Sports

BYU basketball: Which BYU team will show at tourney?

Comments

• CougarKeith Roy, UT
    March 8, 2011 1:54 a.m.

Who can see the games? I dumped the dish the day after the National Championship!!! NO MORE MOUNTAIN FOR ME!!! I HATED THAT NETWORK, THEY STINK! I'll have my radio on, and I'll keep checking the scores all day through the tourney! I can't handle the Mountain West TV Network! Glad to be rid of it! I think we'll be ok through the tourney as long as we don't have to play new mexico!

• PerfectCougar Payson, UTAH
    March 7, 2011 10:49 p.m.

As a BYU fan who attended the game against USU and has watched the AGGIES play a number of games on the tube, they are more than good enough for the tournament. They would win at least the first round game. They are not just good enough to get in, they will compete well when they do play.

• PerfectCougar Payson, UTAH
    March 7, 2011 10:46 p.m.

Hartsock is a tremendous player. He can shoot, defend, block shots and make the defense work. He does all the little things that do not show up in the box score. He is the inside comparison to Emery defensively. If we go small on offense, he will continue to set high picks and limited shots. he is still leading the team in 3-point percentage.

• PerfectCougar Payson, UTAH
    March 7, 2011 10:42 p.m.

Jimmer did not get more touches in the Wyoming game. More touches is not a goal as Jimmer takes the ball down each possession and can shoot as much as he chooses.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    March 7, 2011 7:52 p.m.

I laugh to think so many of you actually think the loss of Bradon Davies won't effect the Y in MWC or NCAA tournament. Brandon was 6'9" and very athletic. A good offensive rebounder and a definite presence inside for the Y. Without Brandon BYU would have won 10 less games this year and would have never beaten SDSU twice. A player doesn't have to score 25 a game to be a difference maker and the reason Jimmer got so many open looks was because of Brandon inside and the fact that teams had to respect BYU's inside game rather than just crowd the 3-point line and double team. Ask Jimmer what he thinks of the loss of Brandon - any great perimiter player like Jimmer will tell you he is only as good as his big guys allow him to be. BYU is going be to eaten alive by teams in the tournament inside I hate to say it buy Jimmer is going to have to work twice as hard for his shots.

• crowntown1 Corona, CA
    March 7, 2011 5:51 p.m.

One and done in the first round.

• ExecutorIoh West Jordan, UT
    March 7, 2011 4:57 p.m.

I love statistics and on that I noticed that over the last 10 games Abouo was averaging less than 23 minutes. Collinsworth, before his concussion, was averaging 26 minutes. At the same time Davies was averaging over 30 minutes of game time. If you expand out the minutes so that the statistics are extrapolated over a consistent 40 minutes, Abouo outscores Davies on average 21pts to 14. Collinsworth out-rebounds Davies 11 to 10. If you split Davis minutes between Abouo and Collinsworth, BYU should be just fine. They may even score more points with Abouo getting more playing time, statistically (and demonstrated on Wyoming).

• worf Mcallen, TX
    March 7, 2011 4:34 p.m.

The Cougs will run hog wild and hedge themselves to a tournement championship. They're grade will exceed a B and propel them to the big dance. Mark it down.

• scott Alpine, UT
    March 7, 2011 3:53 p.m.

CougFaninTX

The WCC and WAC conferences also use the same format.

Only the MWC is so brain dead as to hold the conference tournament on the home court of the same team year after year and not give any real advantage to the top seeds.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    March 7, 2011 3:32 p.m.

Well one things for sure - the team that shows up WON'T have Brandon Davies and will be undersized inside. So, it's pretty easy now to predict how the Y will do in the MWC and NCAA tournaments unless Jimmer can average about 60 a game. BYU will not get by SDSU or New Mexico in the MWC so their seeding in the NCAA tournament isn't going to be too good. The eastern teams ALL have great inside guys and are very athletic so I would say you would be pretty safe in predicting that the Y's season only has maybe 4 games left (max).

• Big Hapa Kaysville, UT
    March 7, 2011 3:07 p.m.

Da the post Davies team ! Let go of the past and live in the now, regroup and playball or go home it is that simple.

• CanDo Perry, UT
    March 7, 2011 12:59 p.m.

Three more games with the mountain and then we are free!!! Now THAT is somthing to celebrate!!!

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    March 7, 2011 10:46 a.m.

I really like how they set-up the MWC bracket on the women's side, where the #1 and #2 see get a bye on Thursday. I'm sorry, but I'm not excited about watching BYU beat up on the Wyoming / TCU winner one more time. BYU and SDSU should get a bye on Thursday. Hopefully the WCC will set up their conference bracket to really reward the top two teams for their hard work and record during the regular season.

Anybody notice that BYUtv has been broadcasting a couple of WCC games the past couple of weeks? Interesting?

• moodyblue77 Provo, UT
    March 7, 2011 10:42 a.m.

A second round game with CSU or New Mexico would be a huge hurdle for the Cougars. Alford can't get his team up for Utah, but they're always up for BYU. And Ogide is such a fine player that the absence of Davies will make a big difference. CSU is playing to get into the NCAA and so is New Mexico. If they don't win the mwc tournament, they're out. They are hungry and dangerous.

Still, if Emery, Abouo, Hartsock, and Collinsworth stay consistently good for each game, every game will be winnable.

This team is still 7-1 against teams in the tournament according to Lunardi. Still a number 2 seed.

I am looking for the Utes to come out fighting and take down Vegas in the first game of the tournament. I think they have one more win left. They can slavage the season with a strong run. Save Boylen's job.

• scenic view Baltimore, MD
    March 7, 2011 10:28 a.m.

TrueBlueAggie

If I were an Aggie fan, I'd be worried about the Aggies just getting to the NCAA tournament. Most of the prognosticators have the Aggies on the outside looking in if the Aggies don't win the WAC tournament.

BYU is a lock for the Big Dance. The only thing to be determined now is seed.

USU will probably end up in the NIT, if the Aggies don't get an automatic bid.

That ugly loss at Idaho made the Aggie's at-large bid chances very slim.

The Aggies are good enough that they should make the NCAA regardless, but the WAC is such a weak conference this year that the Selection Committee may penalize the Aggies if the committee has to accept an undeserving team from the WAC.

• IDC Boise, ID
    March 7, 2011 9:48 a.m.

The conference tournament will be tough after the first round. SDSU is obviously good, CSU is tough inside, UNLV has homecourt advantage, NM seems to have a direct line to BYU's achilles heel. Can't wait to see the games. Go Cougs.

• Independent Henderson, NV
    March 7, 2011 9:37 a.m.

I'd like to see BYU find a way to beat New Mexico, and I'd like to see SDSU find a way to beat BYU. It just seems right.

• DEW Cougars Sandy, UT
    March 7, 2011 8:44 a.m.

JImmer and Jax won't let us down and Abouo will follow. As for Hartsock (I hear foot injury) please refocus like you did against SDSU.

• helpisontheway Boise, Id
    March 7, 2011 8:40 a.m.

Wyoming was not the real test. At home with 22,700 it should have been a win for the MWC leader. The real test will be for BYU to win in the second round of the MWCT against Colorado St without Davies and then in the final against Sd St or Unlv, any fan that thinks this will be an easy road with out Davies is truly delusional.

The one benefit from this is now Jimmer will get even more touches. As a college basketball fan Jimmer is a pleasure to watch.

• Striker Omaha, NE
    March 7, 2011 8:29 a.m.

The pick is for UNLV to win the tourney each year, no matter their seed. That homecourt is so huge. My dream is for BYU to defeat UNLV in the final and have the last permanent laugh as a member of this league. Beating UNLV on their own court in this tournament is what I'd like to see happen. I don't really care about anything else that goes on.

• badlandscougar great plains, sd
    March 7, 2011 7:58 a.m.

davies was a part of this team and although he would contribute, it was up to the team as a whole, to win or lose. byu has all the speed and talent to compete with anybody and win. waiting on you. go byu!!

• 3grandslams Iowa City, IA
    March 7, 2011 7:30 a.m.

Go Cougs! Love the attitude. I also love how the teams and fans have embraced Brandon Davies! Let's just keep playing hard and making buckets!

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    March 7, 2011 6:53 a.m.

Well... weren't we picked third before the start of the season? So now if the talking heads that know, or should know better, are picking the new BYU to not win the tourney, I can live with that.

If we were more generous, it might be good to "let" one of the bubble teams win the tournament so they get into the dance too. But I think this is not a time to be generous.

Our opponents WILL attack our apparent weakness, it's time to be equally single minded. Go cougs! One game after another, one shot after another. A basket doesn't require a rebound. Just make 'em baby! Just win!

• The Rock Federal Way, WA
    March 7, 2011 6:46 a.m.

BYU lost their focus against New Mexico. BYU also shot very poorly against them in The Pit. I look forward to seeing BYU defeat UNM in the tournament. They have unfinished business with them.

Brandon Davies was a great player and will return to the hardwood at BYU I am sure. He only played 24 minutes a game on average (foul trouble).
    Somebody once said; "Grave yards are filled with indispensable men."

Go Cougars!

• Te Amo Salt Lake City, UT
    March 7, 2011 6:37 a.m.

Well, what's new, They always find a way to blow it.

• IA Cougar West Des Moines, IA
    March 7, 2011 6:25 a.m.

The worst part about this whole article is the information at the end that states Thursday's game will be on the mtn. I was celebrating after the Wyoming game thinking how blessed we are to never have to watch regular definition TV for BYU again. Not so. I can't get rid of it quick enough! Fortunately, the rest will most likely be broadcast by CBS C or VERSUS-HD.

GO COUGS!

• yarrlydarb Ogden, UT
    March 7, 2011 6:24 a.m.

Hey, Call, you ask, "BYU basketball: Which BYU team will show at tourney? The team that has won 28 and lost three!

Enough said.

• OHIOBYUFan Fairborn, OH
    March 7, 2011 5:01 a.m.

The psyche of a team was displayed last Wednesday and then again on Saturday. I think BYU will continue to play like they did on Saturday knowing what they've got to play with and all. But I wish Hartsock would step up and do more. He's like a sleeping giant just doing what he needs to to get by. He should score twenty plus points a game in my book, but he doesn't attack the backboard, he just waits for things to come to him. I hope Abouo plays like he did Saturday in every game from now on--the Cougs WILL win!!

• TrueBlueAggie Logan, UT
    March 7, 2011 2:21 a.m.

They do not have enough depth for the loss of Davies and will lose one in conference tourney or first round...Though I am not a fan of BYWHO Jimmer is legit.

• SJ Bobkins Gilbert, AZ
    March 7, 2011 12:54 a.m.

Jeff I think you're losing it. To win 28 while losing just 3 implies an amazing level of consistency. To ask the question: "Which team will show up" may catch the eye of a number of Cougar fans, however it makes no sense.
    I doubt any rational person failed to understand why BYU lost to the Lobos. Personally, I was in shock with my head spinning with the turn of events from Sat to Tues. I don't know if I could have played with heart the next day. I couldn't even read a newspaper watch ESPN or look at my Twitter account, (Cougarblue), and I'm just a long time fan.
    The BYU team that has played all year will step up minus the most important inside piece, for any MWC or NCAA games. If Noah can leave the lows and start moving up the shooting well side to his college-long inconsistency, the absence of that inside part will be less. This team will be the 4/5's of the same team that has played the entire year.

• Tommy2Shoes Lehi, UT
    March 6, 2011 11:48 p.m.

You should have seen them play in the 2nd half of the Wyoming game. Truly amazing. They played with true grit. That's the team we'll see for the remainder of the Jimmer and Jackson show. Gone was the emotionally drained and shell shocked Cougars from Wednesday. They are back!

• BigRich Orem, UT
    March 6, 2011 11:40 p.m.

Go get 'em Cougs. You're the best!

• AK Cougar Palmer, AK
    March 6, 2011 11:27 p.m.

The Cougar team with passion, excitment and determination will rule this MWC tournament, one game at a time.

Go Cougars