Sports

Dick Harmon: News of Brandon Davies' dismissal comes at dramatic time for Cougars

Comments

• TheHailstorm South Weber, UT
    March 2, 2011 10:03 p.m.

In other news BYU has removed the USC Trojans from their schedule.

• cynic Appleton, WI
    March 2, 2011 8:09 p.m.

So many of us want to make this about BYU and its basketball team. Not fair. This is about Brandon Davies. I feel for the young man. He is not the only BYU student who has violated the honor code this year, and he is not the only one to have suffered serious consequences. He's just the only one to have received national attention for it. Every BYU athlete knows coming in that this is the risk, but they accept it and welcome the commitment that goes along with representing a great institution. But that doesn't make it any easier when it happens.

The issues Brandon faces are not easy to deal with even when you're doing so privately. They are even more difficult under a microscope. While we cheer for BYU, we owe a duty to Brandon to respect his privacy, to refrain from judging him, and to wish him the best in his efforts to get past this.

Brandon, basketball may be the least of your concerns right now. You still have a bright future in life, and I for one hope you find happiness and success.

• Ted H. Midvale, UT
    March 2, 2011 6:27 p.m.

Skippy,

Ok let's read it again

"The byu fans have defended this team all year saying it is not a one man team and if they win or lose tonight or lose any of their remaining games does not mean it is because Brandon is not there"

Why would it not be ok(based on your comment) for byu fans to think a loss would be due to Brandon's absence?

If the team is not a one man team, as you say, then all team members are needed right?

Therefore, if a key team member is gone won't that likely lead to losses?

This is not rocket science.

Any team that is not a one man team by definition relies on many players right?

So if a key player is gone then that will likely lead to a worse record.

Read it again - same poor illogical reasoning.

• Ernesto de Bajo Albuquerque, NM
    March 2, 2011 6:12 p.m.

I really liked how Davies was developing as a college basketball player. I hope that he will finish his career as a Cougar.

• Skippy West Jordan, UT
    March 2, 2011 5:47 p.m.

Ted H. Believe me, if I wanted to put down Byu I would have. For All the fans that think if Byu loses from now on it would be Brandons fault they are wrong. Yes, I do know this is Jimmers team and yes I understand basketball. They do need the whole team! Maybe you should read my comment again and try to see it as it was and stop feeling so persecuted!

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    March 2, 2011 4:53 p.m.

Patriot wrote;
    Why would any high school athlete with aspirations beyond college to the pros ever go to BYU.

It is a matter of Honor, integrity and having class. Just by asking the question it is plain that you would not understand. Many individuals want to be associated with a school that stands above the rest and has higher moral aspirations.

• Big Hapa Kaysville, UT
    March 2, 2011 4:14 p.m.

It is time to step up and be counted, Brandon will be missed but he is replaceable. The moment is now, the lime light is hot white and sering the gaze of opportunity on who ever wants to bask in it. I think that we will see a new star rise from this unpleasant situation.

Rise and Shout a Cougar will be stepping on the big stage and Rising to the challenge!!!

Poly Cougar Nation

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    March 2, 2011 3:57 p.m.

Why would any high school athlete with aspirations beyond college to the pros ever go to BYU? I look forward to the day when the NCAA starts playing regular season games on Sunday at which time BYU athletics (and the aggravation that goes along with it) will finally be over.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    March 2, 2011 3:53 p.m.

Have fun Cougar fans with your "one and done" NCAA tournament appearance. How embarrassing it is going to be to have such a top seed fall in the first round to someone like Dayton or Gonzaga. BYU has no inside game now and unless Jimmer can score 80 points per game and shoot 85% from the field, BYU is toast. But hey, the season was fun while it lasted.

• John Pack Lambert of Michigan Ypsilanti, MI
    March 2, 2011 3:47 p.m.

dden,
    drinking caffine is not a violation of the honor code. "breaking curfew" is an inaccurate term. A curfew is when you need to be in your place of residence, BYU does not have such a time (as opposed to BYU-Idaho which does). Instead it has a time when members of the opposit sex need to be out/you need to be out of the residence of members of the opposite sex. That is not technically a curfew, so I wish people would not misuse the word.

• Byron Belka Holladay, UT
    March 2, 2011 3:18 p.m.

Brandon lived in my ward growing up. I feel for him.

• John Pack Lambert of Michigan Ypsilanti, MI
    March 2, 2011 3:14 p.m.

I think Harmon's observation that Davies is not a bad person, he made a mistake and we all do to some extent or another is a good one. It reminds me of what a fellow subnstitute once told me before I was going to teach a class of middle school students "there are not bad kids, only bad behaviors".

I fully support BYU's actions in this case, since integrity is needed, but I also will be the first to discourage nastiness towards Davies. I also hope the trend towards prying can be kept to a minimum.

• TheHailstorm South Weber, UT
    March 2, 2011 1:47 p.m.

I am both LDS and an Alum of the University of Utah. I appreciate the athletic endeavors of BYU. I wish the very best for the future of this years Cougar Basketball team, Dave Rose and the coaching staff, and especially for this young athlete. Not all of life's lessons are learned in the little hard benched classrooms as good decisions are learned from experience and sometimes experience comes from poor decisions. I hope that all bodes well for Brandon and that he lands on his feet. Painfully difficult yes, the end of the world,no. I personally don't think that we have seen the end of this young mans basketball career. Although today may be one of the worst days in his young life he must know that others share in his pain and that there is another day and another basketball floor waiting for him when the sun sets on March the second. I know that I'm pulling for him.

• MC Ute Midvale, UT
    March 2, 2011 1:27 p.m.

I taught my children that every choice you make comes with a consequence, and depending on what choice you make, be willing to live with the consequence. I understand that it is difficult to have your choice played out in the media, however he chose to play a sport at a high profile University. I have not seen anybody complain when they get the positive publicity. As a UTE fan, I know there have been many Utes that have made choices in their lives that have not been good. And I applaud the coaches for the suspensions that have been given to them. It is sad that choices one makes can change your course in life however everybody has the chance to redeem themselves and life is about more than sports. I hope everybody who chooses wrong gets the help they need and they use it to become better people.

• MJB Tooele, UT
    March 2, 2011 12:49 p.m.

The biggest liability to the team is Anderson. He can't hold on to the ball down low and if it comes to that, they will be in trouble. He is good on defense but horrible at the offensive end. Hope he can prove me wrong. I want to see good execution from everyone while they are on the floor.

• Ted H. Midvale, UT
    March 2, 2011 11:33 a.m.

Skippy -

You seem a little confused. Let me see if I can help.

"The byu fans have defended this team all year saying it is not a one man team and if they win or lose tonight or lose any of their remaining games does not mean it is because Brandon is not there."

So if BYU fans have been saying it's not a one man Jimmer team doesn't that suggest BYU fans have been saying we need ALL of the team? Like we needed Davies too?

I think you were trying so hard to put down BYU you got yourself all turned around and confused on that one big guy.

Yes, hopefully the other guys step up. But if BYU fans said it was a one man team then this wouldnt be an issue. But since as you state BYU fans have been saying this ISN'T a one man team then clearly this hurts.

Good attempt on the putdown of BYU. Execution fell way short.

• Skippy West Jordan, UT
    March 2, 2011 11:17 a.m.

re: Esquire How do we know BYU did not delay Brandons "dismissal" until after the San Diego game?

And before all you BYU fans get mad at me for that comment, the point is we do not know if they did or didn't. We do not know what Brandon did or didn't do, and therefore we do not know anything other than a lot of speculation. The byu fans have defended this team all year saying it is not a one man team and if they win or lose tonight or lose any of their remaining games does not mean it is because Brandon is not there.

• So. Cal Reader Escondido, CA
    March 2, 2011 10:42 a.m.

Interesting play on this issue here in San Diego. Sports-talk radio read the Honor Code definition from the school's wesite. The 13th Article of Faith never sounded any better and was heared by thousands of listeners throughout So. Cal. However, the TIMING of the announcment, right after the Aztec's game, is being questioned. But, with that being said, the timing means nothing. Davies was a non-entity in Saturday's game, sitting out the vast majority with foul problems. Pay-back time tonight with them Lobos, Cougs!!!

• Superman1 Kaysville, UT
    March 2, 2011 10:40 a.m.

CG

It's ALL speculation at this point and will ALWAYS BE speculation since particulars of honor code violations are not released. I was simply pointing out to everyone that is jumping to the conclusion that the honor code is a heartless, immediate, over-reactive punishment tool that this might not have been as immediate as reported.

As such, it might also not be as severe as speculated. The fact is, we just don't know. It happened. That's it.

• IndianaCoug Bloomington, IN
    March 2, 2011 10:39 a.m.

RE: Eliot.

Great point. The best we can hope for now is that the team comes together and turns things up a notch--this is going to be an exciting team to watch. Go Cougs!

• Eliot Santaquin, UT
    March 2, 2011 10:14 a.m.

"We have to have standards in the program to advance. I want the kids who are in the program who do it the right way to be rewarded because they're doing it the right way. I'm not going to change that."

Who said it?

It was Jim Christian, coach of the TCU basketball team when asked about his indefinite suspension of top player Ronnie Moss. Every team has rules and if the coach doesn't enforce those rules then how can he say he is in charge? BYU is not the only institution that has rules and it is not the only team that suspends players when they violate the rules.

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    March 2, 2011 10:11 a.m.

Utes21,

You don't have to be perfect to stay within the honor code. Yes, it is a higher standard than average Church members are held to. That is because as BYU students they are in the spot light and are being watched by many through out the world. The Church also considers it a privelege to attend BYU and the honor code helps reinforce this. I never had to abide by the honor code in college, because in those days BYU was more expensive than several of my other choices and I couldn't afford to go there. Now BYU would be a less expensive option for my children and if any of them decided to go there I would encourage them, because it is one of the best values in higher education in the country and the honor code helps create a good atmosphere for 20 something kids to learn in.

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    March 2, 2011 10:05 a.m.

Superman1,

The honor code spokesperson said they became aware of the violation Monday, but nothing is said about when the violation took place. You may be right about being on probation. In Church discipline outside of the BYU system this happens quite often. A person will often be put on probation by a Church leader to give them a chance of changing without having more severe consequences.

• CG Orem, UT
    March 2, 2011 10:04 a.m.

Superman1

You're speculating without bothering to read the details of the story.

Brandon's honor code violation was only discovered Monday. That discovery was most likely Brandon self-reporting the honor code violation, which is the usual way honor code violations are discovered.

There's nothing in details of what's been reported that indicates that this was a decision made by the Honor Code Office based on any sort of deadline.

The fact that Brandon was suspended from the team for the remainder of the season indicates that this was a serious violation of the Honor Code that simply couldn't be put on hold or worked through privately.

Brandon's standing as a student and his prospects for rejoining the BYU basketball program are still undecided.

The repentence process and what steps Brandon needs to take to address his issues will all be worked out between Brandon, his Bishop, Coach Rose, and BYU, and it's certain that the general public will not be privy to any of those details unless Brandon chooses to announce those details in public.

• CocoNutzz Salt Lake City, UT
    March 2, 2011 9:58 a.m.

Maybe before you try to Jimmer and break the HC, put a ring on it.

It could of been a magical season for BYU. Oh well time for the other players to step up

• Utes21 Salt Lake City, ut
    March 2, 2011 9:49 a.m.

@Wasatch Al
    I agree do what they did at Ricks just get rid of the athletics at BYU. Its been good to have sports programs but a lot of money they could spend on something else to improve the University. If the independence thing doesnt work out that may be the case.

• BlueCoug Orem, UT
    March 2, 2011 9:41 a.m.

The BYU Honor Code and the commitment of BYU's students and faculty to abide by that code are a standard not unlike Moroni's Title of Liberty.

No one is forced to abide by the code and there are no "honor code police" tracking down code breakers.

The vast majority of students who violate the code self-report their violation, which is a clear indication that they not only accept the code, but also accept the consequences of violating the code.

I know Brandon personally, and I'm sure with a little digging I could find out exactly what issues he's having.

That said, I know his character and that no one feels worse about this situation than Brandon.

He let his team down. He let his coach down. But more importantly, he let himself and his family down.

Knowing Brandon, I'm sure that he is now taking full responsibility for his actions and he is fully committed to taking whatever steps are necessary to get his life back in order.

I applaud Brandon, Coach Rose, and BYU for having the courage to do what they know is right.

• Utes21 Salt Lake City, ut
    March 2, 2011 9:39 a.m.

The Church suspends you for breaking curfew or not shaving? Um the Church doesnt work the same way the Honor Code works. If you have told your Bishop what you have done the school gets to know also. I understand the Honor Code is there to uphold Church standards which is fine. I am not judging the schools right to create rules and thats great he will get another chance. At the same time its hard when we are all imperfect. This young man will always have this hanging over his head and and now the whole community knows.

• Superman1 Kaysville, UT
    March 2, 2011 9:32 a.m.

Its interesting to me that the honor code suspension came on March 1st. Could it be that Davies was already put on probation earlier in the year to give him a chance to comply and March 1st was the deadline so that the Honor Code committee had no choice now but to suspend him for noncompliance? This might not be just an immediate suspension.

Quotes from the Honor Code:

Further, a student is not in good Honor Code standing if the Honor Code Office has placed a "hold" on the student's recordsa "hold" will be placed if the matter is not resolved to the satisfaction of the Honor Code Office by a specified date.

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    March 2, 2011 9:30 a.m.

Esquire,

The sooner this issue is resolved the better for everyone involved, especially Brandon. The world we live in today is full of people wanting to get and give passes for bad behavior or delay punishment. Look at last years NCAA football teams and how much trouble was caused by some delaying consequences and other not. The high road is to take care of this right away and show everyone that to BYU and the LDS Church, standards matter and are taken seriously. If this were a principle followed by everyone, we would have more professional athletes with integrity.

• Ted H. Midvale, UT
    March 2, 2011 9:26 a.m.

helpontheway,

And if BYU let the kid keep playing, would you congratulate byu or call byu's leaders hypocrites for putting athletics above their standards?

No need to answer - we already know.

• helpisontheway Boise, Id
    March 2, 2011 9:08 a.m.

The honor code seems more like the law of moses than the gospel of repentance and forgiveness that we learn about in the new testament. It seems that based on many comments that many have never made a seroius mistake in there life. To think that someone can never learn from a mistake without facing the most serious and public of punishments is old testiment justice at its best.

• Wasatch Al West Jordan, UT
    March 2, 2011 9:08 a.m.

Once again the BYU "scarlet letter" honor code strikes. If every few months a young athlete is villified before the world, maybe it's time for BYU to drop athletics completely.

• IDC Boise, ID
    March 2, 2011 9:05 a.m.

Painful loss for Cougar faithful. I for one am proud to be a cougar fan and BYU grad. Tough to find people, schools, and organizations that stand by their beleifs regardless of the cost. Anyone who believes in honor and standing by your beliefs should have increased respect for BYU.

I hope Brandon can work through this and return to good standing. He will be a better person in the long run if he can make it back.

Put a great plan together Rose and lets see what these guys can do.

• Frozen Chosen Savage, MN
    March 2, 2011 8:37 a.m.

Well, this is very unfortunate. I feel bad for Davies, who more than likely confessed to the violation, which says a lot about him if true.

BYU can kiss any chance at making the Final 4 goodbye; they were small before the loss of Davies - now they are tiny! They should win the last two regular season games but will have an uphill battle to win the MWC tourney and get a #1 seed.

Oh well, it was fun while it lasted...

• The Rock Federal Way, WA
    March 2, 2011 8:31 a.m.

Proud to see BYU stand on principle.
    Davies is a good young man. He will recover and those close to him will rally around him and help him back.

Adversity brings out amazing things in people. Many this be the case with those who have to step up and fill Brandon's ample shoes.

(I worked as a custodian in the Marriott Center when I was in college. I even had to clean the locker room used by the basketball team. Greg Kite's shoes were amazing. I think the brother of Jared came across the ocean in one of them.)

• Alan D Kearns, UT
    March 2, 2011 8:30 a.m.

Every player knows about the honor code before he signs up to play sports at BYU. It isn't as though someone suddenly told them that the University has a morals clause in the contract.
    If you don't want to live by their standards, go to a different university. It doesn't seem like a difficult decision.
    Perhaps this will be a good lesson to any future players, thinking about playing ball at BYU; "can I really live up to BYU standards?"

• Rock Chalk BYU Lawrence, KS
    March 2, 2011 8:23 a.m.

I'm sure BYU *is* working with him. The public face of this story pretty much has one statement: Davies out for the season due to honor code violation. That's it.

In private, you can bet there is a lot going on, and there will be second chances galore. It will be Davies choice to take any or all second chances. If he wants to be back next year, I'm sure he will have the chance. That is *exactly* how the Gospel and the Church work. Its also how the NFL works, by the way. Goodell has done a great job of reminding his players that playing in the NFL is a privilege. Davies had a privilege taken away, an action he saw coming I'm sure, but I'm sure he has plenty of greatness surrounding him right now.

• JazzyMan Meadow, UT
    March 2, 2011 8:07 a.m.

I havn't commented on the BYU basketball team yet in the Deseret News so far this year as my time is taken up for the most part following and rooting for the Jazz.I will say this: Davies being released from the BYU basketball team has got be a very hard thing to take for all you loyal fans that were hoping the team could go far in March Madness. I'm hoping they go far also.I root for any Utah team that has a chance to make a big showing in the tournament. I would very much like the Jazz to have Jimmer on their team in the near future, since for one he has a great NBA three point range even for a college player. Good Luck to Jimmer and the whole BYU team.

• Utes21 Salt Lake City, ut
    March 2, 2011 7:59 a.m.

@ Esquire
    Rules are rules, you have to follow the honor code or not get caught I guess? I like how you advocate for him though, I think byu should at least work with him. The Gospel is about repentance, I dont care what you say and to have a strict Honor Code like that seems a little harsh for someone who made a mistake. I know its been like that forever and wont change but maybe they should consider revising it. Being a private church run school they seem to forget about people making mistakes and dish out punishments. I am glad the Church isnt ran like this. Being forced to be good or be expelled kind of defeats the point of freedom of choice. Its a private school though, if you want to go there you have to follow the rules.

• thebigsamoan Richmond, VA
    March 2, 2011 7:58 a.m.

@Esquire: Give it a rest my friend. The University is still guided by men who have been appointed by the prophet and apostles who are still under the direction of the Lord. You cannot cherry pick how justice is served; and just because Davies is taken off the team does not mean they're not working with him or that he's not being loved and/or helped during this difficult time.

Likewise, you cannot cherry pick how you support the Lord's servants. Either you do or you don't. Think about that the next time you raise your hand to support and sustain the brethren. It's like asking God to..."Please don't punish me till after the season and March madness is over, will ya!!! Can't you see, this is the best chance for your university to make it to the Final Four, and may be even the NC. Can you just sweep my mistake under the rug till after the season is over?" Don't think that's the way the honor code works.

I pray things will work out better for Davies, the team, and the University.

• Trickeration Cedar Hills, UT
    March 2, 2011 7:52 a.m.

Thank you, Captain Obvious!

• dden45 Provo, Utah
    March 2, 2011 7:50 a.m.

Having been a BYU student both in Provo and in Hawaii for the past 6 years, there's two things people need to understand about this. First, whatever Davies did, was most likely pretty serious (not just breaking curfew, forgetting to shave or drinking caffeine as some have suggested), for him to get kicked off of the team and have his standing in school jeopardized. Second, he more than likely turned himself in. It's no secret that if one wants to get away with serious honor code violations, they can. There is no honor code police roaming BYU housing administering breathalyzer tests, breaking up any guy-girl fraternizations and forcing people in before midnight. That doesn't happen. You are on your honor to not only keep it, but inform your bishop if you are having trouble with it as well. Did we not learn with Harvey Unga? I'll give him and the school the benefit of the doubt until I hear otherwise.

• DixieAggie St.George, Utah
    March 2, 2011 7:49 a.m.

I have never been a fan of some aspects of the honor code, but overall I think it is a good thing for BYU to have, and as has been noted before, BYU's staunch adherence to it is very commendable, especially when notable athletes are proven to have no immunity from it. I hope Davies all the best.

In the sports context, this might hurt the b-ball team but it still remains to be seen how his absence will play out in the long run. It's not over yet. Good luck Cougars. Go Aggies

• Conservative Democrat Omaha, NE
    March 2, 2011 7:46 a.m.

Actually, waiting would send the wrong signal in this situation. Part of what makes BYU stand out above other programs is its strict adherence to the Honor Code. The entire media is aware of the honor code that BYU has and they would have a field day if BYU failed to enforce it just because it was ranked high and had a chance for a good post-season. Players know what it is when they arrive and need to understand that they will be held accountable. I commend the "Y" for putting standards ahead of convenience.

• Gary Kinney Huntington Beach, CA
    March 2, 2011 7:42 a.m.

@Esquire
    Rigidity is not a good thing, however, neither is breaking a commitment to the Honor Code of the University. I am proud of BYU taking a quick stand for what is right. Remember, this is a young "student" athlete and this is a life lesson which needs to be learned that there are consequences to our actions. Whatever happens from now on will be determined with how Davies handles the situation. I am sure he is a fine young man, who made a mistake, he must suffer the consequences and hopefully will move on and become a better man because of it. My best wishes to Brandon and his family that this will only make him stronger and better in the days and years to come.

• Cosmo Springville, UT
    March 2, 2011 7:38 a.m.

Nobody can tell BYU what they should or should not have done. Nobody on these comment boards know the details of what happened.

Quite frankly, it's better than what happened at Ohio St's football program last year.

• hedgelog Idaho Falls, ID
    March 2, 2011 7:28 a.m.

This will cost the cougars millions like the missed field goal did for Boise, just not as directly. That takes great commitment to ptinciple. Let this be a lesson to all of us.

Sad for the community , school, and especially for the student athlete. Time to gather around and man up!

• BigRich Orem, UT
    March 2, 2011 7:20 a.m.

Esquire assumes things without knowing what the infraction was. You can be sure BYU would have gone in exactly the direction he suggests if they could have. The Honor Code Office will bend as far as they possibly can and you can be sure they are very aware and keenly feel what results the of their decision will have on the team. Davies obviously made a BIG mistake and in doing so has affected the years of hard work and dedication put in by his coaches and team mates. It is sad to contemplate the regret he will feel for the rest of his life. I hope that he will use this as an opportunity to put his life in the right direction and rise to new heights. What's done is done. Let's give all the support we can to the team, and all the support we can to Davies. Both are hurting.

• SoCalTrueBlue San Diego, CA
    March 2, 2011 7:20 a.m.

Regarding Esquire's comment: Honor is more important than victory on the court.

• Esquire Springville, UT
    March 2, 2011 7:03 a.m.

BYU should have deferred punishment until the season was over. This is no ordinary season. BYU was on the cusp of doing great things for the institution, and now is it in jeopardy? I do not argue with the honor code, but working with a young man through his mistakes while balancing that with the interests of the institution could have been done. I feel pretty strongly about it. Rigidity is not good.

• DC Alexandria, VA
    March 2, 2011 6:44 a.m.

Very curious to see how BYU responds to this adversity in tonight's game. Like what's his name tweeted last night, should BYU win tonight, and win big, ESPN and the selection committee won't care.

This being said, this is a big hit for BYU. Hopefully Rogers/Anderson can step up to fill the hole.

• DRay Roy, UT
    March 2, 2011 6:32 a.m.

Perhaps this is what is needed to raise their game to a higher level of play, and to spotlight Coach Rose for what he has already done all season long as he has replaced injured player...determination needed now more than ever, from the y players, that they show themselves "unstoppable," as a roaring freight train in their quest to a very special season.

• AK Cougar Palmer, AK
    March 2, 2011 12:50 a.m.

Coach Rose and the rest of the team can do it. They have already overcome many obstacles and Harmon said. One more and they will do that too. This win against UNM is yours for the taking.

Go Cougars.