Greed is no respecter of persons; Y grad., convicted felon shares her cautionary tale

• l.cee Ridgefield, WA
    June 6, 2012 5:02 p.m.

Good job Deseret News. In our area, several people have been charged and some convicted for embezzling from organizations like Little League. Yep--greed was the basis. Rationalization joined in, too. What a waste of a life for those that take the downward plunge.

• very concerned Sandy, UT
    June 6, 2012 1:18 p.m.

To Menace:
    I agree with your statement, *All groups have members who do bad things. To claim one group does not have any members who do bad things is silly.* But I hope no one uses cases like this one to criticize/generalize that the Church and it's members are dishonest, or that the Church teaches anything but honesty and integrity. See Doctrine and Covenants 1:30, which says *. . . the only true and living dchurch upon the face of the whole earth, with which I, the Lord, am well pleased, fspeaking unto the church collectively and not individually— *

Really, none of us measure up to the perfection test in this life, except one, Jesus Christ Himself.

• Rifleman Salt Lake City, Utah
    June 4, 2012 11:41 a.m.

Re: MenaceToSociety Draper, UT
    "I Mormon friend of mine is in prison for stealing well over a mil."

You need to chose your friends more wisely. Depending on circumstances the LDS Church excommunicates members convicted of felonies. Perhaps you should revise your claim to say "an ex-Mormon friend of mine ....".

• staypuffinpc Provo, UT
    June 4, 2012 9:37 a.m.

@Trooper55, first off, your post didn't seem that hard-hearted; you were quite understanding, it would seem. Second, I commend you for your integrity, but recognize that everyone's temptations may differ. I would say that if you are a trooper, that which you have been entrusted with is power and authority over the law. As a trooper, did you ever speed unnecessarily? Did you ever pull someone over simply b/c you had a quota to meet and it was the end of your shift? Did you ever pull someone over for speeding, and then speed away yourself, with no reason to have done so? Did you ever use the patrol vehicle for something other than work, justifying its use? Have you treated those you come into contact with as guilty before innocent, with no evidence for your supposition?

Dishonesty exists in many forms and embezzlement is that which a bookkeeper is often confronted with. The reason we may hear of so many teachers having inappropriate relationships with minors may be b/c they're entrusted with caring for minors, and some wrongly give way to their temptations. What are you most confronted with most frequently?

• Trooper55 Williams, AZ
    June 2, 2012 10:51 a.m.

I know this will sound hard hearted, but these are just my beliefs. I was raised well to and chose my life as an law enforcement officer which paid nothing like what she made a year and I went through a hard divorce and was in major debt for years and never though about doing crimmal acts to have more money. Here you have a person that making good money and then took a trip and it was charged to the company. Her and her husband lived the good life and still she chose to steal from the company she worked for and then finally wanted to get honest and payed her time in jail and paying back the money she owes, this is very noble. Her family has paid the highest price for her actions and my heart does go out to them. I hear about the honor code at BYU, and just wonder how they talk that and they go by it, but not after leaving college. I went to Unversity of Texas and Williams and Mary College and haven't strayed from the way I was taught going to church and by my parents.

• peter Alpine, UT
    June 2, 2012 5:48 a.m.

I've learned to trust nobody with money, especially not the government. I've lost money three different times to supposed people I trusted soley because of their religious, family background--foolish. Trust no one. These are hard lessons to learn.

• Culture of Rationalization Salt Lake City, UT
    June 1, 2012 11:56 p.m.

Without commenting specifically on Diann's situation, I would like to point out how imperative it is for parents to be not just good, but as vigilant as they can possibly be when teaching their children. I had decent parents as well but ended up doing something I sorely regret and which, as with Diann's case, has had lasting effects on others. Any time we have *any* other focus that gets in the way of living the Gospel completely, we can rationalize our actions down the path to something awful.

As a parent now, my wife and I act swiftly to counter any ideas our children have that might lead them off the "straight and narrow". And, again from experience, I believe a parent's responsibility does not end with children leaving home, but continues for as long as we live; we will always have a certain number of years experience ahead of what our children are going through, to help them with situations they may not have previously encountered. Our continued concern for them can be the difference in them succeeding each time or not.

• Dixie Dan Saint George, UT
    June 1, 2012 4:00 p.m.

Great article but it left several unanswered questions. Did her husband get a temple divorce? Since she was a convicted felon, did she keep her membership? If not, is she back in the church?

• OlpuebloguyInWyo Evanston, WY
    June 1, 2012 12:16 p.m.

The follow-up story ought to be about those who were affected....what is their story as victims. The husband, the parents, etc.

Great article. I sent it to our Corporate Audit Manager.

• Ms Molli Bountiful, Utah
    June 1, 2012 9:46 a.m.

Greed, envy and pride causes most people to get into too much debt. I think it is just as criminal to borrow money to finance the purchase of something and not pay it back -- many are in that situation now and are expecting the government to bail them out (whether it be a home they shouldn't have purchased, credit card debt, etc.). I suppose some of these people have been bailed out by family in the past. Now they are looking to a deeper pocket to bail them out of their deeper debt.

• rlsintx Plano, TX
    June 1, 2012 7:40 a.m.

Props to the lady for making something good come of it in the aftermath.

• AntelopeValleyUte Palmdale, CA
    May 31, 2012 8:35 p.m.

Good article! The problem I have is when some religious people who think they can do no wrong, and are actually doing wrong, refuse to admit their faults and are in complete denial. Some would even go so far as to defend a child of theirs after their child committed a crime and there is solid evidence to support it. Instead of showing their child tough love and making them pay the consequences like a good parent or guardian should, they find ways to bail their child out of trouble. For those who think they are religious and are devout Mormons or Christians, what examples would this be setting for those who are searching Jesus Christ? This article is a great example of what this woman telling her story (confessing, admitting her faults in life), but others who are religious will not do...admit their faults in life. Like my dad use to tell me, it doesn't take a real man to make babies, but have the guts to admit when he's wrong and take up responsibility for his mistakes. That's sign of a real man.

• aware Babb, MT
    March 9, 2011 12:00 p.m.

I applaud Diann for owning up to her crime and taking total responsibility. Her great upbring and family finally made it clear to her she could no longer continue the charade. I am cheering for her and her future, may it be bright and may she be given chances to show her true self. The story is all too true and painfully, I have witnessed it. An individual I am aware of has done the exact same thing, yet this individual continues to this day to live the "greed/deceit" and holds and continues to hold high offices in the Church -including Ordinance Worker, seemingly without guilt or conscience. Diann has confessed - made as much as possible restitution - shares her story to warn others... what about the one I know? What is their fate! You may ask why don't I do something... it is only my word against theirs, and since they continue to fool others - who would win this round? Not me obviously.

• Utes Fan Salt Lake City, UT
    March 9, 2011 10:39 a.m.

Read "Approaching Zion" by Hugh Nibley.

Enough said.

• Max Syracuse, NY
    March 9, 2011 9:52 a.m.

Thank you SJ Bobkins. VERY well said! I have been trying to say many of the same things you did but the Des News does not seem to be interested in printing critical comments to this article. I am glad yours got through.

• pat1 Taylorsville, UT
    March 9, 2011 8:10 a.m.

Thanks for this article. We all need to not fall into the trap of rationalization. What a sad story!

What does she do for a job right now? I assume she is earning some money in order to pay back what she owes.

• C1 Saint George, UT
    March 8, 2011 8:48 p.m.

I grew up in Preston Idaho and Diann Cattani's mother was my high school English teacher. Diann was a little older than me and I've never known Diann, but her mom is a truly classy lady - the kind of teacher that changes lives. To this day I clearly remember the way I felt when Ms. Cattani took us through Dostoyevsky's "Crime and Punishment" and "The Brothers Karamazov".

Having read this article, that seems so appropriate now - themes of justice and mercy. Diann is lucky to have such awesome parents. I know from my English class that her mother's love comes from the heart.

• SJ Bobkins Gilbert, AZ
    March 8, 2011 4:14 p.m.

"warning everyone from college students to CEOs about the slippery slope of rationalization and that greed is no respecter of people even upstanding, moral Christians"

The pair is still missing the point when they use terms such as: slippery slope, no respecter, warning others. This isn't a communicable disease you can pick up if you don't carefully wash your hands or find yourself in the life of a crook, when you wake up one morning. You make a choice to cheat, and then every other time you cheat again. It's not BEWARE, This can GET you Even If You Do All The Outward Signs of Being a Christian, Good Jew or Ethical Humanist. Regardless of your upbringing, some people decide to cheat and steal, the best message is one in which you stress what you can lose if you start to play this game. Leave out all the religion and other related stuff.
    This woman still has good taste, judging by the Nordstrom shirt, she looks nice as such men will overlook much of her past. I hope she stays honest and no longer justifies.

• 2020 Herriman, UT
    March 8, 2011 2:10 p.m.

TO: MenaceToSociety
    I wouldn't sweat the, "Mormons don't do these kinds of things," comment. Right or wrong, that was the FBI agent expressing his opinion on the reputation of members of the church. It wasn't the writer of the article making a statement. Everybody knows LDS people that have ended up doing some awful things, especially if you live in Utah. That being said, I think it is fair to say that the general perception of members of the church throught the world is that, "they don't do those types of things."

• MenaceToSociety Draper, UT
    March 8, 2011 12:14 p.m.

The whole Mormons don't do these kind of things is quite bothersome. I Mormon friend of mine is in prison for stealing well over a mil. There are plenty of other examples as well.

All groups have members who do bad things. To claim one group does not have any members who do bad things is silly. Utah county after all is the fraud capital of the country.

• EgbertThrockmorton Layton, UT
    March 8, 2011 10:47 a.m.

Excellent article about a person who decided that character and integrity is worth far more than personal greed. I sincerely hope the majority of our state politicians read this article and take action on themselves.Kudos to Ms. Cattani for having the guts to stand up and be counted,to try and make amends as much as possible. Shows the "real" person. It's about time DesNews started having quality well-written pieces.

• Liberal Ted Salt Lake City, UT
    March 8, 2011 10:09 a.m.

Greed has overtaken even the poorer people in this nation. They're no longer happy with having a roof over their head and food. Now it's an entitlement mentality, that they are owed cable television, money for cigarettes and beer etc.

Greed is an issue for every class of Americans. To exclude any one group would be wrong.

Look at our political leaders and their greed! They no longer are happy with providing water, roads, sewers, education. Now they're entitled to trips across the world to look at cable cars, they feel they have to spend and borrow beyond the means of the taxpayers.

The president feels he can buy everything for everyone. However, we can't afford it. That is some serious greed this president has. It's not generosity or robin hood. He is greedy and doesn't care that he will destroy everyone he is supposably saving.

• washcomom Beaverton, OR
    March 7, 2011 9:43 p.m.

We may forgive the wrong, but people forget that there are consequences also connected to the wrongs that are made. Diann is living proof that recompense is extremely hard, but in the end, worthwhile.

Madoff should take a lesson from Diann, and realize it wasn't the banks that contributed to his ponzi scheme, but he didn't face reality and check himself for his own morals or guilt. Whatever pricked Diann's heart to turn a wrong around, that is what will get her to have a bit of peace in her life.

• Anti Bush-Obama Washington DC, MD
    March 7, 2011 10:43 a.m.

Many Politicans from both major parties are doing what she did at a much larger scale. But their secret pact that they made with each other makes them immune to the consequences.

• Two Cents Springville, Utah
    March 7, 2011 10:42 a.m.

A great read. I'm impressed that Diann turned herself in and is taking every step to try to fix what she had done (including making payments to the company). You don't often hear that.

Thanks for the reminder too, that we have to be careful not to justify and rationalize that we somehow "deserve more." Especially when companies are not giving raises, reducing benefits, charging more for insurance, etc. Beware the grey area!

• Aggie Fan South Jordan, UT
    March 7, 2011 9:53 a.m.

What an amazing story, and from the sounds of it a success story. Great job for facing your Boss and owning up to your mistake. Such a strong person. How many of you would be able to own up to something this big and coming completely clean? That takes a real Woman! Keep spreading the word!

• azgal Buckeye, AZ
    March 7, 2011 8:47 a.m.

"There's no right way to do wrong"

I love this last line of the article. Thank you for printing this story. Thank you Diann for having the courage to share.

• bigmac Murray, Utah
    March 6, 2011 9:00 p.m.

What a great article. I made the same mistake as Diann. It is so easy to lose focus on what is important in life. Greed and entitlement are the down fall of many people including myself. People need to be on guard all the time it is so easy to fall into this trap. I have hurt my family, church and freinds, who I realize now are the most important things in my life. Good luck Diann, keep spreading the warning.

• nayajja` Ephraim, UT
    March 6, 2011 4:19 p.m.

In my career as an attorney, I have seen this story played multiple times, by good people who slid ever so gently from good to criminal. One's misdeeds were discovered after he was found in a hotel room with a bullet through his head and his hand on the gun; he had stolen and squandered client trust funds. I represented one of the clients trying to clean up the financial repurcussions. One was one of the most prominent attorneys in the city. One was an attorney I knew, a great guy, a boyhood friend of my wife. One was a financial planner. A couple (but none of these listed above) seemed to be crooks from the beginning and crooks to the end. What is scary is that all those good people ended up in the same place as those who were crooks from the beginning--in prison or dead, with millions of dollars of hurt to innocent people they betrayed.

• Broken Arrow Draper, UT
    March 6, 2011 1:16 p.m.

Fantastic article Sara. This is what good reporting looks like.

• Moog Wasatch/Heber, UT
    March 6, 2011 11:50 a.m.

One of my friends on the BYU football team dated Diann back in the day and I meet her several times. I would have never guessed she would have the problems she did. I hope she is back on the right track. Very cool of her to share her story.

• Che Payson, UT
    March 6, 2011 11:43 a.m.

Thank you for such a wonderful article. It inspired me so much that I couldn't put down the paper. I wish this lady nothing but the best in her life as she tries to fix it.

She wasn't caught. She initiated what would be a very tough time for her and her family rather than trying to hide it. She has made it right. I have nothing but respect for her and those who have stood with her. I just hope that those who walked away learn to be more loving and forgiving. They are the greater disappointment for me.

• Yung Provo, UT
    March 6, 2011 11:12 a.m.

Good article -- Thank you to all for getting it in the paper.

She still retained her conscience. Thats what sociopath's don't have -- they become and remain habitual liars and self-justifiers.

• JoeCapitalist2 Orem, UT
    March 6, 2011 11:00 a.m.

Great article. Too many unethical, immoral, and criminal actions are perpetrated by individuals who rationalize and try to justify their actions. They see gray areas. They justify their own bad behavior by pointing out the bad behavior of others. They feel entitled to the fruits of others' labor.

We can find examples of this throughout our society. Unfortunately, when just a few people do it a whole class of people get branded as unethical.

Ken Lay, Bernie Madoff, Bernie Ebbers, and other corporate big shots have ruined the lives of thousands of people through their greed and corruption. They give Wall Street and Corporations in general a bad name.

I could start listing politicians (but the list would be too long) from both parties who have done unethical things for personal power and money.

And then there are those who try to use the government to legally "redistribute wealth" through the tax code for their own personal gain.

• bgl Santa Monica, CA
    March 6, 2011 10:08 a.m.

Really well written and insightful. The description of her parents holding her child as she entered prison was heart breaking. I know that young people are often asked to consider rationalizing and how easy it is to get into bad habits that tend to grow into destructive habits over time, but as a teacher-I think that this kind of testimonial would hit home. Anyway--thank you for an enlightening read.

• Hanksboy Cottonwood Heights, UT
    March 6, 2011 10:06 a.m.

Thanks, D News, for this wonderfully enlightening article. And thanks to Dian Cattani for having the courage to tell others her "cautionary tale." IMO, this is journalism at its best!

• Coyoteghost Saint George, UT
    March 6, 2011 8:56 a.m.

I have sent this article to nearly everyone on my e-mail mailing list including my children, grandchildren, friends and professional associates. It is a powerful message. I felt the pain of the parents, sobbing at the prison intake of their daughter. Hopefully, the message being shared will diminish the potential pain of others.

• NeilT Clearfield, UT
    March 6, 2011 7:57 a.m.

Good article. Good people make mistakes. To many people live beyond their means and get caught up in immoral lifestyles. I have worked with criminals. Taking responsibility for your actions is a huge first step. To many people in America are playing the blame game. They want to blame others for their poor choices in life. Even if not criminal choices have consequences.