U.S. & World

Atheist clubs popping up in high schools

• als Atheist Provo, UT
    April 14, 2011 11:39 a.m.

Atheism IS an attack on religion in exactly the same way education and knowledge is an attack on ignorance and foolishness.

• ksampow Farr West, Utah
    April 12, 2011 2:53 p.m.

Many of the comments above say that there is nothing wrong with having an atheist club in schools, even that there is a constitutional right to form such a club. Others said this is a non-story. They are missing the point. The courts have denied people the right to form clubs in schools based on their religious beliefs. Why is there a right to express unbelief (a belief in and of itself) but no right to express belief? This is a clear example of why it was wrong to ban religious expression in school. The establishment clause prevents the school from forcing or encouraging people to join such a club. It should not deny religious freedom by preventing voluntary membership in religious clubs.

• The Atheist Provo, UT
    April 11, 2011 10:34 a.m.

Not very Christian of me?

Did you really write that to an atheist? LOL! You are funny.

If you are not LDS, perhaps you should be. LDS assume "being nice" is a higher value than truth and reality. LDS focus on "tone" rather than the substance of arguments.

And NO, you cannot tell anything about me from what I do NOT believe.

Let's test:

Given the fact that I do NOT believe in Hufflepuffs, what can you divine about my personality and characteristics from such NON beliefs?

In the same way, you can tell NOTHING about a person who says, "I do not believe in a god".

The fact that you think you can (and over the internet, no less) is further similarity with LDS. LDS honestly think the "holy ghost" gives them supernatural (magical) clairvoyant powers to discern the moral standing, thoughts, and intents of other people.

So silly.

Judge people by their actions, not by their so-called "beliefs".

• Kdee SLC, UT
    April 9, 2011 8:43 a.m.

A difference of opinion is not an attack.

A disagreement is not an attack.

A sharing of perspective, even when that perspective is contrary to yours, is not an attack.

An atheist club is not an attack on religion.

• BYUSTER Provo, UT
    April 9, 2011 7:11 a.m.

Some comments have been posted saying "Atheist club are O.K. as long as they don't attack religion..."

As soon as these clubs are established, the charge of "attacking religion" will be leveled against the students participating. Religious belief cannot withstand critical thought & scrutiny and are inevitably threatened by questioning. Religion has had 5,000 years to discover & present it's evidence and has failed to prove it's case. Religion persists only because of human credulity.

Atheism will eventually do to religion what Jenner did to small pox, and this terrifies those who currently profit from it.

• Fairenough4U Draper, utah
    April 8, 2011 8:51 p.m.

Not one of the seven primary Constitutional principles is Judeo-Christian.
    Upon what specific Judeo-Christian principles was this country founded? Slavery? Denying equal protection to women? Seriously, what are these principles you people speak of?

The U.S. Constitution is a completely secular, Godless document. It does not mention any gods. The philosophers whose thinking influenced the Framers were secular Europeans.

• Fairenough4U Draper, utah
    April 8, 2011 8:37 p.m.

Atheism has a very strong history of personal responsibility. In fact, you would be hard pressed to find philosophers was are more committed to taking personal responsibility for ones life than the atheists. Read more. Learn more. Discover. Why do suspect you won't?

Taking full personal responsibility is one of the most powerful and empowering aspects of most atheist philosophers' writings and lives. You religionists present clownish straw man arguments that have absolutely nothing to do with the reality of atheism for most who are atheists.

Atheists have lower rates for divorce, suicide, depression and incarceration than religionists--including lower rates than Christians and Mormons. Atheists have higher levels of education and income. Atheists are over represented on every scientific and scholarly honorary association. The National Academy of Science, Nobel Prize honorees, etc. If we are so eager to avoid personal responsibility, why are we such accomplished, good people? I find great wonder, joy, peace and empowerment in my honest and responsible life as an atheist.

You don't have to be an atheist to have these wonderful things in your life, but it helps. Atheist clubs could increase U.S. scholastic achievement.

• Fairenough4U Draper, utah
    April 8, 2011 7:56 p.m.

The only thing we atheists have in common with other atheists is we don't believe in any gods.
    Statistically, we are very successful and good citizens. Atheists have low rates of divorce, suicide, incarceration, and depression. We generally have high levels of eduction, high incomes, and are over-represented among scientists, professors, millionaires, and Nobel Prize recipients.

If an atheist club could help kids become more like atheists generally, then it is probably wise to encourage the clubs.

• Sorry Charlie! SLC, UT
    April 8, 2011 6:16 p.m.

@ ADN: Actually, being an atheist is all about responsibility and doing the right thing because it is the right thing - not because you are going to get rewarded or punished by someone (or something) else. It is about owning your mistakes and accepting that your choices are yours not the influence of some "evil" being. It is about taking care of others and the world around us because this is it.

I treat those around me with respect because they human beings and the result of the same happy accident that allows me to exist. I treat the earth and the animals with respect because without them there is no me. I own my life and it is the only one I have, therefore, I must do my best to make the most of it.

I don't shirk responsibility - I gladly accept and bear it. It belongs to me and is mine - it does not belong to some external force of good or evil.

• the truth Holladay, UT
    April 8, 2011 4:57 p.m.

RE: mcclark
    RE: charlie91342

Never said it was christina nation but a nation founded by christains based judeo chtian values principles morals etc.

Again the point of treaty was make clear it was treaty between nations not religions.

And it is true no specific christian sect founded this nation, does not make us any less christian,

the big differnce is we welcome all other religiosn to practice their religion freely including atheism.

Allowing one the dictates of their own conscience is very important in this country.

• BYUSTER Provo, UT
    April 8, 2011 4:14 p.m.

We're here, and we're Atheists. Atheism is a refusal to accept uncritically unsupported blind assertions about magic supernatural entities. Atheism takes intellectual courage and critical thought. Students need these qualities, thus the clubs.

• DeltaFoxtrot West Valley, UT
    April 8, 2011 2:44 p.m.

It's about time.

Read your history books. Religion has been the number one source of destruction and death throughout human history.

The Arab-Israeli conflict, the Crusades, the Inquisition, genocide against native populations in the New World, all the way up to the current turmoil in the Middle East and North Africa. All of it caused by Religion.

What kind of people are we? We who claim to be so enlightened, so blessed, so forgiving, yet we can't tolerate those who hold viewpoints different from our own.

• skeptic Phoenix, AZ
    April 8, 2011 2:20 p.m.

%Northern, You ask: "So when the Athiest get together its to worship and celbrate "Nothing"?
    Seems like it would be a little boring of an activity. I am confused as the the point of it? "
    Maybe they celerbrate their freedom of thought and liberty from confinement of organized religion. Maybe they will learn to see the world through a clearer lens of unvarnished reality. If they are satisfied and happy with their believes then why shouldn't we support them and be happy for them. Is there any danger or downside to atheism.

• Tami Herriman, UT
    April 8, 2011 2:07 p.m.

For purposes of avoiding problems such as gay clubs, etc, school clubs should be limited to curriculum related only.

• The Atheist Provo, UT
    April 8, 2011 12:59 p.m.

Many LDS declare in public that they dont hate atheists, and have no problem with the idea of atheist clubs. But in practice, as well as in doctrine, the LDS Church and its members regular demonize, condemn, and hate atheists. Some comments above are unfortunate examples.

You believers come to us proclaiming the Gospel. Because you are making the claims, you must provide evidence and support. You tell us we should believe in God, a pre-earth life, the Plan of Salvation, miracles, and latter-day prophets. We dont believe any of it because you have not given us sufficient reason to believe. That is not our fault, it is yours. We are not failed people, you are failed evangelists.

Missionaries are taught to try to uncover our objections. When we explain why we find your reasons insufficient to justify belief, you accuse us of being anti- and hateful. But we are not. We are simply explaining why we remain unconvinced. That doesnt make us bad. Disbelief is not a sin.

Condemning people for not believing is the most troublesome aspect of the Church. People are considered sinful or unworthy if they don't believe.

• terra nova Park City, UT
    April 8, 2011 12:52 p.m.

Anyone charting an agnostic's club? The apathy club isn't quite happening yet. As the procrastinator's club members mumble, "maybe tomorrow."

• charlie91342 Sylmar, CA
    April 8, 2011 12:44 p.m.

re - Richie | 4:59 p.m
    "I pay taxes and I have read the Constitution. This country was founded on Judio-Christian principles. Taxpayer funds should be cut off for Schools that have Atheist Clubs."

show us where it says that in the constitution. and you do realize schools have christian clubs, right? so what is the difference? that they don't believe the same as you? (are you sure you read the US constitution?)

re- the truth | 5:32 p.m
    your post is entirely irrelevant - we are a secular nation. Just because 70% are christians does in no way make us a christian nation. and for that I am glad.

to - als Atheist | 6:20 p.m - Right On!!

And lastly, I had never heard about this "release time" thing. Do you all really let kids out of class for religious studies during school hours? In my opinion, that is just crazy!! you have all day sunday to have them learn about your religion. Can you let them learn real things at school - like math, science, english, logic, etc?

I can't believe you can use a public school for teaching religion. that seems totally against the rules

• ADN Weiser, ID
    April 8, 2011 12:43 p.m.

Atheism is nothing more than a denial of accountability. I feel that deep, deep down inside all people, there is that voice telling them there is a God or a creator or higher intelligence. Everyone has a conscience that tells them other truths. People who claim to be atheists are in denial of accountability, thus allowing them to "have it thier way". which is very self centered and ego centric. Or perhaps it is just a hope that they won't be held accountable for bad or poor choices.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    April 8, 2011 12:33 p.m.

Yo, The Atheist--

Why the belittling? Is this raally the way to engage in a conversation about your philosophy7 I don't see where LVIS was trying to define for you what you do or do not believe. You did mention something about 'hating on' in one of your posts. Was that just nice phrase, or do you mean it? 'Cause bro, that's how you're coming across. Just sayin'

• charlie91342 Sylmar, CA
    April 8, 2011 12:29 p.m.

re - Gregory Johnson | 4:16 p.m
    "Well I am non-religious, but not an atheist. These people in the bible did live and die and it is of great historical significance."

most atheists think Jesus and others in the bible existed. they simply think it has nothing to do with a god. and obviously some of the stories are simply fiction (noah's ark - all animals?, adam and eve - a talking snake?, etc). but some of the stories are believable - there is no reason not to believe that a guy killed his son because he thought god told him to. we even see that kind of thing today...

re - Cats | 4:30 p.m

why is it sad for someone to have a different belief than you? whay is actually sad is that you think it is sad!! and that's why they "hide" - because of prejudices like yours.

to LVIS | 4:31 p.m - thank you. yours is the most logical post on here.

re - IJ | 4:40 p.m
    "Just curious about the purpose of such a club"

same purpose as your religious clubs

to Gruffi Gummi | 4:48 p.m - they have christian clubs too

• LVIS Salt Lake City, UT
    April 8, 2011 12:26 p.m.

The Atheist | 9:35 a.m. April 8, 2011
    Provo, UT

Wow. Just--wow. First--you assume I am a mormon. I am not. You are making assumptions without foundation--just what you accuse others of doing. I did not attack you. I told you where I got my information, and asked you to enlighten me. It was not meant to be arrogant or condescending, but that is the tone of your response. Why did you respond that way? Not very Christian of you :)

I will say this--if I do want to learn more about atheism, you will not be the person I ask. Between the Mormons I know, and the atheist I (now) know, my sense is that I will have a more respectful and civil dialogue with the Mormons.

BTW--I most certainly can tell something about people by extrapolating from what they do NOT believe. I trust you can as well. Maybe not. I don't mean to accuse you of anything.

• residualblue Chubbuck, ID
    April 8, 2011 12:24 p.m.

I can't see why having an athiest club would be a bad thing unless those in the club begin being malicious to other students who who do have a belief. People of faith want so much to be understood (as do athiests I'd imagine), and to have the freedom to worship as they choose. Shouldn't we allow others the same privileges we want? As a Christian, I want others to know and love Christ. But if people don't have a desire to know Him or learn of Him, I need to respect their right to believe as they do. I hope in return they'd respect my right to do the same.

• FairEnough Draper, UT
    April 8, 2011 12:15 p.m.

For you LDS people who insist on defining atheism for atheists in a way that is always negative and inconsistent with how atheists usually define themselves, doesn't it bother you to hypocritically complain that non-Mormon Christians define you as non-Christians while you try to tell atheists what they do and don't believe and assume they have the worst and weakest intentions?

Not believing in any gods can be empowering and peaceful. It also can be depressing and defeating. Most atheists I know fit the former description. I don't care if you believe in gods or not.

• sj Spanish Fork, UT
    April 8, 2011 12:08 p.m.

I really don't see what all the fuss is about. I am a believer. But I don't hate those who don't. My kids attend Seminary, thus giving up 1 credit hour of school during their day for religious study. If other churches wanted release time I would think that would be a GOOD thing. I don't have a problem with kids of like mind meeting to discuss their beliefs or what they ate for dinner last night. Discussion is fine. It all seems crazy to tell them they can't have their club. Go for it. It's not like they are planning something sinister. They have the right to association just the same as you and me. Invite and discuss.

• Sarah Nichole West Jordan, UT
    April 8, 2011 12:04 p.m.

Any student can take "release time" for religious instruction if there is a licensed teacher of that religion willing to teach them during that hour every day. It's not just for LDS kids. Catholic kids, Lutheran kids, Muslim kids, etc., they can all take their own release time under state law. They just usually choose not to, and those kids graduate with more elective credits to their name than students who choose release time. Release time grades do not count toward your GPA. It's basically the equivalent of reading your scriptures during study hall.

As far as atheist clubs go, who cares? As long as their club is held to the exact same rules and standards that a religious club is held to, and the law is applied equally to each club, what's the problem?

• Grommit Tualatin, OR
    April 8, 2011 9:58 a.m.

Being a paper directly tied to the LDS church, it surprises me how so many obviously non-LDS seem to spend so much energy on these forums. It seems many these days look to have as much contention as possible in their lives. That said, I see nothing wrong with an athiest club as long as it is treated like any other religious club, and is used to explore beliefs and not to organize against others belief. Many people likely explore athieism and other beliefs while trying to understand who God is and what is the purpose of life.

• The Atheist Provo, UT
    April 8, 2011 9:35 a.m.

How brilliant. A dictionary definition. Wonderful for you. Shall we define Mormonism according to an obscure entry in the Merriam-Webster Dictionary? Just say the word, and we will know all about YOU by reading the dictionary. Fair enough?

It is unfortunate that I have to repeat myself so often when trying to explain to religious people what atheism is.

Let me repeat: As the word demonstrates: "a-theism"... Theism is the belief that there is a god. The "a" at the front means "without" "sans" "an absence of" the thing that follows. Hence, "without belief in god". Simple, huh?

Think of:

"ammoral" = without morals

"aseptic" = without germs

"asymptomatic" = without symptoms

Atheism is not a religion. It is not a profession. It is not an assertion. It is not a declaration. It is not a belief, much less a belief in the absence of anything or anyone you might call "god".

Can you tell anything about anybody by extrapolating from what they do NOT believe?

Obviously not. But you and many like you think you can. That is not only "pre-judice", but arrogant foolishness... and intended or unintended acerbity on YOUR part.

We are all born atheists.

• Mormoncowboy Provo, Ut
    April 8, 2011 9:05 a.m.

I'm not sure what the fuss is all about? Schools organize clubs around all types of activities. In Utah we have this cute little workaround for Mormons called "release time". This allows students to offset their educational schedule by one class hour spent - technically - offsite, but for all intents and purposes on site recieving religious instruction. Secondly, seminary is by far the least academic program in Utah high schools, but rather amounts to story time and faith building. The Atheists in this argument aren't even asking for a club that interferes with normal school schedules - they just want an extra-curricular organization of peers to discuss their interests. Seems pretty fair to me.

• Lowonoil Clearfield, UT
    April 8, 2011 8:57 a.m.

Gruffi Gummi, if atheism is a religion then baldness is a hair color.

• Northern Logan, UT
    April 8, 2011 8:38 a.m.

When a religious group gets together they worship and celebrate God.

So when the Athiest get together its to worship and celbrate "Nothing"?

• gizmo33 St. George, Utah
    April 8, 2011 8:13 a.m.

religion is nothing but opinions and it proves absolutly nothing - science is fact of proof I am so glad to see Atheist groups in schools I wish them the best ! most of the worlds bigotry comes from religous fanatics who think the wold is here to live as they see it they think the world should revolve around them.. there are so many religions in this society just that alone proves its all nothing but someones point of view and that is all religion is.

• Esquire Springville, UT
    April 8, 2011 7:45 a.m.

Two comments. First, don't people have a right in this nation to believe or not believe, that no one else can dictate your beliefs? If this is true, then live the principle. For those who believe in the pre-existence, coercion is clearly one of the founding principle of Lucifer. Second, have churches done a poor job teaching and living their principles? Have they gone too far in coercion, inconsistency and hypocrisy that they actually push people away, such that people get more spiritual validation from nature than they do from a meeting? Fair questions that people should stop and think about, in my view.

• skier_rick So. St. Paul, MN
    April 8, 2011 7:35 a.m.

Read E.O. Wilson's book Consiliance for the reason there are atheists. These kids have good educations and know how to think rationally which is way more than I can say for most high schoolers.

• RanchHand Huntsville, UT
    April 8, 2011 7:02 a.m.

I like the idea.

If Mormon, Catholic, Baptist, etc. youth realize there are alternatives to the fantasy of a Mighty Sky Super Hero, they may also realize that there is real joy after Mormonism, Catholicism, etc.

• Penguin Inc. Salt Lake City, Utah
    April 7, 2011 8:54 p.m.

You're not COOL unless you're an atheist. Haha. Oh brother.

• Gentile brookings, SD
    April 7, 2011 7:58 p.m.

Please see the humor in this:

Do atheist clubs have a motto? A slogan or two? Book? Books? Meet only on Tuesdays? Soon have a basketball team? Leagues? Get excused from school to meet on a daily basis? Perhaps dietary regulations: no colas. Publish tracts and pros..

I think this is funny. Fad? Perhaps. Trend? Probably not. Good for the soul and for thinking. Absolutely. It beats finding kids apathetic.

• Schwa South Jordan, UT
    April 7, 2011 7:32 p.m.

The Truth: How can I be wrong when I simply quoted the treaty? It plainly states, in no uncertain terms, that the United States of America is not in any way founded on the Christian religion.

• LVIS Salt Lake City, UT
    April 7, 2011 7:04 p.m.

als Atheist | 6:20 p.m. April 7, 2011
    Provo, UT
    "As an atheist, I assure you your view of atheism is distorted and mistaken. As the name demonstrates, atheism is an ABSENCE of belief regarding "god". It is NOT a "belief that their is NO god"."

Perhaps you should enlighten us. I only know what I read, and Merriam-Webster defines atheism as the doctrine that there is NO deity.

You sound more like an agnostic. I'm not saying you are, but how you are defining atheism seems antithetical to how the dictionary is defining it for you.

So, a little less acerbity, and perhaps a little more civility in your comments. Unless, you just want to be guilty of 'hating on', as you call it.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    April 7, 2011 6:42 p.m.

I think that here in Utah they should be given an hour off from school as released time.
    And no, athiesm doesn't take as much faith as christianity. You certainly don't have to believe in the myth, lore and superstition required of christians.

• als Atheist Provo, UT
    April 7, 2011 6:20 p.m.

Having read DN comments and lived among LDS for years, I have observed a couple of things:

1. As demonstrated by The Rock and others, LDS feel no hesitation in defining other people's beliefs FOR them, and they do so in order to advance their own religious agenda.

You do not believe in Thor, or Zeus, or Isis. Shall we define you in terms of the deities you believe do NOT exist and call you an "anti-Thor/anti-Zeus/anti-Isis religion"? Or does the fact that you lack a belief in them mean nothing as regards your "religion"?

Don't tell me what I "believe", especially when I have no belief about "god".

2. LDS have no problem demonizing, "hating on", and in every way condemning atheists without basis. Atheists do much good.

To paraphrase James: "Show me your faith without your works, and I will show you my good works without any faith."

Stop pre-judging people by beliefs.

• The Rock Federal Way, WA
    April 7, 2011 6:02 p.m.

Atheism is a religion. Even they must believe....

that there is not God.

• Instereo Eureka, UT
    April 7, 2011 6:01 p.m.

I don't think you can truely understand religion until you've totally rejected it (and God) and then ask yourself if by doing so would it change who you are as a person. It's only then that you can truely begin to understand what faith and hope really is.

• mcclark Salt Lake City, UT
    April 7, 2011 5:47 p.m.

the truth---Can you tell me where in the constitution it says that this is a Christian Nation? Because I missed that part.

• the truth Holladay, UT
    April 7, 2011 5:32 p.m.

RE: Schwa | 5:16 p.m

Your wrong, all the treaty says is the U.S does not represent christianlity,

the point being this was a treaty between nations not relegions,

Th U.S. clearly had strong ties to christian values and morals,

many founding fathers saying we needed a relgious peopls for it to work.

• Randall Reitz Grand Junction, CO
    April 7, 2011 5:27 p.m.

I wouldn't have had the wisdom to join an atheist club while growing up in Utah, but would definitely recommend my children at least attend a meeting to appreciate a pluralistic society.

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    April 7, 2011 5:22 p.m.

Utah gives kids, and adults, a lot to think about. And, especially in utah, we exist in a culture where a lot of us look at it and feel "whatever they're doing, I want no part. I want the opposite", or "That poor sap is pre destined for a future of mediocrity". Stuff like that. Aethism is for some their way of saying "I'm not. I'm not you. I'm not buying it. I'm not selling out to your myopic reality". So, I have to say, I'm not surprised these clubs exist.

• Schwa South Jordan, UT
    April 7, 2011 5:16 p.m.

For those of you who may still be confused into thinking America was founded on Christianity, I encourage you to read Article XI of the Treaty with Tripoli.

Art. 11. As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion; as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion, or tranquillity, of Mussulmen; and, as the said States never entered into any war, or act of hostility against any Mahometan nation, it is declared by the parties, that no pretext arising from religious opinions, shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries.

This was signed on January 3rd, 1797, and later unanimously ratified by Congress and then President John Adams. The United States of America is a secular nation with the freedom to have your own personal religious beliefs.

• Richie Saint George, UT
    April 7, 2011 4:59 p.m.

I pay taxes and I have read the Constitution. This country was founded on Judio-Christian principles Taxpayer funds should be cut off for Schools that have Atheist Clubs.

• John C. C. Payson, UT
    April 7, 2011 4:58 p.m.

Many overtly Christians around here may well be closet atheists. I'd rather they just be open about it. I don't find that any more offensive than clubs formed around the worship of athletes, money, or combat.

Has anyone yet heard of a Secular Humanism club in Utah yet? Maybe that was just an imaginary religion created by some on the fringes as an excuse to bash public schools.

They're all welcome to form clubs. This is America. I personally would like to see some Mujahideen clubs formed. I admire the way devout Muslims view the struggle for self improvement as a lifelong commitment. Imagine a society of people committed to the submission of one's will to God's!

With a Buddhism club they might enjoy comparing beliefs with others who believe this life is just one step in a pathway to enlightenment, and who respect animals as beings with spiritual lives.

Other groups could teach us to honor our ancestors, stay close to extended families, or face enemies without malice. Local youth might enjoy learning from and identifying with others. There is so much to learn and so much distance still between us.

• DCUte Draper, UT
    April 7, 2011 4:56 p.m.

No, Gruffi Gummi, it doesn't violate the Constitution. Time to brush up on the Establishment Clause.

• Gruffi Gummi Lehi, UT
    April 7, 2011 4:48 p.m.

If this is a public school, then this club violates the Constitution. Atheism is a religion, because it professes a firm (yet unfounded) belief in God's non-existence.
    An "agnostic club" would be much less controversial.

• morpunkt Glendora, CA
    April 7, 2011 4:47 p.m.

Although I am religious, I think it would be a healthy thing to have intellectual dialogue between believers and non-believers.
    Perhaps it will ignite teenagers to think more.
    I just oppose subtle brainwashing from the sponsors, from either side.
    That's my take on it.

• DCUte Draper, UT
    April 7, 2011 4:42 p.m.

Yes, I read it and am commenting, but why is this a newsworthy article?

So some young people don't believe in God and are associating themselves with like-minded schoolmates.

Where's the controversy? If no controversy, why the story?

• IJ Hyrum, Ut
    April 7, 2011 4:40 p.m.

Just curious about the purpose of such a club. I understand the function of most school clubs; some exsit around specific interests, i.e., chess, some service, some athletics. What would the their take on life be?

• LVIS Salt Lake City, UT
    April 7, 2011 4:31 p.m.

I consider myself a Christian, but I certainly don't care if atheists have a club. I don't believe being an atheist means you are 'anti-christian'--it just means you believe there is no deity. Quite frankly, it takes just as much faith to be an atheist as it does to be a Christian--and neither should feel threatened by the other. I am not troubled by your belief (or non/dis-belief), and you shouldn't feel troubled by mine.

• Cats Somewhere in Time, UT
    April 7, 2011 4:30 p.m.

• The Atheist Provo, UT
    April 7, 2011 4:26 p.m.

Atheist clubs in high schools.

Yeah. You got a problem with that?!

• Gregory Johnson Rifle, CO
    April 7, 2011 4:16 p.m.

Well I am non-religious, but not an atheist. These people in the bible did live and die and it is of great historical significance. I can only hope their is a higher intelligence than mankind.

• Grover Salt Lake City, UT
    April 7, 2011 4:07 p.m.

What a relief we have moved on from gay/straight clubs, but wait till the legislature hears about this one!

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    April 7, 2011 4:05 p.m.

Atheist clubs should go by the same rules for religious clubs like Fellowship of Christian Athletes. Either allow them both or allow neither.