Sports

BYU basketball: Dave Rose inks new five-year deal

Comments

• Two Cents Springville, Utah
    April 7, 2011 11:13 a.m.

I'm glad Coach Rose is staying. He oozes class.

I hope his staying makes it easier for Brandon to come back to the team, assuming the university allows it.

• grip Meridian, ID
    April 7, 2011 10:35 a.m.

Many thanks to Dave Rose and all who made this an exciting year in BYU basketball. We are proud (righteously, I hope) of the results both seen and unseen.

• factcheck Salt Lake City, UT
    April 7, 2011 10:34 a.m.

Hey Aggie 84. Remind me how many NCAA tourney wins your coach has in 24 years as a head coach?

• BlueHusky Mission Viejo, CA
    April 7, 2011 10:31 a.m.

While I never expected Rose to leave, I let out a little whoop when i saw a comment in the LA Times that he had signed a 5-year deal.

I ignored college hoops for 20 years before Rose took over at BYU. He recruits shooters and speed and his up and down game reminds me of Stan Watts, whose teams hooked me on BYU hoops back in early 60s.

Rose has put the bloom back on BYU hoops!

• Rikitikitavi Cardston, Alberta
    April 7, 2011 8:43 a.m.

Wow, BYU hoops is in great shape thanks to outstanding work by Rose & Co. With Jimmer it was truly an incredible season to remember. Excitement abounds with tremendous new talent to join the roster. And finally an abundance of size! Although in all fairness we were fine until Chris C. got injured and Brandon had some issues. Go Cougars! !

• J-TX Allen, TX
    April 7, 2011 7:25 a.m.

@ CJ Miles;

If you're interested, you can join the DFW chapter of the BYU Management Society, attend a few events / lunches / lectures, and rub elbows with guys who know more about BYU than you or I do... That's not why I joined (I joined for networking), but it's a good side-benefit. Most of these guys spent 4+ years at the Y, and know how things work there.

• poyman Lincoln City, OR
    April 7, 2011 1:37 a.m.

I personally think Rose is one of the very best College Coaches in America.... I think that most ADs around the country think that as well...

I'm surprize that after their rather bleak forecast that Christopher B and Hedgie aren't on here to give BYU their blessings nad best wishes for the future..... Oh well, maybe they will on the next article...

BYU is indeed fortunate to have a talent such as Rose directing the future of the School's Basketball program... I think he will be remembered at this University for several years.... in fact, decades to come....

• AK Cougar Palmer, AK
    April 7, 2011 12:50 a.m.

Glad to see Coach Rose get a raise and a contract to stay in Provo. He brought BYU basketball back to the front like all good coaches do. With Basketball winning from November through March and Spring football and Fall football from August through November, the year is mostly covered. Then we can spend the summer season fishing with the rest of the year working out just fine.

Go Cougars.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    April 7, 2011 12:37 a.m.

Deep Thoughts | 10:16 p.m. April 6, 2011
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Congratulations Cougars. I have to admit, I wish Chris B. and Hedgehog had been right about this one. (But that's just 'cause I want my Utes good again).
    ===

It's your own fault for letting yourself get your own hopes up. When have HH and CB ever been right about anything?

• CJ Miles Dallas, TX
    April 6, 2011 11:33 p.m.

Thanks for the insight.......

• Osgrath Provo, UT
    April 6, 2011 11:22 p.m.

Aggie84: yeah, right...

• Aggie84 Idaho Falls, ID
    April 6, 2011 11:02 p.m.

That means at least 3 more losses in the Spectrum.

• Deep Thoughts Salt Lake City, UT
    April 6, 2011 10:16 p.m.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    April 6, 2011 10:08 p.m.

CJ Miles | 4:25 p.m. April 6, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Who pays Rose's salary?

The men's basketball program is self funding. His salary is paid from the revenues of the program.

BYU is a private school. They don't get funding from the state.

Only men's basketball and football cover their expenses. But I've heard the entire athletic department is in the black. This means that football generates enough revenue to cover all the other sports. All the more reason to go independent, and generate an addition $10M + per year.

• 93 COUGAR Orem, UT
    April 6, 2011 9:34 p.m.

Well one thing is pretty much guaranteed with the two coaching announcements this past week.

BYU is going to continue to own in state recruiting.

Thanks to Coach Rose and the BYU admin for making us all proud to be Cougars!

Great time to be a BYU fan.

• Dyer Gary Bountiful, UT
    April 6, 2011 8:58 p.m.

boy utah fans are glad rose did not come to utah.Holmoe doesn't have the say on the coach as hill does.

• fresnogirl Fresno, CA
    April 6, 2011 8:50 p.m.

@localblue

Personally, I really like the Bronc. Although, admittedly, he seems shy and uncomfortable with the press, I like watching his interaction with his players. I also like that he seems contemplative and like someone who seriously puts 100% into everything he does -- especially his faith. I guess he resonates with me.

But I like Dave too and am so glad he is sticking around a while.

• CougarOnTheProwl Murray, UT
    April 6, 2011 8:41 p.m.

What? im confused here,according to ute fans, mainly Christy and Wedge, Rose was a virtual lock to take over as head coach at utah. Oh thats right Dave Rose denied them and stayed at BYU. Great decision Coach Rose and major props to Tom Holmoe for working out a deal to extend Rose for the next 5 years.

• fresnogirl Fresno, CA
    April 6, 2011 8:33 p.m.

So glad to hear Dave is staying! Also glad to hear BYU is rewarding him for his talent, hard work and loyalty.

• localblue Sandy, UT
    April 6, 2011 7:40 p.m.

This is great. I have to admit, although both coaches have done great things at BYU, I'm much more fond of Rose's style and personality than Bronco. I can never figure out what Bronco is trying to say as he's always trying to turn things into drawn out life lesson metaphors in his bunker-like overly serious delivery. Rose just tells things like they are and seems to enjoy life. Not that one is better than the other but Rose resonates with me more. Glad he is staying on.

• El Chango Supremo Rexburg, ID
    April 6, 2011 7:29 p.m.

I believe the athletic department gets it's revenue from things like ticket sales, tv contracts, and booster donations.

BYU is a private university so it is not funded through taxes. And, I don't think the coaches are paid with tithing dollars either.

• Andermart Pullman, WA
    April 6, 2011 6:44 p.m.

Congratulations to Coach Rose and to all of the BYU faithful. Coach Rose didn't stay at BYU in "SPITE" of the honor code, he stayed at BYU "BECAUSE" of the Honor Code. Where else in any of the big time programs of the country can he have his Sundays consistently to himself and to his family? Where else can he work with the caliber of athletes that would choose to live by the honor code? He could make lots of money anywhere, but he has chosen BYU. Thank you Coach Rose. All the best as you develop many championship Cougar teams in the years ahead.

• Magic Happens 801 Bluffdale, UT
    April 6, 2011 6:31 p.m.

I am happy for Dave Rose. He is a class act and excellent coach. However, losing Dave Rice will be a huge loss. He should get the UNLV job. His shoes will be hard to fill. No one on the current staff can do what he has done at BYU.

• NevadaCoug Overton, NV
    April 6, 2011 6:17 p.m.

Holmoe certainly is doing a good job of keeping good coaches. Too many universities lose a good thing because of the "grass is always greener" mentality. It's not always about getting the "winning-est coach." It's also about getting the guy that is right for your program. Dave Rose is 'right' for BYU Basketball. Mendenhall is 'right' for BYU Football. Maybe there are guys out there that are better coaches, but they wouldn't be able to work within the unique environment that is BYU.

As for Dave Rice: I don't want him to stay at BYU. I want him to go get a head coaching job somewhere. I'm not sure that place should be UNLV yet, but he deserves a chance to head up a program.

• MiP Iowa City, IA
    April 6, 2011 6:11 p.m.

Veritas, that's a lot of experience...

Congrats Coach Rose and BYU.

• Cats Somewhere in Time, UT
    April 6, 2011 5:47 p.m.

I'd be interested in knowing why posters always claim that BYU pays below market rate for coaches. Where do they get that idea? We have no idea how much these coaches make because it is kept CONFIDENTIAL. GEEEEEZ!

• AZnewser Snowflake, AZ
    April 6, 2011 5:35 p.m.

When I joined the Coaches Circle, this is what I envisioned, although honestly, I thought it would be Bronco that we would be matching offers to keep.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    April 6, 2011 4:36 p.m.

CJ Miles | 4:25 p.m. April 6, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Who pays Rose's salary?

===

I'm guessing the taxpayers of the State of Utah...

(That, or BYU...)

What's your guess there CJ???

• CJ Miles Dallas, TX
    April 6, 2011 4:25 p.m.

Who pays Rose's salary?

• DEW Cougars Sandy, UT
    April 6, 2011 4:11 p.m.

I am sure nothing was brought up about the honor code but I am glad something nice for Dave Rose that he wants to stay. Lets the entertainment begin.

Why are those trolls doing on this Cougar section? Are they going to be converted to be COUGARS?

• worf Mcallen, TX
    April 6, 2011 4:02 p.m.

Let's hope we keep both Daves. Utes should have kept Boylen. Changing coaches every few years would make me boilin mad.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    April 6, 2011 3:55 p.m.

Hedge/NavalVet

I heard a rumor that Dr. Chris Hill was at the Press Conference, and went to lunch with President Samuelson after...

Coincidence?

Just wondering your take?

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    April 6, 2011 3:53 p.m.

Mormon Ute | 3:18 p.m. April 6, 2011
    Kaysville, UT
    "Enjoy these years while you have them. It won't last forever and the down years can be tough to get through. We Ute fans know from experience."
    ===

I've been watching the Utes for about 50 years.

You do have plenty of experience with the down years.

Majerus did, however, show the Utes what "up years" looked like"...

(...and BYU has seen a few down... I remember them...)

Pretty neat for you kids to have that experience...

• BigRich Orem, UT
    April 6, 2011 3:51 p.m.

Hmmm. Two frequent prognosticators of doom for BYU basketball have been noticeably absent of late. May the change be permanent!

• MichiganCoog Cottonwood Heights, UT
    April 6, 2011 3:49 p.m.

Great to know that BYU haters now have no teeth to their comments...GO COUGS for years to come!

• BlueCoug Orem, UT
    April 6, 2011 3:47 p.m.

From all of your faithful fans, thank you Coach Rose staying at BYU!

• Real Bass Idaho Falls, ID
    April 6, 2011 3:22 p.m.

I thought he was going to the u? Could this mean that the rumors of cash windfalls aren't true either?

• mkSdd3 Ogden, UT
    April 6, 2011 3:22 p.m.

BYU - Dave Rose
    Utah - Larry K.

this round definitely goes to BYU hands down BYU has the better coach.

• Bleeding Blue Salt Lake City, UT
    April 6, 2011 3:18 p.m.

DEW Cougars | 3:02 p.m. April 6, 2011
    Sandy, UT
    Nice to have Dave Rose who will stay and I wondered if he has asked about how to change the honor code structure before accepting the new contract deal?

I'm sure he didn't ask to change the honor code.

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    April 6, 2011 3:18 p.m.

Congratulations to Coach Rose and the Cougars! Enjoy these years while you have them. It won't last forever and the down years can be tough to get through. We Ute fans know from experience.

• GoGetter Sandy, UT
    April 6, 2011 3:16 p.m.

Interesting, that's good news for the Cougars, I only wonder how well they will do without their seniors there anymore. After all, this upcoming season will have no half-court shots to give you 3 points whenever you want it. I wonder if Dave Rose has built a solid enough program that it is not affected by the absence of certain individuals this year.

SoCalTrueBlue2, you're forgetting that the same talk was given last year about BYU getting Jake Heaps, and if you remember, BYU barely made it above a .5 season.

This will be a fun year to watch in both football and basketball for both teams. I can't wait to see what becomes of both programs of both sports.

• CougarBlue Heber City, UT
    April 6, 2011 3:13 p.m.

I am so excited that Coach Rose is staying. I had no doubt he would stay and I am glad BYU came up with the salary to keep him here.

Dear DEW Cougars: Why would he want to make such a silly request? The Honor Code works as it is supposed to work. Far too many people think they only have to say I am sorry I did something and all is forgiven and we move forward. That is not the way things work. One needs to show over a period of time they do feel sorry for what they did. Then after showing they are sincere and really want to correct their life full status is once again given.

If I am correct your name DEW means that your enthusiasm for BYU webs and wanes as the heat comes on, just like morning dew reacts to heat. You need to be a supporter through thick and thin.

• Y4LYFE Lubbock, TX
    April 6, 2011 3:10 p.m.

Go Cougs!! Having Dave Rose remain speaks volumes at the program. Can't wait to continue watching BYU dominate on National TV...every week (in case you aren't aware).

• AZguy Phoenix, AZ
    April 6, 2011 3:02 p.m.

Great news. I appreciate everything Coach Rose has done for BYU and will hopefully continue to do.

Go Cougs!

• DEW Cougars Sandy, UT
    April 6, 2011 3:02 p.m.

• sports-junkie West Jordan, UT
    April 6, 2011 2:58 p.m.

Thanks for your commitment to the program Coach Rose! I am very happy to see you stay and it will be fun to make another run next year!

Go Cougs!!!

• Bleeding Blue Salt Lake City, UT
    April 6, 2011 2:57 p.m.

I think this article meant to say that Coach Rose inked a new five year deal with Utah. I was assured by hedgehog and chris b that this would be the case.

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    April 6, 2011 2:54 p.m.

Never a doubt.

Some Cougar haters predicted Coach Rose would go to utah.

In spite of dreamers h-hog and chris B, BYU will continue to be a big nightmare to tun. At least when BYU comes to the HC there will be a respectable crowd on hand to watch the home team get beat.

Jimmer's half-court shot is firmly etched in my mind.

• morganh Orem, Utah
    April 6, 2011 2:50 p.m.

Thank you Coach Rose for the great year you had. This was a special team and Jimmer was a special player. Behind every great player is a great coach and I am sad to see Jimmer, and Jackson go but you have some great recruits ready to take the reigns so BYU basketball is in good hands and you deserve the raise and I am looking forward to next year.

• Serenity Now American Fork, UT
    April 6, 2011 2:48 p.m.

Coach Rose deserves every penny of whatever pay raise he got, and then some. BYU pays it coaches below-market rates, so I'm grateful Coach Rose found enough non-monetary advantages to stay. He's one of the top 10 coaches in the country and I hope he continues to recruit and win (with honor) like he has the past 6 years. Nice job, Holmoe and Co.

• The Rock Federal Way, WA
    April 6, 2011 2:45 p.m.

BYU basketball is turning up all Roses!
    The program has really blossomed under coach Rose and I look forward to continued success.

• Shaden Lincoln, NE
    April 6, 2011 2:43 p.m.

Great to hear the news. There's no doubt that the team will continue to perform strongly in basketball, especially with Rose there at the helm!

• SoCalTrueBlue2 San Diego, CA
    April 6, 2011 2:41 p.m.

The MOST important thing an athletic director does is hire and retain excellent coaches. Kudos to Holmoe for hiring and retaining two class acts: Dave Rose and Bronco Mendenhall. The future for BYU hoops and the gridiron is very bright.

• Max-was-right springville, UT
    April 6, 2011 2:40 p.m.

hedgy and crissy are weeping...