Sports

Utah Utes basketball: Krystkowiak introduced to local media

Comments

• Skippy West Jordan, UT
    April 5, 2011 10:49 a.m.

Thanks True blue- I remember Russell a little, but his college days were a little before my time.

• Utah'95 FPO, AE
    April 5, 2011 9:29 a.m.

Mountanman,

Wow. Thanks for the comments out of left field - actually, out of far right field....

homers,

Just because you believe it doesn't make it true.

I'll print the numbers again for you. They reflect NCAA Tournament info 1985-2010, according to the Washington Post:

Conference - Tourney games played - winning percentage

Pac 10 - 236 - 57%
    WCC - 62 - 40%
    MWC - 36 - 28%
    WAC - 100 - 43%

The Pac 10 has had 3 programs (Arizona, UCLA, and Stanford) play in the Final 4. The MWC and WCC had ZERO Final Four appearances, and the WAC had 1 - UTAH.

The only other Final Four team in the last 25 years from the western states is UNLV. Their glory days were as members of the Big West Conference.

So, despite your dissing the basketball in the Pac 10, the objective data clearly indicates that it is better than any of the other western conferences.

• Joe Schmoe Orem, UT
    April 5, 2011 7:42 a.m.

Who is Jack Murphy?

• TrueBlue Orem, UT
    April 4, 2011 10:49 p.m.

Skippy

San Francisco of the WCC won back-to-back NCAA championships in the 1950's led by one of the all-time great basketball players, Bill Russell.

• BYUalum South Jordan, UT
    April 4, 2011 10:20 p.m.

Yawn!

• Skippy West Jordan, UT
    April 4, 2011 10:19 p.m.

I have seen all the info I want about the pac12 but I just have one question and I seriously don't know the answer...How many titles have the WCC won in basketball?
    Good luck Coach! Go out and do what you have said and the utes will be okay. I hope their is some Running involved.

• Dave S Holladay, UT
    April 4, 2011 9:50 p.m.

@Observation-ist: Seriously a Harline comment?? How long did it take for you to come up with that one?

I'm amazed at the number of obsessed BYU fans posting on UTE articles. How can you possibly trash a new coach whom you know nothing about? I think Coach K2 is going to be a great fit for the UTES and obviously he is very well thought of by his peers and former players.

• MiP Iowa City, IA
    April 4, 2011 9:38 p.m.

"Remove UCLA from the picture and the PAC-10 has won four titles since 1939 and only once since 1975."
    ---Homers @ 856 PM

Sure. Remove one of the elite programs from the conference and see if that makes a difference...

• Observation-ist Ogden, UT
    April 4, 2011 9:25 p.m.

Coach has several challenges ... one of which is to get more fans than BYU-haters who are excited about his program. I can't believe that in 5 hours (4:22 to 9:21) only 20 posts on this article and some of them are from my fellow BYU fans.

Unlike some of my fellow BYU fans, I actually want the Utes to succeed in basketball. I'd much prefer to beat a 14-2 Ute team than a 4-12 club that ends up in the lower half of the PAC-12. Go ahead and whoop up on the PAC-12. Just expect to get beat in Provo. Harline will still be open and we'll find someone to drain a 40 footer just before halftime ... just for old-time sakes.

Good luck Coach K.

• homers Provo, UT
    April 4, 2011 8:56 p.m.

Sorry to break it to you but the competition level in the PAC-10 isn't all that good. The PAC-10 hasn't won a title since 1997. Remove UCLA from the picture and the PAC-10 has won four titles since 1939 and only once since 1975. With UCLA in the picture the PAC-10 has only won twice in the last quarter century. Let's face it, the move was for money not competition.

• Tyler McArthur South Jordan, UT
    April 4, 2011 8:26 p.m.

He seems like a good fit. A mediocre coach for a mediocre, run-of-the-mill, pretty normal public school. There's not really anything that special about either. Good luck guys. Really.

• Vince the boonies, mexico
    April 4, 2011 8:15 p.m.

Nice trash talk children, I'll bet my dad can whip your dad huh? Is this bantering representative of young college students today? Are mom & dads finances holding out O.K. for you? How about giving the new coach some respect for 1 day? And you peeps that keep referring to Larry's record at Milwaukee, I guess you were all too young and didn't know that Milwaukee was worse then than this Jazz team playing now. He was asked to manage a sinking ship that still doesn't float to well today and was only given 1 year to try. Hardly any chance to do much! This is one of the reasons I personnally don't care for either the Y or U and I am a native utahn now retired so as can be seen that covers many years. How about trying to be a little more respectful with each other or is that for adults only?

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    April 4, 2011 7:42 p.m.

@pebbles

All time record between the schools belongs to BYU. Just thught you'd like to know. LOL

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    April 4, 2011 7:39 p.m.

"Its the institution that is the problem as evidenced by the bevy of athletes who transfered out!"

Meanwhile Jack Murphy looks like he might be the starting FB this for the Utes....hey, I know you don't get many of them but thanks for the 4 star.

• Swoop Salt Lake City, UT
    April 4, 2011 7:12 p.m.

BoringGuy

"A little concerned about the re-birth of Ute basketball are we??"

Hardly.

Calls us if that ever happens though.

If you knew ANYTHING about your new coach, however, you'd know that he's never gone by Coach K.

That name is reserved for a proven head basketball coach.

• Mountanman Hayden, ID
    April 4, 2011 6:54 p.m.

@Hedgehog. Why measure your success by the tds? The Pac 12 will not solve your problems and neither will trading coaches every two years! Your problems are much, much deeper than any coach can solve! Its the institution that is the problem as evidenced by the bevy of athletes who transfered out! I am sure reproductive biology is well understood by people to the south of you! They actually have two parents for each child there with unwavering regularity!

• Chris B's momma Idaho Falls, ID
    April 4, 2011 6:47 p.m.

Someone get that boy a razor!

• BoringGuy Holladay, UT
    April 4, 2011 6:21 p.m.

A lot of negative remarks coming from our friends from down South about our new man on campus. A little concerned about the re-birth of Ute basketball are we??

The Utes are in the PAC-12 with a brand new, big name coach. The "real" Coach K is going to return the Utes back to hoops glory where we belong.

Any brief span of success other teams in the state may have enjoyed is now coming to an end.

• Realistic Goggles Alpine, UT
    April 4, 2011 6:21 p.m.

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss.

• ouisc Farmington, UT
    April 4, 2011 5:58 p.m.

The big men have significantly improved their game everywhere Krystko has coached. Krystko left it all on the floor as a player, and he has matured as a coach. I'm excited to see what Krystko can do with the Ute program!

• Mountanman Hayden, ID
    April 4, 2011 5:34 p.m.

Utes need a warden, not a coach given the behavior of some of their "athletes".

• bigutefan Las Vegas, NV
    April 4, 2011 5:24 p.m.

Good luck coach, and I hope Clyburn really thinks it through and stays. Sitting out a year, that doesn't sound great, when you can start in the PAC12. Coach K needs to dump one player (DiMaria) and go get Davies.

• Penguin Inc. Salt Lake City, Utah
    April 4, 2011 4:54 p.m.

This guy's a real fireplug, I'll tell ya what. I'm excited.

• Y-Not-u Bluffdale, UT
    April 4, 2011 4:40 p.m.

Good luck Coach. We need all programs in the state to be respectable in all facets. You have your work cut out for you. Kudos for wanting to work for local talent. If you make that a priority over international recruiting, you will have success more quickly.

Go Utes, except when playing the Cougs.

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    April 4, 2011 4:40 p.m.

A good start. Let's hope the attitude translates to actions on the court from the players and brings in recruits that can improve the team.