Sports

Utah Utes basketball: Players cautiously optimistic about new coach

Comments

• MAFU Salt Lake City, UT
    April 4, 2011 11:05 p.m.

These guys have no idea what awaits them. Krysko has the ability to coach and instill real toughness, instead of just talking about it. Buckle up, Utes.

• SMS Salt Lake City, UT
    April 4, 2011 11:12 p.m.

Hope Clyburn stays, it sounds like he's leaning towards leaving, but we'll see what happens. Also, I hope O'Brien stays he was a bright spot in the program last year and has shown good potential.

• BYU/Jazz fan West Valley, UT
    April 4, 2011 11:26 p.m.

For the sake of the program, I hope all the players stay. They have a chance to right their sinking program of the last few years. If they can turn it around, it'll be quite the memory for them and be great for their NBA chances.

I hope these kids have success against everyone they play, except for my Cougs.

• bigutefan Las Vegas, NV
    April 5, 2011 1:50 a.m.

I hope all the players stay, but let one go (my vote is for DiMaria) and then go get Brandon Davies to sign.

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    April 5, 2011 11:03 a.m.

bigutefan;
    hahahahahahaha! That is really funny. Go from one of the premier teams / schools in the country who will likely be even better next year to one of the worst teams in the country who are likely to struggle for the next 3 years. Yup, I am sure that will happen.

Really though, If the new coach can get these guys to play up to their abilities as a TEAM, which they did not do much of this year, and he can bring in one good recruit and a couple of role players, he will be on the way to a winning season within 2-3 years and maybe a NCAA bid within 5. Optimism is good but reality is that this team is a long way from good.

• SoCalUte Trabuco Canyon, CA
    April 5, 2011 11:22 a.m.

I like Clyburn and how he plays, but his comments make me wonder if he is about winning or if he is all about personal glory.
    I know he like Boylen, but when you are coming off such a miserably season, one would think that a change would be welcome.
    It certainly is a welcome change among the fans.

• Kiboo West Jordan, Utah
    April 5, 2011 12:16 p.m.

If the players are looking to win immediately, Utah is probably not the place for them. If they are willing to put in the hard work and turn the program around in two to three years, Utah is where they belong.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    April 5, 2011 2:16 p.m.

Kiboo | 12:16 p.m. April 5, 2011
    West Jordan, Utah
    "If the players are looking to win immediately, Utah is probably not the place for them."

I couldn't have said it any better myself! LOL

• Eddie Syracuse, UT
    April 5, 2011 4:37 p.m.

I read a lot of doubt and negative thoughts. I will predict that at least two players leave the program and possibly 3. This will cause this train wreck on the hill to last at least five years. Look for coach K to leave in two to three years. AAAAHHHHHH what a century to be a ute.

• SoCalUte Trabuco Canyon, CA
    April 5, 2011 4:43 p.m.

@ Ducky, Don't be so quick to laugh. The problem for the past two years has not been with the talent of the players, it has been the coaching. As in, NO fundamentals taught at all.
    The Utes will be a contender next season. even in the PAC12.

Coach K was an NBA guy who was a 'BIG', after 3 years at the U, Foster will finally learn how to play as a 'Big'.

Mark my words.

• KamUte South Jordan, UT
    April 5, 2011 7:27 p.m.

If the players leave, that is ok. They were the best players on a bad team meaning they will be a mediocre player somewhere else. If your loyalty is to a coach, then go chase Boylen and lose a Division 1 season. If they want to play top competition and improve, stick around. We want players that want to be here. This is real life. Get tough or get out. This is not the NBA and there isn't anyone on Utah's roster that will get a sniff from any pro team.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    April 5, 2011 9:33 p.m.

I have never heard so many players waffle about their future just because of a coaching change. I don't understand why Clyburn would want to Redshirt between his junior and senior year. That makes no sense to me.

• Rock Of The Marne Phoenix, AZ
    April 5, 2011 10:06 p.m.

Glad to see the BYU fans showing their obsession with all things Utah; way to go little brother.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    April 5, 2011 10:41 p.m.

@socalute

You've gotta admit that was just tee'd up for me to hit. LOL

• Dyer Gary Bountiful, UT
    April 6, 2011 7:58 a.m.

utah will do well in the pac 12 and clyburn will not hurt us at all,we will get some players from out of state who can play bb.