Sports

College rugby: BYU advances to final, Utah Utes lose to Cal

Comments

• BYU Rugby Forever New York City, NY
    May 17, 2011 10:59 p.m.

Great to see and hear a lot of excitement for the game! I'm hoping to see a packed house for what promises to be an epic night; it's gonna be craziness, folks, and you know that the Superfans will be there in full force ...

That's right, move over Cal fans! Make way for the loudest, proudest fans in college rugby, the BYU Rugby Superfans! BYU Rugby Forever!!!

• DEW Cougars Sandy, UT
    May 16, 2011 8:49 p.m.

BYU 512 - hedgehog zero! Mark it down! You read it here chris b.

• Striker Omaha, NE
    May 16, 2011 7:17 p.m.

Two best teams in the sport playing each other. Cal had the far easier opponent and BYU will play great against Cal. Hope that stadium is jammed packed!

• WA_Alum&Dad Marysville, WA
    May 16, 2011 3:04 p.m.

With the short commute to the venue, the altitude, and the (hopefully) very loud and enthusiastic home-town crowd, the Cougars will have a rare opportunity to whack the Bears. Would have loved it to be a thumping of the Utes in a Freeway Classic, but alas, they didn't come through in the clutch.

Come on Cougar Nation--Make Tinto rock this weekend! Show 'em what our fans are all about!

• BlueCoug Orem, UT
    May 16, 2011 12:18 p.m.

Snark

You can catch replays anytime on ESPN3.

I've watched a handful of matches on television, but I've never been to a live rugby match. We bought 10 tickets last night and we're looking forward to an epic battle between the two best teams in collegiate rugby.

• Snark Provo, UT
    May 16, 2011 11:44 a.m.

Thanks for the 11 hedge (110% more than I expected from you)!

BYU is also undefeated. This will be another epic battle. I am sick to be out of town on the 22nd. I will also be beyong the reach of my laptop or ipad. I will be looking for the replays (win or lose). Best of luck!

• COUGARNATE Lyman, WY
    May 16, 2011 10:57 a.m.

BYU fans need to sell out Rio Tinto Stadium, and cheer the Cougars onto their second National Title in Three years!!!!! Go COUGS!!!!!

BYU-31
    cal-26

• fresnogirl Fresno, CA
    May 16, 2011 10:43 a.m.

Congratulations! Good luck in the Championship game!!!

• royalblue Alpine, UT
    May 16, 2011 8:34 a.m.

Eddie Would Go

"I don't doubt that BYU fans showed up in masses when they played SC in the Coliseum. BYU always draws very well.

But how did the game turn out?"

A muffed punt and early interception helped spot USC 21 points in the first quarter, BYU put a scare in to fourth-ranked USC, scoring 18 un-answered points to get within three points with four minutes remaining, cutting USC's lead to 21-18. BYU's defense played solid, holding USC to just 71 yards rushing, while intercepting three passes and sacking Leinert four times. A long kickoff return and a couple of big passing plays put USC back up 28-18. On the next play, USC intercepted a Berry pass at the BYU 11, and USC scored on the next play to make the final score 35-18.

Still a respectable showing for a Gary Crowton era team on the road against the team that finished #1 in both polls and won the AP national championship.

• Ragnar Danneskjold Bountiful, UT
    May 16, 2011 7:57 a.m.

Maybe I missed it, but what is BYU's record? Why does Cal play so many more games (or is it that the Utes played very few games)?
    Good luck to BYU on Saturday, they will probably need a little luck. But they will have the crowd on their side. Cal sounds pretty dominant though, as always I guess.

• Hawk Littleton, CO
    May 16, 2011 7:46 a.m.

Unfortunate yellow card against Davies on Saturday -- tough one to avoid. But gotta keep him in the game to have a chance against Cal. The kid makes the game fun to watch -- very intense competitor, great athleticism, very Rugby-smart, and just seems to love every minute of the game.

Go Cougs.

• Eddie Would Go FPO, AE
    May 15, 2011 11:37 p.m.

Scenic view,

But how did the game turn out?

• Utah'95 FPO, AE
    May 15, 2011 11:32 p.m.

Good luck, Cougars.

• Cougarista Salt Lake City, UT
    May 15, 2011 9:21 p.m.

Michigan vs. Utah - Not ever happening. Mark it down.

• panamadesnews Lindon, UT
    May 15, 2011 8:58 p.m.

Hedgie, hows ridiculous can you be?

• lasermann Orem, UT
    May 15, 2011 6:22 p.m.

Cal 62
    Utah 14

Marked It Down!

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    May 15, 2011 6:02 p.m.

Cal 343
    BYU 11

MARK IT DOWN!

• Koke Spanish Fork, UT
    May 15, 2011 5:44 p.m.

I watched both the Ute and BYU games. Cal was positively dominating and played practically error-free ball. BYU appeared very capable, but not as smooth as Cal. I would like to believe in the excuses that there was bad weather, and they were probably playing a much better team than the Utes, but if the Y wants another national championship in Rugby, they are going to need to bring better game than yesterday. I would love to see it.

And yes, Dave Duncan, you know me too!

• lasermann Orem, UT
    May 15, 2011 5:42 p.m.

Fantastic win after a slow start! I'm heading to Rio Tinto Saturday ... who's with me?

• Where's Stockton ??? Bowling Green, OH
    May 15, 2011 4:05 p.m.

@Scenic View
    Utah will have a very good fan base there in the Colliseum...it's just that it well be hybredized with more BYU fans and former BYU students than dyed in the wool utey's. After all a lot of us are big Whittingham and Chow fans. It's not all just about the teams you know.

• scenic view Baltimore, MD
    May 15, 2011 12:58 p.m.

The last time BYU played USC in the Colliseum, BYU fans filled one entire end zone for a regular season game. We'll soon find if Utah really has the fan base they purport to have.

That should be an exciting game in Rio Tinto on Saturday. Cal is the gold standard for collegiate rugby, but if any team can challenge the Bear's dominance, it's BYU.

Go COUGS!

• BlueCoug Orem, UT
    May 15, 2011 12:46 p.m.

Dave Duncan

BYU lead at the half 16 to 8 and extended the lead to 19 to 8 early in the 2nd half. BYU had two players yellow-carded in the 2nd half and ended up playing about 20 minutes of the 2nd half with a one-man disadvantage.

ASU cut BYU's lead to 19-15 midway through the 2nd half and threatened to take the lead when they moved deep into BYU territory but BYU forced a turnover, then drove for another score to extend their lead and then put the game away on a turnover and breakaway to go up 36-15 and seal the win.

You can still watch a replay of the match on ESPN3.

I don't know much about rugby, but it was a fun match to watch. My son and I are planning on going to the match in Rio Tinto this Saturday.

And yes, you know me.

• Where's Stockton ??? Bowling Green, OH
    May 15, 2011 12:33 p.m.

@Wynn and lose
    Even better... "What??? I can't hear you Wynn... What's the play?" Now that's the phrase that Wynn will be hearing a lot of come Sept 10th over the noise that 92,516 people minus a couple thousand silent Utah fans will be making in Memorial Collesium. Hope he's got a good strong voice for audibles. And I'm sure Wynn will still be thinking about Montana State from the week before. Now that's going to be a wake up call...if there ever was one.

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    May 15, 2011 12:18 p.m.

Congratulations Cougars. I only wish your opponent was the Utes this Saturday instead of Cal, but good luck and I hope you win.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    May 15, 2011 11:49 a.m.

[I think we will be hearing the phrase "...Cal dominated Utah..." over and over again the next few years. Don't you?]

Maybe you should hold off until after BYU plays Cal before commenting just to make sure the same doesn't happen to you. After all it's not like Utah is some crap team in this sport. But hey, good luck.

• Wynn and lose Cougarville, Ut
    May 15, 2011 10:31 a.m.

@ Where's Stockton:

Great win boys. Good luck on sat.

• Wynn and lose Cougarville, Ut
    May 15, 2011 9:45 a.m.

@ Where's Stockton:

I think we will be hearing the phrase "...Cal dominated Utah..." over and over again in the coming years. Don't you?

Great work boys. Get the W on sat.

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    May 15, 2011 9:19 a.m.

How could the Cougars possibly end up in a national championship game of any kind??

h-hog?? Chris B?? - (crickets, crickets).

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    May 15, 2011 8:50 a.m.

I watched the game? match? online at the link the dnews supplied. I really enjoyed it. I think I'm going to go this coming Saturday with my sons. It should be fun.

• Dave Duncan Orem, UT
    May 15, 2011 8:28 a.m.

Come on DNews. Where's a description of the game, rather than just the result and info about the overall situation.

Who scored?
    Was it ever close?
    What were the key moments in the game?

• Cosmo Springville, UT
    May 15, 2011 6:48 a.m.

Go Cougs!

• Where's Stockton ??? Bowling Green, OH
    May 15, 2011 6:34 a.m.

Ok Hedgie...give us a rundown. What happened to the utey's?

• TruBlue Salt Lake City, UT
    May 15, 2011 4:22 a.m.

Watched the match late last night here on the East Coast. Great work boys! Beat Cal!

• Dadof5sons Montesano, WA
    May 15, 2011 1:34 a.m.

Go BYU!

• skywalker Palo Alto, CA
    May 15, 2011 12:40 a.m.

Congrats Cougars!

It's going to be fun seeing BYU play Cal for the national championship at Rio Tinto.

• BluCoug Provo, UT