Sports

BYU baseball: Cougar, New Mexico players suspended after brawl

Comments

• sammyg Springville, UT
    April 27, 2011 8:37 a.m.

They started it according to Daily Herald reporter. Check out the Youtube and story links buried in the 'Jimmer on the Big Screen' article.

These guys come into Provo and start trashing Jimmer and then they start the shoving match, then it escalates from there.

UNM are sore losers, it's Jimmer's fault. Perfect!

• Carnak Salt Lake City, UT
    April 26, 2011 4:49 p.m.

@ Duckhunter: Thank you so much for the personal bio. Now we know all about you and we will add that to all of the people you know, the places you've been and the projects that you have worked.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    April 26, 2011 4:22 p.m.

@hailstorm

I don't attend BYU. Most fans of BYU don't attend BYU. I am not bound by the honor code because you see I am simply a fan. Up until a few weeks ago I had long hair. I also occasionally gamble and I hunt and fish on Sunday's. You are a hypocrite though and pretty much all utah "fans" like yourself are those if you want to make generalizations.

But for me, well I like baseball brawls. I was involved in a couple of them when I was younger. Lotsa fun.

• WHAT NOW? Saint George, UT
    April 26, 2011 3:08 p.m.

Suspended for three games.

The next three MWC games?

The next three scheduled games?

• Hondo Springville, UT
    April 26, 2011 2:49 p.m.

I heard from a source that part of the reason this brawl occurred in the first place is because the UNM players were chattering a lot. One of them said something similar to what the Italian player, Materazzi, said to Zidane in the World Cup back in 2006.

Keep it classy, New Mexico.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    April 26, 2011 1:06 p.m.

And like we need 'little brother' fans to point out the 'foibles of youth'... (church lady) "Well isn't that special".

Maybe there's hope for some of you Ute trolls. If by reading these stories about shortcomings in human character and you comprehend as such, just maybe you'll identify & find character for yourself? Nah, I didn't think so.

• Carnak Salt Lake City, UT
    April 26, 2011 12:26 p.m.

Hey Vance, that's the way to keep it classy. It's one thing having a bunch of 20 year old kids brawl on the field, but the Coach? Nice example.

• InsideView Draper, UT
    April 26, 2011 12:01 p.m.

It's too bad that Bernal was suspended. He is hitting the ball great this year. If it could of been Caldwell or another player who is struggling, that would have been better.

• Cali Coug Visalia, CA
    April 26, 2011 11:43 a.m.

Way to go Diamond Cougs...kicked their tail both on and off the field.

• TheHailstorm South Weber, UT
    April 26, 2011 10:53 a.m.

Duhkunter:
    The honor code clearly states, " Respect others ". Supporting and encouraging a brawl is outside the limits of sportsmanship.

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    April 26, 2011 10:41 a.m.

Duckhunter,

Interesting comments considering we have a pretty good lead on BYU in the conference race right now.

• Pavalova Surfers Paradise, AU
    April 26, 2011 10:03 a.m.

First Elizabeth Lambert, now this. Must be in the water at UNM.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    April 26, 2011 9:48 a.m.

Frankly I like baseball brawls. Lotsa fun. Glad to see the Cougars have a little fight in them. I'm sure ernest's utes would have just let those "new mexicans" beat them down. Not much fight in those gals.

• Whoa Nellie American Fork, UT
    April 26, 2011 9:45 a.m.

Wow, a reprimand from the MWC. How serious could that be? UNM athletics = MWC competence. Consider the source.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    April 26, 2011 9:27 a.m.

Those New Mexicans started this. There is now way us byu players would have started it.

• DEW Cougars Sandy, UT
    April 26, 2011 9:26 a.m.

Vance Law has not gotten to where BYU needs to be. Maybe it is time to see a change because WCC will be tough.

• InsideView Draper, UT
    April 26, 2011 8:58 a.m.

OlpuebloguyInWyo - Ryan Beranl is a started and one of the top players for BYU. Ryan missing three games will hurt. Bernal is known to run his mouth. I think he threw the first cheap shot punch. I think he needs to be reprimanded.

• The Disillusionist Alexandria, VA
    April 26, 2011 8:01 a.m.

News flash: this happens in sports. Quite a bit actually. There. Now we can move on with our lives.

• OlpuebloguyInWyo Evanston, WY
    April 26, 2011 7:27 a.m.

Even though it was embarassing to see what happened on the field, won't hurt the team much since those effected are not starters AND the fact that the team will not advance beyond the MWC tourney. I see the only one on the hot seat for now with the school is V. Law. Reminds me of the days of Crowton where some on the team affected the program....and we see where that got him. The baseball program has really never been a top program in the nation (or the WAC or MWC) and probably never will against those teams who have their home plates in sunny climates. Recruiting is difficult I am sure for one who is setting his sights on a professional career. Just sayin'....

• DC Alexandria, VA
    April 26, 2011 6:59 a.m.

Sounds like they were disciplined. What do you want?

• JimmyRay Greenfield, IN
    April 26, 2011 6:51 a.m.

Great missionary work Cougies!

• RaininTime Orem, UT
    April 26, 2011 1:48 a.m.

It is good to see the BYU baseball team have a little fight. Them New Mexico boys can't just keep their mouths shut. I'm ok with this.

• Honor Code Denver, Colorado
    April 26, 2011 12:48 a.m.

Where is the "Honor Code" in all of this???????? Good news Davies, you'll get a break from the publicity (maybe for one day).