Sports

Utah Jazz injuries force team to rely on 'emergency list'

Comments

• ed Los Olivos, CA
    April 1, 2011 8:07 p.m.

Kakashi-
    Here are some more from the way-back machine:
    KC Jones, Bill Sharman, Tom Heinsohn, Billy Cunningham, Larry Costello: All star players who won championships as coaches.

• ed Los Olivos, CA
    April 1, 2011 1:08 p.m.

RE:Redcliffs

This would be really frustrating for the zebras. They would wear out their whistles calling "rookie" fouls. And they would not know who to point at after every whistle, since there would be so many offenders; IE rookies.

• redcliffs Ivins, Utah
    April 1, 2011 7:39 a.m.

We could see a team next year with 3 players with 1 year of experience in Hayward, Favors and Evans. Now add 2 more rookies that will be pretty high draft picks, but in what is considered a weak draft by many. We have also seen historically many very high college draft pick never really become big time players in the NBA. Now also we possibly add Tomic (that I know very little about)and you have 1/2 the team made up of developing players with very little NBA experience. I can see now Kobe's eyes just light up when playing a roster like that!!

• redcliffs Ivins, Utah
    April 1, 2011 7:25 a.m.

I'm hoping this ship gets turned around quickly, but I'm afraid this team is barely on life support right now and I think making the playoffs next year will be a stretch. As bad as the Jazz have played, we would still be able to make the playoffs in the East, but the West has many more good teams that the Jazz would have to leap frog next year. The Jazz right now are much worse than their record reflects. Remember, early in the season the Jazz had one of the best records in the NBA but if you go back even before the all star break the Jazz are a real bottom feeder right now. We need big changes, and I don't know it that can all happen over 1 off season. I'm hopeful, but also realistic. Go Jazz!!

• Bugoff Houston, TX
    March 31, 2011 5:16 p.m.

@CJ Answers to your questions

KOC signed Elson when it looked like Fes was gone. Then Fes came back. Hence 1 to many Cs. Sloan controlled the SG postion and did not want a shooting SG. The Jazz have been weak in the SG for decades. The only time they were good was with Hornecek to open the inside. It is a Sloan bias.

Price was a Sloan Pet. He has a few fans who love him. I doubt if KOC is one of them.

Greg did not like the way Boozer treated the organization over the years. No one liked the injuries and the "Im a starter attitude".

KOC traded DWill because that was the best deal he could get quietly before the trade deadline. If he waits for the new CBA, there is a soap opera and trading a Max contract is harder with a hard salary cap.

There are 96 minutes of C/PF. Rotating AJ/Favors/Millsap thru those minutes makes great sense. It makes a lot more sense than playing someone like Elson or Fes for 15 minutes.

Millsap may also be able to play some SF part of the time.

• Bugoff Houston, TX
    March 31, 2011 5:03 p.m.

It is in the Jazz best interest to lose as much as possible. They might stay ahead of PHO and jump IND in the draft.

Yes everyone is frustrated but lossing may make a difference in the draft.

Get off of Corbin and KOC until next year.

Sloan had VETO power over all trades and player selections. I am sure Corbin does not.

So far the only decision that is mostly KOC (with input from Greg) is the trading of DWill for Harris, Favors and picks. Harris is okay or will be next year. Favors is going to be ideal at PF for the Jazz (a key position). AJ has started playing well under Corbin (did not under Sloan).

The Jazz have Favors and AJ to build around. Millsap and Harris are okay.

Let KOC get a shooting SG (something Sloan would never permit) before you rag on him. Let him upgrade the PG if necessary.

Corbin is losing games right now. That is smart and what needs to happen. It is in the best interest of the Jazz to draft before PHO and IND if possible.

Judge Corbin and KOC next year when it really is their show.

• CJ Miles Dallas, TX
    March 31, 2011 4:34 p.m.

I want Frank Layden back..........

• Jazz Cop San Francisco, CA
    March 31, 2011 7:54 a.m.

van gundy is a dream

• Kakashi Tokyo, Japan
    March 31, 2011 4:21 a.m.

@CJ Miles

just to add...Larry Bird and Rudy Tomjanovich were all-stars who became coaches with winning records...Doc Rivers is a one Time All-Star when he played in the NBA...

• Kakashi Tokyo, Japan
    March 31, 2011 2:06 a.m.

@CJ Miles

i can name two more...Larry Bird and Rudy Tomjanovich....

• Kakashi Tokyo, Japan
    March 31, 2011 1:22 a.m.

@CJ Miles

Dare me to name one more...:)

this is fun...

• Kakashi Tokyo, Japan
    March 31, 2011 1:00 a.m.

@CJ Miles....

i forgot one NBA Superstar from the Magic Johnson Era...its Magic Johnson's rival himself...Larry Bird...

want me to give you his standings as a coach?

1st year: 58-24 - Lost Conference Finals
    2nd year: 33-17 - Lost Conference Finals
    3rd year: 56-26 - Lost NBA Finals

I hope the next time you post something...make sure to at least know what you are talking about or research...i had fun researching...i had some idle time so what the heck for the fun of proving you wrong...there...

• CJ Miles Dallas, TX
    March 31, 2011 12:47 a.m.

Kakashi.....that was good.

• Kakashi Tokyo, Japan
    March 31, 2011 12:16 a.m.

@amgolfer

yep...i think the real reason...its because if they waited for next year...Deron will have the upper hand on to which team he should be traded...if its New York...I dont think new york has assets left for the trade...so when New Jersey inquired...i think its the best possible deal we could get for him...and we might still have an outside shot of getting him back...if Deron is willing to come back...im sure there werent any bridges that were burnt...so i think he would be more than welcome...to lead us back into it...i know it wont happen...but its a possibility...im no expert...but for me...having an athletic big with loads of potential...and a former all-star pg....who still has juice on the tank and a lottery pick...is good...

• amgolfer San Francisco, CA
    March 30, 2011 9:54 p.m.

Hey B Russ--KOC didn't dump DWill b/c of a tendinosis (chronic) of the wrist. His wrist just needs to heal nothing more. DWill's wrist will be fine trust me but one must allow it heal. Yes rest. We received Favors which was good and Harris is decent--DWill he is not though. Deron's wrist looked good tonight. I miss how he can take over a game being banged up and all. If Harris could learn that I would love him.

@Sloan Hater--until now I have really fathomed the idea of JVG coming in and coaching but the more I ponder this idea I like it. Corbin can then assist him if JVG see's fit. Bring it.....

• ouisc Farmington, UT
    March 30, 2011 9:25 p.m.

I'll stick up for KOC a bit, here. We went for it all when we re-signed AK, gave nice contracts to Okur and Boozer to come here, and signed D-Will. These four decisions forced less desirable decisions, as we had to let some great talent go in order to keep our investment in these four. Last season, the Jazz had the 2nd highest payroll. These four underachieved.

I applaud Larry H. Miller and KOC for giving it everything they had. We're coming home from Vegas with nothing but the shirt on our backs. Not all of KOC's decisions have been golden, but KOC's success likely rates better than your average GM in the league.

• Utah Jazz fan Chris Clearfield, UT
    March 30, 2011 9:23 p.m.

What general manager gets rid of Maynor and Brewer for a couple of bucks?!?!?

And we're still over the salary cap!!!

• Kakashi Tokyo, Japan
    March 30, 2011 9:10 p.m.

@CJ Miles

here are some player coaches that might fit the bill...

Lenny Wilkens 9 time NBA All-star
    Jerry Sloan 2 time NBA All-star
    Larry Brown MVP first ever ABA All-star game
    Bill Russell name says it all...

• Kakashi Tokyo, Japan
    March 30, 2011 9:03 p.m.

@CJ Miles

im not sure if my other post was disapproved...but...here are some coaches..."All-Star" players who turned coach and did a decent job...Lenny Wilkens (9 time All-star)...Jerry Sloan (2 time All-star)...Larry Brown (MVP of the first ABA All-star Game)....oh and finally...the biggest NBA superstar who played then coached and won championships for both....Bill Russell...Did those names answer your Question?...oh..and please dont make any reason that they arent coaching anymore...my point here is that they coached...and they have a decent winning record...

• SloanHater Farmingtown, IL
    March 30, 2011 8:37 p.m.

It's interesting how many people, Sokol especially, don't understand the Jazz's organizational structure.

Jerry Sloan had the final say on all players draft or otherwise. KOC has always been asked, or told, to find players that fit in the Sloan System and were of a high enough character that they wouldn't tell the old man, Sloan, where to stuff is unrelenting negativity.

Considering that KOC has helped build the Jazz into a consistent playoff team while working within these constraints speaks of his talent.

Let's just hope this streak of losing gets Greg's attention and he shows us Jazz fans that he really cares by demoting Corbin back to an assistant while bringing in Jeff Van Gundy!

• TheHailstorm South Weber, UT
    March 30, 2011 8:11 p.m.

I would like the commentators here to put yourself in Corbin shoes for a minute. When he doesn't let Al Jefferson back in the game he was smart enough to show his hand and let AJ know that he is the coach and Jefferson can just save his wind for the hot soup. These guys are getting close to 40,000 to 100 large per game and the a 26 year old center is going to tell Corbin how he would do it ??? I don't think so.
    Quite a few have been getting on KOC but, again, athletes are a tricky business. Before you know it you end with Kirk Snyder from Nevada and he turns baaaadd fast.I think that the universal feelings among the NBA GM's is that you cannot second guess how a youngster or spoiled vet will react or say, you just do the best you can. Anyone remember Len Bias ? I think
    the D-will trade will pay off in the long run.
    To me the Jazz organization has just given themselves the best option for the most future options.
    I say just wait, and give them plenty of rope.

• CJ Miles Dallas, TX
    March 30, 2011 7:46 p.m.

Fire Jerry Jr.

There are teams in the playoffs this year with far less talent than Jerry Jr has to work with..........

• TRUEBLUEFAN Logan, Utah
    March 30, 2011 7:25 p.m.

I'm rooting against the Jazz. The more games we lose the better daft pick we get. Then get Jimmer, Derick Williams, Jaycee Carroll, and Mat Howard. Also, get rid of A.K., Bell, Fez, Elson, Miles, and Watson. And most of all get rid of Ty Corbin! Sign some one like Alvin Gentry, he almost took his team to the playoffs, and he still might, with less talent than the Jazz!

• shsmith Pullman, WA
    March 30, 2011 7:12 p.m.

I'm definitely bias as a Washington State man here, but Weaver is a baller. You'll like his defense and unselfishness, but he does/did have a slow release.

• CJ Miles Dallas, TX
    March 30, 2011 6:43 p.m.

Kakashi....You should start naming NBA stars (not role players) who tried coaching.....Magic, Isaiah Thomas, Jordan, should I keep going?

What gives you any indication that Malone would be a good coach? Been out of the game for 10 years and could not relate to today's players as the style of the NBA is different. He comes from the Jordan, Thoms, Magic era and, well, those players from that era haven't been great coaches. Role players from the era have done OK but not the stars.

Name one coach in the NBA who was a star when he played?

• mosbyjim Vernal, UT
    March 30, 2011 6:37 p.m.

I would come up with an injury to if I had to play for the Jazz.

• B Russ Ephraim, UT
    March 30, 2011 6:13 p.m.

@ C J Miles
    I think KOC pulled the trigger on D Will because he knew his wrist injury had become cronic. I think he felt that the offer for D Will on the table from the Nets was as good as any he would get in the future. Favors is the real deal. Harris is a good backup at the worst. Now it's up to KOC to complete the deal and get the most from the two first round picks, whether it's through his selections or if used as pieces to a trade.

• Kakashi Tokyo, Japan
    March 30, 2011 6:13 p.m.

@CJ Miles

again you humor me with your statement of "Old Players dont make good coaches"...Should i remind you that one of the best coaches today...is an Old Player...Phil Jackson...he even won a championship with the Knicks as a Player...How about Nate Mcmillan...who coached Portland to the playoffs even with half a team...Jerry Sloan a hall of Fame coach was a player...do you want me to continue?...

• Waylon77 Logan, UT
    March 30, 2011 5:35 p.m.

I think the Jazz should just give in and hire Karl Malone as the new head coach, and bring Antoine Carr in to be an assistant. Their record probably wouldn't improve much, but the post game, coaches interviews and team drama would be the most entertaining that Utah has ever seen. Besides, with Hornacek already coaching we could all start telling the Horney Big Dog joke again (its been years since I've got a laugh out of that one).

I don't know about the rest of Jazz nation, but it would give me a reason to start watching Jazz games again.

• CJ Miles Dallas, TX
    March 30, 2011 4:56 p.m.

Sokol........ The Jazz have good players on this team. Do they lack a great outside threat? Yes... Do they need a good defensive center? Yes, but name current teams that have that on the team now!!

I think where KOC has failed is the following:

He keeps stock-piling 4's. And can't find a 2. I mean really, how many power forwards does one team need when it has holes in other places? There is no need for Favors, Millsap and AJ on the same team. Makes no sense.

Why does he insist on keeping Price around this long? Why did he let Matthews go when he could have traded AK away or not given Memo such a large contract in order to keep him?

Did he even try to keep Boozer?

Why did he trade his best player, DWill, without even waiting til the collective bargaining agreement was a done deal? Could have kept him til next year and shopped him to all the teams instead of one........

• forgetyourself Layton, UT
    March 30, 2011 3:41 p.m.

KOC has brought us some of the best second rounders. I think his trading skills are lacking as of late but I have faith that the Jazz can turn it around. I know that right now the Jazz are not so hot but we are a young team and a lot of the Power in the West is old. In a few years we will be on top again.

• Sokol Las Vegas, NM
    March 30, 2011 3:16 p.m.

Does KOC's success really send a tingle up your spine or other parts? Come on you really have to be blind to not see the miserable outcomes of the KOC-Greg Miller brain trust....KOC has failed the fans, failed in drafting, failed in keeping stars...Do we need to name names? Of course not...I pity those that defend the man who saw the greatest coach leave and a man, who would have been perfect for the job in his side kick...

• Richie Saint George, UT
    March 30, 2011 3:16 p.m.

Greg now its your turn to dump some people including KOC, Corbin, Laydon, Bell and Fesinko.

• Captain L Provo, UT
    March 30, 2011 3:02 p.m.

CJMiles: Sounds like your really frustrated with CJ, your usually not down on him for this long. I have missed the last few games and haven't been able to see how bad it has been.
    I'm just going to look forward to the future and hope the jazz get a few good players in the draft. Vesely, PJones, TJones, Knight, Jonas, Walker, any two of those would be OK.
    I hope Evans gets alot of PT at the 3 and I hope Hayward learns to be assertive on offense.

• mulrich Provo, UT
    March 30, 2011 2:46 p.m.

Sokol
    Who would you consider a better GM? I'm not saying O'Connor is amazing but very few GM's are (Buford, Presti, Walsh). Fact is, most NBA draft picks do not make it in the league. The majority of players never even earn a second contract. O'Connor has done a reasonable job in the draft (Milsap, Miles (not great but an NBA player), Mathews (undrafted), Williams (Mo and Deron), Brewer, Maynor, etc) especially considering the Jazz rarely get picks in the top 15. Has he drafted busts? Of course, but every GM in the league has. The Jazz system is also hard for a lot of players to learn making it harder to find talent that sticks.

Should the Jazz replace O'Connor? Maybe. Sometimes shaking things up can help, other times it can really hurt.

O'Connor's future is completely dependent on this seasons acquisitions. Corbin, Favors, Hayward, Harris, Jefferson, and the draft picks are all solid pieces to build a franchise on. If players don't pan out, then O'Connor's time in Utah is probably over. I for one think they will and the Jazz will continue winning again.

• Jazz-Nation Lehi, UT
    March 30, 2011 2:28 p.m.

I like Weaver, he is a better player than Raja Bell any day of the week. Sounds like some of these Jazz players need to put their purses down and start taking their Midol.

• Ak Fan Hamburg, GE
    March 30, 2011 1:40 p.m.

sokol you are just plain miserable person. All your posts full of venom and negativity. Did you ever say anything good about Jazz....

• Sokol Las Vegas, NM
    March 30, 2011 1:40 p.m.

I think Fes will...But Malone nor Stockton would allow these 2nd ..Raters to dog it and toss the season away.Please KOC's record is sufficient to show the guy is a failure...Was he a salesman for the Millers or something? What gives? Two guys that should have been cut from the organization a long time ago continue to drag it down, KOC and Kirilenko.

• Dave S Holladay, UT
    March 30, 2011 1:32 p.m.

Has anyone ever thought about evaluating the Jazz medical staff? Just a thought here but it seems like the players that we have that are injured take an awful long time to recover from what sound like relatively minor injuries.

• CJ Miles Dallas, TX
    March 30, 2011 1:26 p.m.

MK........Funny stuff. Now I know the reason AJ doesn't have energy to play defense. Thanks for enlightening me.

Old players don't make good coaches. I don't understand why everyone loves Hornacek as a coach. Give me some examples of how he has improved the team? Or improved individual players with their shot? AK is a bad example. He is all over the place.

• Doug10 Roosevelt, UT
    March 30, 2011 1:05 p.m.

sokol lives in the past and is now asking for players of yester year to bail the Jazz out, but one of those players (Hornacek) has been enough to slay the entire offensive output. Jazz need coaching not washed up players who think they can coach.

Will Fes make it to the hall of shame inhabited by Koufos, Almond and others?

• mkSdd3 Ogden, UT
    March 30, 2011 1:02 p.m.

Hey CJ

I don't think that Big Al will take 25 shots, I just don't think he can do all that work. The way I see it Big Al does, on average, 20 head fakes and 25 jab steps per shot he takes. So to take 25 shots that would translate to 500 head fakes and 625 jab steps in a single game. Way too much work especially now the Jazz are out of the playoffs.

• mkSdd3 Ogden, UT
    March 30, 2011 12:56 p.m.

I am tired of all the games missed due to injury. I would love to see the day that players got paid only when they played. Guaranteed money is just wrong.

How ever if my boss would pay me even though I didn't show up, I am quite sure I would take that deal.

• CJ Miles Dallas, TX
    March 30, 2011 12:53 p.m.

Looks like CJ will be playing 40 minutes on Friday and jacking up 25 shots and only make 10 of them.....
    Big AL will get off 25 shots and make 8 of them.

Lakers by 20

• Sokol Las Vegas, NM
    March 30, 2011 12:45 p.m.

Ha ha ha...what Koolaid are you drinking...Do the names Kostas Koufus, Morris Almond,etc..mean anything to you? I would say we have the worst GM in basketball since Isiah Thomas...or Michael Jordan...This guy should be gone..replaced by either John Stockton or Karl Malone as GM. The new coach should be Jeff Van Gundy.

• Chuck Schell Holladay, UT
    March 30, 2011 12:38 p.m.

I've always found it amazing how many guys get "hurt" on losing teams and need to sit out, while the winners have no such problems and have guys pushing to get playing time.

Frankly, I think it's a scam. Guys don't want to play with minor bruises if the games don't mean anything!

• SloanHater Farmingtown, IL
    March 30, 2011 12:30 p.m.

KOC is a great GM. The Jazz need to search their 'emergency list' for Corbin's replacement.

• Aggie84 Idaho Falls, ID
    March 30, 2011 12:29 p.m.

Go get JC Carrol.

• We the People Sandy, UT
    March 30, 2011 12:29 p.m.

Blow up this team.

• Sokol Las Vegas, NM
    March 30, 2011 12:21 p.m.

How can we get KOC out?

• slgs5aggie Cedar City, UT
    March 30, 2011 12:03 p.m.

OH, go ahead, and just add the Jimmer!