Sports

Real Salt Lake advances to CONCACAF final despite loss

Comments

• ouisc Farmington, UT
    April 6, 2011 1:52 p.m.

Wow!! This is a monumental accomplishment for RSL and for MLS!
    RSL playing an elite team from Mexico in a meaningful, championship game. Who ever would have thought this? So frickin exciting!!

• NedGrimley Brigham City, UT
    April 6, 2011 1:13 p.m.

@CB. Seriously? Jazz generally get full page coverage if someone does nothing more than get a hang nail. At this point, there is no more season for them, in spite of winning a "really big one". SHould have done that when it mattered. They now "deserve" to be relegated to the back pages.

RSL has been at the top of their game for quite a while. If anyone deserves the recognition, it is Real Salt Lake. A Utah pro team that actually wins! Go RSL!

• RSLFanClub Mendon, Utah
    April 6, 2011 12:46 p.m.

It wasn't a pretty game but the goal was accomplished. We move on to the next stage. The guys dug deep and did what it took and we are proud of them.

• joeyT Schenectady, NY
    April 6, 2011 12:44 p.m.

Yeah, in context, RSL didn't really 'lose.' Really, these series are more like one game, half of it at RSL and half at Saprissa. RSL jumped out to a lead in their half, and Saprissa couldn't make it up in theirs.

• myself Salt Lake City, UT
    April 6, 2011 12:40 p.m.

@ screenname123
    It's simple. They play a two game series with one home game and one away game. The score of the first game was 2-0 RSL. The second game was 2-1 Saprissa. You add the total to get the series winner. RSL wins the series by a score of 3-2.

• tampicojazzfan West Jordan, ut
    April 6, 2011 11:53 a.m.

@screenname123,
    The way they play is agregate score who ever scores the most goals in the 2 legs of the match up advances. RSL beat Saprissa 2-0 at Rio Tinto ant they lost 2-1 last night when you add up the total goals scored in the 2 games RSL scored 3 and they scored 2. Hope that helps.
    Tcikets are on sale let's keep our home field advantage!

• screenname123 Sandy, UT
    April 6, 2011 11:43 a.m.

I will admit that I don't understand soccer (or really care to) BUT will someone please explain how you can lose BUT still advance?

• tampicojazzfan West Jordan, ut
    April 6, 2011 10:56 a.m.

Agree with furymouse was a 50-50 and it helped them being the home team. Anyway, we have to make sure to Keep the Azules and rayados ( Cruz Azul and Monterrey fans ) out of the Rio Tinto Stadium, this is our house and we will host the second leg of the Final let's make the home field advantage count on our team! Every RSL fan needs to be there to witness how we make history ( including the bear since the Jazz will be on vacations already)

• furymouse Draper, UT
    April 6, 2011 10:18 a.m.

@ TJ
    It was 50/50. Saprissa did a spin move that got tangled with Ned's legs and went down. Ned maybe shouldn't have been that tight on him but it was definitely not a malicious penalty on his part.

I was clenched for that entire second half.

• CB Salt Lake City, UT
    April 6, 2011 10:12 a.m.

Interesting that the team that lost is headlined and the one that won a big one is lost in the back pages. With all of the baggage the Jazz have had to carry this season...they came together last night and won a 'really big one'. The deserved better.

• Nussdorfer AC Salt Lake City, UT
    April 6, 2011 10:07 a.m.

Great stuff. Let's see who wins tonight.

• rudipen Layton, ut
    April 6, 2011 9:44 a.m.

Pretty tense in the second half until Olave got that goal. Great technique on that bullet shot. Congrats RSL, keep it up!! IMO the penalty was legit.

• DD JayMario American Fork, UT
    April 6, 2011 9:41 a.m.

What a game! The Jazz are down and out but RSL is the team to beat. We'll have to rally around soccer.

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    April 6, 2011 9:14 a.m.

I diddn't watch the game. Was the last panalty kick legit or was it "home cookin"?

• zjtech Erda, UTah
    April 6, 2011 12:36 a.m.

Tickets on sale tomorrow! Please every Real Fan get to the game April 27th!

• SidewaysSlider Salt Lake City, UT
    April 5, 2011 11:09 p.m.

Get Olave'd Saprissa!

• iRSLfan Salt Lake City, UT
    April 5, 2011 11:07 p.m.

DESNEWS MOD
    I'm sorry about my angry rant about you not posting my first comment. I obviously am too impatient.
    You are great

• iRSLfan Salt Lake City, UT
    April 5, 2011 11:02 p.m.

This game is already getting national recogntion. There are articles in the NY times, and the washington post. RSL has really done something special. They are representing Utah well. Unlike the jazz..

• matt4226 Holladay, UT
    April 5, 2011 11:01 p.m.

Strange feeling from this one, I know we one the series and that is what counts, just wish we could have held on for the 1-1 tie, but I shouldn't be complaining.

Olave's goal was amazing! That really sealed the deal since it meant Saprissa needed 3 more goals to advance due to the away-goal tie breaker rule.

For those that want to congratulate the team, they will be flying to Boston to take on New England this Saturday, so they probably won't be home until Sunday at the earliest.

• JP Chandler, AZ
    April 5, 2011 11:00 p.m.

Huzzah! I love RSL! With the Jazz in the dumps it's nice to have one of my teams doing so well.

• zedubal American Fork, UT
    April 5, 2011 10:51 p.m.

Who cares? No one watches soccer. LOL! This win is huge! All credit to Jason Kreis for taking the CCL seriously and putting a lot of effort into this tournament. Jamison's strike was WORLD CLASS. The final is going to be epic!

• myself Salt Lake City, UT
    April 5, 2011 10:37 p.m.

Mexico is going to be tough but I think we can do it. Maybe I'll be heading to japan for the fifa club world cup? I hope so.

• iRSLfan Salt Lake City, UT
    April 5, 2011 10:23 p.m.

I am so happy right now. RSL is in the champions league final. YEAAA

OK guys/girls now it's up to us to make sure that RSL has homefield advantage against either of the mexican teams. We all know that every single mexican within 100 miles of Rio Tinto will be trying to get to the game to root on their team.

I have already contacted about 6 RSL fans who don't normally attend games to go to root on RSL. I will be talking to my friends and co-workers tomorrow to do my best to make it so RSL has homefield advantage.

Buy the tickets as soon as you possibly can let's keep Rio Tinto a home field for our team!

• sammyg Springville, UT
    April 5, 2011 10:22 p.m.

Way to go Real! Onward to Mexico!

• esker1970 Sandy, Utah
    April 5, 2011 10:17 p.m.

Great game. Congratulations RSL. You make the State of Utah proud. We should go to the airport and congratulate the team. What time they will arrive? Can't wait to watch the final game at Rio Tinto.

• tron527 American Fork, UT
    April 5, 2011 10:12 p.m.

Beautiful strike by Olave. Good luck in Mexico!