Sports

Utah Jazz players say future looks bright with Corbin

Comments

• Kakashi Tokyo, Japan
    April 27, 2011 5:46 p.m.

I heard the guy shaybo suggested...Lucas Nogueira...is a monster defender...the problem is i think he is too young...but having someone patrol the paint with that aggressivess is something nice to have...

• Jazz-Nation Lehi, UT
    April 25, 2011 3:21 p.m.

Burks with the 6th pick, he is a Wes Mathews type shooting guard but taller at 6'6 considered the best shooting guard in the draft. Jimmer with the 12th pick gives us a solid back up point guard and three point shooting we must have to help open the paint. Hopefully we can sign AK to the Veteran minimum and make a push for a free agent or two like Dalembert to play some garbage minutes for the big guys. Maybe find a team willing to take Memo's contract and Bells contract for a young veteran shooting guard? Maybe we keep Memo and play him, who knows?

• Kakashi Tokyo, Japan
    April 25, 2011 4:23 a.m.

@Captain L

maybe it was an off game on that championship game...like i said...you cant judge a player with one game...i think you have to at least...watch a players last 5-10 games...to have any sort of consistency to what he is capable of...

@shaybo

that lucas nogueira is interesting does he have a lot of vids on the net?

• Captain L Provo, UT
    April 24, 2011 10:36 p.m.

Shaybo: I have liked Vesely and been on his bandwagon, hoping the Jazz would pick him up and I still like him, he has the perfect size & length to give us a 3 that can match up with the Durrants, Melo's, James' of the league. I just watched his recent championship game and he was 4 for 6, 8 pts, which was efficient but he wasn't assertive on offense. I've watched his highlights and love what I've seen, maybe this one game I just watched was not the norm but I think he only averages 10._ something per game. I'd like to see him at least in the high teens. He seems to play smart and good team ball. I would be happy if the Jazz drafted Vesely, I know they will do their homework.

• shaybo Richfield, UT
    April 24, 2011 9:20 p.m.

@Captain L

Are you sure were watching the same Vesely? He seems highly aggressive on offense and could be a very good defensive player with great quickness and lateral movement for 6'11" and he is very close to NBA ready at the 3.

While Biyombo is long and athletic and looks good on his highlights most NBA scouts say he is 2-3 years away from being NBA ready and I seriously doubt he will play center in the NBA and Favors is a lock to get most of the minutes at the 4 spot.

If your looking for a true center that's a project how about the kid (Lucas Nogueira) from Brazil that just declared, a true 7 footer with 7'6" wingspan and a killer shot blocker.

• Captain L Provo, UT
    April 24, 2011 6:24 p.m.

Kakashi: I agree, we can't get excited like he is a sure deal, it would be nice if there were some ligit centers in the draft but I don't see any. Biyombo may be the best, especially when it comes to being a defensive minded, shotblocking, rebounding force. He may only be 6'9 but his length makes him as long or longer than most 7 footers. Plus he is chiseled, 243 lbs, young, and the thing I like most is how hard he plays. Getting a player that plays with tremendous intensity is a Hugh plus. That reminds me of a Mathews kind of a player and with his size & length that would be very good. The biggest weakness last years Jazz had was defense and rebounding.
    I like TJones as the best 3 on the board, I was higher on Vesely but watched him and he's not assertive enough on offense. He is long and athletic and skilled though.
    Point guards wise, I like Jimmer and Knight.
    The workouts for these players can't get started soon enough for me. It will be interesting to hear how they do.

• Kakashi Tokyo, Japan
    April 24, 2011 6:10 p.m.

@fan29

it wont be that long before we are back in the playoffs...id say...2 years...

@TRUEBLUEFAN

Portland wont trade wesley back...they just got him...and they wont agree with the trade...better forget about him and move on...and try to swing for a different guy...like Tony Allen...Tony Allen can shoot and defend...and he is a great lockdown defender at the 2...

@Captain L

i know Biyombo has a 7'7 wingspan...but aren't we tired of having undersized C?....if Biyombo turns out to be somewhat like Ben Wallace at his prime...then i'll grab him...im not sold on a player who got hot on just one game...i'd watch him on the workouts...before i rate him...

@Bugoff

i agree with you that Kendrick isnt playing at a top level right now...but every player...respects his interior D...even though it doesnt show on the stats...people would second guess when they go in the lane...and notice he is there...i think that is what is lacking on our Team...

• Bugoff Houston, TX
    April 23, 2011 11:38 p.m.

KOC found Mathews and he can find another one. Favors is not a project. He is a starting quality NBA PF and getting better. I would rather have Favors than Boozer.

I just watched OKC. Perkins was not impressive at all. However, he was very impressive while playing with the Cs. Next year after he adjusts to OKC he will be impressive. Give AJ, Harris and Favors a year of playing together and see what you have.

Boozer is not doing that well in CHI. He is no longer the focal point of the offense. Based on WP48 Boozer (.172) is not much better than his back up (Taj Gibson .121), AJ (.143), Millsap (.146) and Favors (.123) (who is a rookie just getting started with a new team).

Korver and Brewer are doing really well. That is because the coach is utilizing them a lot more effectively than Sloan ever did.

The trades that KOC made will work out IF (and only IF) he gets enough outside shooting. All night DEN left Ibaka open so they could double down. Ibaka made them pay.

The Jazz can't shoot outside and their offense dies from paint pack.

• Captain L Provo, UT
    April 23, 2011 11:15 p.m.

Ty will never play in the NBA, he isn't athletic enough and he is too short to play PF, considering he's not athletic. Charles Barley he's not.
    He could play overseas, time will tell. Hope he does, if it is something he wants to do. Makeli did for a while but Makeli was bigger and more skilled.

• Captain L Provo, UT
    April 23, 2011 11:10 p.m.

Time will tell whether Williams will be able to play the 3, he has shown he can at times but so has Milsap and Paul has proven himself at the pro level. I'm not that sold on Williams. TJones is very skilled, he was a point guard as a freshman and it shows if you watch how he handles the ball. I don't know how good he will be as a pro but I like his skill level. He is more of a natural 3. He is 6'9, long, athletic, with a good body.
    Biyombo is 6'7&3/4 barefoot, 6'9 in shoes, he has a 7'7 wingspan, he too has alot to prove but it is his defense, blockshots, rebounding and hustle/aggressiveness that are impressive. He has a chiseled body, weighs 243lbs, he's smart, watch him and read about him on DraftExpress.com. , the Jazz need a defensive minded, shotblocking, rebounding center and Biyombo fits the bill. If the Jazz did look to draft Biyombo, they would need to look to trade Milsap.
    Favors & Big Al as starters with Biyombo coming off the bench, better defensive team,stillplentyofoffense.

• TRUEBLUEFAN Logan, Utah
    April 23, 2011 10:37 p.m.

Draft Jimmer then trade him, Bell and Okur for Wesly Mathews! Also move Millsap to the 3, then have this line up:

PG: Harris, Watson, Price
    SG: Hayward, Mathews, Miles
    SF: Millsap, A.K.
    PF: Favors, Evans
    C: Jefferson, Fez

Maybe pick up another big man or two, like Tai Wesly.

• shaybo Richfield, UT
    April 23, 2011 10:07 p.m.

Steals don't make you a great defensive player.

Williams will be a 3 in the NBA, he shoots well enough from outside and is plenty quick also can dominate inside as a bonus. Ten times better than Jones.

Biyombo is listed at 6'9" but the word is he's 6'7". 4 point and 5 rebound average is not a lottery pick, and the word is he is 2-3 years away from NBA ready.

• Mitchell_12 Ogden, UT
    April 23, 2011 6:48 p.m.

Did you really just say that CPAUL has bad D! I'm just going off the top of my head but he's been in the top 5 in steals for the last couple of years. Correct me if I'm wrong. The thing with CPAUL is nobody really knew he could play that great of defence and now you see him stealing the ball from Kobe in the playoff. Draft Jimmer, I admit it's a risk, but a risk worth taking.

• fan29 Orem, UT
    April 23, 2011 10:40 a.m.

Jazz in for a long drought in the playoffs. GET RID OF KOC. All we are doing is watching xjazz player in the playoffs (Port & Chi) that we didn't get resigned last summer and sending a all star to NJ for a ok point guard, not any better than what we had as backups to DWill and another 19 yr old project that might turn into a star, but will look for $$$ else where when his contract runs out. Getting a Hall of Fame coach to retire. Larry is rolling over in his grave watching what management is doing with his team!!

• SloanHater Farmingtown, IL
    April 23, 2011 9:24 a.m.

The problem with all this draft speculation is that Jazz fans have no idea what type of system Corbin will run next year.

Is he going to stay with the Motta(sloan) System? If so, then the Jazz need a big PG that can set screens and make great entry passes. They would also need a 2/3 that can run the baseline and curl off screens while making a high percentage of jump shots.

If Corbin is moving to more of a triangle/2 post players with Favors/Big Al, then the Jazz need shooters/scorers like Jimmer/Kemba/Williams.

Otherwise the Jazz should continue to follow the Spurs model of success. Draft international players that you can 'store' for a year or three.

Jazz fans shouldn't put so much weight on this year's draft. There are some good free agents available and next year's draft is very promising.

The problem remains that we, as Jazz fans, have no idea what offensive system the Jazz will run and if Corbin can develop young talent or if he is best suited to coach veterans.

• Kakashi Tokyo, Japan
    April 22, 2011 11:35 p.m.

Trade Harris for Hinrich and a draft pick....i dont think we need a scoring PG...we need someone who would defend the position...i think Dalembert is a free agent...im not sure...if we couldnt get a defensive C....get Dalembert...then for the draft....draft a SF and a combo guard (Jimmer?)...we still have another draft pick next year...but its a 7thpick protected...

• Bugoff Houston, TX
    April 22, 2011 11:35 p.m.

Right now in Draft Express's Mock draft the Jazz could choose among Biyombo, Kanter, Vesely and Jones with the 6th pick and Burks, Hamilton and Jimmer with the 12th.

They have Knight going 5th at the moment.

All of those players have a reasonable chance of starting in the NBA within 3 years. Kanter, Vesely, and Jones probably could help this year. Jimmer could in special situations as a paint unpacker.

The Jazz could trade down and get someone like Clay Thompson (SG/SF) or Honeycutt (SF).

I do not like Kemba based on shooting efficiency nor Leonard base on lack of offense.

It really makes NO sense to draft another undersized PF. The Jazz already have Millsap and half the board want to trade him away. Why replace Millsap with a rookie clone? Millsap is already an established player. You know what you have in Millsap and every other undersized PF is not going to be better including Williams who some want to trade up for.

• Captain L Provo, UT
    April 22, 2011 11:19 p.m.

Watch Biyombo on YouTube, Nike Hoops Summit Highlights. Or find him on one of the Mock draft sites and they have it there to click on.

• Bugoff Houston, TX
    April 22, 2011 10:26 p.m.

@LAJazzFan Your bumpy ride assumption is justified if the Jazz do not add outside shooting. The Jazz imploded when DWill hurt his wrist and Raja's shot went South. CJ tried to carry the load and could not consistently.

The Jazz offense CHOKED on Sloan's bias against outside shooting. The team NEVER had enough from the start of the year. That is also KOC and Miller's fault for not putting the shooting onto the team. IF the Jazz had as much outside shooting as last year they would be in the play offs.

Opponents knew all they had to do is choke off the Jazz inside game by packing the paint. The Jazz could not force it open. The offensive efficiency disappeared as the TO's went up and the shooting percentages went down.

Williams is not better than Millsap. Don't trade Millsap. Vesely, Jones and Knight are good picks. Jimmer should be as good as D Fisher.

Biyombo would replace Fes.

The Jazz are going to get better with the 2 picks. The Jazz could trade down and get Singleton (SF). There are NO great SGs high in the top 20.

• shaybo Richfield, UT
    April 22, 2011 10:17 p.m.

@Captain L: I agree with most of what you say but Biyombo averaged 4 points and 5 rebounds and a lot of the mock drafts don't even have him going in the first two rounds.

As for Jimmer and defense, the consensus 3 best guards in the NBA, Dwill, CPaul and Rose all play very little D. Actually haven't been to impressed with Harris's either.

I think what the Jazz need most is someone who is feared from outside and can spread the defense and in this draft that is Fredette.

Can't ignore Williams 65% 3 point shooting especially from someone so explosive inside.

• Bugoff Houston, TX
    April 22, 2011 9:49 p.m.

@ LA Fan Your point is very well taken. It can be done but it would take me a lot of work. First the data from each game would have to be found and then summed for each player. Then the raw WP48s would have to be computed using the formula.

I can tell you that AJs WP48 was thru the roof and much higher than .20 and probably >.30. Harris was erratic but hurt. Favors consistently improved. Hayward improved a lot. CJ dropped but was up and down.

AK, Millsap and Watson have been pretty consistent all year.

Except for the outside shooting and weak rebounding the talent is there IF the team starts working together like they should.

In my opinion MOST of the current problems are in the lack of outside shooting and in the newness of Harris (and perhaps his style). The defense also has to be redesigned. The Jazz defensive approach has NOT served them well for a few years. That D may have been developed for Boozer/Okur? But it is a bad defense that makes the Jazz vulnerable to 3s (especially in the corner). Sloan was not worried about corner 3s.

• Captain L Provo, UT
    April 22, 2011 9:10 p.m.

I'm not that high on Williams, to me he is a smaller(or about the same size) Milsap and unproven, at least Paul has proven himself. Even when I suggest the Jazz consider trading Milsap, I realize that could be a mistake, he brings alot to the game but he is short & undersized and gets taken advantage of by bigger, longer 4's. Paul probably is at his peak, value wise though and we may be able to get the most possible for him now. We do need a good shooting 3, especially with AK possibly moving on & getting older. We need a point guard for the future, Harris may be OK for a few years but a young point guard would be a good pick up and I think Jimmer could fill that spot. I think he is being under valued because he hasn't shown he can play D, time will tell but I think he can play D and will prove it given the chance.

• Captain L Provo, UT
    April 22, 2011 9:01 p.m.

The Jazz do need outside shooters but they need Defense and rebounding even more. That being said, I really like how this Biyombo looks, read about him. He doesn't have alot of offense but what he brings defensively changes the game, and is what the Jazz need. Then trade Milsap and get the 3 we need, that can shoot, someone like Granger. I like the idea of drafting Jimmer, and it is not because he's our boy, it is because of what he can bring to the game. Defensively he is a question but I think he'll do OK there and his offense is what the Jazz need. He's not just a good shooter, he can put the ball on the floor and create.
    If the Jazz don't like Biyombo, then I like TJones, I have been on the Vesely bandwagon for over a year but today I watched him and he's not assertive enough, I like his size, skills, length, motor but he's only averaging 10+ points per game.

• shaybo Richfield, UT
    April 22, 2011 8:39 p.m.

@I Will Be Till I Die: The Jazz need outside shooters, Leonard is not that, Jones looked terrible in the NCAA's, Biyombo has zero offensive skills except dunks.

I think they should trade down to get Derrek Williams even if it means Milsap and the #12 pick to do it. If not take Jan Veseley with the #6 pick, he is extremely quick and athletic for 6'11 and can slash and shoot. Knight or Fredette with the #12.

• BillM75 Salt Lake City, UT
    April 22, 2011 4:22 p.m.

Corbin did lose the NOH game, but Ronnie Price lost the Washington game.

Jeff Van Gundy would never go to a small market rebuilding team, esp not as an assistant.

• Jazz Source Alpine, UT
    April 22, 2011 2:26 p.m.

"Jazz players say future looks bright with Corbin"

Uh, a few things.

1. The players are trying to suck up to Corbin to get positions and playing time for next season.

2. You have to be a bit worried with players promoting Corbin. There were a few concerns I saw that Corbin was trying to be a "players coach" which is code for "undisciplined" and "player freedom". That would be the kiss of death and a guaranteed losing strategy. Phil Jackson, Popvich are respected but I don't think the players would say they like everything they make them do but it works. That is the approach we need.

3. Forgive me but an 8-20 coaching record should not be ignored. I'm not sure anyone based in reality can be so quick to say the future is bright when
    Corbin can't beat THE WORST road team in the NBA on your own home court. Clearly Corbing struggled to motivate the players or have a proper system in place to win against a BAD team.

CJ jacking up bad shots all game long against Portland playing exactly zero defense and yet Corbin leaves him out there?

Bright future?

• LAJazzFan Los Angeles, CA
    April 22, 2011 2:13 p.m.

@BugOff-

Can you provide WP48 numbers for the last month of the season (after DWill left)? Is it possible to get the stats of that month of how players played together (combinations of AJ, Sap, Hayward, Harris and Favors)?

Otherwise, the full season numbers (or even the past couple of seasons) might not mean a whole lot as playing with DWill could have been a big factor.

I see the potential of some of these guys and the possibility of clawing back into playoff contention, but if I am honest with myself I see a lot of lottery teams with a few good players (the Nets had Lopez, Harris and Morrow and couldn't win, and Clippers had better players than Jazz do now and didn't make playoffs). Choosing twice in the lottery of the worst draft in over a decade does not help the situation. While cautiously optimistic, we might have to admit that we are in for a bumpy ride the next few years.

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    April 22, 2011 1:20 p.m.

I think the Jazz are doing very well within what their limitations are. I think this will be a very competitive team next year and they will be a top 3 Western team within 2-3 years.
    I agree it would be nice to have Matthews now but the jazz don't have a billionaire owner to cover mistakes with money. Portland now has Brandon Roy with a suffocating contract they will not be able to dump. Portland will implode again and the Jazz will be back on top.

• SloanHater Farmingtown, IL
    April 22, 2011 12:45 p.m.

Jody,

I would like to see an article that compared Corbin to other NBA rookie coaches rather than a fluff piece on Corbin. Sure Corbin was promoted in a difficult situation, but contrast him with Frank Vogel in Indiana or Monty Williams in New Orleans.

I'd say both of those coaches have done more with less talent than Corbin.

• SloanHater Farmingtown, IL
    April 22, 2011 12:27 p.m.

Hmmm... All I read was KOC making excuses for giving an unproven assistant coach a multi-year, multi-million dollar contract.

Let's not forget Corbin lost AT HOME to the worst teams in the NBA. It was only in the last 5 games that the young guys actually got playing time. The starting line-up had no consistency under Corbin. I can't recall a current or former Jazz player praising Corbin's coaching as an assistant. (Contrast that with Thibodeau when he was with Boston.)

I'm not sure what some Jazz fans see in Corbin. Sure he seems like a nice guy, but a great basketball mind... I guess we'll see.

Hopefully the Jazz bring in Jeff Van Gundy as an assistant, just in case Corbin continues his losing ways.

• Bugoff Houston, TX
    April 22, 2011 12:12 p.m.

For this last year the raw WP48 scores for the Jazz were as follows

AK .17
    Millsap .15
    AJ .14
    Favors .12
    Watson .08
    Hayward .04
    Harris .04
    CJ .03

The rest were negative, 10 day contracts or Evans with few minutes.
    That is a team WP48 score of 78 (move the decimal) for the players who played most of the minutes.

WP48 is effected by how well the team is working together and also by individual performance.

Assuming that the team functions better next year I would suggest the following.

AK (or replacement) near .20 (usually is)
    AJ > .20 (recent play)
    Millsap > .20 (previous)
    Favors > .20 (improved play)
    Hayward .10-.15 "
    Harris about .10-.15 (past sometimes .15+)
    Watson .10
    CJ .05-.10 (past)

That puts the Jazz in the 120-130 range on team WP48 for the 8 players with the most minutes. That is similar to most of the better playoff teams.

This assumes that the offense runs properly, the defense improves, and Harris/CJ improve shooting percentage.

If negative players are replaced with positive ones things really improve (lousy bench).

There is hope for the Jazz next year with 2 decent draft picks.

• nothegame Saratoga Springs, UT
    April 22, 2011 12:09 p.m.

The best thing that could of happened to the Jazz, was having Jerry step down when he did. Now Corbin is not starting a new season without experiance. Go Jazz. And draft well

• I Will Be Till I Die Holladay, UT
    April 22, 2011 12:06 p.m.

JBQ: Rather than add ANOTHER 6-10 forward to our roster with Kanter, if the Jazz brass want to go big, I'd go with Biyombo from Congo. Yes, he's 6-9 too, but he has a freakish 7-7" wingspan, and we wouldn't have to trade up to get him. If they can trade up, I would pick Williams from Arizona over Kanter.

If they stay at 6, I hope they go after a backup PG (Knight from Kentucky, Walker from UConn), then take a wing player at 12 (Leonard from SDSU or Jones from Kentucky).

• SloanHater Farmingtown, IL
    April 22, 2011 11:46 a.m.

Nice work on the one-sided article Jody.

Is it any wonder that KOC lists all the excuses he did to cover the fact he gave an assistant coach a multi-year deal before they even knew what they were getting into with Corbin?

For all the pro-Corbin supporters I'd love to hear one coaching decision or adjustment that Corbin made in his 30 games that inspires your confidence? You really saw a silver lining as the Jazz lost to some of the worst teams in the NBA on their HOME COURT??

I think Corbin may be a great a assistant coach, but his carousal starting line-up, inability to make defensive adjustments, offensive ineptitude, and unwillingness to play the rookies (minus the last 3 games) lead me to believe that he is trying his best to copycat Sloan/Johnson and has little coaching ability.

I also can't recall hearing one Jazz player over the years praise Corbin's work as an assistant. Compare that to Tom Thibodeau who was constantly lauded by the all-stars in Boston.

I hope the Jazz reach out to Jeff Van Gundy to fill their asst. coaching vacancy.

• Bugoff Houston, TX
    April 22, 2011 11:38 a.m.

What Corbin really needs is some more talent to work with. The Jazz will never be any good until they get enough shooting to open up the inside and spread the floor so AJ, Favors and Millap have room to work.

The Jazz shoot poorly because Sloan did not like jumps shots and complained about jump shots vs going inside. Going in to pack paint did not and can not work so the team would revert to jump shots. However, most of the players were not good jump shooter.

I expect KOC and Corbin to fix that problem. The Jazz do not need to try to become ORL but they do need more outside shooting to get their offense to work.

The Sloan defense needs to be replaced badly. It is a very poorly designed defense that begs teams to shoot 3s. When they shoot and hit 3s that opens up the middle and exposes the slow weak interior Jazz defense. The Jazz defense is a mess.

• Sokol Las Vegas, NM
    April 22, 2011 11:25 a.m.

We will see....I think though after watching Mathews score 25 for Portland...How about Ty stays and KOC goes immediately?

• JazzFanMontana Hamilton, MT
    April 22, 2011 11:02 a.m.

Corbin was put into a very difficult position and did an admirable job. I was getting sick and tired of people bashing Corbin and wishing Sloan was back. People completely forgot that the Jazz lost 10 out of 14 games before Sloan walked out. Sloan lost the passion to coach and therefore lost his team. Thankfully, he recognized it and called it quits. He was done and I am glad he walked out when he did.

Corbin and the Jazz were able to give us a glimpse into the future. Jazz fans are excited again and I think this slight rebuilding process needed to happen so that the Jazz can make the next step towards a real run at a championship. 45-50 win seasons and early playoff exits leave the Jazz with low draft picks making it nearly impossible to land that special super star player who can help bring the championship home. This is the first time I can ever remember a team with 50 win talent getting 2 lottery picks. I have never been more excited about Jazz basketball.

I think yarrlydarb is right, Corbin will bring a championship in less than 5 years.

• JBQ Saint Louis, MO
    April 22, 2011 10:23 a.m.

I happen to like Corbin for his DePaul connections. Wasn't his son Mr. Basketball? This means that he is a "family guy". He appears to have all of the tools. However, his players are "another story". Right now, there is a great deal of sycophanting (snuggling up to the coach). Some deep changes need to be made. There is a lot of "dead wood" not only on the bench but on the floor. Right now, Favors at 19 is the "real deal". They need to build around him. They need to evaluate Tomic. They need to evaluate the draft and their two high picks. If they can get Kanter, they need to trade up from 12 to go with their 6. The story now is that Kanter's dad wants him back in school and will sue the NCAA (with Calipari's blessing) to get him back there.

• Jazz-Nation Lehi, UT
    April 22, 2011 10:10 a.m.

The future is so bright, I gotta wear shades!

GO JAZZ!!

• WhatsGoingOnHere Ogden, UT
    April 22, 2011 9:37 a.m.

The biggest thing that Ty needs is an attitude. He needs to believe that he can win 82 games next season, and get his players to believe that as well. After they start to believe, they will then be able to put the work in that would get them a championship. Dream BIG and work hard.

• rjpkp Cottonwood Heights, UT
    April 22, 2011 8:16 a.m.

Doug10: There were no vacancies on the coaching staff for Hornacek. The Jazz were already carrying three assistants: Johnson, Corbin and Layden. Jerry did bring Hornacek in as a shooting coach, but Jeff also didn't want to commit full time due to family priorities I believe.

• Dr Truth SLC, ut
    April 22, 2011 7:57 a.m.

I'm hoping Corbin installs a new defensive philosophy that guards the 3 point line better. The Jazz need to stop pushing people to the middle of the floor, and push them baseline. And most of all the Jazz need to stop fouling everyone, it's bad enough that the Jazz give up 3 points outside and then they compound the problem by giving up 3 point plays inside as well.

@ Doug, Jerry never had any openings on his coaching staff. The fact that they let Hornie hang around as a shooting coach should tell you something. I guess Hornie's work with Hayward this season doesn't count??

My guess is Layden would be the weakest link as far as coaching goes, however, it helps having him around for evaluating talent. I'm excited to see what kind of players the Jazz will draft and or trade for with Jerry gone....

• In My Humble Opinion South Jordan, UT
    April 22, 2011 7:52 a.m.

The Jazz' "bright future" led Portland to a win against Dallas last night.

• In My Humble Opinion South Jordan, UT
    April 22, 2011 7:31 a.m.

Doug, Hornie was unwilling to coach full-time while his kids were young.

• Doug10 Roosevelt, UT
    April 22, 2011 7:02 a.m.

only bad mark against Ty was his choosing Hornacek to be a full time coach. Sloan had been around Hornacek for years yet had not chosen him to coach full time. There is a reason for that and it seems to be that Hornacek cannot coach.

Hopefully this was Ty's inexperience but Hornacek was the Jazz shooting coach and the JAzz shoot worse than 80% of the teams in the league.

To come through a rugged part of the season and have his team still intact says volumes about his ability to communicate with his team.

Good luck Ty.

• yarrlydarb Ogden, UT
    April 22, 2011 6:33 a.m.

Ty Corbin will bring the Jazz an NBA Championship, and he'll do it in five or less years.

• scalman Temecula, CA
    April 22, 2011 5:38 a.m.

I agree, give the man two years to see how he can lead/help transform this team. Hopefully, with a PG like Harris and maybe drafting someone like Kemba, Corbin will change the offense a bit, allow it to evolve in a less predictable way. The Jazz players are lucky they got a level-headed coach who, like Coach Sloan, played many years in the league. Just wishing KOC some luck in the lottery, now. Go Jazz.

• Anonigma Murray, UT
    April 22, 2011 1:52 a.m.

This article is a nice time to remember the significance of that win in LA.

1) LA was trying REALLY hard to get that 2 spot
    2) Jazz had a ton of injuries (I believe 9 players dressed, no Fes)
    3) Jazz haven't won LA at LA for a loooong time
    4) Hayward and Favors showed a combo pick-n-roll that marked the future potential of the Jazz.
    5) Both the rooks had career nights. Hayward could actually keep up with Kobe. Favors matched up well against any of the LA bigs. This is huge for the future of the Jazz.
    6) Hayward showed big-time leadership and composure down that 4th quarter stretch and it makes me think he'll be a great closer for this team.

Ofcourse, LA had an off-night. But part of that can be attributed to the Jazz's defense.
    Anyways, I know its putting more icing on the cake, but its nights like those where I believe Corbin will do great for the Jazz.

• Kakashi Tokyo, Japan
    April 22, 2011 12:31 a.m.

to be honest...every coach has a rough start...even the great Jerry Sloan...so this is why im willing to give the next two years to prove his worth...im hoping he'll surprise us next season...by getting us the the WCF...we do have at least an 8th pick on next year's draft...

• byronbca Salt Lake City, UT
    April 21, 2011 11:20 p.m.

I think this article is spot on. The team Corbin was coaching wasn't the same team that started the season. Over the last 5 games he was able to win with a team that benefited more from losing, that aint easy. He never once had a full roster at his disposal.

I don't think he did a great job as head coach this year but he did a respectable job. Next season when he has a chance to put in place and run his own system we'll find out for sure what he is made of.

• Daveman Pleasant Grove, UT
    April 21, 2011 10:55 p.m.

Considering the hand he was dealt, give Ty an B+ for the partial season. The teams main MO was not to crack under the unique and unusual circumstances the season brought. They bent a bit, but inevitably never broke. That takes leadership and dedication at every level. Since the team is heavily "re-tooling" Ty needs at least two full seasons to demonstrate his full repetoire as a coach (and no, a lockout shortened season does not count as a full season). Let's hope KOC has some good draft/free agent tricks up his sleeve to give Ty some more ammo to shoot with.

• Captain L Provo, UT
    April 21, 2011 10:34 p.m.

I think Ty will do a good job, he needs time to evaluate things and he will need time to see how some of his players respond and how they come back to camp. He has alot of young players and players who may be asked to play different roles and he will need to see how they respond to what he wants them to do. Ty has shown the ability to adjust and try different lineups etc and it will be interesting to see how he comes out this fall and what things he tries to implement.