Utah

Mormon church announces Harmony historical site

Comments

• Iggle Salt Lake City, UT
    April 23, 2011 8:25 a.m.

As a native of Northeast PA, I'm pleased to see this. Can't wait to go back!

• Bill in Nebraska Maryville, MO
    April 23, 2011 7:56 a.m.

To Slim Shady 801: I would agree but the thing is the Church is already sending considerable humanitarian aide to Japan. It is like we forget that this aide is already there. The other thing is that our tithing money is going to the Harmony project where our humanitarian offerings are going to Japan.

• PA Gardener Towanda, PA
    April 22, 2011 8:12 p.m.

As a member of the church living in Pennsylvania, this is great news and is money well spent. It should be a boost in appearance within the community and build bridges with those not familiar with the beginnings of our faith.

• Slim Shady 801 Bluffdale, UT
    April 22, 2011 7:21 p.m.

As a member of the church, lets send the money that we would use of these buildings, etc. to Japan. Let us invest in people, not buildings.

• Lone Star Cougar Plano, TX
    April 22, 2011 2:11 p.m.

I am sure the church will do the best it can to make it like it should. If it somewhat like Nauvoo it will be great!

• bobosmom small town, Nebraska
    April 22, 2011 1:19 p.m.

I think of winter quarters back here in Nebraska. The city of Omaha was very gracious to the church in the acquistion of the winter quarters cememtary. With the replica of the Kanesville Tabernacle in Council Bluffs,IA Im impressed that the church has done what it can back here to acquire what it can as far as properties that are history and spiritual significance. One time when I was as the Kanesville tabernacle property sitting on one of the benches taking in the spirit and all of the sudden I had to come back to the real world. Someone was placing there order next door at the drive thrh at Taco Bell.

• Max Syracuse, NY
    April 22, 2011 1:10 p.m.

Ct98, I don't think the Kirtland Temple is for sale. The Community of Christ recently built a big, beautiful visitors center. It doesn't appear they have any plans to let it go.

• Max Syracuse, NY
    April 22, 2011 12:51 p.m.

How exciting! I have always hoped that the church would do this. So many critically important events happened there. I do enjoy the serenity of the place but it will be much nicer after it gets fixed up so more people can enjoy it. I hope they build a bridge over the tracks. As it is now, getting to the river is a bit of a trick (and not all that safe). I am REALLY looking forward to this.

• toosmartforyou Farmington, UT
    April 22, 2011 12:46 p.m.

@JPL of Michigan

Regardless of who owns the Kirtland Temple, I don't see it being "turned into a working Temple" by anyone. It is currently used as a place of history for visitors of all faiths and also as a meeting house for the current owners. It isn't necessary that it be a Temple and it isn't built as such. It was extremely important to fulfill certain events in history, which occured one week after it's dedication in 1836. Mission accomplished. While the Latter-Day Saints don't own it, it has been preserved by the Community of Christ and the LDS people are welcome when they visit. Why not be grateful for that?

Personally, I'd like to see the LDS Church purchase the red brick store in Nauvoo, too, but once again, they are welcome to visit. We don't have to own everything, do we? I think not.

Regarding the train tracks; they and the fence next to them seem to protect a bit the sacred site at the river. I expect a foot bridge will be built that goes over them. No biggie.

• John Pack Lambert of Michigan Ypsilanti, MI
    April 22, 2011 12:24 p.m.

BrentBot,
    Actually I would disagree that train tracks are unaesthetic.

I think the bigger issues are noise and disrupted traffic flow. Both of these would be solved by creating a tunnel under the train tracks. I have not been there, so I am not sure that it is a surface intersection, but if it is than making it not a surface intersection seems wise, otherwise the train has to very loadly blow its horn as it approaches.

The train is not all bad though. In theory if enough people start coming it would be possible for Amtrack to set up a train station there and then people could come to tour by train instead of by bus. I do not know if Amtrack currently even runs on tat line, but it is how things would work in an ideal world.

• John Pack Lambert of Michigan Ypsilanti, MI
    April 22, 2011 12:19 p.m.

CT98,
    According to Brother Karl Ricks Anderson the reason why the Church of Christ has the Kirtland Temple s because the Lord gave the building to them. If The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints were to purchase it there would be one group of people who would want to preserve it as an open tour site, and another group that would want it turned into a functioning temple. One could not blame the saitns in Kirtland, Erie Pennsylvania and Cleveland for wanting the latter, but many people both in the Church and outside would be outraged if it was not kept as an open site for tourists. As Joseph Smith learned in running his store, there are times when it is easier for the Church just not to do certain things.

This development does not surprise me. The recent purchase of the 10 acres seemed to indicate this was likely. I also had heard of missionaries being sent to this site with at least one of their responsibilities being to gauge the level of visitiors.

• BrentBot Salt Lake City, UT
    April 22, 2011 12:05 p.m.

The train tracks which must be crossed to access the baptismal site on the Susquehanna River detract from the serenity. Hopefully something esthetic can be done to hid the tracks.

• CT98 Saint George, UT
    April 22, 2011 11:57 a.m.

I hope the Church will soon purchase the Kirtland Temple. Why hasn't this happened yet? I'm sure the Church of Christ (current owners of the building) are cash-strapped and would be open to a deal? I'm just sayin'

• JNA Layton, UT
    April 22, 2011 10:49 a.m.

It's Kirtland, Ohio. Someone needs to be careful while editing and proof-reading.

• Broken Arrow Draper, UT
    April 22, 2011 10:03 a.m.

This is great news, but this article contained so many errors in grammar, punctuation, and spelling that it was almost unreadable.

• Joe Rock Kamas, Ut
    April 22, 2011 8:55 a.m.

Wow! We are excited! We served a mission at Susquehanna Pa (3 miles from the site in 2004 & 05. Hope to go back for the dedication.

• KC Mormon Edgerton, KS
    April 22, 2011 7:56 a.m.

fowersjl | 7:03 a.m. April 22, 2011
    If it is done anything like Sharron Vermont you will not even notice the buses

• fowersjl Farmington, Utah
    April 22, 2011 7:03 a.m.

This makes me a bit sad. Having visited this spot many times, I love the quiet serenity. Parking lots full of tour buses and people will take that all away. Sigh.

• Gosh-DUH Burlington, CT
    April 22, 2011 5:16 a.m.

to the sharp readers who picked up on the errors, thank you. someone has corrected the priesthood date, but not the typo - it is of course Kirtland Ohio. Maybe someone was focused on doing the wash with a Kirkland appliance.

• Calbrode Vernal, Ut
    April 21, 2011 11:26 p.m.

"Kirkland", OH. Hmmmm what city is that?

• JohnJacobJingleHeimerSchmidt Beverly Hills, CA
    April 21, 2011 11:02 p.m.

I hope to make this visit some day.

• Hans in California Valencia, CA
    April 21, 2011 10:31 p.m.

"conferred the Aaronic Priesthood on them that day (May 15, 1929)"

Gee guys, you're only off by a hundred years!

• toosmartforyou Farmington, UT
    April 21, 2011 10:30 p.m.

This is great news. when I visited the place a few years ago I thought it could use some maintenance and repair. It will be nice to see the events that happened there have an emphasis for tourists and Church history students.