Sports

BYU basketball notebook: Cougs say SDSU loss behind them

Comments

• SportsFan Orem, UT
    March 15, 2011 11:50 p.m.

Utah's 1944 NCAA tourney championship was soooooo long ago, that the NCAA tourney was still playing second fiddle to the big boy tournament of the day, the NIT.

In fact, Utah turned down their NCAA invite to accept an invitation to the more prestigious NIT, where the Utes got smoked by Kentucky in the first round.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    March 15, 2011 10:25 p.m.

Hmmmm, so I finished reading everything I possibly could about the cougars, and I decided to actually go on the Utah site and find that NC game.

1998, runner-up, please forgive me. It was your CHAMPIONSHIP that is ancient history.

Much more relevant than a championship in 1984.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    March 15, 2011 10:04 p.m.

do you REALLY want another recounting of other less glorious but still impressive accomplishments? Nah, I didn't think so.

AND, you miss the point. I believe (because I really don't listen much to a retelling of Utah accomplishments) that Utah's participation in a basketball NC pre-dates 84. Pre-dates me. Pre-dates my father. Wasn't that like, World War II era?

• Johnson72 Salt Lake City, UT
    March 15, 2011 8:25 p.m.

Umm y dad, you all need to get over that 1984 thing.. what have they really done since?

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    March 15, 2011 3:05 p.m.

Was that NC game after or before 1984? Because we all KNOW that anything before 1985 is ancient history and doesn't count. Which is a real shame, because now is when it would be fun to say something like, "we've WON an NC game, something I'm sure Utah will never do."

• Johnson72 Salt Lake City, UT
    March 15, 2011 2:42 p.m.

In Hedgehog's defense.. At least Utah made it to NC game, something im sure byu will not do.

• CordonBleu Park City, UT
    March 15, 2011 12:42 p.m.

I suspect Utah will be a lock NOT to appear in anyone's bracket.

Except for hedgy's bracket, of course, where the Utes are already crayoned into the NC game where they'll lose to Kentucky, as usual.

Tragically, even in his fantasy, the Utes still can't beat Kentucky.

• DrFan Bigfork, MT, MT
    March 15, 2011 11:48 a.m.

"Hedge: a calculatedly noncommittal or evasive statement; to protect oneself from losing or failing by a counterbalancing action."

Looks like someone's name is well chosen indeed! By the way, only one team wins their last game, so betting for a team to lose (eventually) is the overwhelming play. Vegas has the Cougs as 35-1 to win it all--that's (follow the math, Hedgie) 1/36= 2.8%. Even if we fans, what, doubled that it is scarcely 5%. That leaves pathetic and gutless negative predictions a 95% chance of finally succeeding.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    March 15, 2011 9:34 a.m.

hedgie, so when exactly do you think they'll fail? You've been wrong all year. You'll be wrong again. You promised silence if the beat SDSU in SD, but you didn't keep your word.

BYU will win against Wofford and Zag / St Johns. It's all about match ups after that. I'm hoping Florida gets through, because I think they match up better against Florida than UCLA.

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    March 15, 2011 8:45 a.m.

I suspect BYU will be the trendy upset special on just about every bracket pool around the country.

If ever a high seed was designed to fail... it's this one.

• Mountanman Hayden, ID
    March 15, 2011 7:51 a.m.

The loss to SDSU didn't really hurt the Cougars much. After all, they swept SDSU in league play two years in a row! Not only that but it will motivate the team (as Jimmer said) to play better in the tournament! As far as the suspension, not to worry! Brandon will learn and become a better man and a better basketball player from the experience! The wisest among us learn best from our mistakes and obviously Brandon is handling his learning experience very well!

• Esquire Springville, UT
    March 15, 2011 6:41 a.m.

The loss may be behind them, but is the suspension? I think not.