Sports

Utah Jazz: Ping pong balls can change NBA franchises

Comments

• Sokol Las Vegas, NM
    May 17, 2011 8:52 a.m.

Jan Vesely of the Czech Republic is very, very good, talented and a tough determined talent...If we could get this guy, think Tony Allan, with scoring ability.

• Utah Jazz fan Chris Clearfield, UT
    May 17, 2011 7:44 a.m.

@Kakashi

U forgot one thing...... Perry Jones and Harrison Barnes dropped out of the draft week ago!

• rvalens2 Burley, ID
    May 17, 2011 3:06 a.m.

One thing I forgot to add about Bismack Biyombo. He's only 18 years old and won't turn 19 until August 28th. That makes him younger than Favors.

In my opinion, Bismack is a very different player than Millsap. With his incredible athleticism and reach, he plays more like center and will be able to defend bigger players that, at times, have caused Millsap fits. Though only slightly taller than Paul, Biyombo is more explosive in and around the paint and doesn't back down from taller, heavier players.

Bismack does have some deficiencies. He doesn't have much of an outside shot, doesn't pass all that well and shoots only 53% from the foul line. However, because of his work ethic, I believe Biyombo will be able to remedy those problems within a couple of years.

It will take some time for Bismack to adjust to the style of play in the NBA but his upside potential makes him a reasonable risk at 6. The Jazz could do a lot worse.

• Kakashi Tokyo, Japan
    May 16, 2011 11:06 p.m.

i hope they trade both the 6th and 12th picks...for next year's draft...think about it..having 3 lotto picks..on a loaded draft...we could get Perry Jones and Harrison Barnes plus a PG...

• Captain L Provo, UT
    May 16, 2011 11:02 p.m.

I agree that Tobias Harris may be a sleeper, he sounds pretty good and he's one of the youngest players in the draft.
    Givony, for Draft Express, thinks the Jazz are interested in Donatas Montajunas, 7'0 PF with great offensive skills, I just worry about his motor, defense and rebounding. He is only 20 yrs old though.
    Watched some more video on Jonas yesterday, he looked better than I remmember, he could be good.
    I too think Jimmer would be a pretty safe pick, he is more than just a shooter, and I'll be real surprised if he doesn't show well at the combine.

• Bugoff Houston, TX
    May 16, 2011 10:38 p.m.

Millsap is basically Biyombo. But with Millsap you know what you have and you also have improving offense. Biyombo is not any taller than Millsap (maybe and inch). He might have 2 or 3 inches in reach but Millsap is getting better and extending his range.

Biyombo will have to dial back in the NBA just like Millsap has in order to stay out of foul trouble. Further, NBA PFs will still shoot over him.

Kantor could replace Okur.

The Jazz need SFs and SG/PGs who can shoot. They can dumpster dive for defensive guards who can't shoot.

They have GS's pick next year and that draft will be loaded.

Tobias Harris may be a sleeper. I was not impressed with Leonard in college. Knight should be a safe pick. I think Jimmer is a much better risk than many. There is at lot of risk once you get past the first 5 picks.

With Sloan gone is will be surprised if the Jazz pick another project big. There is no need unless you are planning on trading AJ or Millsap in 2 years.

The Jazz need good wings next year, especially if AK is gone.

• Howard S. Taylorsville, UT
    May 16, 2011 10:15 p.m.

The Jazz will manage to waste whatever picks the ping pong balls offer.

• Utah Jazz fan Chris Clearfield, UT
    May 16, 2011 9:37 p.m.

Look at Adam Morrison. 28.4 ppg as a junior and people (and I) thought that he was going to be a all star and superstar.

We were wrong.

But I see a sixth man of the year award for Jimmer

• rvalens2 Burley, ID
    May 16, 2011 9:36 p.m.

As for my earlier comment about Bismack Biyombo, if the Jazz can stash him overseas for a season or two (to let him develop) it doesn't really affect their Power Forward situation.

As I understand it, Bismack is still under contract with his current team, though I do believe the buyout is fairly reasonable (one million dollars?). If the Jazz draft him and decide to bring him over this upcoming season, it means they are likely going to trade away one of their bigs.

• rvalens2 Burley, ID
    May 16, 2011 9:34 p.m.

Here's another Ute fan who believes the Jazz should take Fredette with their 12th pick.

Why?

Jimmer's a tremendous outside shooter and has the ability to create his own shot. He also has a high basketball IQ. If there is anyone in the upcoming draft that can adapt to the NBA, it's Jimmer Fredette.

Besides ... at 12, he's about as good a choice as anyone else likely to be left on the board at that point. And if for some reason he doesn't mesh into the Jazz system, trading him shouldn't be a problem.

• Utah Jazz fan Chris Clearfield, UT
    May 16, 2011 9:19 p.m.

Superstar?!?!?!?!

U mean Jimmer in the same level as Derrick Rose, Kevin Durant, and Lebron James!!!

U people r crazy!!!

• CocoNutzz Salt Lake City, UT
    May 16, 2011 9:05 p.m.

3rd round?

It would be smarter if you try to learn something about the NBA draft before you post

• WhatsInItForMe Orem, Utah
    May 16, 2011 9:01 p.m.

I don't respond to trolls. Can't argue with closed minds. So, I don't try.

I'll reiterate: the only college player in the draft this year that has ANY possibility of becoming an NBA superstar is Jimmer.

All you have to do to see this is to have watched ALL of his games. Doing so lets you see patterns and what kinds of things he's capable of doing.

His so-called lack of defense was by design. No one else on the team could score consistently. So, Jimmer was protected from fouling out by minimizing his defensive efforts.

In spite of that, he still came in 4th in career steals at BYU. THAT can't be done by someone who can't defend, IMO.

Every team that passes on drafting Jimmer will in short time (a year or two) realize that they missed out on a superstar.

The kid is focused and has never failed at any level in his basketball life.

• Captain L Provo, UT
    May 16, 2011 8:51 p.m.

If the Jazz were to draft Biyombo it would mean they would try to move Paul or Big Al, Big Al's defense is poor, Paul's size causes him problem on D.

• Utah Jazz fan Chris Clearfield, UT
    May 16, 2011 8:19 p.m.

if utah somehow gets a top three pick, they should use it on Derrick Williams. He's athletic, has good size, and a great shooter, a great pick if jazz are getting rid of Kirilenko. Then take Alec Burks (Colorado) for the second pick because he has great length for a guard and knows how to score. Best comparison for Williams- Michael Beasley and Burks- Evan Turner.

Biyombo would be a good pick too, but we're stacked on PF's. Biyombo intangibles are not good enough to play the SF

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    May 16, 2011 7:53 p.m.

Can the jimer dunk?

• Markogarp Olympia, WA
    May 16, 2011 7:32 p.m.

Another Ute fan here that wouldn't mind getting Jimmer with our 2nd pick. Contrary to what some folks have been preaching, I believe he has the potential to be a 20+ point scorer in the NBA. The guy has range...yes, maybe a bit of a tweener, but his basketball IQ is off the charts...he will adapt, and his defense will improve. As far as their first pick, I agree if Biyombo is there, we should take him. The guy is a beast. I say if we are lucky and get at least the fifth pick, take Walker or Knight. One of them should be available, and we need a starting point guard for the future. Yes, Irving for sure if we got the #1.

• reggieaggie Logan, ut
    May 16, 2011 7:04 p.m.

Defense and rebounding win Championships! Jimmer does neither, drafting him perhaps in the 2nd or 3rd round would be smarter.

• Captain L Provo, UT
    May 16, 2011 6:37 p.m.

I'd love to see the Jazz get Jimmer with the 12th pick, with the 6th pick I have several picks that would be OK with me, Vesely as a long, tall, 3 man, would be a good choice, Leonard as an athletic, long, defensive 3 would be OK, he is working on his shot and is looking good. They could take Knight with the 6th pick and then they wouldn't pick Jimmer but if they don't take Knight with the 6th pick I'd hope they take Jimmer at 12.
    As far as a big man is concerned, I love Biyombo, I think he can be a star. The other big man that could be a nice choice is Jonas, I watched some more video of him yesterday and he was more impressive than I remembered.
    As a sleeper at the 12 pick I kinda like Tobias Harris, a talented, versatile 3 man from Tenn. It will be interesting to see what happens.

• UU32 Bountiful, UT
    May 16, 2011 6:16 p.m.

Ted H. - not sure how you feel it is OK to call people you don't even know classless and say that you "hate" them. Is that what you learned when you went there? Certainly not what I learned there as a grad student.

• CJ Miles Dallas, TX
    May 16, 2011 5:53 p.m.

The Jazz need to forget drafting a big man. They need to spend both picks on shooters or a least a point guard.

If Jimmer is there at #12 you take him.

• Ted H. Midvale, UT
    May 16, 2011 4:55 p.m.

UU32 - Yes from what I've seen you seem to be a great Utah fan. Unlike you, there are several byu haters who think they are so clever that they've pretend to be BYU fans only to say something ridiculous, hoping to paint BYU fans as foolish.

Childish you say? I know. Sad to see them represent your university in such a way. whatsinitforme is one of these ute gems who unfortunately for good fans such as yourself sure makes Max Hall look spot on.

whatsinit said "Jimmer is the only possible future superstar in the draft" hoping to paint all BYU fans as foolish. Don't worry though UU32, I won't assume that all Utah fans are classless drunks(I have seen you are better than that). Just those who pretend to be BYU fans.

• UU32 Bountiful, UT
    May 16, 2011 4:07 p.m.

Ted H - Am I missing somethign here? Whatsinitforme said that he thinks Jimmer will be a "possible superstar". Sensitive much?

If Jimmer is there at 12 - the Jazz should grab him. Jersey sales alone make this an excellent pick. He offers something the Jazz desperatly need -- outside shooting. He will adapt his game to the NBA. He played the way he did at BYU because he HAD to for his team to win. Beyond Jackson Emery and Brandon Davies - he didn't have much to go to. On the Jazz he'd have plenty of options. He also wouldn't have the pressue of starting right away. I would not of said this a few months ago, but now I say go with the Jimmer. Oh and Ted H. -- I'm a Ute.

• Ted H. Midvale, UT
    May 16, 2011 3:41 p.m.

Whatsinitforme,

I'm happy all things BYU upset you. I love knowing that with each of the 30+ wins BYU basketball had this year you curled tighter into the fetal position praying that coach Rose would take the offer.

WhatsInItForme(and countless others), proving max right one comment at a time.

Will be interesting to see who the Jazz land. Not that I'm convinced Jimmer will be a great NBA player, but I'd love to see the Jazz land him just to see you and other utes go into a tizzy.

• Brahmabull sandy, ut
    May 16, 2011 3:39 p.m.

Jimmer a future superstar??? Get real. That has exactly 0 percent chance of happening. He is too small to play point guard in the nba, and way too small to play shooting guard. He may be an average backup point guard, but that is it. He plays no defense. Bad pick unless it is in the second round.

• WhatsInItForMe Orem, Utah
    May 16, 2011 2:47 p.m.

I think Biyombo could be a good pick, but only AFTER securing Jimmer. Biyombo doesn't strike me as a future superstar, but maybe an all-star. Jimmer, on the other hand, is the only possible future superstar in the draft.

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    May 16, 2011 2:38 p.m.

Who cares how the Jazz do in the lottery? They're just going to blow their pick on a slow, white Eastern European center whose last name starts with a K anyway.

• rvalens2 Burley, ID
    May 16, 2011 2:25 p.m.

After doing a little research, I have to admit, I would be willing to see the Jazz gamble on Bismack Biyombo. True, they don't need any more power forwards but from what I have read and seen in online videos has convinced me he could be a real stud in a year or two.

The only way I can see the Jazz drafting a guard is if they happen to hit the lotto and win one of the top 3 positions; otherwise I'd like to see them take a serious look at drafting Bismack at 6 and a guard at 12.

Bismack physical stats are: 7'7" wingspan, despite measuring only 6-7 3/4" without shoes; weight 243 pounds. He's also extremely athletic, think Jeremy Evans with a much bigger frame.

The guy has a reputation for being an enforcer in and around the paint and will push himself to the point of sheer exhaustion when he plays. When was the last time we have seen that kind of work ethic in a Jazz player?

Bismack's worth the gamble.

• CocoNutzz Salt Lake City, UT
    May 16, 2011 2:15 p.m.

In My Humble Opinion | 1:41 p.m. May 16, 2011
    South Jordan, UT
    Here's hoping the Jazz win the lottery -- with their own pick.

Not with KOC going. We all seen how is face looked the year we got Deron.

• In My Humble Opinion South Jordan, UT
    May 16, 2011 1:41 p.m.

Here's hoping the Jazz win the lottery -- with their own pick.

• williary Kearns, UT
    May 16, 2011 1:20 p.m.

Have a hard time believing the Jazz draft 2 more bigs as that mock has them doing. Favors, Jefferson, Millsap. Pretty clear this team is hurting for help at the guard positions.