Sports

Pac-10 Commissioner Larry Scott seeks greater national TV exposure

Comments

• Yner4Life Springville, UT
    March 11, 2011 11:24 p.m.

Pocy... works both way, so it didn't change the numbers at all.

Being an independent with a national fanbase will probably always be greater than the state's local fanbase suppporting the U. However, now that both are going different directions it would be reasonable to say the Utes might pick up a few BYU supporters as the rivalry dies down.

• pocyUte Pocatello, ID
    March 11, 2011 8:02 p.m.

Yner,

You have to remember, though, that not all LDS members or BYU graduates are BYU fans. I would be one who falls into that category.

• Yner4Life Springville, UT
    March 11, 2011 6:20 p.m.

I 'troll' because I'm always 'bitter and jealous'. Now that I've said that I feel so much better.

KH... "P.S. Nobody in the nation thinks that BYU's move to independence trumps Utah's move to the PAC 12 besides BYU fans."

I can't resist. I feel like a bug drawn to a bugzapper light... "It's so beautiful..."

Uh, what a silly statement... Isn't it about the fans, the people that pay or watch TV and support the schools, sponsors, etc.? By simple virtue of LDS members in the U.S. (aka fans), I believe those numbers trump your Ute fan numbers.

Unless I missed something I don't recall seats being removed from the MC and LES. BYU fills them up on a pretty regular basis, winning or losing seasons.

It's about viewership, money, and exposure. We will see how both programs fair after this next season.

Ducky and Mussy... I'm sending Kleenex to both of you. One of you is laughing to tears (like me), the other is seriously depressed and lacks some writer creativity.

• KH Holladay, UT
    March 11, 2011 6:11 p.m.

@Duckhunter,

Kind of like that 1-4 start for BYU last year? See I talk smack about what actually happened. (Facts) You talk smack about what you think will happen. And what you think will happen rarely happens.

• KH Holladay, UT
    March 11, 2011 6:02 p.m.

@Duckhunter,
    Kind of like BYUs 1-4 start last year?
    Does that Utah State game still sting?

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    March 11, 2011 5:46 p.m.

@bleeder

get back to us after that 1-4 start next year.

• mussingaround Palo Alto, CA
    March 11, 2011 5:45 p.m.

duck decoy

I'll be straight up honest. The reason that I troll this forum is that I am jealous of all of the national accolades that BYU has received. For decades, my Utes have set out to earn such respect, but sadly, it never came, and, now, it never will.

Since the announcement of our being consigned to perennial bottom dweller status in the PAC 12, I have gone through at least 200 boxes of kleenex, crying myself to sleep at night. All I really want is for someone to hug me. I am desperate for attention and need others to acknowledge me, to feel a sense of self worth.

• uteBusters Park City, UT
    March 11, 2011 5:29 p.m.

The Utes were nationally exposed three times last season.

The last thing the Utes need is more national exposure.

• mussingaround Palo Alto, CA
    March 11, 2011 5:00 p.m.

Duckhunterr impersonator

Every conference needs it's perennial bottom feeders to pad the records of the elite programs in the conference. Washington State welcomes the company.

• Ibleedcrimson Cottonwood Heights, UT
    March 11, 2011 4:27 p.m.

"I hadn't planned to post on a Ute article"

Do you mean the first time you posted? Or how about the second time?? Maybe it was the third time you were talking about...

at least be honest and admit trolling is in your blood just like DuckHunter and SammyG!!!

Go Utes!!

• spudlydoright McCammon, Idaho
    March 11, 2011 3:59 p.m.

Eastcoastcoug, don't bring Idaho into this. We had nothing to do with it.

• Dutchman Murray, UT
    March 11, 2011 3:47 p.m.

WA_Alum&Dad,

A couple of weeks ago you commented that nobody in your town of Marysville, WA had even heard of the University of Utah. Rather than waste your time ranting against the U of U here on these boards why don't you just go door to door in Marysville and rant against the U. You could kill two birds with one stone, educating the good people of Marysville and ranting against your favorite adversary, the University of Utah. You should also read Mathew Chapter 6. You know, the verses about loving your enemies.

• Duckhunterr Salt Lake City, UT
    March 11, 2011 3:32 p.m.

Ill be straight up honest, the reason that I troll this forum is that I am jealous of what Utah has accomplished by securing a Pac-10 invite. For years, my cougars have set out to earn such an invite, but sadly, it never came, and it never will.

Since the announcement, I have gone through at least 200 boxes of kleenex, crying myself to sleep at night. All I really want is for someone to hug me. I am desperate for attention and need others to acknowledge me to feel a sense of self worth.

Please, have pity on me my friends.

• Uteanymous Salt Lake City, Utah
    March 11, 2011 2:43 p.m.

Utah hasn't been relevant in anything besides football for a long time, so as long as the Utes continue to do well in football, they'll be fine.

• Teafortwo salt lake city, utah
    March 11, 2011 2:09 p.m.

I smell a lot of Pac-10 envy from the BYU faithful. Let's face it, the Utes just movied into the best overall conference in the country. And while there is no doubt that the basketball team is the pits right now, historically that has not been true. As for football, the Utes are already an elite program despite having the distinct disadvantage of not playing in a BCS conference. Poof! That disadvantage just went away. Where is BYU? Nowhere. The WCC in basketball? Please. And in football? BCS? Nope. Independent. Some advantages there, but in the long run, it is gonna be tough to play a schedule worthy of National Championship consideration. Oh, well. I am happy for the Utes. And I wish the Cougars well also.....

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    March 11, 2011 2:04 p.m.

@pebbles

You are perhaps the dimmest of all posters on here. No not everyone could go independent. Actually very few schools could do it successfully and utah is not one of the ones that could. You have to have a large fanbase, BYU has that and utah does not. You need to have a nationwide fanbase, BYU has that and utah does not. You have to field top programs in multiple sports, BYU does that and utah does not. You have to have a national network perceive you as valuable enough to cut an exclusive deal with you for millions of dollars per year, BYU has that and utah doesn't.

What BYU has done very few schools could do. Any school could go to the pac10 and gravytrain on the other schools there. That doesn't take any sort of anything to accomplish. Don't get me wrong about that either because it is a step up for utah from where they were but they haven't done anything that litterally any other school couldn't do also. If utah ever does win the pac10 and goes to the RoseBowl then get back to us about what theyve accomplished.

• Big_Ben Centerville, UT
    March 11, 2011 1:17 p.m.

Troll Police:

Is your post an attempt at stand up comedy? You were trying to be funny with irony right?

• Rock Of The Marne Phoenix, AZ
    March 11, 2011 1:14 p.m.

Dear Troll Police (ironic title), I havent posted on a BYU story since who knows when (last time I am sure it was positive). Go find a post and prove me wrong. Thing is Mr. Troll, this is story about Utah so once again you and your fellow fans are looking like hypocrites de jure. I don't care about your silly little team. My team is leaving them behind and from now on it will be one game a year just like Weber and USU. It's also laughable to act like going independent is anything near as good as being called up from the mid majors (a neighborhood your team still inhabits by the way). Any team in the nation can "go independent" but the truth is only silly BYU not wanting to be left behind had try to prove it was as worthy (total reactionary move). Please go away BYU fan/trolls, I really don't care to see you on U of U threads anymore with your ever present little brother attitude/insecurity.

• WA_Alum&Dad Marysville, WA
    March 11, 2011 1:14 p.m.

@Mormon Ute:
    Glad to know that you aren't one of the haters. I hadn't planned to post on a Ute article, but your characterization made me laugh out loud.

@RotM:
    Good to see that a Ute fan knows how to spell belittling, hypocrites, and condescending. Congrats on your use of punctuation as well.

Sorry--you kind of asked for that.

• KH Holladay, UT
    March 11, 2011 1:09 p.m.

@ TrollPolice,

Your main point in your post is that you think Utah fans are obsessed with BYU. Do you realize that you are on a Utah article, which means that you probably read the article, and you are now commenting on the Utah article about Utah fans. You are the one that is obsessed with Utah.

• TrollPolice Salt Lake City, UT
    March 11, 2011 12:54 p.m.

pebble of the marne

It's laughable that BYU-obsessed Utah trolls like you who constantly spam BYU articles would have the chutzpah to complain about BYU fans posting on a Utah article.

Utah fans are simply jealous that BYU may have trumped Utah's move to the PAC 12 by going Independent and signing an exclusive 8-year contract with ESPN.

As much as Utah fans try to pretend that Utah's move to the PAC 12 left BYU in the dust, Utah fans are still obsessed with BYU.

Why is that?

Could it be that Utah fans are worried that if BYU is successful as an independent, it could dwarf any accomplishments that Utah might have in the PAC 12?

Little brother syndrome is alive and well on the hill.

• Rock Of The Marne Phoenix, AZ
    March 11, 2011 12:42 p.m.

WA_Alum&Dad, give me a break, talk about the pot calling the kettle black. Look at this any and every other story about the UofU and you will see numerous posts from BYU fans like yourself belittling the UofU. You guys such hypocrites as your fans are some the most condescending around. Problem is when you get it thrown back at you act like little girls and claim persecution. BYU where the girls are girls and fans are too.

• KH Holladay, UT
    March 11, 2011 12:33 p.m.

@ WA_Alum&Dad,

That's very interesting, because I've received the same kind of treatment from BYU fans. Is it possible that it goes both ways? Is it possible that the ugliness of the rivalry could be BYU's fault as well as Utah's fault? Do you truly think that Ute fans are the whole problem? I agree with you that there are some Utah fans that only hate BYU. But I have also seen some of the most hateful words and actions coming from BYU fans towards Utah. The problem involves both sides. Stop drinking the byu kool-aid and have an objective opinion.

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    March 11, 2011 12:31 p.m.

WA_Alum&Dad,

You should do your homework before lumping me in with the BYU haters and the crowd you describe. My posts anywhere on the Desnews web site are always respectful of BYU or any of the Utes opponents. I have seen many BYU fans spew nothing but hatred on these comment boards, even in articles that have nothing to do with the rivalry. So don't try to play the holier than thou card on me. Doesn't fly.

FYI, where I sit in Rice-Eccles there are usually some BYU fans around us during the rivalry game. Other than some gentle ribbing by the Utes in the area, I have never seen the kind of poor behavior you and other BYU fans have described. I don't doubt that there are Ute fans in the stadium who are rude and crude, but don't try to steriotype and lump us all together. I would think any BYU fan or member of the LDS Church would have had enough of that to not try it on others.

• Rock Of The Marne Phoenix, AZ
    March 11, 2011 12:26 p.m.

Wow, little brother BYU fans are all over another Utah story like white on rice. To you Zoobs, it is really no concern as you are not in the PAC 12 so worry about. Besides, you have that great WCC (aka high school gym league) to worry about. Maybe someday you'll get into a real conference; just keep dreaming and believing and maybe one fine day, who knows.

• KH Holladay, UT
    March 11, 2011 12:24 p.m.

Duckhunter,

Please tell me what BYU has done lately to be a "powerhouse" football team. To use your words, "that is truly laughable". 7-6 last year with a loss to Utah State does not make your team a powerhouse. Any BCS wins? I don't think so. Any BCS appearances? Nope. Sorry to burst your bubble that you live in, but BYU is not a "powerhouse". Sure they won the NC almost 30 years ago by beating a bunch of nobodies and a 6-6 Michigan team, but like I said, that was nearly 30 years ago.

• WA_Alum&Dad Marysville, WA
    March 11, 2011 11:30 a.m.

@Mormon Ute:
    haters masquerading as BYU fans

Thats rich. I was one of the hordes of BYU students who come every year from out of state to Provo, thrilled to be there and happy to root for my team, completely unaware of the animus that blows from north to south along the I-15 corridor. At my first BYU-Utah game I was astonished to discover that apparently to the typical Ute fan, hating BYU was more important than cheering for their own team. It doesnt take more than a couple years of that to turn the nicest out of state BYU students into Utah despisers. We wouldnt presume to use the term hater. You guys own the patent on it.

It's too much to hope that Utah's move to the PAC would allow you all to free yourselves of your BYU fixations. Seriously-move on. If we could move BYU out of the state, would that help?

• HJC Pleasant Grove, UT
    March 11, 2011 10:33 a.m.

@Ratman
    Actually, BYU's other programs won't suffer. The WCC is a great basketball conference, with VERY nice cities (@KamUte) and a conservative group of partner schools.
    BYU has no conference affiliation in football, and therefore doesn't have to share TV money or bowl payouts... which means that the Vegas Bowl turns into a pretty decent payday, gravy on top of the ESPN $1 million per game.
    Boise State has proven that all you have to do to get into a BCS game is go undefeated - regardless of the competition. Considering BYU's easy schedule, I'd say they have a better chance at that than Utah has at going 8-4 in the PAC.
    Utah won't beat USC, UCLA, Stanford, Arizona, Oregon. Washington, Arizona State, Cal, Oregon State are all toss-ups. Only Washington State and Colorado are games Utah should win.
    As for basketball, PAC12 means nothing to Utah. They would be the doormat of the Big Sky Conference.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    March 11, 2011 9:14 a.m.

@kamute

I agree with most of what you say as the pac10 is definately better than being in the MWC. But as usual you had to add something that is laughably untrue.

"No more away games to play powerhouse or 2 for 1 schedules."

Utah never got "2 for 1 schedules" with any powerhouses. They got one and done only away schedules with the few powerhouse they played. No powerhouse has ever come to res and outside of the conference teams of the pac 10 that are now obligated to go there none ever will with the exception of BYU who will do it just for the rivalries sake.

utah has certainly moved up and improved their situation but most of you ute "fans" are just a little bit delusional as to your place in things. You truly are considered to be no more than washington st. in the grand scheme. You will actually have to do something to be considered any more than that.

But you do have the opportunity because you are in the conference.

• bribri86 Phoenix, AZ
    March 11, 2011 8:05 a.m.

It doesn't matter for BYU not to go to a conference with an automatic bid when it's the PAC-10 and the Big Joke (East) who's calling. It's a shame that Utah and TCU had to go to Lowly PAC-10 and the Big Joke (East) to get one. Wyoming could go to those conferences and competitively compete. Wyoming would be in contention to win the Big Joke (East). I like the Independent prospect, especially when the time needing the WAC crutch comes to an end.

• eastcoastcoug Danbury, CT
    March 11, 2011 7:26 a.m.

My fellow BYU fans are just uninformed and plain nuts for dissing the PAC 12. Everyone of us wishes BYU had gotten the invite. They play in front of the biggest audiences in the West, have the largest TV markets, recruit in cities where our best LDS athletes live, as well as some great non LDS. If you were HS star in Mesa, LA, SF, Seattle or Utah for that matter, where would you go to get the best exposure, coaching and competition? It's easy. Only those of you who live in Utah or Idaho wouldn't know what I'm talking about.

Going independent was the only option since we weren't invited to a real conference and we had to escape the MTN (too bad it didn't happen for Jimmer). Look for BYU to join some future conference re-alignment. This is only an interim plan.

• KamUte South Jordan, UT
    March 11, 2011 7:22 a.m.

Jealousy is such a lonely word.

Having a chance to play in a conference that receives an automatic bid to the Rose Bowl and an opportunity to play for a NC each year is something your team does not have. Even if our team does not make it, we still get paid.

If your team wins 11 games this year, you will be lucky to play in the Vegas Bowl. If Utah wins 6 games, they may play in that same bowl. Winnining 10 games could mean Rose Bowl and undefeated means NC opportunity.

No more towns like Laramie and ABQ. Mild weather and great cities with great food and great atmospheres. No more away games to play powerhouses or 2 for 1 schedules. Feeling privileged.

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    March 10, 2011 11:21 p.m.

I'm looking forward to seeing what the new TV deal will look like with the PAC-12 network and a strong national partner.

As usual, the Ute haters masquerading as BYU fans have to chime in here.

• crowntown1 Corona, CA
    March 10, 2011 11:02 p.m.

Are you saying irrelevent?? 3/4 of their football schedule is against Sun belt teams or whoever. CHA=CHING!

• nottyou Riverton, UT
    March 10, 2011 9:53 p.m.

You shouldn't want more exposure when the PAC10 is so very bad.

• Ratman Salt Lake City, UT
    March 10, 2011 8:49 p.m.

@HJC, Funny you would accuse the Utes of doing exactly what the cougs did - sacrifice all other programs on the altar of independence. Nice twist, anyway. Your PAC-12 envy is showing.

• Chris B's momma Idaho Falls, ID
    March 10, 2011 6:54 p.m.

The PAC is irrelevant in basketball this year. Adding Utah won't help that any . TV won't help either!

• HJC Pleasant Grove, UT
    March 10, 2011 5:53 p.m.

Doesn't even concern Utah. No one follows their basketball program anyway. They could give away tickets, and the Huntsman Center still wouldn't fill up.
    Funny how willing the U was to sacrifice all their other programs at the altar of football. It'll be a real reality check when the football team struggles against the other guys in the PAC12. Only Washington State will be an easy football win...

• Pavalova Surfers Paradise, AU
    March 10, 2011 5:07 p.m.

Hope a new deal allows you to watch your home team when they play. Last week when UW played UCLA at home in an important bball game, the Seattle area watched UA and Stanford. Where's the common sense in that. Since the new contract won't be in place till the end of this year, the SLC market may not get to see all the U games, especially if they're playing at the same time as another Pac12 opponent.

You may get to see WSU play Montana. Next year should be better though.

• pocyUte Pocatello, ID
    March 10, 2011 5:05 p.m.

Sammy

the division of revenue has already been decided. The revenue will be split evenly between the schools. The one caveat is UCLA and USC. If the revenue comes in less than 17 mil/year, they get a slightly higher cut (not to exceed 2 mill) than all the other Pac 12 schools.

One of Scotts big things was getting equal revenue sharing, like in the SEC, not the weighted garbage that the Big 12 does to placate Texas.

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    March 10, 2011 4:51 p.m.

Sammy,

Looks like your saw PAC12 acronym and it threw you into a tantrum again. Another timeout maybe?

Also sounds like you're connected at the hip with Scott ( I think Ducky is also a personal friend of Scott) regarding all the revenue issues. Thanks for the hourly update.

• Cali Coug Visalia, CA
    March 10, 2011 4:49 p.m.

The PAC has fallen behind the MWC, the WAC and WCC. The WCC doesn't even play football, and their football is better than the PAC.

• pocyUte Pocatello, ID
    March 10, 2011 4:31 p.m.

I love having Scott as the commissioner. An incredible step up from Hair Thompson.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    March 10, 2011 4:24 p.m.

I'm sure a better TV contract will come about. What I'm not sure of is how much and when the Utes would get any of it. Like the current contract and its graduated scale.

In a limited TV audience such as the Salt Lake market is do you think the PAC-10.2 would impose some other insult to the Utes?