Utah Jazz sign Marcus Cousin to 10-day contract

• Bugoff Houston, TX
    March 9, 2011 4:45 p.m.

@Doug 10. I have been on CJs case for years about a better shooting percentage. I have given up. I have decided that CJ does the best he can and he is what he is.

However, CJ's percentages are down from previous periods. Bell also went south a couple of months ago and that is whent the Sloan system started having big problems.

Even if Corbin's tweaks have made life more difficult for the SGs the Jazz have to have better shooting from that position and the SFs in the future. So I do not trying to give them an easy out. I am looking for a way to explain why they are so bad recently. They may be better than their performance for last 3 weeks but they are not a lot better.

I am sure there has to be upgrades at the SG/SF positions in both shooting and defense. That has been obvious from previous years.

I think the Jazz have a good front court. The back court needs some wise investment.

Harris as a non shooting PG has to have more shooting from the SGs/SFs. I do not see much in the draft.

• Bugoff Houston, TX
    March 9, 2011 4:36 p.m.

One theory suggested that Sloan/KOC delibertly had weak shooting SGs since DWill was a strong shooting PG. They did not want competition between the SG and the shooting PG.

Now they have a weak shooting PG and SGs.

I personally think Sloan tried to limit the outside shooting capability. If the Jazz had a lot of outside shooting talent most of the team would rely on that and not set the hard picks nor work as hard to get the ball inside.

There is a fine balance between enought efficient outside shooting and not enough to open up the inside.

The last thing the Jazz can handle is volume shooters (inefficient shooting). Poor outside shooting capability tends to give you that if the paint is jammed and going inside creates TOs.

This problem will fix but not this year. I think Corbin knows what needs to be done but he has to work with the players he has for the rest of this year.

You are going to see a lot more of KOC's finger prints on this team now that Sloan has retired.

KOC may (?) be smarter than some of us realize.

• Bugoff Houston, TX
    March 9, 2011 4:24 p.m.

@Johnson I appreciate your comments. We are all more than a little concerned about the future of the team. None of us have all of the answers.

I would welcome your perspective as you get to see the games live. I get a different camera angle on things since I don't and I can not follow every game.

There is usually more than one way to develop a contender. So diverse perspectives can be quite valuable.

If you post you do not expect everyone to agree with you so it is fine if you disagree. If you argument is compelling I may change my position.

• Captain L Provo, UT
    March 9, 2011 3:59 p.m.

RE Johnson72: Appreciate your comments, will look forward to positive comments from you.

I worry about some of, if not alot of the top prospects staying in school because of the possible lock out. I love to look forward to the draft and with a good possibility of a pick around #6 and if the Jazz keep playing like they are an other pick around 11, this draft could be very interesting and exciting but the lock out may make this draft very weak.
    We need a long athletic 3, that can shoot and defend. We could always use a defensive minded center that can rebound, block shots and at least be solid on offense. I'm not sure there is a center worth drafting. There are quit a few 3' in this draft if they come out. Barnes, Jones, Jones, Vesely, are some of the top possibilities.
    I will continue to hope CJ plays well but I'm not counting on it. Price I love some things about him but his poor shooting has to be replaced. We need some shooters, penetrators, creators.

• Jazz-Nation Lehi, UT
    March 9, 2011 3:25 p.m.

Sometimes all it takes a some new blood in the locker room to get guys re-focused. I hope that is the case here. The Jazz have 18 games left and are only 2 1/2 games out of the 8th seed. If this team can get into the playoffs this year that will be great experience for the rookies as well as a confidence booster for the Vets and especially the coaching staff.

Keep working hard! Don't quit!

GO JAZZ!

• Doug10 Roosevelt, UT
    March 9, 2011 3:10 p.m.

bugoff you give the 2 guards an easy out. You say they cannot hit with Harris as pg?????

Give Bell the ball as he spots up on the threepoint line where he wants not where he is told and he still can't hit. Cj is the same, can't throw it in the ocean. And you blame Harris or the offense? I think you are making excuses for them or their shooting coach.

I guess the Jazz will be able to cruise now they got a D league player.

• Jazzman72 Springville, UT
    March 9, 2011 1:36 p.m.

I agree with much that has been said. Millsap is better suited as a backup PF. I'd say start Al at C, Favors at PF and have Paul backup at PF. You could even shift Favors to C at times for a small line-up. AK would be worth it for $6-7 million/year. That frees up $10-11 million to get a couple of decent veterans for SG/SF and/or C. The draft will be a big key the next few years. Hopefully they get some quality players who can become part of their long-term core.

• Fuzzbrain Pleasant Grove, UT
    March 9, 2011 1:26 p.m.

The entire game is going to be easier for the Jazz when they get some players that can shoot outside jump shots. Then they should be able to run more effective pick and rolls, and hard cuts to the basket. Right now opposing teams are just off to the races every time the Jazz miss a long range shot. In Coach Corbin's system, I really think the Jazz are going to need to find and develop a shooting guard that is a big difference maker. Not just a role player, but someone who can actually create his own shot at the end of games. Al Jefferson is likely to be an all-star in upcoming seasons; I'd sure like to see the Jazz come up with a SG that could be our 2nd big time player.

• Iowa Jazz Fan 2 Cedar Rapids, IA
    March 9, 2011 12:54 p.m.

Yesterday, shortly after the ten day contract for Cousin was announced, ESPN's John Hollinger tweeted favorably about it. Commented that Cousin is a big with a good shot and smooth moves, and might even stick beyond the ten day.

Bottom line is, he was impressed with what KOC had done on this one.

• gazelle Murray, UT
    March 9, 2011 12:53 p.m.

Re Bugoff: As far as Ak I think the simplest explanation is that Deron liked the ball in his hands a lot. Just not a good mix of players. Not a right or wrong just different.

The bottom like for me is a lot has changed and it is going to take some time to adjust. I like the direction they are headed.

• Sokol Las Vegas, NM
    March 9, 2011 12:42 p.m.

Don't be too negative on Cousin...This guy can shoot, rebound, play defense, hit the free throw...The Jazz should keep this guy, if he plays as well as he did for his Houston college team. He could be a great pick up for the Jazz.

• gazelle Murray, UT
    March 9, 2011 12:42 p.m.

Re Bugoff: I like where you are going with your comments. For once somebody is looking at the big picture.

I don't think it was Sloan's system that failed. I think Deron refused to adjust. AJ needs the ball where Karl Malone needed the ball. Who's fault that was I am not sure. The Jazz have made that adjustment now and maybe yeah it is effecting everyone else. I mean how often did Boozer ever get the ball down on the low block?

Then I think what an insult that is to guys like Favors, Matthews or even Hayward that come in as rookies and seem to figure it out. Either way everyone should play defense. Never been CJ's game though.

• B Russ Ephraim, UT
    March 9, 2011 12:11 p.m.

Good comment Vince.

The coaches have worn Paul out. Should have used some of his minutes to develop his back ups. Your idea of making a 6th man of him with reduced minutes would solve several problems.

1- His health and injuries. ( If he regains his legs I think his rebounds per minutes played would go back up like they used to be. )

2- Our undersized front line.

3- The lack of development of the young bigs.

• The Great Houdini Rye, CO
    March 9, 2011 11:45 a.m.

I agree,give the youngsters the bulk of the minutes,Evans,Hayward,Fes,Cousin and Favors,this season is all but over,but I am very optimistic about next season.Lets see what we have,as far as Millsap coming off the bench,hey whatever helps our Jazz win.Millsap will give 100% regardless,also hope we can keep AK,but I think it`ll cost 8/10 mil per year,which he is worth playing in the right system,GO JAZZ!

• Vince the boonies, mexico
    March 9, 2011 11:12 a.m.

I have faith that coach Corbin and his staff will re-tool this wobbling team next year and be a competitor instead of an imposter. Paul Milsap for one needs to be a reserve player, playing the quality minutes not a starter playing 30 plus minutes nightly. He has shown "every" time that he has extended minutes his body wears down and he can't play that many minutes for a full season. What to do? Make him your best 6th man on the team and in the league! Quality minutes are the most important anyway. Remodel & overhaul this team coach. With the youngsyers we have, the draft picks, and trade possibilities we can jump right back in this league as a serious contender next season. Go Jazz (next season)!

• Jazz-Nation Lehi, UT
    March 9, 2011 9:05 a.m.

The Jazz are going to be a completely different team this time next year. I like our core guys, we just dont have the speed or strength at the 2-3 right now to compete. We have been getting burned on the perimeter all season long. The rookies will all get better and improve their game. Harris will take a bigger leadership role next season. The Jazz will probably make a move for a higher caliber guard and AK will only make Veteran minimum if the Jazz decide to bring him back at all? If Memo does not come back healthy, expect a trade or a buy out. For the people that are so high on Tomic, news flash, he is not very good. His numbers this year in Europe have been weak! When it is all said and done, I think Fesenko will have a better NBA career than Tomic. Tomic is 24 yrs 7'2 avg. 20 min 9 pts 5 rbs pg. IN EUROPE! That is not too impressive, this guy Cousin has better stats than Tomic, but the talent that we will get through the draft should make up for this wasted pick.

• Bugoff Houston, TX
    March 9, 2011 9:03 a.m.

Thanks for the comments. It is hard for me to follow every game so I see from one snapshot to another.

You may have a point on DWill as rumors started as the Melo thing heated up. However, he did play hurt and DWill alone does not explain the collapse of the defense. I am pretty sure there was friction between Sloan and DWill on how to get the offense playing better. I also think Sloan was just getting old and tired. Further, his tendency to let his players figure it out was a major problem.

The changes Corbin has made suggest that Sloan may have known what to do but for various reasons did not want to make those changes.

I think Greg made the right move for the long run. I do not think the Jazz over achieved in the first 2 months. I think they were a very capable team. Something caused them to stop playing as well.

I think the other teams learned how to defend this SG challenged team and it fouled up the offense. They also learned to attack the weak Pick and Roll defense.

I think Corbin will fix it.

• Johnson72 Salt Lake City, UT
    March 9, 2011 8:52 a.m.

The other night I said some rude things and for some time I have been negative to the Jazz and all the other posters, I would like to apologize to everyone for always being negative and I will stop being such a negative poster, Bugoff, Todd I am sorry.

• B Russ Ephraim, UT
    March 9, 2011 8:39 a.m.

Well now is the time for Hayward, Favors and Evans to step it up and show coach Corbin what they can do. Now is the time to earn his respect. Corbin is in need of some wins and some good solid play on both ends of the floor will get his attention. Hayward needs to shoot it when he has a good shot within the rythum of the offense. His percentages are not to bad he just needs to shoot it more. We need scoring from our wings and with the poor play of Bell and Miles there is an opportunity for Hayward to step in and get some playing time. Hope he can impress.

• jazz4ever San Mateo, CA
    March 8, 2011 11:29 p.m.

(interesting choice of name considering you have asked for thoughts! :) )

Anyway...heres my take on your poser.
    I think D-will quit on Sloans system rather than the system failing. I could see it in his play... he was not as aggressive or passionate. Why? Probably only he can answer and we can only speculate. a) (my pick) he could see that al trade was not enough to make them go deep in the playoffs. b) he saw all the big movement out east and wanted a piece of that action in a big city. c) he got a feeling about the impending trade much earlier than it happened and started coasting.
    AK maybe felt the reduction in d-wills play..and tried to compensate by playing harder or he just felt healthier.

Ty seems to keeping the jazz system. What I still miss are the solid pick and roll plays of old. Al is not the guy for that. I hope D-favors will be.

• Anonigma Murray, UT
    March 8, 2011 11:06 p.m.

Don't get too excited about Marcus Cousins. He's potential, not proven. His size is a plus, but his shot selection seemed awful from the youtube vid that I saw
    Not much of a defender, good athlete, but not really sure how he'll fit into the Jazz.

I was really hoping for a 3 gaurd from D-League, but whatever

• Bugoff Houston, TX
    March 8, 2011 10:57 p.m.

I saw stats today on the Jazz players by month. I will not bore you with the stats but DWill played like a star in months 1 & 2 and like a regular player in months 3 & 4.

It may not be wise to blame DWill for months 3 & 4 as his stats may simply reflect the fact that Sloan's system just was not working. He seems to be doing pretty well in NJ.

However, AK's stats were just the opposite of DWill's. Mediocre in 1 & 2 and very good in 3 & 4.

I find that interesting.

Any thoughts?

Why did the Sloan system falter and collapse? What went wrong and why could Sloan not fix it?

Corbin has fixed part of it by getting AJ going and Millsap playing with AJ.

• Bugoff Houston, TX
    March 8, 2011 10:52 p.m.

It is easy to jump on CJ and Bell (I have). However, the streamlined system may not be helping them get good shots or may be actually hurting them by forcing them to take bad shots.

The D is another matter. But bad jump shots lead to transition problems. NYK killed the Jazz and played their game all night.

I do not want to push this too hard but it may be wise to see how CJ and Bell play when Harris has all of the offense running the way it is designed to run. The Jazz will be a lot harder to defend then and CJ and Bell may be taking much better shots. Hence their shooting percentages will improve and the transition D will also improve.

It is easy to forget the Jazz run a complex system. It is easy to blame one or two individuals who are under performing. However, it is difficult to tell if the under performance is individual or due to changes in the system.

Corbin and Harris need to be assessed after this year is over. The same may be true for the SGs.

• Bugoff Houston, TX
    March 8, 2011 10:44 p.m.

Corbin has said that he has "streamlined" the offense for Harris and that Harris is picking it up pretty rapidly.

However, he also said that when the other team makes a defensive adjustment, the Jazz try to adjust in the huddle, but things are not going smoothly as Harris does not know all of the offense yet.

That speaks volumes about the current Jazz problems.

1. Corbin knows what adjustments to make but the team can't implement them yet.

2. Harris (and the team) will get much better as Harris learns all of the options in the offense (probably next year).

3. It would be wise to give both Corbin and Harris time to get the team running smoothly so it can adjust on the fly during a game.

4. Corbin has AJ playing well and also has AJ and Millsap playing well together. That is something Sloan could not do.

5. The fact that Harris is running a "streamlined" offense may be impacting the play of CJ and Bell.

6. The "streamlined" offense is focused on the bigs. It may be hurting the guard play.

7. Bell and CJ may be better than they appear.

• Jazz-Nation Lehi, UT
    March 8, 2011 9:21 p.m.

Maybe the kid can earn a roster spot. This Jazz team is rebuilding so you never know?
    Keep working hard, go Jazz!

• Bugoff Houston, TX
    March 8, 2011 9:18 p.m.

The Jazz are a mash unit. The injuries to Millsap and AK are major problems.

• Dolly Sandy, UT
    March 8, 2011 6:42 p.m.

Who? What? My head is spinning! Whatever works! I'm not giving up, I just hope "they" are not giving up. So many changes, so many scenarios...Whatta test for us fans! I really think most of us will hang in there, no matter what. Go Jazzboys!!!