Sports

BYU football: Jake Heaps still Cougars' starting QB

Comments

• Big Hapa Kaysville, UT
    March 15, 2011 11:49 p.m.

Dude I am not your Buddy. You have rose colored glasses for Heaps, reality he beat up on teams that all were sub 80 at best. Utah stunk, and oh yeah USU dropping 50+ on your Heaps. I am sure you have also selectively have forgotten about which QB scored the first touch down's of 2010 season.

The AF game for real you are hanging that one on Riley who had five scripted plays that he as well as Heaps scrimmaged with all week, and when Heaps was stinking it up as well as Riley, they tossed Riley out there to finish the game. Remember Riley tossed the first TD of this game as well Heaps only picks.

Come on you can'y be serious. Yes the team jelled after getting past the first 5 weeks of the season, that is because they had gotten past the tuff stuff and ahead nothing but patsy's.

I am a TRUE BYU fan I love this program and I love what makes this program special and that is all the RM's that is why this school is unique, not because Heaps has graced our lack luster football team.

• AribaD Spanish Fork, UT
    March 15, 2011 10:13 p.m.

Is it September yet?

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    March 15, 2011 4:56 p.m.

I have more confidence in Heaps than Doman. Not sure if Brandon is up to the challenge. Doman sounds sort of gimicky to me. Hope this isn't going to be Crowton ball all over again. I remember how grateful everyone was when Anae came from Texax Tech ... and the Y had some pretty darn good years too. Hope the Y isn't going backwards this year.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    March 15, 2011 4:50 p.m.

come on - get serious. Heaps is the QB at the Y. Nelson is terrible. Heaps made it through the baptism of fire last year and came out pretty darn good at the end. This is ridiculous. There is no competition.

• XelaDave Salem, UT
    March 15, 2011 10:00 a.m.

I love spring- undefeated and all the shortcomings of the past season are forgotten and all players on both sides of the ball are ready to be all americans- Sept. usually brings a little reality and Oct. brings a big dose of it but spring is wonderful and all is well- read the boards on any program and they look about like this one- hope in Dec. things look as bright

• --JEFFE-- Cedar City, UT
    March 15, 2011 12:13 a.m.

Big Hapa.

A little over dramatic don't you think?

I said nothing about the other QB's being worthless, I actually complemented both James and Riley on their abilities and requested information about Jason Munns.

But yes, I believe Jake puts BYU in the best position to compete and to win games. ( I'm sure I'm not alone in that) And him getting injured would be a big speed bump for the BYU Offense. And although Riley is a great leader, I think Lark of Munns would be better suited to take over in case of a Heaps injury (knock on wood). But with a Big veteran line blocking for Jake, I think we have a pretty good chance of keeping him safe all season. But I would like to see Lark of Munns step up as a solid backup, and Riley come in for special situations.

Hapa, I know you have been a Jake hater since he came on campus, bashing him for choosing not to serve a mission and passing up Riley Nelson on the depth chart, get over it buddy.
    There is a lot to look forward to in 2011

• mistertilly Provo, Utah
    March 14, 2011 11:41 p.m.

@ Big Hapa

It sounds like you were determined to use that quote no matter the context, and it just didn't fit.

I don't think Jeffe from Cedar was saying that the other quarterbacks are worthless at all. In fact, all he said was Heaps is the best choice.

And that reminds me of a quote. Don't throw the baby out with the bath water, is better than two in the bush.

• Big Hapa Kaysville, UT
    March 14, 2011 11:15 p.m.

I guess according to Jeff from Cedar the wheels would fall off the "O" if Heaps goes down. All the other QB's are worthless in his eyes, man good thing he is not the coach.

Your comments remind me of a Benjamin Franklin quote: while attending a liter then air demonstration in Paris he over heard a French aristocrat comment about the hot air balloon demonstration " I say what good are they" Franklin replied with "I guess you could say the same for a new born babe" I hope for Jeff from Cedar's sake nothing happens to Heaps.

• CougarOnTheProwl Murray, UT
    March 14, 2011 10:55 p.m.

Ah spring is here, I wish it was fall already im ready for some more football!!! Heaps as the starter who would of guessed that??? I think that is pretty much a lock going into next season. Now what to do with Riley??? I think they should try him at safety that could be his best chance to get on the field and play significant minutes. I just dont see Riley fitting into the offense, he is a good runner but we have 3 good rbs for that and as a passer Riley just doesn't have much of an arm. I do like the kid and he is a good athlete, but I think he would be better served on defense as a safety. He might be able to contribute in a wildcat package I suppose but he would likely only see the field a few plays per game and I certainly dont want to see another two QB system where Heaps and Riley rotate every other series.

• Cougar Claws Lindon, UT
    March 14, 2011 8:22 p.m.

As for the NC talk, let's settle down a little bit on that. Let's get to a couple BCS bowls first, and then we can start talking NC. The way college football is set up it is difficult for ANYBODY to get to a NC, even for the biggest of the big boys. A lot of it is cheap politics anyway.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    March 14, 2011 8:11 p.m.

15 minutes can save you 15% on your DirecTV bill!

I cancelled the sports package today that was required to get the mtn on DirecTV. Yea! And even better, I now get to watch all the BYU games in HD starting with Thursday's game against Wofford. Woo Hoo.

I can only imagine how many people will now cancel their subscription to the mtn. I heard that 50% of their advertising revenue came from Utah, associated with the U and the Y. Somehow I don't see Boise, ID picking up the slack.

I really like the teams in the MWC, and wish we could have stayed for all other sports except football. But with Thompson and the mtn, there is no way we could stay.

For those underestimating Holmoe's focus on Exposure, just remember that exposure has made Boise State into what it is today, and without ESPN, BSU will fade into just another mid-major. They will be looking for a way out of the MWC within a couple of years.

• --JEFFE-- Cedar City, UT
    March 14, 2011 7:50 p.m.

Big Hapa,

I know you have been on the Riley Nelson bandwagon since spring ball last year, but after watching him take over in the AF game last season and struggle badly, I do not think he is really capable of leading the offense successfully. He is strictly mediocre in passing the ball, but does have great mobility and leadership.

I agree with CougfaninTX, Riley is strictly a special situations QB that can come in and pass and run on 3rd down or goal line situations. As for James Lark, I saw him play in high school and a little bit last season, and he does have the ability to run and gun, but he does not have the football IQ, technique, accuracy, or upside that Jake Heaps has. None of the other QB's do. Just the facts.
    Heaps was named the Elite 11 Camp MVP for a reason. I think he will have a breakout season next year.

Has anyone seen Jason Munns play or practice? I LOVE his prolific 6'5 size and he was highly touted out of high school. But I have not heard or seen anything of him.

• Resolute Voice Salt Lake City, UT
    March 14, 2011 5:23 p.m.

This article makes me wonder if Bronco learned anything from last season. The tone certainly seems to indicate he still prefers Riley. Not a good sign.

• Big Hapa Kaysville, UT
    March 14, 2011 4:40 p.m.

Wow Frisco Tx

All that insight from the Lone Star State, I would have thought you attended all the "O" meetings and scrimmages. You sound like you have Domans ear.

The Riley angle as a backup plan in case Heaps did not sign that is a new one. If that was the case then why would you not put him as the backup if there was an injury to Heaps ?

James Lark is as good as Heaps and when given the rep's he can toss the rock as crisp and tight as Heaps ? Then you have Riley who now gets another year of eligibility do to his third game season ending injury to FSU, he brings another dimension that is smooth as clock work when given all the time needed to jell.

The Texas insight is nice keep bringing it fellow Coug fan.

Poly Cougar Nation

• Where's Stockton ??? Bowling Green, OH
    March 14, 2011 4:23 p.m.

With Doman as the new OC it better be significantly different...that's the whole point...to come up with a better offense with more intensity than Anae could bring. Despite the numbers ...the pass / run ratio that everyone keeps wanting to say was there under Anae... was nothing more than running an easily read... predominantly short and out passing strategy...which in no way constitutes a pass oriented offense. It was way too conservative..and because it was so easily read...it wasn't very effective...not for the receiver talent that was there that was not being fully utilized. Once Anae left and Heaps was allowed to use the entire field it opened up a whole new game. Doman needs to build on what he started with the bowl game against UTEP and get serious about mixing up his passing plays and use the run to set up the passes and not use the pass like Anae did to set up the runs. Heaps is the beginning of a new line of BYU Quarterbacks. And the receivers we have comming back are going to be the ones who carry the Cougars back to prominence once again.

• Big Hapa Kaysville, UT
    March 14, 2011 4:22 p.m.

Well lets all be patient with the Spring predictions it is a long season and barring injuries, academic issues, H.C. violations {Unga-ed)and the like, lets relax take in the spring ball reports and anticipate the best.

I am excited for what this "Independent" future will bring, I am excited for the ESPN broadcast, that will be awesome since we all have been forced to watch the Lame MTN channel LOLO of a channel. YES, that will be nice.

Our young gun sophomore QB has a ton of quality backups, Hague moving to DB sounds cool, that dude can bring the wood baby. Lets watch the development of the tight end position that should by a talented battle.

There is plenty of positive, cool stuff, to watch and to anticipate so lets Chill-Lax and soak in the Spring reports my fellow Cougar faithful, and for the confused ewtes that wander across our BYU blog's lets show the compassion and brotherly kindness that they show to our BYU Cougars. Yeah when pigs fly.

• Independent Henderson, NV
    March 14, 2011 3:28 p.m.

Let it begin!

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    March 14, 2011 2:38 p.m.

This is going to be an exciting year!

As for Riley, I'd leave him as a QB, but I don't see him as a starter. Hear me out . . . I'd go with a two QB system but completely different than last year. I'd play Riley 5 or 6 plays a game, either as a QB or a RB for a little trickery. Maybe a wild cat formation, or a flea flicker, or maybe on 2nd and short bring Riley in to keep the defense guessing.

I hope that Heaps doesn't go down with an injury, but even if he did I don't think Riley is the right guy to move in as the starter. His game is too different from how BYU and the offensive team play. Munns or Lark should be the back-up, again using Riley for a few trick plays each game.

If BYU would have known Heaps was signing out of HS, they would have never gone after Riley. Riley was the back-up plan in case Heaps didn't sign.

• ute4ever West Jordan, UT
    March 14, 2011 2:31 p.m.

Why WOULDN'T Heaps be the starter this year? The headline of the story seems to insinuate that there was a question as to who the starter would be. If Bronco makes that same dilusional mistake by starting anyone other than Heaps this year, I would have SERIOUS questions about him. Heaps just about beat my Utes team last year....and grew in every game I saw. He's got the talent...there is no competition (at least in this Ute's humble opinion).

BYU has a tough road this year, and will have a tough road every year if their goal is BCS game. As an independent with no BCS conference affiliation, you pretty much have to go undefeated to play in the BCS games (history shows that any non-BCS team has needed to be undefeated). With their schedule and the teams they are scheduling, that will be difficult. I respect BYU, but they just aren't and won't likely ever be on par with Texas, Notre Dame, and the truely "big boy" teams. Good luck none the less!!

• Cougar Eat Ute Cedar Hills, UT
    March 14, 2011 1:49 p.m.

It's finally football season! (well, spring football season at least).

Great writeup Jeff. I think Jake shows leaps and bounds of improvement this year. Too bad I won't see it; I'm leaving on a mission in the fall.

Sad to see Keoshian and Gains aren't with the team at this point. Glad to see Chambers willing to work to get back.

Also remember the name Ryan Comer. The JC walk-on will prove to be the best play out of Snow, not Preston Hadley.

All in all it's gonna be a superb season. Best finish will be 10-2 or even 11-1. Worst will be around 8-4 or 7-5.

GOO COUGARS!

• Mildred in Fillmore Salt Lake City, UT
    March 14, 2011 1:06 p.m.

To Veritas Aequitas: You are correct. Jake is a very nice boy and he is humble too. I am glad that it appears he will be the starting quarterback for us this year. I hope that Riley finds a spot where he too can contribute.

• SoCal Roger Costa Mesa, CA
    March 14, 2011 1:00 p.m.

I am excited about the possibilities for BYU football for the 2011-2012 season.

Does anyone know what happened to Romney Fuga? I know he had a season ending injury last year.

I did not see his name mentioned at all in this article.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    March 14, 2011 12:05 p.m.

Oh. Mildred and Ernest T Bass are better than the wedge and chris. A little sad that some BYU fans will agree with them hook, line and sinker. I prefer my sly sarcastic wit aimed at Utah, but I think most BYU fans are too innocent to generate the best ironic humor.

Or maybe they try hard not to stoop to that level.

• jazzer St. George, UT
    March 14, 2011 12:00 p.m.

This game might be worse then the following 5 blow outs. If we dont have a 100% Ak, no millsap, no elson, no price no Bell, a hurt hayward... Who do we have to play?

come on KOC bring up a few d leagers so we can actually act like we are trying to compete. What does it hurt to bring them up and so we dont use jefferson and our other players 40 + minutes.. this season is over and lets hope to get 2 good draft picks and maybe try for a quality trade to help this team out...who knows tho we might be content where we are at...

• Not from Utah Spring, TX
    March 14, 2011 11:44 a.m.

I understand that Mildred is certain she's providing a very witty critique of BYU fans, but what she doesn't realize is that her comments embarrass whatever may remain of the expected level of intelligence of BYU-haters.

• Cougar Claws Lindon, UT
    March 14, 2011 11:18 a.m.

Great to see Spring Ball starting! It really hurts to read about the guys that are not playing or currently off the team. The most painful to read about is Kori Gaines. I really hope that he's able to come back this Fall. That guy is a stud athlete who can not only be a great corner, but he could be awesome in the return game on special teams.

It might be interesting to see how Ansah can do at linebacker. He's a great raw athlete so I hope he can do some good things.

Go Cougs!

• Mildred in Fillmore Salt Lake City, UT
    March 14, 2011 11:00 a.m.

Cougars are going to have a fantastic year. We will finally be going to a BCS Bowl amd my hopes for a shot at a National Championship will be realized. We have speed all over the field and with Jake, nothing is impossible.

• IDC Boise, ID
    March 14, 2011 10:04 a.m.

If Heaps stays healthy and maintains his starting role, I hope they can find a spot in the offense for Nelson. With Riley's toughness, running and throwing ability, he could cause a lot of problems for defenses. If a couple of DBs can step up, BYU should have a great season. Go Cougs!

• afro14 Sandy, UT
    March 14, 2011 9:58 a.m.

@mildred

wow... just... wow. I hope you're not being serious.

• Bugoff Houston, TX
    March 14, 2011 9:58 a.m.

The key questions are: how does Bronco utilize Nelson who could be quite helpful to the team in some situations and how well do the WRs and TEs develop. The offense should be better.

I expect the D to be as good if not better than last year.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    March 14, 2011 9:44 a.m.

I watched Jake Heaps work out a bit ago. The kid has a rocket. BYU could have a decent team. Plus, he's a very nice kid.

• Mildred in Fillmore Salt Lake City, UT
    March 14, 2011 9:27 a.m.

The Cougs should be ranked in the top 10 and play for a national championship. Our schedule is one of the toughest in the nation. Hopefully Jake will stay and play all 4 years but I am afraid he will leave after his junior year to take his rightful place next to the great quarterbacks in the NFL.

• Real Bass Idaho Falls, ID
    March 14, 2011 9:12 a.m.

Please Riley, ask to play safety!

• Mountanman Hayden, ID
    March 14, 2011 8:09 a.m.

Jake Heaps will be an all American before he leaves BYU!

• sammyg Springville, UT
    March 14, 2011 12:10 a.m.

You betcha'! Excited for Jake and company this fall. It will be fun and exciting to see this footbal program continue into independence.

Football season can't happen soon enough! And ESPN and BYUtv coverage makes it all the better. I will miss the MTN like an ingrown toenail.

As a sidebar... Hedgie is predicting problems for the Utes in September, a longer learning curve for the new Chow offense, new QBs and Wynn on the sidelines. Can it be true? Maybe his predictions for the Utes might hold some water.

Glad BYU does not have these kinds of issues. Great to be a Cougar fan.