BYU basketball: Brandon Davies violates Honor Code, will miss rest of season

• cmtam lake forest, ca
    March 5, 2011 10:43 a.m.

Never give up

• Pagan Salt Lake City, UT
    March 3, 2011 2:59 p.m.

Wow. This is the first time in a LONG time I have actually seen a consequence to having a sexual relationship before marriage.

Now, can anyone explain to me why people ask the LGBT community to 'wait until marriage' to have sex...

and then work to DENY them marriage?

• Holladay Holladay, UT
    March 3, 2011 8:54 a.m.

Brandon pack your bags and move north to the U of U

• ninespots kaysville, ut
    March 2, 2011 9:19 p.m.

After reading a few comments, I have to say that I couldn't be more impressed with the BYU fans and attitude in general. Rather than vilify Davies and blame him for a monumental letdown for the whole university and community at large, people seem to care more about the player and his future happiness and success than they do about winning basketball games and their dreams of a final four appearance. Absolutely amazing. You're all inspiring. This incident shows the true character of this university and its supporters. Thanks for displaying an incredible amount of maturity and ability to see the big picture.

• runwasatch Ogden, UT
    March 2, 2011 8:43 p.m.

It is reassuring to know that in this world of situational ethics and turning a blind eye to the behavior of the athletically gifted there is an institution that stands by its standards and extends the warned of consequences to those who dishonor the standards they agreed to uphold.

That is why BYU turns out more good people than good athletes.

Too bad the selfish behavior of one will so strongly effect rest of the team.

• deductive reasoning Arlington, VA
    March 2, 2011 5:17 p.m.

"To much pressure to play at BYU and being a Mormon. Being perfect and not being able to make mistakes would kill me!"

BYU obviously isn't meant for everybody.

Your hyperbole aside, however, nobody has to be perfect to play at BYU. For decades, thousands of BYU athletes, LDS and non-LDS, have managed to live the Honor Code and still compete.

• Duckhunter American Fork, UT
    March 2, 2011 5:12 p.m.

The only difference between BYU's honor code and the things expected of all LDS members are the grooming standards. All of the other things in the honor code, abstaining from alcohol, tobacco, drgus, hot drinks, pre marital sex, etc. are all expected of all LDS members. If a member does participate in any of those things they lose privileges such as temple attendence, callings, fellowship, paying tithes, etc. In otherwords it is almost the same.

If you were to drink a coffee once you will not get suspended from BYU or lose your church priveleges. If you are a constant drinker then you probably would. Ditto for almost all of the other items in the honor code. Of course there are some things that will get you excommunicated or disfellowshipped from the church. They are more serious things and those more serious things are also the ones that will get you suspended from BYU.

I question whether the enforecment of the honor code is too harsh at times, I think it probably is, but the basics of it are no different than what all LDS should be living anyway.

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    March 2, 2011 4:58 p.m.

@Duckhunter 2:25pm March 2:

Your comment gets the Pulitzer Prize - I couldn't have said it better.

BYU Athletics' record and the ability to compete for decades at the highest level speaks for itself - much to the dismay of some people.

• brandypayson Payson, Utah
    March 2, 2011 2:36 p.m.

As antiquated, old fashioned and out of date the honor code may be, for some strange reason, young people from all over the world choose to come here and signup to live by it. You would think the enrollment would go down as people realize how controlled their lives will be at BYU. Or could it be that they are MORE in control of their own lives than many students at other universities who waste their time and money drinking, partying, and pursuing sex. Maybe if more colleges had an honor code of conduct, our country wouldn't be experiencing the steep moral decline we find ourselves in today. I know that things are never perfect anywhere, but the honor code at BYU makes students think about their honesty before enrolling. Good luck Brandon. Hope to see you play next year at BYU!

• Duckhunter American Fork, UT
    March 2, 2011 2:25 p.m.

@mike in sandy

Another ute troll telling BYU they need to quit athletics or move down a level. Why is that? They already dominate the vast majority of the teams at the D1 level. They are perenially in the top 25 athletic programs across the board. In many sports they are a top 10 mainstay and in others a top 25 mainstay and in others a top 25 regular. They compete at the highest level all of the time in almost every sport they compete in.

No school wins national championships in multiple sports with any freqeuncy. No school wins national championships in any one sport with that much frequency. Quite frankly the fact BYU does what they do, and is a top 25 overall athletic program with the restrictions they impose on themselves is absolutely remarkable.

The university of utah on the otherhand, with no moral code, with no self imposed restrictions, doesn't come anywhere close to the level of success BYU enjoy's across the board.

This is simply jealous ute trolls that know they cannot compete so they hope BYU will just step aside so they can hopefully default into the top Mormon recruits. Dream on.

• mkSdd3 Ogden, UT
    March 2, 2011 2:04 p.m.

Some of the commentators here say they don't see why BYU had to suspend Davies for the honor code violation as soon as they found out about it.

For Most people BYU and the LDS church are one and the same. If you are a student at BYU and you do not live all standards to the highest, it will be talked about by those watching the LDS for any mis-step. The whole "dig a hole for your neighbor" thing. Think of the out cry from anti-mormons who found out that an athlete was not suspended, or the punishment was postponed until a more convenient time. The outrage would be unparalleled. The hate and opposition that would bring to the LDS church.

There is only one choice for BYU to make after they found out one of there athletes broke the honor code. They did the only thing they could. How is that so hard to understand. There was no room for compassion because he was such a high profile athlete.

• Mike in Sandy Sandy, UT
    March 2, 2011 1:47 p.m.

BYU should go down to Div II. They actually belong there.

With returned missionaries, and an "education first" bent,
    they would competing where they have an actual chance at winning, (this basketball year, and men's volleyball aside.)

• Capt. Smash Bountiful, UT
    March 2, 2011 1:33 p.m.

• CougarBlue Heber City, UT
    March 2, 2011 1:18 p.m.

Chris B right 2 times and wrong 27 times.

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    March 2, 2011 1:15 p.m.

Patriot is wrong about the honor code. There are second chances, but the problem is it takes time to prove to the school that you are ready to come back. In today's sports world any kid with pro aspirations usually moves on, because they can't afford to wait the time. The school isn't telling these kids to move on, the sports world is.

• JNA Layton, UT
    March 2, 2011 12:57 p.m.

Hedgehog posts: Infact many out of state Non LDS see this as odd, antiquated, and unreasonable in todays society. I'm not so sure this comes off as good exposure."

I agree with you Hedgehog that many see this as unreasonable in todays society, but I respectfully disagree that it comes off as as bad exposure.
    As a father, I want my children to know that people can be honest, people can live lives that are not filled with promiscuity, people can live lives out of duty, honor and commitment. It is not antiquated and unreasonable...it's just been forgotten.
    I want my sons and daughters to stand out, not because they may be tremendous athletes, musicians or the most intelligent in class, but because they live a code of honor that tells them to be honest, to be morally clean, to live up to the contracts they agreed to and that if they make a mistake, they will have consequences, and to joyfully accept those consequences knowing they can always pick themselves up and be even better.

• Chris B's psychiatrist Iowa City, IA
    March 2, 2011 12:56 p.m.

To: In My Humble Opinion: Thanks! I don't think anyone has ever told me that I "rock" before.
    To others: It is interesting that some contend that BYU cannot compete at the highest level due to the honor code. Others contend that BYU's season will be a failure if they lose in the first round of the NCAA tournament or don't win the MWC tournament, or lose another game, etc. Many of you who think this way, have it wrong. BYU's season has already been a success. They have won 94% of their games, provided great entertainment, taught principles to young men, etc. It is in these accomplishments that satisfaction and happiness are found. Think about it. If each of you in your life have to be the absolute best in what you do, you are going to be unhappy. If you are a great salesman (or whatever you want to insert here in place of salesman) and you win the top award for your region, but not the national award, you are not a failure. Some of my patients will never understand this, and that is sad.

• Independent Henderson, NV
    March 2, 2011 12:08 p.m.

I haven't read the comments related to this story, and I'm not going to. I'll just say I feel bad for this guy. Just imagine if speculation about your personal life was national news. Let's all wish this poor guy the very best.

• The Deuce Livermore, CA
    March 2, 2011 12:05 p.m.

To: hedgehog | 10:32 a.m. March 2, 2011 Ann Arbor, MI - When you put yourself in the spot-light, your actions are always amplified to those looking on. The standards are the same for all in the church. Most athletic programs have team rules and expectations. This is not specific to BYU. Personal integrity never goes out of style and is not antiquated nor is it unreasonable. Take a look at our recent economic crisis and some of the issues related to banks and investments. Seems that this type of standard is exactly what we need as a nation. I also support a young man who stands up and accepts responsibility for his actions and the consequences of those actions. That lesson will pay dividends far beyond the court or this season. Seems to me that our society is out of touch with reality. Nothing wrong with exposure that makes a statement.

• The Deuce Livermore, CA
    March 2, 2011 11:58 a.m.

To: coleman51 | 9:15 a.m. March 2, 2011 Orem, UT - I first have to say that you have described the sitiuation correctly at BYU. However, to think that you need to sacrifice individual integrity in order to compete at the highest level is not correct. In my line of work, individual integrity is foremost and I am associated with many of the best world-class individuals you can find in my profession. One should never scarifice their integrity or honor in order to win as this is a shallow victory at best. When you go to BYU you have accepted the honor code and signed on the line, which means you have given your word that you will follow this. Yes, there will be mistakes and there will be consequences. This is real life and don't make the mistake that winning first overshadows one's personal integrity. I like to win, but win with honor and integrity, that is a true victory.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    March 2, 2011 11:58 a.m.

Bo Jingles... where's your original comment?

"The trolls should be a little more respectful in times like this. Some of the comments have sunk to new lows and why DNews has allowed them to cross the line of civility is amazing."

Let's set the record straight my friend. My comment above was never directed at the classy Ute fans sympathizing the current state of affairs for Brandon Davies and BYU Basketball. How you can misconstrue this is beyond me.

Any reasonable thinking individual after reading the many comments could easily figure out what I was referring to. It's a shame that the "line of civility" is often defined by the minority and that was my point.

Unlike the 'trolls' that take cheap shots at BYU for the sake of their religious bigotry I just don't recall using the same thought processes in any of my comments, ALL of them!

A little friendly banter, tongue in cheek, rib poking is one thing, religious bigotry is another.

Was your post removed because you "chuckled" too loud or was it because someone finally realized that your comment #2 crossed "the line of civility"?

Go Cougars! Win out tonite!

• sixpacktr Lancaster, NY
    March 2, 2011 11:51 a.m.

"This honor code thing is getting out of control! I can't understand why these kids at BYU are held to a higher standard than the rest of the church. They need to figure out a better way of handling these issues. And don't tell me that this is something they signed up for, because we all sign up for things in life and all of us make mistakes. "

And there are always CONSEQUENCES to our actions. That is unavoidable. With BYU, the Honor Code is very clear on the penalty for breaking it. To do otherwise for anyone, even Jimmer, would make BYU look like a bunch of double talking liars (kind of like the US Gov't).

Brandon will be a better person for this, because he will have suffered the consequences for his actions. I pray he gets thru whatever it is and becomes a better man and not a bitter one. It is up to him.

As for the team, it will be tough. Tonite's game will be emotional for them. But Coach Rose is a good coach and will get the most from his squad. And we always have Jimmer!

Go cougars!

• Mike in Sandy Sandy, UT
    March 2, 2011 11:26 a.m.

Patriot! That is actually hilarious!

But a private school can have whatever rules they want...as inane, archaic, puritanical and prude as they wish.

• Ted H. Midvale, UT
    March 2, 2011 11:16 a.m.

Way to bring the atonement into this conversation. So you're suggesting that the atonement means there are no consequences for doing things we're not supposed to? Brilliant - I'd love to see the general authority quote on that one.

No second chance? Is he barred from playing for BYU next season or the season after?

Or by second chance do you mean - no punishment for doing things you promised not to do?

I'm continually amazed that the hatred for all things BYU completely confuses people and how they try and twist the gospel into proving it's different than what BYU stands for.

Hate to tell you the two are very much intertwined.

Both teach there are consequences for wrong. And both teach there is forgiveness(Brandon can come back next year)

By the way bud - didn't God say something about ZERO tolerance for evil?

And before you go all holier than thou on us - you brought all this up - I'm just happy to point out our illogical thinking.

• Mike in Sandy Sandy, UT
    March 2, 2011 11:10 a.m.

I went to BYU for a year. I am not LDS.

I left because while the education was good, there is way too much control over the students. But I knew that going in.

But I couldn't believe it was going to be all that bad, so I went.

But it was. Rather than get dismissed, I left.

Not for me, but if you want to stay, you gotta live their rules.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    March 2, 2011 10:55 a.m.

ESPN this morning asked a valid question... Can BYU ever win a championship with it strict honor code? The answer from ESPN is NO!!! I agree. 99.9999% of colleges would not have suspened Brandon but of course at the Y the honor code rules supreme with ZERO tolerance and no second chanches. Sure glad the atonement isn't that way because we would all be hosed.

• Sparky908 Yakima, WA
    March 2, 2011 10:40 a.m.

Brandon, work things out, get things right and we hope to see you next season. Your teammates will try their best to finish what you started. Do what you need to do and we'll look for you next year. Our prayers are with you.

OK Cougs, who's going to step up their game and show they are worthy to be on a championship team? I would like to see someone come in off the bench and fill in like nothing happened, nothing changed. Who will it be?

• Anne26 West Jordan, UT
    March 2, 2011 10:33 a.m.

Ignore Chris B. He only wants to get everyone riled up and it just isn't worth it. As a Utah fan, I am really sad to hear this news. My sons are huge BYU fans and this has been an exciting year. I don't think the Cougars are down and out yet. My guess is that they will adjust and someone else will step up. I wish them the best in the tournament!

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    March 2, 2011 10:32 a.m.

"This honor code thing is getting out of control! I can't understand why these kids at BYU are held to a higher standard than the rest of the church"

I agree with you. Infact many out of state Non LDS see this as odd, antiquated, and unreasonable in todays society. I'm not so sure this comes off as good exposure.

• Something to think about Ogden, UT
    March 2, 2011 10:24 a.m.

BYU sports are an extention of the University and LDS Church's mission to provide a quality education within the framework of a positive culture. I hope people realize this and support the school and their policies. I applaud the school and appreciate their efforts to 'do the right thing'. I'm LDS, but NOT, I repeat NOT a BYU fan!. I love sports, but truly believe the school must honor it's mission and purpose for existence. I wish this young man the best as he works to "improve himself" off the court.

• RockJ Kaysville, UT
    March 2, 2011 10:22 a.m.

Much has been said about how this shows there is not a double standard for high profile athletes. I wonder about that. It seems that only the high profile people get this kind of treatment. It has been too long since I was at the Y to draw any conclusions from what I saw (and didn't see). I realize Brandon is still a student ("as of now") but does anyone really, actually know of situations where students were suspended for honor code violations? I hope so. I hope there is equal treatment for all.

midwestfan said it best, "it is not disaster for the young man." Hang in there Brandon!

• UtahManDan Providence, UT
    March 2, 2011 10:13 a.m.

BYU would have kept him on the team if they could. I'm sure this honor code violation was something that was huge and was going to go public, so the university was forced to take immediate action.

• jazz123 North Salt Lake, UT
    March 2, 2011 10:12 a.m.

• Sloppy J St. Louis, MO
    March 2, 2011 10:04 a.m.

Re: BYU competing at the "highest level," it depends on what you mean by "compete." If you mean "win national championships," then, yeah, it's going to be tough. But guess what . . that's tough for everyone. How many schools from "power" conferences have never won an NCAA title, rarely (if ever) make it to a FF, or get to the (fraudulent) BCS Championship game?

I know for many hoops fans east of the Rockies, simply being in one of the "power" conferences means you're competing at the "highest level." How many programs actually deserve the label "elite"? Duke? NC? Syracuse? Kansas? There are a handful of others, but it's a relatively short list. Of course BYU isn't on the list. What reasonable fan could say they should be? But are they "competitive"? Again, what reasonable opponent could say they aren't? I'd love a FF and/or national championship. I'd be giddy. But I can live with "consistently competitive."

This is especially true if becoming "elite" means loosening the requirements to attend BYU. The school is what it is; if it costs us a shot at most blue-chip players, so be it.

• In My Humble Opinion South Jordan, UT
    March 2, 2011 10:03 a.m.

Chris B's psychiatrist | 9:07 a.m. March 2, 2011
    Iowa City, IA
    This story seems relevant: At the beginning of Bill Walton's senior year at UCLA (after being national player of the year his junior year), Walton shows up to the first day of practice with long hair. Coach John Wooden told him that his hair was unacceptable. Walton said, "you don't have the right to tell me to cut my hair". Wooden said, "you are right Bill, I don't. I only have the right to determine who will play. I admire people who have strong beliefs and stick by them. I really do. We're going to miss you." Walton got on his bike and went and got his hair cut immediately.
    Some people will never understand principles and integrity, including some of my patients.

Dude (or dudette), you ROCK! Great story, plus a GREAT handle and alter ego!

• hispanic from AF American Fork, UT
    March 2, 2011 9:54 a.m.

Time to reconsider BYU student-athlete situation. I would like to see BYU getting out of sports all together. I agree with another blogger....when I watch BYU basketball I don't celebrate their morals, I celebrate a good basketball game and I wish for their victory, no their salvation.

• eric3170 Dallas, TX
    March 2, 2011 9:49 a.m.

Now what's the harm in waiting a few weeks to administer punishment. Isn't Christ merciful and "slow to anger"? Is it not punishment also to everyone else that the honor code board is robbing the dreams of the team, the hopes of the students and alumni, and the prestige of the university?

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    March 2, 2011 9:42 a.m.

There have been some posts by posers on here putting words in my mouth. While I am not a big fan of tds, I am neither so insensitive as to make some of the more callous comments attributed to me. Personally, I don't want to see Davies off the team for this kind of reason. I don't think tds is as good as advertised, but when you lose, I want it to be with your best players on the court. Anything short of that simply provides an excuse, and I don't want you to have any excuses for your tournament loss. So, cewgs, like you I am unhappy to see Davies kicked off the team. In fact, I am quite unhappy about it. Believe it or not.

• MelancholyMe Ogden, UT
    March 2, 2011 9:39 a.m.

Once the coaches and administration found out about the violation they had no choice but to suspend Brandon. If they hadn't, they would have demonstrated that they have weaker morals than those that broke the code in the first place.

This is a sad situation for everyone. There are no winners here, but I have to admire any person or organization that will stand up and take their medicine, pick up the pieces and continue on.

Best of luck Brandon, I wish you the best after you have been put into a spotlight that you didn't want to be in. Hold your head high and act with honor. One honor code violation doesn't make you a bad person, how you react after the violation will determine the man you will be.

• What's up? Salt Lake City, UT
    March 2, 2011 9:21 a.m.

A big hit to BYU chances. They are an outside shooting team and very weak in the middle (USU would have likely gone on to beat them at home if Wesley did not get the bad call) They can not afford to give up what little inside play they have.

• Hondo Springville, UT
    March 2, 2011 9:21 a.m.

Why can't they look the other way until after the season? We've got a good thing going.

They've done that with Jim McMahon and countless other football players.

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    March 2, 2011 9:16 a.m.

Ouch, this hurts. Sorry BYU fans. The rest of the road just got tougher. Hope Brandon is able to work through whatever the problem is.

• coleman51 Orem, UT
    March 2, 2011 9:15 a.m.

Part of the problem with College athletics is the competitive level of the top schools. If a student goes to Texas or Florida, they can compete with full expectation that if they are good enough, they can play professionally. We at BYU have accepted an honor code which everyone entering that university should abide by. They have made that committment. That committment trumps all other considerations for the student-athlete at BYU. At most any other major school and program, Brandon would likely have continued playing. BYU's honor code prevents his playing. Therefore, it is not unreasonable for me to conclude that it is entirely unreasonable for BYU fans to expect to compete at the highest level of college athletics and we should not put that type of pressure on our student-athletes and coaches. Perhaps Division 1 college athletics is not where we belong. Regardless, this incident underscores the need to re-examine the role of the student-athlete at BYU. This is not a criticism of the honor code, simply a question of whether we can compete at the highest level with that honor code and whether we should be.

• Clark_Davis Saint George, UT
    March 2, 2011 9:08 a.m.

Dont worry Brandon, it will only be 6 games MAX.

• Chris B's psychiatrist Iowa City, IA
    March 2, 2011 9:07 a.m.

• tjmira Delta, CO
    March 2, 2011 9:04 a.m.

I have an almost 10 year old boy who absolutely loves BYU and Brandon! He was able to get his picture with him and an autograph at the BYU/UNLV game a few weeks back. Brandon was such a good role model for my boy, and now I'm saddened by what has happened. But I think Brandon can be an even better role model for all young men out there by taking care of this and making it right! We love you Brandon and really hope to see you next year!!

• davidutefan Evanston, WY
    March 2, 2011 8:40 a.m.

this is a bummer for the TDS, I was really hoping they would represent the MWC well. Hopefully, they'll come together and play well.

• Big J Bountiful, UT
    March 2, 2011 8:37 a.m.

I feel bad for Davies and hope he can work things out. I reffereed him in HS and thought he was a great kid and still think so.

When you consider where to play you need to really think about that honor code. He could have had a great career at the other schools along the Wasatch Front and that violation (whatever it is) would not have mattered.

Best of luck.

GO UTES!

• ArticunoBYU Salt Lake City, UT
    March 2, 2011 8:35 a.m.

We are a top five team in the country. we don't need Brandon because we are BYU! We are goign to win it all this year and the utsies don't have a chance! lol!

When you are a top 5 PROGRAM (not just team, mind you), when stuff like this happens, you just reload. Sure Brandon was good, but there are at least five guys on the team behind him who are just as good, if not better.

To all you utsies, dont worry, we are THE u. around here and we will eb the best!

• Lia Sandy, UT
    March 2, 2011 8:31 a.m.

Wow! Bummer there, Cougs.

But I'm not too upset. He's a big boy, knows the rules.
    Can Jimmer play center?

• The Rock Federal Way, WA
    March 2, 2011 8:21 a.m.

I believe that Brandon is a fine young man.
    He apparently made a mistake and I fully anticipate that he will set things right.

Very proud of BYU for setting principle above winning. In reality this is putting the spiritual needs of a young man ahead of anything else.

When I was young and stupid I made many mistakes. Fortunately none of them had harmful lasting consequences.

The rest of the team will step up and BYU will become that much more dangerous.

• barbara Carlsbad, CA
    March 2, 2011 8:20 a.m.

Dude! What is wrong with you? Stop being human!

• aggieblue Saint George, UT
    March 2, 2011 8:20 a.m.

I don'know anything about what the violations were, nor do I care. That is for Brandon and Brandon alone. It doesn't matter what is in the code, the thing is that anyone at the Y agrees to it. I recall my dad telling me about the times when a "a man's word was his bond." I believe that Brandon has told us all that his word is his bond. Great character, great future and he can walk head held high. Good luck Cougars, you can do it, adversity brings out strength and character.

• Mike in Sandy Sandy, UT
    March 2, 2011 8:15 a.m.

I don't know what to say.
    One of your best players too.

Oh well. So much for The tourney..or BOTH of them.

Lots luck!

• Yooper Houghton, MI
    March 2, 2011 8:07 a.m.

I most agree with Coleman51 from Orem. We all want Davies to learn and grow from this - check. We support the honor code - check. We respect BYU for having integrity - check. Life's lessons are more important than basketball - check. These are all obvious things that nearly everyone supports here on the boards. And they all happen to be entirely irrelevant.

For me, I take hours out of my week, park myself on a sofa, and watch and support BYU basketball because they are really good this year and I want to see them make a significant run in the tournament. You see, I make this investment of time to see good BASKETBALL and nothing else. Not to see wholesome people. Not to see integrity and honesty. Not to see moral ethics. Not to hear happy talk. I want my team to win because I'm a BASKETBALL fan.

If I want to learn of heroic deeds, integritous living, and honorable choices, I can watch Ken Burns's Civil War series anytime I want.

But Davies being dismissed from the team is going to hurt the BASKETBALL team, and that's all I care about right now.

• utahcountyute Cedar Hills, UT
    March 2, 2011 8:07 a.m.

This is really nothing to cheer about even as a Ute fan.

I feel bad for Dave Rose and the seniors on this team who have relied on this kid. The kid made a choice when he signed with byU and he did not live up to it.

Good luck coogs

• Give Me A Break Pullman, WA
    March 2, 2011 8:07 a.m.

Brandon is a great kid with a great future. He is a winner. He will work with the powers that be to get over this difficulty. And when he does, he will be back on the team, better than ever. I will be looking forward to it.

Playing for BYU is a special deal. Nowhere else in the country are you held to such a high standard. Whether you are an athlete, or an intellectual, when you choose BYU you know what you getting into. Come back Brandon. You can do it. We love you.

A BYU athlete represents the University and the institution that sponsors it.

Now for those who think BYU should have looked the other way, you are the very same ones who would yell and scream and complain if BYU had not help true to their charter. If you want to find fault there are plenty of ways for you to do that, but this is how it had to be.

The rest of our team will just have to step in and pick up the pieces. Sorry Coach Alford, your NM team is going down today.

• JohnJacobJingleHeimerSchmidt Beverly Hills, CA
    March 2, 2011 7:55 a.m.

President Uchtdorf identified as areas where the sin of pride is apparent. "As priesthood bearers, we must realize that all of God's children wear the same jersey," he said. "Our team is the brotherhood of man. This mortal life is our playing field. Our goal is to learn to love God and to extend that same love toward our fellowman."

I don't see anything wrong with some good natured ribbing but the name calling and beyond is really out of hand. I am looking at both sides here BYU and Utah. Chill out.

I hope the young man can get back on track and finish his schooling so he has career options beyond basketball.

BTW, Jimmer is no Danny Ainge and it will show in this year's tourney just like last year.

• cork Murray, UT
    March 2, 2011 7:38 a.m.

Selfish, selfish, selfish. I don't care how old you are or what your hormone level is. You signed the Code. Your teammates trusted and counted on you - as they do on every other man in uniform. To do this to them is deplorable. I hope you get your life in order, and upon great reflection, if you want back in, perhaps now you will understand what it means when you make a promise - to the school and to your teammates. The rest of the world, particularly up north, may laugh us to scorn, but the day we succumb to their "value" system will be a far sadder day than today.

• Sloppy J St. Louis, MO
    March 2, 2011 7:33 a.m.

I find it funny that many are saying things like "I know Brandon is a fine young man" or "I admired Brandon personally." Umm . . do you know him personally? Maybe he's a fine young man (whatever that means), maybe not. My suspicion is, none of you really know anything about his character. Neither do I.

I do know that he grew up in Provo and was presumably in close contact with the school for several years, so if any prospect had clarity in regards to the realities of life as a BYU athlete, it was (or should have been) him. I don't wish him ill in life. If he's willing to swallow his pride and actually come back and play for the Y again next year, that would demonstrate uncommon humility and courage.

To quote Bill Parcells, "You are what your record says you are." While life isn't quite that simple and neat, there's a solid point there. "Good kid" or not, actions matter. Choices matter. Coaches everywhere use the "good kid" line any time a player gets in trouble. Is anyone a "bad kid"? Good luck, Brandon, but it's on you.

• higv Dietrich, ID
    March 2, 2011 7:27 a.m.

I was at a devotional at Ricks Colege when David Bednar said if you don't want to keep the honor code go somewere else not fair to those that don't get accepted.

People agreed to a code before they signed up. A 5 o clock shadow staying 5 minutes late won't get you sent home. But repated disobedience, Word of Wisdom and Chastity will.

I remember a High School coach had a rule that you were home before 10:00 night before game. Player stayed up until 4 am before championship game. Didn't get to play.

People need to be willing to live by honor code. I remember Bryant Gumbel saying how bad BYU was for suspending Jenkins. Him and his Girlfriend were kicked out too. One sided. when other schools beg you to come there.

• sixpacktr Lancaster, NY
    March 2, 2011 7:18 a.m.

All those that think that BYU 'blew it' and acted hastily just don't get how things work, either in the Church or at BYU. I guarantee they didn't dismiss Brandon based on innuendo and perceptions. There had to be hard proof that he had violated the honor code in some way. And I would imagine that Brandon acknowledged what he did, whatever it was. THAT is none of our business.

Those that mock BYU (and the church, for that matter) because of their honor code just don't understand what either is about. BYU wasn't made for trips to the Final Four or the BCS National Championship. It was made to make young men and women better people that would contribute to society and people of integrity. Glad I sent all of my kids there, and that I attended there as well.

Brandon will get thru this, I'm sure. And those that are taking pleasure in this man's pain, or the team's pain, remind me of another being that wants to make 'all miserable like unto himself'.

• DixieAggie St.George, Utah
    March 2, 2011 7:03 a.m.

I have never been a fan of some aspects of the honor code, but overall I think it is a good thing for BYU to have, and as has been noted before, BYU's staunch adherence to it is very commendable, especially when notable athletes are proven to have no immunity from it. I hope Davies all the best.

In the sports context, this might hurt the b-ball team but it still remains to be seen how his absence will play out in the long run. It's not over yet. Good luck Cougars. Go Aggies!

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    March 2, 2011 6:55 a.m.

I really hope Brandon will work through this and come back and be a strong contributor to the team, even if he has to use a red shirt season to do it. If he can get past this, it will reveal a man of incredible character.

I do wish BYU would be more discrete in their announcement of these type of actions. I realize because of Brandon's prominence, they have to say something. But couldn't they say he was suspended for violating team rules, instead of violating the honor code? The honor code is one of the team rules.

When we, the public, hear that he violated the honor code we rush too quickly to judgement, even though we don't have a clue what happened.

I feel bad for Brandon, I feel bad for the team, and I feel bad for the fans who were looking forward to a deep run in the tournament. They should still get past the first round, but they will struggle as soon as the meet up against a team that has a solid front line. Noah is really our only skilled big man.

• Weber State Graduate Clearfield, UT
    March 2, 2011 6:50 a.m.

The honor code is not the problem...it's actually a good thing and I wish more schools had them. What's apparently disappointing about BYU is the almost fanatical, over reactive response to an ostensible violation. Knee-jerk punishment against kids who are young and human is certainly not a thoughtful way to deal with an honor code violation...in my humble opinion.

• Eddie Syracuse, UT
    March 2, 2011 6:45 a.m.

It is truly odd how many can look at this and blame the Church and BYU for their honor code and can't believe why they just can't "forgive and forget", or let it go until the end of the season or someother insane idea. What if we were to do that in the regular world? Let's let Bernie Madolf go and let him "finish" the current fiscal year! How about we let rapist go and let them finish their "season"? Let's let all drunk drivers keep driving until they sober up and all will be forgiven.

Thank you BYU for upholding the Honor Code. In the grand scheme of things and in years to come, what will matter most is that the standard was kept and that a young man became a true MAN.

• Rock Chalk BYU Lawrence, KS
    March 2, 2011 6:30 a.m.

@Bo Jangles, you speak the words of a wise man. There are lots of classy Ute fans out there, you are one of them.

• eastcoastcoug Danbury, CT
    March 2, 2011 5:46 a.m.

I wish Brandon all the best and hope he comes back - both on and off-court. This shows the school's priorities as we will certainly not make it far now...

• Dennis Harwich, MA
    March 2, 2011 5:36 a.m.

Bye, Bye, BYU
    Another blown season. One and done seems probable at this point.

• Chris_B Salt Lake City, UT
    March 2, 2011 5:20 a.m.

Bracketologist Lunardi hit it right on the head - nothing changes in terms of rankings/seedings as long as tds continues to find ways to win - as they have all season! They lost Lloyd and Collinsworth. They'll find a way to adjust. A lot of it comes down to desire at this point of the season. If the combo of Abouo (who showed tremendous hustle on one stretch, especially under the basket once w/ three O-boards in a row to get a put-back, Anderson (who can be a good big man when he wants to be, and Hartsock (put him on the outside for treys) can hustle with some heart, they're still gonna do well, folks!

Let's see what happens against the Lobos tonight! Go kewgs!

• coleman51 Orem, UT
    March 2, 2011 4:18 a.m.

If protecting the honor code is much more important than winning games, then we should not expect our teams to compete at the highest levels. Let's quit funding the football and basketball programs and just compete in team play such as rugby. We should not recruit student-athletes that desire to play professional sports because that would not be our highest priority. We should not aspire to play at BCS level football, because an honor code is our highest priority. We are being entirely dishonest at BYU to claim we can win national championships in major sports and promise that possibility to student-athletes when we cut our coaches off at the knees and not allow them to do so. If a student-athlete wants to compete at a higher level, then don't go to BYU because we should be honest enough to tell him or her that at BYU, an honor code is more important than their aspirations.

• carpediem Holladay, UT
    March 2, 2011 2:53 a.m.

People commenting on these boards should go to ESPN, and the Tribune boards to defend BYU.

• SeattleUhasabballteam? Seattle, Wa
    March 2, 2011 1:57 a.m.

Here's the quandary all you Yewt trolls are in:

If it's just the Jimmer Show, then how does Davies absence ensure postseason failure?

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    March 2, 2011 1:38 a.m.

"No other school has as rigid an honor code as we do at BYU. "

I don't think that's true but... those other universities like Liberty or Bob Jones University have nothing as far as athletics are concerned.

• MedfordMan Medford, OR
    March 2, 2011 1:27 a.m.

I have no doubt that Brandon is an honorable young man, that he didn't go out of his way to violate the Honor Code. He made a mistake, that's all. He that is without sin, cast the first stone. I think you might be able to find a few others among us who have also made mistakes. Am I disappointed about the impact on the basketball team? Sure. But basketball is temporary. If BYU lost in the first round, in the eternal scheme of things, who cares? What is really important is that Brandon feel the support of everyone and not their judgement. I'm sure he is feeling pretty bad right now on his own.

• 2020 Herriman, UT
    March 2, 2011 12:50 a.m.

I know the kid brought it upon himself, but I do feel bad for him. The poor guy made a mistake and ended up letting his whole team down.

Now that they won't be in the same conference, I think he should become a Ute! Sit out a year and then play two years in the PAC 12.

• In My Humble Opinion South Jordan, UT
    March 2, 2011 12:19 a.m.

coleman51 | 11:51 p.m. March 1, 2011
    Orem, UT

Do you assume that athletes that don't live the honor code are better? That the honor code somehow puts a student at a disadvantage? Some people feel the same about academics:

Did you know that Bobby Knight graduated 98% of his basketball players?

Do you know how academically rigid Duke, a private school, is?

You know Stanford finished 4th in football, right?

The honor code and LDS religion makes it harder to find athletes who fit the university and vice versa, but smart people can be athletic, moral people can be athletic, teetotalers can be athletic, Mormons, too.

• paperboy111 Lindon, UT
    March 2, 2011 12:03 a.m.

Protecting the BYU honor code is much more important than winning games.

• AZJazzFan Gold Canyon, az
    March 1, 2011 11:59 p.m.

Most of these comments have been helping me recover from this loss. Thanks. Most are class. The others don't concern me, they are meant to annoy, please ignore them. Good luck to Brandon, I hope to see him next year and I hope all can forgive him and he can forgive himself. Whatever happens I remain a cougar through and through.

• coleman51 Orem, UT
    March 1, 2011 11:51 p.m.

This incident underscores a fundamental problem with BYU sports in general. No other school has as rigid an honor code as we do at BYU. We are a church school and if that is what we truly value, the honor code is entirely justifiable. Every student wishing to attend BYU should understand that the honor code is binding on them. With the student-athlete, there should be no difference in abiding the honor code. However, we are competing for athletes with other schools where there is no honor code. They can lure student-athletes and make no pretence that they have to live an honor code and can promise them things we at BYU can never promise to them. It is, therefore, entirely disingenuous for us to expect our student athletes to compete at the highest levels with these other schools. If that means we compete at a lower level, then so be it. Our boosters should not expect, then, for student-athletes to be competitive at the highest levels and should not base their contributions to BYU sports for that reason.

• TrueBlue Orem, UT
    March 1, 2011 11:35 p.m.

Gut check time for Jimmer and the rest of the Cougars.

Losing Brandon is a significant blow, but Jimmer and Jackson are great senior leaders, and with the help of a great supporting cast, I believe they'll rise to occassion to meet this new challenge.

Hang in there Brandon. You have our love and support that you'll be able to get your life back on track, and hopefully, return to finish your basketball career at BYU.

• Skippy West Jordan, UT
    March 1, 2011 11:32 p.m.

The saddest part of all of this...Everyone is judging Brandon (even though they are wishing him well), everyone is judging BYU and their honor code, and everyone is judging the situation as a whole and yet, nobody knows the circumstances. Once again, as people, we are getting caught up in the hype of the situation. We will all know how things will turn out after the New Mexico game, but then we still have the colorado game and then the MW tournament. Once again, we have all looked so far forward to a #1 seed and a final four team that we have forgotten there are other games to be played. Whatever happens will happen and sometimes as fans we need to remember the words of our mothers, "Don't count your chickens before they hatch"

• Utah Businessman Sandy, UT
    March 1, 2011 11:19 p.m.

As a BYU fan, I just want to say "Thank You" for the good wishes and good sportsmanship from the Ute fans and Aggie fans here. There is no question in my mind that you are representative of the vast majority of Ute and Aggie fans--rabid fans of your school but respectful of other schools and programs as well. Kudos to you!

• Big Hapa Kaysville, UT
    March 1, 2011 11:16 p.m.

:( is an understatement. Oh well got move on and get it done, life can jump up and bite real hard.

• Skippy West Jordan, UT
    March 1, 2011 11:11 p.m.

re: DC There have been numerous cougars finding joy in the Utes struggles this year!

Sorry to hear this for the cougar team. Just when all of Utah was begining to beleive their was more to BYU than Jimmer, this happens. I guess its back to the Jimmmer Show. Good Luck!

Why does everyone assume that BYU is the only team with honor codes? Every team has "team rules" and if you break them, you pay the conscences.

• Louisiana Cougar Pineville, LA
    March 1, 2011 11:09 p.m.

I am encouraged by the overall quality of responses, the caring expressed, and the ability of Cougar fans to support Brandon Davies.

I have deeply admired Davies as a person and wish him every good thing in his life. Thank you for the many good things you have done, and success to you as you deal with issues that all of us face at one time or another.

Although it was initially a blow to read about this situation, it was also an opportunity to reflect on what really matters. As a fan who absolutely loves the Cougar basketball team, I appreciate the opportunity to put this incredible season into perspective.

Brandon Davies and his success are far more important than whether BYU wins ANY games the rest of the season. Or so I believe.

• Jonathan Eddy Payson, UT
    March 1, 2011 11:01 p.m.

Cheer up people. BYU will NOT lose another game in March or April.

• badlandscougar great plains, sd
    March 1, 2011 10:54 p.m.

remember when Davies sat on the bench for a long time in one of the games this year? the team will be alright without him. anderson's time is now. buddy, you need to make a quicker recovery now! you have the ability(i've seen it), size and heart. we will be okay. go byu!!

• Tommy2Shoes Lehi, UT
    March 1, 2011 10:53 p.m.

I've enjoy watching the progress that Brandon has made on the court this year. I will miss his presence on the team that I love. Now he gets to work on off the court issues that I know nothing about but hope that Brandon can resolve to his satisfaction. What is past is past. Good luck Brandon where ever this situation takes you.
    I met Harvey Unga last weekend and he appears to be doing well. He learned from his actions and is now a loving husband and father. I hope he has a great career with the Bears. He was my favorite football player the last few years.

We'll be at both home games this week and we'll hope for the best. We will play with what we have. Jimmer is still the main man and his teammates will work hard to win. By next weekend we'll know how good this team can be.

• AZguy Phoenix, AZ
    March 1, 2011 10:50 p.m.

This Coug fan hopes wishes Brandon the best. Number 1, I hope he get straight with whatever he needs to.

I hope his future is with BYU, but if not, I am certain he can flourish whereever he goes.

Hope the rest of the Cougs can bear down and fight on!

• Rational Salt Lake City, UT
    March 1, 2011 10:48 p.m.

sammyg | 9:56 p.m. March 1, 2011
    Springville, UT

Derogatory names like yewts and zoobies and tds and tun are OK, rude comments, too. As long as trolls don't cross the important and sacred "all-caps" rule, they are still allowed to be jerks.

• Chris B's psychiatrist Iowa City, IA
    March 1, 2011 10:35 p.m.

@LP supporter:
    Great post! You have a healthy mentality. Thanks for sharing.

• dallas realist rockwall, texas
    March 1, 2011 10:34 p.m.

no davies is not good. but on the defensive side if the ball anderson does a good job cuz of his length so we should be fine. more importantly i hope davies is alright.

• Chris B's psychiatrist Iowa City, IA
    March 1, 2011 10:29 p.m.

Good luck to Brandon. There is more to life than basketball. The rest of the team can pull together and become a stronger team. The next step is to beat New Mexico.

• Kami Bountiful, Utah
    March 1, 2011 10:26 p.m.

In the long run, paying the price for whatever Code he violated will likely be the best thing that could happen to this young man. Hopefully he will get back up on his feet and be able to hold his high again one day.

• Farid @ Pocatello Pocatello, ID
    March 1, 2011 10:24 p.m.

I don't think this is going to impact the team as much as we fear. Hartsock moves to center and Collingsworth rejoins the starting five. It'll be fine unless depth becomes an issue (which it will deep into the tournament).

Remember, Hartsock was the Oklahoma basketball player of the year his senior year, so the kid has game. Same for Stephen Rogers, who could also jump in and make a difference. Over the past few weeks, we've seen the Rogers that I expected, a kid who can score 13-15 points a game and rebound.

I think he'll end up being a notch below the level of Lee Cummard, which is just fine.

This will all work out, really.

• CaliforniaCougar Lake Elsinore, CA
    March 1, 2011 10:20 p.m.

Time for Jimmer to shoot for 50!!

• Jimmy James Salt Lake City, Ut
    March 1, 2011 10:16 p.m.

While I send my condolences to the Brandon Davies and the BYU basketball team for their loss, I also appluad BYU as an institution for holding to their guns. Well done BYU.

• LP suppporter Lehi, Utah
    March 1, 2011 10:15 p.m.

Let's not forget what we are about here. BYU is a Church owned school, first and foremost their concern is for the individual and his well being. Brandon will survive this. He has the support of family, BYU, and the community. In Honoe Code matters, BYU never has changed their policy and now is not the time to change with a nation looking on. The basketball team will also survive and they will win... there is more character, determination, and a will to win on this team than BYU has seen in years. Case in point, Jimmer carried is small high school to the state finals, Jackson saw 3 (starters) of his buddies leave his high school for a rival school to try to win a state championship, all he did was strap his team on his back and carried them to a state championship and he had a game for the ages in the title game. Each of the others members of the team have had similar events...There is a drive on this team that will take over. Get behind them , take a look at their eyes tomorrow and you will see what I am talking about.

• Koke Spanish Fork, UT
    March 1, 2011 10:14 p.m.

I know everyone wants to be supportive of Brandon. And I too hope he gets through this situation. But the bottom line is that he didn't just hurt himself.

He injured his team and school and there needs to be some accountability for that. I am grieved by whatever choices he made that created this situation and frankly disappointed.

I am frustrated by the stream of high profile BYU athletes who tarnish themselves and injure others. I understand mistakes, but I also know that we all have choice. At some point there is a self-serving willfulness or arrogance that gets us into trouble. If you want to play for the Y, you have look these vulnerabilities in the eye and consciously discard them.

We must reverse the trend.

• Samwise Provo, UT
    March 1, 2011 10:12 p.m.

I am glad that BYU doesn't have a double standard with the honor code and applies it to everyone. It is a little hard to say, but even if it were Jimmer instead of Brandon, I would say the same thing. I hope Davies can work through it well. I feel for him that his mistake lead to this, but he knew the consequences of whatever he did before he did it. He agreed to it when he came to BYU.

Although Davies will be missed, I still think BYU has a good chance of doing well in the post season. We still have Emery, Abouo, Harsock, and of course the Player of the Year. Hopefully Rogers and Anderson will be able to step it up. Either way, Jimmer will still be Jimmer. Go Cougars!

• Veritas Bountiful, Utah
    March 1, 2011 9:56 p.m.

I respect both the university and the player for not hiding the truth and having the courage to deal with the problem straight up. I can only wonder how many other universities have failed to uphold their honor codes for the sake of the almighty "win". This took real courage.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    March 1, 2011 9:56 p.m.

I'm hoping the bench can overcome this, I believe they can and I'm expecting a stellar game tomorrow evening.

I'm sure Brandon is feeling the weight of the world right now as he should. Hope the best for him and Cougar Nation. Unfortunately timing on these things is never convenient or pleasant.

Shake it off Cougars and win out this week!

• statman9 South Jordan, UT
    March 1, 2011 9:54 p.m.

I will agree that this is a big blow, but I am not too concerned, BYU has too many good players, this gives Stephen Rodgers and Noah Hartsock and Abouo a chance to improve their post game. I think BYU may struggle a little, but I think BYU will still win games.

• aggieblue Saint George, UT
    March 1, 2011 9:52 p.m.

My aggies are doing great. I am certain the Y will be just fine. The team is behind Brandon 100% as he is them. True friendship is hard to find thes days, but it is there for Brandon and the team. As hard as it is, I know without a shadow of doubt that the Y will go far in the tournament. Dave is a great coach and you have players that have given all everyday in practice. They will step up for Brandon, Dave and the standards of honesty, integrity, and their word. I predict Hartsock, Rogers and Charles will come through. They will do this for Brandon because they love him. Go Aggies and Cougars, maybe we can meet in the tournament.

• wer South Jordan, UT
    March 1, 2011 9:47 p.m.

It was a great run while it lasted.

• coleman51 Orem, UT
    March 1, 2011 9:46 p.m.

Forget the #3 ranking. Forget the #1 seed. You can't replace his presence in the middle. This was horrible timing. A very promising season has just gone up in flames. This isn't Hoosiers. This is reality. Any good team now will crush us with it's inside play.

• Tyler McArthur South Jordan, UT
    March 1, 2011 9:40 p.m.

@ Freight Train
    Who cares what the world thinks?

• fan32 St. George, Utah
    March 1, 2011 9:37 p.m.

I have said this once and I will say it again if the deseret news doesn't ban my entry. BYU needs to get out of sports like they did at Ricks. Davies surely deserves the treatment he has gotten, but Byu could spare all the loyal fans who support them and fill the stadiums with bitter disappointment by getting out of sports. Let us go support somebody else and get excited about another program. Drop sports now. Set all your loyal fans free.

• MiP Iowa City, IA
    March 1, 2011 9:35 p.m.

Not sure what he did, but missing the rest of the season and possible NCAA tourney glory is a huge misfortune. Best wishes to him. Chris B, now is not the time (if there ever is one) to gloat. Try putting yourself in this kids' shoes and it may soften your comments.

Still, as pivitol a player Davies is, the Cougars could still have a memorable run as long as Jimmer is still around.

Good Luck.

• MotherofFour Springville, UT
    March 1, 2011 9:35 p.m.

This is devastating, for Brandon, for the team, and for the fans. I wish Brandon well and hope that he'll be able to find peace and comfort as he sorts this out.

All is not lost. The Cougars can step it up and fill in this huge gap. Jimmer and Jackson will lead the way and overcome this hurdle.

• CWEB Orem, UT
    March 1, 2011 9:34 p.m.

Brandon--it'll pass.

Time heals all things.

Sad for our team, Sad for Brandon, but hey, life is NOT about basketball--

Life is about learning, understanding and supporting each other through trials.

I'd rather have a Brandon Davies or a Harvey Unga for a friend--(they're not, but I'd love it if they were)--

I'd rather have these guys for a friend, than a room full of hypocrites, liars, or other people--because these guys get it...

Make mistakes, fess up, fix it, and live a great life.

Return to our Heavenly Father and basketball? Well, fun, but rather pointless in the eternities and the long run.

Still, it hurts, but the Cougs will be fine!

And maybe they'll still win it all.

• JohnJacobJingleHeimerSchmidt Beverly Hills, CA
    March 1, 2011 9:32 p.m.

President Uchtdorf asked us to not let sports be the cause of ugliness and name calling. I see BYU and Utah fans getting real ugly here

• Brettski2024 Concord, CA
    March 1, 2011 9:32 p.m.

Poor kid. Oh well.

• IDC Boise, ID
    March 1, 2011 9:29 p.m.

This is the opportunity of a lifetime for the backups. Let's see what the team and Rose can do to finish strong.

Tough situation for Davies. We all make mistakes, his is in the open for everyone to judge. Hang in there Brandon, you can turn this all around as long as you don't give up.

• 10CC Bountiful, UT
    March 1, 2011 9:28 p.m.

This Ute wishes Davies the best of luck in moving forward. Plenty of people have done far, far worse and surmounted their predicament to achieve greater success.

Hang tough, Brandon. Your future is very bright. Wish you were at Utah.

• Flame of the West The OC, CA
    March 1, 2011 9:17 p.m.

Absolutely stunning, shocking...peace to the team. Peace out to the trolls...asta la vista to a deep run.

• oh ye confederacy of dunces Flushing, NY
    March 1, 2011 9:15 p.m.

This is ridiculous. Can't these young men work out their repentance in private without detrimental reprecussions to their entire lives--like the rest of us? I am a graduate of the Y and I have never been and never will be an advocate of the honor code. The commandments and the words of the prophets have always been enough.

• Penguin Inc. Salt Lake City, Utah
    March 1, 2011 9:15 p.m.

Hey, thanks a lot there, chief. Way to ruin everything. But, even so, I hope you get everything back on track. Good luck.

• jpc53 Cottonwood Heights, UT
    March 1, 2011 9:15 p.m.

From a Ute fan.

Don't give up hope you still have Jimmer, so as long as you can put four other players on the court you will always have a chance.

• jplant Cambridge, MA
    March 1, 2011 9:10 p.m.

We love you Brandon!

• A_Chinese_American Cedar Hills, UT
    March 1, 2011 9:01 p.m.

Life is more important than the Final Four chance!

• jmstoker Colorado Springs, CO
    March 1, 2011 9:00 p.m.

Brandon, we know you feel worse about this then anyone else...you are an awesome young man and pray you overcome any issues...we need you back!

• yankees27 Heber, Utah
    March 1, 2011 9:00 p.m.

Man, I left a post earlier stating it was too early to worry about a number 1 seed that too many things could still happen. I wasn't, however, thinking it would be something like this. Tragic.

• BluCoug Provo, UT
    March 1, 2011 8:59 p.m.

"I thought THIS was the season?

One NCAA win in 20 years. LOL

See ya again in 2030!

Another classless comment from a bitter person, classless!

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    March 1, 2011 8:56 p.m.

I like how byu fans have projected their anger and dissapointment on Chris B.

• dalry23 Santa Maria, CA
    March 1, 2011 8:55 p.m.

Sometimes even I being LDS and a BYU alum grow weary of our stringent standards in an increasingly corrupt world. As long as the behavior here wasn't of a criminal nature I wonder why Brandon Davies (a 20 year old) couldn't be counseled through his issues and allowed to work through them while remaining on the team. While I understand that our actions bring consequences this would appear (while never knowing for sure) to be a very heavy punishment for the young man.

• MESOUTE Albany, NY
    March 1, 2011 8:51 p.m.

You never like to see this. I have yet to read the comments but I hope to high heaven that my fellow Ute fans are not piling on. Hope the kid gets it back together for his final two years.

• CT98 Saint George, UT
    March 1, 2011 8:49 p.m.

Unbelievable! This was the year we had a legitimate shot. The University is showing their true colors today of Honor and Integrity at the sacrifice of success. Way to go Coach Rose. All of Cougar Nation respects your tough decision. Hopefully Brandon will be back next year.

• Las Vegas Aggie Logan, Utah
    March 1, 2011 8:49 p.m.

It's a said day for the basketball program but a great day for the young man learning about personal responsibility.

• poyman Lincoln City, OR
    March 1, 2011 8:47 p.m.

I was and continue to be a huge Brandon Davies Fan.... I know that Brandon is a quality Human Being and that both he and BYU have benefitted from their association....

The true medal of the Man is about to be introduced... I have every confidence that Brandon will meet the challenge, step up and do what he has to do to get his life in order and put this all behind him....

I've heard it said (and there is nothing that is more true)" The measure of a man is not how good he is and what he has accomplished, it's how well he bounces when he is knocked down"...

All of us are disappointed (I am a 58 year old man who has been cheering loud and hard for a BYU Final Four appearance for approximately 50 years)... But this is Temporary, Brandon and his fans will look back on this experience in 10 years and say that the right thing happened and that all benefitted from what transpired.

Again Brandon, if you read these, please know that we will be your fans no matter what... Now show us all How good you realy are.

• basketball1215 Sandy, UT
    March 1, 2011 8:46 p.m.

Nobody is at blame for this besides Brandon. He knew what he was signing up for and inflicted this upon him. It hurts! He let down his team, the coaches, fans, and everyone that has jumped on the Jimmer train. Hopefully we can get somethings figured out and return to BYU winning basketball. Hope to see him next year

• JayDee West Jordan, UT
    March 1, 2011 8:43 p.m.

As a huge BYU fan who has followed every game and embraced the possibilities of this team, this news is about as disheartening as it gets.

As a member of the Church and BYU alum, I credit the university, Coach Rose, and others who have the integrity to stand for values beyond a game.

As a caring person, I hope things go well for Brandon in the near future. If it's possible, I certainly hope for his return to the team next year.

As a sports fan, I'm disgusted by the boorish comments of Chris B. and Hedgehog. I've been on the boards long enough to know their modus operandi, and I consider the source. However, their absolute pleasure at others' individual misfortune in a situation like this a new low for them...and that's saying a lot.

• DesertRat Gilbert, AZ
    March 1, 2011 8:41 p.m.

Say it ain't so . . . :-(

• John Pack Lambert of Michigan Ypsilanti, MI
    March 1, 2011 8:41 p.m.

I find this development saddening. However shocking and outright just saying "wow" seem a bit much. Basketball players are human, and human's fail. In this case they are also relatively young, but actually we are all prone to doing unwise things at some time or another. This is sad, but I would hesitate to call it shocking.

• Mountainman56 Alpine, UT
    March 1, 2011 8:39 p.m.

Esquire | 7:50 p.m. March 1, 2011
    Springville, UT

hispanic from AF | 8:02 p.m. March 1, 2011
    American Fork, UT
    What ever happened to forgive and forget???? Is it just lip service? An explanation is in order!

"Deferred punishment" or "forgive and forget" policies would both make a mockery of the honor code. As hard as this is to take, BYU has to take quick action on honor code violations or the university would have no honor or integrity.

• Freight Train Phoenix, AZ
    March 1, 2011 8:38 p.m.

Agree with idablu. Could have deferred punishment, or at least INVESTIGATE it! 1 day after they found out????

You have to get your mind outside Utah to see what the nation will think of the university/church. They're bringing insurmountable bad publicity to the church with this kind of timing. Yes, I agree with the honor code. But step back and look at the big picture. This is the top story on ESPN.com, and will blow up the sports nation tomorrow. I'm sure they're going to have a good time with this one...

• Where's Stockton ??? Bowling Green, OH
    March 1, 2011 8:36 p.m.

This is not good...could not have happened at a worse time. Abouo and Hartsock and Emery...without Davies are still a great go to combo to back up
    Fredette... but losing Brandon's inside shooting presence, his height and rebounding are going to be hard to replace. Wow what bad timing. We'll have to see how Rose is going to recapture Brandon's momentum with someone off the bench.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    March 1, 2011 8:36 p.m.

"BYU blew it. Could have deferred punishment until the season is over, which it almost is. Instead, the whole program is punished. "

That'd be like Ohio State banning their QB and others for the games to start the season rather than their bowl game. It seems to defeat the purpose of even having an honor code if you allow exceptions like that.

• CougarOnTheProwl Murray, UT
    March 1, 2011 8:35 p.m.

Im shocked and very disappointed, what horrible timing for this to happen. I hope Davies can get this resolved and learn a lesson from it so that he can come back and play next season. I still hold out hope that BYU can make a deep run in the tournment, throughout the season we have seen a number of players step up in big games. Davies has had games where he has been in foul trouble and missed significant amounts of minutes and we have seen guys step up and fill the void. Hartsock and Abuouo need to continue to build on what they did against Sdsu. Rogers and Collinsworth need to step up their game as well, if that happens byu will be fine. They still have Jimmer and with him im not about to count them it. It will be difficult without the inside presence of Davies, but all season long it seems like we have seen players step it up when they needed to the most and I think that will continue.

Go Cougars!!!

• nosaerfoecioveht NSL, UT
    March 1, 2011 8:34 p.m.

BYU didn't blow it, Davies did. He's the one who let his team down. My heart goes out to him though- can't imagine how bad he must be feeling right now. Props to BYU for standing by the honor code.

I'm a Ute fan, but I've got a lot of respect for Jimmer and wanted to see him succeed in the post season. That's going to be a lot more difficult now.

• Still Blue after all these years Kaysville, UT
    March 1, 2011 8:33 p.m.

Let's keep our heads up. Other guys will step up. Rogers could knock down 5 threes next game, or Magnusson could get 10 boards, or our small ball with Obuou, Collinsworth, Jax and Jimmer could be a difficult matchup. And we got the best coach in the game! Did I mention Jimmer? We got him too.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    March 1, 2011 8:30 p.m.

Chris B | 7:14 p.m. March 1, 2011
    Salt Lake City, UT
    To all Mormon athletes considering tds and Utah:

THIS is Y you choose the U, in any sport.

You can enjoy college life as you're supposed to.

Brandon - transfer up north. We don't judge U.

Instead, the U runs you off the court and brings in a whole new batch.

Unless they do choose to judge. (Nai Fotu -- until further notice).

All athletes take it upon themselves to lead honorable, successful lives, and the coaches job is to assist them.

But hey, if you wat to come a become a Jimmer, a Emery, an Andrew Rich, a Kyle Whittingham... You have the place.

No need to listen to the trolls who couldn't hack it.

But this is not a good situation for anyone. Good luck Brandon, and Nai.

• axiom1 Orem, UT, Utah
    March 1, 2011 8:29 p.m.

For Led Zeppelin, Chris B, and anyone else who thinks that BYU looks for opportunities to suspend people, you don't know what they are talking about. It has to be major violation. This could cost the school a ton of money, bad publicity, and hurt recruiting. BYU will catch a lot of flack for this nationally. Yet they had the courage to do it anyway. It's good to know that there is not a double standard at BYU. Good luck Brandon, and maybe BYU will step up to the plate. There is still a whole lot of talent on that team.

• scott Alpine, UT
    March 1, 2011 8:28 p.m.

DN moderator:

I find the majority of hedgehog's and Chris B's comments to be "abusive, offensive, off-topic, and misrepresentative," so why are they tolerated when other comments that violate none of your stated rules are censured?

• axiom1 Orem, UT, Utah
    March 1, 2011 8:27 p.m.

As a BYU fan, this really hurts. But I really feel for Brandon, Coach Rose and the players who have put so much into this season. I am happy to see that almost all posts from BYU fans are full of class. There's plenty of room for anger here, but everyone seems to have the greatest concern for Brandon Davies.

Cris B, you can take a lesson in class from these posts. Forget the effect on BYU, only a loser would take so much delight in something that will effect someones life. This is going to be really tough for Brandon, but he's human, and we all make mistakes.

• CG Orem, UT
    March 1, 2011 8:20 p.m.

hispanic from AF

Your explanation is that forgive and forget is a much longer, much more involved process than simply saying you're sorry, especially when it involves something serious enough to be suspended from the team for an honor code violation.

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    March 1, 2011 8:19 p.m.

Esquire--"BYU blew it. Could have deferred punishment until the season is over,....."
    _ _ _ _ _

Uh, no, they can't.
    'Sadly,' integrity trumps athletic success.

• JJ1094 Saratoga, UT
    March 1, 2011 8:19 p.m.

Actually glad this came out - I have a son that I have been teaching that values, covenants, and codes of conduct are more important than sports. Thank you Brandon for manning up to a problem...Thank you BYU for honoring the young men and women who abide by the Honor Code...and thank you fans for seeing that life is more important that the Final Four chance!

Best wishes to get it all straightened out by next season.

• BlueCoug Orem, UT
    March 1, 2011 8:15 p.m.

Sorry, I couldn't disagree more.

BYU did what is a expected of BYU -- setting an example of a higher standard.

Sweeping a serious violation of the honor code under the rug for the sake of winning an extra basketball game or two would have been a betrayal of the standards BYU is commissioned to uphold.

I applaud Dave Rose for having the courage to make this heart-wrenching decision, both for Brandon, and for the BYU basketball program.

• mr. j Cottonwood Hts., Ut
    March 1, 2011 8:15 p.m.

im just glad they're not ohio state. "brandon, promise you'll stick around for another year and you can play in the tournament. you can sit out our games vs. tobias tech and leroy state next year."

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    March 1, 2011 8:11 p.m.

We will now never know what this team was capable of achieving! I truly think this team had the potential to be in the Final Four.

All y'all talk about who will step up, but there's nobody to step up unless C. Collinsworth can come back.

As sick to my stomach as I'm feeling right now, I can only imagine how Jimmer and Co. are feeling.

• Cougar Cindy Salt Lake City, UT
    March 1, 2011 8:04 p.m.

Hey Cougars, keep your chins up! It isn't the end. What, haven't you seen what a great team this is?! Davies is great and oh he will be missed, but the bench can deliver. We can count on our Cougars to dig down and keep bringing up the goods.

So sorry for Brandon right now. What a ton of pressure.

But painful as it is for everyone, this is why I love BYU. I know we take the honor code seriously, and I know an action like this is done in the best interest of the individual, not the institution.

• Utes Fan Salt Lake City, UT
    March 1, 2011 8:03 p.m.

I gotta say, this really has got to be painful for Brandon and the Cougars.

And I was going to actually watch and hope for the best for BYU in the tournament.

Still, you never know. Maybe the backup can come through well?

• hispanic from AF American Fork, UT
    March 1, 2011 8:02 p.m.

• Esquire Springville, UT
    March 1, 2011 7:50 p.m.

• myjazz Ogden, UT
    March 1, 2011 7:49 p.m.

Do you mean pass or past. I think both fit don't you?

• Madden Herriman, UT
    March 1, 2011 7:49 p.m.

At least we got two pages of decent comments and condolences in before the trolls. We support you...Cougs and Brandon.

• AS San Marcos, CA
    March 1, 2011 7:48 p.m.

Maybe he can transfer to SDSU... they'll be looking for some big guys next year.

• That Makes Sense Orem, UT
    March 1, 2011 7:48 p.m.

I feel bad for him. There goes his reputation. Gotta be feelin bad right now.

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    March 1, 2011 7:46 p.m.

Rumor has it Dr. Chris Hill meet with Rose earlier this month.....

Timing could be perfect.

It's simply delicious to watch the tds dream big dreams only to see them crash like a house of cards.

You always have track and field.

• Common-Tator Saint Paul, MN
    March 1, 2011 7:45 p.m.

Having had the privilege of attending a couple schools where "honor" actually has meaning, I am grateful for several things:

- There are places left where it actually has meaning.
    - BYU is keeping private details private.
    - People's lives mean more than a game -- even when it hurts.

I learned long ago that when "winning" means more than ones honor, one has already lost. It is comforting to know there are still institutions that support that sentiment ... even when there are the clueless few who don't have their priorities in order.

Brandon, know you're loved, and you have the support of thousands who truly understand what is important. Keep supporting your teammates as you're permitted. CTR

• Jeff29 Cedar City, UT
    March 1, 2011 7:44 p.m.

@Chris B

Conference championship - gone
    Conference tournament championship - gone
    Player of the year - gone after a few more losses???
    #1 seed - gone
    A single win in the NCAA tournament - gone
    From the silly sunday rule and now this - the selection committee will not look favorably upon tds. My guess is a #4 seed.

Are you ready to put your money where your mouth is? Other than the #1 seed, which BYU has no control over (other than winning out) I'll take any of those at any amount.

Of course, this means you'll have to come out of your mom's basement to pay up.

• DC Alexandria, VA
    March 1, 2011 7:42 p.m.

Chris B = Proving Max right. Completely classless. Only he could find joy in another person's struggles.

• Iggle Salt Lake City, UT
    March 1, 2011 7:42 p.m.

Wow, Chris B., way to stereotype all ATHLETES.

Anyway, I'm glad you're forgetting that these ATHLETES are people with potential, not merely pawns so the team from the school you like can be better than the team from the school you don't like.

Meanwhile, real fans will remember it's more than a game and have compassion for the person involved. This is about someone's life.

And I'm not a BYU fan.

• srh83 Hillsboro, OR
    March 1, 2011 7:42 p.m.

@ Chris B

I thought you promised that you wouldn't make any more posts if BYU beat SDSU. You were so certain that they would lose that you made a promise that you simply cannot keep.

• Just the FAX Olympus Cove, Utah
    March 1, 2011 7:41 p.m.

Why don't you stop pretending to be a BYU fan?

There's nothing more pathetic than a troll who pretends to be what he's not.

• Utahman24 Orem, UT
    March 1, 2011 7:39 p.m.

Enjoy another second round loss. Now you know how Utah has felt over the pass year. Tough to laugh when it affects you. Karma......

• DC Alexandria, VA
    March 1, 2011 7:39 p.m.

Everyone - it's Davies. Remind me again how many points he scored and rebounds he had in the SDSU game on Saturday? 4 points? And BYU still somehow found a way to win? Crazy. The secret to Jimmer's and BYU's success has not been because of the mere threat of Davies. I like Davies - he was getting better throughout the season and I'll look forward to him coming back next year. But, Anderson is serviceable, and while he won't score 11 a game, he'll be an inside presence and there are 5 other players than can pick up the slack. Will things be more difficult - yes. Can they still win? Yes.

• street11 Heber, UT
    March 1, 2011 7:38 p.m.

We got Davied

• SSmith Washington, UT
    March 1, 2011 7:38 p.m.

Life is about much more than a Final Four run. What is really important here is Brandon. You're a great young man. Make your way back, and I don't mean to the hardwood.

• Snack PAC Olympus Cove, Utah
    March 1, 2011 7:38 p.m.

Chris B

In many ways, I feel more sorry for you, than Brandon.

It must be so hard living a life filled with such hatred.

• Led Zeppelin II Bountiful, UT
    March 1, 2011 7:36 p.m.

What did he do drink caffiene? Regardless how ridiculous I think BYU's rules are these players know the rules and need to respect and follow them.
    I am LDS and would never fit into BYU. I like to have long hair and I am a rocker. They would never except me in the first place.

• srh83 Hillsboro, OR
    March 1, 2011 7:34 p.m.

This changes EVERYTHING!!! Davies has been absolutely vital this year. I hate to lose faith in my cougars, but I think this is will blow it for the team. I hope that Davies can be back next year and I wish him the best.

• ImaUteFan West Jordan, UT
    March 1, 2011 7:32 p.m.

Wow . . . just Wow.

That is very sad and I mean that sincerely. What a blow to the team and for this young man.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    March 1, 2011 7:30 p.m.

Tom in CA -

You won't believe me, and not that I really care, but I have no clue who Hedgehog is.

I'm not sure what incentive I would have to create another name. Case in point: When the comments were limited to 2 a while back I did create another user named "Cris B." But now that the 2 comment rule is not in place I'm good with just "Chris B."

Back on topic -

TDS continues to be the laughingstock of collegiate sports.

Athletes - silly rules do not mix.

How many times need you be reminded?

You will NEVER be a top collegiate school in a sport such as basketball or football where ATHLETES are needed so long as the honor code is in place.

This hurts(for tds, helps UTAH) recruiting too - LOVING IT!!

• Seattleview Federal Way, WA
    March 1, 2011 7:27 p.m.

How quickly things change. I dont believe it.

The next thing you know, Rose will leave as well.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    March 1, 2011 7:27 p.m.

Coaches have to make tough calls.

Keep your head straight Brandon.

We all still love ya, kid...

(And Chris B, now all of your dreams can come true. What a lame life you must have...)

• Riddles in the Dark Olympus Cove, Utah
    March 1, 2011 7:26 p.m.

Settle down MichiganCoog!

We all know the usual suspects will be totally classless with this, but you can show that BYU fans are better than that.

Brandon, get your life back on track. There are things more important in life than basketball. You have our love and support.

• Rock Chalk BYU Lawrence, KS
    March 1, 2011 7:26 p.m.

Not to worry, the team will get by, it will be almost the equivalent of Davies getting into foul trouble in the first 3 minutes and sitting out for most of the game.

BTW, similar things happen at other schools. KU just suspended one of their players for unspecified violations of team rules. None of this is any of our business anyway.

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    March 1, 2011 7:22 p.m.

@Chris B:

Were you in North Salt Lake, or South Salt Lake?

Are you and hedgehog the same person?

• Kyle loves BYU/Jazz Provo, UT
    March 1, 2011 7:18 p.m.

The Jimmer will play interior defense and rebound too. The Jimmer will do whatever it takes to win the game for his team!

• SammyB Provo, UT
    March 1, 2011 7:18 p.m.

Brandon, my stomach dropped, but my second reaction was your welfare. Ignore any posts by people who throw stones. You seem like a smart, great young man. Don't give up on yourself and we won't give up on you. Good luck.

• FREDISDEAD West Point, ny
    March 1, 2011 7:17 p.m.

As my son would say

Way to let your team down. *frown*

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    March 1, 2011 7:17 p.m.

@Chris B:

Would have never predicted a remark like this from you. I'm shocked.

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    March 1, 2011 7:17 p.m.

Big disappointment. I'll try to withhold judgement, but sheesh, Brandon, what were you thinking???

• CG Orem, UT
    March 1, 2011 7:16 p.m.

Thanks for checking in Chris B!

With your typically clueless predictions of gloom and doom, the Cougars have renewed spirits to carry on.

We all know that a predicted BYU loss by you is a near lead-pipe cinch that BYU will win!

Thanks again for helping to lift Cougar spirits on some otherwise very sad news.

• SLCWatch Salt Lake City, UT
    March 1, 2011 7:15 p.m.

As I read this headline my immediate thought was for Brandon. I could care less about the season, the seeding, the playoffs or anything else. One of our own has more important issues and needs our support. Brandon you have been a role model for some of us. We are praying for you to get back to where you have been. Our best wishes. Come back soon.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    March 1, 2011 7:14 p.m.

To all Mormon athletes considering tds and Utah:

THIS is Y you choose the U, in any sport.

You can enjoy college life as you're supposed to.

Brandon - transfer up north. We don't judge U.

• chubbuckidahocougfan Chubbuck, Idaho
    March 1, 2011 7:14 p.m.

And this is why BYU will never be an elite basketball program or even a very good progam for that matter. The Administration would rather kick their players off the team than work with them through the repentance process. Isn't that what the gospel of Jesus Christ is for?? This is ridiculous. I was thinking of getting tickets to the NCAA games in Denver for BYU, but since they'll be missing their starting center, I don't think they'll go far at all.

I wonder what he actually did?? Wear shorts on campus or did he not shave his 5 o'clock shadow before he went to the testing center? I'll never forget when I was attending Ricks College when I was sent back to shave my 5 o'clock shadow before I could take a test. I didn't know we were living the Law of Moses still. I am bitterly dissapointed.

• PrepSportsFan Draper, UT
    March 1, 2011 7:13 p.m.

Props to BYU for standing behind their honor code. Bingham football who claims a similiar code of conduct could learn from this. Very very disappointing.

• Mrclark Leesburg, VA
    March 1, 2011 7:13 p.m.

Not UNLV - New Mexico... but ah...

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    March 1, 2011 7:12 p.m.

I thought THIS was the season?

One NCAA win in 20 years. LOL

See ya again in 2030!

• Aggie84 Idaho Falls, ID
    March 1, 2011 7:12 p.m.

Come play for the Aggies

• Duckhunter American Fork, UT
    March 1, 2011 7:12 p.m.

@g-ville ute

Except that he was right. Go ahead and read christina b's predictable post.

• FlatlanderCougar Doniphan, NE
    March 1, 2011 7:12 p.m.

We must try to remember what it is like to be an 18, 19 ,20, 21, or 22 year old kid! It's tough to try to do so many things right all the time. I saw him and the Cougs play in Omaha earlier this season. How very impressed I was with what appears to have been Davies' break-out game. His legs were explosive and on fire. It ought to be the prayer of the CougarNation and anyone who loves young people and whose desire it is to play at this level and above that he makes right whatever the issue is and to get it resolved as soon as possible. Not just for the game but for himself and those around him who love him. Think UP Brandon and always remember whose son you really are!

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    March 1, 2011 7:11 p.m.

This is unbelievable! What a blow to the team.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    March 1, 2011 7:08 p.m.

And it all came crashing down!

I could hear the crash from Salt Lake

Can you say ONE AND DONE?

• canyonhawk83 Springville, UT
    March 1, 2011 7:07 p.m.

Best of luck Davies! Push on Cougs!

...And may MichiganCoug find a better use of time than starting online fights.

• Winglish Lehi, UT
    March 1, 2011 7:06 p.m.

Holy cow! As a fan, I'm devastated.

• g-ville ute Grantsville, Utah
    March 1, 2011 7:03 p.m.

one classless post and its from a cougar

• my2cents2 Saratoga Springs, UT
    March 1, 2011 7:02 p.m.

I feel for Brandon and more so for the team that has just taken a huge hit. We'll find out tomorrow how the team rallies to replace his absence, but I'm not getting my hopes up. Brandon's loss is one that will be hard to resolve. Obviously Brandon was not thinking of his team or the consequences when he did his selfish whatever.

• Jeff R. Sheridan, WY
    March 1, 2011 7:02 p.m.

Epic Fail, good player and he will be missed. But his will alow one of the other guys to step up and shine.

• thebigsamoan Richmond, VA
    March 1, 2011 7:01 p.m.

How tragic! Just when things are really looking up. So sorry to hear this sad news. Hope Brandon will straighten things out and be ready to come back next year. It's going to be awfully tough now for the rest of the season. This is just so awful. Good luck Cougs!!!

• Mrclark Leesburg, VA
    March 1, 2011 7:00 p.m.

Hope to see you next year Brandon. This is just a game. Good reminder.

Hang in there Cougs. Good luck tomorrow against UNLV!

• cactusflats American Fork, UT
    March 1, 2011 6:59 p.m.

I imagine Dave Rose did everything he could for Brandon, but the player makes his own choices and bears the consequences. Can't imagine how he must feel to have let down the Jimmer like this. Rally, Cougs!

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    March 1, 2011 6:58 p.m.

The caravan will continue to move forward. People will learn hard lessons from this. No sense pointing fingers now - the damage is done.

In the overall grand scheme this is a small bump in the road - how will this team respond. We will see in short order.

• RockOn Spanish Fork, UT
    March 1, 2011 6:57 p.m.

As one coach put it..."Try having a job where your future lies in the acts of hormonally challenged guys that run around in shorts."

Brandon Davies... disappointing and he'll feel terrible if a) the Cougs lose in the MWC tourney and don't last long in the NCAA or b)if the Cougs go all the way without him.

The kid is going to feel some pain for a while. Sad. Hope he has the strength and courage to make it back.

• BlueCoug Orem, UT
    March 1, 2011 6:56 p.m.

Brandon, oh, Brandon, this is so sad!

This is a tough lesson to learn, but I hope you get your life back in order and learn from this experience. You know better than this.

Contact Tui. He'll be there for you!

As far as BYU is concerned, this isn't the end of the world, but it's certainly going to make things that much more challenging for Rose and Jimmer and the rest of the Cougars.

• USAlover Salt Lake City, UT
    March 1, 2011 6:55 p.m.

It's over...any hope of a Final 4 is over. Unbelievable....

• Chuck Nunn Logan, UT
    March 1, 2011 6:54 p.m.

Hopefully Brandon can shake off whatever it is and be with the team next season and stay in school. He's a good player and seems like a good kid. These guys have to remember, particularly now with so much at stake: Don't touch the apple!!

• midwestfan Spanish Fork, UT
    March 1, 2011 6:54 p.m.

Disaster for the team, but lets pray it is not disaster for the young man. Our prayers are with you Brandon. Hope you get it fixed. -kk

• myjazz Ogden, UT
    March 1, 2011 6:53 p.m.

what a blow!!!! Brandon hope all can be resolved so that you can come back next year.

• TexasAg Humble, TX
    March 1, 2011 6:53 p.m.

And so it begins ...

• SpencerJ Kaysville, UT
    March 1, 2011 6:53 p.m.

I hope the best for Brandon but I feel worse for the team he's leaving. Big-time-let-down to his teammates and coaches who need his talents for a deep tournament run.

• RepresentBlue West Jordan, UT
    March 1, 2011 6:51 p.m.

There goes the dream season. BYU will be lucky to make it out of the first weekend of the NCAA tournament without their starting center and only low post scoring threat.

• WestGranger West Valley City, Utah
    March 1, 2011 6:50 p.m.

No one can say that BYU's honor code has a double standard for athletes. It is a difficult price to pay for the integrity of the university.Hopefully, we will see Brandon next year.

• Flames6 North Salt Lake, UT
    March 1, 2011 6:50 p.m.

Uh oh and bummer for TDS. Glad to see only worthy comments. Stay classy here Ute fans.

• IBleedBlue Provo, Utah
    March 1, 2011 6:49 p.m.

Unbelievable. How disappointing.

• Cali Coug Visalia, CA
    March 1, 2011 6:48 p.m.

Hang in there Brandon, the Y is a great place to get an education...look forward to seeing you play next year.

• Hawkeye79 Iowa City, IA
    March 1, 2011 6:47 p.m.

It's a shame that Davies put himself in this position, but every BYU student knows exactly what they sign up for.

Kudos to the school for showing that the Honor Code is more than just a piece of paper, even when it may impact the success of its athletic teams.

• Kyle loves BYU/Jazz Provo, UT
    March 1, 2011 6:45 p.m.

Ughh. I can't believe this. The best season in the history of BYU basketball just took a huge hit. Sad. Sad. Sad.

Players stepped up when Chris Collinsworth went down for the season. Hopefully they can do it again now.

• h00plah Provo, UT
    March 1, 2011 6:44 p.m.

• Cosmo Springville, UT
    March 1, 2011 6:42 p.m.

This just shows you that the university views the rules and regulations as more important than a better chance at making a deep run in the NCAA Tournament.

I hope Davies gets this all cleared up so he can play next year.

Go Cougars!

• just-a-fan Bountiful, UT
    March 1, 2011 6:40 p.m.

As they say, "Timing is everything."

• Alpine Coug Alpine, UT
    March 1, 2011 6:39 p.m.

Oh no! Not certain that anyone can replace Brandon. There go our dreams of a run to the Final Four.

So sorry for Brandon and for the team

• localblue Sandy, UT
    March 1, 2011 6:37 p.m.

• RaininTime Orem, UT
    March 1, 2011 6:37 p.m.

Shock, dismay, crash.

But when you sign your name and claim to live a code, as one who donates to the University, I expect it to be lived. And no amount of success will ever compensate for a person's violation of their word.

And while this certainly hurts BYU's chances in the NCAA, Brandon knows better.

I love you Brandon, above all things BYU, I love ya son.