Sports

Utah Utes basketball: Connor glad to be back on board at the U.

Comments

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    April 11, 2011 10:52 a.m.

Duckhunter,

We all know what happens when we assume. I'm taking Connors at his word. He says he's excited to back at Utah. The statements he has made in the media don't reflect the attitude of a man who feels slighted in the least.

I still don't understand your maligning of the search effort. Virtually every head coaching search goes the same way, anywhere in the country. UNLV and Oklahoma were turned down by several equally high profile candidates before getting someone to take their jobs. BYU didn't get it's number one choice in football either, so does that mean their was a flaw in the process or the program? The success Bronco is having would suggest otherwise.

• Ibleedcrimson Cottonwood Heights, UT
    April 11, 2011 10:42 a.m.

"But I don't think it is to far fetched to assume he feels slighted in some way. Kinda like hill feels after being rejected by that long list of coaches he foolishly tried to get before settling on krystco."

Especially when it so neatly fits into your anti-Ute agenda.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    April 9, 2011 7:07 p.m.

Actually mormon ute we don't know how connors feels about the just completed coaching search. It was reported on the radio numerous times that several prominent boosters and other were pushing for connors and that he was not considered by hill.

It doesn't mean he can't look at the situation now and come to the conclusion that if he doesn't get back to coaching at the D1 level he has no chance for a D1 head job in the future so he went ahead and took this job.

• EdGrady Idaho Falls, ID
    April 9, 2011 1:56 p.m.

Borah Lion.

• TheHailstorm South Weber, UT
    April 9, 2011 12:44 p.m.

K2 is the second tallest mountain in the world. Why not call him K2 since he has a big climb ahead in order to get the Utah basketball program on its feet ?

• MGreen_Fan Mtn. Green, UT
    April 9, 2011 12:07 p.m.

Not even close to being a Ute fan, but this hire makes me rethink that one as well.

Have been taking my sons to Tommy Connor basketball camps ever since he started doing them down in Orem years ago. Excellent basketball knowledge, ability to teach the game and most importantly a quality individual. This is by far the best move Coach K will make in the forseeable future. The reality is the U probably also picked up their next head basketball coach.

Wishing the best for Tommy, Coach K and the Utes as they head to the PAC-12.

• jpjazz Sandy, UT
    April 9, 2011 12:02 p.m.

Maybe the Utes just hired there next coach

• utahcountyute Cedar Hills, UT
    April 9, 2011 11:37 a.m.

Amen Mormon Ute

I was glad to hear that JJ is keeping is options open too. He's young and came here to play for Boylen, who can blame him if he has some concerns. It's his life. I hope he stays though because he is great player with an upside.

I can only hope that Alex Jensen is next. A couple of hard nosed, smart, Utah boys to get the program going again. Love it.

"We don't need no stinking" Dave Rose!

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    April 9, 2011 10:26 a.m.

Hemlock,

Nobody has a patent on the title Coach K. We are using it here for the same reason it was originally used for Duke's coach. Hard to spell the name.

One thing that some of the BYU fans don't understand or want to recognize is that there can be some loyalty and allegiane to a school other than BYU. Tommy Connor obviously has some strong feelings for the U and its basketball program to give up a successful head coaching position to help rebuild the program. He started for the team for four years and coached here even longer. He only left to further build his career and if this rebuild effort is successful, this could be another career building move. As well as help restore success to a program he obviously loves.

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    April 9, 2011 10:20 a.m.

Duckhunter,

You speak as if you were in Chris Hill's office as he was making calls and traveled with him to the interviews. The only information that has come out about that process has come from some of the people he interviewed. None of us know if Connor was contacted or not. Obviously Connor doesn't feel he was disrespected. You are reading too much into this and it just seems to me you have a difficult time accepting any positive knews about the Utes.

• parrothead orem, ut
    April 9, 2011 9:55 a.m.

Great hire--congrats Tommy!--Still going after Alex?

• Sportsfan32 Salt Lake City, UT
    April 9, 2011 9:30 a.m.

As a former player of Coach Connor I can attest to his work ethic and knowledge of the game and most importantly how to get the most out of his players. I have been a coach myself the past few years after playing and I can honestly say, Coach Connor is the best Teacher of the game I have ever been around. This is a fantastic hire for the program and will play out just fine for the Utes! Congratulations Coach!

• Hemlock Salt Lake City, UT
    April 9, 2011 8:33 a.m.

Stop the "Coach K" thing. Come up with something better. There is only one Coach K and he lives in North Carolina.

• BO Holladay, UT
    April 9, 2011 6:58 a.m.

I expect Tommy to take after coach k is fired in three years.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    April 8, 2011 11:42 p.m.

@bcsx2

So would you allow your wife that same option?

Frankly I am surprised by this considering how connor was basicly ignored, if not completely disrespected, by chris hill during the coaching search. If I had to guess he probably feels like he has no chance of ever getting a d1 job if he doesn't go the d1 assistant route. That is to bad.

How good a hire it is we'll have to wait and see but there is no doubt they need some local guys to be able to make some inroads in local recruits so this might be able to help them do it.

• BCSx2 South Jordan, UT
    April 8, 2011 9:55 p.m.

To everyone who "heard JJ is leaving" but hasn't actually read any press releases about it, please do so before commenting further. He said he wanted the school to grant a release so he could explore his options but that he likes Utah and is still highly considering returning.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    April 8, 2011 9:50 p.m.

This a fantastic hire for the Utes...

Congrats Tommy...

• SUNNY ALL DAY Saint George, UT
    April 8, 2011 9:43 p.m.

Congratulations Coach Connor!

Excellent choice Coach Krystkowiak!

Go Utes!

• flynn is the coolest Salt Lake City, UT
    April 8, 2011 9:34 p.m.

I'm impressed with this hire- though I'm surprised he would leave the driver's seat to ride in back. Unfortunately, ESPN announced this afternoon that JJ O'brien is also leaving. Now more than ever, Utah's future success will hang on it's coaching, not it's talent. Here's hopin'.

• KamUte South Jordan, UT
    April 8, 2011 9:29 p.m.

Welcome back! How about Judkins?

• Cougs Rule Kaysville, UT
    April 8, 2011 9:25 p.m.

A Cougar fan here. Just wanting to congratulate Coach K for a great hire. It would be tough to hire someone that many wanted instead of you, so it says a lot about Coach K and his humility. Hope it works out for all.

Good luck to the team up north in rebuilding things there!

• pocyUte Pocatello, ID
    April 8, 2011 9:21 p.m.

I love the hire of Connor.

I read the press release on O'brien, and am cautiously optimistic. I think he and George Matthews are the nucleus of the future and will provide a solid foundation for the future. I really hope he will stay around.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    April 8, 2011 8:54 p.m.

Remember when Connor dislocated his finger on his shooting hand in the first half against byu in the WAC tourney? He came back and hit the game winning 3-pointer at the buzzer.

• BoringGuy Holladay, UT
    April 8, 2011 6:26 p.m.

The re-birth of Ute basketball took another big step. Great hire Utes!

Hey Cougars, no need to post here. We don't need your negative comments. Move along.

• PHealey Holladay, UT
    April 8, 2011 6:18 p.m.

I was wanting him as head coach, so not exactly what I wanted but sure improves thing a lot. I am very hopeful and excited. I think Rice has had a huge impact at the Y, I hope Connor can do the same here. Now if K leaves after a couple of good years we at least have in place the replacement:)
    Lets GO UTES!

• gonefishn Salt Lake City, UT
    April 8, 2011 5:15 p.m.

Tommy Connor was a gritty hard nosed player that had to work for everything. I hope we can bring this mentality back to the program. A lot of the current players and many of the players who have already left have talent but are as soft as baby food. Nothing will change until that does.

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    April 8, 2011 4:35 p.m.

Great move!! I'm excited to see what Coach Connor can do recruiting wise and with the players we already have. He's a great coach and knows the local community as well as anyone. Coach K's a man of his word.

• Dantley Cottonwood Heights, UT
    April 8, 2011 4:26 p.m.

I am not a Ute fan at all. However, I think that Ty Corbin can take a lesson here. He needs to get assistants with head coaching experience of something. Notice most of the other benches around the NBA. They all have an assistant with previous head coaching experience.

• Utiesrsocute Murray, UT
    April 8, 2011 4:16 p.m.

Hedehog,

This was a GREAT hire. Don't pretend you like it. You did nothing but disparage coach Connor in your previous comments, calling him a "glorified" wardball coach. So, which way you going to go on this?

• oldcougar Orem, UT
    April 8, 2011 4:14 p.m.

Yep, a Cougar that loves the Utes to (except for a couple days a year!). Nice hire! I loved/hated Tommy as a player and the guy can coach too. Nice!

• utahcountyute Cedar Hills, UT
    April 8, 2011 4:03 p.m.

Great news! Love it.

Heard about JJ Obrien, that one hurts. Hopefully this coaching staff can get some players that are committed and want to work.

This hire gives me hope though.

GO UTES!

• Ticky Burden salt lake city, ut
    April 8, 2011 3:58 p.m.

Absolutely wonderful news. Congrats Tommy C.

• Skippy West Jordan, UT
    April 8, 2011 3:53 p.m.

re: TH You need to go read what it says on the Utes website about JJ.

• Th Tooele, UT
    April 8, 2011 3:43 p.m.

Great first step by Coach K. Glad to see us go after someone with local ties. On the flip side, ESPN is reporting that JJ Obrien has been granted his release as well.

Obrien stated he didn't like the direction of the program. Well, thank you JJ for giving Coach K one week to decide! During the offseason. One question though is, did he like where Boylen was steering the Ute's? This guy might actually like to lose. Like Clyburn, unfortunately, good riddance to you.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Washburn leave as well at this point. It appears all the players with personalities similar to Boylens are bailing out.

• JWunderli Henderson, NV
    April 8, 2011 2:57 p.m.

Tommy is a good guy and basketball is in his blood since his dad was a long-time coach as well. I think he will be an excellent addition to the program and will be instrumental in restoring the program to prominence. Welcome back Tommy.

• Qwest Perfected Salt Lake City, UT
    April 8, 2011 2:49 p.m.

This is the best news I've heard about Utah baskeball in a couple of years.

I'm very happy to have Tommy Connor back as a Ute!!! He is a great coach and really knows the game.

Now stop the bleeding and sign some recruits!!!

• Skippy West Jordan, UT
    April 8, 2011 2:47 p.m.

Welcome back Tommy! I am sure there are alot of surprised people out there in comment land, but you have to admit, this is a great move for Tommy and the Utes. Things are starting to look better already. Good luck to them all!

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    April 8, 2011 2:46 p.m.

Great hire as the assistant coach.

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    April 8, 2011 2:28 p.m.

At least we know Krystkowiak is smart enough to hire Conner. This was a very good move.
    Hopefully they can get a couple of good recruits this year to boot.