Utah

Book of Mormon: Printing passes 150 million

Comments

• Joggle Clearfield, UT
    April 22, 2011 12:51 p.m.

@Pagan

Agreed! Things do happen when people pray!! It's called coincidental false residual affective disorder which is a result you assume came from God without evidence that it really did....but there is a Dial-a-Prayer for atheists now. You call up and it rings and rings but nobody answers!!

@JM

Please tell me where I can apply to be a paid anti-Mormon! Since you always accuse people of such....I might as well get paid for it whether I am or not! I belong to no ~anti~ organization. My post are purely my own opinion which I have a right to express whether you like it or not! Disagreement does not necessarily make you an ~anti~!! If I am an anti....than so are you! Afterall....you disagree with atheism, agnosticism, and anything that disagrees with your religion, right? Doesn't that make you an anti??? Think about it.....and then look in the mirror! Your accusations are not helping your credibility!

• mtgregson Holladay, UT
    April 21, 2011 2:33 p.m.

The Book of Mormon Testifies that Jesus is the very Christ. In doing so it lays down clearly the plan for us as God's children, us. The spirit will testify of its truthfulness as you read it by filling you with, peace, joy, and you will be filled with light. I know this to be the truth. There is darkness in this world and there is light. Light's source is Jesus Christ and this earthly experience is not just chance because two asteroids collided and we landed at the perfect distance from the sun and here we are. This earthly life's purpose is to test us to see what we as individuals will choose. Will we seek, find, and live by truth, or will we follow darkness, and set ourselves up as the God of our own world and follow the whispers of the adversary telling us we need no one but ourselves. We are not smart enough to create our own way! We pick one or the.

• JM Lehi, UT
    April 21, 2011 11:34 a.m.

After many discussions with DN anti-Mormons I can say they seem insincere (see my last comment pg3), but only God knows the heart. I cant judge Vanka, Vanka cant judge Bill.

I can say the BoM promises published by the LDS Church organization include several covenant clauses which put responsibility upon the sincere truth seeker. God keeps His parts of His contracts with me.
    I seek long, nourish the seeds, and find. But, as I've oft explained, He, and His Church, do not intend or promise to drag anyone up the Holy Mountain. If you wish to obtain, you must climb.

If you dont obtain, for whatever reason, the personal responsibility clause makes it unfair to go about all day discouraging, mocking, sowing doubtful seeds and pointing great spacious fingers at those who are sincerely holding tight the Word through the darkness.

True, I cant question if Vanka was sincere during those many years of seeking, reading, living, attending Church, praying, etc. Nor can he fairly discourage others from seeking, or fairly question ill was more sincere, or what I have found about God. For me, God keeps His promises always. I sometimes fail, but if I sincerely

• Jax Bountiful, UT
    April 21, 2011 10:20 a.m.

One thing that is consistent in my experiences with organizations like the LDS church, the Scientologist church, and the JW church; if things don't go the way they promise you they will, it is your fault. You are are in error. You made a mistake. You are not worthy. Emperor's New Clothes anybody?

• JM Lehi, UT
    April 21, 2011 9:23 a.m.

Vanka is a great guy and honest. But im not sure if Vanka is from Provo, Canada or similiar to TheVanka, or why some spend so much time attacking others faith with many different stories. I dont know if they are activists, or paid to post anti-Mormon propaganda or "destroy the Utah Brand" like those I met on Tribhate, who want Mormons bombed, eliminated, exterminated etc (all things really said). Or if some hate Mormons for fun or??? ; )

I do know Vanka gives no evidence for his faiths, and some friendly fulltime anti-Mormons recently challenged me to give BoM evidences, and Vanka also.

I agreed, and, not similiar to schoolyard bullies, some quickly cried insanity and proudly ran away, like Pythons' Sir Robin. (This Python isnt similar to Monte Python. Two Sir Robins, yes, both ran away, true, but there were no anti-Mormons in his Movie, although I have no idea about the movie, yet everyone quotes Pythons' grail movie anyway, which proves Sir Robin isnt a similar name to vague Sir Robin and running away is circumstantial unless we prove what they ran from, because it had nothing to do with Davinci, except the grail...: ) : ) : )

• Brahmabull sandy, ut
    April 21, 2011 8:38 a.m.

Bill - a couple of things. The quote you quoted from vanka about the book of mormon, it in no way attacks you personally. He is stating that he doesn't believe it and it is irrational to do so. I am not saying he hasn't ever posted something rude, we are here on this thread talking about this article. You should not be rude and arrogant just because somebody else is, that is rediculous.
    Next - you stated that god can't give one person one answer and one person another different answer. That is untrue. God tells millions of people every day by the holy ghost that the catholic church is true, that the baptist church is true, that the methodist church is true, that the mormon church is true. If the holy ghost can speak to a person so clearly, then why are millions and even billions of people in disagreement on what is true? Doesn't sound like god is giving everybody the same answer to me. And I don't think that you can say that your 'feeling' is more valid than the other religions 'feelings' that would be pretty arroagant to assume. Think about it.

• Bill in Nebraska Maryville, MO
    April 20, 2011 8:28 p.m.

To Arizona and Enough is Enough: You said I was rude and arrogant. Fred Vader made a comment that maybe you should look at other posts such as this from another thread.

"Believing in consecrated oil, priesthood power, the 3 Nephites, and the Whitehorse Prophecy are the Mormon equivalents, and are every bit as "superstitious" and irrational."

There are many others I could post. I have been extremely nice to Vanka but have seen her/him post numerous things that are rude, arrogant and totally irresponsible yet it gets past the censors.
    The above post that since the Lord didn't answer their prayer led them to believe in no GOD or anything. Answers are given to each and every prayer. The decision to receive it is up to the individual. The person either respects the answer they get or they don't. Some say the Lord told me the Book of Mormon is not true. This can't be true because the Lord won't tell one via the Holy Ghost it is and another it isn't. The Lord knows what is in our heart and whether we will accept the truth or not.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    April 20, 2011 5:41 p.m.

@In my humble opinion

"So is are the Illiad and the Oddysee. So is Shakespere. Doesn't make them the Word of God. "

Oh, I'm not saying anything based on something we know is historical is the word of God, I'm saying that if something were to be considered the Word of God, historical accuracy would be something that would be useful in helping determine that it is.

• Pagan Salt Lake City, UT
    April 20, 2011 3:42 p.m.

'No matter how many people pray, no matter how sincerely they pray, no matter how worthy the prayer, nothing ever happens.' - Joggle | 12:24 p.m.

Oh. I dunno about that.

I think that some believe something may happen to them. i.e. if a person lost a leg and prayed for a leg and found a crutch to help them walk, they might take that crutch as a blessing from the devine.

Did I say you should think so? No.

Your belief is fine, when it stops at you. Taking action to help others, based on said belief is great.

My example? I found a King James Bible on my way to Pride.

My mom said it was a 'sign' that I should go back to church.

I pointed out to her, I wouldn't have FOUND that bible if I didn't go to Pride.

We've been good ever since.

I compare faith to Monty Python and the Holy Grail. The scene where King Author tells the pesants about the lady of the lake. The pesent replies:

'If I said that some watery tart threw a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!'

• Fred Vader Oklahoma City, OK
    April 20, 2011 1:17 p.m.

@Enough is enough and In Arizona:

Rather than beat up on Bill or feel the need to apologize on his behalf to Vanka, perhaps you may want to check out more of Vanka's posts on other articles past and present. He/she posts under multiple names, he/she always feigns offense, and more often than not is guilty of being just "self-righteous[], insolen[t] and arrogan[t]" as you are accusing Bill of being.

Personally, I take most posters "offenses", both towards others, or towards the church, with a grain of salt. Vanka and Bill are both big boys/girls and can easily handle the back and forth they constantly engage in. No need to apologize for the church, for Bill, or for Vanka and his/her multiple on-line personalities.

• RanchHand Huntsville, UT
    April 20, 2011 12:50 p.m.

@rifleman;

Yes sir.

• Joggle Clearfield, UT
    April 20, 2011 12:24 p.m.

No matter how many people pray, no matter how sincerely they pray, no matter how worthy the prayer, nothing ever happens. If we pray for anything that is impossible -- for example, regenerating an amputated leg...it never happens. We all know that. If we pray for anything that is possible, the results of the prayer will unfold in exact accord with the normal laws of probability or according to the desired needs or preferences of the person praying. What we are seeing instead is a simple coincidence or the natural effects of self-convincing minds. There are reasons why many people CAN'T believe the BoM no matter how sincere they are in seeking confirmation. In your mind, you will start coming up with a thousand excuses or reasons why a prayer hasn't been answered because to acknowledge your own mind or emotions have deceived you would be a difficult admission when you are strongly influenced by your religion and/or personal needs or desires.

Most people believe in God for a reason and that reason can rule out in advance anything to the contrary. Many want to believe though, but would feel untrue to themselves without personally sufficient_evidence.

• Enough is enough! Saint George, UT
    April 20, 2011 11:50 a.m.

@In Arizona Thank you!

Again, Vanka, peace and love to you. Thank you for reading The Book of Mormon and for your comments. Bill from Nebraska and others are rude, not what I have found the LDS mainstream to be. There is nothing to be gained by Bill's (and others') display of self-righteousness, insolence and arrogance...but there is much to be lost in friendship, understanding, working for the common good, etc.

The Book of Mormon and LDS doctrines work for me. If those beliefs are not for you or someone else, so be it. May you be blessed along life's journey.

• Brahmabull sandy, ut
    April 20, 2011 10:38 a.m.

Bill from Nebraska does not represent the majority of the LDS church (hopefully) in his poor missionary work. His rude attitude in saying it is your fault for not getting an answer does not reflect the truth. The truth is there are many people of other faiths that have received an answer that their church is right. So, Bill does that make their answers about their faith any less valid than your answer that the Book of Mormon is true? I don't think so. Truth is in the eye of the seeker. Facts never change, oh wait if you study mormon history the leaders are constantly changing the facts. How can the 'one true church' hide its own history? just a thought.

• In Arizona Mesa, AZ
    April 20, 2011 8:59 a.m.

Vanka, don't pay any attention to Bill or others who are saying it is your fault for not getting an answer. I respect your desire and effort in reading a book that is not your religion. I hope you picked up a few principles that can help an already good person like yourself. The majority of the LDS members don't judge or criticize you.

• Pagan Salt Lake City, UT
    April 20, 2011 8:35 a.m.

'And if I were to pray about it, sincerely, and get a different answer, that it was in fact not true? What then?' - RanchHand | 7:18 a.m.

RanchHand, I think the message some of the 'devout' are trying to say:

'Pray about it.'

'But I didn't get the answer.'

'Pray about it.'

'But I didn't get the answer.'

Is really:

'Pray until you agree with it.'

• The Vanka Provo, UT
    April 20, 2011 8:27 a.m.

Rifleman,

Not believing in god was the result of not receiving an answer, not the cause.

• Rifleman Salt Lake City, Utah
    April 20, 2011 8:26 a.m.

Re: RanchHand | 7:18 a.m. April 20, 2011
    "btw, I've read the book, numerious times, in two languages. It still doesn't make it true."

Most folks who have have read the Book of Mormon "numerous times in two languages" are missionaries who served in a foreign country. A percentage of that group leave the Church upon returning home for various reasons.

• RanchHand Huntsville, UT
    April 20, 2011 7:18 a.m.

"Anyone who reads the Book of Mormon with the intention to know whether or not it is really true will come away with a testimony of its truthfulness. Pray to know and then it comes. "
    ---
    Many of you need to look up the term: "a priori". There is a ton of arrogance in the comments here and that is very offputting to non-mormons.

• Rifleman Salt Lake City, Utah
    April 20, 2011 6:49 a.m.

Re: The Vanka | 10:01 p.m. April 19, 2011
    "I say there is no god to BE a "respecter of persons"."

How can anyone possible expect to receive an answer from a god they don't believe in.

God allows the sun to rise and set on both the good and the evil, allows nature to take it's course, and judges His children based on how they deal with the challenges they encounter.

• rickplatts Ridgecrest, CA
    April 20, 2011 1:45 a.m.

God's plan is not something to be deduced by logic alone, It requires revelation from God. -- Neal A. Maxwell

• In My Humble Opinion South Jordan, UT
    April 20, 2011 12:39 a.m.

Atl134, "The Bible is at least based on historical areas that we have evidence existed and many people that we know existed. Plus, let's just say "God took the plates away" isn't very convincing to people."

So is are the Illiad and the Oddysee. So is Shakespere. Doesn't make them the Word of God. The Bible and Book of Mormon contain Christ's teaching, which when read and applied, change the reader.

• Joggle Clearfield, UT
    April 20, 2011 12:29 a.m.

I was born atheist, was introduced to Christianity as a child and felt deeply that religion was like the fairy tales I heard at the same time. I became an agnostic, but had a desire to know if God existed. I studied religion and explored various belief systems and found out I have a complete absence of a belief that there is a deity. No amount of reading the Bible or BoM....or any other text will change my mind. I think it's illogical to believe some book is true before you read it. If a holy_book is true....it should be believable on its own without requiring you to believe first. The Mormon way to determine whether a particular claim is true or not is inherently flawed. Based upon feelings and bereft of logic, the method can only ever render a positive answer. This is circular reasoning. First, after assuming (expecting) the BoM to be true, one is to then ask God to reveal that it is true. So to establish the proof of this book, one must first accept it to be true! Such logic is worthless, but is typical of the subjective nature of Mormonism.

• Enough is enough! Saint George, UT
    April 20, 2011 12:09 a.m.

Vanka,

I'm sorry for the unkind comments you have received. My fellow church members should know better. Peace be with you.

• The Vanka Provo, UT
    April 19, 2011 10:01 p.m.

Rifleman,

"Is god a respector of persons?"

You tell me.

Apparently your god either caused or stood idly by while tsunamis and earthquakes destroyed the lives of half a million innocent people, men women and children, who had done nothing to deserve a "death sentence".

Meanwhile, your god is blamed for prospering the United States of America, including all the "sinners" in Las Vegas, New Orleans, and downtown Salt Lake City. Bad people succeed and prosper all the time. Horrible things happen to good people all the time. Little children are washed to sea in "acts of God".

Is your god a respecter of persons? Look around you at the evidence, then tell me what answer makes sense to you.

And if god is a respecter of persons in very fact, yet the "scriptures" say he is not, shall you dismiss the evidence and reality before your eyes, or dismiss the scriptures as "true"?

I say there is no god to BE a "respecter of persons". And if there is no god to respect anyone, that is all the more reason why we must respect everyone.

• BlueBaron Murray, UT
    April 19, 2011 9:41 p.m.

John 10:27: A great and wise man once said...

"My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me"

If the Book of Mormon is true, then it is according to the voice of that great and wise man, and He will in good time make it evident to all.

If it is not true, then He will do likewise.

In the mean time: If a book makes you a better person, read it, if not find one that does

• Chris Paul Salt Lake City, UT
    April 19, 2011 9:23 p.m.

@Rifleman

Technically, millions have *claimed* to have received an authentic god-produced spiritual witness that it is true. There is no way for us to confirm whether it was an actual revelation or not. The data is subjective. It's impossible to get at.

• Rifleman Salt Lake City, Utah
    April 19, 2011 9:13 p.m.

Re: Vanka | 8:48 p.m. April 19, 2011
    "I did not get an answer confirming the truth of the BOM or the LDS Church."

Millions of people have read the BOM and gained an testimony of it's truthfulness. How is it that some receive and some don't? Is God a respecter of persons?

• TaipeiModerate New Haven, CT
    April 19, 2011 9:12 p.m.

I am thankful for the Book of Mormon. I was formally an atheist/agnostic, had a desire to know if God existed, and if this was His true church. I received a clear answer that the Book of Mormon was scripture. The teachings of the gospel of Jesus Christ have changed my life dramatically. I have since had even more dramatic witnesses of the reality of Jesus Christ, this church, and His gospel.

• christoph Brigham City, UT
    April 19, 2011 9:07 p.m.

The Book of Mormon is a test-----to see if one really believes the Bible or not.

• Vanka Provo, UT
    April 19, 2011 8:48 p.m.

attentive,

I really, truly, prayed to KNOW.

I did not pray for a "sign".

I did not get an answer confirming the truth of the BOM or the LDS Church.

• Livingstone Orem, UT
    April 19, 2011 8:21 p.m.

I often wonder if the Book of Mormon would be more popular if it weren't always touted first for its super-natural claims of coming forth. For instance, it is a strong work--an epic really--that highlights universal human themes. I have not seen it published in a form that appeals to readers' literary interests first, but always as something to pray about as a way into the LDS church. I think many people--even if they never have an interest in Mormonism as the "truth" would enjoy and benefit from reading it. Many potential readers seem to be turned off because they associate it with missionaries trying to convert them, and that may be a barrier for them against taking interest.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    April 19, 2011 8:18 p.m.

"I don't understand how someone who has a total faith in the Bible will not accept the Book of Mormon as true and scripture."

• attentive Salt Lake City, UT
    April 19, 2011 8:16 p.m.

Yanka: If you really, truly prayed to KNOW, then you would have gotten a real answer that it IS true. If you prayed for a SIGN, then you were trying to disprove it.

• Chris Paul Salt Lake City, UT
    April 19, 2011 8:10 p.m.

I have read the Book of Mormon and have received an answer. That it was true.

However, after much research, I have concluded that I could only guess what an authentic spiritual confirmation is. It's not entirely honest for me to say, "yes I have just received a personal revelation from a god" because I have no frame of reference. I have no prior knowledge. I only have blind faith that what others say is true - that the spirit is this or that.

While, the subjectivity of the experiment isn't necessarily a problem (even the scientific method is subjective), the fact that the data is also subjective is the problem. No where else in life can we claim objective knowledge based on subjective data - and the same applies to prayer.

I've been told repeatedly that recognizing the Spirit takes practice. But this assumes we have a reliably way to distinguish authentic revelations from human produced feelings or thoughts.

As far as I know, there is no way to tell if a revelation is indeed from an external being or not.

This is one of the many reasons why I left religion. I'm finally at peace.

• The Vanka Provo, UT
    April 19, 2011 7:35 p.m.

Bill,

Please review the history of the Salem Witch Trials.

In that astounding history of religion gone very wrong is the same reasoning as you find in Moroni's Promise, and is represented in your comments.

How many people have to be falsely accused of sin, insincerity, pride, and all the other things of which you have accused me - without basis whatsoever - before religionists wake up and see the fascism and error of that thinking?

It is truly dangerous doctrine.

• The Vanka Provo, UT
    April 19, 2011 7:33 p.m.

Bill,

Please review the history of the Salem Witch Trials.

It is truly dangerous doctrine.

• Bill in Nebraska Maryville, MO
    April 19, 2011 7:17 p.m.

I know for fact that those who really has real intent to know if the Book of Mormon is true can and will receive an answer. My answer is no different than what President Hinckly has stated. I don't understand how someone who has a total faith in the Bible will not accept the Book of Mormon as true and scripture. Vanka, you have proven to be even more arrogant because all I have said is that I know the answer comes that the Lord answers all prayers. The problem is that so many expect the answer their way and not in the way the Lord answers them.

I've seen the Book of Mormon change lives and I've seen the worst people change. I've seen confirmed atheist who have read the Book of Mormon change to being a Christian. Vanka all you have proven is that those who are anti-Christ can and will not accept the answers as they come to them. If you go nothing it is your fault and yours alone. The promise is real. I stand with my first stand.

• Full-on double rainbow Bluffdale, UT
    April 19, 2011 7:07 p.m.

Bill puts bluntly what the church essentially implies: "Failure to receive it any other way is the fault of the individual not the promise." Whether this is true or not, your going to alienate a lot of people with that attitude.

• Vanka Provo, UT
    April 19, 2011 6:48 p.m.

Bill,

It is people like you, with your arrogant and demeaning attitude toward everyone who does not see things the way you do, that testifies to me there is not god, that the LDS Church is not what it claims to be, and the BOM is not "true".

Thank you for confirming my "testimony".

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    April 19, 2011 6:27 p.m.

If J.R.R. Tolkien put something like Moroni's promise at the end of the Lord of the Rings it wouldn't make the books true. So before we go about the whole business of using Moroni's promise to make an argument that someone didn't try enough or ignored a message... don't we first have to establish whether or not the Book of Mormon (and by extension Moroni's promise) is even true in the first place?

• Bill in Nebraska Maryville, MO
    April 19, 2011 6:20 p.m.

Vanka: I didn't call you a liar. If you took that way then maybe you should look more carefully to yourself. I know that the truth comes as it is mentioned in the Book of Mormon. Failure to receive it any other way is the fault of the individual not the promise. That is plain and simple. I don't need your respect but I do know the promise is true. I don't just believe it I know.

I also know that when one says they did everything the promise says, that is not true. Your answer came, you just didn't get it the way you expected to get it. That is the truth of the whole situation. The fact of how you have in the past belittled those who believe and have called us liars for saying so is you calling the kettle black. The answer came, you just weren't humble enough to receive it.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    April 19, 2011 6:19 p.m.

@Bill in Nebraska
    "What you said is not true. You say you did everything that Moroni says which is to read it and with REAL INTENT to know if it is true."

Though your statement can only be true if indeed the Book of Mormon and Moroni's promise is true.

Frankly I don't think Moroni's promise or the Book of Mormon is true (kind of an obvious motivator for why I'm inactive). But let's take my best friend as an example. She's an LDS member who was engaged to a Lutheran and they delayed their marriage for a couple years because of this religion thing. I'm pretty sure he was sincere in his reading of it (heck, I'm sure at least at times he wanted an affirmative answer to make it easier) but he still got nothing. They did end up eventually getting married though they still are of different faiths.

• Richard Saunders Provo, UT
    April 19, 2011 6:19 p.m.

@ Pagan
    and estimates put the number of books sold from the Goosebumps series at about 350 million worldwide. Looking up stats is fun!

I don't believe the Book of Mormon to be true due to the number of copies printed. Truth is truth, whether one person or six billion believe it. I can see how you think the article might insinuate the importance/truth of the Book of Mormon based on an impressive number, but we don't all do that. The Book of Mormon changes lives one at a time, and I think that's the most impressive thing about it, not one hundred and fifty million copies printed.

• JoRizz Framingham, MA
    April 19, 2011 6:09 p.m.

The book of Mormon and the Koran have similar life story's. The Life of Mohammad and the life of Joseph Smith are very similar.

Joe

• In Arizona Mesa, AZ
    April 19, 2011 5:59 p.m.

Doesn't it teach in the BOM charity, compassion and how we are not to judge others unrighteously? Lots of judging going on here, at least that's my judgement :)

• In My Humble Opinion South Jordan, UT
    April 19, 2011 5:35 p.m.

Thank you, rjpkp. My thoughts stated more succinctly. Love and respect are so much more powerful than judgement.

• Vanka Provo, UT
    April 19, 2011 5:34 p.m.

Bill,

With all due respect (if any), it is extremely presumptuous and rude of you to not only call me a liar, but to claim you know anything about what I felt, intended, expected, or ignored in my experience with investigating the LDS Church and the BOM.

I am telling you I did everything (and I mean everything) required by "Moroni's promise" and I did it for years, and I got nothing.

It is extremely off-putting when LDS play your game: tell investigators there is something wrong with THEM if they don't get "the right answer".

Let me repeat my "beyond a shadow of a doubt" testimony: I got nothing.

• In My Humble Opinion South Jordan, UT
    April 19, 2011 5:30 p.m.

I'm LDS, with a testimony of the Book of Mormon. My wife and I read it daily, and it blesses us individually and as a couple.

That said, I am disappointed by the posture some are taking toward Vanka, like Kramer's Corner. Vanka stated his/her viewpoint/experience, and you projected all kinds of motives and feelings -- anger, hurt, hate -- as well as speculated on experiences -- been hurt by someone -- onto Vanka, none of which there was evidence for in Vanka's post.

Bill in Nebraska said Vanka didn't have "real intent." I don't know whether or not Vanka had "real intent." It is not mine to judge. What I am confident of is that nothing Bill, Kramer or others have said would persuade Vanka in any way.

I was once taught priesthood influence offers clarification and alternatives, priestcraft uses force. Priesthood influence uses "gentleness, meekness, and love unfeigned." The opposite is to exercise "control, dominion, compulsion." One cannot use satan's methods of coercion and force and expect to get God's result. Only Christ's methods can achieve His objectives.

• rjpkp Cottonwood Heights, UT
    April 19, 2011 5:09 p.m.

It is interesting that some of you are responding somewhat forcefully to Vanka when you don't even know her. You don't know what answers she received (if any), so please reserve your judgements. Whether or not someone has received an answer regarding the truthfulness of the Book of Mormon is personal, and quite frankly, not debatable on this public forum.

• christoph Brigham City, UT
    April 19, 2011 4:54 p.m.

No American book comes close to the 150 million mark; quite a remarkable thing for a farmer in New York------- and for the many who have helped finance the publishing.

• Bill in Nebraska Maryville, MO
    April 19, 2011 4:38 p.m.

To Vanka: What you said is not true. You say you did everything that Moroni says which is to read it and with REAL INTENT to know if it is true. Then you say I got nothing. You got something but it wasn't in the way YOU WERE EXPECTING it thus you ignored the answer you received. This is what many who state the same thing as you always get and reason why they say they feel it is not true.

You are expecting something huge and extraordinary and that is not the way the answer comes. It comes piece meal and if you are expecting the rest you will never understand or know the correct answer.

I've read the Book of Mormon numerous times, almost twice a year and each time I read it I learn something new. Some times I have a new question come up and I ask about it and for some unknown reason during my next reading, a talk in sacrament, general conference or just listening to others discuss it my answer comes. Not in the way man expects it but in the way the Lord presents it to me.

• BobP Port Alice, B.C.
    April 19, 2011 3:35 p.m.

An interesting bit of miscellany about the Book of Mormon. The First Korean translation was done by a man who was not LDS. There is a new translation out recently. One of those who worked on the new one was my Stake President.

• Independent Henderson, NV
    April 19, 2011 2:40 p.m.

This life isn't over yet, Vanka.

You'll get your answer. God fulfills all his promises in his own time.

You'll probably hate me for saying that. I forgive you.

• Kramer's Corner Penryn, CA
    April 19, 2011 2:37 p.m.

Vanka, You seem to want to belittle those that have a strong religious stand. I hope that you are not trying to distroy their faith. Are you angry with someone that expresses belief? If so, why? You've probably been hurt by someone in the past and that is a sad thing to carry for a lifetime. Hope it works out for you. Hate never seems to resolve an issue.

• Pagan Salt Lake City, UT
    April 19, 2011 2:12 p.m.

150 Million. Thats awesome.

Esitmates put:

6 Billion of the King James Bible.

800 Million of the Koran.

• Vanka Provo, UT
    April 19, 2011 1:59 p.m.

attentive | 1:08 p.m. April 19, 2011

You wrote:
    "Anyone who reads the Book of Mormon with the intention to know whether or not it is really true will come away with a testimony of its truthfulness."

That is not true. I read it, prayed about it, and did all the things Moroni's challenge requires, for many years, and got nothing.

Please don't continue making false promises. It is very disappointing to others when they are not fulfilled.

• FDRfan Sugar City, ID
    April 19, 2011 1:23 p.m.

The Book of Mormon is not only a guide to personal salvation it is a handbook for national salvation. Its principles of government could be used without reference to any particular religion. It should be quoted often, especially by LDS politicians. The principles will stand on their own because of their practical applications.

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    April 19, 2011 1:09 p.m.

Ernest. Learn to read! It will change your life. Each Book of Mormon has the potential of being read many times by many people. The real number of times it has been read is likely in the hundreds of millions.
    Good luck!

• attentive Salt Lake City, UT
    April 19, 2011 1:08 p.m.

Anyone who reads the Book of Mormon with the intention to know whether or not it is really true will come away with a testimony of its truthfulness. Pray to know and then it comes. It has helped me in more ways than I can say. Just the other day one of my children told me that they noticed how much more peaceful and happy I seem to be when I start my day by reading the scriptures. I am very thankful for them and for Joseph Smith who gave his all, his very life, because he knew that they were real.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    April 19, 2011 12:40 p.m.

And about .7M who've actually read it.

• bluecoug89 Highland, UT
    April 19, 2011 12:33 p.m.

How wonderful to see this great and true book fill the earth and be translated into many languages. This book has also really changed my life and I am so grateful for it. I hope that many more will come to know of its truthfulness.

• ADN Weiser, ID
    April 19, 2011 12:25 p.m.

I love the Book of Mormon, it has changed my life dramatically. I will never be the same (in a good way). It has brought so much joy and happiness as I have applied it's teachings to my personal life. Very similar to the Bible and what it has done and how it has affected my life. I thank the heavens for a God given words through prophets.

• Dektol Powell, OH
    April 19, 2011 12:10 p.m.

How many copies of the koran have been printed now? Many believe it is scripture also.