Sports

Randy Hollis: Utah blew it by not hiring Utah State's Morrill

Comments

• oldschool Farmington, UT
    March 25, 2011 3:14 p.m.

I would prefer a no-nonsense coach who gets the job done, even if he's not the best PR man. Look at Gordon Chiesa, Stew Morrill, Brad Stevens. Or call Karl Malone. Or hire Jeff Judkins. All would be fabulous. My first choice would be Brad Stevens, the coach of Butler. Here's another possibility. The tractor driver from Illinois, the guy who should have been on the NBA top 50 of all time for heart, drive and guts alone. I can't remember his name, but he would whip those kids into shape.

• Alpine Blue Alpine, UT
    March 23, 2011 1:03 p.m.

@ scott

Anything to the rumors that Bruce Pearl has been seen in SLC?

@ duckhunterr (impersonating the real "duckhunter" with only one "r")

It is so inappropriate and outright disengeneous for you as a Ute troll to impersonate a BYU fan.

• scott Alpine, UT
    March 22, 2011 5:14 p.m.

Rumors are Randy Bennett of Saint Mary's has met with Dr. Hill about the head coaching position at Utah.

• 1975 Aggie Lake Arrowhead, CA
    March 21, 2011 8:25 p.m.

Dyer Gary says: "Stewie would not be able to handle a pac 12 team.he loves
    to be a big fish in a small pond."

This is precisely what his critics said when USU moved from the Big West to the WAC. How did that turn out?

My opinion is that Stew can match X's and O's with any current Pac 10 coach, including mentor Mike Montgomery, the best coach in the conference. He would have the U competing for an upper division Pac 12 finish in his 2nd season.

Hopefully, he will stay in Logan, and we will never know.

• NewMexicoUte Albuquerque, NM
    March 21, 2011 8:13 p.m.

I beg to differ...

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    March 21, 2011 5:04 p.m.

Ah so now I have a fan club. LOL That means I am not just effective but I dominate your thoughts.

I love it!

• Duckhunterr Highland, UT
    March 21, 2011 3:38 p.m.

thats right ute "fans" you are inferior to me! I cant even enjoy my own teams success, I have to run down other teams to feel good about life.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    March 21, 2011 3:18 p.m.

"what you don't seem to understand is that feeder school for coaches."

Kinda like utah feeding them onto Florida? LOL

• Duckhunterr Highland, UT
    March 21, 2011 3:15 p.m.

Aren't I clever? I lumped Coach Rose in the same sentence as other coaches who have achieved sustained greatness. I feel like if I include myself and my team in the national conversation, it helps my dangerously low sense of self worth.

Please, don't be mean to me. My life revolves around the deseret news comment boards (and especially Ute articles). I feel like if I can make the ute "fans" feel bad about their team, I feel better about myself. I wish desperately that I was a Ute fan. I could wake up in the morning just like all of you and feel good abotu myself.

Instead, destiny made me a BYU fan. And with that comes the attributes of such. I make excuses and never own my mistakes. I complain about officials and claim "bigotry" if my team is wronged. I consider myself superior to others (even though they laugh at me).

Go BYU!

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    March 21, 2011 2:54 p.m.

"One thing for sure...whoever dr. chris hill wants he will get."

Bwaaahaaahaaahaaaa

You probably really believe that wedgie. LOL

I'm sure there are more than a couple of guys "dr. chris hill" wants that won't even give him the time of day. What you really mean is that he has a good chance at getting his choice of coaches from smaller schools or else recently fired guys from big schools. My guess is Coach K, Coach Rose, Coach Izzo, Coach Pitino, Coach Calipari, Coach Donovan, etc. wouldn't even bother sniffing that job and of course "dr. chris hill" wants every single one of them.

LOL

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    March 21, 2011 2:53 p.m.

mussingaround,

What you don't seem to understand is that Feeder school for coaches. When was the last time BYU wooed away a top coach?

I know o'l bronco tried with Rodreck but we know how that turned out.

• mussingaround Palo Alto, CA
    March 21, 2011 2:31 p.m.

Multiple sources are reporting that Dr. Hill has already extended an offer to the guy he really wants, hedgehog.

If hedgehog turns down the job, Skip Lowe, Dr. Hill's neighbor, is next on Dr. Hill's list.

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    March 21, 2011 1:21 p.m.

"@ hedgehog I'm not sure about Dave Rose. I think Chris Hill is waiting for Fisher get through at San Diego State."

Socalute,

You might be right. One thing for sure...whoever Dr. Chris Hill wants he will get.

• Al Bundy murray, ut
    March 21, 2011 11:59 a.m.

Duck

"They don't know anything about football either"

That is funny, comming from you.

• Duckhunterr Highland, UT
    March 21, 2011 11:41 a.m.

I am still sad that my beloved Cougars did not recieve an invite to the pac-10. Can you imagine how I feel? you can't! For years we toiled and strived to recieve an invite. And then the mighty Utes swooped in and got what we had worked so hard for. I mean yes, the Utes have achieved more recent national notoreity in football but we have jimmer! and we have trent plaisted coming hoem from his mission soon!

Its ok though, we will always have our firesides. We have never lost a fireside.

• SoCalUte Trabuco Canyon, CA
    March 21, 2011 10:51 a.m.

Hey Randy, Stew is NOT the coach the Utes want. While he has made the NCAA 5 times in the past 7 years, He has consistently gone One and Done at the big dance. That is Ybu standards, not Utah standards.

• Dyer Gary Bountiful, UT
    March 21, 2011 7:24 a.m.

3rdGenaggie you better stay up in cache valley stewie would not be able to handle a pac 12 team.he loves
    to be a big fish in a small pond.

• SeattleUhasabballteam? Seattle, Wa
    March 21, 2011 1:09 a.m.

4th losing season in 6 years. Can't even make the NIT and CBI. Losses to WCC teams. How many players will transfer this year?

Isn't the whole Stew Morrill thing irrelevant and a mute point?

• Sports Nutz Smithfield, UT
    March 20, 2011 9:51 p.m.

It's funny to read where some of you utah fans think that you can get a better coach than Stew! Just because you are going to the pac 12? Who in their right mind would come in and take over a program that has been run into the dirt by Boilin Boylen? You will be at the bottom looking up for years. At this point Hill should see if Steve Cleveland can come and save them....

• Jealous U Alpine, UT
    March 20, 2011 8:51 p.m.

hedgehog

"I think it's very classy of Dr. Hill to wait until after the NCAA tournement to announce the hiring of..."

Nice spin, but the real story is Dr. Hill isn't waiting for anything; he simply can't find anybody who wants to coach at the U.

• Tomahawk Red North Salt Lake, UT
    March 20, 2011 8:00 p.m.

Don't want Stew Morrill at the U, in 2004 or 2011. His success at USU can't directly translate to success at the U. I'm surprised Hollis sounds so pedestrian in his basketball knowledge. You don't think its possible (probable) Giac and Boylen would've had similar success at USU over the last seven years? They showed they couldnt get it done at the U. And I think its likely Morrill also would've failed here had we hired him in 2004.

Chris Hill won't even take a look at Morrill. And he shouldn't. Better coaches are willing to come here.

• onewhoknows Providence, UT
    March 20, 2011 4:40 p.m.

Wouldn't you think that Stew would be upset that Utah won't even put USU on the schedule? Yet if they came asking for his services he would suddenly forget being "big-timed" and jump ship to the team who was trying to "big-time" his school. Yeah, makes sense to me.

• matthews23 Richmond, UT
    March 20, 2011 3:21 p.m.

Stew has made it clear, every time there has been an opening at Utah or BYU, that he does not want to move. He is extremely happy where he is and content to stay and win at USU. But yet these "beat writers" just can't figure that out, they always assume Stew will just naturally move on to Utah when the opening arises. Fact is, it would be a huge step down for him, why would a coach move to a lesser program he routinely beats year after year? He wouldn't, so stop writing about it. Oh, and when talking about more tournament wins, it's usually a better argument if the margin of wins is greater than one.

• pocyUte Pocatello, ID
    March 20, 2011 3:02 p.m.

Dutchman, you hit it right on the head. Hollis makes it sound as if there is a tree of coaches, and all Utah had to do was go up to the Stew Morrill fruit and pick it to make him their coach.

Also, Why did Hollis chose to single out Utah, could he not have said BYU blew it for not hiring Stew Morrill instead of Roger Reid, Tony Ingle or Steve Cleveland? His premise is ridiculous.

This is not a bash on Morrill. I think he is a great coach. But I'd like to echo Dutchman, if Hollis knows so much about the willingness of Morrill to leave USU and come to Utah 7 years ago, please enlighten us. Otherwise a statement such as, "if Utah had been interested enough and, in hindsight, smart enough they probably could have lured Morrill away from the Aggies at the time, too," is completely baseless.

Hollis is obviously a cut above the rest, maybe the title should have been, "Utah blew it by hiring Chris Hill instead of Randy Hollis as AD," as he seems to know so much about intercollegiate athletics.

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    March 20, 2011 1:36 p.m.

I think it's very classy of Dr. Hill to wait until after the NCAA tournement to announce the hiring of Dave Rose.

• 3rdGenAggie Logan, UT
    March 20, 2011 12:31 p.m.

Wow, years of crappy teams have really drained Utah fans of knowledge about basketball. Stew has been successful everywhere he's gone. He's gotten offers from PAC-10 schools before and turned them down. He would be successful at a higher level, because he would be able to get higher level recruits. Fortunately, he's one of VERY VERY few people left in the world to whom loyalty actually means something.

• whitehairedaggie Ogden, UT
    March 20, 2011 12:25 p.m.

Jeff Jud???? Surely you must be kidding!!

• Dutchman Murray, UT
    March 20, 2011 12:23 p.m.

And Randy you know Stew was interested in the job and would have taken it seven years ago how? What evidence of that did you present in your article? None. The fact is Stew was not interested in being the coach to follow Majerus. He made that plenty clear if you had bothered to go back and read his comments. Now after seven years he appears interested because he can build a program without following the legend. Well too bad Stew, now the U is no longer interested in you and for good reason, you can beat weak teams but that is all.

• NeilT Clearfield, UT
    March 20, 2011 10:54 a.m.

Jeff Judkins should be considered for the U. Why a national search when we have so much talent right here?

• onyx1950 West Jordan, UT
    March 20, 2011 9:34 a.m.

Their many great coachs.m Stew is one of them. How about binging in Jeff Judkins, Tommy Conner or Hunsaker. They would all do a great Job. My vote (which doesn't count for much) Is for Jeff Judkins. However i do not want to see him leave the Green Pastures at BYU.

• Cosmo's Cousin Holladay, UT
    March 20, 2011 9:29 a.m.

Like Stew would've wanted that job. Not a chance!

• Silent Lurker Cottonwood Heights, UT
    March 20, 2011 9:07 a.m.

Go back to sleep Randy. The Utes will be just fine and without Stew.

• bballjunkie Cedar Hills, UT
    March 20, 2011 8:43 a.m.

Stew has done one thing that The last 2 Utah coaches never figured out, how to recruit Utah kids. A lot of the success Rick had at Utah was when Judkins was on staff and getting Utah kids to go to Utah. They have'nt had that in oh the last 7 years and look were that program is now.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    March 20, 2011 8:41 a.m.

@What's Up?

They don't know anything about football either. 6 years of mixed success has made them think they do. They don't.

• hayyouwho West Haven, UT
    March 20, 2011 8:33 a.m.

I think the Utes would have been much better had Morrill been the coach. Ute basketball has been tediously boring the past several years.

• Barkoffofapineapple Magna, UT
    March 20, 2011 8:10 a.m.

I respectfully disagree with the thesis of this article. Stew Morrill is no fit for the Utes or for SLC. #1.) In that same time frame this article mentions Coach Giac and Boylen combined have one more tournament win then Coach Morrill has; 2 to 1. #2.) Coach Boylen's graduation rate was easily as good as Stew's. #3.) Giac and Jim ran a very clean program in the aftermath of the shady things Majerus was doing, which if anybody understood, are really what started this program in decline. #4.) Coach Morrill hates the media spotlight and would crack under the pressure of local media types, such as that guy who writes for the Trib, who's name rhymes with "Jordan Fawnson."

So, if nice guys like Ray Giac and Jim Boylen can't handle the pressure of winning for a once elite (and will be again) program, a person like Stew Morrill certainly could not. Coach Morril is great fit for the Colorado State's and the Utah State's of the world, but by no means is he a "Utah Man Sir."

• Dyer Gary Bountiful, UT
    March 20, 2011 7:56 a.m.

whats up is the one that knows little about the other game.stop shooting from the hip.

• What's up? Salt Lake City, UT
    March 20, 2011 6:14 a.m.

Clearly Utah fans should just stay focused on football. It seems they know little about the other game.

• rememberer Riverton, UT
    March 19, 2011 9:50 p.m.

Thanks, Stew, for making basketball success a way of life at USU. Win, lose, or draw, I love the Aggies. Give Gary Andersen a few years and he will also build a consistent football winner. We will be patient with you if you will stick with us.

• Dyer Gary Bountiful, UT
    March 19, 2011 9:37 p.m.

i hope chris hill doesn't get mmerrill

• SlimJ Lehi, UT
    March 19, 2011 9:22 p.m.

And yet in those last seven years Utah has more tournament wins than Utah State

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    March 19, 2011 9:15 p.m.

When Stew left CSU for USU he said he could never compete as long as Utah and byu were in the conference. Stew doesn't want to compete. He wants to be the big fish in a small pond. He relies on too many JC players.
    He's fine at USU. The Pac12 will bring on bigger fish than Stew.

• SJ Bobkins Gilbert, AZ
    March 19, 2011 9:10 p.m.

"Big West and WAC powerhouse"

You don't see Big West and WAC used in the same sentence with "POWERHOUSE" very often. do you?

• Ticky Burden salt lake city, ut
    March 19, 2011 8:41 p.m.

Really ?? While I'm sure Stew is a fine coach and a good person, I see no indication he would have had any more success than Giacolletti or Boylen at Utah. USU qualifies for the NCAA tourney every year by getting 25 - 30 wins in a weak conference and against a sorry preseason schedule. Then like clockwork, they get eliminated in the 1st round. Watching the Aggies against K-State was painful. So much for "getting 'er done." Again, good coach , good guy, but he and his program are never going to be confused with Coach K at Duke, Roy Williams at NC or even Dave Rose at BYU.