Sports

Real Salt Lake shuts out Saprissa, takes 2-0 lead to Costa Rica

Comments

• myself Salt Lake City, UT
    March 19, 2011 1:00 p.m.

I can see how you can think that. If that was what the ref was doing I guess I don't understand why he waited until after the ball was in the back of the net to raise his flag. The player who was offside was the first player to touch the ball and he didn't call it until after the goal.

• georg Parowan, UT
    March 18, 2011 9:25 p.m.

Or ref waited correctly to see if the player in an off-side position became active in the play. I watched the play numerous times and the original cross resulted in a off-side infraction.

• myself Salt Lake City, UT
    March 18, 2011 12:49 p.m.

After watching the replay again it confirmed what I said earlier. The offside flag didn't come up until much later than the offside occured. Watch the replay georg you will see that the ref hesitated like he was going to call the original offside then ran further down the sideline and raised his flag right before the goal was scored. If he was calling the offside he would have raised his flag at the 18 where the offside occurred. Pretty sure the ref was calling something else which ended up making up for the missed offside call.

• georg Parowan, UT
    March 17, 2011 8:46 p.m.

iRSSfan
    I think you are wrong. Flag went up correctly on the original cross into the box for offsides. what happened after that was a dead play.

• iRSLfan Salt Lake City, UT
    March 16, 2011 10:00 p.m.

Borchers goal not being allowed a horrible call. The refs also made a phantom call against Saprissa by disallowing that goal. If you watched the replay of the disallowed saprissa goal there was a no call offside tho so it ended up being fair IMO.

• georg Parowan, UT
    March 16, 2011 9:54 p.m.

Did not understand why we did not see Paulo in Columbus or why we did not see him last night?
    Borchers goal being disallowed was a joke! I have seen the replay numerous times and no argument can be made to suggest it was a foul.
    A single away goal in two weeks in Costa Rica would be huge in this series.

• TDS Clearfield, UT
    March 16, 2011 3:40 p.m.

RSL has a "touch-pass" playing style more similar to european teams, and is one of the reasons they let Finley go - because it places a greater emphasis on the technical aspect of the game, rather than speed. Such teams don't just launch the ball down field every chance they get but methodically work towards goal.

Which on another note, I'm not sure why washed-up european players come to MLS, where there is more running and rougher play.

• Thlete Draper, UT
    March 16, 2011 10:42 a.m.

Very phantom foul called on Borchers' goal. No offsides, so must have been a foul on him somehow. Didn't like that there was a foul called against RSL on almost every corner kick, too.

In any case, GREAT showing by the team. They are really talented and so fun to watch - amazing how far they've come in a few years. GOOOOOOO REAL!

• Vince Clortho S_SPRINGS, UT
    March 16, 2011 8:56 a.m.

Either way Alvarez's first showing was poor...I feel bad for Nat but if the loss of his goal contributed to their away goal being dis-allowed then I can accept it...Still would have liked a third, maybe if Paulo was in instead of AA...

• Nussdorfer AC Salt Lake City, UT
    March 16, 2011 8:41 a.m.

Great stuff.

• three11stu Saratoga Springs, UT
    March 16, 2011 8:37 a.m.

Alvarez is not a striker in our system. Kries has said that he is playing a midfield role, which is why he was put in.

• axle Riverton, UT
    March 16, 2011 8:12 a.m.

Everyone MLS team in the country is suddenly talking about switching to a posession oriented game. It is because of the success that RSL has had that all the other teams want to be like us. It is just unfortunate that the media will never pay attention to a Salt Lake team. Like today, the big news on MLSnet is that Blaise Nkufo quit the Sounders, not that RSL won their first leg. Whatever.
    The game was good, I got a little nervouse by the let down in the first half. It was too bad that the ref called that first goal back. I would be feeling much better with a three goal lead. I felt that Kreis had a weird substitution plan also. Taking the best man off the field and then adding a fresh striker with only about 5 munites to play? I think it would have been better to insert Alvarez with about 15 to play and let Williams work with him for a few before leaving the game.

• Steve Jensen Herriman, UT
    March 16, 2011 7:28 a.m.

Great Win! Hopefully Real will bring home some CONCACAF Hardware!

• Penguin Inc. Salt Lake City, Utah
    March 16, 2011 6:02 a.m.

Nice job guys!!!

• RSL #1 Vancouver, WA
    March 16, 2011 12:03 a.m.

Superior win! Lagerway/Kreis are quietly and masterfully charting an exciting new world of US soccer. It is funny to hear the national focus on Arena, Donovon and Beckham when it really should be on the RSL brain trust and their mighty yet muted fighting Lions. Way to go! Beat Saprissa one more time!

• matt4226 Holladay, UT
    March 15, 2011 11:52 p.m.

What a great night of soccer. It was chilly, but not cold, and the atmosphere in the stadium was great! I would have liked to have taken a 3-0 lead to Costa Rica, but I think we can grind out a tie down there. I watched the replay on the CONCACAF website and there was no foul, at least on Borchers. The only thing I would have changed would have been to sub out Espindola earlier, seemed like he was worn out after about the 75th minute.

Time to switch our focus to the MLS for a few weeks. Go Real!