Sports

BYU basketball: Cougars, Gators want more than Sweet 16

Comments

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    March 22, 2011 8:27 a.m.

anything can happen at the this point. If the Y comes out and stays hot - like they did against a very good Gonzaga team then anything is possible. If Florida is a bit flat or gets into some foul trouble anything can happen. The Y - without Davies - must live and die by the outside shot which is tough to do consistently but it is what it is. Good luck BYU. Good luck Jimmer.

• In My Humble Opinion South Jordan, UT
    March 21, 2011 10:49 p.m.

Dyer Gary | 7:16 a.m. March 21, 2011
    Bountiful, UT
    emery is a sub star player at best as are the rest of the team except of course the jimmer.
    ------------

Exactly. Just like Hollywood!

Superstars, like Angelina Jolie

Stars, like Cameron Diaz

And Sub Stars, like Megan Fox.

Great analogy!

• Cougar Claws Lindon, UT
    March 21, 2011 10:17 p.m.

Re: Otis Spurlock

That being said I realize your comment was in good fun, so I didn't mean to be rude or be a poor sport. I just get a little tired of the slow white guy jokes. Despite popular opinion they've been old for a very, VERY long time.

Go Cougs!

P.S. Jimmer, Jackson, and Collinsworth are good athletes, I wasn't joking about that.

• CougarOnTheProwl Murray, UT
    March 21, 2011 8:36 p.m.

Its gonna be a great matchup, last years game was a double overtime thriller, very exciting but nerve racking as well. I hope BYU can shoot similiar to or as well as they did on saturday. Looking forward to the rematch and hopefully another Cougars victory. Go Cougars!

• ha_Y_nCoug Mililani, HI
    March 21, 2011 5:44 p.m.

hedgehog | 1:57 p.m. March 21, 2011
    I would like Rose coming over the Utes with as much tournement expierence as possible. So yes, I will be pulling for Rose.

Wow I can't believe hedgehog is actually cheering for BYU to win this game in a weird sort of way... Nicest comment I've ever read from hedgehog.

• Carnak Salt Lake City, UT
    March 21, 2011 5:33 p.m.

To UU32: Well said. The construction business needs to pick up so the Duckhunter has less time to post. Go Cougs.

• crowntown1 Corona, CA
    March 21, 2011 5:18 p.m.

Beating Wofford and Gonzaga is one thing, But we will truly see if they belong if they can beat the gators.

• redcliffs Ivins, Utah
    March 21, 2011 5:12 p.m.

If I had my choice I would have liked to see the Cougars have a chance to avenge their loss to UCLA in the upcoming game. It's fun to win and advance, and even better to do so against a team that beat you. But, Florida it is so good luck to the Cougars. Like everyone else said before, if BYU shoots well they can beat anyone in this tournament.

• UU32 Bountiful, UT
    March 21, 2011 4:56 p.m.

Duckhunter -- why focus on the few bad commenters and not just enjoy your team? Most rationale Ute/Aggie/T-bird/Wildcat fans are behind your beloved Cougs and are genuinely hoping they stick it to Florida on Thursday and Butler/Wisc. on Saturady -- enjoy the run and stop giving such a stage to the detractors.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    March 21, 2011 3:12 p.m.

@dyer gary

I'm not sure I understand what you are insinuating, maybe you can help me? Are those the same "sub stars" that beat your utes down every time they play them for several years running? Are those the same "sub stars" that are 32-4 on the season? Are those the same "sub stars" that are ranked in the top 10? Are those the same "sub stars" that got a 3 seed to the ncaa tourney? Are those the same "sub stars" that just pounded Gonzaga and are now in the Sweet 16? Are those the same "sub stars" that utah was fall all over themselves to just get one of on their roster?

I really am having a hard time getting what you mean unless you are just trolling it up out of bitterness? Oh wait...I think it is all clear to me now. I do get what you mean.

• Cougar Claws Lindon, UT
    March 21, 2011 2:49 p.m.

Re: Otis Spurlock

Speak for yourself. . .

Jimmer is one quick white guy if I've ever seen one. Not to mention Jackson Emery and Kyle Collinsworth aren't too bad either.

Besides which they are great players when they are on with their shots.

Go Cougs! Beat the Gators on Thursday!

• Otis Spurlock Ogden, UT
    March 21, 2011 2:00 p.m.

From one slow white guy to another, I wish you well Jimmer!

• Sandpiper Air Salt Lake City, UT
    March 21, 2011 2:00 p.m.

Is it true that ESPN is trying to get a 5th year of eligibility for Jimmer?

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    March 21, 2011 1:57 p.m.

"This Ute fan has been completely Jimmered. Good luck to the Cougs and especially Coach Rose next weekend! We are pulling for you."

• fresnogirl Fresno, CA
    March 21, 2011 1:46 p.m.

I remember when Utah made its big run in the NCAA Tournament and how the entire state (regardless of school affiliation) got behind them. It's nice to see it happen again. That's one of the things that makes Utah a great place to live.

• UU32 Bountiful, UT
    March 21, 2011 1:21 p.m.

• DRay Roy, UT
    March 21, 2011 12:10 p.m.

Looking for consistency from the Cougars, to play as well against FL as they did against Zags last Sat. Win, or lose, I hope to see Cougs play with heart of a Lion, give everything they've got, expect to win and play like champions.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    March 21, 2011 11:55 a.m.

Classy MiP!

Really appreciate seeing so many Ute fans getting behind the Cougars and putting aside the rivalry. I for one would do the same thing for the Utes, Aggies, etc. in these tournaments and big name events. Seeing our teams get national recognition is great for our state.

It's the season that keeps on giving!

• jimhale Eugene, OR
    March 21, 2011 11:31 a.m.

I think I see a pattern here:

Play good defense.

Score.

Win.

Go white, go blue.

• JayDee West Jordan, UT
    March 21, 2011 11:14 a.m.

@MiP

I understand your point is to build a contrast between UCLA and BYU, but for the sake of accuracy, the Cougars did not lose to UCLA in Provo. They lost in the Wooden (yes, John Wooden) Classic. It was technically a neutral sitemuch like Energy Solutions Arena served as a "neutral" site for the Arizona game.

Go BYU! Beat the Gators! Again!

• Bugoff Houston, TX
    March 21, 2011 10:15 a.m.

When you look at the FL losses 2 things stand out.

1. They have unusually high TOs or they have a lot more TOs than the opponent.
    2. They shoot the 3 poorly. This second effect is weaker than the TO effect.

When you look at FL's quality wins 2 things stand out.

1. very poor shooting by opponents particularly in the first half.
    2. strong rebounding edge.

The game could easily hinge on the BYU defensive ability to TO FL and also disrupt the 3 point shooting. Disrupting the shooting may be difficult given the need to double in the post.

BYU will also need to hit 3s and spread the floor in spite of excellent defense by FL.

Depending on how the refs call the game BYU may need to drive and try to get fouls on the FL bigs.

Getting fouls on Parsons could be very helpful.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    March 21, 2011 8:47 a.m.

Once you get to the Sweet 16, every team is good and playing well. I love the rematch with Florida. Last year's game was about as exciting as the get. Go Cougs!

• Cougar Eat Ute Cedar Hills, UT
    March 21, 2011 7:49 a.m.

Sorry typo. Parsons is 6'11".

• Cougar Eat Ute Cedar Hills, UT
    March 21, 2011 7:48 a.m.

I imagine they will put Chandler Parsons or Kenny Boynton on Fredette. Parsons is as speedy as they come for 6'0" guys and will give Fredette fits the way SDSU's Billy White did.

When Parsons is off the floor, Fredette should be able to go off on Boynton. If Noah, Jax, or Charles prove they can hit from three, we will see some offensive fireworks.

Frankly however I don't see how we can stop Parsons and Erving Walker from putting up alot of points.

The only way we win this game is the same way we won the Gonzaga game. We have to shoot lights out. The Gators can't afford to go long streches with Walker not on the floor; they also can not go to a true man defense with the 5'8" Walker.

Plain and simple if we're hitting, we win a shootout in the 80+ scoring range. If we're not hitting, we lose pretty badly.

Whatever the outcome, this has been an amazing season. One I certainly won't soon forget.

Go Cougars.

• Dyer Gary Bountiful, UT
    March 21, 2011 7:16 a.m.

• Utah'95 FPO, AE
    March 21, 2011 5:45 a.m.

AK Cougar,

You do know that Florida and Florida State are different schools, don't you?

• AK Cougar Palmer, AK
    March 21, 2011 12:15 a.m.

This will be billed as a rematch of last years game. Cougars have 3 or 4 days to prepare, which will be huge compared to Gonzaga. Of course, Coach Rose and Rice may not have to stay awake all night long planning and scheming together a game plan. This wll be good. I love to see the strategy the coach's put together. You can tell what it is the players play and how they go about doing scoring, either inside, drive and dish, layup or shoot the long one. Defense is always good, as Emery gets the most difficult defensive assignment of every team.

The Cougars beat FSU on PPG, Rebounds and Assists. FSU wins in FG%. Like MiP above, if the Cougars shoot well, they can beat anyone. If they don't, anyone can beat BYU. If FSU shoots poorly, BYU will win going away. That is the case of all teams left in this tournament. There are no bad teams left.

Go Cougars.

• MiP Iowa City, IA
    March 20, 2011 11:00 p.m.

I think BYU won three time son Saturday:
    1) Vs Gonzaga, of course
    2) By Florida beating UCLA (UCLA was playing better now than they did when they BYU when the cougs were at full strength in Provo)
    3) and by Wisconsin beating K State, the team that I thought would give BYU the worst match-up of this bracket.

I don't think Butler gave them any favors, though. I think BYU would have match-up just fine with Pitt as the Panthers have a tendency to give wide open looks from up top.

Should be interesting. I felt FLorida was seeded a tad too high considering who they lost to earlier this year and how they played in the SEC final. But they do have some decent players and will be looking for revenge.

It's simple. If BYU shoots like they did Saturday they can beat any team in the bracket. If not, look out.

Good luck, Jimmer and the Y. This Ute fan wil be pulling for you.

• Laser Iowa City, IA
    March 20, 2011 10:47 p.m.

Go Cougars! We Believe!!!