Sports

Dick Harmon: Jimmer Fredette's decision to stay was the right one

Comments

• manaen Buena Park, CA
    April 4, 2011 7:06 p.m.

Jimmer's move to play 4 years in college: great decision!
    Shawn Bradley's 1-and-done move: not so much.

• Ernesto de Bajo Albuquerque, NM
    April 4, 2011 6:20 p.m.

Players come and go
    Seasons wax and wane
    Some are soon mere embers
    Some glow long in fame
    Tick One One, what of it?
    The raging fire still burns
    Jimmer is the pivot
    Jimmer world still turns
    While the heat still warms us
    What is left to say?
    The Jimmerdom at Provo
    May it never fade away!

• ed Los Olivos, CA
    April 4, 2011 12:51 p.m.

I hope this means that more NBA players will stop the primal scream and celebration after every shot they make. If Jimmer's legacy in the NBA is to stay cool, that would be great. I am sick of the NBA players' posturing. I would love to see Clyde Frazier approack back to the game.

• Sloppyj30 Saint Louis, MO
    April 4, 2011 12:19 p.m.

I thank Jimmer for giving me a way to annoy my 12-year-old daughter by throwing his name into any conversation at any time, regardless of relevance. Sample conversation:

Daughter: "Mom, my teeth are a little dingy. Which toothpaste can we buy that will keep them white?"
    Mom: "There are a couple you could try. Next time we go to the store . . "
    Me, butting in: "You know who has incredibly white, straight teeth? Jimmer."
    Daughter and Wife: (unamused glares)
    Me: "Jimmer doesn't care for your attitude."

• pinetrees2 Aurora, CO
    April 4, 2011 12:10 p.m.

Jimmer has been a refuge from the storms of life for me. For 40 minutes a couple of times a week I was able to escape from the realities of life and found myself cheering, jumping up and down, high fiveing my family. It was awesome! Thanks Jimmer!

• plyxply SLC, UT
    April 4, 2011 11:55 a.m.

Jimmer, thanks alot! Now I spend half of our practices (10 yr old girls) convincing the kids that a 30 footer is not a good shot and that none of them are Jimmer. Kids don't practice the normal three's anymore, they all have to jack up Jimmer's from out of bounds.....preciate 'cha.

• netmaster Farmington, UT
    April 4, 2011 10:06 a.m.

Some have said Jimmer isn't big enough to play in the NBA. I looked at all starting point guards in the league, and the average came out to exactly 6'2" and 190#, so Jimmer at 6'2" and 195# is just fine, and he's a lot stronger than some of those NBA guards, too. His jumping ability at 36" vertical is probably the median, so I think he'll be fine there, too. His quickness, despite what some critics say, is excellent. His shooting ability is really good. His work ethic is second to none. What sets Jimmer apart from most other players coming out of college is that he has been double and triple teamed almost every game, something few NBA teams can afford to do. He also has been defended extremely physically, to the point that he would be drawing fouls in the NBA, which doesn't let guards to touch opponents away from the basket. Plus the kid is a great passer and will probably be in the 7 to 9 assists per game range if he gets to play a lot of minutes. My prediction: impact player, possibly All Star someday.

• Sloppyj30 Saint Louis, MO
    April 4, 2011 9:15 a.m.

I second the "hold off on season tickets" sentiment. Look, I've loved watching James Fredette this year and hope he's a massive NBA star, but really, how likely is that? Especially as a rook? Is it theoretically possible? Sure . . but significantly less than likely.

The history of NBA draft is littered with huge busts, unexpected stars and a few guys who performed right at expectations. I believe Jimmer will be the latter, but really I have no idea.

The least likely scenario, however, is that he'll be a huge star from day 1. I would be giddy, but really, that would be a shocker. So, to the casual fans who have jumped on the Jimmerwagon, I'd say "calm down; be patient" and to the haters I'd say . . well, nothing. If he's a flop, they'll be smug about it; if he's successful on any level they'll dismiss it for various convoluted reasons.

It's been fun, at any rate. Another win or four in the Dance would've been nice, but I can't complain.

• The Rock Federal Way, WA
    April 4, 2011 9:11 a.m.

This decision was the right one in pure financial terms.

1. Jimmer Mania will translate into millions in endorsements. That would not have happened without this senior year.
    2. Jimmer's NBA stock has increased dramatically as a result of this year.

@Seattleview

Hey we both live in Federal Way, WA. I bet we know each other.

• Rikitikitavi Cardston, Alberta
    April 4, 2011 8:30 a.m.

I add a simple "AMEN" to all the great comments you folks have made about Jimmer. Just one P.S. however: I would love to be there when #32 Fredette jersey is hoisted into the rafters at the Marriott Center, which by the way I helped to build back in 1972. Thanks also to all you classy UTE fans and USU fans who realize just how much positive recognition Jimmer has brought to the great State of UTAH.

• Seattleview Federal Way, WA
    April 3, 2011 7:57 p.m.

A fabulous season. It will forever be remembered.

As for wisha's, I wish tha Michael Lloyd could have stayed wity BYU for another year. If, like the others, he would have botten into supporting the team concept and let Fredette be the key figure and just come in to support him, the team really would have had another demension to it. Of course, if Collingsworth could have stayed healthy that also would have helped the team immensely. With these guys I expect a final four appearance could have been a reality.

Once again though, I will be satisfied with a wonderful season for BYU.

• The Rock Federal Way, WA
    April 3, 2011 5:09 p.m.

Amazing Season!
    Great Advice (except for IMHO).

Now the Jimmer needs to copyright his name.
    Open a chain of "Jimmer GYMs" where his uncles training techniques can be used to train future basketball players.
    I picture long dark hallways with a light at the end for practicing dribbling, with alcoves on the side so people can jump out at you.
    I see teams of 12 year olds going against the kindergarten set, just so they can figure out how to win against all odds.

Well, maybe not. The Jimmer cannot be replicated, duplicated or imitated.

Long live The Jimmer.

Number 32
    32 wins
    Averaged over 32 in the NCAA tournament

There must be a #32 rafter in the Marriott Center he can hang his Jersey on.

• metamoracoug metamora, IL
    April 3, 2011 2:18 p.m.

In my humble opinion: is that your advice to the rest of us? :)

There is a lot of talk of Jimmer not having the right body type, not being athletic, etc. I recommend a book entitled Outliers. It premise is essentially that people who are really good at something didn't get there because they have "natural skill." It happened because they practice more than others. The author uses some exceptional examples in sports, music and other fields. For example, musicians who reach the pinnacle in their field have practiced on average 10,000 hours.

Jimmer is where he is because he has put in the time to be there. Good spiritual lesson for us there too.

• In My Humble Opinion South Jordan, UT
    April 3, 2011 12:52 p.m.

"all good advice" or not, honestly, what makes people think that, A), this is the venue to give it and B), you are the person to give it? (As opposed to his parents, for example). Seems like hubris to me...

• cynic Appleton, WI
    April 3, 2011 10:09 a.m.

Kay Fredette is a justifiably proud mother, and her comments are the most insightful in the article. Jimmer is indeed "just a regular, unassuming kid that happens to play good basketball." That's one of the things that make him so appealing, and that give us all reason to hope he succeeds. He hasn't sought the attention, but has handled it with a grace and humility that should be a model to others.

• DEW Cougars Sandy, UT
    April 3, 2011 10:07 a.m.

I like that last part about his mom thought about his son. Yes she will always be proud of her Jimmer for the rest of her life.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    April 3, 2011 9:23 a.m.

Louisiana Cougar | 5:14 a.m. April 3, 2011
    Pineville, LA

All great advice (especially about finding the right mate).

Jimmer did not get where he got by having the right athletic body, but through planning and work ethic. I see him going as far as he wants to.

That being said, Jimmer's colegiate compares to Cosic, and Ainge. Also Kozlowski, McMahon, Young, and Detmer in football. If we're lucky, maybe Heaps.

Thanks for making the decision. I believe it will turn out to have been as right a decision for you to make, as it has been for us as sports fans, from all universities in the state, and the fans of the MWC who were able to see you play in person, and on TV this year.

• onyx1950 West Jordan, UT
    April 3, 2011 8:55 a.m.

Jimmer will be MVP of the NBA someday. Mark my word. You heard it here first.

• Esquire Springville, UT
    April 3, 2011 8:43 a.m.

It was the right decision. He left great memories for the fans and he will have great memories for himself for a lifetime. I don't know what kind of an NBA career he will have, but he'll always be revered on campus. I think a certain 7'6" center would have done better to stay longer in school. I wish Jimmer the very best. Thanks to the Happy Warrior!

• Ade Kaysville, UT
    April 3, 2011 8:31 a.m.

Was Jimmer a McDonalds All-American? If not, what happened to all of those McDonalds All-Americans four years ago. I think he outplayed them all. Good luck in the NBA. Signed..UTE Fan

• JFFR Salt Lake City, UT
    April 3, 2011 8:02 a.m.

@poyman, I'd hold off on the season tickets. Very few rookies get lots of playing time their first year. Roddick took 3 o 4 years before he could contribute, Morrison faded away. Curry I guess did pretty okay his rookie year (the one most like Jimmer)

Rose gave Jimmer a green light that has never before been seen in the game of basketball. Thats not going to happen again. Even Steve Nash isn't allowed to take shots Jimmer does.

• JFFR Salt Lake City, UT
    April 3, 2011 8:00 a.m.

Super Sid > Jimmer

• Louisiana Cougar Pineville, LA
    April 3, 2011 5:14 a.m.

Thanks, Jimmer, for a great career -- and for my favorite BYU basketball season ever.

Success in life. Find a partner who will respect and honor you. Treat her the same way.

Don't make this season be the high point of your life. Go on to become as good a husband and father, as committed an employee and friend, and as caring about others and their success as you have been an outstanding basketball player.

We admire you as a person as much as we do as a great scorer. Let this season be your convocation, your beginning for a legacy of greatness in contributing to a troubled world.

We need you to do that too!

But thanks for an incredible BYU career and we look forward to seeing you at the next level in the NBA!

• sammyg Springville, UT
    April 3, 2011 4:38 a.m.

When Jimmer's name is mentioned you cannot avoid smiling or thinking something positive. That's influence!

Thanks Jimmer! Thanks for your example!

• Real Bass Idaho Falls, ID
    April 3, 2011 4:04 a.m.

Wonder what could have happened if those two big guys, forgot their names, had stayed in school longer?

• poyman Lincoln City, OR
    April 3, 2011 2:11 a.m.

I have already decided to buy season tix if he plays for a team anywhere close to me and I have definitely decided to buy the NBA pass so I don't miss any of his heroics in the NBA next year....

I bet that there are a couple of Ute fans that like to blog with us who will want to do that same thing.... Huh HH and CB?

• RaininTime Orem, UT
    April 2, 2011 11:39 p.m.

Jimmer just reads his Bible, has a strict moral code, a warm smile and a cold, cold stare when it comes to scoring. Jimmer will be an incredible NBA player.

Thank for the memories, my friend. If the Jazz draft you, I'll come watch and maybe the Jazz can return to a Final.