Utah

Mormon church missionaries in Japan are safe

Comments

• Bill in Nebraska Maryville, MO
    March 14, 2011 12:17 p.m.

To MoJules: That is a good question as I'm sure that among the dead there are members of the Church. Church headquarters is probably amassing that information from the Stakes/District Presidents to ascertain that information. Regional representatives (Quroum of the Seventy) are also probably working with the Stakes and districts to get headcounts. It probably won't be known for sure for days or even weeks. Too many lives have been lost. I'm sure that in time those numbers will be known.

• MoJules Florissant, MO
    March 14, 2011 10:54 a.m.

OK, this is an LDS article and I am going to ask an LDS related question. I am happy that the missionaries are safe, I worry about a person that my in laws knew and his family. He is a member of the LDS church and I wondered what news the Church has about the members in Japan.

• MoJules Florissant, MO
    March 12, 2011 6:04 p.m.

Arizona, this is an LDS article about the LDS missionaries in an LDS owned newspaper, so the comments were based on that about the Lord protecting these missionaries. I would not be surprised if LDS members in Japan died, just like they have in many other areas of disaster. There is so much to feel sorrow for in the situation in Japan, it is tragic and my heart hurts for all those people, but it is nice to have a positive in this. We should all rejoice for all human life that survives a tragedy, like the miners this last year in Chile, I felt so much joy for their rescue and I have not doubt that the Lord blessed them.

• In Arizona Mesa, AZ
    March 12, 2011 4:30 p.m.

To Roberto: You say now is the time to recognize who is in charge? Does He only protect members of the LDS Church?

• JRJ Pocatello, ID
    March 12, 2011 10:43 a.m.

Now is the time to increase the donation to the humanitarian fund as much as possible. It is incredible to watch the natural disasters taking place in ever increasing numbers around the world and wonder who and what is next. The only place to be able to help is to be prepared individually and contribute all we can to the church to help those in need. Who knows when it will be our needs people are praying for.

• MoJules Florissant, MO
    March 12, 2011 10:13 a.m.

I woke up this morning to watch Fox News and they said that 9500 were missing in one town, I really began to worry about the missionaries where they had not heard for sure and where the epicenter was. So it was so wonderful to come to Deseret News and read that they are all safe and accounted for. I can only imagine the stress and turmoil their parents felt, until they were able to get word. I hope that our fellow members are also safe, but of course I am very sorry for the loss of life, home and property in Japan.

I do indexing for Family Search Indexing and the system is down right now and has not been running well, many people have complained and I said, that what is going on in Japan is much worse and that to not be able to do something for a few days, is better then no home for weeks and months.

• roberto Moses Lake, WA
    March 12, 2011 9:36 a.m.

Maybe I missed something..... All missionaries are well and acounted for. That is good news. How the powers that be got the information is secondary to the news. I think it is reliable and have NEVER been given a credible reason to doubt. It is easy to see who really is in charge. It is time we recognize His power. And I'm not revering to jimmer :-)

• jane Hereford, AZ
    March 12, 2011 9:20 a.m.

To AZobserver--Yes, there are wonderful things those ships can do--and will o in Japan, I'm sure. The sad thing about Haiti is the combination of things that have kept that nation from progressing. One of my family members is military and his unit was the first responder into Haiti. Sad what they saw. Then the efforts were harmed by the civilian people put in charge by our government. One pallet of supplies sent in to Haiti was addressed simply to "Joe". The military folks unloading it called back to Headquarters asking, "Who the heck is Joe?" Nobody had a clue.

If the government had let the miliary handle it, help would have been much more effective with less corruption and things would have gone where they should have.

And after saying all that, the LDS Church still seems to have the most cost-effective and efficient means of getting help to people. I notice on the news that the very things people need are the things LDS Humanitarian Services delivers--and things we are encouraged to store, also. Maybe we better start listening! If we have plenty, we can help our neighbors.

• MoJules Florissant, MO
    March 11, 2011 10:47 p.m.

mecr, the other thing that is really great about the Japanese is that they do not go and rob and damage places, they are respectful of other people's property.

I have never seen anything so unreal as the video of what happened in Japan today, water is a very powerful thing.

• K Mchenry, IL
    March 11, 2011 9:48 p.m.

Katrina was a hurricane and a flood. People should have been evacuated. New Orleans should have never been allowed to grow to that population due to the geographic traits of the area. Katrina had warning.

• Kathy. Provo, Ut
    March 11, 2011 8:01 p.m.

There are members all over with ham radios and many have emergency back up power for these type of events. We personally have marine batteries, generators and radios in cars that would last a long time after power was lost. We have emergency mobile antennas that can be deployed within a few minutes if we had to leave our base station at home. Ham radio operators have contests all over the world to practice using their gear, just had one this past weekend. Many ham radio operators have gray hair, so the younger generation needs to jump in and learn how to run the radios and other gear.

• overitnow murray, utah
    March 11, 2011 7:54 p.m.

i am disabled but i can do some things and would volinteer t ogo help if the church send people over there to help them

• mecr Bountiful, UT
    March 11, 2011 7:23 p.m.

I just saw at the news they interviewed an american living in Japan. He showed the 5 gallon bag he received when he got to evacuation center. That surprised me. It was days before the people in that stadium in New Orleans received water. They were talking about how well prepared Japan has been for this kind of disaster. Don't forget this was an 8.9 earthquake plus a tsunami. If it wasn't for the preparedness, there would be chaos. Fortunately, they were prepared.

And that's what the Church has been advising the members to do so.

• AzObserver Fredonia, Arizona
    March 11, 2011 6:40 p.m.

To worf: Our Navy ships can provide large quantities of clean drinking water and are able transport personnel and supplies including search and rescue teams faster and more effectively than any private or non-profit relief organization in the world. If the government can stick to what it does best and not just stand back and throw money, they will save lives and do more good when and where needed than anyone else can. I also do not see how this can be legitimately compared to Haiti. Japan has a strong government and is looking for help not handouts. Haiti had nothing but poverty and corruption . . . and hasn't changed much since the earthquake. There is a place for government assistance, and I think that we probably agree that its place is important, but must be limited.

• VA Saint Chester, VA
    March 11, 2011 6:14 p.m.

I am so grateful that all of our missionaries are safe, but I am continuing to pray for all in Japan suffering from this disaster. I do want to know if those in the Pacific Islands are okay...has anyone heard?

• Elder Dave Livermore, CA
    March 11, 2011 5:59 p.m.

Hope All is OK with All the Missionaries there in Japan and others too.

Earthquakes give NO warnings usually. It's like being Caught Off Guard.

I invite All to Pray for everyone that was affected by the Earthquake.

I know that the California Coastline is Also Earthquake prone. The last Big one to strike in Northern California Stopped the Third game of 1989's World Series game when the SF Giants and Oakland A's were playing for the top spot.
    It happened during the Pre-game minutes when the Whole World was watching because of the Baseball game.

Another Big Quake will be coming to California someday soon, and to metropolitan Utah soon too someday and Elsewhere. Are we ready??

This should be a Wake Up Call for everyone. Not only to be prepared
    for an Earthquake itself, but to Be Prepared for the possible end of our own Personal "Earth Life" if we happen to be in the wrong spot when the next
    Big Earthquake comes rumbling.

Lord Bless All those in Japan and elsewhere who are affected in this
    tragedy.

• Brother Chuck Schroeder A Tropical Paradise USA, FL
    March 11, 2011 5:01 p.m.

Re: vcsheffield - 4:16 p.m Iowa City, IA
    The Sendai mission alumni.....

Reply: Sendai mission alumni

All is well as far as I know. Koriyama zone elders are at the evacuation center. Honbu (Mission Home) is at the evacuation center. Ishinomaki is at the evacuation center. Morioka Elders, Kamisugi Elders and Sisters are safe. We could not get back to Sendai and had to turn back to Koriyama after 6 hours of driving. We have no phone contact. Thanks for your prayers. Love, President Tateoka. The Japan Sendai Mission is one of six LDS missions currently operating in Japan. In the Mission History section, Sendai Mission cities and meetinghouses are discussed in detail, as is the history of LDS Japan Mission boundaries and areas. Note: Effective July 1, 2010, the Hiroshima Mission was dissolved and absorbed into the Fukuoka Mission (Yamaguchi & Hiroshima Stakes) and the Kobe Mission (all other areas). This web site is NOT maintained by the mission, but is a place for returned missionaries to keep in contact with old friends, companions and things Japanese.

BEEN THERE ALREADY.

• vcsheffield Iowa City, IA
    March 11, 2011 4:16 p.m.

The Sendai mission alumni web page can be found by simply performing a google search of Sendai mission alumni.

• bobosmom small town, Nebraska
    March 11, 2011 4:12 p.m.

@ es723 Glad to know Laie is safe. My former missionary companion lives there.

Our prayers go out the the Japanese people in the aftermath of the horrible quake.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    March 11, 2011 2:49 p.m.

I hope our government stays out of the relief effort in Japan. Our country has many groups willing to help with work and donations. Much of the money donated to the Haiti earthquake victims were lost and they're still suffering.

• apache1 Phoenix, AZ
    March 11, 2011 2:34 p.m.

I am deeply saddened and stunned to see the scenes of horrific damage that has hit Japan due to the massive 8.9 earthquake and the devastating tsunami that swept over the area. I not only hope and pray for the members of the church who live in that beautiful country but I will keep in both thoughts and prayers ALL of the people who have suffered such a huge loss in both life and property.

• AlaskanLDS Juneau, AK
    March 11, 2011 2:20 p.m.

@Ironl
    Could you post the link for the Sendai Mission website?

@Brother Chuck
    In Haiti and Chile, we saw the Mission presidents rely on Sat phones to communicate with church headquarters after their earthquakes.

• IJ Hyrum, Ut
    March 11, 2011 1:44 p.m.

Are we seeing the continuing fulfillment of the scriptures? I do believe so. I know Japan would not qualify as a diverse place when it come to earthquakes, but just look at all the natural disasters we have experienced in just a short time.

• lronl Idaho Falls, ID
    March 11, 2011 1:17 p.m.

Here is some information I just saw on the Japan Sendai Mission website: "News from the Mission: March 11, 2011 Earthquake/Tsunami -- Webmaster Note: I received the following email from President Tateoka at 1PM MT:
    All is well as far as I know. Koriyama zone elders are at the evacuation center. Honbu is at the evacuation center. Ishinomaki is at the evacuation center. Morioka Elders, Kamisugi Elders and Sisters are safe. We could not get back to Sendai and had to turn back to Koriyama after 6 hours of driving. We have no phone contact. Thanks for your prayers. Love, President Tateoka"

• bilbo Mayer, AZ
    March 11, 2011 1:12 p.m.

HAM RADIO predates CB by decades.
    CB don't compare.

• Brother Chuck Schroeder A Tropical Paradise USA, FL
    March 11, 2011 12:40 p.m.

Re: NT - 11:30 a.m. March 11, 2011
    Springville, UT
    @Chuck

I don't know about how it is done outside of Utah or in Japan specifically, but I do know that the LDS Church has emergency communication plans in place. For example, in Utah there are networks of ham radio operators utilized to communicate needed information.

Reply: I have been a LDS Member for over 50 years, it's true that the LDS Church has emergency communication plans in place, BUT without power, and all contact down, cell phones, computers etc., how will they know, what's going on there. They won't be able to. No one thinks of that though. We know in Utah there are networks of ham radio operators utilized to communicate needed information, that's been around ever since they made CB Radios, but again, no one will hear that "breaker 19, breaker 19, you got a copy on me", when the towers are down and no power, unless one can swim, and get a 12 volt battery out of those cars that all washed away. Thanks for the reply, I know you meant well.

• es723 Laie, HI
    March 11, 2011 12:17 p.m.

@Jane - Laie is fine. Warning changed to advisory and all is well

• NT Springville, UT
    March 11, 2011 11:30 a.m.

@Chuck

Having said that, please - if anyone gets substantiated info about the status of the Sendai missionaries before the news publishes something, please post it here.

Thanks.

• Reasonable Person Layton, UT
    March 11, 2011 11:13 a.m.

It's wonderful that your church has missionaries there!

What a blessing it will be for the people of Japan, to see your young men and women helping out during this disaster. There's much they can do.

• Brother Chuck Schroeder A Tropical Paradise USA, FL
    March 11, 2011 10:47 a.m.

I don't wish-off any harm on anyone, but with all contact down, cell phones, computers etc., how will they know, what's going on there, by a message in a bottle?.

"The LDS Church continues to assess the status of its missionaries serving in the Japan Sendai Mission following a massive, magnitude-8.9 earthquake that hit off Japan's northeast coast."

That's what I want to know.

• washcomom Beaverton, OR
    March 11, 2011 10:44 a.m.

Terrible devastation. Even by Japan's standards, this is a horrific disaster. My thoughts and prayers go out to the people living in the earthquake and tsunami zones affected by these tremors.

• jane Hereford, AZ
    March 11, 2011 10:22 a.m.

Any word from Laie?

• mecr Bountiful, UT
    March 11, 2011 9:39 a.m.

My prayers witht the people of Japan. I hope they can hear from the missionaries soon and they are all safe.