Sports

Brad Rock: New-look, no-name Utah Jazz must move on

Comments

• kallen001 Harrisville, UT
    Feb. 28, 2011 11:28 a.m.

What was the highest seed the Jazz have had in the last 5 years? I think 6...
    We were a lightly above average team with Williams and Boozer. This team has not been a top 5 team in the NBA for 15yrs. Face the facts, rebuilding is better to start sooner than later.

I like how everyone is wondering how we are going to get a star back to SLC, the same way we have gotten all of them! Through the draft!

D-will is good, not great, he is a turnover machine for a PG. O'Conner put himself in this situation by not retaining Brewer, Korver, Mathews, but Boozer was gone either way. Take Booze out of that lineup and the Jazz are not very good. I personally like Jefferson's game better than Boozers (because he tries to play defense).

I will take 3 lottery picks any day over one 2-time all star who hates being in SLC any day.

• Kakashi Tokyo, Japan
    Feb. 27, 2011 9:12 a.m.

I'd like what Doctor J is having...its like cool aid...but it only makes you delusional...

@CJ Miles

Byron Russel > CJ Miles right now...but...i do have to admit...the first three losses the Jazz have...where in CJ played more than 30-35 mins...he did..well...a tad over mediocre...just a tad bit over...he did average around 20 a game...but what did it translate?...Losses...maybe...CJ should start...but...let Raja finish the game...we dont want CJ coming in...and just jacking up threes like there won't be a next game..

• Al Thepal Provo, UT
    Feb. 26, 2011 9:48 a.m.

The Jazz will not become the T-Wolves. They may not be good, but I doubt that bad. In the long run this trade will help the Jazz. And they still might make the playoffs this year. If not, then I say go Thunder in the playoffs.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Feb. 25, 2011 9:34 p.m.

Utah will move on alright... just like Cleveland in the East after LaBron left for sunny South Beach ... to the bottom of the division. The Jazz will fight hard and lose close but lose they will and often. Somehow I get the feeling next seasons seats at the Energy Solutions Arena will be discounted ... greatly.

• Iowa Jazz Fan 2 Cedar Rapids, IA
    Feb. 25, 2011 7:59 p.m.

Laugh all you want at the WP48 stats, but the fact is Bugoff is right. And, even without his WP48 stuff, he's the most balanced analyst on this board.

• trueblue87 Provo, UT
    Feb. 25, 2011 7:10 p.m.

Face it. The Jazz are a more often a better team when they don't have superstars on the team. When Boozer was injured last season, the Jazz played much better with Paul Millsap. This year without DWill, the Jazz won 2-4 and the 2 losses were close games. Playoffs here we come.

• dhsalum Saint George, UT
    Feb. 25, 2011 4:43 p.m.

Gotta have Millsap in that poll, come on... I dont know about everyone else but he is literally the only Jazz player I feel connected to now. Obviously thats a one-way connection, but who else would it be as the new "face of the franchise"?

• The Great Houdini Rye, CO
    Feb. 25, 2011 4:36 p.m.

all that wpa48 stuff is a bit much,I don`t read it a waste of time

• Captain L Provo, UT
    Feb. 25, 2011 4:32 p.m.

I like what KOC has done, I think it is what was necessary to have the team move forward. If he hadn't done it the team would have moved backward, as DWill would have left and we'd have not got nearly as much for him or got nothing for him.
    We have to be patient and not fair weather fans, hope for the best and just enjoy that we have an NBA team in Utah.

• JazzRule Bountiful, UT
    Feb. 25, 2011 4:21 p.m.

Scratch that, 4 lottery picks, Devin Harris went 5th the year before Deron WIlliams. I think we will be surprised by him. Look at his 2008-2009 highlights on youtube.

• JazzRule Bountiful, UT
    Feb. 25, 2011 4:19 p.m.

I am at work reading this during my breaks and I just laughed out loud so hard at what Geo guy said about WP48.

Thanks for the laugh. Haha, Im still laughing as I write this.

Anyway, ya, they will have 3 lottery picks by summer in Favors, Hayward, and the 2011 lottery pick (no way Deron "takes them to the playoffs").

It will be fun to follow. I am hoping to get tickets to a game soon to see the new guys and watch the team mesh and develop.

• CJ Miles Dallas, TX
    Feb. 25, 2011 3:50 p.m.

Shaybo: Get your stats right before you post. CJ is a better three point shooter than Wade, Kobe, Anthony and Westbrook. So do teams laugh their heads off at them? ha ha ha

By your reasoning, Kobe should not be playing at all. Nice post. Does Richfield have TV yet?

• shaybo Richfield, UT
    Feb. 25, 2011 3:18 p.m.

I can't believe KOC could not find a shooter. This team has no chance of making the playoffs with the pathetic outside shooting they have. KOC has forgotten how the team turned around after acquiring Korver just because they have to extend their defense. They now can look at CJ's 26% as the Jazz main outside threat and laugh their heads off. I don't know how you can shoot 36% from the field and still get the playing time he does, especially considering his defensive deficiencies.

• The Utah Republican Alpine, UT
    Feb. 25, 2011 3:14 p.m.

The Jazz have been in a tough spot or two before. I'd hardly call them "no name." They're the Jazz. That's a name, and one of the best.

• Bugoff Houston, TX
    Feb. 25, 2011 2:46 p.m.

In the past several of the positive Sloan biases automatically produced high WP48 scores.

However, this year his bias against shooting wings and the Front Office not replacing Boozer/Okur adequately bit the Jazz hard.

It is fixable.

Jerry was not a stat geek. But MOST of his biases mirror WP48. His thing was efficiency. Shooting efficiency and rebounding are two of the most important aspects of WP48. TOs and defense are most of the rest of the important elements.

That captures many of Sloan's positive biases. He tended to max WP48 without ever looking at it.

Sloan was a very good coach with a few quirks but he was very good.

He mostly did the right things when building a team.

• JazzMan Centerville, UT
    Feb. 25, 2011 2:42 p.m.

I totally understand why the Jazz did what they did, and I agree it's what had to be done, at this point.

One of the big reasons Deron would have left is because this franchise has been unable to resign anyone of value, i.e, Korver, Matthews, Boozer, Brewer, I suppose mainly because of the 17 million on the books for Kirilenko. By the way, who was the genius GM that made that contract? I like AK and think he has great skills, when he's healthy, but not 17 mil worth of skills.

So, yeah I can get behind watching the young guys develop, Favors, Evans, Hayward, ..maybe Fesenko, frankly I've seen enough of CJ's game to not expect much there.

But that's about it. There's plenty of bad basketball to go around with this group. When journeyman backups are playing key roles on your team you're in trouble. I've loved watching big Al play and improve, and Milsap.

But it could be a long wait for the W's to start coming with consistency again. And let's face it W's are much more fun to watch

• Bugoff Houston, TX
    Feb. 25, 2011 2:38 p.m.

WP48 relfects shooting efficiency, rebounding, TOs and defense. The Jazz are weak in all of those aspects.

They lack the right characteristics in enough of the right players. The system is also not being executed well enough.

As I said before this team was poorly designed on both Sloan biases and a lack of WP48.

However, the Sloan system is a pretty good one IF you have the right players to execute it and they actually do execute it.

WP48 is an indicator of applied talent that wins basketball games (at the collective level).

It is not an inditement of the Sloan system. It is an inditement of the player selection and implementation of the system.

The Sloan system has produced high WP48 scores in the past. This year is an anomalie. The system has been abused this year by bad player selection and a bias against outside shooting capability.

• Bugoff Houston, TX
    Feb. 25, 2011 2:32 p.m.

@ Doug 10 again

Besides I am not saying the Jazz should abandon the Sloan system.

I am saying that IF the Jazz had enough of the right players in the right positions the WP48s would reflect it. They would be challenging Dallas and LA.

And I am also pointing out that the Jazz system is not being implemented well enough or the WP48s would be much higher. They were much higher the first 2 months.

Since then the 3 point shooting has tanked and the system has bogged because smart defensive teams figured out how to exploit the weaknesses in the Jazz and defeat the system.

Is the system bad? There are about 5 variations of the system. Further, the Jazz do not have enough of the right players for the roles and the current players are not implementing well enough.

If that keep up you will get a different system that may not be better.

WP48 is about getting the right players with the right capabilities for the right roles and then getting them to execute well within the system.

You are not getting a system change UNLESS you continue with a low collective WP48.

• Miskky salt lake city, utah
    Feb. 25, 2011 2:31 p.m.

@JassRule

I agree with your comments. After all the great years with John and Karl, I thought the year without them when everyone expected the Jazz to fall off the map was one of the most fun to watch the Jazz. It changed my mind about Sloan because he took what he had and made the Jazz a fun team to watch. That is when he HAD to use AK correctly and we know the rest of the story.

• Miskky salt lake city, utah
    Feb. 25, 2011 2:23 p.m.

On Jan 17th the Jazz fell off a clift. I don't think the talent changed and the coaching certainly didn't change until just 4 games ago. For the severe drop off to occur something bad had to have happened. I disagree with most of this article. Since Jan 17 we are 3-14 with DWill and 0-1 without him. We'll see.

For the past 3 yrs at the beginning of the season I have predicted the Jazz record. I predict pessimistically so I could be pleasantly surprised. This year's perdiction was: 36-46. Up until Jan 17 I was optimistic they would do much better. After their lastest run, I figured if they win 4 more games we'll be lucky. With the changes, we still may not win many games but it at least we can't be much worst than where we were headed.

• Bugoff Houston, TX
    Feb. 25, 2011 2:19 p.m.

@Doug 10 I do not have time to publish the SA or LA WP48 scores right now but I can tell you by memory that LA has been over 150 for the last 3 years or so. I am sure SA is very high also. If you compute BOS, MIA CHI and ORL you will find the same thing.

If you are an elite team you have a high WP48 score in the top 8-9 players.

A year ago I ran them for the last couple of years playoffs and they predicted the winner in almost every playoff series.

Injuries and some teams get hot late and that may change the outcome of a series but you can handicap for those anomalies.

• Doctor J Manti, UT
    Feb. 25, 2011 2:18 p.m.

cj needs more shots!

If Stern would make the teams play more games (92 or 102 instead of 82), cj would get more minutes, and more shots, he has only been in the NBA for six years. He just doesn't get enough shots. If a new commissioner was in place I know cj would be an All-Star!

I don't think it is fair that Wes Matthews should flourish as a legit NBA player with only 1 year in the NBA. cj is far superior to him in all areas...he just needs more shots.

Sloan was not giving him enough shots. Now Cobin is not giving him enough shots. When Corbin is gone...then cj will get more shots and everyone will finally know how wonderful cj really is!

• Bugoff Houston, TX
    Feb. 25, 2011 2:11 p.m.

Actually Millsap was kind of replaced by a committee of AK, Elson and Fes. But moving AK to PF caused a weak wing to replace AK.

Elson is a -.07, Okur is a -.08 and Fes is -.15 Price is a -.14 The lack of a quality bench is killing the Jazz but less of a problem than weak wings who get more minutes.

If Favors gets most of the back up minutes at PF/C and he continues to improve that is very positive for the Jazz. It then is a matter of getting at least one very good wing, improving the bench (cheap) and improving the D (more difficult).

The Jazz can be fixed but the overall team wp48 has to be as high as possible. The Jazz will be Cleveland if they ignor that principle. Firing Corbin will not change anything. If you do not have the right combination of players the Coach is pretty much not relavent.

• JazzRule Bountiful, UT
    Feb. 25, 2011 1:37 p.m.

@netmaster

I agree with you.

Yeah, big men like Shaq, Gasol, Howard, Duncan just don't come along very often and the teams that land them are VERY lucky.

I still like Jefferson and Millsap, but the addition of Favors excites me. He can learn some things from those guys. Millsap can teach him how to improve his offense the way he did by adding his jumper. I've heard Favors is a hard worker like Millsap, lets hope so.

• JazzRule Bountiful, UT
    Feb. 25, 2011 1:25 p.m.

@JazzMan

Sure why not continue the support. They need us now as much as when they are winning. We can't be fairweather fans. Look at Cleveland. They still sell out their arena.

Why not enjoy watching these guys mesh and the young guys develop. Some of my favorite moments from this year have been watching Jeremy Evans play more and dunk and also shoot some sweet jump shots and also, I have enjoyed seeing those good games Hayward has had.

Why not have fun with them during this time. I think we have been spoiled with making the playoffs every year, we haven't had to experience any rebuilding.

And to be honest, after January and Feb this year, did you think we were going for a championship this year even with Deron? I didn't. Now we have pieces to watch grow and it will be lots more fun to follow than to hear Deron for the next year "I don't know, I'll see how next season goes" and "Depends on the CBA" "Depends on the moves we make"

EMphatic no

• netmaster Farmington, UT
    Feb. 25, 2011 1:25 p.m.

I strongly disagree with Rock's statement that the Jazz are not better after the trade. One of Utah's major weaknesses has been D-Will's propensity to make turnovers, especially in critical situations. He also was a failure as a leader. The team lacked chemistry and often settled for outside jumpers instead of working for easy shots. Since when has a second string outplayed a first string in the NBA, not just once but multiple times? And was D-Will a great defender? Hardly. Basketball is a team sport. Very, very few players can "take over" a game consistently -- maybe 10 players in the history of the NBA. D-Will is not in that group. The Jazz have another major weakness: It lacks skilled big men, which is true of probably two-thirds of the teams in the league. This trade has already brought a lottery big man, No. 3 in the draft, AND it might bring another lottery big man this year and another the following year. The Jazz were not going to get better very fast under D-Will. Now the team has a chance. I'm excited to watch what happens next.

• JazzMan Centerville, UT
    Feb. 25, 2011 12:59 p.m.

I'm giving all my DWill Jerseys/t-shirts to charity then I'm going to by one with the name "POTENTIAL" on the back because that's basically all you have to really hang your hat on with this team for the coming future.

The question I, and many like me have to ask is are we willing to pay the money to go to Jazz games to watch a 30-35 win team with some future unknown date potential?

I'd say at least 3 yrs MINIMUM before we're a real good team again.

• Captain L Provo, UT
    Feb. 25, 2011 12:43 p.m.

Houdini: Your not going to let up on CJ are you. CJ is inconsistent but he is not the whole problem, and he isn't that bad. I smile everytime I read your posts because they will almost always slam CJ.

We have alot of young players now that need to develop and it is probably going to be a long difficult period of time for these young guys to develop and mature. A few of them will need to mature and become leaders which at this point they are not. I hope they step up sooner instead of later but like Holt56 said, we need to be patient and hope for the best.

• The Great Houdini Rye, CO
    Feb. 25, 2011 12:05 p.m.

Until we get rid of miles,who has zero work ethic along with his lack of effort and commitment, which WILL rub off on all our players .He is lazy,over-rated and at 3.7 million per year ,WAY overpaid,This team will never content with miles on the team

• arod Ogden, UT
    Feb. 25, 2011 11:49 a.m.

Looked at remaining schedules regarding Jazz' chances of making the playoffs. San Antonio, Dallas, Lakers, Thunder, New Orleans probably have the top 5 seeds wrapped up. Portland, Memphis, and Denver look to battle it out for the last three playoff spots---and with their schedules should only lose 10 or12 games thereby finishing with record of around 45-37. That really puts pressure on the Jazz to have a chance to make the playoffs, because the Jazz have so many tough games remaining that they might be doing well to go 12-12 and thereby finish 43-39. If they got hot and finished 16-8 then they would make the playoffs, but that would require winning lots of road games: tonight at Indiana, at Detroit, at New York, at Houston, and at Memphis. It would take some quick jelling as a team to get hot; more likely they will just struggle to finish 41-41, and a final record worse than 45-37 will not likely make the playoffs. It would seem like there is just too much turmoil to suddenly get hot down the stretch.

• holt56 Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 25, 2011 11:46 a.m.

When the Seattle Sonics moved to Oklahoma City, they didn't have a bonified star, just a bunch of players with potential. Now, Durrant and Westbrook have emerged, and the team is a real contender. The Jazz are in the same exact position right now. Let's be a little patient. Of course, it's unnerving to lose your franchise player. But another one could easily emerge. The Jazz have the talent now to be in the playoff hunt. They just need to get on the same page and play like they want it.

• Observation-ist Ogden, UT
    Feb. 25, 2011 11:27 a.m.

I believe Deron wants a championship bad enough that he would have left, believing that the Jazz wouldn't spend enough to surround him with the talent required to compete with the likes of Miami, New York, Boston, or Chicago. In that context, I'm guardedly excited about moving forward.

I'm excited about the 'potential' of Derrick Favors. I'm all for having Karl Malone as an assistant over strength and conditioning as well as coaching the low post players. Millsap, Jefferson, and Favors could all take many lessons from Karl.

I'm totally fine with Harris as a PG. If my memory serves me correctly, Jazz fandome was happy when Dallas sent him to NJ for Jason Kidd. Devin, if he's coachable, will be a fine PG.

I love Raja Bell ... when he was here last time or in Phoenix. If he can find the old Raja, I'm good at SG. If not, I pine for Matthews. I'm neutral on Korver. Yes, he could shoot, but his defense was 2nd class. Matthews is a much better choice (if there is a choice in the future).

• Iowa Jazz Fan 2 Cedar Rapids, IA
    Feb. 25, 2011 11:21 a.m.

@ CJ Miles: waiting for you to proclaim C. J. the new "face of the franchise" . . . .

• Bugoff Houston, TX
    Feb. 25, 2011 11:09 a.m.

Last year the top 9 (minutes played) players had a collective WP48 of .123.
    So far this year (including good start) it is .68 (includes DWill and not Harris)

That means that the team as a whole is really bad. That could be because of individual or collective play but most likely it is collective play.

In 2010, Booz .29, Dwill .24, AK .22, Mill .14, Korver .13, Brewer .12, Mathews .07, Okur .05, and CJ -.03 = .123

In 2011, DWill .22, AK .19, Mill .16, AJ .12, Watson .09, CJ .04, Bell .00 Hayward .00 and Price -.14 = .68

Millsap replaced Boozer, AJ replaced Okur. Nobody replaced Millsap. DWill and AK are down a little. Watson helped, CJ improved. Korver, Brewer, and Mathews were replaced with Bell, Hayward, and Price.

Harris over his years with NJ is .12 (this year), .07 and .15. He is replacing DWill at .22. Favors a rookie is at .08.

If Favors replaces Price in minutes, DWill for Harris/Favors is a wash.

There are 2 major glaring problems. Nobody replaced Millsap (maybe Favors?) and the wings are bad.

This is one camera angle. Big problem in the wings. Can't open the inside.

• JazzRule Bountiful, UT
    Feb. 25, 2011 11:08 a.m.

@CJ Miles.

I understand your concern about attracting free agents here because we dont have a "star." and its a valid concern. But the truth is, Deron himself admitted he has been "recruiting the heck out of people" and nobody still wanted to come.

For smaller market teams we have to count on smart draft picks, good trades and the new CBA. I think the NBA realizes they need to make changes that will be more like the way the NFL does business if they want to have more than 5 teams that are viable.

We do have shots to make this happen. The Thunder have been smart about picks and trades and they are contenders now. So we need to do the same things.

In summary, when the season started I was optimistic, then in January that all took a 180, then when they traded Deron, I am back to optimistic. We have some sweet picks ahead and I am happy about the two players we got. Big man with lots of upside and a former allstar PG who went what 5th in the draft the year before Deron. WOOT

• Goodmorning5 Pleasant Grove, Utah
    Feb. 25, 2011 11:00 a.m.

Harris has game! You need to give him his chance. Wait n see... He will shine and by next year at this time you won't even remember Deron...
    Go JAZZ!

• Bugoff Houston, TX
    Feb. 25, 2011 10:28 a.m.

Trading DWill actually made the system worse in the short run. However, you can make a case for trading DWill as a long run strategic move.

I for one think Greg made the right move. A difficult bold move but the right one for the franchise in the long run. The Jazz could not fix the system without draft picks and replacing wings with better players. It is best to get all of the controversy over with and rebuild now and in the lock out year.

They could trade AK but he was not nearly as good as trade bait. They could trade Millsap but he is a good contract. It is easier to replace a PG (even a star who can shoot) than to replace a good big.

• Captain L Provo, UT
    Feb. 25, 2011 10:20 a.m.

Bugoff: You make some good points, the numbers don't lie. Getting some productive wings is something I think they see but don't want to act on. I think they see CJ and Hayward as young talents that will develop.
    CJ has had almost 6 yrs and is still struggling, I feel Hayward will develop and be very good but we still need proven shooters on the wing.

Miles: You keep saying we don't have a legit 2 but that is where CJ is best suited to play. Actually both CJ and Hayward are best suited to play the 2, we need to get a(or2)long athletic 3, that can shoot.
    This draft could be a mess, with the possible lock out looming, some of the players we could get may decide not to enter the draft because of the lock out question.

• Vince the boonies, mexico
    Feb. 25, 2011 10:15 a.m.

@Johnson 72. Your comment comments are old. How is your personal life working out? Did your parents offend you in some way? Does being negative about our local team make you feel good? What do you do day to day that makes you feel positive? Oh well!

• cedar Holladay, UT
    Feb. 25, 2011 10:11 a.m.

ok, we should get a nice player at five or six this summer in the draft. i wonder also if we can bring over tomac from spain as he is a good player.
    thanks.

• CJ Miles Dallas, TX
    Feb. 25, 2011 9:48 a.m.

My question is: Is the Jazz have no star power, how are they going to attract other stars to Utah? In Dwill they had someone who could recruit other players.

Now who is going to want to come to Utah to play?

The Jazz may have good pieces but will they be able to add to them?

And why on earth do they need three power forwards when they have no legit 2?

• Doug10 Roosevelt, UT
    Feb. 25, 2011 9:06 a.m.

I think the Jazz are about ready to drop a proven playoff system and go with Bugoff's WP4824 system.

I wonder if Phil Jackson or Greg Popovich know the Jazz have this magical formula for winning that does not need a coach or a system, just numbers.

• JazzMan Centerville, UT
    Feb. 25, 2011 8:34 a.m.

"I wouldn't be doing my job if I said that was the end of the moves," My word man, put down the phone already!

Williams, Boozer, Kover, Brewer, Matthews that's a pretty good team right there. Much better than we currently have.

The way I see it is that our biggetst problem was Kirilenko's crippling contract. If it weren't for that we could have kept those guys.

And someone answer me a question, why didn't the Jazz offer Matthews a contract extension BEFORE Portland offerend him the huge contract that the Jazz could not match?

I actaully didn't go in on season tickets to watch KOC wheel and deal. I'd really rather haved watched good basketball.

• In My Humble Opinion South Jordan, UT
    Feb. 25, 2011 7:56 a.m.

Remind me again who the "name" player was on the Jazz when Dantley was traded and Stockton and Malone were relative infants? How'd that work out?

• In My Humble Opinion South Jordan, UT
    Feb. 25, 2011 7:55 a.m.

DWill down big in WP48.

WP48 mainly captures overall offensive efficiency and some defense. The Jazz as a team are INEFFICIENT.

The system is busted. It does not work or it is not being implemented well enough.
    --------

Hence, trading D-Will.

• JKR Holladay, UT
    Feb. 25, 2011 6:13 a.m.

That's kinda mean about Latvia, a Baltic country that became independent from Russia. I'm sure those living in Riga believe themselves to be at the center of the world, just like those who live in Salt Lake City....

• Anonigma Murray, UT
    Feb. 25, 2011 1:38 a.m.

What if Derrick Favors becomes the face of the franchise? That's what makes this deal so potentially great.

What if Devin Harris becomes the face of the franchise?
    When he was in Dallas, he was pretty stellar. I believe (not sure) he was part of that Dallas team with Avery Johnson that went ~61-21. Dallas wanted him really bad this year too. If he works with Hornaceck on his shot, he could become great.
    He's the same size as Williams, but lighter. What he gives up in strength, he makes up with athleticism. He can sure dunk better than Williams and is faster.

The downside is that neither of these player perform to their caliber, but you still have the future draft picks if that doesn't happen.

• Bugoff Houston, TX
    Feb. 25, 2011 1:26 a.m.

@Johnson I would not laugh to hard. There are several teams in the West who are a lot better than last year and they do not fear the fakers one bit. OKC and POR could beat you easily with the right game plan. SA and DAL have a great shot.

• Bugoff Houston, TX
    Feb. 25, 2011 1:21 a.m.

Why is this team so bad. It is very simple. DWill and Millsap are down big in WP48. Jefferson is down from his average. Watson is an improvement.

The wing play is bad with the exception of AK who is playing slightly above normal.

Lately AJ has played better. Corbin tweaked the system. He has to tweak it some more to improve the wing play a lot.

This team was poorly designed based on bad theory. Corbin is going to have to change the offense to fit the strengths of the players he has.

He has got to find some way to get them to play D. They are bad at it.

It is not just one player it is the system, the collective team.

The Jazz consistency was based on EFFICIENCY and average Defense.

Fix the efficiency and get more talent.

IT is not just the wings. The 2 PFs are under performing badly (based on the whole year).

Packed paint = inefficiency. Get shooting wings.

• Bugoff Houston, TX
    Feb. 25, 2011 1:10 a.m.

The myth is that you need a super star. It is not true.

I know many of you bristle when I bring up WP48 scores. For individual players they can be miss leading as they do not capture everything.

But on the team level (collectively) they is an amazingly high correlation between the total WP48 scores (added together) of the players who get the most minutes and the winning percentage.

As a playoff predictor the WP48 scores are nearly fool proof. If there is a big difference between the teams (most minutes played by 8 players) collective WP48 scores you know with a high degree of probability who is going to win the playoff series.

If Greg/KOC wants to win a Championship the formula is very simple. Max the WP48 score of the 8 players who play the most.

That will give you consistent playoff victories.

You do not need big names you need a high team WP48.

Evans leads .34 in WP48, DWill .22 (down from last year), followed by AK .19 and Millsap .16 (also down), AJ .12 and Watson .09. CJ, Bell and Hayward are not helping much. The rest are negative.

• Johnson72 Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 25, 2011 12:53 a.m.

Haaaaa haaaa the Spazz are a no name now, I will always go with my Lakers.. At least they know how to win, If they should lose, let's go Spurs.. At least they know how to win!!!

• Bigpics West Haven, UT
    Feb. 25, 2011 12:34 a.m.

Only disagree with one thing in the article, that in "reality is the Jazz aren't as good as they were 3 days ago." And "disagree" isn't exactly the right word. What I say is the Jazz are "better off" than they were 3 days ago. The truth is they had a cancer in their locker room and as soon as the season ended, next season would have been a Carmelo Anthony like circus overshadowing everything else. And like Cleveland with Lebron James, they stood to get little in return.

D-Will's already started the drama in NJ, stating he's "not sure" he'll stay. So looking at what the Jazz got for maybe 1 1/4 seasons of Derron (or less if a prolonged walk out), and what a nucleus it could become, in the long run, they are a better long-term prospect as a franchise than 3 days ago. By far.