U.S. & World

Zany musical 'The Book of Mormon' will convert you

Comments

• John Pack Lambert of Michigan Ypsilanti, MI
    March 29, 2011 12:24 p.m.

Contrary to some claims the Deseret News is not endorsing this musical with this article. That is a shallow reading of the article. The point is to show what type of coverage is occuring, not to advocate a certain action.

If this production had used Catholic priests instead of Mormon missionaries as the central figures in its attack, I would actually be more vocal in attacking it. I would be just as disguested and revolted by the evil of the production, but it is always better grou8nd to stand on when you defend a third party.

As have many other defenders of the truth I will add my voice to the fact that there is no middle ground. Either Joseph Smith had the gold plates and translated them, or he was a liar and a charlatan. The notion of the Book of Mormon being "beneficial fiction" does not work. It is either true, or the work of liars. I affirm that it is true, but if you reject its truth, you can not accept it as other than deceptive fiction.

• John Pack Lambert of Michigan Ypsilanti, MI
    March 29, 2011 12:19 p.m.

There is nothing in the Book of Mormon that forces it to have taken place in the United States. Joseph Smith was fully open to the possibility that ruins in Central America related to the Book of Mormon.

It is clear that some people have substituted their own interpretations for the truth. The truth is that the Church has no position on where the Book of Mormon took place, and has in all public statements on the matter said explicitly that the location is not revealed nor a matter of doctrine.

Thus to claim that the Book of Mormon requires a specific location is to set oneself up at odds with the teachings of the Church.

Some people mistakenly see this as only a threat on the left. However President Kimball warned of those who trust in missiles instead of the Kingdom of God. Patriotism can, if taken to extremes, become a "false god we worship". So too does a particular interpretation of scripture when we use it as a curmudgeon to beat those who have taken seriously the Lord's admonition to seek knowledge by study and faith.

• mpschmitt Boston, MA
    March 29, 2011 10:02 a.m.

1 Nephi 8:33-34
    And great was the multitude that did enter into that strange building. And after they did enter into that building they did point the finger of scorn at me and those that were partaking of the fruit also; but we heeded them not. These are the words of my father: For as many as heeded them, had fallen away.

• mpschmitt Boston, MA
    March 29, 2011 10:00 a.m.

1 Nephi 8:33-34

• BoomerJeff Saint George, UT
    March 29, 2011 9:05 a.m.

Wow, just Wow! First, the Desnews implies its ok to ignore the laws of the land (i.e. illegal immigration). Then they have articles saying the Book of Mormon didn't take place in the United States (per Micheal Ash's article), even though Joseph Smith, the D&C, and the very words in the Book itself point to the USA. Now it's OK to see an r-rated play. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, do articles on the Word of Wisdom, Tithing, and the law of Chastity!!!!

• On the other hand Spanish Fork, UT
    March 28, 2011 2:40 p.m.

@A Man's Perspective, it wouldn't be worth the trouble, and it certainly wouldn't be in good taste.

• A Man's Perspective Salt Lake City, UT
    March 27, 2011 12:08 a.m.

Personally, I wonder when somebody will do a "zany" production (movie, etc.) about the ex-Mormons and/or Mormon critics out there. I mean, some of them have an unhealthy, (at times cult-like) obsession of all things Mormon.

I can think of lots of funny things to put in it. We can simply call the movie "Bitter".

• TomB1382 Dallas, TX
    March 26, 2011 9:51 p.m.

I have problems with this 'Shock' concept. Then again, I have problems with man's inhumanity to man but I know it works to contrast our Spiritual Values. I pray that all things can be used for the Spiritual Growth of all who seek it. I'm not sure I'm humanly capable of lending the needed sympathetic ear. I will offer to hold your cloak while you stone them. Maybe a Damascus Road experience is coming for some.

• Admiring Gentile Salt Lake City, UT
    March 26, 2011 9:13 p.m.

I'm not a Mormon nor have I ever felt drawn to be one. But I love living in Utah because of the extraordinary civility of so many people here. This, I know, is due to Mormon values. The latest example is the Church's response to this musical: calm and unperturbed.

Sound criticism and/or parody of any institution is, to me, always welcome. But when it's loaded with curse words and toilet humor, I begin to wonder if the "critic" really has any point beyond shock value.

Shock value has a very short shelf life: you can only go so far with it before it wears thin. But sincere spiritual values can expand infinitely. The Church's values will outlast Parker's and Stone's because there are real nutrients in the former--things you can grow on. But there's no real nourishment in the latter, only some catchy "entertainment."

• bgl Santa Monica, CA
    March 26, 2011 7:59 p.m.

The sooner the touring production of this is up and running in Salt Lake, the better. Although it may be awhile. This sounds like it might run longer than A Chorus Line!

• Mayfair City, Ut
    March 25, 2011 4:17 p.m.

SO MUCH to comment on, but I will limit it to this.

From article:" They've heard jokes about raping babies and songs with unprintable lyrics. A running joke has a man complain about maggots in his scrotum.

Silly? Yes. Smart? Yes, actually. If there's such a thing as an intelligent sophomoric musical that the whole family can enjoy then writers Robert Lopez, Trey Parker and Matt Stone have successfully stalked it and put it in a headlock."

"Smart? Yes....that the whole family can enjoy"

Apparently, the writer of this article is seeking to be as completely ridiculous with their shock factor as the writers of the musical.

Because as we all know, there is nothing more family-friendly, or 'smart' and 'intelligent' than raping babies.

• tanderson83 Salt Lake City, UT
    March 25, 2011 2:19 p.m.

I saw it two weeks ago. It was brilliant. Two pretty offensive songs, but otherwise it was amazing. As an active Mormon/Returned Missionary i can attest that it got missionary attitudes spot on. Highly recommended.

• Pagan Salt Lake City, UT
    March 25, 2011 9:00 a.m.

I admit, I have not seen this.

But I want too.

• JoeBlow Miami Area, Fl
    March 25, 2011 8:46 a.m.

Quite the nice review.

Not exactly what the typical DN viewer was hoping for.

Let the spinning begin.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    March 25, 2011 8:10 a.m.

Nothing like an irreverent 'poke in the eye' as a missionary tool.

I'm sure the online missionaries have a plan to capitalize and leverage the 'bump' in interest to the LDS faith because of this production.

• bgl Santa Monica, CA
    March 25, 2011 7:14 a.m.

Ben Brantley in the New York Times gave this musical one of the best reviews I've seen out of the Times in the last twenty years. I can't wait to see this. Some may not like it, but The Book of Mormon has legs!!!!