Sports

Vai's View: Airports, missionaries and chance encounters

Comments

• awsomeron1 Oahu, HI
    April 3, 2011 10:23 p.m.

Vi, sometimes you are awful, sometimes you are awesome, this is one of the awesome times.

Mustly because of your respect for the Boy and your willingness to grab the moment instead of woundering if you should have said somthing. Regardless of what happened at dinner good seed was planted. Thank You and Bless you and your family.

• El Chango Supremo Rexburg, ID
    April 3, 2011 1:54 p.m.

I love Vai's blog! I always look forward to it.

Thanks Vai!!

• Wally West SLC, UT
    April 3, 2011 10:06 a.m.

Re: treecaps22 | 11:31 a.m. April 1, 2011

I agree for the most part but the only exception I have is...

{How assuming of anyone to pass judgement as whether or not someone else feels the love of the Lord. I imagine you have a bowl-full of critiques after testimony meetings.}

That IMO is exactly the contrived ,holier-than-thou,attitude because Im a true beliver mentality that annoys those of us have Sundays entirely free.

Re: ute-chute | 6:27 p.m. April 1, 2011

I agree. But, why improve yourself when its so much easier to judge and comndemn others? Sarcasm off.

• Hank Pym SLC, UT
    April 3, 2011 9:57 a.m.

re: WA_Alum&Dad | 7:33 p.m. March 31, 2011 & UtahMD | 7:55 p.m. March 31, 2011

I'm sorry but Veritas Aequitas has a point. There is a lot of faked sincerity and people doing things for a "look at me & how holy I am" buzz.

Vai is one the few sincere and well meaning. But, those people are becoming more and more scarce.

All the true believers are looking for exposure and the chance for fame. It sounds like a "quest" for "independence" and only comes off as Prideful.

I find it amusing that people are taking exception VA's comments. Is the Wasatch Front supposed to come to halt because its conference weekend? Again, Prideful.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    April 3, 2011 9:09 a.m.

@hummm...

Now we are all dropping names.

See, the church is true with or without the gospel of the Lord!?!

Dropping names, using kids out of the audience as part of the "magic act".

===

-0r-

"Membership in the Church and conversion are not necessarily synonymous. Being converted . . . and having a testimony are not necessarily the same thing either. A testimony comes when the Holy Ghost gives the earnest seeker a witness of the truth. A moving testimony vitalizes faith-that is, it induces repentance and obedience to the commandments. Conversion, on the other hand, is the fruit of, or the reward for, repentance and obedience (Look to God and Live, 1973, p. 111).
    Leaders of the Church constantly stress the fact that true conversion is a life-long process, not something that is over once a person is baptized. Members are constantly encouraged to commit to being converted to the teachings and gospel of Christ."

Hey enjoy conference bro.

• Humm?? Tropic, UT
    April 2, 2011 9:06 p.m.

Veritas, you are killing me. You accuse Vai of name dropping and then you drop Elder Kimball and Richards - being in your dad's office. Guess what I knew President Kimball too. He stayed at my grandparents house several times, had a party with him once. Don't think he would have had a problem with anything Vai said (and no I'm not a BYU fan). Also, just got back from general priesthood meeting. Heard several times that missionary work was a duty. Guess I'll take an apostles word on that over your's.

• oldcougar Orem, UT
    April 2, 2011 4:49 p.m.

Keep it up, Vai. Wonderful blog entry...inspiring. I'm pretty sure you won't be discouraged by the real name dropper (the privileged one who sat at the feet of Elders Kimball and Richards).

Hurray for you, Vai! You are a fine example. You not only talk about it, you do it! I think you are an example of following the prophet. Pres. Monson would probably have done as you did and he may have even told the story at the pulpit...maybe even more than once!

• Honor Code Denver, Colorado
    April 2, 2011 6:22 a.m.

Were there any Missionaries on that flight yesterday that decided to add a moon roof???

• Rynn Las Vegas, NV
    April 2, 2011 6:20 a.m.

Veritas,

There are some people that get very offended over the slightest disagreement with their views. It happens time and time again on this website. Sometimes civil disagreements will get judged no differently than an inflammatory disagreement. It's better to ignore the people like that.

• badlandscougar great plains, sd
    April 2, 2011 1:17 a.m.

Another nice article Bro Vai. i thought it was a commandment to share the gospel? maybe when the elders come over i'll let them know that i'll meet them next time to go do missionary work...

• CandaceSalima Orem, UT
    April 1, 2011 9:48 p.m.

This is vintage Vai Sikahema. He talks the talk and walks the walk. Thanks for sharing this story with us Vai. It helps us to remember to be more aware of those around us.

And while I'm at it, thanks for coming on our radio show today. You were fabulous.

• skywalker Palo Alto, CA
    April 1, 2011 9:04 p.m.

veritas

I usually find your comments insightful and on target, but in this case, I have to agree with treecaps22.

Vai's article was interesting and inspirational, and I didn't think Vai was in any way trying to lecture others or shine a light on himself.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    April 1, 2011 8:43 p.m.

OK, I sure hate to do this, but I am now going to jump on Chris B, Hedgies, and Otis's bandwagon, and make a ton of enemies.

You kids really need to lighten up. You will find many people in your life that disagree with you, and your "personal" belief system (not the gospel).

Instead of trying to belittle them, and TRY to make them look inferior to you, back off, and be an example of Christ.

I am not perfect, and none of my comments on this topic have been perfect.

But look at the big picture.

Would Christ have "played" young Scottie like that?

Would Christ have told me to "listen better"?

Treecaps, was I really intolerant?

You kids need to basck off of your heavy handed approach.

I cannot tolerate the arrogance and ignorance of Utah fans, and that is where many of my posts come from. But to be on the other side of the LDS line... I do understand why they use sports as a way to fight back to your attitudes.

Once again, I love Vai, and his stories. Does he drop names and put his family above reproach? You tell me...

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    April 1, 2011 8:28 p.m.

Can I just take a minute and thank everyone for setting me straight?

I remember sitting as a young man with Elder Kimball and Richards, and talking about the gospel.

They were in my father's office, and we were talking about something, I think it about the gospel. I remember them telling me about what the gospel was about, and about a pure testimony. It was nothing anyone, including Vai, today has spoke about.

I realize now it is about a coordinated effort between a former NFL football player, and an 11 year old kid, ganging up on a young lady, whose boyfriend slid back the BOM.

Now, I NEVER slammed either person, but I sure have pulled my share of negative responses today.

Someday I hope that I will reach the same spiritual level as you all.

But that day, discussing the nature of the Lord's kingdom, did not include any of the comments I have recieved today.

I thank you all for your input, but I will take Elder Kimball's and Richard's testimony over any of your chastizement anyday.

What's neat, is I'm cool with where I am at.

Peace...

• treecaps22 Charlotte, North Carolina
    April 1, 2011 7:33 p.m.

@veritas: You ask "why all of the negativity?" Really? Start from the first post after this article and then come back and tell us where the negativity began. You might be amazed that you can actually answer your own question on the second post.

• treecaps22 Charlotte, North Carolina
    April 1, 2011 7:28 p.m.

@ute-chute and veritas: You both are using the same circular logic. 1) Veritas passes judgement on Via by assuming he is telling the story to shine a light on himself and as a result must not feel the real joy of the Lord in his life. 2) Others are critical of Veritas's judgement. 3) The two of you accuse other of being judgmental and unchristian - when it was your initial judgment others are being critical of. Are you with me? Do you see the irony? You actually challenge other people's intentions and love for the Lord and then when others are critical of that, you cry foul and unfair judgement? Really? Those who scream for tolerance are usually the most intolerant and those who decry judgement are typically the most judgmental. You can't hide behind the "you can't handle other opinions" and "don't be so judgmental" argument if you are epitomizing both stances.

• ute-chute Beverly Hills, CA
    April 1, 2011 6:27 p.m.

I wonder why everyone is beating up on Veritas?

He has not posted a hatefule-anti LDS comment. Many a Utah fan has.

He has a different point of view.

Are we as LDS people so dogmatic that we even "eat our own"?

I too love Vai's comments, but must admit, he does drop names on every blog, and every blog is about how special he and his family is doing.

Do we as LDS faithful jump on this as being Christlike? Would Christ post these blogs?

I disagree with Veritas that we keep them in the closet, but do we jump on him for asking Vai, and us to be humble?

Maybe you are right, and we blast this from megaphones on the street as our "duty" ... like I know many of you have not.

Too many judgemental responses. I'm sure that many need to clean up their own backyards before they clean up others.

But, you LDS Christians are a peculiar bunch...

• BobP Port Alice, B.C.
    April 1, 2011 6:04 p.m.

I flew over the Pacific from Korea to and from Canada. On one occaision I was flying American Airlines. I was in a cramped middle seat when a lovely flight attendant asked if I would like to move to First Class. She asked if I was LDS and I said yes. She pointed at the line across my upper leg. During the longer quieter parts of the flight we compared children. It was kind of her to take care of an old man.

• common sense 11 Lehi, UT
    April 1, 2011 2:40 p.m.

Vai, you're awesome! Ive flown many times by myself as a teenager, and man what I would do for an experience like that.

• Dadof8 Pleasant Grove, UT
    April 1, 2011 1:54 p.m.

I traveled frequently for previous employment. I have been in and out of airports all over the U.S. I always relished those flights where a missionary was returning home. Like Vai I would hang back just to watch the reunion. Many a time I walked to my rental car with tears in my eyes.

There is one flight that I particularly recall. I not only boarded the plane with an Elder, but a member of the Quorum of the Seventy and his family. We were coming into SLC on a very stormy June evening. I have only experienced turbulence like that on one other occasion. I thought well with Elder So&So on the plane and a missionary coming home I am safe. Then a thought brought me up short. When I came home from my mission I was never more prepared to return to my Father in Heaven. Elder So&So probably has no fear of that meeting and neither would the missionary. Suddenly very nervous, I vowed that day I would do my best to be prepared regardless. The Lords timing is not our timing by any stretch. A missionary on a plane is no guarantee.

• IJ Hyrum, Ut
    April 1, 2011 1:34 p.m.

Go ye therefore into all the world ...
    And when thou art converted ...

The duty is to share the gospel with our neighbor - whether they live next door, fly on our plane, or live in Italy or chile. (I have two missionaries)

We do our duty because we love the Lord and want to keep his commandments.

The joy comes in the service we provide, for when you are in the service of your fellow man, you are only in the service of God.

Via, outstanding article. I imagine Scott will be a much better missionary due to your touching his life and showing him (and us) how its done.

God bless you.

• Tami Herriman, UT
    April 1, 2011 1:17 p.m.

My 13 year old daughter was traveling alone last summer and there was a mix-up with the people who were supposed to pick her up. She spotted 2 elders and asked if she could sit with them until her ride showed up. I will ever be grateful for the service they performed for a scared young girl flying by herself for the first time. Go elders!

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    April 1, 2011 12:09 p.m.

Kyle loves BYU/Jazz | 11:41 a.m. April 1, 2011
    Provo, UT

===
    treecaps22 | 11:31 a.m. April 1, 2011
    Charlotte, North Carolina

===

I stand corrected.

These are all very humble, non-argumentative, loving statements.

If this is meant to be an uplifting missionary story, and everyone was spiritually uplifted, why all of the negativity?

See... why do the two-year, set apart, missionary thing, just to return and to argue and demean an opinion? Did anyone make any headway spiritually coming after me today? Now you can all go home and boast of the spirituality you brought into my life today.

Enjoy conference...

I have a wonderful wife and beautiful daughters. We look forward to both days.

• Kyle loves BYU/Jazz Provo, UT
    April 1, 2011 11:41 a.m.

"please do not tell me arrogantly to listen better, because I arrogantly feel I have a deeper understanding than you do on the subject." -Veritas

umm ok. There is a lot of things wrong with that but I won't go into it if you will just stop arguing with people. I understand your frustration with people sharing things they shouldn't. We've all been in a fast and testimony meeting and heard things that shouldn't have been shared, but I'm not sure why you need to get on here and criticize Vai Sikahema for sharing this. My mom taught me if you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all. We should all work on that.

A lot of people including me found this to be a very inspiring story and are grateful Vai shared it.

• treecaps22 Charlotte, North Carolina
    April 1, 2011 11:31 a.m.

The more I get to know Vai through his blog the move convinced I become that we need more people like him in this world. I love his boldness. Stories are powerful - we'll hear 50 of them during conference this weekend. I, for one, was refreshed and invigorated by this particular experience - thank you.

@veritas aequitas: There are always individuals who question other people's motives for doing things. I live in the South - I see it all the time. Those who profess to be Christians but then spend much of their time and energy policing who is the better "Christian". There is ironic immaturity in your critique. You said, "one day you will hopefully feel the joy of the loving the Lord, and sharing it, and not need to blog it." I have evangelical christians who, usually in a very arrogant manner, tell me, "one day you will hopefully feel the joy of loving the Lord...you don't need to tell me about it..." How assuming of anyone to pass judgement as whether or not someone else feels the love of the Lord. I imagine you have a bowl-full of critiques after testimony meetings.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    April 1, 2011 11:08 a.m.

Thanks Fresno Girl...

===
    J-TX | 9:10 a.m.
    Allen, TX
    Veritas:

Hopefully you will listen this weekend better than you listened last October:

===

J-TX:
    Hopefully you will listen with the "spirit" to the messages the spirit is communicating to you better than you have in the past, and not just the words.

Have I taken issue with anyone elses opinion?

J-TX, I apologize to you that I have an opinion on this subject, but please do not tell me arrogantly to listen better, because I arrogantly feel I have a deeper understanding than you do on the subject.

BTW, why is this in the sports section?

• Flashback Kearns, UT
    April 1, 2011 10:52 a.m.

Awesome job Vai.

• fresnogirl Fresno, CA
    April 1, 2011 10:17 a.m.

Veritas Aequitas

For what it's worth, I think I understood what you meant. I think you meant that we should serve one another for the joy of serving Heavenly Father and not because we feel we HAVE TO or so we can tell everyone about it later in order to be praised or thought well of. I think most of us will agree with that.

It all comes from what is the motivation. If Vai is sharing this simply to get praise, then he shouldn't. But if he is sharing this story to strengthen and encourage others in their missionary efforts, then he should. I liked it because it did the latter for me.

Either way, I hope the other posters will see what you are trying to say and cut you some slack. Enjoy Conference this weekend.

• RBN Salt Lake City, UT
    April 1, 2011 10:09 a.m.

That's a Good One...

I heard a saying once. "Unsolicited advise is nearly always self-serving".

• That's A Good One Meridian, ID
    April 1, 2011 9:40 a.m.

Based on President Sikahema's description of aunts, uncles, cousins, girlfriends and the kitchen sink all being at the airport to hail the arrival of returned missionaries I'd say there aren't too many priesthood leaders who make their members aware of the phrase in the handbook that says "It is recommended that only immediate family members go to the airport to pick up missionaries who are returning at the completion of their missions".

I prefer to do my "duty" to follow the brethren's guidance in this regard, not to mention a returning missionary's first moments are sweetest and best spent with his/her immediate family. There is plenty of time for extended friends and relatives to welcome the elder/sister home once the core group who stuck with him/her unfailingly for their entire mission has the opportunity to celebrate the accomplishment and savor the growth in that immediate family setting.

Just my personal opinion-

• JustAnotherAverageGuy Holladay, UT
    April 1, 2011 9:25 a.m.

Even though I'm a staunch Utah fan, I look forward to reading Vai's entries, and usually find a tear or two welling up over some aspect of his stories. I am always impressed by his writing skill, given that English is not his native language.

I have a son serving in Vai's mission and keep hoping each time I read Vai's blog that my son gets to meet him sometime in the next 2 years.

• J-TX Allen, TX
    April 1, 2011 9:10 a.m.

Veritas:

Hopefully you will listen this weekend better than you listened last October:

As We Meet Together Again
    Thomas S. Monson, October 2010 General Conference
    "Missionary service is a priesthood dutyan obligation the Lord expects of us who have been given so very much."

To choose the word "Duty" is correct, as well as all the other words expressed here about missionary "work".

For you to criticize Vai for using the same word the Prophet used is.....?

• Red Salt Lake City, UT
    April 1, 2011 9:00 a.m.

Great example Vai,

It's time for everyone to start sharing the gospel like you do AND to Blog about it!!!

Thanks for being aware of Scott and helping him to learn how to use the Articles of Faith in an actual discussion of the gospel.

Not sure, how spreading the gospel in your "closet" is going to help anyone. Let your light keep shining brightly!!!! I love it.

The world is a mess because there are not enough people like you in it. Everyone can share the LIGHT that is in them instead of keeping it under a bushel (or in their closet).

Thanks for doing your duty to help other people see that light!!! You are making the world better.

I am one of the people that need your blog. I love it. Keep the stories coming. Hopefully more people will join the cause to brighten this world up by opening their mouths and telling joyous stories that are fun and bright.

Not sure how many other people are hiding in their dark closets feeling superior to you, but it is my duty to call them out into the light and bask in its warmth with us.

• onebigdaddy Dillon, CO
    April 1, 2011 8:45 a.m.

It is a commandment to all members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day-Saints

1.When thou art converted, strengthen thy Brother
    2.Warn thy neighbor

Brother Vai is reminding us of both of these requirements that the Lord has given us.

Keep up both the good work and telling us your stories they are inspirational - they strengthen me.

• Big_Ben SLC, UT
    April 1, 2011 8:36 a.m.

This article was awesome. Like fresno said, this was probably my favorite. It reminded me of my own mission homecoming. I remember sitting there and talking with the lady next to me. She was interested in what I had been doing.

As we got closer to Salt Lake, I had that emotion come over me. I really didn't want to leave my mission, I loved those people and didn't want to come home. At the same time, I was really excited to see my family. Its a feeling that can't be described. Only those who have felt it know what Im talking about.

Thanks Vai, and please keep sharing your stories.

• GAmom Athens, GA
    April 1, 2011 7:51 a.m.

Thanks for the great article! I often feel the same way when I fly into Salt Lake a couple times a year. I always hope to see a missionary coming home and it always makes me cry. I also love crossing paths with missionaries coming and going, they are always excited whichever direction they are going and it is a blessing to spend a few minutes talking with them and feeling the spirit they have with them. What have been my favorite experiences though have been flying out of Atlanta and talking with soon to be missionaries going to the MTC. Because of my work in CES, I know the names of most of the youth in the Atl area. It is so fun to recognize a young man (or woman's) name and be able to say "oh you are in the ___ stake and you are so and so's son." The huge smile I get is wonderful!

• SJ Bobkins Gilbert, AZ
    April 1, 2011 7:33 a.m.

Does your mother know she gave birth to one of the very best writers of inspirational stories, living upon this earth?

• Just Thinking II Roseville, CA
    April 1, 2011 4:56 a.m.

what l like about VaiĀ“s stories is they are him. that is his nature. l loved him as a sports figure. but l love him more as a man of God and his influance on young men. this story is a prime example of that. the young man was scared to death. but did as he was told and he will never forget the experience. l remeber going out with my dad and watching him take a pack of cigarettes from a non-member. l thought for sure the man was going to kill us. but l watched the skill of my father as a missionary and the Holy Ghost. l later used those same skills on my mission. a man was taught the gospel, was baptized became a bishop, a stake president, and is now a sealer in the temple. all because of an experience l had as a 12 year old boy. my dad was never anything in the church but a humble followerer of Christ. but out of small things great things happen. thank you again Vai.

• lovelbird Lovell, WY
    April 1, 2011 1:46 a.m.

Great article! Thanks Vai for your great viewpoint!

• RaininTime Orem, UT
    April 1, 2011 12:21 a.m.

Love it Vai. I love sharing the gospel. And I love the stories about those who share it as well. Knowing one's duty to God is loving God.
    Blogging is awesome and even more awesome when its about such inspiring stories!

• Iggle Salt Lake City, UT
    March 31, 2011 11:24 p.m.

If Allison is at medical school in Hershey, then she definitely knows some Mormons.

• rj Moss, Norway
    March 31, 2011 10:56 p.m.

This was a joy to read. Reminds me of the time I was sitting on the train on my way to work one morning. I pulled out my Book of Mormon and began reading. I noticed the glance I got from the man sitting across from me. He studied me for about five seconds, and without a word reached into his bag, pulled out his Bible and started reading.

I'd like to think I paved the way for a little spirituality that day:)

• utahprincipal Sandy, UT
    March 31, 2011 9:36 p.m.

Great story! It takes about four positive encounters for an average "contact" to be able to accept an invitation to learn more. Most often we're just an encounter, but a necessary part of this process. I wish I had more courage to encounter people.

• BYUalum South Jordan, UT
    March 31, 2011 8:42 p.m.

Thank you Vai for sharing. This article was especially moving. I hope you see Scott again in a few years as a RM on a flight! You gave him a sweet taste of missionary work he'll long remember!

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    March 31, 2011 8:36 p.m.

WA_Alum&Dad | 7:33 p.m. Marysville, WA

"Judge not that ye be not judged."

Was that directed at me... or you? Sorry you think I missed the point. I read the blog, and got the point. Can you further enlighten me?
    ===

UtahMD | 7:55 p.m.
    Salt Lake City, UT

I'm sorry, I guess we differ on the definition of duty. Personally, I do not see it as my "duty" to share the gospel of the Lord. Not only does it cheer me, but I am grateful for my personal growth.

===

Y Grad / Y Dad | 8:08 p.m.
    Richland, WA

I too, appreciate your sports opinions, and appreciate your response...

.......

Personally, I have many opportunities to share the gospel. I choose not to stand every first Sunday and share them, because they are far to special to me.

Please, no one else respond to me, that I think what brother Vai is doing is meant to be diminished.

I just hope that someday he understands what my father taught me. Sharing the gospel is a very humbling experience that is accomplished through the spirt. It is not something that "I" personally do.

Sorry if that offends.

• NHCougar Somersworth, NH
    March 31, 2011 8:33 p.m.

Great article and just in time for General Conference, I loved it! After I finished reading it I read it to my wife and she loved it as well. What a great reminder to look for missionary opportunities. And more importantly, involve others in the joy of sharing the gospel. A few years ago I had the wonderful opportunity to teach with wife and the full-time missionaries a coworker the gospel. What an amazing blessing it was to witness my wife teach and testify of eternal truths. Definitely an experience I'll never forget.

• DD JayMario American Fork, UT
    March 31, 2011 8:25 p.m.

Vai, I can't tell you how much I appreciate your stories and ideas. It makes my day every time. Can't help but smile.

• UteMiguel Go Utes, CA
    March 31, 2011 8:14 p.m.

I enjoy Vai's columns, this one was no exception. Veritas, I don't think you thought very carefully about your comment. Do you also wish Nephi hadn't recorded his experiences for others to read? It is appropriate for people to talk about their efforts at spreading the gospel. It encourages others.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    March 31, 2011 8:08 p.m.

@ Veritas Aequitas,

Appreciate your point of view, understand a difference of opinion, but I do beg to differ.

I DO know people who come off as blow-hards, I just don't get that feel from Vai. There is a balance between letting your light so shine and tooting your horn. I think Vai is on the right side of the balance, you don't. Life goes on.

I do, however, agree with a lot of your sports opinions.

Vai, thanks again. I fly a lot, too, and while by profession, I am not shy, privately I am content in my own little world (usually reading the DN sports on-line). Sharing the Gospel IS a duty, when I'm not doing it. It's when I do that it becomes a joy.

• UtahMD Salt Lake City, UT
    March 31, 2011 7:55 p.m.

I love the way you included this little boy in the conversation. What a touching story.

@ Veritas Aequitas: I have to admit that I find it a bit odd that you would take issue with this story. I hope that during General Conference this weekend you don't take offense or get upset with the brethren as they recount spiritual experiences of which they've been a part. Referring to missionary work as a "duty" in no way implies that it's a negative thing. It's not only a duty, but it's a privilege, a blessing, and a tremendous act of love. Vai knows that. But it's also a duty. Cheer up, my friend.

• WA_Alum&Dad Marysville, WA
    March 31, 2011 7:33 p.m.

Great article. Teared me up, thinking about my own mission, and my own missionary children.

@Veritas Aequitas, sorry you missed the whole point. Judge not that ye be not judged. Maybe someday you will understand Vai's perspective.

• BYU Red Squad Lafayette, Or
    March 31, 2011 6:46 p.m.

What a wonderful missionary experience for Scott

• jean22 Bountiful, UT
    March 31, 2011 5:53 p.m.

I loved this!

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    March 31, 2011 5:30 p.m.

Personally, I love Vai's colum.

I have been getting a little tired of the name dropping, and personal stories of what a great missionary Brother Vai is.

"Perhaps in a more favorable setting, they'll reconsider. We did our duty."

If sharing the gospel is a duty, then count me out. It is a blessing to share our love of the lord, and our example.

I do not have a blog, but I do know of the good I do through example. I do not feel the need to tell these stories, let alone blog them, because I know of the good I do.

The one thing I wish for Brother Vai, is the spiritual growth that comes from being a witness of the Lord in his own closet, and not feel the need to tell everyone.

There is a peace that comes with being a witness before the Lord, and him only.

Keep it up Vai, but one day you will hopefully feel the joy of the loving the Lord, and sharing it, and not need to blog it.

Then, you will understnad the worth of a soul...

But... Keep blogging, some people need to know your strengths.

• fresnogirl Fresno, CA
    March 31, 2011 5:23 p.m.

Loved it! My favorite one so far. Thanks Vai.