Utah Utes football: Defense shines during scrimmage

• worf Mcallen, TX
    April 15, 2011 3:41 p.m.

Defense shines because of dull offense. D-line is average at best.

• Ibleedcrimson Cottonwood Heights, UT
    April 15, 2011 10:37 a.m.

Thanks for being reasonable about the Utes."

I second that sentiment with one addition

Thanks for being reasonable about the Utes. For the first time!!

• pocyUte Pocatello, ID
    April 14, 2011 10:45 a.m.

thanks for pointing out what we already knew, namely BYU is not good competition.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    April 14, 2011 12:55 a.m.

It's not a good d-line as much a bad o-line? Defense folds against good competition. Remember TCU, Boise State, & Notre Dame? Utes will never win a conference championship and will be years away from bowl games. Mark these words.

• pocyUte Pocatello, ID
    April 13, 2011 10:46 p.m.

I appreciate the sentiment.

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    April 13, 2011 9:20 p.m.

Thanks for being reasonable about the Utes.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    April 13, 2011 8:16 p.m.

Well I think those are realistic assesments. I agree there is talent there at every position excpt qb. I don't think the qb talent is all that good. But the truth is the qb talent has never been all that great and utah has still had some great seasons. I never thought smith was all that talented but he did fit the system well. I think alot of his success was because defenses hadn't yet figured out how to defend the spread at that time.

I never thought Johnson was all that great a talent either but he was effective and combined with the great defense utah had in '08 he was good enough.

While utahs season will hinge on the defense, which I expect will be good, they have to at least be able to score 28-30 ppg to pull out a winning season. Most of the teams they are playing will be scoring in that range on average.

I think that is going to be tough for them but for the sake of the good ute fans like yourself I hope they can.

• pocyUte Pocatello, ID
    April 13, 2011 7:01 p.m.

you're exactly right, and I said as much in my post, that I figured he would be fully recovered by June. Obviously it would have been better for his progress to have been 100% for spring, but, depending on how he fares health wise, it might be a blessing in disguise that Shreve and Robles get so much work.

I'm not saying he won't make it through the season unscathed, but 2 years running he's been injured. We saw the same thing with BJ until they bulked him up and schemed to protect him his senior year.

• UoU 1991 Park City, UT
    April 13, 2011 6:47 p.m.

Wynn may be throwing, but he's not throwing at anywhere close to full speed. That won't come until at least May and it'll probably be June before Wynn starts practicing with his receivers.

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    April 13, 2011 2:07 p.m.

I seem to remember all last year at this time. All the "Utesie" trolls talking about BYU's QB woes, hahahahaha now it has come back around. The Offense is pathetic, although I do hope Langi plays well, he ruled Bingham. But Wynnie, even if he stays healthy( which he won't in the Pac, USC will put hits on him that will remind him of Jordan Pendleton)
    But even if, he won't be playing in any Pac championship or Rose Bowl. No way you will convince me Wynnie will smoke the Pac-12 with only a few months to prepare. He may beat the mighty Montana State's of the Utseies coming schedule. And so what if he took the Cougs to overtime as a freshman, Max Hall also beat you in his first year too. The rivalry is always a different game.
    I agree with a previous comment, if you listen to your coach, even he is not very confident about his Offense. That's not a good sign folks.

• pocyUte Pocatello, ID
    April 13, 2011 1:12 p.m.

Regarding being worried about Utah's offense. I'm always worried about Utah's offense, but also cautiously optimistic. I'm not as worried about the QB play. 4 picks in a spring scrimmage by the projected #2 and 3 qbs doesn't really concern me. Replacing the running backs will be tough. I expect the receivers to be considerable better than last year. Brooks had alligator arms, and Shakey was not overly effective as a receiver.

The success of the offense will all come down to O-line. replacing Taylor and Shlauderhaff is a tall order. However, I think Davis is a huge upgrade from Miller. I've always felt the Davis hire was the most underrated event of the offseason. If he can get the O-line up to speed, the offense will be fine. That's my biggest worry, is getting them working together. I have confidence that the talent is there, and that Davis will eventually get them reaching their potential, I just hope it is early in the season vs. later.

It was a lot of words, hopefully they made some sense.

• pocyUte Pocatello, ID
    April 13, 2011 1:01 p.m.

Regarding Wynn. I'm cautiously optimistic about him. Based on last year, Wynn was tentative and played scared. Chow has spoken very highly of him (coach speak? probably, but if Wynn is at least understanding the system close to as well as Chow says he is, it should help his learning curve on the field). However, Wynn was a pretty good freshman qb, and showed a lot of promise. The real question is, which is the real Wynn? Is it the freshman Wynn who shook off shaky performances, played with confidence and had a good arm, or is the TCU/Notre Dame Wynn who played scared and confused. As an optimist, I fall in the camp that the real Wynn is closer to the freshman and hopefully last year was a sophomore slump aggravated by (but not completely caused by) injury.

As for him being rusty; he's already throwing, just not in practice, and his shoulder should be up to 100% by June at the latest, so he'll be able to work on timing with his receivers over the summer and then in fall camp.

• pocyUte Pocatello, ID
    April 13, 2011 12:55 p.m.

I'll do the best I can to answer your questions, and I think they are legitimate. Personally don't put much stock into how the team looks, execution wise, in spring. Kyle has always stated the offense is behind the defense at this point, even lat in spring and given the installation of a new offense, they would be even more so. I pay more attention to how focused the team is, and with how much intensity they are practicing with. From all the reports I heard, the team has been working very hard. So the results of the spring scrimmages don't worry me all that much. I'll worry more if Utah only puts 28 points on Montana St.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    April 13, 2011 12:13 p.m.

If Whittingham is running a "vanilla" defense right now that would raise even more concerns about the utah offense wouldn't it? What happens when real defenses are coming at them?

I also don't understand the optimism some of the ute fans on here have about wynn. While he will be back in time for fall camp he will be extremely rusty and he is scared of contact anyway. The west coast offense may be better suited to him but his meager skills and unwillingness to take a hit doesn't bode well.

I really do think you guys should be worried about this. Just like BYU last year had alot of offensive weapons to replace utah has the same problems this year with the added burden of installing an all new offense and a definate upgrade in the quality of defense they will face.

• Ibleedcrimson Cottonwood Heights, UT
    April 13, 2011 9:08 a.m.

"What happens when you have a great defense and a questionable offense?"

If those concerns exist after fall practice then you should be concerned, sheesh it's April, and we're all forming opinions based on 4 or 5 lines buried in the Dnews.

All except troll nation, they will continue to pound out their same tired mantra with two fingers regardless of reality, it's how the learn to read.

• Jeff ls Farr West, 84404
    April 13, 2011 8:26 a.m.

What happens when you have a great defense and a questionable offense? The defense spends a lot of time on the field and here come the injuries. You can survive a game or two but not a whole season. That is my concern for the Utes.

• jefferysl Huntsville, Alabama
    April 13, 2011 7:39 a.m.

Well, I figured that Utah's defense was pretty good. But I didn't think the offense was that bad. Well, we'll see. I suppose if you're missing o-lineman and your starting QB that the offense won't be productive. Still, those stats are pretty shocking. The 4 interceptions (against a mediocre secondary) lead me to believe that the installation of the WCO still has a long way to go. The QBs and receivers are not on the same page with the QB running for his life. I really would like you guys and Colorado to do well in the PAC next year (except against Washington) or the boo birds and whiners will come out and say what stupid idea it was to expand. I don't believe that, not for a minute. Next year will be great! (especially if the TV deal means I get to watch more PAC football down here in SEC land).

• dknight68 Ogden, ut
    April 12, 2011 9:45 p.m.

"PAC 10.2" no such thing, therefore makes no sense. Get more sleep.

• pocyUte Pocatello, ID
    April 12, 2011 9:40 p.m.

also, skywalker, if you followed Utah's spring practices through the years, you would know that Whit always runs a vanilla defense in the spring, so no, that doesn't tell me all I need to know.

Frankly, I don't know why you are getting defensive about my post. I merely pointed out that there are ridiculous notions being thrown out by members of both fan bases.

Instead of saying, "BYU fans who try and tear down Utah's season last year are delusional," would you rather I said, "BYU fans who try to tear down Utah's season last year need to remove beam from their eye?"

No matter how you phrase it, I find it hilarious that fans of a team that finished 7-6 last year, that lost head to head to Utah, were barely bowl eligible, and was humiliated by Utah State talk smack in any way, shape or form about a team that went 10-3, and as mentioned, beat them head to head.

I find it equally ridiculous that Utah fans talk any smack at all towards BYU basketball.

• pocyUte Pocatello, ID
    April 12, 2011 8:51 p.m.

those are the same teams that BYU lit up later in the season, so how can BYU fans base who base their predictions on the last half of their season are just as delusional.

• davidutefan Evanston, WY
    April 12, 2011 8:45 p.m.

re:sammyg and despite all the problems (with an injured QB) last year, the Utes still went 10-3 and finished second in the conference to a very good TCU team and still beat the fifth place kitties.

• skywalker Palo Alto, CA
    April 12, 2011 8:07 p.m.

Utah fans who base their predictions off of Utah's 8-0 cupcake schedule to start the 2010 season are delusional.

Utah only broke 20 points once in their final five games and the Utes lost almost all of their skill plays from last year.

Whittingham having to water down his defense just to keep his offense from being completely humiliated this Saturday says all you need to know about the state of Utah's offense.

Unlike last year, Utah won't be able to coast for a couple of months this year before the Utes play someone.

• nottyou Riverton, UT
    April 12, 2011 7:26 p.m.

I like this headline better: "Offense Inept During Scrimmage"

• pocyUte Pocatello, ID
    April 12, 2011 5:11 p.m.

10-3, (17-16) Brandon Burton

7-6, USU

BYU fans who try and tear down Utah's season last year are delusional

Utah fans who say there aren't concerns about the offense are delusional

BYU fans who base their projections of Utah's offense on the spring results are extremely short-sighted.

Utah fans who ignore the effects of the overhaul are spinning through their red goggles.

Wynn is already throwing, just not in live practice and Utah's success, and is a key to Utah's offensive success. The bigger key is the offensive line coming together in order to be effective in the run game, and frankly we won't know how good that is until sometime after the Montana St. game when they lines aren't going against each other, and we can evaluate them over a few games against D-1 talent. (I know it's FBS, I refuse to recognize the term.)

Unfortunately, until then we are left with the same tired arguments from both sides. Frankly I think more of us need to get outside and spend less time on the board.

• Wallbanger Spanish Fork, UT
    April 12, 2011 4:37 p.m.

I'm always glad to see duckhunter and sammyg on Utah boards. It never fails does it? Hasn't your mom grounded you guys from the computer yet. Do us all a favor and get a life. You guys are way too concerned about the Utes...why is that? Please explain, I'm dying to know.

Excited for Saturday, going to be fun. Please don't snow.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    April 12, 2011 4:22 p.m.

Utes 21

Find me a quote where I've ever said the Utes "stink, will stink, etc." I've simply taken a position that I believe the Utes will underperform most fans expectations first season based upon last year's performance against strong teams, current scouting reports /articles and statements by EVERY Ute fan that claim the PAC is a stronger conference than the MWC.

So being the little country boy I am I simply add things up and come to my own conclusion. Funny is that many of your own agree that things are not going to be easy.

How any fans can simply say it's going to be a cakewalk is just being silly. If the Utes pull it off great, I'll be happy with you. If they don't, well...

@ Mormon Ute...

Coaching staff is not that much different in comparison to what the Utes are going through. Doman is a regular but granted things are different with him as OC. I bet the learning curve is a little shorter for BYU than the Utes. With Wynn out it doesn't make it easier.

Energy level = momentum

Not bragging! That will happen in September.

• Uteanymous Salt Lake City, Utah
    April 12, 2011 3:53 p.m.

KWhit is going to waterdown his defense on Saturday to give his offense a chance.

Chris Hill is sending a memo to all PAC 12 teams to see if he can get them to do the same this fall.

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    April 12, 2011 3:35 p.m.

I nearly choked on my snacked I was laughing so hard at your comment. Everybody is making such a big deal about Utah's new coaches and offensive scheme. What about BYU? You have a totally rebuilt offensive coaching staff. I don't think any of them are coaching the positions they did last year and one has never coached before. Energy and excitement are good, but they only get you so far.

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    April 12, 2011 3:25 p.m.

All I see about BYU is the energy level is up. The players and coaches are excited, but nobody wants to talk about the elephant in the room. Will the new schemes put in place by the new coaches on offense work? BYU doesn't have too many cupcakes on their schedule either and you have totally different offensive coaching staff from the ones that ended the season last year.

You finished strong against weaker opponents for the most part and you weren't able to beat us so I don't see how you somehow got the impression you have bragging rights.

• Utes21 Salt Lake City, ut
    April 12, 2011 3:19 p.m.

Face what comment you just dog on the Utes because you hate them. Dude you are without fail on every Ute football article going off how much they are going to stink. Your comments are there just to get a rise out of Ute fans like Chris B does with y fans. You have become the Chris B of Ute articles along with duckhunter.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    April 12, 2011 2:24 p.m.

@ Utes21

Against the likes of your 'favorite' sons or daughters, Hedgehog, Chris B, etc. I'm reminded of an old Avis Rent-A-Car slogan... "We're #2, we try harder"

I simply point out a couple of articles about the Utes anemic offense in practice and I'm instantly a Ute hater and not a Cougar fan.

I'll accept the fact that I'm a called a troll for commenting on a Ute story. By the same token I hope you can start wearing 'big boy pants' and just accept a comment for its face value.

• Bigmommas-house Salt Lake City, UT
    April 12, 2011 1:30 p.m.

WCO is not a offense that takes one offseason to build around. You need to recruit players to play in that offense. Utah is going from a team that is filled with players that play in the spread at their skilled positions to a more of a power run team.

Look at Stanford before Harbaugh got there. His first season wasn't all that good, but they played BIG against the big boys (USC), and as soon as Harbaugh got his players that fit the WCO that program took off.

• Utes21 Salt Lake City, ut
    April 12, 2011 1:10 p.m.

Again you all cry when we comment on your articles but tds fans are just as bad. Ute fans dont care, you dont have Jimmers anymore so you try to trash the Utes. Duckhunter and samg are the biggest trolls who arent cougars fans just ute haters.

• Uteanymous Salt Lake City, Utah
    April 12, 2011 1:03 p.m.

"It is the most important scrimmage of the spring and that being the case we wanted to make sure that we had the best weather possible for it," Whittingham said. "So we can have as clean of a look as we can get."

The bottom line, he added, is it needs to be as error-free as possible. That, in large part, was why it was moved to a different day.

The defense tallied seven sacks, broke up six passes, had four interceptions, recovered a fumble and scored on a safety.

If that's as error free as possible on a bright, sunny day, just imagine how pathetic Utah's offense would have been if they'd been playing in a snow storm?

• Riddles in the Dark Olympus Cove, Utah
    April 12, 2011 12:38 p.m.

"Wasn't the score of this epic offensive display at BYU's spring game you are talking about 10 - 13?"

The actual score was 18-17, but your "epic offensive display" comment is just plain clueless.

BYU's "spring game" was a 60-70 play controlled scrimmage, played in a snow storm, with a running clock that only stopped during the last two minutes of each half. Total elapsed time from beginning to end of scrimmage, including the overtime, was just a little over an hour. Four different quarterbacks played, with Heaps and Nelson only playing 4 or 5 series each.

BYU's offenses and defenses both made some great plays, showing great promise for even better things to come next fall.

Heaps to Apo. Be afraid! Be very afraid!

See you in September.

• sdunn Spanish Fork, UT
    April 12, 2011 12:15 p.m.

Another thing that we know is that Utah will not be going to any of the top 4 bowls. The only reaso you have a chance at the Vegas Bowl is because USC is not eligible.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    April 12, 2011 12:10 p.m.

@dknight68... decoding my comment

Appreciate your concern. Came in on a late flight, just had to read the football 'news'.

My comment... "Headline says it all" is really about what was not mentioned... the offense. Get it now?

• Swoop Salt Lake City, UT
    April 12, 2011 11:59 a.m.

Bowl tie-ins don't mean much when U don't qualify for a bowl. The way Utah's offense is playing, the Utes will be lucky to finish above .500.

At 11-1, BYU could very well be playing in a BCS bowl, and at 12-0, BYU will be a lock for a BCS bowl -- don't forget, BYU would be beating Texas, Utah, Oregon State and TCU to get to 12-0 or 11-1.

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    April 12, 2011 11:43 a.m.

You know the U Dline is very, very good when it appears Dave Kruger wont even be a starter this year.

• dknight68 Ogden, ut
    April 12, 2011 11:40 a.m.

I was at the scrimmage yesterday, The defense did look like they were ready to play tomorrow, they had constant pressure on the qb picked of some balls and made alot of tackles. That being said there were some positives from the offense, I saw the line open some really nice holes and Langi get some big gains because of them, Langi then looked good in the open field and absolutly punished the db trying to tackle him, John white made a move that left a db's socks on the ground, and Palamo is just a monster. They all look like they belong in the PAC. qb's need more work but they have come quite far since the first pratice I watched. Dbs did not look bad either but honestly it was hard for me to follow them because the d-line was putting so much pressure up front.
    sidenote; sammyg you should get some sleep you do not make much sense at 1:45am, or perhaps you should go back to rattling those doornobs security is important at that time of night.

• gonefishn Salt Lake City, UT
    April 12, 2011 11:38 a.m.

"I did watch BYU's scrimmage on Saturday along with 5000 or so other fans and that was a fine display of qb play, by multiple qb's. Nice play from the rb's. great looking wr's"

It is too early to tell how any of this will turn out for either team. What we do know is pac #1 Rose Bowl or BCS championship, #2 Alamo Bowl, #3 Holiday Bowl, #4 Sun Bowl, #5 Las Vegas Bowl, #6 Emerald Bowl.
    An 11-1 BYU team in 2011?, 2012 Poinsetia Bowl, 2013 Kraft Fighting Hunger Bowl.

• Swoop Salt Lake City, UT
    April 12, 2011 11:17 a.m.

"Duckhunter, Were you at the game?"

With seven sacks, six passes broken up, four interceptions, a lost fumble, and a safety given up, the more important question is:

Was Utah's offense at the game?

• nunya sacramento, ca
    April 12, 2011 11:15 a.m.

um, that's an understatement....did you guys forget who your new OC was? Wow.

• butters Salt Lake city, UT
    April 12, 2011 11:12 a.m.

the dnews actually made this scrimmage out to be a bigger meltdown than it really was. sure, the stats are unflattering, but the experience in utah's front 7 this year would give a lot of teams fits. if the season started tomorrow then yeah i'd be super worried but it's only spring and that's why you practice. utah has 3 good, strong running backs that need to be the backbone of this offense.

as for wynn, i've never been on his bandwagon. he's had flashes, but he lacks consistency. if he's going to have a breakout year it's gotta be this season and i believe norm chow's offensive gameplan will put him in a position to do so.

as for now, lets focus on getting the big hogs up front healthy and ready to go.

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    April 12, 2011 11:04 a.m.

I'm looking forward to September 19 as well. I look forward to seeing our defense shut down your running game just like they did with nearly every team we played last season. Frankly, I expect BYU's defense to be one of the toughest we will face next season. Our offense will need to get all the kinks worked out by then, but there's plenty of time for that. Our best quarterback wasn't even on the field Monday so fall camp will be a better indicator on offense.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    April 12, 2011 11:01 a.m.

I can't wait for September 17.

Believe it or not, I cheer for the Utes against everyone except the Cougs. But reality tells me it's going to be a challenging year for the Utes, especially on the offensive side. A new OC, the QB missing Spring and no legit backup QB is a recipe for disaster. Even at his best, Wynn is only an average player. He's not cut out of the same cloth as Smith or Johnson. I hope the Utes go 11-1, but I think achieving bowl eligibility may be a more realistic goal for 2011.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    April 12, 2011 11:00 a.m.

@ Mormon Ute

Just drawing some lines from point A to point B. We've seen two reports... NFL scouts say the QB's are having problems reading plays and this article is simply confirming it. Coach says there are problems. I guess you need to go back to remedial English comprehension or are you one of the 'new math' kind of kids?

Rewinds? You want rewinds? Several of you Ute fans are still in denial about last year. So here's a recap.

AFA exposed your defense, TCU blew it away, ND... the 'luck of the Irish, SDSU had you sweating and a stupid offensive play + a lucky defensive play gave you the BYU game. Oh and let's not forget your bowl game. I'll spare you the scores on the nationally televised humiliations.

Utes are going to a stronger conference where they will NOT have the luxury of playing several Hostess Twinkie teams the first several games.

In comparison to an inexperienced BYU that pulled itself out of the abyss and salvaged a season.

Ute football will be interesting to watch but the reports are saying the offense is weak. Find me an article contrary to that.

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    April 12, 2011 10:51 a.m.

"Duckhunter, Were you at the game? Thanks for supporting the Utes!"

Ducky doesn't need to actually go the the game... he has full access to both Kwhitt and Spence Eccles (as he tells us)

• Cougar Claws Lindon, UT
    April 12, 2011 10:46 a.m.

Re: uteforever

He also took our one of our worst teams in the last decade to the fourth quarter, at home, and scraped by us by 1 point.

I'm not here to try and talk trash, but I would be legitimately concerned about the Utes offense heading into the Pac-12. Utah seems to have good athletes on the offensive side of the ball, particularly at the WR position. Even the RB position is okay. Unfortunately that doesn't always translate in to them being great football players. If they can't execute their schemes they are going to be in trouble against Pac-12 teams. While every team in the PAC-12 doesn't field an elite defense, the average Pac-12 defense will be better than the average MWC defense.

To Jordan Wynn's defense, he is probably your best QB. He will execute the schemes the best, but he folds under pressure. The Utes should hope that their pass protection is really good because he is going to need it.

• Ibleedcrimson Cottonwood Heights, UT
    April 12, 2011 10:38 a.m.

Were you at the game? Thanks for supporting the Utes!"

MUte, Duckhunter is at every Utah sporting event, and is part of the inner circle of everthing UofU. How do we know this?

He tells us every chance he gets!

• cvguy Lehi, Utah
    April 12, 2011 10:35 a.m.

flintrock | 8:14 a.m. April 12, 2011

I really hope Whitt reads your comment, it could save Utah football. You clearly know way more than the Utah coaches about what the football team needs in their QB.

Utah lost some great players on offense (Asiata, Wide, Smithson, Brooks, o-linemen, etc) it takes time to replace them, that is what spring and fall practice are for, this is not the finished product of Utah offense.

• Ufan Salt Lake City, UT
    April 12, 2011 10:27 a.m.

Utah's defense, as always, is going to be solid, but the offense has a long ways to go to be ready for PAC 12 play. As injury prone as Wynn has been, it's a little scary to think of Robles or Shreve having to face the Trojans in the Colliseum.

• afro14 Sandy, UT
    April 12, 2011 10:11 a.m.

Well, when a two year starter at QB has to sit out and two players that have never started a D1 game have to go up against a very good defense, this is what you get. The running backs looked good, give these quarterbacks more time to develop and some playing time this year and they'll get to where they need to be.

Spring ball is fun to watch, but it's never an accurate indicator of how good or bad a team is going to be in the fall. I think it's remarkable how far the team has come, considering they had to install a completely new offense this year. I'm excited to see the final product of spring ball this saturday at the Red-White game.

GO UTES!

• UoU 1991 Park City, UT
    April 12, 2011 10:07 a.m.

"I don't worry about the back up QB's struggling in spring ball."

You should.

These two backup QBs are one hit on Wynn away from becoming Utah's starter.

Chow's West Coast Offense relies on precise reads and timing between QB and receivers. With Wynn not even able to throw until June, and even then, not able to throw at full velocity, the Utes are only going to have fall camp to fine tune that timing.

With only one tuneup game to get ready for road games at USC and BYU, a struggling offense is a huge concern. As good as Utah's defense is, they'll eventually wear down if they don't get any support from their offense.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    April 12, 2011 9:52 a.m.

@mormon ute

What game? Do you mean the controlled scrimmage where it has been widely reported that the utah offense was pretty offensive? Sacks, interceptions, fumbles, inability to even put a single drive together. That "game"?

I did watch BYU's scrimmage on Saturday along with 5000 or so other fans and that was a fine display of qb play, by multiple qb's. Nice play from the rb's. great looking wr's. Strong defense.

I am really looking forward to the 3rd week of September.

• govt rocks Salt Lake City, UT
    April 12, 2011 9:37 a.m.

If the defense is as good as it shows, I don't worry about the back up QB's struggling in spring ball. If the O line protects Wynn, you won't need a back up anyway. Wynn haters need to look at his stats before putting the kid down. He has performed at a PAC-10 level before, and can again. I don't expect utah to light up the scoreboard this year, but they don't have to if their defense can keep them in the game. Just glad to be in a decent conference and have the opportunity to complete with top teams week in and week out.

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    April 12, 2011 9:36 a.m.

Were you at the game? Thanks for supporting the Utes!

I do believe we won the Air Force game last year. Did BYU? Nope. So be careful looking back at last season. It certainly was more painful for the Cougars than the Utes.

Looking forward the new offense should be a good fit for Jordan Wynn. I'm excited to see how he does in the fall. We also have some good running backs who should be able to establish a solid running game early.

• Natester Cedar Hills, UT
    April 12, 2011 9:33 a.m.

Hard to say if all of those 'trolls' really are Cougar fans or if a few of them are just worried about their Utes. Here is one Cougar fan who is pretty certain that the Ute defense will be the best unit in the state. Even if the offense takes a while to catch up (and who knows, it might be quick) that defense will keep the Utes in every game until they are on track. I see a great year coming out of S.L. this year. Here is one Cougar who would love to see the Utes represent BIG TIME in the PAC 12. Go Utes. Go Cougs.

• mussingaround Palo Alto, CA
    April 12, 2011 9:27 a.m.

"The defense dominated [Utah]... They tallied seven sacks, broke up six passes, had four interceptions, recovered a fumble and scored on a safety."

A sign of things to come.

The Utes are in big trouble pinning all of their hopes on a wounded QB who tanked in every big game last season.

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    April 12, 2011 9:26 a.m.

That's pretty big talk from a fan of the team whose biggest win last season was over a UTEP team that also barely qualified for a bowl game. The way some of you BYU fans talk you would think your team won the conference last season or something. Do we need to replay some of those games to remind you?

April 12, 2011 9:23 a.m.

Why in heavens name is everyone so enamored with Wynn. It's the PAC 12 for crying out loud! It is not the MWC. Little QB's do not survive in the PAC. And on top of that, Wynn wont run. And if he does, there are some huge 230 to 240 lb. linebackers with blood in their eye, looking to crush him. And with the O line problems, life expectancy isn't very long. Robles and Shreve will be much more durable. They will have to be, with the O line problems arising. By the end of fall camp, we should see a major change in the depth chart for the QB's.

• hymn to the silent Holladay, UT
    April 12, 2011 9:15 a.m.

Sounds like the back up Qbs don't have it mentally yet...I know it's a new system, but they have to get their heads around it. The number 2 will get a lot of reps this year. I'm afraid Shreve doesn't have the maturity to handle it...time will tell, but it's not a good sign in spring. Linemen on both sides are great. The D corp is outstanding. Got to get the offense tuned up...fingers crossed.

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    April 12, 2011 9:04 a.m.

Ute Dline is littered with NFL talent. looking at 4 or 5 players finding there way into the NFL.

• ute4ever West Jordan, UT
    April 12, 2011 8:55 a.m.

Love the Cougar trolls out this morning!!

PAC12 = BCS Conference....and the jealousy continues.

Jordan Wynn never was and never will be a spread QB. This offense suits him well. Just remember that Wynn took your best team in the last decade to overtime in his freshman season on the road...the same team that beat Oklahoma and had all those record breaking players (Hall, Unga, Pita..).

Utah will be ok once their QB gets back and can get throwing again. The best part about this upcoming season is that the PAC12 logo on the field means we have access to the Rose Bowl EVERY year!!! Can't wait for a championship game to be played at RES followed by a Rose Bowl appearance. Go Utes.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    April 12, 2011 8:51 a.m.

Frankly big ben you should be concerned about that offense. It was awful yesterday and you are certainly exaggerating the talent on it. If utah wins at all next year it will be because of their defense.

I see the same look on Whittinghams face that he had after the Air Force game last year. I remember the post game interview with him vividly and you could just see that he knew it was all about to come crashing down. That is exactly how he looks when he talks about this offense.

It is going to be ugly.

• Big_Ben SLC, UT
    April 12, 2011 8:15 a.m.

-Our defense is going to be solid this year. As mentioned, the front four are going to probably be the strength of the team. Still not sure who will start and get the reps, but there is a lot of talent back there and it will be fun to watch them. Good luck to opposing offensive lines!

-The offense needs to step up. But I am not worried one bit about it. I have a really good feeling about Wynn this year. He has already talked about the players only throwing sessions over the summer. The kid wants to win and I think you are going to see the best of Jordan Wynn this year.

-Hopefully, the offensive line can hold together! There are several NFL prospects on that line, so I am not concerned.

• flintrock Rigby, Id
    April 12, 2011 8:14 a.m.

I'm scared spitless thinking of Jordan Wynn leading my Utes. Biggest mistake of Whits coaching career. A 155 lb high school QB as the Utes main man. What next?
    Tiny Tim as the next dancing cheermom.

• Pickle Juice, The Key to a BCS Murray, UT
    April 12, 2011 8:08 a.m.

I love the new PAC12 logo on the Ute's field!!

• sammyg Springville, UT
    April 12, 2011 1:45 a.m.

Headline says it all. Ouch!

Looks like the PAC-10.2 will have some fun showing the Utes what big time football is like for a wannabe mid-major program.

• SLCWatch Salt Lake City, UT
    April 12, 2011 12:39 a.m.

Now if I were a Troll on Utah articles I would say....
    Wait, it's coming.
    I am trying....huggggh
    Gosh, Try as I might....
    I just can't think like certain of our constantly negative friends.

Hope Utah can represent our state well in their new conference. They have a big new challenge they have to face and they don't need their neighbors bugging them about how they are doing. Now, back to the Cougar articles.

• Thriller Saint George, UT
    April 12, 2011 12:19 a.m.

Not entirely unexpected. The offense is always behind the defense in spring ball, our defense will be really good this year, our QB was out, our O-line was a patchwork.