie, Christy, MormonDem, LDS Lib, Pagan and many others. With the exception of Pagan, I think everyone else claims to be LDS and yet their posts go contrary to the gospel teachings and are the same as the Rev who this article is about.

If you can prove to me that Christ is all about force through government intervention and making people do good, please, share chapter and verse as I've never read it in any scriptures.

• BradenJ Minot, ND
    May 18, 2011 10:34 a.m.

You can't help but just laugh off attention seeking people like this.

1. This guy obviously doesn't know too much about Mormons.

3. Anyone who professes to be Christian can claim holiness and Christianity about themselves all they want to, but a true Christian would never say stuff like this about anyone else, because Jesus Christ would never be this hate-filled and aggressive towards anybody. Mormons follow Jesus Christ.

4. He wants Beck to be honest about what his "cult" believes? I didn't know we were a cult first of all, but I've been a Mormon for 18 years, are there really any secret beliefs that I and the rest of the world are unaware of? Yea, didn't think so.

5. Reading about this guy was probably the funnest 5 minutes of my life. :)

• AZguy Phoenix, AZ
    May 18, 2011 10:02 a.m.

Definitely not a Glenn Beck fan here. If Ghandi is not going to heaven--I am toast. Seriously-mark me down as extra crispy.

• mark Salt Lake City, UT
    May 18, 2011 9:59 a.m.

Man, the hypocrisy is rank on this board. Imagine Mormons criticizing this guy for saying he knows where people will end up in an afterlife. Really, Mormons? Guess what. You guys do the exact same thing. So, really, don't get so worked up when someone else does it.

Also, Mormons are getting worked up about this guy saying he knows which Church is Christian and which isn't? Which Church is true and which aren't? Really, you guys need to relax, he is doing nothing that you guys don't do constantly.

And don't even try to claim that this guy is criticizing other Churches and Mormons don't. Just on it's face that's laughable. But specifically every time Mormons make the claim that the LDS Church is the one "true" Church, they insult all other Churches. The arrogance. I've heard, plenty of times, what Mormons think of the Catholic Church, and their name they have for her.

So maybe you guys might want to come down off your high horses, and show some of that Christian value you all claim so highly, and ease off the hate of this guy.

• Kateybug Riverton, UT
    May 18, 2011 9:40 a.m.

I'm sure glad I belong to a religion that NEVER teaches that people of other faiths are already condemned to Hell simply because of their choice of religion. My religion teaches me that EVERYBODY has the opportunity to get to Heaven and only Jesus Christ will be the ultimate judge. Too bad this guy obviously thinks HE is the judge. Someday he'll realize how wrong he has been.

• Sarah Nichole West Jordan, UT
    May 18, 2011 9:09 a.m.

I may be confused on this - it happens quite often - but isn't one tenet of Christianity to love your neighbor and to welcome them into the fold with open arms, rather than insulting and shunning them? Because this man seems to be doing very little of the former, and an awful lot of the latter.

• sharrona layton, UT
    May 18, 2011 8:56 a.m.

This is nothing new, Catholics consider Mormonism a non-Christian religion, see Catholic Answers. While mainline conservative Christian Churches: Lutheran,Baptists and Bible believing non-denominational churches,Pentecostal as well, consider Mormonism a cult like Jehovahs Witnesses.
    Mormonism denies all the essentials of the Christian faith.

• Munk Cottonwood Heights, UT
    May 18, 2011 8:18 a.m.

Hypocrisy at its finest...

• Liberal Ted Salt Lake City, UT
    May 18, 2011 8:04 a.m.

Bill Keller makes him sound like a cult leader. Who happens to make millions on "christianity". Even better he does it on tv and can't be questioned about his doctrine.

Keller is a bit scarry.

• skeptic Phoenix, AZ
    May 18, 2011 6:57 a.m.

RE: it is time: Could be that you are right. Sometimes the truth hurts. Everybody should stay home and mind their own business, or perhaps rebutalls to the rebutalls would smooth things out. But, much of the problem seems to be that Beck has decided there is more money to be made in pitching religion than selling political propaganda. Anyway, Beck is a smart business head and he will find away to make money on it. Stay tuned for the next episode.

• Onward and Upward St George, UT
    May 18, 2011 1:49 a.m.

Is Keller associated with the Media Matters Group?

• it is time saratoga springs, ut
    May 18, 2011 12:24 a.m.

I do not appreciate the way you Deseret reported this story. It's poor taste and slanted and gives Killer another forum to smear Beck and Mormons. Why would you give Keller this platform? It would have been balanced and objective to have gotten some of the other TV pastors and ministers to rebutall against Keller showing support for Beck and Mormons, you really dropped the ball and the real story.

• The Real Maverick Orem, UT
    May 17, 2011 11:40 p.m.

This is what happens when you mix politics and religion to make money.

Beck has forced his theological views and spread them via his outrageous show.

Now he must face the consequences.

• DN Subscriber Cottonwood Heights, UT
    May 17, 2011 11:23 p.m.

This guy has earned himself a place right up there with the so-called "Westboro Baptist Church" as a pseudo-religion that is filled with hate and a lust for publicity.

I am not a Mormon or a Beck fan and this guy's rantings just disgust me.

• Schwa South Jordan, UT
    May 17, 2011 11:16 p.m.

I think the LDS faithful should be more offended that he ties Beck's absurd views to church theology than anything.

• Andermart Pullman, WA
    May 17, 2011 10:47 p.m.

As Mormons, we kind of need to follow the example of the Mormon Jesus and turn the other cheek and say, like our Savior of old, "Father forgive him for he knows not what he does". So much hate. He is the kind of person that gives Christians a bad name. So sad.

• The Rock Federal Way, WA
    May 17, 2011 10:11 p.m.

@fresnogirl

You said: I grew up with kids whose preachers were just like this guy. They always wanted to tell me what I believed (insert the first crazy thing that pops into your head). When I would tell them that I did NOT believe that, they would tell me: "You do too. I know because my preacher told me and HE'S studied it."

Excellent!

When I run into this situation I would say; "Hey, you're good. What am I thinking now?"

When they could not read my mind I would ask; "If you can't read my mind then why do you think you know what I believe? Nobody can speak for me but me."

• sergio Phoenix, AZ
    May 17, 2011 9:48 p.m.

Beck and Keller are like two peas in a pod.

• B Logan, UT
    May 17, 2011 9:34 p.m.

Like Glenn Beck or hate him, he has many Christian ministers like Keller deeply concerned. Not because Beck might be leading souls astray, although that is his stated concern. Beck has the zeal of an evangelical with the doctrine of a Mormon and he has people's attention. What Keller and many like him are concerned about with Beck, and the LDS church in general, is that they are starting to cut into their profit margin. Nobody with a monopoly on souls and wallets likes competition.

• pat1 Taylorsville, UT
    May 17, 2011 9:32 p.m.

I don't like this guy either. But neither do I think Glenn Beck represents every Mormon.

• R.Burgundy Cedar Hills, UT
    May 17, 2011 9:19 p.m.

He is just trying to get free pub for his next fundraising telecast. I am sure he has more bills coming this month or maybe he needs that 6th house or that fine piece of art he found in paris on one of his expensive vacations. These dudes are funny!

Stay Classy

• Richie Saint George, UT
    May 17, 2011 8:53 p.m.

Shame on any papers that even print this drivel from a warped soul.

• Serenity Manti, UT
    May 17, 2011 8:30 p.m.

What a shame that this hate monger has such a large following. People such as him populate temple square at every General Conference. They rant and rave with a satanic voices, screaming hate as the scalding desert winds, yet they give no room to listen to, or hear the still small voice of Christ.

Its so sad that people blindly follow his hate. They think that because he is a "minister of God" he must be right and know what he is talking about. Our dear Savior warned about such wolves in sheep's clothing who want to devour and destroy. Those who follow such hate must have a strange perception of our Lord. We need to pray for those lost souls that they find Christ with His love and caring. He loves all of us and wants us to come unto Him by loving one another. By this shall men know that we are His disciples - that we have love one to another.

• Heidi T. Farmington, Utah
    May 17, 2011 8:16 p.m.

Interesting article quoting Bill the extremist bigot and uninformed "Christian" preacher. It is obvious he feels very strongly against any religion but his and has created for himself a safe tunnel to take pot shots at Mormons, Muslims, and anyone who doesn't believe as he does. He never does say what he believes nor what a personal relationship with Jesus Christ means to him. Poor guy.

• SG in SLC Salt Lake City, UT
    May 17, 2011 7:50 p.m.

I agree with Michael De Groote's decision to write, and the DN's decision to publish, this story. It is clearly news with relevance in THIS particular market.

The article doesn't lend any credibility to Bill Keller's statements, either. His statements included in the article are not accompanied by any editorial comment regarding their validity, but rather, by commentary regarding their likely intent.

Readers are left to draw their own inferences about the Mr. Keller's credibility (and sanity); and, if the vast majority of the responses in this comment forum are any indication, few people other than like-minded evangelicals (and I don't believe that all, or even most, evangelicals share his extreme, vitriolic point of view) will take Mr. Keller seriously or view his statements as anything more than an affront to true Christianity.

• KJB1 Eugene, OR
    May 17, 2011 7:01 p.m.

Uncle Charles 6:14 p.m.

"They both don't understand the doctrines of the restored gospel."

Why not? Did God tell you that hard-right conservatism is the Only True Political System?

Uncle Charles, I may strongly disagree with posters like Redshirt and Mike Richards, but at least they attempt to make coherent arguments with something to back them up. You, on the other hand, do nothing but call people names. It's easy to tear down, but can you build up? Can you offer solutions instead of insults?

I'm guessing that if you respond to this, you'll just call me KGB again. That'll show me...

• Ross Madison, AL
    May 17, 2011 6:28 p.m.

Sounds like he follows the radical Jerimiah Wright and Bill Ayers, just like Obama. For sure a radical Christian.

• Michael De Groote
    May 17, 2011 6:12 p.m.

Keller's comments are important because he has a very large following. His email list, if I recall correctly, has more than two million names. Beck is, of course, important for his influence and following. I recommend reading Keller's full press release if you want to see his point of view in greater detail and in context.

By the way, I have never heard an anecdote about somebody joining (or rejecting) the LDS Church because of Glenn Beck's shows. If anybody has any story about joining or rejecting the church because of Beck, please feel free to email me at the newspaper at mdegroote@desnews.com.

• MapleDon Springville, UT
    May 17, 2011 6:06 p.m.

Keller's simply trying to promote himself (and make money) by being controversial.

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    May 17, 2011 6:03 p.m.

Why do Utah Republicans [many are Mormons] seek to closely associate themselves with radicals like this on the far-right?

• Brother Chuck Schroeder A Tropical Paradise USA, FL
    May 17, 2011 6:01 p.m.

Glenn Beck, Mormonism attacked by Bill Keller, minister who targeted Mitt Romney. DO NOT KNOCK FLORIDA. It is a bit disheartening to see a political candidate like Romney raise $10 million dollars in a day. His goal is to ultimately raise $1 BILLION to try and become President. President Obama is also planning on raising $1 BILLION. For what Romney raised in one day, we have the pieces in place to turn this nation back to God and His Truth, while leading millions of lost souls to faith in Jesus. Just $10 million to change the spiritual course of our nation. God uses human instruments. Everyone expects someone else to answer the call, and miss His blessings that flow from our obedience. Please take a few minutes today and ask the Lord what HE is calling you to do to insure this need is met. Over the past 12 years, men and women of God have stepped up at the 11th hour to further His work at Liveprayer. If this devotional is a blessing to you, maybe you have a friend or family member that would like to start receiving this daily word. Bill Keller is a good man.

• Andermart Pullman, WA
    May 17, 2011 6:00 p.m.

Is it that time to pull out all the stops, think you, Brother Keller? I can appreciate your views, kind of, but might I suggest that is is probably time that you quit telling Mormons what they don't know what they believe and actually go out yourself and get to know a few of them. There are probably some right down the street where you live, just around the corner from your office, and helping in the disaster scenes you drive right past. When others have a better religious solution, better religious answers, and exhibit better Christlike behavior than you yourself are teaching, there is always the possibility that it is your train that got off the track, not the other way around. I realize the Mormons are speeding right past you, and that it isn't fair, and that you want to slow them down, but really? Listen to yourself. Get a grip man. From the sound of your rants, you have got bigger problems in your personal life than just Mormons. I know a very good LDS psychologist you could see. All the best man. Hang on.

• JSB Sugar City, ID
    May 17, 2011 5:55 p.m.

re. wandrew
    "Perhaps the LDS Church brings some of it on itself by its claim to be the 'one true church.' The early Christians also brought it upon themselves by claiming to be the "one true church." The early Christians, like the LDS were persecuted and lied about and mocked. Sounds like the LDS are in good company. Or are there several "true churches?"

• The Real Maverick Orem, UT
    May 17, 2011 5:51 p.m.

Just another example of why Romney has no chance. The radical right controlled by ignorant evangelicals would never support a Mormon. They'd rather send someone completely incompetent, like Palin, than Romney.

• hlopez West Jordan, UT
    May 17, 2011 5:49 p.m.

He could have a reason why he is targeting mormons since they consider themselves "christian" yet are not christian by other christians.

• Dadof5sons Montesano, WA
    May 17, 2011 5:48 p.m.

This probley the most attention this person has ever had. this is the first time I ever heard of him. And remember by their fruits you shall know them.

• Daveman Pleasant Grove, UT
    May 17, 2011 5:44 p.m.

Good grief. Another vitriolic, divisive, hate mongering loud mouth. Does this guy make anyone else out there uncomfortable? I do not care what your belief system is, you have a right to it, as long as it does not harmfully infringe on the fundamental rights of others. Mormonism is a faith of choice, as is any mainstream Christian denomination, as is Judaism, Islam, Zoroastrianism or whatever. I tire of "religious" leaders who try to forward their agendas by denigrating others. Shut up already!

• Mike Richards South Jordan, Utah
    May 17, 2011 5:41 p.m.

Let's see if I've got this straight.

Christ told Joseph Smith ". . . that I must join none of them, for they were all wrong; and the Personage who addressed me said that all their creeds were an abomination in his sight; that those professors were all corrupt; that: "they draw near to me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me, they teach for doctrines the commandments of men, having a form of godliness, but they deny the power thereof."

Bill Keller claims to be an authority on which church is Christ's Church.

I wonder what Christ thinks of Bill Keller's authority to speak in the name of Christ?

• 2 bits Cottonwood Heights, UT
    May 17, 2011 5:40 p.m.

LDS Liberal | 5:17 p.m.

When did Glen Beck say, "Democrats are going to Hell"???

Can you show us? Or are you just creating a little make believe rhetoric to serve your agenda?

• MoJules Florissant, MO
    May 17, 2011 5:40 p.m.

What a pathetic thing. Why do we have to have an attitude of hate towards those that we don't agree with?

• Instereo Eureka, UT
    May 17, 2011 5:38 p.m.

LDS should know that when they court the extremes in their politics, their fellow travelers in politics will extol them in religion. The evangelical right is never going to accept LDS people, they will only use them. It's time for LDS people to stand up and be different with their own unique brand of politics.

• Serenity Manti, UT
    May 17, 2011 5:37 p.m.

And So, Mr Keller, just what do you believe? What kind of haate is your god?

• Howard Beal Provo, UT
    May 17, 2011 5:31 p.m.

This might all suggest that Mormons have no place in the Republican Party at the national level. Not that this guy is the poster child for all Evangelicals but perhaps the most visible symptom of the schism that clearly exists between Evangelicals and Mormons, though the schism is more so coming from the Evangelicals.

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    May 17, 2011 5:30 p.m.

SyracuseCoug | 5:16 p.m. May 17, 2011
    Syracuse, Ut
    I don't know about you guys, but anyone on TV asking for my money is definately on the up and up. Do I get Kinoki foot pads or magic bracelets that make me run farther if I send money to him? If so, I'm all in baby!

==================

Are you talking about Keller, or Beck?
    Both are preaching hell, fire and brimstone to the scared and gullible.

• Moracle Blackshear, GA
    May 17, 2011 5:28 p.m.

I would ask if Mr. Keller has ever read LDS published teachings,or is he just going by what others have said about our belief?

Years ago, I met a former Evangelica minister in Florida who said he left his ministry and Church, because he was hired to write false and true-but-misleading information (sophistry) about the Mormon Church. He said his conscience wouldn't let him do it, so he quit the job and the faith that condoned the lies. Mr. Keller, and others, should not seek the truth of the LDS belief from enemies of the Church; after all, who would go to Allstate to learn about State Farm? Does that make any sense at all?

I'd guess that Mr. Keller, like many other Evangelical ministers, is a good, honest, and decent man, who has simply been mislead by false information and feels he is doing the world a service by preaching against the "Cult" of Mormonism --just as Saul felt, as he preached against the Christians, and even consented to their death, before he was corrected by the Lord on the road to Damascus, and subsequently, became Paul, the Apostle.

"Pray for your enemies."

• CHS 85 Sandy, UT
    May 17, 2011 5:27 p.m.

All the DMN has to do is put the name Beck in the title of a news story and it'll draw 100 or more comments in a couple of hours. Why are we supposed to care about this guy so much?

• SyracuseCoug Syracuse, ut
    May 17, 2011 5:25 p.m.

How can you say no to hair like that, it's magnificent. Let me get my checkbook.

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    May 17, 2011 5:17 p.m.

Rev. Keller says Mormons are going to hell.
    Glenn Beck says Democrats are going to hell.

Pot, met kettle.

• Iggle Salt Lake City, UT
    May 17, 2011 5:17 p.m.

I, as a Mormon, happily admit that I believe in a "different Jesus" than the one Bill Keller believes in.

• SyracuseCoug Syracuse, ut
    May 17, 2011 5:16 p.m.

• The Reader Layton, UT
    May 17, 2011 5:14 p.m.

I would put Glenn Beck and Bill Keller in the same race to see who can make the most money. Both are radical with no other goal in mind than to make as much money as possible before their popularity runs out as both are sure to do sooner rather than later!!

• Kjallbee Orem, UT
    May 17, 2011 5:12 p.m.

How can anyone associate such judgment, hate, and derision with "Christianity." If that's part of being "Christian" then certainly the Mormons are not, by Keller's definition. His extreme, harsh, and lonely station IS Hell.

• Capt. Smash Bountiful, UT
    May 17, 2011 5:12 p.m.

I don't understand. Are Mormoms a cult, why would he say that?

Definition of 'cult' Random House Webster's College Dictionary

1. (n.) cult
    a particular system of religious worship, esp. with reference to its rites and ceremonies.

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    May 17, 2011 5:10 p.m.

Religion. Everybody's right, nobody has to prove anything, and we want it to play an increasingly important role in the political arena. No wonder we're so divided.

• Blaine Cedar City, UT
    May 17, 2011 5:08 p.m.

Christians tend to be more tolerant of people with differing views than adherents of any other religion. There are exceptions, Keller apparently being one.

• firestorm Lehi, UT
    May 17, 2011 5:07 p.m.

Is this guy from 1840's Missouri... The more things change, the more they stay the same. Can you say "Hawn's Mill"

• Utexmom Flower Mound, TX
    May 17, 2011 5:05 p.m.

So where in the Bible does it say that those who actually follow Christ are going to hell?

• katamb Cottonwood Heights, UT
    May 17, 2011 5:02 p.m.

Who is this guy and why is such a big deal being made of it? There are so many so-called evangelical stations now and so many so-called ministers that it's hard to keep up with them. I had enough of the tv preachers and their scandals in the 1980s.

• 2 bits Cottonwood Heights, UT
    May 17, 2011 5:01 p.m.

I sense a lot of anger... and very little love... in that guy's rhetoric based rant.

Not very Christ-like. I think Christ would encourage us to love our neighbors as ourselves (INCLUDING Mormons)... whether they are right or wrong.

• momcani Toronto, Ontario
    May 17, 2011 5:00 p.m.

This guys is just as much of a nut case as Glenn Beck. Unfortunately people who hear Glenn, think all mormons are like him.

• wandrew Cottonwood Heights, UT
    May 17, 2011 4:58 p.m.

I am a BYU graduate, but am not active in the LDS Church. It continues to drive me crazy, however, when one group of "Christians" determines that another group are not Christians. Perhaps the LDS Church brings some of it on itself by its claim to be the "one true church". In the early days of the Protestant Reformation, "heretics" were burned at the stake for deviating from the Catholic Church. In the Balkans, Catholics and Orthodox still occasionally shoot each other, as do Catholics and Protestants in Northern Ireland. A friend just today told me that religion as a whole has a negative effect on mankind. Certainly, those who claim to follow Christ ought to respect others who do so differently. This kind of bigotry should have no place in our society.

• Aggielove Junction city, Oregon
    May 17, 2011 4:53 p.m.

Looks like a snl chararcter.
    Who cares. We cant let these attacks define us by our stupid reactions folks. Its purely the advasary at his best.

• coleman51 Orem, UT
    May 17, 2011 4:49 p.m.

Keller is an extreme bigot who promotes a hateful and discriminatory agenda which he claims is Christianity. Instead, he has hijacked Christianity and foists his rhetoric upon those who are too ignorant and foolish to discern between right from wrong. It's of interest that he wishes to be on the Glenn Beck program. Perhaps all that fame and money that Beck has accumulated has its appeal to Keller. It's likely that Keller wishes to rub shoulders with the devil so he can have some of his success and notoriety.

• Utes21 Salt Lake City, ut
    May 17, 2011 4:46 p.m.

Really why is this news? Lets see another evangelist claiming mormons arent christian. This guy only has a online show, man you made it to the big times! I bet the Savior is really proud for all your lies and hatred. I mean thats what he preached right?

• Freedom Huntsville, UT
    May 17, 2011 4:45 p.m.

Mr. Keller seems to choose which commandments he wants to obey. Thou shalt not bare false witness... remember that one Mr. Keller? I'm not a Beck fan, but I don't speak lies about him. Keller is the dangerous man. Maybe he's related to Korihor?

• TMR Santa Monica, CA
    May 17, 2011 4:45 p.m.

Great. Now, Beck gets to be a "Mormon" martyr. Keller's offense? He conflates Beck with "Mormonism." Heaven help us.

• Montana Mormon Miles City, MT
    May 17, 2011 4:44 p.m.

"Keller's press release says he 'takes the evangelical position that Mormon doctrine is 100 percent inconsistent with Biblical Christianity and that a Mormon is no more a Christian than a Muslim is.'"

Having read the King James Version of the New Testament from cover to cover 80+ times, I respectfully disagree with Mr. Keller's assertion.

So I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

• omahahusker Modesto, CA
    May 17, 2011 4:40 p.m.

Mr. Keller (Not Reverand)Has a hate issue. Where did he get his authority to say what he says. Just another mans opinion. He needs to focus on the prevention of sin rather than bashing another church that doesn't share his view point. Life is too short, too many other distractions to lend any credence to his hate speech.

• Pa. Reader Harrisburg, PA
    May 17, 2011 4:38 p.m.

The irony here is that this silly man's opinion of Islam lines up pretty well with Beck's. Every Faith has its nuts. I would hope reasonable people will not judge the LDS Church because of Beck's irrational priestcrafts just because he happens to be a Church member right now. By the same token, let's not assume all evangelical Christians are as wacky as this guy.

• BYUalum South Jordan, UT
    May 17, 2011 4:35 p.m.

I agree with Andy 1:54. Why does the Deseret News give this guy a photo and print? He is a nobody and a nothing! Please no further articles on him and what he thinks! Glenn Beck will take care of him nicely. This is nothing but hate-mongering. "There necessarily needs be opposition in all things."

• mkSdd3 Ogden, UT
    May 17, 2011 4:34 p.m.

This Preachers ideas may sound radical to some of you, but it isn't new, and this guy isn't alone in his way of thinking. Look up "Christian countercult movement" or "discernment ministries". It is well organized and has been going on for a while now. This guy is the same as all the other ministries that are setup to attack other religions.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    May 17, 2011 4:27 p.m.

gee Televangelist Bill Keller sounds like a wonderful man...nothing like a Televangelist to add credibility to politics. Televangelist's are about as credible as professional wrestlers...they are in it for the entertainment and shock factor. These pentacostal,bible banging, minsters are worried sick about a Mormon president and the impact that would have on their bottom line ($$$$).
    It's all about money and these Televangelist imposters who appeal to the simple minded and ignorant will say anything and do anything to defend their turf. The LDS church is growing faster than any Christian church in the US and many of those converts are coming from the protestant ranks. Glen Beck is a BIG threat to this character because Glenn is gaining alot of converts himself from the protestant south who see him as not only a defender of the constitution but also an evangelist of Christian values.

• Mudd Lehi, UT
    May 17, 2011 4:25 p.m.

@IDC:
    Hahaha!!! I love you!

• Z2010 Brigham City, UT
    May 17, 2011 4:22 p.m.

Wow, someone else who knows what you need to do for salvation.

• windsor City, Ut
    May 17, 2011 4:20 p.m.

Haven't cared a whit about Glenn Beck--until now.

• BroncoFan27 Blanding, Utah
    May 17, 2011 4:17 p.m.

Well,
    The thing about this guy is that he seems to know everything, but we are not mormons. We are of the Church of JESUS CHRIST of Latter Day Saints. That is right the Church of JESUS CHRIST. Religion is a great thing and there are many out there, but at least they all are giving something to hope for after this life. Keep what you believe, but also be willing to pay the consequence in the end. Deep down in his heart, he knows what he is saying will come back on him, but he is getting publicity and that is all he cares about now. We will all get the chance to know the "truth of all things".

• BobP Port Alice, B.C.
    May 17, 2011 4:16 p.m.

What a sad, sick, silly little man. Do insider trading and extreme evangelical have that much in common.

• woolybruce Idaho Falls, ID
    May 17, 2011 4:14 p.m.

This guy and Glenn Beck seem to be out of the same mold. No wonder he doesn't like Beck.

• Voice of Reason Layton, UT
    May 17, 2011 4:13 p.m.

Wow - this is miraculous news! Apparently, a guy named Reverend Bill Keller has been handed down from on high the Totally Ultimate Frosted Toupee of Christian-Naming Power...I had no idea that this had happened! Now, all disagreement on who is a Christian may cease; we'll all just ask His Holy Hairness the Rev. Keller who is & who ain't. That ought to settle things.

And as a Mormon myself, I've finally been set straight...I am going to Hell.

With Gandhi.

And probably Mother Theresa (are Catholics on the Good List, Reverend?)

Seriously, if some people spent as much time actually trying to be a Christian as they do trying to decide who isn't one, this world would be a much better place.

• justice4all Moab, UT
    May 17, 2011 4:13 p.m.

The thing that will get me everytime, is this guy says he is a Christian, right? And he knows all the answers, right? And the the LDS faith does not follow the Bible, right? But he does,right? Doesn't the Bible clearly state, "Judge not, lest ye be judged of.' Right? Just saying.........

• Sandy Salt Lake City, UT
    May 17, 2011 4:05 p.m.

Never heard of him before and wonder why we're even talking about him. Doesn't the fact that he wants on Beck's show say it all? Someone to be ignored.

• Silly Rabbit Magna, UT
    May 17, 2011 3:52 p.m.

This Keller guy reminds of the Crusaders that captured Jerusalem in the first Crusade, when they ordered to kill all of the Muslim population. When it was difficult to tell the Muslims, Jews and Christians apart the Crusaders were told to kill them all and let God in heaven be the judge.

Im glad this Keller guy doesnt have much authority over anything except a few people and a large mouth, because he sounds like the type of guy that would make decisions like were made during the first crusade.
    But dont worry Mr. Keller I am very honest and open about the Cult I am a part of.

• IDC Boise, ID
    May 17, 2011 3:52 p.m.

I was getting mad until I saw his hair. Now I just feel sorry for him.

• flynn is the coolest Salt Lake City, UT
    May 17, 2011 3:51 p.m.

'At the end of today's press release, Keller says, "All I have ever asked is that Beck and members of his cult be honest and truthful about what they believe."'

I'm not sure if Keller is referring to Beck's religion or his Fox New following. I laugh when I think of the Fox News following as a cult- though I think they're pretty clear on what they believe. I pretty much disagree with everything I hear coming from Glenn Beck as a political commentator, however, as "Brother Beck", I'll always take his side agains whack jobs like this.

• SimonSays Riverton, UT
    May 17, 2011 3:50 p.m.

I am LDS, do not listen to Beck (never will), and amazed that someone who professes to be Christian would be filled with such hate and ignorance. It is people like this who give religion a bad name ... making claims without any evidence to support his hate filled rhetoric.

• The Rabbit (in Spanish) Salt Lake City, UT
    May 17, 2011 3:41 p.m.

This guy is attacking Beck and his media empire in order to get more attention directed at HIS church than he would be able to otherwise.

The reason he makes inflammatory statements is in order get attention and sell his brand of doctrine in an ever increasing sea of "Christianity".

Kind of like an out of work actor that comes out of the blue and claims to be the victim of some type of abuse as a child. It gets the camera back on them and they start making money again!

• casual observer Salt Lake City, UT
    May 17, 2011 3:37 p.m.

Mr. Keller needs a new wig consultant before me sticks his head out from under the rock when he subsists.

• EgbertThrockmorton Layton, UT
    May 17, 2011 3:30 p.m.

I consider myself to be well educated and well read, yet, Ive never heard of this fellow until now. I'm sure he is doing this for mere altruistic reasons, rather than financial.

• Mormon Left North Salt Lake, UT
    May 17, 2011 3:27 p.m.

I flat out don't care what fundamental Christian evangelists think of Mormonism, which leaves me free to enjoy watching someone else try to shred Beck and expose him as a fraud.

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    May 17, 2011 3:20 p.m.

So let me ask....

Why do so many Utah Mormons want to be associated and included with such vial evangelical Republicans?

• greenman108 Petaluma, CA
    May 17, 2011 3:17 p.m.

Unfortunately, the fundamentalist Christians quote N.T. scripture which states that Satan is 'Who' opposes Jesus's teaching, and thus, by extension, anyone who chooses anything but a fundamentalist Christian religion is either a henchman of Satan or, they say, Satan himself, in the "guise" of whomever they are targeting. Sad but true. I have run into that kind of 'logic' before. Its pretty convenient to be able to undermine any arguments against your chosen faith by being able to say that the 'other' is by definition in the role of dark forces in league with the devil himself.

• uglysofa St George, UT
    May 17, 2011 3:17 p.m.

Wait, Glenn Beck is a mormon?

• Wayne Rout El Paso, TX
    May 17, 2011 3:11 p.m.

Wait a minute, Brave Sir, I'm a dim-witted rural folk and I still can't understand the guy. I think it is right that he probably is behind in his boat payments. Some people just need attention.

• no fit in SG St.George, Utah
    May 17, 2011 3:10 p.m.

Now we all understand a bit more why a Mormon will never be elected to be President of the United States.

• Sqweebie Salt Lake City, UT
    May 17, 2011 3:09 p.m.

Life on its own must have this man's undies in a knot.

Enjoyed reading the article and will ask a special blessing for Keller - he needs them and from the sound of it - desperately.

• panamadesnews Lindon, UT
    May 17, 2011 2:55 p.m.

Actually, Mr Keller, if you know for sure that Mormonism, Judeaism, and other religious groups are in or from hell, then you must be there or from there, also. It takes one to know one. Your narrowmindedness and retoric shows your hate. So, doing what you are accusing others of doing shows your hipocracy. Your retoric and agenda are a non-factor in the grand scheme of things. But one thing is certain, you will be held accountable for the spiritual damage you are doing. I pray that you will receive some sort of a wake-up call, as did Saul, as explained in Acts in the New Testament. You are doing the exact same thing he was doing, only his action was more physically demonstrated, but yours is spiritually so.

• gwest Melfa, VA
    May 17, 2011 2:54 p.m.

This is the guy who became a minister after serving three years in prison for insider trading. Of course, a person can repent and reform--but that would have the tendency to make them less judgmental and more tolerant.

• Wayne Rout El Paso, TX
    May 17, 2011 2:53 p.m.

I am a Mormon who grew up in another Christian church. I had many reasons for changing my religion, but not the least of which was the great example that many high profile Mormons in our society. It is hard for me to understand why people want to attack those who are doing good be they Mormon, Baptists, Hindu or Moslem, etc. I have my feelings about other faiths, but this I know, we are all better off when good people do good things. I wouldn't care if a hundred criminals became converted to become good Methodists and totally changed their lives...the world would be a better place. I think it is best to focus on those who make the world better and those who make it worse. We need more of the former and less of the latter.

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    May 17, 2011 2:48 p.m.

I bet you $20 this guy will be in the news for some kind of arrest in the future. I'm guessing either a gay prostitution sting, money laundering, or child porn.

These TV preachers, who prey on dim-witted rural folks, are almost always into those sorts of things.

• JohnJacobJingleHeimerSchmidt Beverly Hills, CA
    May 17, 2011 2:41 p.m.

I am no Beck fan, I think he preaches intolerance and contention. This Keller guy takes it to the next level which is even scarier. If it were not so scary I would say that Beck is getting some of what he dishes out.

I see and hear fellow LDS say absurd things about Islam or Jews etc and I shake my head. This portion of LDS people need to realize that if others hate ______, they will hate you too. Don't be part of the problem.

Chose to remove contention, judgement and a sense of superiority and you life will be better for it.

M. Russell Ballard, Quorum of the 12 Apostles:
    If we are truly disciples of the Lord Jesus Christ, we will reach out with love and understanding to all of our neighbors at all times.

Teachings of Gordon B. Hinckley [1997], 661, 665
    We must work harder to build mutual respect, an attitude of forbearance, with tolerance one for another regardless of the doctrines and philosophies which we may espouse. Concerning these you and I may disagree. But we can do so with respect and civility

• butters Salt Lake city, UT
    May 17, 2011 2:40 p.m.

atl134

i agree. i'm not a huge fan of beck but i haven't heard him tell america that he knew for a fact someone was burning in hell because they weren't christian.

it's interesting that bill keller picks on beck's faith. if you were to take away beck's faith, i bet he and keller see eye to eye on lots of things. i don't know of any sources or how to find this out (this is just me thinking out loud and someone feel free to correct me if i'm wrong) but i would think that beck's political views would be a huge bandwagon a lot of evangelical christian's would jump on.

from what was written in the article, it just sounds like mr. keller is one of those christian types who puts a monopoly on christianity. this is the type of "christian" that opponents of christianity love to make poster boys out of.

• LivinLarge Bountiful, UT
    May 17, 2011 2:37 p.m.

Bill Keller??? Never heard of him. Sounds like the kind of guy that if he ever had an original thought it would die of loneliness...

• nottyou Riverton, UT
    May 17, 2011 2:37 p.m.

Keller likes to follow the profit. I choose to follow the Prophet.

• milhouse Atlanta, GA
    May 17, 2011 2:34 p.m.

Won't he be surprised...

• eastcoastcoug Danbury, CT
    May 17, 2011 2:28 p.m.

I only aspire to go wherever Gandhi would go in the next life...

Someone please tell me the difference between the hate taught by Keller and the hate taught by the radical Imams who sent the men out to hijack four planes on 9-11.

Keller would have crucified Christ in his day, because he would have threatened his beliefs.

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    May 17, 2011 2:24 p.m.

This guy should do improv. He is that comical.
    Beck gets his money from sponsors who advertise on his show or networks who air his shows.
    I'll bet this fanatic lives the life of a millionaire by convincing his "sheep" to send him money in exchange for a "clear conscience" like so many other televangelists.
    This guy is more a follower of satan that anyone he is singling out. He should realize that when he points a finger at someone else, the rest of his fingers are pointed back at himself.

• Buffalo1 McLean, VA
    May 17, 2011 2:23 p.m.

This guy would make a great Klansman ....

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    May 17, 2011 2:16 p.m.

Of course Beck also attacks other Christian groups himself (recall his telling people to leave their church if they found "social justice" on their websites)... and reformed Judaism... and Islam... and kinda called a Hindu holy river "something that sounds more like a disease", but these attacks by Keller are beyond what Beck does.

• KM Cedar Hills, UT
    May 17, 2011 2:13 p.m.

A strange article. And the point is? Its obvious from the views that this guy holds that he is not playing with a 'full deck'. We should move on and ignore the ignorant.

• Mosesstone1980 Las Vegas, Nevada
    May 17, 2011 2:13 p.m.

I'm reminded by something Elder Maxwell once said: "..let us expect that many will regard us indifferently. Others will see us as quaint or misled. Let us bear the pointing fingers which, ironically, belong to those finally who, being bored, find the 'great and spacious building' to be a stale and cramped third-class hotel."
    He likely believes the hatred he spews. Ultimately, he will see things as they really are and as they really will be.

• Eddie Syracuse, UT
    May 17, 2011 2:10 p.m.

What's this guy's point.....besides the top of his head?

• Brahmabull sandy, ut
    May 17, 2011 2:10 p.m.

By the way, have any of you looked at his site? How in the world is he calling Back a scam on the christian community?? All his website is after is money. All he does this for is money. He is a scam artist who is trying to sell salvation. Talk about a cult following, surely he is a cult leader. Or a snake oil sales man. Or a smoke and mirrors type of guy. Whichever you prefer.

• JLFuller Boise, ID
    May 17, 2011 2:09 p.m.

People who think like this guy are all around us. That doesn't mean giving them a platform is always a bad thing. Sure some adore the spotlight and that is why they do this stuff. But the real reason is to show just how twisted their thinking is and how out of sync they are from Christ's teachings.

• Brahmabull sandy, ut
    May 17, 2011 2:06 p.m.

Yeah I am so sure that a televangelist with these claims is the right guy to use as an example. Even if the mormon church isn't 'god's one true church' I am 100% positive that this guy's following isn't truth either. A televangelist with a late night/early morning program, yeah must be the way to the truth. Wow what a fool.

• Jared Gainesville, FL
    May 17, 2011 2:06 p.m.

We shouldn't give this guy press time. He's not rational in his hatred of Islam, the LDS Church, or many other religions. He's been sacrilegious with LDS temple garments - wearing them at the end of one of his shows, taunting Mormons in the process. What a sad life he must lead, being so full of such hatred all the time.

• Tizon Lehi, UT
    May 17, 2011 2:06 p.m.

This preacher is an ex-con who spent almost three years in prison for insider trading. He preaches that Mormons are cultists, Muslims are pedophiles, and that Ghandi is burning in hell. The only thing more laughable and appalling about his hypocrisy and claim to being a Christian is the fact that there are actually people who listen to what he says. What a sad commentary about the state of intelligence in America.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    May 17, 2011 2:05 p.m.

"quasi-spiritual movement that makes him tens of millions of dollars by brainwashing the watered-down, compromised and Biblically illiterate Christian community"

Heh what is he arguing on the basis of... "takes one to know one"?

• What in Tucket? Provo, UT
    May 17, 2011 2:03 p.m.

This preacher thinks he is a Christian?

• Max Syracuse, NY
    May 17, 2011 2:02 p.m.

I would be very upset if this man ever complimented me. If I were Beck, I would wear this idiots venom like a badge of honor.

• Vince the boonies, mexico
    May 17, 2011 2:01 p.m.

I agree with this man on 1 thing and 1 thing only. His opinion of racist Beck is not alot different than mine, but as for the mormon religion he is terribly wrong in his beliefs and writings!

• CougarBlue Heber City, UT
    May 17, 2011 2:01 p.m.

That is a problem many self-proclaimed evangelists or ministers have they are angry people and denouncing anyone who does not believe "exactly" as they do. The scriptures talk about wolves in sheep's clothing. In my opinion his acerbic remarks are anti-christian. He most likely has never done any serious studying of the LDS religion or has he read and prayed about the Book of Mormon. Talk about false prophets, this guy is one of them.

• Iggle Salt Lake City, UT
    May 17, 2011 2:00 p.m.

Where does he get his inside info on Gandhi's eternal destination?

• goatesnotes Kamas, UT
    May 17, 2011 1:58 p.m.

Is Keller's true Christian message that everyone but him is consigned to hell? He needs deliverance from his misery.

• On the other hand Spanish Fork, UT
    May 17, 2011 1:57 p.m.

Keller is an ex-con. If Glenn Beck is exploiting Israel, how much more is Keller exploiting his particular brand of Christianity?

• Andy Cottonwood Heights, UT
    May 17, 2011 1:54 p.m.

We don't gain a thing by fighting, publishing or rebutting this guy's vitriol. Keller gets press by making the most extreme comments. I hope the DN doesn't continue to give him space on their pages or servers.

As for Glenn Beck, I think he is more than capable of handling Keller.

• El Chapin South Jordan, Utah
    May 17, 2011 1:49 p.m.

If this guy was to denigrate other religions (i.e. Judaism) the way he has Mormonism he would be ostracized. There is a double standard against used against Mormons.

• attentive Salt Lake City, UT
    May 17, 2011 1:49 p.m.

Maybe Beck and Huntsman are some kind of "new" Mormon. They can call themselves the PLDS - Political LDS.

• huggyface Murray, UT
    May 17, 2011 1:48 p.m.

He looks like the former tennis star John McEnroe.

He seems to act like him too.

• Kathy. Provo, Ut
    May 17, 2011 1:44 p.m.

And of course he sets himself up as the judge, what a laugh.

• Evets Eagle Mountain, UT
    May 17, 2011 1:42 p.m.

Keller must feel a need for more attention. Poor little man.

• Old Gregg Alpine, UT
    May 17, 2011 1:40 p.m.

He kind of looks like Will Ferrells character in Zoolander, Mugatu. "I'm a hot little potato right now! I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!"

• fresnogirl Fresno, CA
    May 17, 2011 1:36 p.m.

I've always wondered what it was there guys were studying ... it certainly wasn't my religion!

• nottyou Riverton, UT
    May 17, 2011 1:35 p.m.

"He also called Islam "a religion of hate, violence and death.""

This Keller guy sounds like a real hoot and a great example of Christianity...I'm all in! He sure has the hate thing down. I guess if this is an example of true Christianity, substance abuse doesn't look all that bad. I think the Bible says that all we have to do is confess the name of Jesus and we're saved. What is all the fuss about?

• mkSdd3 Ogden, UT
    May 17, 2011 1:33 p.m.

A Christian is anyone who proclaims to follow the teachings of Christ as contained in the Bible. Mormons follow Christs teachings. They base their religion on love, and helping their neighbors. Mormons also believe Jesus is the Messiah prophesied in the Bible, the Son of God, and the savior of mankind from their sins.

That all sounds like a cult to this guy?

The problem is that evangelicals are trying to redefine what a Christian is. They would like the term Christian to mean "some one who believes like me."

• Serious Rexburg, ID
    May 17, 2011 1:33 p.m.

He's just clamoring for attention!

• Zola South Oakland, CA
    May 17, 2011 1:31 p.m.

Thant's one angry white dude there.

• Zona Zone Mesa, AZ
    May 17, 2011 1:30 p.m.

Shame on Michael de Groote for giving this guy a forum. ... A terrible decision to give this guy publicity.

• mosbyjim Vernal, UT
    May 17, 2011 1:29 p.m.

Poor guy. Such a sad way to live your life.

• Pagan Salt Lake City, UT
    May 17, 2011 1:26 p.m.

Freedom of religion....

• Johnson72 Salt Lake City, UT
    May 17, 2011 1:23 p.m.

Awesome!!

• ute alumni Tengoku, UT
    May 17, 2011 1:22 p.m.

never heard of the guy. must have alot of spare time and a huge following.

• butters Salt Lake city, UT
    May 17, 2011 1:21 p.m.

i'd rather burn in hell with the likes of mormons, ghandi, muslims, hindus, budhists, and whatever else isn't under the mainstream stamp of christianity than spend an eternity in heaven with evenagelical chest pounders like this guy. at least i'd know where to go to get a good casserole.

• JohnJacobJingleHeimerSchmidt Beverly Hills, CA
    May 17, 2011 1:20 p.m.

I would encourage my fellow LDS to realize this. Anywhere you find someone who dislikes the ______ (Jewish, Muslim) religion, they will take aims at Mormons next. Do not be a stiff necked people and support hate mongers because you personally don't like a particular religion. We need to practice what Jesus taught and to love all people, no matter religious differences and reject people such as Keller.

Preaching hatred in the name of Jesus Christ will be dealt with by The Holy One Of Israel himself and he employeth no other servant.

If these people gain power will they will come for you too because they don'r believe that LDS are Christians.

Pastor Martin Niemöller:

First they came for the communists,
    and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a communist.

Then they came for the trade unionists,
    and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a trade unionist.

Then they came for the Jews,
    and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew.

Then they came for me
    and there was no one left to speak out for me.

• SoCalTrueBlue2 San Diego, CA
    May 17, 2011 1:20 p.m.

I am a Mormon, a Glenn Beck fan, and not a Harry Reid fan, but I am proud to belong to a Church where both conservatives and liberals can stand side by side in their adoration for Jesus Christ and his atonement, which is the core of our doctrine. Anyone who says Mormons are not Christians is a narrow minded bigot with an agenda, or an ignorant person who has bought into such nonsense.

• gmak Spanish Fork, UT
    May 17, 2011 1:17 p.m.

Well, this was good for entertainment - kind of like you'd listen to a comedian. Don't know how this guy gets anyone to believe him - he certainly doesn't know very many facts about the LDS church or Glenn Beck.
    I don't know where Beck is coming from with the Israel thing either, and he does sound more like a preacher sometimes than a political commentator.
    However, I have NEVER heard him preach Mormonism, only faith in God, and you choose what that means.
    But it was good read for a laugh!

• bigsoccer Syracuse, UT
    May 17, 2011 1:16 p.m.

I would like this guy to tell me what mormons believe since he knows everything about everything.

• Shaden Lincoln, NE
    May 17, 2011 1:15 p.m.

Those are pretty inflammatory words for someone who professes to be a follower of Christ.

• justcap Provo, UT
    May 17, 2011 1:11 p.m.

What a funny and angry man!

• George Bronx, NY
    May 17, 2011 1:09 p.m.

I am not a Mormon or a Glenn Beck fan by any measure but yikes this guy is a little extereme by anyones standards.