BYU basketball: Jimmer Fredette scores record 52 points, Cougars defeat Lobos

• Duckhunted highland, utah
    March 12, 2011 7:17 p.m.

please boys pass the ball to Jimmer he scored 52 by himself...come on boys be team players!! Go Cougs!!

• WA_Alum&Dad Marysville, WA
    March 12, 2011 11:52 a.m.

. . . and my soul did long to be there.

Go get 'em boys!

• cowboy99 South Jordan, UT
    March 12, 2011 11:40 a.m.

an interesting stat would be how many points has Jimmer scored during his career from steals that Jackson Emery made. Jimmer is awesome. Emery is pretty good himself.

• Hugh G. Hater SLC, UT
    March 12, 2011 11:20 a.m.

I felt like I was some poor slob in the 1920s listening to the game
    on the radio.
    Thanks MTN and CBS College Sports!

• badlandscougar great plains, sd
    March 12, 2011 11:12 a.m.

we will be losing Fredette, Emery and a coach or two for next season.

• MiP Iowa City, IA
    March 12, 2011 10:47 a.m.

Congrats to Jimmer and the Cougars. The record-breaking performance by Fredette was fantastic. However, I don't think this win will affect their seeding if they lose to SDSU tonight (other than the win gives them a chance to beat the Aztecs).

Here's why: had the Y lost to UNM, folks could have said "well UNM has their number, yet they still only lost to two different teams." Whereas if they lose tonight, they will have 4 losses against 3 different teams and they will no longer have the entire edge over the Aztecs. Therefore, regardless if they lose in the MWC semis or finals I've felt they end up a 3 seed.

However, win tonight and they will be at least a 2.

Good luck Cougars.

• Jeff ls Farr West, 84404
    March 12, 2011 10:24 a.m.

Absolutely heart breaking for Gary, I stood at home when I saw it. I wish him the best. Fantastic game.
    Imagine this for a moment. Jimmer scores 10 straight points to start the game. What do you think happened? Think about Twitter here for a moment. How many messages said "Jimmer's going off" It would be interesting to know if the viewers of the game skyrocketed. How many players, coaches and scouts were watching or started to watch because of messages. Have you noticed how many players and coaches are picking up skills by watching this once in a lifetime player. How many players have talked about watching him. If I could withstand the language I would visit a UNLV site, it is not worth it. It was great to see a standing ovation for Jimmer when he left the game. It was also great to see the whole stadium stand and applaud for Gary when he was Hurt. Sportsmanship and honor does transcend the game. I was great to see the respect between the player before the game. UNM is a class team coached by a class coach.

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    March 12, 2011 10:19 a.m.

As a pretty good baller recently has stated " the greatest scorer in the world" wow!

• CWJ Layton, UT
    March 12, 2011 10:05 a.m.

Like I may have said. I'm not a big Y. fan, but this was one of the absolute funnest games to watch in a long while. I hope that the Y. advances FAR into the NCAA tourney. Go Jimmer and team...

And it doesn't hurt that we have this to take our attention off of a terrible Jazz club right now.

• LivinLarge Bountiful, UT
    March 12, 2011 9:31 a.m.

Phenom! End of story...

• Cougarista Salt Lake City, UT
    March 12, 2011 9:27 a.m.

It's understandable why Chris Hill is recruiting Coach Rose so hard. I hope he has the same success that the ute basketball team had this year.

• RepresentBlue West Jordan, UT
    March 12, 2011 9:12 a.m.

@Chris B

Thanks for the encouragement. Given your track record of predictions this season I am fully expecting another Cougar win over the Aztecs.

• goitalone w bountiful, ut
    March 12, 2011 8:53 a.m.

Amazing night for BYU and Freddette, but you're too young to remember enough past players. Ticky Burden (Utah), Wayne Estes (Utah State), Willie Sojourner (Weber State), Danny Vranes (Utah). The list is long and distinguished and Jimmer belongs there forever.

• nautilus San Antontio, Texas
    March 12, 2011 8:46 a.m.

All I can say is "Thank you UNM" for being gentelman, and gallante with the Jimmer in the game. They didn't want to foul out this time, but they must have decided to stand out of his way to avoid the foul calls. Good job, regardless.

Will the Jimmer be 'knighted' now after such gallantry by UNM? Play awesome, BYU in the SDSU game tonight.

• wardu Fallon, NV
    March 12, 2011 8:45 a.m.

Chris, thanks for guaranteeing a win for the Cougars tonight. Keep it up and we will be in the NCAA final four for sure.

• In My Humble Opinion South Jordan, UT
    March 12, 2011 8:32 a.m.

Remay1 | 6:49 a.m. March 12, 2011
    Kaysville, UT

Just because none were called, doesn't mean he didn't get hacked plenty!

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    March 12, 2011 7:31 a.m.

Even I was impressed, cewgs, so props to The Jimmer. The problem, though: he left it all on the court against UNM. Unfortunately, there won't be anything left for the championship game.

• Remay1 Kaysville, UT
    March 12, 2011 6:49 a.m.

Of course he scored 52! They weren't even guarding him.... They only fouled in once! They just let him shoot 37 times without any effort to block his shot, or put a body on him, or check him on the way to the basket. I don't know what got into those Lobos? They're usually not nearly as charitable. Maybe they just wanted to be a part of a record-breaking event. Ridiculous. Bye-bye MWC.

• Esquire Springville, UT
    March 12, 2011 6:29 a.m.

The lack of trips to the free throw line for someone taking that many shots is shocking. I didn't see the game, but I know enough that there is an issue with the officiating. That Fredette overcame the problem speak volumes about his talent, drive and focus.

• Chris Degn Seoul, Korea
    March 12, 2011 1:39 a.m.

No TV coverage here in Korea for us Soldiers. :-).

So, I listened via ksl.com. God bless, Greg Wrubell. My two fav lines from him today:

1. "He's really close to our table right now. I can almost touch him. I dare not, though. I might get burnt!"

2. "Lotta great shows in Vegas, but none are like the Jimmer Show!"

Greg, I wanna live remote for 15 seconds on one of your pregames and tell you how much fun you've added to this awesome season! Congrats, Cougars! Jimmer for POY in 2011 and Prez in 2012, I'd take orders from him as my Commander in Chief any day!

• ER in EUR Belgrade, Serbia
    March 12, 2011 1:37 a.m.

Didn't see the game (3am) but what steams me is 37 shots and 5 different defenders and he gets ONE FOUL SHOT?

Jordon Rules in reverse seems so wrong. That the refs want the game to be decided on the court rather than the foul line only allows the defender more courage to foul with impunity. Wrong, wrong, wrong.

• Silly Rabbit Magna, UT
    March 12, 2011 12:46 a.m.

Oh Yea How could I forget

Andre Miller
    Kieth Van Horn
    Andrew Bogut

• Silly Rabbit Magna, UT
    March 12, 2011 12:42 a.m.

There are a couple of legends from the College Ranks in Utah

Merlin Olsen
    Danny Ainge
    Steve Young
    Jim McMahon
    Dick Motta
    Jason Buck

And now Jimmer Freddette

Im sure I missed a few more Utah Legends but its late and my mind is already asleep.

Jimmers game tonight was simply Legendary

• WHAT NOW? Saint George, UT
    March 12, 2011 12:29 a.m.

BTW, Did Ainge ever shoot 37 shots in one game?

202 fresh.

383 soph.

491 shots last year.

663 shots this year.

If you can make it from half-court, keep shooting...

• Ted H. Midvale, UT
    March 12, 2011 12:09 a.m.

I love knowing hedge's mom is holding him while he cries himself to sleep tonight. Way to rock cougs!

• slgs5aggie Cedar City, UT
    March 12, 2011 12:02 a.m.

12 T

total number of Field goals made= 28 (total by both teams)

Jimmer=52 points and 22 field goals made.

Now that is a fun comparison.

• DEW Cougars Sandy, UT
    March 11, 2011 11:55 p.m.

No longer unlv tournament. Neutral sight between BYU and SDSU. Great game Jimmer and Cougars. And what a great BYU croud tonight!

• Skippy West Jordan, UT
    March 11, 2011 11:26 p.m.

As a Utah fan I just want to say WOW! I wish I could have seen this game. Congrats to Jimmer and BYU and to all you faithful fans. I hope Utah fans will support BYU in the NCAA games just like BYU fans supported Utah in 1998.
    Keep your hands inside the car at all times, and ENJOY THE RIDE!

• plyxply SLC, UT
    March 11, 2011 11:23 p.m.

one of the best performances ever, one of the few players i'd pay scapler prices to watch play. Cougar fans live it up and enjoy this, we'll all be old by the time it happens again.

• DodgerDoug Salem, UT
    March 11, 2011 11:21 p.m.

Jimmer, jackson, Abouo, and friends.... It has been a pleasure to watch you guys this year!

• Yner4Life Springville, UT
    March 11, 2011 11:10 p.m.

Totally awesome performance! Bring it on tomorrow!

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    March 11, 2011 11:06 p.m.

52 Points...

Not even fair.

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    March 11, 2011 10:56 p.m.

@TreVon Willis:

Dude, You got JIMMERED and you weren't even in the game.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    March 11, 2011 10:53 p.m.

Some comments on the game:

1. Chris B and Tre Von will have to wait alittle longer to gloat a cougar defeat.
    2. Fifty two points and only get fouled once. Wouldn't that be a record?
    3. Can the cougs win tommorrow? Their RPI should but won't get them a one seed.

• gb13 Herriman, Utah
    March 11, 2011 10:42 p.m.

A terrific performance!! However it did take (all) of the Cougar players in order to win tonight. But it sure didn't hurt that Fredette scored his game (& career) high 52. Good luck tomorrow in the Championship.

By the way, where are the "Wiki Leaks" tonight? I guess it is too embarrassing to show up after such ridiculous posts and predictions.

I said it earlier this afternoon, the fact that New Mexico had won the last two games this season only provided special inspiration for the Jimmer-5. And it is just what the Y needed.

Now they will have to pick it back up tomorrow in order to finish this thing off right - heading into the NCAA Tournament with a #2 seed. It will be another battle no matter who wins the UNLV/San Diego State game. Go Cougars!!

• treecaps22 Charlotte, North Carolina
    March 11, 2011 10:39 p.m.

Jimmered. Again. Trevon?

• onyx1950 West Jordan, UT
    March 11, 2011 10:31 p.m.

Jimmered. what will Trevon Willis say next. I think BYU should post his comments in the Locker room. Jimmer was really in a zone. Heres hoping he is in more of a zone tomorrow with Jackson and Abou, Kyle and Noah. Great game by all the players. it sure is a lot of fun watching this team play. We will be talking about this game until tomoorw when Jimmer goes off for 60.

Go Cougars.

• rogerdpack2 Orem, UT
    March 11, 2011 10:29 p.m.

Here's to hoping SDSU loses in the semi final...

• TonganNinja Salt Lake City, UT
    March 11, 2011 10:28 p.m.

I agreed with every single comment on this board , because it needs to be recognized what the POY did 2NIGHT!!!!!!!!!!

ThX Jimmer you are one of a KIND!!!!!!!

• 93 COUGAR Orem, UT
    March 11, 2011 10:27 p.m.

52 points! Incredible.

Another great thing about the win....

Don't believe we'll be hearing from the Chris Bs or hedgies of the world tonight!

Great season.

Keep it going coach Rose and the Cougars!

• Andermart Pullman, WA
    March 11, 2011 10:26 p.m.

Oh yes. I knew this would be the game; well I hoped really hard. And Jimmer brought the house down. AMAZING!

• DixieAggie St.George, Utah
    March 11, 2011 10:17 p.m.

It's looking to be a BYU/SDSU rematch. This should be fun.

• Tommy2Shoes Lehi, UT
    March 11, 2011 10:16 p.m.

A wonderful game to watch. History made for BYU basketball. Needed 52 from Jimmer because Charles was a little off tonight. However, Collingsworth played hard and produced. Hard to believe I was watching the same team after the Wednesday meltdown. Now on to victory.

• mohrman Payson, UT
    March 11, 2011 10:16 p.m.

Gary is a good player but I have read that BYU won because he got injured and he was their best defensive player...ummm, didn't Fredette score the 33 in the first half against Gary? And wasn't BYU ahead at the half? And finally, how does Fredette only shoot one free throw, can people really be honest and say the calls are being fair? Just glad his shot was falling. Congrats to BYU and hope they can do it again tomorrow

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, Utah
    March 11, 2011 10:07 p.m.

"Jimmer is 2001 College Basketball Player of the Year!

Any question?"

Yes, my question is why the 2001 Player of Year rather than 2010-2011 Player of the Year?

In all seriousness, after this performance, Jimmer is hands down, no debate the Player of the Year. Not just a player of the year, THE Player of the Year. BYU shows how legitimate they can be. Put that old high seeding back on the shelf. BYU is for real! Now just imagine where they would be if they had not lost their 2 main centers.

• Bottom Line Draper, UT
    March 11, 2011 9:54 p.m.

• A_Chinese_American Cedar Hills, UT
    March 11, 2011 9:49 p.m.

Jimmer is 2001 College Basketball Player of the Year!

Any question?

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    March 11, 2011 9:44 p.m.

@Not So Fast

Ultimately that is all I care about as well. But you've gotta admit that was alot of fun to watch.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    March 11, 2011 9:41 p.m.

A great player is someone who can carry the whole team when he needs to.

Oh, and note to Tre'Von: the best defense is the BEST offense!

• Not So Fast Salt Lake City, UT
    March 11, 2011 9:38 p.m.

i guess i am a wet blanket but i care more that byu won, getting the unm monkey of its back, then i care how.

Can BYU win the UNLV invitational?

• JustintimeY Boise, Id
    March 11, 2011 9:34 p.m.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    March 11, 2011 9:34 p.m.

It was a great game by Jimmer but he has done it before. Nothing shocking about it. That is true greatness when you do something like that and it isn't really all that surprising.

• TMung99 Bluffdale, Utah
    March 11, 2011 9:33 p.m.

Best basketball player to ever play in the state of Utah baby!!!!

• Weber State Graduate Clearfield, UT
    March 11, 2011 9:33 p.m.

Two great players on the bench...Davies and Gary. It would have been fun to see the game with both those players on the court. Congratulations BYU.

• skywalker Palo Alto, CA
    March 11, 2011 9:31 p.m.

BYU should break tradition and retire Jimmer's number THIS YEAR!!!

There's no need to wait 5 years.

• RockOn Spanish Fork, UT
    March 11, 2011 9:29 p.m.

• Madden Herriman, UT
    March 11, 2011 9:29 p.m.

Sad to see Gary go down, still think BYU wins, but what a bummer for the kid.

• Ufan Salt Lake City, UT
    March 11, 2011 9:28 p.m.

Congratulations BYU.

That was an amazing performance by the national player of the year!

• sjgibbons Provo, UT
    March 11, 2011 9:26 p.m.

Jimmer was playing out of his mind tonight, he was remarkable! Sad to see Gary go down, tough player, seems like a great kid.

• NevadaCoug Overton, NV
    March 11, 2011 9:26 p.m.

I in agreement that losing Gary hurt, but wouldn't have mattered in the end. Fenton did a remarkable job of subbing for him and was highly responsible for keeping UNM in the game during the 2nd half.

• Cosmo Springville, UT
    March 11, 2011 9:24 p.m.

• Scandrus Cedar Hills, Utah
    March 11, 2011 9:24 p.m.

Way to go Cougars!!! Good job shutting all the Haters up. Jimmer was amazing tonight, best College performance I have ever seen!

• SportsFan Orem, UT
    March 11, 2011 9:23 p.m.

Tough break for Gary and New Mexico, but it wouldn't have mattered. This was Jimmer's night!

• TrueBlue Orem, UT
    March 11, 2011 9:21 p.m.

Jimmer just put on one of the most spectacular performances EVER in college basketball.

Congrats Jimmer, and thanks for the memories!

Now check off another goal with a MWC Tourney Championship!

• Still Blue after all these years Kaysville, UT
    March 11, 2011 9:20 p.m.

Let's see, they lose a 6' guard and we're out two 6'9" guys. No complaints!! Jimmied, plain and simple.

• BlueCoug Orem, UT