Opinion

Jay Evensen: Is it OK to celebrate Osama bin Laden's death?

Comments

• Christy Beaverton, OR
    May 9, 2011 12:50 a.m.

Sure... bin Laden was killed back in 2001, the Muslims are to blame for all the problems in the world, and Trump/Palin will win in 2012.

Also, the moon is made of green cheese. And I am the Queen of England.

• anti-liar Salt Lake City, UT
    May 8, 2011 12:35 a.m.

It is okay to celebrate justice when served and to celebrate Freedom and the preservation of Freedom.

• SpanishImmersed Mesa, AZ
    May 7, 2011 11:26 p.m.

No need to show a photo of a dead Osama to enrage the muslim fundamentalists, the photos of the Lafayette Park celebration have done that.

• Mr. Bean SLC, Utah
    May 7, 2011 8:24 p.m.

"Is it OK to celebrate Osama bin Laden's death?"

Would it have been OK to celebrate the death of Hitler back in 1945?

What folks, especially our leaders, refuse to understand is that Osama is Muslim. He dresses as a Muslim, he has multiple wives allowed by Islam, he invokes Allah's name, the Muslim God, he prays in a Muslim Mosque, and the most important distinction is that he takes his instruction for the Koran and the Hadith. And his followers do likewise.

We need to face facts that the Muslim religion is the cause of most of the turmoil in the world today. The sooner we do that the sooner we can begin to solve the world's problems and reduce the conflict we found round the world.

• Anti Bush-Obama Washington DC, MD
    May 7, 2011 1:30 p.m.

Umm.. Bin Laden was involved in 9/11 but he was a patsy. Th real masterminds were the US government who wanted to do this so that they could take away our rights and go into wars in the middle east and not get flack about it. Bin Laden was CIA up until his dying day back in 2001. Did you hear about the number 2 guy in al CIAda dining at the pentagon weeks before 9/11? Probably not.

• residualblue Chubbuck, ID
    May 6, 2011 8:24 p.m.

I can't fault people for celebrating. I think that it's more of a celebration because of relief that a very dangerous man isn't a threat to us anymore. I don't think it's right to celebrate the death of someone, even as scummy as bin Laden. But I feel very relieved that he's gone. I won't celebrate it. Fresnogirl brings up a good point though. Righteous people don't rejoice in violence. But I'll totally celebrate the end of violence!

• jsf Centerville, UT
    May 6, 2011 5:07 p.m.

Screwdriver | 4:25 No Obama didn't get on a carrier and make a dumb statement, but he sure is running around for the same kind of photo opps.

• Screwdriver Casa Grande, AZ
    May 6, 2011 4:25 p.m.

Well Schoeder, I suggest you get yourself over to the middle-east to talk to the 10% of muslims that want to kill us all (whaaa aaa aaaa). We have at least 10% haters here too.

I'm just glad Obama didn't dress up like military ken and say "mission accomplished" like Bush did after NOT getting Osama.

Huge difference in leadership there huh? HUGE! HUGE! as clown Trump likes to say.

• UtahBlueDevil Durham, NC
    May 6, 2011 2:09 p.m.

"Brother Chuck Schroeder" - you don't tell things as they are, you just tell things as you perceive them. You are not the arbitrator of truth, sorry to break it to you.

But as one known by a few here as what they have decided is a "liberal" or worse, if I were a drinking man, I would have raised a tall one to the man meeting his demise and being sent on to his judgement day. I feel horrible that his wife and children has to witness it - and I would not wish that on my worst enemy - and seeing as he pretty much met that qualification, I do not wish that on his family.

But yes, I am very happy that he is no longer here to spread his brand of hatred. Had he spent his millions really helping his followers through education and the like, they all would have been on their way to better lives. Instead, he choose to blame others for his condition, and made many innocents pay the price.

He is now off to pay his own price - and for that - I am unashamedly happy.

• BobP Port Alice, B.C.
    May 6, 2011 10:52 a.m.

His eternal reward will be well deserved.

• gizmo33 St. George, Utah
    May 6, 2011 9:22 a.m.

is it ok to celebrate OBL's death ? yep !

• Moderate Salt Lake City, UT
    May 6, 2011 7:41 a.m.

Rejoice not when thine enemy falleth, and let not thine heart be glad when he stumbleth.
    Lest the LORD see it, and it displease him, and he turn away his wrath from him.

Proverbs 24:17-18

• ljeppson Salt Lake City, UT
    May 6, 2011 6:56 a.m.

I voted for Obama knowing full well he intended (and pledged) to kill bin Laden. So I can't very well criticize those who celebrate. Neither can any other Obama supporter.

• Serenity Manti, UT
    May 5, 2011 9:55 p.m.

When I heard about the shooting of Osama bin Laden, I didn't believe that he was dead. As the news about the courageous actions of the Navy Seals and the many years of CIA activity came to lite, I sort of believe it. But as for cheering from the rooftops? I think not. He is dead and that death is was long deserved. But just as I wouldn't stand at cheer at any execution, I won't cheer about this death. The repercussions are forthcoming. We entered a sovereign nation without their foreknowledge or permission which, at the least is unlawful, and at the most, an act of war. But for now, we can be quietly glad that Osama bin Laden is no longer a threat to the United States. He may not have been for a long time because he was very sick with kidney failure, nevertheless, he is dead. Now, what do we do about the home foreclosures, the ailing economy, high gas prices and etc. Perhaps we should put as much effort into fixing our country.

• DC Alexandria, VA
    May 5, 2011 8:18 p.m.

Hate to say it, but I will. Most of the people in front of the White House last week were college kids who would not have been there if there was a GOP President.

• Cwolf Orem, UT
    May 5, 2011 6:40 p.m.

• Brother Chuck Schroeder A Tropical Paradise USA, FL
    May 5, 2011 6:28 p.m.

Oh I just have to add in my 2 cents worth, and tell the uncensored truth. Is it OK to celebrate Osama bin Laden's death?. Well I'll tell you then Jay Evensen, Deseret News. Perhaps not in a politically correctness world, whereas if we did we may offend some Muslims. But I'm not politically correct, I tell it like it is because no one else will. Did you know 10 percent (that's over 100 million people), of the 2.6 Billion Muslims, want to kill us all, like they do daily in Jerusalem ?. 18 percent more believe in suicide bombings. Why should we care how we buried him or where he head was pointing, you tell me. All true American's should celebrate Osama bin Laden's death 24/7/365. Plus we should ask where the millions of dollars come from to build all these muslim mosque's all around America, along with where are all the sleeper cells hidden at here to. Ya think?.

• nordlie1 silver spring, md
    May 5, 2011 6:21 p.m.

To ask if it's okay means your soul spirit - your gut - your intuition tells you No! and should be abided.

Love thy enemies right?

Therefore but for the grace of God go I? and last but not least:

The bible said no matter what the dead person did in life you should not condemn him after death because you both have something in common: you too will be dead.

Celebrating death is condemnation too.

• metamoracoug metamora, IL
    May 5, 2011 6:20 p.m.

An analogy: 35 years ago, as a teenager, I read a lot about Lake... Erie. At the time, it was on the verge of ecological death because it was being used as the toilet bowl of the US & Canada. Untreated industrial chemicals, raw sewage, and personal (from individuals) waste was constantly being dumped into it. Fortunately, there were a few people who cared enough to act. Today, the lake is not as sullied. The sources of pollution have been cleaned up or eliminated. It is not as pristine as 400 years ago, but it is no longer an imminent ecological disaster. Do I feel sorrow that those sources of pollution are gone? Do I mourn the absence of raw sewage being dumped in the lake? Of course not. In fact, I rejoice that the water is cleaner.

Likewise, I do not feel to mourn that Osama bin Laden, a spring of moral putrescence, is now absent from the world. I feel to rejoice that this source of so much human suffering, the cause of so much misery to so many people, is eliminated. I am not ambivalent. The lake is cleaner because this pollution is eradicated.

• youtes taylorsville, utah
    May 5, 2011 6:11 p.m.

NO WAY!!! Seriously?! Who celebrates someone's death?! It's not right. Just listen to Rashard Mendenhall.

• rickdoctor Chandler, AZ
    May 5, 2011 5:52 p.m.

I cannot imagine that there were 'celebrations' when those two bombs were dropped on hiroshima and nagasaki -- or any other killing in war -- but then the that particular war stopped -- war is 'hell on earth', and most people realize it, at least so-called civilized people -- and don't be so naive as to think that osama bin laden was 'solely' responsible for 9/11 -- the way things work ties economy and economic development hand-in-hand with wars, so don't be naive about that either, read history, all wars have economic bases, and many people actually benefit ('get rich') from wars -- atrocities are committed in the name of war -- perhaps man kind are exposed at their worst in times of war, and then we create 'heroes' out of war -- I am pondering if perhaps war is the greatest enigma of man's existence -- man has been 'celebrating' aspects of war since recorded history -- or perhaps we need to make a special 'definition' of 'celebration in war' just the same as we do not consider 'killing' in war to be 'murder'-- we are a strange animal for sure...

• one vote Salt Lake City, UT
    May 5, 2011 5:45 p.m.

Concerning the comment about Obama, the war hero, using this to get re-elected. Bush-Cheney used this tactic as if they were the only ones that could protect the country and how afraid we should be of attacks if their opponent was elected to defeat Kerry. This was going to be the main plank again...until Sunday.

• Aggielove Junction city, Oregon
    May 5, 2011 5:07 p.m.

Did they celebrate when folks died in the bible?

• yarrlydarb Ogden, UT
    May 5, 2011 4:59 p.m.

For me the question as to whether anyone's death should to be celebrated (at least for all those who profess to be Christian) is found in Matthew 5: 43-48.

The words in this passage are attributed to and believed to be those of Jesus Christ Himself.

If you wonder what they say, look them up and see.

• Teafortwo salt lake city, utah
    May 5, 2011 4:48 p.m.

Earl @ 11:42- What planet are you on? "OBL has never been directly conneced to the events of 9/11". He has, in fact, repeatedly admitted his involvement and praised the perpetrators as heros of Islam.

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    May 5, 2011 4:39 p.m.

Anti Bush-Obama | 1:07 p.m. May 5, 2011
    Washington DC, MD
    It's funny. People use bin ladens 10 year dead corpse to strengthen Obamas failing approval ratings. They won't even release the supposed photos that they say that they have. They are also tightening security and and radically expanding everything related to that. This was just a stunt. They didn't kill bin laden at all. He was already dead.

===============

HaHaHa

Tell me, what size Tin-Foil-Hat do you wear?

and Area 51 has bodies of aliens who crashed landed,
    and JFK isn't dead,
    and neither is Elvis,
    and neither is John Wayne,
    and neither is Hitler!

Seriously, didn't the Deseret News just run an Opinion Letter with someone on the Right accusing those of us on the Left as being the most gullible?

• Dadof5sons Montesano, WA
    May 5, 2011 4:35 p.m.

I think it is 200 percent ok to rejoice in the death of one evil man. the world is a better place with out OBL. He chose his fate when he planed the bombing of the world trade center in 1993, the boming of the embassies in kenya, the deaths of the us Army rangers in Somalia, the bombing of the USS Cole in Yemen. the carring out of september 11th 2001. All those people that died at his hands did not chose their fate. so yes his death is very much to rejoice in. Not in a blood lust way, more of thank heaven this person is no longer a threat to anyone on earth and his maker will judge him accordingly.

• Christy Beaverton, OR
    May 5, 2011 4:23 p.m.

Liberal Ted | 11:12 a.m. May 5, 2011

Is it okay that muslims and anti-american people celebrated around the world on September 11, 2001? I didn't see headlines asking that of us? Instead we gave charity and donations to those same nations when a Tsunami hit them. Is it okay for these people to be soo disrespectful of us and our culture?

Instead of getting off their lazy butts to work or to improve their circumstances, they seek every possible way to bring down those that help them.

=============

Wait. What? People in Indonesia cheered what happened on 9-11?

AND they're 'lazy'?

• jcperine Draper, Utah
    May 5, 2011 4:21 p.m.

It is a necessity to celebrate the death of a Muslim foe. It is apparent that death celebration is acceptable behavior to them based on their behavior relating to the death of American civilians and military personnel. It is what they perceive as action of strength. Approaching our Muslim foes from a position of strength is the only way to garner their respect and dissuade them from future terrorist activity. Remember, they are not Christians and view he world differently than a peace loving view. That is another reason to show the Muslim world the photos of their slain hero so they can get one last good look at the end of their hero. The graphic evidence is needed to convince them that Americans will be relentless in bringing people like this to a conclusion of their evil activity.

• the cost of freedom salt lake city, ut
    May 5, 2011 4:14 p.m.

heck yeah , they cheered when they killd the indians yet none of em even knew an indian...they cheered when they killd the black man along with the chinese who really built the railroad...they been cheering all the way thru ...why stop now?

• Teafortwo salt lake city, utah
    May 5, 2011 4:00 p.m.

Was it okay for the Munchkins to celebrate the death of the Wicked Witch? The mind reels with the moral dilemma.....

• Phargo Rexburg, ID
    May 5, 2011 3:54 p.m.

The physical threat to safety and security does not end with the death of Osama bin Laden. As tragic as the events of 9/11 and others attributed to him are, they do not represent the greatest harm we have allowed him to inflict upon our society. Bin Laden has no more power over those who choose to follow him, or feel threatened by him, than what they allow. Broken families, broken communities, and broken economies are the result of a self-centered and irresponsible society. These are the real threats to our world and they are our responsibility. These do not excuse the brutal acts his followers have chosen to perform. Yet the disenchantment they feel with the world and their place is real and preyed upon by the power and meaning his organization provides- however demented.

I remember 9/11. Osama bin Laden will face the full justice he avoided in this life. However, we remain as great a threat to ourselves as we did before he died.

• Teafortwo salt lake city, utah
    May 5, 2011 3:53 p.m.

Yes, it is okay. It should be a national holiday. However, Barack Obama should not be allowed to use it as part of his re-election campaign. Oh, wait. He already has.....

• Jonathan Eddy Payson, UT
    May 5, 2011 3:30 p.m.

Chanting and cheering like a bunch of Islamic "death to infidels" radicals is a classless, shameful display of barbaric behavior. I thought Americans were better than that. Frankly, I'm embarrassed when I see it.

• thinkin4myself Washington, UT
    May 5, 2011 3:16 p.m.

It somehow seems barbaric to cheer and rejoice over the death of a human being. But the alternative, mourning his death, seems implausible. In the case of Osama, perhaps instead of mourning his death, we have, for the past several years, mourned his choice to embrace evil and inflict it on the world.
    Right now, I would hope that we are celebrating the end of that evil more than the end of someone's life.

• 2 bits Cottonwood Heights, UT
    May 5, 2011 3:09 p.m.

Thriller 2:52

I think I agree with what you said. I'm THRILLED he's gone. It is an ounce of retribution (though I don't think that should be our ultimate goal). Our ultimate goal should be to insure that this never happens again. When all is said and done... I don't know that my life has changed significantly since OBL was found and retired. I guess we'll never know if his capture/execution made a difference. IF... he was planning more attacks... finding and eliminating him has a REAL impact on my life. If not... it doesn't. Then it's only vengeance. And that shouldn't be the goal.

But bottom line... I give President_Obama, our military, and our intelligence agencies HUGE profs for finally getting this job done.

The only difference between me and MOST of the people giving President Obama cred for getting this done is... I can acknowledge that President_Bush took the SAME COURSE as President_Obama (with SOME people... party_partisanship keeps them from acknowledging that). I acknowledge that Obama has been more effective than Bush was. But he stayed Bush's course.

• Thriller Saint George, UT
    May 5, 2011 2:52 p.m.

I think it depends on your definition of "celebrate." I am incredibly thrilled that OBL is dead. It has lifted my spirits and relieved weight from off my shoulders. I think it is okay to be happy the man is dead, afterall, that is the reason we were over there to begin with.

I don't necessarily think it's prudent nor wise to be out in the streets carrying on the way the other side does everytime they obtain a victory. Words like "Never forget" and "Quiet dignity" come to mind when I think of the death of one of the most evil men to ever walk the earth. Flying the flag or wearing red, white, and blue are great ways to celebrate America and American victories. We don't need to tear down in order to build ourselves up.

We should strive to be an example to the world, not stoop to some of its levels. Should we celebrate in our hearts and minds? Yes. Should we take to the streets dancing and mocking? Probably not.

• Concerned in Clinton Clinton, UT
    May 5, 2011 2:43 p.m.

VE/VJ Celebrations were because the war had come to an end. This war is no where near being over.

I cannot understand the justification that it is okay for us to do it because they did it. We are no better than those that danced in the streets after 9/11 if we do the same because in their eyes we (Americans) are worthy of death.

Jesus said to love our enemies and do good to them that wish us harm. I for one am glad that photos have not been released and that burial rites were performed. Did he deserve them? No, but we are better than that and gave him dignity and respect because that is the Christian thing to do.

Although not a fan I applaud the President's actions in these matters. Now please do not politicize this Mr. President.

• jsf Centerville, UT
    May 5, 2011 2:26 p.m.

Well there it is. I sank to the lowest level of civility, I celebrated the end of Osama. Like those that celebrated the sinking of the Bismark, the Yokahama, the winning of the battle of midway, and other great battles, which were accompanied by the death of thousands. This is one of many battles being fought against a Wahhabism culture with only one desire the defeat and annihilation of the enemy, western culture and religions. Each battle won I will celebrate. And the greatest celebration will be at the end of the war.

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    May 5, 2011 2:25 p.m.

I don't believe it is ever okay to celebrate the taking of a life or the death of any person. It is sad that the taking of life becomes necessary to protect ourselves and our freedoms. Christian principles teach that life is sacred and should only be taken in the most extreme circumstances and then only with remorse.

• Rutland vs. Medfield Seattle, Wa
    May 5, 2011 1:59 p.m.

To Caseyjonesing | 12:59 p.m :

To think that you know the truth about Bin Laden's non-involvement in 9/11 betrays delusion on your part. It is simply impossible for you to do independent research and come up with your conclusion.

Neither you nor "Earl" are part of the US/NATO intelligence community. Neither, I suspect, have travelled to the mountain regions along the Afghan/Pakistani border to conduct interviews with tribal leaders and members of Al-Qaeda. Nor have you visited GITMO or any of the other suggested CIA interrogation facilities in the Middle East and Eastern Europe in an effort to glean your evidence independently.

No. Instead, you have YouTube videos and conspiracy websites operated by those adorned in tinfoil. Your mothers must be proud.

Since I have done neither of those activities either, I will accept our intelligence community's word that the leader and chief financier of the al-Qaeda terrorist network was indeed involved in 9/11.

• aggiegal Layton, UT
    May 5, 2011 1:57 p.m.

I guess celebrating someones death is ok, but no like it's 1999.

• Madden Herriman, UT
    May 5, 2011 1:43 p.m.

@Barack

If the terrorists had just announced they were finished warring with America, then I would be out on the streets celebrating. One man was killed - the war continues, more Americans will die (both soldiers and civilians), and while we have struck a blow there is much more to be done. Celebrate if it suits you I suppose, but this feels nothing like the end of a war to me.

• Flashback Kearns, UT
    May 5, 2011 1:43 p.m.

I gloated a little, and Earl is not the brightes bulb in the building. Osama admitted he was the one who ordered what happened on 09/11, many times. His involvement is not iffy at all.

• Madden Herriman, UT
    May 5, 2011 1:37 p.m.

Chanting "USA, USA" after our brave military takes out a terrorist is bad judgment, immature and not representative of the values most people proclaim.

We didn't watch our team win an Olympic gold medal here, we learned about the demise of a horrible human being who would have us all killed. It is a moment of gladness for justice and remembrance of those who are dead because of this evil man.

• Silly Rabbit Magna, UT
    May 5, 2011 1:37 p.m.

This article isnt about "if" 9/11 happened or if "OBL" was killed the other night. This is about should we celebrate OBL's death, well that is such a personal question, I for one didn't, but am I glad he is gone. Well if he is responsible for what he has been accused of, well yea of course I am glad, but there was no trial, no jury, and no judge in his case.

Well this master terrorist is gone, I am glad that he will never influence someone to harm another person again. But to celebrate death, well I for one had to take the higher road and did not.

• Democrat Provo, UT
    May 5, 2011 1:34 p.m.

Another way to examine our motives on this issue is to ask if it had instead been announced that "Osama Bin Laden had been captures by Navy Seals in Pakistan and is currently locked up at Ft. Leavenworth", would we have not seen the same outpouring of joy? Of course we would. We celebrate not death per se, but a tremendously difficult military victory.

• 2 bits Cottonwood Heights, UT
    May 5, 2011 1:29 p.m.

Furry1993 12:51

Our military (under President Bush) turned Tora Bora into an inferno trying to get BinLaden there... it just didn't work. But don't say we didn't even try!

Are you dealing in FACTS? Or just your own revisionist_version of what actually happened in the battle of Tora Bora?

Google "Battle of Tora Bora" and read the Wikipedia account of what ACTUALLY happened there... in case your memory has slipped into rhetoric-ville.

Our military did EVERYTHING THEY COULD to get BinLaden there. We turned those mountains on FIRE trying to get him.... Somehow we didn't get him... but DON'T pretend we didn't even TRY, or that Bush called us off! or as YOU put it, "chose not to" get BinLaden in Tora Bora. Saying Bush "chose not to"... is just NOT TRUE.

===

Caseyjonesing 12:59

You may find this uncivil but... you sound like those birthers or a 9/11_truth conspiracy_theorists. Trying_to convince_You is_a waste_of_time. No amount of FACTS are going to overcome your loosely_contrived conspiracy_theory of BinLaden being framed for 9/11.

Obviously BinLaden WAS involved. He said so himself. For one... Google "BinLaden 9 11 confession (2001 video)"

• Shawnm750 Lehi, UT
    May 5, 2011 1:25 p.m.

@2 bits & Furry1993 - I don't know how it is that you 2 (and many other Americans, I'm sure) seem to think that this was something that was JUST decided. The NY Times, along with various news outlets, have pointed out that this operation was the result of years of surveillance and other efforts to track Osama down. If you want to blame someone for not "pulling the trigger" when he had the chance, blame Bill Clinton, who had the opportunity when he was president. He said in his own autobiography he didn't do it because he feared that the public outcry would be too great. And that was BEFORE 9/11 happened.

I too have been disconcerted by the "celebrating" that's taken place. I'm glad Osama is dead, and don't feel ANY remorse for that. But the images I see of Americans shouting and waving the flag remind me of those from hostile nations who've celebrated our tragedies. I'd prefer to see more solemn reflection on the lives we've lost because of this man, than jubilation over his demise. As a nation, we should be a better example.

• williary Kearns, UT
    May 5, 2011 1:11 p.m.

While not celebrating in the streets myself, I do not have an issue with much of the celebrating being done by Americans. Of course there will be some who go overboard, happens with everything. This man was THE face of terrorisim. Whether he truly earned that by being the mastermind of every terrorist activity over the last 2 decades, who knows. But one things for sure. Terrorist groups around the world looked at this man as an inspiration, and a leader. That in itself proves the importance of getting this target.

Although it was the death of this man that led to celebrations, what I really believe Americans are celebrating is the hope that this turns the tide in the war on terror. An end to a very dark chapter in the history of this country.

• cjb Bountiful, UT
    May 5, 2011 1:09 p.m.

The unabomber was turned in to law enforcement by his brother. He turned him in to save lives and for justice sake. He said turning his brother in was difficult because he loves his brother but he realized it was the right thing to do.

The christian standard is to love ones enemies. By this standard it is wrong to celebrate Bin Ladins death. This because people dont celebrate the death of people they love.

• Anti Bush-Obama Washington DC, MD
    May 5, 2011 1:07 p.m.

• Caseyjonesing american fork, UT
    May 5, 2011 12:59 p.m.

2 bits | 12:42 p.m.

Do you have sources for those facts? The only evidence I have ever been able to find that links him to the attacks is the 1 video, and the man in the video looks nothing like Osama. I am an evidence man myself, I believe where the evidence points and I would gladly reconsider my view on 9/11 and the war on terror if I could find actual evidence. Most people nowadays will believe whatever the mainstream media says, people need to do INDEPENDENT research, like I have, and I would gladly discuss my research with anyone as long as they stay civil.

• Observation-ist Ogden, UT
    May 5, 2011 12:59 p.m.

NO, we should not 'celebrate' the killing of Bin-Laden. In my view, the word celebrate is accompanied by pomp & circumstance, by loud expressions of exhuberance and pleasure. I feel no need to revel in Bin-Laden's death. I certainly don't feel like throwing a party.

On the other hand, I do feel satisfied and glad he can no longer orchestrate or inspire terrorist behavior. The feeling or thought of 'good ridance' seems appropriate.

This whole discussion should spill over to whether or not, as a society, we celebrate or are 'happy' when someone is put to death (Death Penalty). For a long time, I was a proponent of the Death Penalty because I viewed it as a deterent, not as a suitable consequence. I have since concluded that it's not a deterent and Life Without the Possibility of Parole is significantly cheaper.

However you feel about the death of Bin-Laden, I would hope that doesn't include a celebration or the feelings of throwing a party. He's gone. Good-Ridance. I'm just very sad that anyone (including him) could become so evil and behave so wickedly towards other people.

• Barack Obama Phoenix, AZ
    May 5, 2011 12:59 p.m.

The Nephites did rejoice in their victories which is what I feel when I think about the US taking out Osama. I rejoice in our victory. It's a small strategic victory in the War on Terror but sends a big message to the rest of the world. Some may be dancing on his grave with a sense of revenge but I celebrate and am happy because we're winning. We're one step closer to ending the whole darn war and THAT is worth celebrating.

I keep thinking about the iconic photo of Times Square in 1945 with people celebrating the surrender of Japan and end of WWII? Was that wrong? We just slaughtered hundreds of thousands of Japanese people only days earlier. Was everyone in a blood-thirsty revenge filled frenzy? Nope. They were celebrating victory as am I with Osama's departure.

• DEW Sandy, UT
    May 5, 2011 12:51 p.m.

A brief celebration was okay and after that - back to life. I didn't celebrate but raised my eyebrows when the news came out about bin laden which was about time. I was not one of the victim when it happen on 9/11/2001 but sadden about that day. Now we still have to watch our back for more terrorist. My wife went to London with her two sisters for vacation when another nightmare was about to happen and they shut down the airport. Nothing is safe anywhere at anytime.

• Furry1993 Somewhere in Utah, UT
    May 5, 2011 12:51 p.m.

To 2 bits | 12:29 p.m. May 5, 2011

One of my (many) complaints about Bush arises from the fact that he had the opportunity to do this very thing at Tora Bora when the Afghanistan war was very new, but he chose not to.

President Obama accomplished i slightly more than two years whet Bush could not (or perhaps would not) accomplish in more than seven years. Thank you, President Obama, for having the guts to give the order to take down OBL.

• Democrat Provo, UT
    May 5, 2011 12:48 p.m.

I celebrated the news because I considered it a great military victoryone over an enemy that has eluded us since the 1990s. When Americans celebrated the good news from Appomattox, Midway or VE or VJ day, they were not exulting in the deaths of millions but were grateful for important milestones that entailed major riskand yes, death.
    I celebrated but did not consider it a celebration of one mans death per se. For example, I dont celebrate when notorious killers are executed. But I do celebrate when notorious killers are caught or otherwise neutralized by the police. What our intelligence, Navy Seals and civilian command did was actually a major coup: to find the worlds most wanted man deep within a sovereign nation and then pull off a daring raid that stopped the man who was responsible for numerous terrorist attacks.

• 2 bits Cottonwood Heights, UT
    May 5, 2011 12:42 p.m.

Earl | 11:42 a.m.

you said, "OBL has never been directly connected to the events of 9/11". That's bunk!

BinLaden HIMSELF claimed responsibility for the attacks. His involvement was corroborated by MANY AlQaeda operatives and leaders questioned in captivity AND in freedom, by the United States and many others (including his own lieutenants, and media interviews with AlJaseera). The Organization he LEAD claimed responsibility for the attacks! And was PROVEN to be the group that planned and carried it out. You don't think he even KNEW... or was even CONNECTED to what they did??? WOW!

You seem to be able to completely convince yourself of ANYTHING that serves your agenda.

You remind me a lot of the birthers mind_set. Straining to ignore the obvious in their efforts to accept the more loony possibilities of the ALTERNATIVE to reality.

BinLaden wasn't even CONNECTED to the 9/11 Attacks??? What a ludicrous and untrue assertion!

• RantBully Bend, OR
    May 5, 2011 12:36 p.m.

In 1980, when President Carter had this nation depressed with a poor economy, the USA hockey team defeated the Soviet Union ultimately leading to the gold medal. This event was uplifting as a younger, weaker and less skilled hockey team defeated the representative of the great evil in the world -- Communism. When I saw the celebration in front of the White House, I remembered this hockey victory and the great joy it brought to Americans. Why can't Americans celebrate something significant that has been achieved after 10 struggling years costing many American lives? All of this comes during a similar low point in American history. Go ahead and celebrate because this country needs something to uplift it and bring back American pride. I hope the critics can find humility to thank the many individuals who have sacrificed to bring Osama Bin Laden's death to reality. Do you chastise them when they celebrate their military victories? The problem is when the death finally takes place that was wanted, many are confused because our ethics are challenged to admit such a death was desired. It is hypocritical to celebrate in your home (internally) but not publicly.

• DH48 West Jordan, UT
    May 5, 2011 12:31 p.m.

I was very disappointed to see those celebrating the death of Bin Laden. Justice was served but there was nothing there to celebrate. When I heard the news of his death I teared up. The tears were over my feelings of finally having justice served and my fears of what will happen next. When we saw Muslims celebrating after 9/11 we were shocked and saddened but really, last Sunday night, some of us showed the world that we were no more humane, no more civilized.

It doesn't matter what others do. I expect this country to somehow be above the inhumanity of others. I regret what others chose to do but I cannot control that and I have to give them their right to live their lives But I disagree with them very strongly.

• washcomom Beaverton, OR
    May 5, 2011 12:30 p.m.

I'm glad that the reign of that terrorist is over, but I have that "mother's heart" - one that thinks of another mom when her child has died. It's a bitter-sweet day for the USA. Bitter, because it took so long to get here. Sweet because he is no longer able to manipulate others.

But - be watchful. This is not over, by far. We still need to be vigilant and watch for other possibilities. Don't let your guard down.

• 2 bits Cottonwood Heights, UT
    May 5, 2011 12:29 p.m.

I think it's OK to celebrate. I'm happy, but not celebrating in_the_streets... celebrating death is not my style. I'm not going to criticize anybody for celebrating. Because I understand_and_agree with what they're feeling and trying to express.

But I'm pretty sure the extreme_left, and the students dancing in the streets would be COMPLAINING_bitterly, and Cindy_Shehan would be camping out on Bush's doorstep, if BUSH had approved unilateral military_action in a country that's supposed to be our ally, and executed a kill_order on an unarmed_man.

-Why isn't Cindy_Shehan camping out at Obama's Chicago_home? Because she's political_theater.

-Why isn't ANYBODY protesting? (as they would if BUSH had done this)? Because it's about politics, following the media's lead, and instructions from YOUR party. They say, "PROTEST"... you protest. They say "CELEBRATE"... you celebrate. But only if a President from YOUR_PARTY does it.

That's bogus... Be consistent.

What just happened is a GOOD_thing. And I congratulate Obama for having the guts to give_the_order to take_him_out when we finally got the chance. But obviously if BUSH had done_the_same... The reaction would be COMPLETELY different.

Be CONSISTENT... that's all.

• Caseyjonesing american fork, UT
    May 5, 2011 12:24 p.m.

To In Arizona: I agree with earl, if you disagree could you please state the evidence that proves it was in fact osama bin laden? And to make it clear I am not saying he is a good guy because he is an evil terrorist but the evidence just Isn't there.... There was 1 video of him supposedly taking blame but have you watched the video? I watched it just 10 minutes ago and have to say that in my opinion, that was not osama bin laden... Looks waay to different.

• Screwdriver Casa Grande, AZ
    May 5, 2011 12:20 p.m.

It's only that so many are incapable of putting themselves in other's shoes. If there were muslim army bases and a muslim equivelent of Israel between Canada and the US supported by Muslim countries then you may have an idea that there would be many "red blooded chritian americans" that would be opposed.

We're still mad a Cuba for goodness sake while best buddies with China and the USSR. No, we would not support an "enemy" base anywhere close to us.

I don't agree with 9/11 of course , but then I don't agree with out 1000X stronger retaliation and killing of innocent people in Afganistan and Iraq either. One man's terrorist is another man's patriotic freedom fighter.

Another post asked for honesty. Be honest. We would be outraged if there were a foregn army base anywhere near us and people would be violent about it.

• DAG Sandy, UT
    May 5, 2011 12:16 p.m.

"But it also is their collective view of right and wrong, of evil and moral dignity, that will carry the nation into its future"

What that future looks like will be determined by the decisions those 20-somethings make today in relation to their fellow man in all the world. These celebratory demonstrations tell me that some are not taking a moment to consider who they are and what they stand for. It's easy to hate your enemy which leads naturally to rejoicing in his demise. Where does that end though? How far will it be taken? It's a slippery slope in my opinion. I feel much more peace and power exerting my energies to "love my enemies" than to hate them. That is to say, I believe Bin Laden should have been executed for his crimes against humanity, however, celebrating or rather rejoicing in his death should be avoided by all moral and civilized societies. Following this principle, I believe, would help preserve the moral view of right and wrong which the next generation desperately needs to lodge into their collective conscience.

• In Arizona Mesa, AZ
    May 5, 2011 12:14 p.m.

To Earl: Really?

• xscribe Colorado Springs, CO
    May 5, 2011 12:08 p.m.

Nice to see that most of the posts so far have the same feelings I do, and it's nice to see that, for the most part, Liberal Ted stands alone in his "celebration." I believe that most people, like me, are not sad to see Osama gone, but cannot actually stand up and celebrate death.

• BH Tremonton, UT
    May 5, 2011 12:06 p.m.

Thank you Jay, for such a well thought article. The quotes, that remind us of values that all who claim to have a strong moral foundation should be able to relate to, were a good reminder of who we are.

It is shocking to hear those who justify celebrating OBL's death because "that is what our enemy does". Have we not progressed at all beyond the "eye for an eye" emotion? Aren't we better than that? Haven't the American people been saying that we are better than the hatered that creates terrorism?

Should we feel great relief, in knowing that (contrary to totally inaccurate claims by Earl above) a man directly responsible for planning and authorizing the death of thousands of American citizens will never again be part of such a terrible event? Yes, I believe so.

But celebrating death? No. Not unless we have become what we are trying to root from the world.

• Mike Richards South Jordan, Utah
    May 5, 2011 12:04 p.m.

Why do we treat cemeteries with respect? Isn't it in part because we all know that a cemetery will finally claim all of us?

Recently, I visited the little cemetery in the town where I grew up. As I wandered up and down the rows, almost everyone I had known so many decades ago was buried in that cemetery. Everyone had passed beyond their days of probation, beyond the time that they could easily change their character, their attitude, their desires, their appetites and their passions. The people in that cemetery were good people, hard working, caring, sharing people. They bore their burdens quietly. They helped each other when the burdens were too heavy to bear alone. They went to their rest knowing that they had tried hard and lived the best they knew how to live.

That's not the case with bin Laden. For him, there will be no rest, no peace, no tranquility. He will be assaulted by the tormentors. That is not something to be celebrated. Those who have a Christian heart will not celebrate when an evil man receives ultimate justice, whose fate is much worse than death.

• mkSdd3 Ogden, UT
    May 5, 2011 12:03 p.m.

I for one will not be celebrating his death. No matter how evil he was, he was still a brother, a lost soul that will stay lost. To me that is sad.

I also will not think less of anyone that feels inclined to celebrate. Neither reaction is wrong. I don't think that celebrating the death of a mass murderer makes someone good or bad.

Some will cry, some will laugh, some will be happy, and others will be sad. But none of them will be wrong just because they are feeling emotions.

• fresnogirl Fresno, CA
    May 5, 2011 11:54 a.m.

Admittedly this is a Mormon point of view, but I look at the examples from the Book of Mormon. The Nephites (when righteous) never celebrated killing the Lamanites. They did it because they had to in order to protect themselves, but they never gloried in it. I can't bring myself to glory in it either. I only hope that this will bring an end to the war and our troops can be sent someplace safer.

• Blue Salt Lake City, UT
    May 5, 2011 11:50 a.m.

Was invading Pakistan to find and kill Osama bin Laden the right thing to do?

Absolutely.

Is a public celebration the right thing to do?

Absolutely not.

Remember how angry we were when we watched the news of small groups of Mulsims, mainly kids, celebrating the 9/11 attacks? They were a tiny minority of Muslims, but seeing those images made me want to vaporize the Arab world.

Fortunately, that emotional impulse only lasted a few seconds and I then thought better of it.

Look, America already makes enemies faster than we can kill them.

Let's not make matters worse.

This whole sorry issue makes me think of Mark Twain's "War Prayer."

• Timothy Benton City, WA
    May 5, 2011 11:46 a.m.

We should absolutely celebrate the demise of this foul creature who masqueraded as a human being...Why we have to be dignified is just beyond me..Are we a nation full of Chamberlain,s who feel that we must understand our adversaries angst and discontent to rationalize their deviant actions...Good people will differ on this but I say good riddance to an emissary of Satan and a hearty welcome to his return to his former spiritual home...I just cannot accept that a just and loving God could have created such an evil spirit...

• Earl Sandy, UT
    May 5, 2011 11:42 a.m.

By the way, OBL has never been directly connected to the events of 9/11. He was almost certainly involved in other terrorist activities and deaths, but the 9/11 connection is dubious at best. But apparently we don't let inconvenient facts like that get in our way of believing what we want to.

• byronbca Salt Lake City, UT
    May 5, 2011 11:41 a.m.

I think more than anything else people are celebrating the end of an evil era.

Bin Laden is evil incarnate, his death is celebrated because the world is now a better place without him in it.

• Caseyjonesing american fork, UT
    May 5, 2011 11:40 a.m.

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Hate multiplies
    hate, violence multiplies violence, and toughness multiplies toughness in a descending spiral of destruction....The chain reaction
    of evil--hate begetting hate, wars producing more wars--must be broken, or we shall be plunged into the dark abyss of
    annihilation." Martin Luther King, Jr.
    To make the world a better place, we should never celebrate death, no matter who it is....The tears of any mother are the same as any other...

• ShaunMcC La Verkin, UT
    May 5, 2011 11:28 a.m.

Thank you for clarifying where the quote attributed to Dr. King actually came from. I still agree with the sentiment. I can not and will not celebrate his death, even though I feel it was necessary. Evil has to be confronted and stopped but we do not need to rejoice over the death, damage and sorrow that is created in the conflict. I do not judge those who do celebrate. I know many (and their loved ones) have been damaged or killed by the work of terrorists. Their joy at justice served is understandable. I am just glad for the conclusion of one chapter and hope that the next chapter is not as troublesome or expensive.

• Earl Sandy, UT
    May 5, 2011 11:23 a.m.

The assassination of OBL opens the floodgates to further murderous acts. The United States has long prided itself on resisting the impulse to engage in assassinations of notorious figures until lately, at least overtly. Now that it's out in the open and celebrated, we can "look forward" to more of the same. Who's next? So much for the rule of law. Our government-paid assassins are now judge, jury and executioners. Celebrating this event is revolting.

• Henry Drummond San Jose, CA
    May 5, 2011 11:22 a.m.

I was doing consulting work in New York the week before the attacks. I stayed at the Marriott Hotel at the World Trade Center. Some of the people I worked with were killed in the attacks a few days later. When I saw the destruction on TV I took it very personally. Still, like many people, I'm not sure how to react to Osama bin Laden's death. I'm glad he's gone but can't celebrate. Maybe that's the difference between us. We kill to protect ourselves and preserve life, not because we revel in it.

• Liberal Ted Salt Lake City, UT
    May 5, 2011 11:17 a.m.

Is it okay when the enemy dances around burning US soldiers bodies and broadcast it on television and the internet for the world to see?

Is it okay when the enemy beheads journalists on tv?

Is it okay when the enemy beheads civilians on the internet?

Is it okay for them to burn the US flag, while taking our money? I haven't heard obama complain about that. Yet he is upset when Republicans take stimulus money that he forces down everyones throat.

Is it okay for the enemy to make death threats, and tell us what they plan on doing to us and our women and children?

The answer to all of this is no.

But 15-20 years having to sit there and watch them celebrate over the murders of Americans. I think we can celebrate this one.

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    May 5, 2011 11:15 a.m.

Is it "OK"....Yes.

Is it the right thing to do...No.

CTR

• Liberal Ted Salt Lake City, UT
    May 5, 2011 11:12 a.m.

Yes it is okay to celebrate the death of a cold blooded murderer. I think his followers should see what happens when you follow a nut like him. Will it help? Probably not.

This is a fight to the finish. The enemy has made that clear. If they want to fight that way, it's not the first time this nation has had that fight. Are we willing to see this out? I hope so. This is an enemy that won't change it's mind. They want to die. It's up to us to accomadate them, before they kill US citizens.