Utah Utes football: U. program raising the bar

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    May 5, 2011 8:48 a.m.

@magna ute fan

Don't misinterpret my lack of respect for a large percentage of utah "fans" as being over sensitive. The difference between me and you is I am willing to be honest, brutally so. You know as well as I do there is a fairly large percentage of utah "fans" that are simply pathetic haters of Mormons and they bahave in an extremely low class manner. You tolerate it because you want to see the stadium filled but if you have any sort of self respect you would never associate with those people in real life. I find it very interesting that the utah fans that are LDS are so willing to gloss over the bigotry and despicable behavior of this segment of the utah fanbase. I can tell you I would never tolerate it in a reverse situation.

Just another glaring difference between the two groups I suppose.

• Utah'95 FPO, AE
    May 5, 2011 12:32 a.m.

Justmy thoughts,

I think what you meant to say was "money isn't everything and I HOPE Utah is going to find that out the hard way."

• Justmythoughts Richfield, UT
    May 4, 2011 9:04 p.m.

Here's what I don't get...Yes, now Utah is going to get a gazillion dollars for their sports programs by being a member of the PAC-12....From what I can tell...it hasn't helped Washington State, Washington, Arizona State, or the other lower tier PAC 12 teams.....Money isn't everything and I think Utah is going to find that out the hard way.

• Magna Ute Fan Magna, UT
    May 4, 2011 3:11 p.m.

It's best not to try to reason with Duckhunter. He's a very sensitive little fellow. He has been overly traumatized by the mean utah fans. It has really had a sad affect on him. Just let him live comfortably in the blue bubble.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    May 4, 2011 11:55 a.m.

@mormon ute

Are you claiming utah lead the mwc in attendence? That is easily proven to be false so you may want to revise that before I embarrass you with facts.

As to the rest of it I feel no jealousy towards utah, or even dislike toward the school. I certianly feel disdain for a large precentage of utahs fans as they are classless low lifes. I generally consider you one of the 1% that is a decent person but if you were honest with yourself you would admit that a huge percentage of utahs "fans" are simply not people you would ever associate with, or want to be associated with, in your life. You tolerate them because without them utah really only has about 20,000 actual fans and they help give the program the illusion of an actual fanbase but the truth is they are mostly motivated by hate for BYU and Mormons of which you are one.

I've documented on here before the bigoted remarks towards Mormons I have heard and been subjected to at res but if you want to ignore it then go ahead.

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    May 4, 2011 10:39 a.m.

You words are just hollow reflections of the jealousy you feel toward the team the led the MWC in attendance last football season and will have one of the highest attendance percentages in the the PAC-12 as well. So sad to see you sink to this level.

• aggieblue Saint George, UT
    May 4, 2011 10:08 a.m.

To all:
    I did not go to the Y or the U, USU was the best for me. Size, ability to meet one on one with professors and a little more relaxed living atmosphere. I don't hate either the U or Y, I wish all of the utah schools success, for us as residents. I also don't aquaint any of the schools as being LDS or non LDS. There are good members at all of them as well as so many other schools through the country. Why bring the religion of one verses another into the conversation about sports.

Lavell Edwards was asked about the pass from McMahon to Brown, whether God was involved in the influence or outcome of the game. His answer was simple, "He hoped that God had more important things to do than watching and being involved in a football game." Something for all of us to think about.

As to who is better, we all have our opoinion, personally, I would hope my aggies were in the mix, but no one seems to mention them in the power structure. Oh well, I still love them and my experienced in Logan.

• Aloha Saint George Saint George, Utah
    May 4, 2011 9:33 a.m.

Utah's new philosophy makes me a little nervous. As the saying goes, 'Don't throw the baby out with the bath water." I feel Utah is one of the top three programs in the west as it is. (Oregon and USC are the other two). Look at your track record over the past 7 years.
    I agree they need to develop a deeper bench with blue chippers, adding a new fancy building. But don't forget your one of the best now in the WEST. How many kids go to the NFL from your program? The adoption of missionaries, bringing in polynesians has been a main stay of you program now for years.
    I would only caution you on one thing. Don't compromise talent for integrity. Those programs that now flood their programs with 'outlaws' do increase their talent pool but also have to deal with the instability they bring to the TEAM. Time baby sitting, fixing other kids who follow them.
    You're doing just fine, maybe a little tweeking is helpful.

• Eddie Would Go FPO, AE
    May 4, 2011 9:22 a.m.

I graduated from BYU (came from out of state, bye the way). Trust me, attending BYU was more like "living in my parent's basement" than actually living in my parent's basement could ever be!

• Utah'95 FPO, AE
    May 4, 2011 1:00 a.m.

This feels like a good time to trot out my favorite quote from the last month.

From Tom Holmoe: "Whenever it was Pac-10 expansion, Utah was always the school that they talked about," BYU AD Tom Holmoe said. "It would always frustrate the BYU fans."

• flynn is the coolest Salt Lake City, UT
    May 3, 2011 10:06 p.m.

"To compete at the highest levels, you've got to have a certain amount of the highly recruited, high-profile athletes in the program."

Utah has none of these, so what is Whit saying? They can't compete? Way to fill everyone with hopes and dreams.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    May 3, 2011 6:40 p.m.

This is fun. LOL

• GACougar Atlanta, GA
    May 3, 2011 6:38 p.m.

Sorry Tomahawk Red, I am one cougar fan that absolutely, positively, do not want BYU to join a conference. ANY conference. I would rather they be independent than in the PAC 10.2 or the Big 12 or any other conference. I live in Atlanta and because of independence I get to see them play against Ole Miss this year and Georgia Tech next year. I have heard rumors that BYU is trying to schedule a game at Florida. And they already have one against West Virginia.

You see, I do not care about how much money BYU makes. None of it goes into my pocket. As long as they have enough to keep the program running then they have enough. The ONLY thing I care about is being able to watch them play, in person preferably. So this move to independence is the best for me.

• Tomahawk Red North Salt Lake, UT
    May 3, 2011 6:22 p.m.

The Y in BYU should stand for hYpocrisY.

You haters love to accuse U fans of pumping up our team, chest thumping and boasting about how good we claim our team will be. that is the trademark of BYU fans every year without fail, no matter the.circumstances. stop drinking the kool aid and let's try to sound reasonable.

Independence is better than the mwc and yes, BYU did win with that move over staying put, but don't kid yourself or try to make everyone believe that you'd take that over a move to a BCS conference.

If the Big whatever came calling tmorrow, you would all drop independence like a sack of ...!

That bit of truth makes all of your continuing attacks on the U total hypocrisy. You know it. We know it.

• gonefishn Salt Lake City, UT
    May 3, 2011 6:14 p.m.

Apparently you do not remember BYU BBall in the late 90's when you litterally had hundreds in attendence?
    A little advice, do not worry about the Utes attendence in the Pac 12, You will have your own problems. Have you seen your home schedule? With only one loss, all you will have left is the bottom half of the wac on your way to the bell helicopter bowl. Horrible.......

• GoGetter Sandy, UT
    May 3, 2011 5:51 p.m.

I won't bother citing Duckhunter's posts... but I think it's safe to say that it is standard "cougar" behavior.

• I Choose Freedom Atlanta, GA
    May 3, 2011 5:13 p.m.

Sorry, Ibleedcrimson, but Oscar Meyer is no longer around so Whit has to stand on his own record. And his record says that he has only been able to win the lowly MWC one time in six tries. That is no spin. And if he could only win the lowly MWC once in six tries, and only managed a second place finish once in the other five tries, and all other years he was third or worse, then how do you expect him to compete in the mighty PAC 10.2?

Please tell me how you see Rose Bowl's and National Championships in the Utes future in the PAC when they hardly even made a ripple in the small pond called the MWC.

I just do not see it.

Ok, now it is your turn to spin.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    May 3, 2011 5:03 p.m.

@captain sweatpants, kh, mormon ute, gonefshn, etc.

I'm sure you all spent alot of time in the huntsman center this last season? My guess is you will all be in rice eccles at the start of the season but not spending so much time there towards the end. That is standard ute "fan" behavior.

Sounds fair weather and tenuous to me.

• GoGetter Sandy, UT
    May 3, 2011 4:57 p.m.

It's comments like that that makes BYU hated by so many.

I remember a certain passage of scripture from Jesus Christ that invites everybody to pray for their enemies... pretty famous, look it up.

I'm stoked for the Utes' grand debut in the PAC, I think we will do better than we think, we have more going for us than we realize. Especially now that USC is out of the race, and since we don't play Stanford or Oregon, our only major obstacle (not saying that other teams won't be hard) will be ASU. Regardless, it will be exciting!

GO UTES!!

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    May 3, 2011 4:35 p.m.

I'm having some trouble with your characterization of Ute fans. As a lifelong member of the LDS Church and a 20 year plus Ute fan, are you suggesting the two are not compatible? Well, that's why I chose the name I have for the comment boards. You and others like you have questioned my religious convictions for years. I think Elder Wirthlin would have a problem with your statement.

• Ibleedcrimson Cottonwood Heights, UT
    May 3, 2011 3:29 p.m.

"We are familiar with those who CHOOSE to go to utah that have a hard time cutting the apron strings and moving out of the parents' basement."

Wow that's all you have left in the tank? Basement smack? Welcome to 1998...

• AltaHawkFan Sandy, UT
    May 3, 2011 3:22 p.m.

Re: Captain

We are familiar with those who CHOOSE to go to utah that have a hard time cutting the apron strings and moving out of the parents' basement. It IS weird and unfortunately too common.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    May 3, 2011 2:47 p.m.

Judging from the ute losses to TCU, Notre Dame, Boise State, and a lucky win to BYU, the D&O-line is in need of an overhall. It'll be a few years of raising the bar to even reach the Vegas Bowl.

• nunya sacramento, ca
    May 3, 2011 2:21 p.m.

let me guess, raise the bar as in who gets drunk first, the fans or the coaches...hmmm, got money on the players.

• gonefishn Salt Lake City, UT
    May 3, 2011 1:40 p.m.

Bottom line to bitter Duckhunter, TJ and all the rest of the ute haters:
    Utah - BCS team,$20 million a year, great home and away schedule every year, conference auto bid, great bowl tie ins, much larger recruiting pool, fox and espn distribution.
    BYU - Non BCS, horrible bowl tie ins, $5 - $7 million a year (much improved from MTN), the exact same recruiting pool, horrible home schedule. Espn and BYU tv distribution (much improved from the MTN).
    Granted, BYU is better off than other non BCS teams but are you seriously saying you would pick it over what the Utes have? Delusional...

• GuitarGuy Layton, UT
    May 3, 2011 1:27 p.m.

Discarded original article title: "U. program finishes their sticker chart, gets Big Boy pants"

• sammyg Springville, UT
    May 3, 2011 1:20 p.m.

@ Silent Lurker

"I have never been able to figure out why BYU fans (sammyg, TJ, and others)are so concerned with Utah's football program? Are they really that insecure about their own team? Why else would it bother you so much?"

Am I bothered? I've never quite understood what is so 'insecure' about commenting on a sports story. My bias is obviously towards BYU but I'll be watching Ute games as well and probably more so now that the teams are not in the same conference. I comment on what I feel Like commenting on. It's my free speech rights.

My opinion is that the Utes will not do as well as the fan base thumps their collective chests about this year. Utah is not in the upper eschelons of the PAC as what most fans believe. Starting this fall we shall see what happens.

Let's move on and talk about the latest about BYU playing on Friday nights and how miserable that is for days. OK?

By the way welcome to ESPN. I'm sure we'll be seeing the Utes on a Friday night soon!

• KH Holladay, UT
    May 3, 2011 1:15 p.m.

You're statement is a huge reason why byu fans are hated. I've got news for you. You can be a good Mormon and be a Utah fan at the same time. I have served a mission, returned home, and am still an active member and I'm a Utah fan. I didn't even apply to BYU because I wanted to go to Utah. And there are many many people like me.

BYU fans continue to embarrass the church with statements like that.

• Captain Sweatpants Hampstead, NC
    May 3, 2011 12:23 p.m.

C'mon. I expect better from you. Unless your goal is to be BYU's version of Hedgehog.

By saying, "ute "fans" are a weird conglomeration of Mormon/BYU haters and bitter Mormons that couldn't get into BYU. It is a tenuous fanbase at best," you are painting with very broad brush strokes.

As for me, I'm a lifelong Mormon, returned missionary, BYU graduate (academic scholarship), with an MD from Utah. I still attend church weekly.

You might want to sit down for this - MANY of my medical school classmates had similar "Mormon credentials," but they CHOSE to go to the U for their undergraduate education.

I know, wierd.....!

• nottyou Riverton, UT
    May 3, 2011 12:06 p.m.

It was a typo..."Razed the Bar" makes more sense.

• Ibleedcrimson Cottonwood Heights, UT
    May 3, 2011 12:02 p.m.

"And by raising the bar, they mean turning into Washington State...."

Yes that's certainly not as appealing as being part of the Big1 + irrelevant 3....

• CaptainCougar Sandy, Utah
    May 3, 2011 11:47 a.m.

And by raising the bar, they mean turning into Washington State....

• LV Ute Fan Las Vegas, NV
    May 3, 2011 11:31 a.m.

@ Duckhunter

I am a UTE fan! And guess what? I don't hate byU, and I never wanted to go there. Utah was always #1 on my list of schools. You can't get a PharmD at byU.

You should take time to reflect on your comments. Yep, you sound like the real hater.

Sorry to tell you, but there is life outside the bubble. And its great to be a UTE!

• Ibleedcrimson Cottonwood Heights, UT
    May 3, 2011 11:05 a.m.

"when they only won the title once in six tries in the lowly MWC"

Now class above is a classic example of troll nation spin. If I conviently leave off the two years prior to 2005-06 which Utah was the champion I can make my silly point look far more forbidding to the uneducated observer.

Oh my only one championship out of the last 6, how much more devastating that is then 3 championships out of the last 8. Why not just make up some facts its requires less typing...

• Johnny Triumph American Fork, UT
    May 3, 2011 10:50 a.m.

Think of how dominant the Utes could have been the past 20 years if they just had 'raised the bar'.

• Silent Lurker Cottonwood Heights, UT
    May 3, 2011 10:42 a.m.

• I Choose Freedom Atlanta, GA
    May 3, 2011 10:36 a.m.

Can someone explain to me how Utah is going to compete for the PAC 10.2 championship their very first year when they only won the title once in six tries in the lowly MWC? Whit could not get it done in the MWC. How is he going to get it done in the PAC 10.2?

• fender Washington, UT
    May 3, 2011 10:13 a.m.

Both teams have dumped the spread in favor of a "west coast" type offensive attack, and that's a great move by both schools, since neither one has a spread QB. Edge to Utah, because Chow is one of the best in the country with that offensive approach. Y fans are right that Wynn is a question mark, but truth is Heaps has yet to prove his bona fides.

The article talks about the Utes' need to acquire depth with high quality athletes to compete in PAC 12. That's pretty funny. This spring I watched Robert Anae from Arizona steal a high school sophomore right out from under Utah. The kid wasn't going to BYU, his interest was Utah, but at least BYU had identified him early on and was doing all the right things. When the Ute recruiting coordinator finally saw the kid, he turned to another coach and asked "Do we have film on this kid?" That says it all. Anae got the kid before Utah even bothered watching film.

• Qwest Perfected Salt Lake City, UT
    May 3, 2011 10:10 a.m.

Ahhh another Utah football article filled with byu fans spouting off about how good they will be. Something I have been able to count on every year no matter what - byu is consistantly awarded the preseason national championship by themselves. This year we will be able to count on them awarding themselves player of the week honors as well!! I enjoy the claims of how your team is "nationally relevent" - yep they are, too bad it's not for what your football team accomplishes on the field. So good luck with all of that.

As for the Utes, they are in the conference of champions and that is a great thing. I don't have unrealistic expectations for this season, but bottom line Utah is going to continue to get better and better every year. In a few years when we are getting our full share of all of that PAC12 money - our facilities will high level just like our team.

As for the "luck" of being invited, I think it has more to do with what we have accomplished on the football field rather than that members of a certain organization that watch our games.

Go Utes!!!

• morganh Orem, Utah
    May 3, 2011 10:07 a.m.

Both Utah and BYU wanted out of the MWC and wanted more exposure. The PAC never was interested in BYU because it wouldn't jell with with some of their more liberal institutions like Cal and others so they chose Utah who is a state school. The only option for BYU was independence and those of you who read Vai's take find out that there is a strong following of BYU outside of Utah. ESPN also came on board with BYU because they know BYU will draw exposure. Utah doesn't have the exposure to survive with out a conference backing and B.Y.U. does. Utah is happy in the PAC and BYU is happy with independence so both won and nobody lost.

• Pac12Champs Magna, UT
    May 3, 2011 10:04 a.m.

I agree with some of the posts on here, as the overall game of both Shreve and Robles are a bit lacking...right now. Nonetheless, this is why games are played to see who is legit and who isn't. I will take a healthy Utes team over any other squad in the Pac12 South and if scheduling is in their favor than so be it. If Oregon and Stanford are as good as projected than Utah will see at least one of them in the championship game. From there anything can happen, especially if said championship game is up on the hill in December!

If injuries hit the Utes' starters than yes, it could be a long year. However, even under that worse-case scenario, inexperienced players would be getting playing time. Asa result the Utes would be a very deep team the following year.

However it plays out it's still a good time to be a Utes fan. As one who's waited for a long time, for my university to get a chance to prove itself I couldn't be more thrilled. Whit knows what he's doing and winning this conference won't take long.

• williary Kearns, UT
    May 3, 2011 10:00 a.m.

TJ, you really need to catch up with the Pac-12 information.

1)Part of the contract Utah signed to join the Pac-12 clearly laid out the phasing of revenue sharing. It will be full in a few years, no matter the TV contract signed.

2)Part of the expansion dealt with USC/UCLA possibly getting a larger share. If the total TV contract did not produce $180M a year, I believe that's the figure, they would be due an extra $2M per year each. That threshhold will easily be met, thus no extra for either school.

3)As he's shown by securing the largest conference TV contract in history, Larry Scott is a wise businessman. For him to invite Utah/Colorado, it clearly adds revenue to the conference as a whole. Don't let the mess with Craig Thompson let you think all commissioners don't know what they're doing.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    May 3, 2011 9:48 a.m.

And there are millions of those Mormons.

On the otherhand there is no such thing as a true ute fan at all and 99% of the fair weather ones live in the salt lake valley. ute "fans" are a weird conglomeration of Mormon/BYU haters and bitter Mormons that couldn't get into BYU. It is a tenuous fanbase at best.

• Cougars1 Bluffdale, UT
    May 3, 2011 9:46 a.m.

Hedge and willary

You are both wrong. I know of 5 BYU fans who are Legacy donors that are not LDS. I also have several friends who are not LDS who are BYU fans. Majority-yes. No such thing-you might want to get your heads out of the sand.

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    May 3, 2011 9:39 a.m.

The contract has not been signed yet and we don't know what the fine print says. I am anxious to see the Utes as an equal partner but every school in the PAC is looking out for their best interest. Experts at ESPN, Sporting news etc. said that Utah and Colorado bring one thing to the PAC and that is the capability of playing a conference championship game. They bring zero "increased" revenue earning capabilities to the PAC. USC and UCLA are half the revenue themselves and can / may command a larger share. Washington and Arizona are the next in line but will likely be content with equal sharing. On top of that there is still the possibility of USC signing an "independent" contract which could take away much of the PAC revenue. Texas is looking at the same thing and Notre Dame already has it and BYU has something similar. 2014 is 4 years away. Where money is concerned, nothing is for sure. Nevertheless, good luck to Utah just the same, things do look very good for them at this time, money wise.

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    May 3, 2011 9:37 a.m.

"BYU's "national relevance" ends once you step out of any LDS wardhouse across the country. Those are members, not fans."

Spot on. There is no such thing as a non- mormon BYU fan.

• blauch Salt Lake City, UT
    May 3, 2011 9:29 a.m.

tdlawton don't you think it is kind of funny that you are saying how much more realistic the Ute fans are than BYU right after chris B is writing how the Utes have a very good chance at going to the Rose Bowl.

I really don't think that BYU fans expected anything last year. They lost their starting Quarterback, All their tight ends and their running back. I fully expected them to lose to TCU, Florida State, and at least 2 other teams.

Yes Utah will make more money in the PAC12. Exposure and path to the BCS games will require winning. Utah has no better chance at going to the BCS game now than they did in the MWC.

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    May 3, 2011 9:26 a.m.

I like what I see and what I hear from Ute coaches. We have experienced coaches who know better than to get too high or too low. That has been one of the hallmarks of Coach Wittingham's style. They are in the process of tweaking a team that went 10-3 last season. Those BYU fans who see panic mode in what our coaches are saying, don't know Ute football.

That being said, yes, we are a few critical injuries away from some serious trouble. I think our schemes on both sides of the ball will be solid. Our starters will be ready for the level of competition they will face. However, if our starting QB goes down or our running game doesn't materialize our offense will be in trouble. It helps that Robles and Shreeve have gotten good minutes this spring, but Robles isn't the caliber Wynn is and Shreeve is rusty after not having played for more than a year. I'm not sure BYU is in any better position at QB. On defense, I think we have good depth, except in the back field. No panicking from me, just cautious optimism.

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    May 3, 2011 9:23 a.m.

You are a very upbeat person when it comes to your Utes. Kudos to you. Reality is that Utah has a relatively inexperienced offensive line and they have no depth there. If they can get to the PAC championship game they will be very fortunate and I will be pleasantly surprised. I will be rooting for them either way. If they have any injuries or underachieving on the O line, their young running backs will be in trouble and their passing game could suffer as well. Their QB missed the entire spring season. He may come through and be the man they need but it is less likely than if he had had the spring reps.
    Defense is in better shape but it will not be as good overall as their 04 and 08 defenses and they had much easier schedules.

• williary Kearns, UT
    May 3, 2011 9:22 a.m.

"Eventually, they will probably be getting an equal share of the PAC contract."

Well, that makes it sound far less impressive than reality. Utah will be a fully vested Pac-12 member in 2014 I believe, no if, and's, or but's about it.

• Hondo Springville, UT
    May 3, 2011 9:18 a.m.

It won't require much effort to raise the bar since the bar was so low already.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    May 3, 2011 9:15 a.m.

My posts are more of an anti-hype view of the situation. I do not disagree with any of your points other than the 'anger' statement.

Are the following comments any less than what I was commenting on? Maybe you don't like my prose but the underlying message is really no different. I guess it must just depend on the messenger, eh?

govt rocks... "I worry about the offensive line holding up against the rigors of the PAC 12 schedule."

Utah'95... "I have to admit it, I am a nervous about the upcoming season."

Truer words have never been spoken.

Call it 'worry', 'nervous' or for a little drama call it 'panic', it doesn't change anything. Reality is settling in and this September will be one to remember!

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    May 3, 2011 9:11 a.m.

I agree that OL is the key for the comming season Both Wynn and the running backs are reyling on this group.

Make no mistake the current Oline has a lot of talent - both Bergstrom and Cullen will both be in the NFL next year.

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    May 3, 2011 9:07 a.m.

@ willary;
    Close your mouth and open your ears for just a second.
    The Utes are very lucky indeed for their good fortunes of being invited to the PAC. They will get more money from the PAC championship game alone than they get for an entire MWC season. Eventually, they will probably be getting an equal share of the PAC contract.
    Utah could never have gone the independence route because they would never get the backing without a strong conference affiliation. They are too weak on their own and have no national relevence.
    BYU, a nationally relevent team, chose to go independent because it accomplished what they want. It gives them even more national exposure and relevence, freedom to broadcast their games worldwide, more recruiting power and it gives them another very good source of income for the entire athletic program. Independence may be a long term situation for them by their choice if it works well enough, which it should.

• dforth79 Orem, UT
    May 3, 2011 8:58 a.m.

the real worry is the health and depth of the Offensive Line, utah has lost a lot of experience and talent on the line the last 2 years. This will be the big reason that Utah is good or not. Protecting Winn and opening holes for the backs.

• aggieblue Saint George, UT
    May 3, 2011 8:55 a.m.

Where's hedgie, oh ya on the Y article. Can anyone tell me who the seven committments were that changed to the U with the announcement the U was going pac 10.

Chris B. are you serious?

• govt rocks Salt Lake City, UT
    May 3, 2011 8:34 a.m.

Depth will be the issue at Utah for 3-4 seasons. can Utah win in those years, you bet. The key, as always, is to stay healthy. I love college football, cannot wait for the PAC 12 teams to visit Utah versus the MWC teams of the past.

I like Wynn as a passer. We have all sorts of talent at the playmaker positions. I worry about the offensive line holding up against the rigors of the PAC 12 schedule. My guess is that is where the week in and week out pounding will be the most felt and where we need the most depth. That could spell problems in the last 3 or 4 games of the season.

• Utes21 Salt Lake City, ut
    May 3, 2011 8:16 a.m.

I am excited for the season to begin!

• williary Kearns, UT
    May 3, 2011 8:12 a.m.

Sources indicating that a new Pac-12 TV deal will be announced tomorrow. Word is around $225,000,000 annually, for $18.75M per team. Content to be split between Fox and ESPN.

More money, check. ESPN exposure, check. Direct path to a BCS game, check.

Yeah, so much for that independent thing being a "better move."

• VegasCoug Las Vegas, NV
    May 3, 2011 7:53 a.m.

Let's see... 90% of Utah's playmakers gone from last year.... Asiata, Wide, Brooks, Smithson = GONE.

Wynn's health a possible issue.....

Nobody who can step in if Wynn can't go.....

Methinks the Utes could in for a rude welcoming party to the Pac 12. Good luck with that Rose Bowl Utes. I'm thinking more like Vegas Bowl, if you're lucky.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    May 3, 2011 7:50 a.m.

Granted it is Spring time along the Wasatch but it's pretty obvious that Coach Whit and Chow are frustrated.

The optimism is there in their politically correct comments but it is so guarded and reserved one would have to think that they are preparing the masses for a funeral.

The QB situation is grave at best. If Wynn does not come back at 100% kiss the season goodbye. The two bench QBs, were off the mark in Spring training. Sure there's 29 practices left but if Wynn is not 100% or takes a few hits and gets injured again Utes are toast. Do we now understand the context of "if we can help ourselves out by adding another quarterback to our program, then we'll do it"?

The RB situation is not any better. What was it for the rugby player, 4 yds in the Red/White game? Clearly a big risk with a huge learning curve. Maybe it will work out but time is of the essence.

Sounds like recruiting problems have hobbled this year's team. Maybe not but I'm pretty reserved about this year's possibilities in a tougher conference. Very reserved.

• KamUte South Jordan, UT
    May 3, 2011 7:41 a.m.

Sammy posts only to anger everyone in red. Utah will be ok. On paper, Utah has one of the the toughest schedules in the country. Montana State is a very tough Div I aa team so we better not take them lightly. Our defense will keep us in games while the offense comes around.

• Mountanman Hayden, ID
    May 3, 2011 7:07 a.m.

"Raising the bar"! I wonder from where the ute coaches borrowed that line?

• Utah'95 FPO, AE
    May 3, 2011 5:21 a.m.

Calm down, girls. All the speculation about how good Utah will/won't be means nothing in May. Like every year, how they actually perform on the gridiron is what counts.

I have to admit it, I am a nervous about the upcoming season.

I hope the decreased production by the offense in the latter half of last season was due to Wynn's bad shoulder, but we won't know until we see him take the field.

I hope that the secondary will grow up quickly. I don't think Coach Whittingham would have approved moving Blechen to linebacker if he thought there weren't players ready to play at safety in 2011.

I am less worried about the running backs, but having no returning contributors is less than ideal.

I believe the new offense will be a better match for Wynn. No opponent ever considered him a threat to run the ball. I hope the backups get game ready since they will be called upon to take some snaps during the season.

Next fall's schedule will be the toughest one Utah has ever played. I hope they're up to it.

Go Utes!

• AltaHawkFan Sandy, UT
    May 3, 2011 2:09 a.m.

If the rb's are the 'heart and soul' of this ute team, they are going down in flames. The ute rb situation is scary.

You can have chow and his 'coaching pedigree'. He coached UCLA into being one of the worst offenses in D1 football with more talent than utah has. Good luck with that.

• bigutefan Las Vegas, NV
    May 3, 2011 12:50 a.m.

Hey tdlawton, let us know when your sure fire NFL superstar QB actually beats a team with a winning record. Until then, continue thinking that the one team he did beat with a winning record, San Diego State, was actually a game where the outcome is questioned due to some alleged cheating in the booth. Sorry, but he has not accomplished anything, and it took the whole season with a watered down playbook for him to be remotely successful. Washington sure looks like the smart ones when they didn't offer him a scholarship and choose Joe Montana's kid instead of your sure fire winner. Good luck with that, ha!

• thejuggernaut Salt Lake City, Utah
    May 3, 2011 12:13 a.m.

Not 'panic mode' sammyg, 'PAC12 mode'.

• tdlawton Cottonwood Heights, UT
    May 2, 2011 11:24 p.m.

No Sammyg, no panic mode... See that is the difference between Utah fans and BYU fans... Every Spring BYU is QB-ed by a sure-fire All-American/future NFL player. there are 2-3 future NFL O-linemen ahead of him and "this year" the Y has all the athletes it needs on defense. I mean there are no weaknesses...

In the Utes Spring we see and discuss rough edges and even heave forbid areas of relative weakness... Ute fans seem less likely to convince themselves that they are loaded at every position.

The real funny thing is it is Ute fans that have seen 2 undefeated teams in the last 7 years, it is Ute fans that are coming off of a 10-3 season (not 7-6). Maybe Ute fans are more realistic because they like their reality better than BYU fans like their reality.

• gonefishn Salt Lake City, UT
    May 2, 2011 10:46 p.m.

Yes, the Utes are installing a new offense but I think I will go with Norm Chow and his coaching pedigree as opposed to the Skyline High school JV team coaches at the Y. Can you say "panic mode"?

• sammyg Springville, UT
    May 2, 2011 10:07 p.m.

"We're not in dire straits," Whittingham said. "But if we can help ourselves out by adding another quarterback to our program, then we'll do it."

Dire straits = if Wynn's not 100%

"... We've got a long ways to go... if we're going to have a chance to be a good football team."

And these quotes are inspiring the masses to believe in a winning season and a bowl game?

Can we say 'panic mode'?

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    May 2, 2011 9:46 p.m.

With Stanford and Oregon not on the schedule, there is no reason to believe anyone has a better chance to play in the Pac 12 championship game.

An undefeated season is unlikely with the quality of opponents week in and week out, but a Rose Bowl is the goal, a goal which is absolutely a strong possibility if Wynn is healthy and continues to improve.

Weaknesses were exposed last year, which was good timing considering the move to the Pac 12. Whittingham will ensure the necessary changes are made to solidify those weaknesses.

The running backs and linebackers will be the heart and soul of this team. It will be a fantastic first season. I think the rest of the Pac 12 is in for a rude welcoming.