Sports

Utah State basketball: Aggies stunned by its No. 12

Comments

• Dyer Gary Bountiful, UT
    March 15, 2011 3:17 p.m.

USU plays a weak schedule & deserves that seed. Merrill thinks he is the best coach in UT but he is far from it.

• kstep15 Logan, UT
    March 15, 2011 1:37 p.m.

Aggies get screwed again by the NCAA. Now go and and do it AGGIES!!!

• Mr.M Jaack Bountiful, UT
    March 15, 2011 10:19 a.m.

I place partial blame on the media in the State of Utah. They focus on one team (sorry) player in the State of Utah all season long. Why should the national media types take notice of the great team and program in Logan when the local media does not? It is the sports and news media in Utah that we have to blame. National media pick up on other news items and chatter about the "hot" teams in the country. They look to what others are saying, they cant possibly watch every game themselves. Not enough time. I agree that they just need to win and not whine about the seed, but hopefully EVERY news agency in the State of Utah takes notice. If you dont care, niether will anyone else. BTW, Jimmer and team will probably go down early in the dance. The teams that go far are much deeper off the bench and in the middle. I wish it were different, but that is the reality of it all.

• unspoken Clearfield, UT
    March 15, 2011 7:54 a.m.

The big difference this year with the Aggies is that they have something to prove. Previous years, all it seemed like the team worried about was getting into the NCAA tournament. This year is different, we all knew we were going and expected a better seed that would give us a better chance at success. With a less-than-desired seed, the Aggies will go out with more passion and desire than we have seen in the past. This year it isn't just "Make it to the Tourney," it is win a few games! We have the team to do it.

• badlandscougar great plains, sd
    March 14, 2011 11:34 p.m.

aggies, just play like you have been and beat kansas st. let your play do the talking and if you have to wear blue uniforms, make that the reason even more to win it. go aggies!!

• ImaUteFan West Jordan, UT
    March 14, 2011 8:10 p.m.

First 5/12 upset pick on my bracket!

• FlatlanderCougar Doniphan, NE
    March 14, 2011 7:53 p.m.

WHAT? Somebody is shocked about what the NCAA does....or for that matter the NCAA Selection Committee? Come on guys it resembles an East Coast slaughterhouse the way this comes down every year (and we all know it, right?) It just hurts a little more when it hits closer to home. (The anti-Ute in me says if it had happened to the Pukes, I would have cheered all night!)But it is always the money trail and that is where the populace cities are located in the U.S., especially the northeast and east coast. The NCAA knows who greases their palms! Now, go you former USAC bunch and kick some K-State butts! Time for their fans to quit mooin' and start supportin' a very good team. Go show it!

• MiP Iowa City, IA
    March 14, 2011 7:11 p.m.

I'm telling you, this is the bracket to bust.

Although unlikely, how insane would it be to have USU vs BYU in the elite 8?

Nothing sticks it to the man better than actually winning.

• Ragnar Danneskjold Bountiful, UT
    March 14, 2011 4:44 p.m.

Just as an FYI for those asking Barnes for an explanation. They ask the AD of the team to leave the room when they are discussing that team. He doesn't have any input on them. I guess he could have hypothetically complained, but it wouldn't have mattered.
    I agree with what a few people have already said, it stinks, but this is the bracket to make some noise. Make a sweet 16 and this kind of thing won't happen for a few more years. That is how it works. I was as mad as anyone when I saw they were a 12 seed, but given what I said above, I would rather them here than a 8 or 9, facing the 1 seed in the second round.
    It is a more difficult first round game, but an easier route to the sweet 16. Just shut down Pullen and the Aggies should keep it competitive. Let's hope for the best. Go Aggies. Make some noise in the tournament so this won't happen again. And please, please don't leave Logan, Stew!

• shirley Arco, ID
    March 14, 2011 3:04 p.m.

I I personally believe the commish of the conference or the Aggies mind set people that make the decisions, should start begging for forgiveness for not joining the MWC. There is no ways the Aggies will ever get noticed or gain any respect is to get out off the WAC. They had their chance but thought a pledge to stay was worth something, when the other schools jump as soon as someone said,"GO!" Love the WAC?

• ouisc Farmington, UT
    March 14, 2011 1:48 p.m.

There is a big difference between national rankings and the discussions that happen within the selection committee. National rankings don't consider opponents, or the polls would reflect RPI and SOS a little bit better.

The selection committee DOES consider strength of schedule and how your team did against viable opponents. How did USU do against viable opponents? 0-2. 1-2 if you count the impressive win at St. Mary's, but they didn't get an at-large birth.

The next big thing on the USU resume is that they defeated Boise State 3 times, but that doesn't turn any heads. Going 30-3 is a nice accomplishment, but it is meaningless given the caliber of competition in the WAC and the Gossner Classic. 30-3 is very misleading compared to 1-2.

Coach Morrill is a heck of a coach. Getting some consistent wins in national tournaments will get folks to recognize USU a little more. Go Aggies!

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    March 14, 2011 1:23 p.m.

Scott Barnes was there. Let's hear an accounting of how it went Scott. I will reserve judgement for a couple of days or until he explains.

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    March 14, 2011 12:56 p.m.

Put the hammer on Pullen and Coach Martin. I believe the Aggies can do it.

• MJB Tooele, UT
    March 14, 2011 11:51 a.m.

OK does anyone know what channel TRU-tv is?

• posterized Salt Lake City, UT
    March 14, 2011 11:42 a.m.

Hey, at least one 12 seed beats a 5 nearly every year. I sure hope it's the Aggies! K-state doesn't know the buzz saw they just walked into. A disrespected Aggie team is going to go in with a chip on their shoulder bigger than Jacob Pullen's ego.

• John S. Harvey Sandy, UT
    March 14, 2011 11:39 a.m.

Normally I would be very annoyed about the 12th seed, but in this case it will likely end up being a good thing as we will pull off an "upset". Ken Pomroy has USU ranked 16th and Kansas St. ranked 29th, he has USU at a 60% chance of winning the game. Wilson has USU and Kansas St. even. The NCAA BB Team Overall Power Rating has USU at 18 and Kansas St. at 23. The RPI ratings have the USU -vs- K St. advantage even larger.

• Super Trooper SLC, UT
    March 14, 2011 11:20 a.m.

All you TROLLS settle down. The "RPI" is just code for footballs "BCS." They use it when it is convenient for them but pay no attention when it doesn't.

How else would you describe a RPI of 15 and a 12 seed? They say "Oh your schedule is weak, your conference is weak...blah, blah, blah. What was the reason they even came up wit thew RPI? So schools with weak schedules and conferences are "penalized" versus those 9th seeds in other conferences.

The RPI factors in YOUYR Strength of Schedule, Your opponents Strength of Schedule AND your Conference! So if you are in a weak conference you are penalized THREE times!!!

SOOOOO USU still is #15 and gets a 12 seed. If the RPI is WORTH anything..they should have been a 4 seed. If we are going to have a national tourney...let's make it fair.

• Ogden Aggie Ogden, UT
    March 14, 2011 11:13 a.m.

Well, I have had some time to let this digest and it is what it is. Let's hope the Ags can use this rediculous seed as some fuel to get a victory. The last time the Aggies won in '01 I was a senior and we watched it in my Calculus class. I think I will be able to access the game through Tru TV online at school where I now teach English. Maybe the whole seeing it at school will be a good omen. I sure hope so. Let's stick it to the committee and beat K-State!

• WarriorWeber Ogden, UT
    March 14, 2011 10:42 a.m.

How about this....Everyone should bombard AD Scott Barnes and ask why he didn't fight for the Aggies to get a higher seed! Yes...Our AD...Scott Barnes was on the Committee! There is the gross injustice! I realize he is but one person but give me a break!

• MiP Iowa City, IA
    March 14, 2011 9:46 a.m.

Err, the SOutheast regional is the weakest, not the SOuthwest. Sorry bout that.

• MiP Iowa City, IA
    March 14, 2011 9:44 a.m.

If there is a bright side, it's that the Southwest regional is hands down the weakest of the bunch.

Pitt: weakest #1, by far.
    Florida: weakest #2, considering their losses, and should have flipped with Kentucky
    BYU: Overall deserved a 3, but who would you rather play right now: UConn, Syracuse or BYU? Exactly.
    Wisconsin: decent 4, but won't get out of the first round when they face Belmont.
    Kansas State: didn't look much like a contender a couple of weeks ago. Aggies are ranked higher and have a higher rank in the RPI.
    St. Johns: Most overrated 6 seed. Just look at their early season losses which include St. Mary's. And their without a key player.
    UCLA and Michigan St. are underachieving 7 and 10 seeds, who could show up...or not.

I'm telling you, if ever ther was a bracket to bust, it's this one. Cougar fans are lighting candles to Fredettes shrine because they didn't end up in Ohio State's bracket.

This is the bracket to bust, Aggies. Now show us.

• HopefulHeber Heber City, UT
    March 14, 2011 9:42 a.m.

I agree that this is a dumb ranking, but can Utah State really complain that much when the althetic director from Utah State is on the 10 person committee choosing what teams go where?

I like many others was baffled by them getting a low seed but obviously he doesnt think much of his aggies!

• Scott1 Draper, UT
    March 14, 2011 9:09 a.m.

Yes, this is a bit of a slap, but it also is a good thing. If they had gotten an 8 or 9 seed, like many thought they would, their next game would be against a number 1 seed. If they can get past Kansas St., their next obstacle is probably a 4 seed. I'm OK with this.

• plyxply SLC, UT
    March 14, 2011 9:05 a.m.

I love the Aggies and Coach Morrill but how can they expect anything different when we continually schedule horrible teams in the pre-season. The Ags need to dump the Gossner classic and get involved in some tourneys that have legit teams and not jr. high programs.
    Good luck to the Aggies, but Stew please please please either stop complaining about your 12 seeds every year or do something to change it. Five years ago if the Ags would've put some teams on their schedule we'd see the fruits of that and would have a good seed. Unfortunately Stew thinks the world should be fair and it's taken him way too long to figure out that's not how things work.

• Veracruz Brentwood, CA
    March 14, 2011 9:03 a.m.

I am 100% Cougar. Having said that, WHAT A RIP OFF! Go get 'em Aggies! I have you guys winning the first round on my bracket,and maybe more.

• Not So Fast Salt Lake City, UT
    March 14, 2011 8:53 a.m.

USU did play some tough games vs. non-conference teams. It didn't help. However, the coach needs to forget home-home series and simply but tough teams on the schedule. Oh yea, Georgetown and St. Mary's . . .

The committee wasn't good this year with seeds. Simple. Nuts and bolts.

• Louisiana Cougar Pineville, LA
    March 14, 2011 5:59 a.m.

Frankly, the Aggies are a better team right now than BYU . . . and I am a Cougar fan.

BYU is vulnerable to a team with an inside game. As BYU's outside shooting goes, so go the Cougars.

Jimmer is an incredible scorer, but having Chris Collinsworth and Brandon Davies out makes a huge difference.

Success to both teams. I think USU can give K-State a great game.

• IA Cougar West Des Moines, IA
    March 14, 2011 5:05 a.m.

Huge BYU fan here. I wish the Aggies well. The 12 seed stinks but you had a terrific season and I think you can beat KSU. The 5/12 matchups always pull upset wins. In your case, I don't think a win would be an upset. Remember, the chairman of the Selection Committee is the AD at BCS - Ohio State. It always favors BCS schools and conferences. Why? We all know that. $$$$$$$$$$$
    Good luck. Let's get a nice Aggie Win and a nice Cougar win and advance!

• Eddie Syracuse, UT
    March 14, 2011 4:45 a.m.

What are all you Aggie fans yappin about? If you are that good, go out and beat K State and make the selection committee look bad! If you have a better record and a better team...prove it. You have the ability to go out and get the bball nation talking by winning a couple of games. That will give you the respect and eyes on you that you want.

• Joe Schmoe Orem, UT
    March 14, 2011 3:10 a.m.

Two things.

First, Coach, there is no such thing as BCS in basketball. By calling it that you only perpetuate the problem.

Second, I think this shows that USU needs to really work on their OOC resume. Go out and play some of the big boys. You might not win them all but your SOS will improve and your team will be tested. You might not get a return game but that is the reality of playing in the WAC.

Tai called it a slap in the face but I think the committee was sending a message.

No, I'm not a troll. In fact I have a Masters from USU.

At any rate I think it is a very winnable game. 5 seeds beat 12 seeds almost every year. I'm picking USU in my bracket!

• drb Providence, UT
    March 14, 2011 12:46 a.m.

Maybe we don't like the idea of a 12th seed, given because even with 30 wins, the schedule ended up being pretty weak. But suppose that USU was seeded at #5 because of its win-loss record, and Kansas State, even with its impressive wins, and poll rankings similar to USU, was ranked #12 because it has 10 losses. Would we complain? Guess what, there would be no difference in the tournament schedule for USU in this case!! If Kansas State has one of its best games, USU probably loses. But if not, USU has a good shot.

• OU812 Layton, UT
    March 14, 2011 12:17 a.m.

To be a realist, of those 30 wins, one was against the top 100, St Mary's, two of their loses looked better then most of the wins, on the road to Georgetown and BYU, zero wins against teams in the NCAA tournament. Can't really be to surprised.

Back to the game: IMO, this is USUs worst case scenario for a matchup. KSU is big, can jump out of the building and thrive on in your face defensive pressure and try and block every shot put up, plus they have an all american guard in Pullen who made Jimmer pee his pants last year. Their coach is Mr. Intensity with bug eyes to go with it. But if USU can hit some threes early and build a lead, I think they could take the air out of the ball. If the game is close at the end, KSU is terrible in shooting foul shots, but that was without Pullen, I watched the UNLV/KSU game earlier in the year. UNLV pulled out an ugly slugfest.

• Boston Spanish Fork, UT
    March 13, 2011 11:18 p.m.

Go AGGIES! Put it to them, just like in 2001 when you (#12 seed) beat Ohio St.(#5) seed. Find the slipper, and wear it! Be the Cinderella and prove the committe wrong. GO AGGIES!!!!!!!!!

• Rodgers Sandy, UT
    March 13, 2011 10:33 p.m.

Yes, this is a lower seed than expected, but if USU does get an 8, next round #1. With this secenario IF the ags win they will play maybe a #4 seed. At least they made the tourney. The team that really got hosed was Uof Colorado. They beat Kstate 3 times and didn't even make it. The committee really needs to be revamped or punished for it's idiocies.

• nehu Kaysville, UT
    March 13, 2011 9:04 p.m.

Wo Wo what is in the water out there? Cougars actually giving us some cheers? I'll take it I guess. Never have I been so baffled in all my life, never. I truly feel the selection committee may be partly racist or at the very least regionally biased. It is simply my opinion. With my complaining out of the way let's go silence the committee and their bias, just win.

JP

• Go Big Blue!!! Bountiful, UT
    March 13, 2011 8:52 p.m.

Totally disgusted!

The only way to answer is to beat Kansas State.

Go Big Blue!!!

• Cali Coug Visalia, CA
    March 13, 2011 8:16 p.m.

Aggies are better than a No. 12 seed...go in and give K-State a lose.

• In My Humble Opinion South Jordan, UT
    March 13, 2011 8:08 p.m.

Money grubbing, elitist BCS schools who have no integrity and zero knowledge of anything that happens in the Mountain States.

Same people who threw Boise State and TCU into the same bowl game two years ago instead of letting them each beat one of their schools.

Same people who denied Boise State a New Year's bowl game this year.

Same people who give a coach who knowingly hid violations a two game suspension after they suspended five of his players five games each for those violations (fair would've been suspend him for 5 x 5 games).

Same people who formed the BCS because a non-"elite" school won a national championship and a decade later a New Year's Day bowl game.

Go Aggies. Every fan of every school in Utah will be rooting for you.

• NevadaCoug Overton, NV
    March 13, 2011 7:40 p.m.

I'll definitely be cheering for the Aggies. They are a very good team, probably better than BYU without Davies. I hope they smash down Kansas St.

In fact, wouldn't it be kind of cool to see USU and BYU face off in the elite 8? Probably won't happen, but it would be a great match up. And a huge slap in the face to the eastern elites who disparage western teams so much.

• Wakeupcall Logan, UT
    March 13, 2011 7:02 p.m.

This should be a sign to the program that they are on a sinking ship in the WAC, it will only get worse with the mass exodus of much of our quality to the MWC. I want out. In the meantime, I wouldn't mind seeing the Ags knock off a potential final four candidate.

• stonewall Cottonwood Heights, UT
    March 13, 2011 6:28 p.m.

A team that was being discussed as a 7-seed widely, particularly on ESPN, with a basement of an 8 or 9 in most people's eyes, gets a TWELVE? This has to be one of the most baffling examples of the selection committee being on a different page than everybody else I've ever seen. I'd like to see some research done to tell me when the last time was a team with 30 wins was seeded so low? Or the last top 25 team to be seeded so low was? This is a shocker. And it reveals something else. If Utah State didn't win the conference tournament, if this is truly what the committee thought of them, they probably wouldn't have gotten in at all. Lesson learned. Never leave it up to the committee. They'll always find a way to stiff the Aggies.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    March 13, 2011 6:18 p.m.

That's a tough draw, but one I think USU can take.

Go Aggies.

• Mike Johnson Stafford, VA
    March 13, 2011 6:05 p.m.

USU don't let this get you down. Don't let the selection committee be confirmed that they made the right decision. Prove them wrong. By many significant measures you are a slightly better team than Kansas State:

RPI: USU #15, KSU #23
    ESPN Coaches Poll: USU #17, KSU #23
    Sagarin: USU #21, KSU #25

The AP is an outlier: USU #23, KSU #19

USU is at least evenly matched on paper.

KSU is considered one of the hottest teams in the country, because they beat 6 teams in a row between two losses to Colorado. They are entering the tournament on a loss.

Now 12 seeds beat 5 seeds almost every year, but this time, the 12 seed has the better paper resume and that is unusual. And if you win, it becomes as if you were a 5 seed. So go take it.

At least they didn't make you have to play in to become a 12th seed like UAB and Clemson have to do.

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    March 13, 2011 5:53 p.m.

Chicken crap committee. They are a top 20 team and this? No respect for the WAC at all. I hope USU can play their A game and take it to them.
    Ridiculous!

• jimbo049 North Logan, UT
    March 13, 2011 5:49 p.m.

This is another terrible injustice for the Aggies this year. They have an RPI of 15 and ranked 17th in the nation and get a 12th seed. First their conference members stiff them. Then BYU bails on them and elects to play in the WCC after USU supported them. And now this.

• SportsFan101 Bountiful, UT
    March 13, 2011 5:27 p.m.

What else do you have to do. They could have lost 8 more games, won the tournament, and still got this seed. Gross.

• Rebel-Aggie Provo, UT
    March 13, 2011 5:15 p.m.

So USU was ranked #17 in the nation, but was placed behind 44 other teams in the tournament? Doesn't seem fair to me. Oh well. Hopefully with our 30-3 record we can beat a team with a 22-10 record.