BYU, Utah State basketball: Cougars jump to No. 3 in the coaches poll; Aggies No. 21

• casual observer Salt Lake City, UT
    March 1, 2011 3:05 p.m.

As the Utah fans like Chris B keep predicting a BYU loss, they will say "I told you," when it happens without accepting their myriad wrong predictions. It's as if everyday they predicted an earthquake and many years later when one happens they say "See I told you." Pretty insincere.

• cougar76 Provo, UT
    March 1, 2011 9:23 a.m.

All this talk about BYU/SDSU coming from a weak conference and not deserving a high seed doesn't mean anything. This is basketball, folks. Every team has to prove their worth in a game, not in some phony bcs ranking system.

• Darsh666 Provo, UT
    Feb. 28, 2011 11:40 p.m.

Your proposed conference is just the WAC/MWC with Arizona schools. If BYU was in the Pac10 they would go 5-7. Utah is going to learn the hard way what it's like having to play USC, Oregon, Stanford, Oregon State week in and week out, instead of Wyoming, UNLV, and New Mexico. The Pac 10 really messed up letting Colorado and Utah in. Colorado is at the basement of the Big 12, and Utah is an inferior program.

As far as basketball. Just wait until tournament time. The first high seed to lose will be BYU. I also just love watching the Utah Jazz flame out, I've always disliked Jerry Sloan(most overrated coach ever). Go Blazers!!!

• thebigsamoan Richmond, VA
    Feb. 28, 2011 11:05 p.m.

Amazing year for the Cougars so far! But now that the nation is finally taking notice and giving some respect, the expectations are now very high also for them to go deep in the ncaa tournament. Heaven forbid they loose in the first round again...I don't think I can stomach the ridicule that will be coming from the likes of Chris B, hedgehog, and all the other BYU haters. I hope Jimmer and the Cougars will continue to shine and do well. It's been a wonderful ride to say the least!

• UtahDoesntBelonginPac12 Provo, UT
    Feb. 28, 2011 10:45 p.m.

BYU will be one(possibly two or three if they get a high seed that they don't deserve.) and done come tournament time. Their record isn't a true statement of their talent. If they played in a real conference(the WCC is better than the MWC) people would see that they aren't that good.

• CaliforniaCougar Lake Elsinore, CA
    Feb. 28, 2011 10:23 p.m.

CBS really wants BYU to go deep in the Tourney. They smell the ratings of the Cougars going far. Jimmer Time in the Sweet 16, Elite 8, or Final Four would explode the ratings. CBS knows this. Therefore, TV will overrule any East Coast Bias ... and the result will be a No. 1 seed for the Cougars.

• #1FredetteFan Murray, UT
    Feb. 28, 2011 10:11 p.m.

Ohhhh--Rise and Shout! The Cougars are out!
    I'm so happy for BYU. They deserve this #3 spot, and i cannot wait to see where these last few games bring them! Congratulations again to Coach Rose and to the Team!
    GO COUGARS!!:)

Ps~I hope this game shows that even though Jimmer is AMAZING, and will forever be my hero, BYU is not just a one-man-team. Everyone's gotta be in it for the Win!!

• CougarOnTheProwl Murray, UT
    Feb. 28, 2011 10:03 p.m.

And here I thought BYU would be lucky to be ranked #4, finally some real well deserved respect from the nation. Way to go Cougars, keep it up and you will indeed be a #1 seed.

• mattb7 Sterling, VA
    Feb. 28, 2011 8:30 p.m.

Another Shoutout From Those Guys Up North

How can you not root for the Boys in Cougar Blue this March? For hoops fans, the Jimmer Show is about as good as it gets. Makes me miss the glory days of the Majerus era--Van Horn, Miller, Doleac--sigh. But even for die-hard Utes who come from entire clans of die-hard Utes, ya gotta put the rivalry aside for one glorious month of basketball heaven and say: Rock and roll BYU. You've got the goods to fly high in this Tourney. Fly.

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Feb. 28, 2011 7:47 p.m.

Wow!! Good job Cougs. You bumped down my Dukies but that's okay, they deserve it for losing at VA. Tech arrrrrgh.
    BYU is going to be fun to watch. Hope Jimmer and co. can bring it come March Madness. who cares about the MWC tourney, it won't matter if BYU takes the championship there, they will still be seeded right where they need to be to make a run.

Chris B. ahahahahahahahahhaa thanks for keeping tabs on your hero Jimmer and the mighty Cougs EVERY day.

• MichiganCoog Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Feb. 28, 2011 6:59 p.m.

Wow, it is awefully quiet on these boards, no hedgie...I am sure he is off to an anger managment course on how to cope w/ BYU's successes of late. Sad thing for him, and other Coog haters, is that the fun has only just begun. Next fall will be the kiss of death for all Ute fans in general, BYU cleans up on the hardwoods, w/ a potential run deep into March Madness, only to be followed w/ a mighty exciting Football season next fall!

Great time to be a cougar, not so much for our dear ute friends, who have nothing to cheer for...Long cold winter on the hill, w/ a upset stomach last fall on the gridiron, to total embarrasments on the hill's horizon next fall...poor utesies...

• Big Hapa Kaysville, UT
    Feb. 28, 2011 6:30 p.m.

RE: WA Alum

Right smack dab down on the money with your MWC lame lopsided ref no calls jeez can you be more obvious.

Now we will see what they do not call in the MWC tourney ?

However, I am not so sure about the corruption angle, I think its more that they are PO'd about the Y leaving, TCU departing and Utah as well which will plunge the conference into mediocrity, the out lying conference so to speak.

Keep your ears pinned back and roll this Wednesday and Saturday boy's take care of business and get the top seed in the MWC tourney win out and bring on post season.

Go Cougs !

Poly Cougar Nation

• spud Payson, UT
    Feb. 28, 2011 6:18 p.m.

ok folks idahospud here you see something saturday? hackin on jimmer? two memories come to mind. first boscoe they were in the backfeild before the ball was snapped second danny ainge was hacked and called a crybaby his whole career. my fellow nation of cougars and cougarettes. what we saw saturday was better. it was a selfless act.a team effort. gonna be hard to dribble like danny, but dangit jimmer you got the team. take us to the final four. then after that history is on your side. this school can win it all under the worst officiating and beaten team members [ harstock ]. boscoe. ie just go back folks. yehawwwwwwwww number 3 relish it cougars its our best ticket to cinderelllas dance since 84. ra ra ra ra ra gooooooooooo cougars

• Where's Stockton ??? Bowling Green, OH
    Feb. 28, 2011 6:14 p.m.

@ChrisB's psychiatrist

If Chris B and Hedgie are the same person...(something I also wondered about )is there any confirmation yet that he/she is also a bored entry level monitor for these blogs working the graveyard shift at the DN??? It would certainly explain a lot of things.

• Where's Stockton ??? Bowling Green, OH
    Feb. 28, 2011 6:05 p.m.

Got to admit ...I'm amazed. BYU came out better than I expected I thought that BYU would only move up to SDSU postions from last week while SDSU would drop 5 in each poll. Surprised Duke was behind BYU Never sceases to amaze

• Mountanman Hayden, ID
    Feb. 28, 2011 5:40 p.m.

To Chris B's psychaitrist: I am so very relieved Chris/Hedgehog is(are) finally getting the professional help they(he) so desperatly needs. I presume he is on Medicare and that our tax dollars are going to good use in his (their) case(s).
    On behalf of thousands, no millions, of BYU fans, we thank you for helping our friend(s) Chris/Hedgehog, and who knows, maybe someday they can join us?

• BYUalum South Jordan, UT
    Feb. 28, 2011 4:52 p.m.

What an exciting time to be a BYU Cougar fan! Congratulations on being #3 in the polls. It sets just right with us. Now let's get to work and and finish the job with NM and Wyoming. Then on to tournament. Jimmer feeds off the competition with drive and commitment. He inspires and leads the team with his positive demeanor. This is what they have been playing for all year.

We will be there Wednesday and Saturday in our white BYU shirts and will get ready to be hoarse from yelling for our team. Boy or boy, we knew this was THE year to get season tickets!

Go Cougars!

• Chris B's psychiatrist Iowa City, IA
    Feb. 28, 2011 4:47 p.m.

To: Jedro, Mountanman et al.
    I should clarify, I am one of only several consultants on Chris B/Hedgehog's case. Thorazine, along with other neuroleptics, have been tried. He, like others with similar symptoms, are non-compliant (they stop taking their medications as soon as the meds start to work).

• Tommy2Shoes Lehi, UT
    Feb. 28, 2011 4:39 p.m.

I don't care what seed we get. Right now I want the Cougars to thump New Mexico and then TCU. My wife and I are fortunate to have season tickets to the greatest show in Utah. A regular season championship is the first goal. Get a #1 seed in the Vegas Invitational and we skip the home team until the championship game. One game at a time. The rest is out of our hands. Just win and enjoy the Jimmertime.

• football43 Morgan, UT
    Feb. 28, 2011 4:01 p.m.

I have said for several months that Chris B is a "Cougar fan in Ute clothing".

Pay no attention to him. All he wants is attention. Sad man/women/kid......

• A_Chinese_American Cedar Hills, UT
    Feb. 28, 2011 3:40 p.m.

Go Cougars! and BEAT New Mexico this Wednesday!

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Feb. 28, 2011 3:29 p.m.

I thought the SDSU game was the best game the entire team has played all year! If they continue to play at that level, nobody will stop them!

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Feb. 28, 2011 3:15 p.m.

Shouldn't a teams ranking match its RPI? The Aztecs got jilted as some of the teams ahead of them have loss more games with higher RPI numbers. Cougs should be #1. Like 1984, some will feel the cougs don't deserve it's ranking.

• SeattleUhasabballteam? Seattle, Wa
    Feb. 28, 2011 3:08 p.m.

Hey Yewt fans:

We'll worry about our number 1 seed in the NCAA tourney, you worry about trying to win your last 2 reg season games, and figuring out how not to get smoked by 30+ in the first round of the MWC so you can get back to your fav post season tourn: the CBI.

As far as BYU is concerned there is not much difference between, the last number 1 seed and the first number 2 seed.

• jmstoker Colorado Springs, CO
    Feb. 28, 2011 2:45 p.m.

Awesome...what a great year to be a cougar fan...I also believe the ratings were too hard on SDSU...they shouldnt have dropped to 9th.....

• Mountanman Hayden, ID
    Feb. 28, 2011 2:45 p.m.

Re; Chris B's psychiatrist! Brilliant diagnosis! I always suspected he suffered from schizophrenia. Now maybe he can get the treatment he needs. Would massive doses of thorazine be appropriate for him? Or maybe just lots of theraputic counseling sessions?

• Utah Businessman Sandy, UT
    Feb. 28, 2011 2:17 p.m.

Poor Chris B--he has to been suffering a lot!

I think the numbers here are a pretty good indication of the "population"--several very classy comments from Ute fans and just one "sour grapes". Thanks Utes, and best of luck to the Cougars and the Utes in the MWC tournament. As a BYU fan, I also must give credit to the Utes for doing what BYU could not do this year--beat NM at the Pit--great performance!

Final word--Go Cougs!

• CG Orem, UT
    Feb. 28, 2011 2:14 p.m.

Pay no attention to our little troll friend. His comments passed into the twilight zone a long time ago and now scream the desperation of an anguished soul.

• Chris_B Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 28, 2011 2:11 p.m.

I hope the tds get a 1 seed.

And with that great seed they could very likely win the championship!

More likely they'll sweep the MWC Tourney, and then well you know where this is headed...

• jedro Idaho Falls, ID
    Feb. 28, 2011 2:10 p.m.

@Chris B's psychiatrist:
    Please help Chris B move to reality. He needs help moving out of his mother's basement with his collection of outdated Ute memorabilia. He fancies himself as a gambling man, but I doubt that he will actually spend the money. Be sure you deal in cash with this guy as he has a tendency to disapear at times. You have your work cut out for you.

• Chris B's psychiatrist Iowa City, IA
    Feb. 28, 2011 1:50 p.m.

I have finally concluded that Chris B and Hedgehog are the same individual. Besides the fact that they suffer from the same psychopathology, Chris B was absent from posting on BYU stories for quite some time until Hedgehog promised to not comment if BYU beat SDSU. BYU wins and Hedgehog disappears, but Chris B comes back with vengeance. Based on my analysis, neither Hedgehog or Chris B would be able to refrain from commenting on BYU articles for very long (even to keep a promise). Thus, they must be the same person.

• NevadaCoug Overton, NV
    Feb. 28, 2011 1:44 p.m.

I've had a lot of people coming up to work today and telling me this:

"BYU is a really good team. They deserve a number 1 seed."

As fans, we can look forward to this. But hopefully the team is just focused on one thing: New Mexico.

• FYI Taylorsville, UT
    Feb. 28, 2011 1:37 p.m.

@BP, actually Utah was the #3 seed in the NCAA tournament in 1998. I hope the Y fairs better this year.

• Over the Top Rigby, ID
    Feb. 28, 2011 1:34 p.m.

Totally awesome to see the Cougars keep moving up in the polls!! But keep in mind there are a couple of conference games left, then the MWC Tournament - where BYU hopefully will play [SDSU??]for the outright conference title - and then on to the NCAA. With that said - I'm hoping for a final-four showing and will be disappointed if it's anything less than an elite-eight. Because, the polls are good, but in reality it's what the TEAM does in the NCAA - not those voting in the polls - that gets in the history books. In the meantime, Jimmer & Co. are a blast to watch!

• 3grandslams Iowa City, IA
    Feb. 28, 2011 1:26 p.m.

That's a great top 5! Each team brings something to the table! March is going to be so fun.

Go Cougars!

• SyracuseCoug Syracuse, ut
    Feb. 28, 2011 1:24 p.m.

I don't think this posted so here we go again-

Congrats Cougs on the rankings! Awesome job, now do your homework and then get back in the gym and prepare for the rest of the season.

Chris b, you've been wrong so many times this year I don't take your posts seriously anymore. I used to think you were just a big Ute fan, but now I think you're just a big BYU hater. Don't let that anger eat you up inside, it's not healthy.

To the classy Ute fans, thanks for the props, I wish your teams luck also as you enter the Pac 12 this year.

GO BYU!!!!!

• Idaho guy Meridian, ID
    Feb. 28, 2011 1:10 p.m.

Major kudos to the 5 AP writers voting BYU #1
    John Feinstein of NPR
    Mark Berman Roanoke Times
    Jerry Tipton Lexington Kentucky Herald Leader
    Joey Johnston The Tampa Tribune
    Scott Reid the Orange County Register

Small kudos to Provo's own Jason Franchuk for being an AP voter and for voting BYU #3 (wonder if he will join others later, but not having Provo's voter be one of the 5 adds credence to the 5)...

• sid 6.7 Holladay, UT
    Feb. 28, 2011 1:04 p.m.

Tried and true Ute fan here but I have to tell you I am really enjoying BYU and Utah State's success this year. I firmly believe BYU will win the National Championship.

I wish you Zoobs down there the best of luck in the tourney. I'll be rootn for ya!

Let's bring it home Cougars!

• wyoming cougar Green River, WY
    Feb. 28, 2011 1:01 p.m.

"CanDo | 12:26 p.m. Feb. 28, 2011
    Perry, UT
    Thanks for the comments UTE Fans. Nice show of class!! "

Dude- it looks like you spoke to soon- I was thinking the same thing and then along comes chris again. Some people just can't bring themselves to being complimentary. Oh well, life is short to not be happy. This constant jealousy and bitterness must be eating at you terribly chris. Good luck.

• BP Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 28, 2011 12:53 p.m.

@ KamUte. I remember when that happened to Utah in 1998! No love for the WAC (partially because it really wasn't any good at that time, anyways). I hope the same thing doesn't happen to BYU, but it wouldn't surprise me if it did. Utah had a proven track record in the tournament at that time, and was number 2 in the nation (if I remember correctly), and still got a 2 seed!

Hopefully times have changed and the competition was good enough for BYU to land a #1 seed (although I'd rather BYU play a weak 7 seed than a strong 8 or 9...its usually all about the pairings).

• stokethefire The Planet, Earth
    Feb. 28, 2011 12:50 p.m.

I am so happy for the seniors on this squad. This has got to be a fulfillment of goals made years ago to be the best of the best. No, this is not 20 years ago, this is the team we are cheering for now and it is great to be a part of the magic.

Now we finish strong and go deep in the NCAA touney.

Even the polls are getting jimmered.

GO COUGARS!!!!

• williary Kearns, UT
    Feb. 28, 2011 12:47 p.m.

Congrats. When you hit 14 3's and 58% from the behind the arc with guys like Abouo and Hartsock nailing everything they throw up, it's hard to lose even to a good team. As a Utah fan, it's envious to see a coach who gets the most out of every player.

As far the a #1 seed goes, I think that only happens with another win over SDSU in the tourney. RPI is important, but as the committee has shown leaving out a top 20 RPI USU a few years ago, it's not the deciding factor. They love to look at road wins versus good teams, that's why the Big East teams tend to get bumped a seed or two when the brackets come out. Right now BYU has SDSU in that column, but not much else, UNLV/CSU? Arizona will be given less credit because it was a home site/neutral win at the ESA. UCLA might have sealed the deal.

• christoph Brigham City, UT
    Feb. 28, 2011 12:43 p.m.

Kansas State in the second round is a scary game, which is what some are predicting.

• AK Cougar Palmer, AK
    Feb. 28, 2011 12:43 p.m.

Ratings are cool. Now back to work on the UNM game for Wednesday.

• MNL84 Riverside, CA
    Feb. 28, 2011 12:39 p.m.

Congratulations to BYU. They are having a great season and I am glad they are getting some national recognition. I hope they will do as well in the NCAA tournament. It is also nice to see Utah State back in the top 25.

• Anonymous Infinity American Fork, UT
    Feb. 28, 2011 12:37 p.m.

Great achievement. Now finish the regular season and the MWC tournament undefeated, and we'll see what happens. It was great to see the Cougar's composure in an extremely hostile environment. A couple of things I noticed:
    1. Constant booing of James Fredette while he had the ball.
    2. Mocking the Church with people in the stands in that one section on the end of the court, dressed as missionaries (white shirts, ties, and bicycle helmets) cheering the Aztecs constantly.

What a testament to over the top anti behavior towards BYU and the LDS Church.

Congratulations to Coach Rose and his staff and the stellar play the Cougars showed on national television. I still don't like a lot of the constant editorializing effecting the lack of play by play of the game in progress. Why can't some of these broadcasting/telecasting crews take note of some of the ESPN and NBA TV channels of the play by play rhetoric that calls the games? I get tired of the broadcasters who seem to be locked into the commercial aspects and fail to call the game. That's what I liked about guys like Hotrod Hundley for instance.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 28, 2011 12:36 p.m.

I hope the tds get a 1 seed.

They could very likely be the first 1 seed to lose to a 16, ever!

More likely they'll lose to new mexico again, lose to either sdsu or unlv in the tournamnet, get a #4 seed, cry about that seed, and then well you know where this is headed

• Duh west jordan, ut
    Feb. 28, 2011 12:35 p.m.

I agree with CanDo. There are just a couple of UTE fans who are probably still trying to figure out just what kind of negative comments they can come up with. Great Job BYU, lets hope you end the season on an even higher note.

• CanDo Perry, UT
    Feb. 28, 2011 12:26 p.m.

Thanks for the comments UTE Fans. Nice show of class!!

• yankees27 Heber, Utah
    Feb. 28, 2011 12:20 p.m.

@ the spiker, dude be careful what you wish for! why would you encourage trolls? I'm a UtahMan, but I respect talent, Jimmer is the real deal, and after watching the game on Sat., I honestly think this team is a legitimate Final Four team! So, no trolling here! Of course I wished the U was better this year, and yes I hope we meet you in the conf. tourney and beat the Y, but this is the Y's year, I wish them all the luck!

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Feb. 28, 2011 12:19 p.m.

Number one RPI in the fourth rated conference? Why wouldn't they get a #1 seeding? This is the highest MWC rated team ever. Only a person suffering depression would bet against the cougs.

• Skippy West Jordan, UT
    Feb. 28, 2011 12:18 p.m.

Congrats to the Cougars and the Fans! This will be a great March Madness to watch. I can't wait! I LOVE MARCH MADNESS!!!

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    Feb. 28, 2011 12:18 p.m.

Congratulations BYU. The only way I see them not getting a #1 seed is if they stumble in the conference tourney.

• TheSpiker Alpine, UT
    Feb. 28, 2011 12:16 p.m.

If it's OK with you, we'd like to keep Dave at BYU for a while.

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    Feb. 28, 2011 12:12 p.m.

#3 in both polls. That is more respect than I thought they would get from the media. A lot of national love. I diddn't think a 1 seed was possible a month ago but I think they might do it. Hoping for a 7 or 8 seed for USU but that might be stretching it.
    Go big blues(both of them).

• UteMiguel Go Utes, CA
    Feb. 28, 2011 12:09 p.m.

Good job, BYU. Dr. Hill, please see if Dave Rose would like the opportunity to build a quality PAC-12 program from the ground up.

• rogerdpack2 Orem, UT
    Feb. 28, 2011 12:08 p.m.

congrats to the cougs and aggs!

• statman9 South Jordan, UT
    Feb. 28, 2011 12:08 p.m.

Well deserved, BYU has proven itself all year, just how good they are. I think the NM loss at the Pit was a fluke.

• Jimmer Time Durham, North Carolina
    Feb. 28, 2011 12:08 p.m.

#3 in the Nation is something to be excited about. But remember, it doesn't really matter come March.

• TheSpiker Alpine, UT
    Feb. 28, 2011 12:06 p.m.

We had 2 first place votes in the AP poll last week. This week we have 5 "converts".

The Aggies should be higher, especially after avenging the Idaho loss.

Hurry, trolls, tell us how bad we are etc, etc, etc.

• SammyB Provo, UT
    Feb. 28, 2011 12:03 p.m.

Now, how to come out of the clouds to concentrate on getting through a regular Monday. Way to go Cougars!!!

• KamUte South Jordan, UT
    Feb. 28, 2011 11:54 a.m.

I'm a Ute that wants BYU to have a good showing. I hoping the East Coast Bias doesn't give BYU a 3rd or 4th seed. It happened to my Utes a few times.

• TMung99 Bluffdale, Utah
    Feb. 28, 2011 11:46 a.m.

There will be no hedge comment!!!! Oh how I love that we beat SDSU. This is amazing! I have never seen us ranked ahead of Duke when Duke has been ranked number 1 twice in the same year.... weird year never ever ever would have expected us to go up this far in the polls.

• Iggle Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 28, 2011 11:44 a.m.

Great job, Cougs! Aggies should be higher ...

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    Feb. 28, 2011 11:38 a.m.

I find it interesting after having 2 first place votes last week there are none after the big win. What is up with that?

The high ranking will help us in the seeding, but other than that don't think too much of it. Now we have to go out and show that we deserve that kind of ranking as we go to tournament. "Just win, baby!"

• TheSportsAuthority Arlington, VA
    Feb. 28, 2011 11:38 a.m.

Pale Bear

No #1 votes from the coaches doesn't mean anything. The polls don't determine seeding,

the Selection Committee would have a VERY hard time explaining why a #3 or #2 or even #1-ranked BYU, with a #1 RPI, and a #10 SOS, wasn't awarded a #1 seed.

BYU just needs to win out and the #1 seed is a virtual lock for the Cougars.

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    Feb. 28, 2011 11:36 a.m.

That they have national respect and recognition of the coaches is much more impressive than having that of the media. The Cougars have really taken control of their destiny this year. It will be interesting to see what the AP poll does to them. This is the time of year where the East coast bias shows up the strongest. USU should probably be back in there too.
    Great job Cougars and Aggies.

• WA_Alum&Dad Marysville, WA
    Feb. 28, 2011 11:31 a.m.

I've mentioned this on another article, but I think that up until this weekend, the Mountain West Conference had it in for BYU, and wanted to have them lose. This is why the refereeing has been so one-sided for the past month.

But now that BYU has beaten SDSU, the MWC's fair-haired child of the year, at home and for the second time, and since BYU has become somewhat of a darling in the national media, as much as they hate it, it is now very much in the MWC's interest to see the Cougars win out and get the highest NCAA tournament seed possible (unless SDSU and BYU meet for the MWC tournament championship game--then the refs will be back to their old tricks). So watch for a much more balanced call of fouls on Jimmer and the boys this week and in the MWC tournament. And as nice as that will be, it will be proof positive of how corrupt the MWC conference is. Good riddance!

• So. Cal Reader Escondido, CA
    Feb. 28, 2011 11:26 a.m.

Congrats to the Cougs! Obviously the direction a team wants to be going so late in the season, but still a lot to shoot for. I could care less what seed they are in the tourney, so long as they go deep. Anything below a Sweet 16 birth will be a disappointment. Ancillary players are coming on when they need to. Best game of the season on Saturday!

• plyxply SLC, UT
    Feb. 28, 2011 11:25 a.m.

this could be the best college hoops year in a long time here in Utah. It isn't a stretch to see USU and BYU winning games in the tourney and if USU can get up to a 7 seed they could make the sweet 16.
    BYU deserves the great ranking and are a lot of fun to watch even for those of us who aren't zoobs.

• JTP Payson, UT
    Feb. 28, 2011 11:22 a.m.

Well deserved for good players and a great coach.

@Johnny Triumph - do you need to look for a negative?

Go Cougars, from a U of U grad.

• Rock Chalk BYU Lawrence, KS
    Feb. 28, 2011 11:16 a.m.

Well deserved. This **team** has showed that they can play with anybody, at any time, at any place. When they take the court, I see a will to win.

Honestly, I think they went to the NCAA tournament last year with one goal: to win a game, to get that monkey off their back. It really showed when they played K-State, they just looked like they were happy to be there, but they didn't have the eye of the tiger.

This time around, they have two great senior leaders on the team, and a fantastic coach. They have much higher goals.

To the detractors, hey look, you can't win 17 years worth of games in one tournament, so don't expect to see that. This teams is going to have a six-game path in front of them, and those games lie in the future, not in the past. Can't wait!!

• Striker Omaha, NE
    Feb. 28, 2011 11:13 a.m.

#3 is perfect, and with great company too. Ranked between Kansas and Duke is pretty dang sweet.
    This year has been so fun for BYU basketball!

• Northwest Coug Pasco, WA
    Feb. 28, 2011 11:12 a.m.

Huge jump! Looking for multiple No. 1 votes in the AP poll.

• Pale Bear Orem, UT
    Feb. 28, 2011 11:10 a.m.

Does still no first-place votes equate to no number 1 seed in the tourney?

• LonestarRunner Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 28, 2011 11:08 a.m.

Congratulations Cougars!

Beat New Mexico and Wyoming this week and you'll finish no worse than 3rd in the final polls before Selection Sunday.

The Cougars are starting to peak just in time for March Madness.

• Kyle loves BYU/Jazz Provo, UT
    Feb. 28, 2011 11:08 a.m.

RESPECT. Win out and get the #1 seed. Starts by getting revenge Wednesday against New Mexico.

• UteFan24 Murray, UT
    Feb. 28, 2011 11:07 a.m.

I can't wait to see what hedgehog says, honestly.

Well done, Cougars! Seriously, well done.

• Yner4Life Springville, UT
    Feb. 28, 2011 11:04 a.m.

That's what I'm talkin' about!

Great job and it reflects a lot of hard work from the whole team, not just Jimmer. But it doesn't hurt to have a POY candidate on your team, does it?

Well done Cougars!

• fresnogirl Fresno, CA
    Feb. 28, 2011 11:03 a.m.

WoW! Congratulations to Coach Rose and the team. keep up the great work!

• Shaden Lincoln, NE
    Feb. 28, 2011 11:03 a.m.

This is great news; here's to hoping for more victories and that number one NCAA seed! Go Cougars!

• Hawkeye79 Iowa City, IA
    Feb. 28, 2011 11:01 a.m.

Rise and shout!

• Johnny Triumph American Fork, UT
    Feb. 28, 2011 10:53 a.m.

Still no first-place votes from the coaches though...