Sports

Utah Jazz: Kyrylo Fesenko out for season, wants to return to Utah

Comments

• scalman Temecula, CA
    April 9, 2011 11:11 a.m.

I like Tomic...hear he might come here in 2013. Once here, he can bulk up some like Kirilenko did. Jazz will be harder and harder to defend with an offensive threat like Tomic in the front court. Imagine the Jazz with a formidable front line...not hard for me anyway when I think of Favors, Milsap, Jefferson, and Fes. Difference for me compared to many others is my Jazz front line has to have Fes in it, even if that means Jefferson's minutes are cut in half. Tomic would add length and versatility to the equation.

• Chuck Nunn Logan, UT
    April 9, 2011 12:04 a.m.

Actually Cap, when I said "European" I probably should have said "Spanish." Tomic played more in the post when he was in Zagreb, but ACB is a very loose, spread-the-floor type of play, very free-wheeling, from what I've observed. When you see the clips, opponents like to pull Tomic away from the basket on defense. He's still not going toe-to-toe with Andrew Bynum, but he can play alongside a bulkier player in any lineup.

• Captain L Provo, UT
    April 8, 2011 10:45 p.m.

Chuck, thanks for all your updates on Tomic, I still hope he can come over to the Jazz and be a productive contributor. I'm a little discouraged when you see him play, he doesn't seem to have much of a motor and he doesn't seem to try that hard on defense. Like you said though, maybe that is because of the difference in the two leagues, I hope so. He is tall, long, athletic and he can score, those are good qualities to have. I hope the Jazz bring him over next year.

• BillM75 Salt Lake City, UT
    April 8, 2011 5:52 p.m.

Simple answer: If they can sign Fes cheap, do so, if Portland wants to overpay him, see ya. Always gamble on youth and size, when motivated and properly used Fes makes a huge difference. Heck, don't pick up CJ's option, then offer it to Fes spread out over three years.

Hire a big man coach for him & Favors for cryin' out loud, ridiculous. "John & Karl didn't need to be told what to do, blah, blah," Thank the Lord Sloan's gone.

Paul needs to be 3rd big, with some time at the 3 in the right matchup. He's given it everything, but unless the other three guys are far above average on D (like Rondo/LBJ level), he & Al cannot play D as the 4-5, last night proved that and they both tried very hard.

• Chuck Nunn Logan, UT
    April 8, 2011 4:18 p.m.

"JFFR" I've followed Ante Tomic for years, all the way back to when he started playing for Zagreb in Croatia. I'm not the first one to ID him as an NBA prospect, but I was the first sportswriter to ID him as a prospect for the Jazz back when I was working for The Spectrum in St. George on the sports desk. Now I post updates about him on my own site. I'm certainly not the first one to liken him to Gasol, but making that comparison doesn't mean that I'm saying he's going to come here and lead the Jazz to an NBA title his first year. It took time in the league for Pau to become what he is. Tomic can do similarly if he's given the opportunity. I really don't care if you believe that or not, but it's the truth.

• JFFR Salt Lake City, UT
    April 8, 2011 3:35 p.m.

Where are you people getting your information on Tomic?

Its all a bunch of "he said" "she said." There was one article on him back in August published by the DesNews (obvious bias towards the hope for the Jazz) His numbers at eurobasket dot com look decent, but he's no pau gasol. I'd expect Kosta Koufus to put up similar stats.

• Chuck Nunn Logan, UT
    April 8, 2011 2:56 p.m.

Tomic will never be a Shaq-Bynum-type center in the NBA. But he does have the potential to be a lot like Pau Gasol, particularly since Gasol drew a lot of the same criticisms when he was younger. We can also look to JaVale McGee as another example of a slimmer center, although Tomic doesn't block as many shots. Still, you have to remember that the European game is different in a lot of respects from the American game, with a lot of high-post cuts and offenses designed to spread the floor. Tomic isn't going to come in and automatically give us 20 and 10 a night, but he can play in the NBA, and he can be a great player for the team that recognizes his skills. Hopefully that's Utah.

For presence inside on defense, I'd stick with Fesenko.

• bigsoccer Syracuse, UT
    April 8, 2011 2:47 p.m.

Why would anyone try on this team, they stink.

• Captain L Provo, UT
    April 8, 2011 2:28 p.m.

Fes is alot better than people want to give him credit for, his plus / minus, shows when he is on the floor the team plays better and usually outscores their opponents. He may not be polished offensively but he has a major impact on the game. I have said this for the last two years + and I still believe it but I have become discouraged and frustrated in both Fes and more so in the coaches, that won't play him. I don't have any trust in Corbin / coaches that they want to continue to develop Fes. Unless something changes, I don't see Fes back with the Jazz. I would like to think different but the way the coaches use and play Fes tells me he's not really in their plans.

• CJ Miles Dallas, TX
    April 8, 2011 11:46 a.m.

I sign Fes for 1 million. Cheap by NBA standards and he sits on the bench until the Lakers show up. Fes is good for 4 games a year. $250,000 per game.

• B Russ Ephraim, UT
    April 8, 2011 11:26 a.m.

I agree Captain. Tomic has slow feet and a slow motor, he is a day late and a dollar short. Fesenko would be much more effective in the NBA or on this Jazz team if the coaches (Sloan/Corbin) would have/would wake up and smell the coffee. The lack of defense in the paint has killed this team. If there is no defense being played in the paint the players guarding the perimeter have to collapse exposing the 3 pt. shot. When ever Fesenko has been allowed to play more than 10 minutes a game the results have been good. Bynum gets 27 minutes a game and makes 58 million over 4 years. Fes makes 1 million a year. He's worth that much just to frustrate Bynum, Gasol and Kolby Bryant.

• JBQ Saint Louis, MO
    April 8, 2011 11:12 a.m.

I like Fez. You can't teach height. I would hope that someone can come in and coach him. For some reason, Sloan did not like him. I don't know how Corbin feels. Reasonable draft aims are with two Kentucky connected players. Enes Kanter (Turkey) is a beast. Brandon Knight is better than Harris right now. Now it appears that Harris is "freezing out" certain players in his offense just like Williams did before the run-in. This is a "coach thing" and Corbin needs to step up or the "inmates will once again take over the asylum".

• Captain L Provo, UT
    April 8, 2011 10:46 a.m.

I've been hopeful that Tomic would develop and become a player the Jazz could use, but I don't think it's happening. Tomic is tall but light weight and doesn't fight hard enough. He isn't a great rebounder and doesn't have a great motor. I don't see him getting much PT even if he comes over next year.

• PalmG Glen Allen, VA
    April 8, 2011 10:11 a.m.

I think if tomic does get a little stronger he could be really good. If he comes he will do a lot better thatn fesenko, who i hope leaves because he is just awful, he has terrible handles and can barely rebound for a 7 footer. Tomic coming into the jazz next year no matter what will be a huge upgrade for the team

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    April 8, 2011 9:36 a.m.

Ante Tomic is a bean pole and will not be a good center or rebounder. he does have some talent and he could be a good role player but will struggle against aggressive, stronger and quicker big guys. Depending on who they draft and / or trade for this summer, I think it would be a good idea to bring back Fesenko one more year and see how he does for a full year under Corbin. Maybe he will come back in even better shape and Corbin will be able to push him more.

• Doug10 Roosevelt, UT
    April 8, 2011 8:42 a.m.

See ya Fes. I'd say you had a great chance at making something of yourself in SLC but you blew it. You had playing time and as much practice time as you wanted. When you got injured nobody missed you on the floor. That speaks volumes.

The Jazz paid you a million dollars for less than a year, let you practice all you wanted and more in a multimillion dollar facility. You had association with other elite players and you chose not to take advantage of that. Hoping all the time your giant stature would get you out of having to actually do the work it takes to compete in the league.

Fes I think you could have been great, maybe another team will give you a shot
    and you will sometime learn to take advantage of the opportunites to come your way.

• JFFR Salt Lake City, UT
    April 8, 2011 7:42 a.m.

I gotta stick up for Millsap.

Why has Millsap stopped diving for loose balls? Because he's getting more minutes and his body can't handle the punishment it takes. He had 19 double doubles in a row when Booze went out, but then he fell apart physically and was tired. He's had to go easier to produce in other areas.

That being said, I think he's better off coming off the bench. If Favors earns a starting spot next year, and Memo comes back and hits open shots... I really like the idea of Millsap and Okur coming off the bench (heck, we can even keep Fes)

• PalmG Glen Allen, VA
    April 8, 2011 7:32 a.m.

ANTE TOMIC

• Anonigma Murray, UT
    April 7, 2011 11:04 p.m.

It's not the thumb that took him out, it's his lack of staying focused.

• scalman Temecula, CA
    April 7, 2011 7:40 p.m.

The Jazz need Fes, at least as a backup center while he plays more and more minutes next year. Look at Oklahoma City. They traded for big Kendrick Perkins earlier in the year...they understood the need for a big defensive presence in the paint. Perkins has little offensive game...remind anyone of anyone? Fes needs to take better care of himself, too. Play a little less hyper, maybe.
    I still say the Jazz need to think PG for the draft first and then size. They might be able to move up if they offer a package with Okur and someone else. When they lost Williams they lost a guy who had developed into a complete player at his position, one of the best in the NBA. If they can get Irving or even Burks, they have recouped much of what they lost...and they have Favors, too. I agree with those who say Milsap should come off the bench. Milsap, Miles, Watson and Fesenko plus rooks will make a formidable second team next year.

• ram Saint George, UT
    April 7, 2011 7:10 p.m.

harris hayword jefferson millsap favors should be starting cj has been terrible as of late favors has a real upside along with hayword like the fact that harris trying to come back raja price ak fes and maybe even cj should not be back with the jazz next year for all of you who say raja has been good i don't know what you see he shot is terrible and defense has gone way down hill
    the jazz really need a team leader next year something they never had this year not even when williams was around
    go jazz

• JazzFanMontana Hamilton, MT
    April 7, 2011 6:40 p.m.

Sometimes I wonder if some of you really watch Jazz basketball or pay attention to what is really going on. D-Will was very likely not coming back therefore Jazz Management made a brilliant move that improved the team long term. This team will be just fine.

You know looking back, Fes has missed allot of games without ever playing. That's what I call injury prone. Maybe it is time to let him go. He has been out for stomach problems, back spasms and more. Quite a few lame injuries most players would play through.

• SJ Bobkins Gilbert, AZ
    April 7, 2011 4:22 p.m.

Sorry, but the season died when Jerry left and KOC made the dreadful trade dumping DW. Gee having a PG does make a difference doesn't it?

• CJ Miles Dallas, TX
    April 7, 2011 3:03 p.m.

Headline says Fes out for the season. Fes has been out for the whole season, just not now. Jerry benched him long ago and Corbin kept him there except a lone start against the Lakers.

Sorry Fes but you being out doesn't help or hurt the team. You haven't been playing all year.

• Sokol Las Vegas, NM
    April 7, 2011 3:02 p.m.

Hobbie 44....I think Millsap has gone soft....We need more tough guys...I thought Bell was it. I think the highlight of the season was Fesenko slamming Kobe to the floor...Standing over him and glaring at him. I think I got my money's worth that night. If the rest of these guys got Sloan tough or Malone type attitudes..They would be the Jazz again. I wish they would bring in the Mailman to work with Millsap, Jefferson, and Favors.

• holbrosa1 Bountiful, UT
    April 7, 2011 2:51 p.m.

JazzFanMontana, i totally agree that Millsap may be dialing it back a little to avoid foul trouble and stay on the court. I just wish no one would dial it back for any reason. Because while he probably feels he is doing what is best for the team, he is not. Karl Malone was a beast on both ends and therefore could demand that his team be the same way. Hayward on Tuesday was a beast on both ends and the team followed. This is why Millsap cannot be the leader of this team. Because the moment you dial it back for whatever reason you lose the ability to demand anything from your team. Millsap we want to back being able to demand minutes with your hustle and hard work. Not with you pretty shot.

• Vince the boonies, mexico
    April 7, 2011 2:51 p.m.

Oh well Fess has been cursed since day one here. If Price, Elson, and C.J, A.K. are not resigned next year we will have the money to bring in other players like Cousins, Weaver and such and let them make this team. Bell & Okur need to be traded if possible then the new head man can build what he thinks will do the job in the future. I would probaly offer Fess the same amount he got this year and roll the dice for another year if he would take it. Drafting 2 more rookies through the draft scares me however. That would be too much youth in my opinion unless you are willing to give away another season or two.

• Chuck Nunn Logan, UT
    April 7, 2011 2:44 p.m.

I hope Utah brings Fesenko back next season. The kid has talent, and he has size and strength. This is a tough break for him.

• Daveman Pleasant Grove, UT
    April 7, 2011 2:15 p.m.

If the Jazz were not so ridiculously short-handed, this would be a non-event. Best of luck to big Fez, he would make a good roster filler if the $$ were low enough.

• B Russ Ephraim, UT
    April 7, 2011 2:13 p.m.

Aldridge will have a big night tonight against our twin towers.(Jefferson and Milsap)

It will be fun to see how Hayward and Matthews matchup if they guard each other.

• holbrosa1 Bountiful, UT
    April 7, 2011 2:12 p.m.

The bottom line is size does matter. When we had Boozer as our starter we struggled most games against longer teams. We are in the same boat with Millsap. except our rebounding is worse. Once Millsap was called the "Chairman of the Board." Now he should be called pretty boy. All Boller and Harpring talk about is how smooth and pretty Millsap's shot is. Who Cares!!! Where is the rampaging Beast that made him a formidable player in this league? Like I said it is great that he plays hurt....I just wish he would play like he was ready to hurt, anyone who tried to get in his way. Like he used too. I want the Chairman of the Board to call another meeting to session in his career.

• JazzFanMontana Hamilton, MT
    April 7, 2011 2:02 p.m.

I truly believe that is the direction the Jazz are looking to go. They understand he is small and Jefferson and Millsap do not work well defensively. However, if Millsap can play the 3 in certain situations you have to consider starting him because he actually creates positive mismatches. Favors on the other hand is much taller and creates havoc in the paint as a defender. Now if he can learn how to not commit silly fouls Ty will be able to leave him on the court more!

It is looking like Harrison Barnes may pull out of the draft but I would love to see us somehow get Williams as long as we don't have to give up to much up to move up and get him.

I partiaqlly agree about the CJ comments but the kid oozes with talent. I truly believe the kid could be nearly unguardable if he could ever get his head straight. He seems to have gotten better the last few years but he is so inconsistent.

Millsap: I think he's had to adjust his defense to stay in the game and stay out of foul troble.

• hobbie_44 Meridian, Idaho
    April 7, 2011 1:59 p.m.

When is the last time you remember seeing Millsap dive on the floor after a loose ball? When is the last time you remember seeing him get physical? When someone pushed the mailman, he pushed back, and a lot harder then he got pushed. He and stockton were constantly diving for loose balls. That is why this is now Gordon's team, and hopefully eventually Gordon and Favors team. Move Millsap to the bench...maybe that will humble him again and he can start playing with heart again. He has proven this year that he is a great bench player, an average starter.

• Sokol Las Vegas, NM
    April 7, 2011 1:57 p.m.

They are jumping ship faster than rodents on the Titanic.

• holbrosa1 Bountiful, UT
    April 7, 2011 1:23 p.m.

hobbie_44 you are right on the money. I don't understand why so many Jazz Fans think that with Millsap as our MVP we will be great. This year has proven that is not the case. Millsap needs to be a great role player off the bench. Also he needs to find his lunch pail again. Why I admire him for playing hurt I feel his effort has decreased over the years. You can see this in his defense, rebounding, and hustle. Why his offense has really matured these passed few years I feel he is losing what endeared him to us as fans. He used to beat people up to get rebounds, get multiple weak side block shots, dive on the floor, etc. I love the thought of Millsap coming off the bench and when needed playing the 3.

• handshaker17 Centerville, UT
    April 7, 2011 1:02 p.m.

Great. There goes the season.

• hobbie_44 Meridian, Idaho
    April 7, 2011 1:02 p.m.

Why is CJ still playing? He has proven that he is lazy, inconsistent, dumb as a bag of rocks, not competitive, and all around not a good team member. Let's roll with Gordon at the 2, Millsap at the 3, Favors at the 4, and Jeffy at the 5 the rest of this year. Then draft Harrison Barnes, Terrence Jones, Derreck Williams, to replace Millsap in the starting line up next year. Let's face it, millsap is a great roll player, nothing more, nothing less. CJ on the other hand is a great 6th player for the other team whenever he is in the game.