Sports

Doug Robinson: Sports world gives us plenty of opportunity to form a grudge

Comments

• onewhoknows Providence, UT
    May 14, 2011 1:55 p.m.

in stitches,

If you can schedule teams like Buffalo, Chicago State, and South Florida then I think you can squeeze in USU. I would love to see a home and home every year between USU, BYU, and Utah. That would be much more entertaining (and crowd drawing) then these teams they bring in from wherever to beat up on.

• El Ingreso St.George, Utah
    May 12, 2011 12:18 p.m.

Collin,

The only think more hilarious than Banker is your reply to him. Seriously.

• In Stitches Provo, Utah
    May 12, 2011 10:12 a.m.

The Utes won't schedule you because they are rebuilding and in the "Conference of Champions."

Rose probably doesn't want to lower his SOS by scheduling you.

• onewhoknows Providence, UT
    May 11, 2011 9:19 p.m.

So any mighty Ute fans want to answer my question as to why your "mighty" team won't schedule USU in b-ball? Surely you can crush your "little brother". In fact USU had a hard time getting Rose to schedule them next year.

• man of few words Salt Lake City, UT
    May 10, 2011 11:46 a.m.

Banker

What does MY team being good have to do with YOUR fans acting like your team is better than mine or the one down south? Don't hide behind our skirts. Plenty of us find your yapping annoying too.

• Collin Card Provo, Utah
    May 10, 2011 11:44 a.m.

Banker,

First of all, thank you for so beautifully illustrating my point about Utah State fans!

Secondly, you will notice that plenty of Utes on here have expressed exactly what I did in regards to you and your ilk.

Finally, I think it's HILARIOUS that your defense is that Utah is good in football. I don't think anyone (BYU or U of U fans) who have stated that your ilk are annoying have disputed that! We are saying that YOU act as though YOU have anything to brag on! That is what is so sad, annoying and funny.

• Banker St. George, Utah
    May 10, 2011 11:24 a.m.

Well, if we're going by history, then the Utes have the best winning percentage of their bowl games compared to BYU. And I never said Utah State had the best athletics program, but I can tell you that Utah definitely does.

Go Utes and Aggies!

• man of few words Salt Lake City, UT
    May 10, 2011 10:17 a.m.

Banker

Sorry to burst your bubble, but your statement is too ridiculous to ignore. Like them or not, BYU has a NC trophy, Heisman trophy, Davey O'Brien trophies, Outland trophies and plenty of Superbowl rings being worn by former players to make your statement laughable.

Perhaps you are too young to remember that stretch from 1972 to 1992 when BYU beat Utah all but twice in football. And since our Head Coach played for BYU, most Ute fans aren't going to belittle their program. What's YOUR record against them? I mean, congrats you beat a very uncharacteristically bad BYU team last year (which you would not have been able to do later in the season), but other than that? Back up your statement.

• Deep Thoughts Salt Lake City, UT
    May 10, 2011 10:04 a.m.

Banker

Nope, plenty of Ute fans feel that way as well. But you are right about one thing ... outside of Utah nobody considers you a "little brother," because outside of Utah nobody thinks of you at all!

• Banker St. George, Utah
    May 10, 2011 9:47 a.m.

In Stitches,

Only in the small world of BYU is Utah State considered a little brother. Utes and Aggies know that BYU is truly the most overrated college athletics program in Utah history.

• Collin Card Provo, Utah
    May 10, 2011 9:42 a.m.

DixieAggie

It's not your "little school" that is annoying, it's the fans who are constantly pounding their chests and screaming for attention.

• Aggie238 Logan, UT
    May 10, 2011 12:21 a.m.

This is why I love distance running and/or Olympic sports in general. No real celebrities, just a bunch of guys who are 10x better raw athletes than any of the guys you see in the NBA, NFL, etc. Most of them don't need to try and prove it off the field. And really, you've got a beef with Usain Bolt? Please...just because a country is poor and tiny doesn't mean a whole lot. They don't have a boob-tube to distract them from sprinting, so of course they're better at it than anyone else. Besides, I'm pretty sure they can't even afford steroids. Same deal with Kenya in the marathon.

We Americans are too busy sitting on our fat butts eating cheetos and watching some halfway athletic tall and/or big guys hopped up on 'roids and testosterone trying to prove they're something because they can do tricks with a ball to actually get off our duffs and do something that takes REAL work and REAL physical prowess.

• In Stitches Provo, Utah
    May 9, 2011 4:08 p.m.

DixieAggie

Nope, you guys are little brothers (with delusions of grandeur).

• onewhoknows Providence, UT
    May 9, 2011 7:26 a.m.

I love to hear Ute fans calling out USU fans. If we are "nipping at your heals" then why won't you put us on your b-ball schedule? Surely you will have no problem squashing us.

• DixieAggie St.George, Utah
    May 7, 2011 8:14 p.m.

Wow. I'm pretty surprised that USU, a "little school", could garner so much griping attention. Utah State is a great school and definitely one of the best in the state. Commentators calling USU "little brother" are more likely the ones need more growing up to do.

• just-a-fan Bountiful, UT
    May 6, 2011 2:32 p.m.

When you live and work in a small market like Salt Lake and realize you could never make it in the big city like New York or LA (ask Gordon Monson), it is easy to hate the teams from those cities. Otherwise, pretty entertaining artcile. Note to Des News: Don't pull my comment when he fired the first shot.

• Jazz Cop San Francisco, CA
    May 6, 2011 9:41 a.m.

I resent being scared that I could get fined if I say something honest about Dstern.

• Jazz Cop San Francisco, CA
    May 6, 2011 9:38 a.m.

the nba making apologies for blown calls at the end of playoff games, when it is a fact they have refs who have fixed games a fact that has been brushed under the rug, and yet the league continues to trot out there the worst referring imaginable. Watching an out of position referee make an important call then seeing the refs huddle like the three stooges and keep the call anyway even though it is the wrong call...

• Ernesto de Bajo Albuquerque, NM
    May 5, 2011 9:16 p.m.

Good list and funny column, Doug.

Other candidates?
    Dennis Rodman
    Reggie Bush
    Latrell Sprewel

• OrlandoJazzFan Winter Springs, FL
    May 5, 2011 8:41 p.m.

You left off your list our FAVORITE NBA player to HATE - Derek "let me out of my contract please" Fisher.

• shaybo Richfield, UT
    May 5, 2011 7:18 p.m.

Spike Lee and Jack Nicholson are almost as annoying as Ute fans.

• Striker Omaha, NE
    May 5, 2011 4:07 p.m.

How about classless USU fans who dream to beat BYU in any sport? They are as bad as Iowa State fans who dream to beat Nebraska at anything. I love those little schools no one cares about who have the classic little brother syndrome. They are so ANNOYING. Grow up kids!

I for one am intrigued by Miami. Who else has thought to bring 3 super stars together to try to win a championship? I think it's an awesome idea. They have the talent to do it, even if it takes a few years. I want Miami to win the East. Actually, remember how Boston brought together Pierce, Allen, and Garnett? I don't remember people crying about that situation.

For me, it's fun to see people get so riled up about sports. I'll say I have teams I don't care for, but I learn to control my hate. Why spend your life hating? Seems like a waste of a life if you ask me. It's fun to see how so many people follow others in starting to hate a team. People are so shallow and clueless, and it's hilarious to watch!

• Real Bass Idaho Falls, ID
    May 5, 2011 2:47 p.m.

How bout that Boozer in chitown...what a playoff twit.

• BrianDavis1326 Clearfield, Utah
    May 5, 2011 2:33 p.m.

Well, in an effort to bring some positivity here, I wouldn't mind seeing the Mavs do well. I despide Kidd, but Dirk is probably my favorite non-Jazz player in the NBA. He's big, tough, and almost always healthy. He competes hard and physical on the court, but seems like a humble guy off it. I've never understood the flack he gets from the media. The guy is one of the few that I actually enjoy watching.

• Ute Fan In Utah West Jordan, UT
    May 5, 2011 2:20 p.m.

I vote MiP's 1:57pm post, best post of the day.

• MiP Iowa City, IA
    May 5, 2011 1:57 p.m.

I still hold a grudge to Michael Jordan's little league coach.

Why?

If he would have had better fundamentals in baseball he might have stayed with that sport from 1994 on. That way he would have never returned to the Bulls, thus giving the Jazz the championships in 1997 and 1998.

Oh, and Boston fans.

• Target Provo, Utah
    May 5, 2011 1:51 p.m.

A certain University with 3 head basketball coaches. Guess where all that new Pac money is going? ... I guess they can hire and fire a couple of more now!

• Cougarista Salt Lake City, UT
    May 5, 2011 1:50 p.m.

Want to find class? Go to RES with a BYU shirt on at a ute game. Then do the reverse at LES. The difference? Priceless.

• Captain Caveman Provo, Utah
    May 5, 2011 1:49 p.m.

BCS loving hypocrites who will now defend to the death the monopoly they despised a year ago. You know who you are!

• Jack Winters Provo, Utah
    May 5, 2011 1:48 p.m.

The Utah "fans" who last year said they were glad to leave BYU in their rear-view mirror, but still can't quit obsessing and trolling every single BYU article.

• Owl Salt Lake City, UT
    May 5, 2011 1:47 p.m.

How about throwing rotten fruit at Kyle in RES when he played for BYU?

• Collin Card Provo, Utah
    May 5, 2011 1:46 p.m.

Classless San Diego State fans who (in their desire to be relevant -- "The SHOW") constantly display poor sportsmanship instead.

• Collin Card Provo, Utah
    May 5, 2011 1:40 p.m.

Aggie fans who think they are great. Let's face it, if there was actually something to do in Logan, most of your fans wouldn't even show up.

Stop talking smack!

• In Stitches Provo, Utah
    May 5, 2011 1:38 p.m.

Hypocritical "fans" who hated the BCS last year but are in love with it this year. Way to stand for your "convictions"!

• Katiebugg Salt Lake City, UT
    May 5, 2011 1:36 p.m.

San Diego State fans! Hands down are the worst.

• Deep Thoughts Salt Lake City, UT
    May 5, 2011 1:34 p.m.

San Diego fans: you can ALWAYS count on them to be classless crybabies.

• man of few words Salt Lake City, UT
    May 5, 2011 1:33 p.m.

How about Aggie fans who act like they are the dominant team in Utah while constantly yapping at U of U's and BYU's ankles? Give me a break!!!

Medium duck in a tiny a pond.

• BYUdude North Salt Lake, UT
    May 5, 2011 1:17 p.m.

Every single sports organization in the state of Texas. "The lone star state", more like the "lone likable team state".

• Bitterman west jordan, ut
    May 5, 2011 11:59 a.m.

How about the utah cheerleader who beat up the byu fan and later transfered TO byu to finish his degree...

• Ibleedcrimson Cottonwood Heights, UT
    May 5, 2011 11:26 a.m.

"How about the BYU fan getting beaten up by the Utah cheerleader?"

Dude that's really not something to brag about, better to let that one fade into history!!

• carabaoU Moab, UT
    May 5, 2011 11:06 a.m.

Colorado

• common sense 11 Lehi, UT
    May 5, 2011 11:04 a.m.

How about both the U and BYU fans and their ongoing never ending annoying struggle to nowhere.

• Ute Fan In Utah West Jordan, UT
    May 5, 2011 10:57 a.m.

How about people who have nothing better to do than complain?

• Hondo Springville, UT
    May 5, 2011 10:50 a.m.

How about the BYU fan getting beaten up by the Utah cheerleader?

• WhatsInItForMe Orem, Utah
    May 5, 2011 10:34 a.m.

Both Utah and BYU generally have great fans. However, there are duds as fans at both universities.

The difference is that UofU gets stuck with the drunken dud fans because those types simply can't follow a school that doesn't believe in drinking. THAT's why the U's fans overall get the bad moniker so often--the few bad apples spoil the bunch.

BYU's dud fans are just stupid people, not drunks.

• Fed Employee Lehi, UT
    May 5, 2011 10:28 a.m.

How about a coach's son assaulting a fan at Lavell Edwards?

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    May 5, 2011 8:37 a.m.

How about assaulting a coaches wife and family at Lavell Edwards?

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    May 5, 2011 8:08 a.m.

How about the bottle-throwing Coug fans at Lavell Edwards?

• International Cougar Fan Tacoma, WA
    May 5, 2011 7:35 a.m.

How about rock throwing Ute fans at Rice-Eccles?

• Eddie Would Go FPO, AE
    May 5, 2011 7:22 a.m.

I'm a lifelong Ute fan. You do the math....